Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2000 Chevy Silverado vibration

jed1894jed1894 Member Posts: 337
edited March 2014 in Chevrolet
Anyone with vibration on 2000 model Chevy trucks.
Ext. Cab. Very bad vibration when towing a
trailer.

Comments

• haulinhaulin Member Posts: 17
    I'm at 550 miles, no shaking yet except a little vibration at takeoff. My 89 does the exact same thing. My 6.0L does idle a little rough, shakes a bit when warm, doesn't do it cold. Will probably take it in next week.
  • lukomskilukomski Member Posts: 6
    I just rolled my '00 Silverado Ext Cab LS 5.3 Auto Z71 off the 40 mins away from my house and notitced no vibrations or any other problems. I have the p265/75r16 Firestones.

I have a 18' Bayliner and will be towing it after I get my truck broke in. I'll look for the vibration and let you know.
  • jed1894jed1894 Member Posts: 337
    Yes please let me know. However, friend has
    Z-71 and has no problems yet. Hopefully you won't go through this situation with yours. Spend more time a dealer than at house. Dealer tried adjusting "drive angle" on drive shaft but not help. will change tires next week.

Thanks
  • richardbrunsrichardbruns Member Posts: 3
    Seems to be a problem with the ext cab 2wd's. They have a two section drive shaft. You may want to check some of the other topics, there has been alot of discussion on this.
  • ronnieeronniee Member Posts: 1
    Have a 2000 regular cab short wheelbase silverado with goodyear tracker tires, 5300 engine and 3.42 rear axle with a vibration between 62 and 65 mph when on rough pavement. It seems like it wants to start a front wheel shimmy. Noticed it on the way home from the dealer and now have 800 miles on the truck. The vibration is sometimes there and sometimes not. Reduction of tire pressure down to 30 psi front and 25 psi rear seems to almost eliminate all vibration. Seems to be the same problem that I read about on the 99 models. Looks like nothing got fixed for 2000.
  • jcmmistojcmmisto Member Posts: 1
    I have a 99 2wd and I feel a vibration on the freeway at speeds of between 60-65.
  • r_arnoldr_arnold Member Posts: 6
    I have a 2000 LT ext, 5.3, 3.43, 2wd, and at first I didn't notice any vibs but now that I have nearly 5000mi and have pulled our boat I do notice a launch vib. I occurs around 5-15mph and varies depending on how hard you push it. I can shake the truck violently on a step grade. But I still luv it just the same
  • silverado5silverado5 Member Posts: 1
    I'm going to order a 2000 Silverado as soon as the
    4th door becomes available (GM tells me November
    production) and am concerned about this vibration
    problem. I will be ordering the HD Silverado. I haven't decided between 2WD and 4WD yet. Anyone having vibration problems with the Silverado 2500
    HD?
  • fcattfcatt Member Posts: 4
    I have a 99 GMC extended cab 2 wheel drive short bed which had two problems. It had chassis squeaks and a mild vibration, The chassis squeak was two problems. First the control arm bushing (replaced control arms)and second the rear spring rate was wrong. GM replaced both the control arms and rear springs which cured the problems. The story I picked up through a Chevrolet Service Manager was that the wrong spring rate in the rear upset the drive train causing vibrations.
  • macland70macland70 Member Posts: 1
    I test drove (2) extended cab Silverado's today in an attempt to determine which engine I prefer. The first was a V8(5300) and it drove very smooth with no vibration. The second was a V8(4800) with only 8 miles showing on the odometer. The second truck had severe vibration at speeds of approximately 65 MPH. The dealer shot me a line about the tire being flat on one side from sitting in one spot so long. That is why I visited this web site. I had planned to order a truck next weekend, but will research this issue further prior to ordering.
  • douthijdouthij Member Posts: 1
    I had a 96 extended cab, 2wd, 5.7 and fought with vibration for six months, disposed of vehicle. I cannot stand a vibration. Visited my dealer today, looking for 00 LT 2wd, 5.3. I am concerned about the problems with vibration. Should I focus on the Toyota Tundra instead?
  • sbreensbreen Member Posts: 14
    I own a '00 Silverado ext cab 1/2 with none of the problems mentioned here, great ride. Lots of opinions abound, but generally the 99s had more problems? (hubs, etc were upgraded) Tim seems fairly knowledgeable about this and what the combinations were, etc...

FWIW, I also heard some complaints of some of the earlier VIN Tundras having some vibration problems *but* the dealers seem quick to take care of the problems, and the folks that reported them seem to get a dealer fix for the problem. The 2wd Tundra I test drove was very smooth and I've heard no complaints from a Tundra owning friend of mine. No such thing as a perfect vehicle! Just trust your gut and get what you want.
  • boop67boop67 Member Posts: 1
    I have 99 Silverado shortbox w/6000miles. The vibration is getting worse by the day. The vibration starts around 55MPH and gets worse the faster you go. I took it to the dealers and they said it was the tires (Goodyear). I don't have them on yet, It's been a week. Hope they're here soon. The vibration is so bad I don't want to drive the truck that often.
  • ovalleyovalley Member Posts: 135
    You need to go back to Post #615. There is quite a bit of information on your problem. I have a reg cab 4.8L with 3.42 locking diff rear end. Dealer could not fix the vibration and GM is buying it back. I have test drove other 2wd Silverados and Seirras, both reg cab and ext cab, which have vibrations. I have also driven ext cabs with 3.73 rear end, no problems. Some of the problems are fixable, some are not. The final package with the buy back checks are in the mail hope to get it this week. Looking to upgrade to an ext cab. Good Luck!
  • ovalleyovalley Member Posts: 135
    FYI, the first time I brought mine in for the vibration problem, they said it was the Goodyear tires (out of round). After replacing all 4 tires and one aluminum wheel there was no significant change.
  • drmyer1drmyer1 Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a 2000 Silverado Extended Cab SB 2WD
    (5.3L)two weeks ago. From day one, it was the
    worst riding truck I've ever owned. Notice the
    past tense. I sold it back to the dealer (for a
    $800 loss, not counting my GM credit card rebate).
    The truck had terribly stiff suspension and
    vibrated under modest load (four adults) at low
    speed and at no load at 65 mph. I told the dealer,
    and they said it had the correct suspension on
    the truck, and that it must be me. After two weeks,
    I decided I had enough. I wasn't about to
    go thru a long battle to get this truck fixed
    (if it could be fixed that is). Therefore, I
    decided to cut my loss and sell it. This was the
    first and last GM vehicle I will ever own. I hope
    that those considering buying this style of truck
    reading this message before making their purchase.
    As for me, I'm just glad to be done with it.
  • RoclesRocles Member Posts: 982
    Chevy with vibration? What a shocker! Gee, Where is Z-BAD?
  • quadrunner500quadrunner500 Member Posts: 2,721
    Love my '99 Silverado, 4x4, regular cab, long-bed, 4.10 axle. Smmooooooth!

Problem is only with the 2wd trucks and 3.42 axle, as far as I can tell.
  • lm1alm1a Member Posts: 1
    My '99 Ext. Cab Short Bed Silverado 5.3, 3.42 rear. It runs great except a slight shake at speeds between 65 & 70. It's like a shimmy. The dealer did not fix it the first time.
  • dallas75dallas75 Member Posts: 72
    drmyer1, sounds like you gave in to easily to this dealer. Hope you have better luck with your next vehicle. By the way, before you purchase it, keep it or one similar over the weekend and DRIVE it.Most dealers will allow you to do this.You may have discovered this problem before losing some green.
  • stevostevo Member Posts: 37
    Had my Z-71 for two weeks. Have slight steering wheel shimmy/shake above 65. Doesn't do it all the time though. Anyone have this problem and get it fixed?
  • dennykdennyk Member Posts: 2
    I plan to order a 2500 4x4 long bed, regular cab, with the 6.0 Silverado soon. Are people experiencing the vibration problem with these trucks as well? Any other problems I should know about? The Chevy dealer told me Friday that Chevy had a nationwide hold on producing long bed trucks. Is this because of the vibration or some other problem.....they did not say. Thank for the help!
  • donjackson52donjackson52 Member Posts: 1
    I just ordered a 2000 silverado LT with extended cab and short bed. I am concerned about vibration problem. I called the local service manager and he said that the problem was with the 99's and early release 2000s. Any pickup ordered now would not have the problem. He blamed the problem on the tires and wheels.

Do you think that he is feeding me a line or is there still a problem?
  • cfunkcfunk Member Posts: 13
    I would ask for a guarantee in writing that your new '00 Silverado will not have any of the above mentioned vibrations.

That will tell how "sure" he is about whether or not the problem has been resolved.

I spoke to a dude the other day, brand new '00 ext, 4.8 with 3.42 and he was complaining about the same 2 vibrations that alot of us have complained about. This guy had now idea what the Internet was (no bias) nor did I mention the vibes, he brought it up. This with only 200 miles on the odometer.

-Funk
  • ftpftp Member Posts: 16
    Are these vibration problems showing up from the beginning? For example, if I test drive my truck on the interstate and take it up to 65mph, would I notice the vibration if it was going to have one? I ordered a 2wd, Short bed, 3.73 locking diff., but I don't plan on taking it if the test drive yields the vibration problem.

Has anyone with a vibration had it resolved yet? Is everyone with the problem just putting up with it until GM comes up with a fix? There must be a lot of 2wd ext. cabs out there.

Has anyone with the 3.73 gears had this problem or is it just the 3.42 gears?

Thanks in advance for any input.

-Frank-
    I just bought a 2000 sil. ext. cab., which was built 7/99. It also has a vibration problem 70-80 MPH. The dealer has done a wide variety of guess work: balance tires, adjusted driveline angle, etc. Now they think it's the tires, so on 9/23/99 their putting on new tires (all four). He's also going to re-adjust driveline angle again (measure angle of 2 piece drive shaft) to make sure it's correct.

I also test drove three (3) other trucks (two 99s and one 00)--two had the vibration, but it felt like tire balancing problems to me; don't know for sure.

I would suggest you take the vehicle over night first and drive it a different speeds on different type roads and check for vibration. Also, get the Alum. wheels (not chrome wheels) because local dealer told me they had to replace chrome wheels on some trucks because of vibration and replace with alum. wheels. That may be my problem (I have chrome wheels)....that's the only thing they haven't replace so far. If the new tires are not the answer, I believe they will change rims/wheels. If that doesn't work, I'm returning truck (lemon law) and switching brands.

Also, sounds like dealer may be feeding you a line on this problem resolved on later models answer he gave you. Because, according to two different dealers, there are no bulletin out on how to correct the vibration problem. Seems like dealers and GM are just trying different things to fix problem. That tells me that no known cure yet is there; or the problem lies with several different components: bad tires, two (2) piece drive shaft, wheels, gearing ratio, hubs, etc.

I'll let y'll know how tires worked out on 9/23/99, evening. Hopefully that's problem for me.

John
  • jerobbinsjerobbins Member Posts: 48
    Does your truck have a locking differential? How about the two trucks that experienced the vibration when you test drove them?

I'm asking because someone in another conference hypothesized that it was the locking differential causing them problem.

He also said that it might be the Firm Ride Suspension. The trucks he tested that had the vibration were all Firm Ride Suspension with a locking differential. The trucks that didn't vibrate were all Soft Ride (Comfort?) suspension.
  • mikey42mikey42 Member Posts: 28
    I have seen several posts on this vibration on trucks with the chrome wheels and/or locking diffs. For the sake of comparisons I have a 00 Ext. Cab built 8/99 with the 5.3L and 3.42 NON-locking diff. and the aluminum wheels and no vibrations at any speed yet. Only 680 miles on it but no problems yet. Oh yeah, towing package but NOT the Firm Ride supension.
  • mgdvhmanmgdvhman Member Posts: 4,157
    Firm ride is 36MM shocks..instead of 32MM.

It has nothing to do with vibration. You may feel a little bit more of it the stiffer the suspension gets??

- Tim
    I have non-locking diff. and non-firm ride. I'm not sure about ration (I think it's 3.42).

I agree with Tim: shocks should not have anything to do with vibration. I am convinced that the source of the vibration is coming from different problems. If not, I'm sure GM would have figured this out already. I also believe that the 1999 vibration and the 2000 vibration are not from same source--possibly some the same, but not all.

Also, we all talk about this vibration problem, but we are not comparing our trucks. What I think may be vibration, may actually be a tire balancing problem or other correctable problem, etc. The vibration problem is so complex that unless we compare we may never know what's wrong.

I will find out on 9/23/99 if my vibration problem is tires or driveline angle. I'm getting a new set of tires from Goodyear and I'm getting my two (2) piece drive shaft check for proper angle. If the tires and driveline angle does not correct the problem, then I'm just giving up on this issue.

Also, I noticed today when I looked at my Goodyear Wrangler tires with 2200 miles on them that the wear was wrong: I don't know what it's called but my right front looked like it had not been rotated. The outer tread was uneven. You truck guys will know what I mean. Anyway, it wasn't that way when I got it. The tire has also developed a small knot/lump on outside of tire that is only noticeable when sunlight hits it directly. Anyway, I believe that's causing my vibration, or at least I hope so.

I'll let everyone know tomor night if my problem was corrected. Suggestion: if you have Goodyear tires, check the wear. This particular tire would not balance when dealer attempted to balance when I had about 600 miles on it.

John
  • jerobbinsjerobbins Member Posts: 48
    Did you have any problems ordering the towing package without getting the firm ride suspension? When I checked with the dealers in my area and on the Chevrolet web site (choose Chevy Trucks->Silverado->Build Your Own) I couldn't get the towing package without getting the firm ride suspension and the larger tires (an extra $300+). I was looking at a 2wd Silverado LS ext cab SB package.
  • mikey42mikey42 Member Posts: 28
    No I didn't have any problems ordering it that way. I just told the dealer what I wanted and he said no problem. Then 2 weeks later he called me to say he had a truck like the one I ordered at another dealer and did I want to talk about it or wait for my order. That implies to me its a common thing to have the towing pkg without the firm ride since he got it that way for his floor stock. Oh mine is a GMC but it should be the same for Chevy, I didn't care if mine was a Chevy or GMC they are the same as far as I am concerned. Some people claim there are differences but in my case the only difference is the Chevy dealer is better than the GMC dealer and the Chevy dealer will get to work on my truck.
  • sf_archangelsf_archangel Member Posts: 1
    Don:

What truck did you replace your Silverado with? Did you break down and buy an F150? Surely you didn't get a TOYota? I am curious, since I really want the Chevy. However, I want the Extended Cab Short Bed 4x4. I am not going to drop 30,000 bones without first being certain that the suit & tie crowd has gotten this bug worked out, and I really did not want a Ford. If they were giving them away, I will NOT buy a Dodge. And TOYota can kiss my pearly white airborne butt, too! Let us ALL know what you decided, Don.

--jg
    Good news, at least for me:

Had new set of Goodyear tires put on today and also had the driveline angle adjusted, per GM tech. support. Guess what..... no vibration. The vibration is gone. However, I still feel something at about 73 mph, but I think it's just the new tires breaking in. It's definity not the same feel as before. Furthermore, the little I felt is so small that I probably would not have noticed it before.

Anyway, I'm not sure what they did to the driveline angle (drive shaft), but either that or the tires cured the problem. I think it was tires.

Make: 2000 Chev. Silv. ext. cab. LS, 4.8, non-locking diff.,

Any questions....let me know.

John
  • jtbla1jtbla1 Member Posts: 6
    My service guy said the problems they had seen involved the chrome steel,Goodyear tire packages.
    I had a service loaner 99 with Firestones and aluminum wheels, had no problems. This got me inspired to trade my '97. Later had a service loaner 99 with Goodyear Wranglers and chrome wheels, between 55-75 steering wheel twisted like the agitator in a Maytag washer...

Tried 2000LT with General AS and std. aluminum wheels....No problems found, no shake, no rattle, but with the 5.3 it do roll, and it do rock...
    Bought it....
  • present4upresent4u Member Posts: 52
    I researched your reported Silverado vibration and discovered the source of your problems...

It's 'RuBlueToo', 'Vince8', and 'Quadrunner' with their lips locked on your exhaust pipe tip sucking for all they're worth.
    When I bought the truck it had Goodyear Wrangler tires on Chrome wheels. I still have the chrome wheels and they replaced the factory goodyear tires with new goodyear wrangler tires. I don't know where the new tires came from, but my vibration is gone.

However, I have a friend who had chrome wheels (1999 model) and he had to eventually switch to alum. wheels to get vibration gone. He also switch General tires to another brand (unknown brand). He's happy now.

For me, the tires and/or driveline angle was the problem.

My suggestion: Get the Alum. wheels--don't know about the tires. Also, make sure driveline angle is correct before driving off. The dealer should be able to get tech. support info. from GM on two (2) piece drive shaft.

Good luck
  • cr3cr3 Member Posts: 42
    after 4 months of waiting & dealer bull i picked a 99 off the lot 5.3, Ls,firm ride,tow pak,and its perfect,no shakes,shimmies,clunks,pinging.even the general tires feel great.truck was built 4 99 in canada.wich i beleive has much better build quality.ive had a nother canada truck and it was floorless too. where are these vibraters comming from.i was getting a 2000 2wd from pontiac mich.im glad i bailed out.not to mention best deals for 99s are going on now.
  • chevy4mechevy4me Member Posts: 203
    I didn't notice some of the problems for a few thousand miles.
  • rskrsk Member Posts: 38
    I have a 2000 Sierra 4x4 ext cab swb. No vibrations, no problems, no complaints and mine was built in Pontiac Michigan. However I have Firestone tires and aluminum wheels. I was checking out one of the Dodge Truck forums and they too are complaining about wheel vibrations. The Dodges that vibrate all have Goodyear tires or is that Goodgarbage tires. Goodyear is having problems by the sounds of things. I would avoid any of the Goodyear truck tires.
  • zbad71zbad71 Member Posts: 226
    No such luck for you. I have none of the problems that some are complaining about. I rectified the only problem I had with a better gasoline refiner.

If you think this problem is bad and is getting a lot of whining, consider all the many complaints on your Fords 97-Present.

I would say that piston slap is worse than select models having wheels or drive shafts causing vibrations. At least GM is doing people right by fixing the problem and not sweeping it under the rug until owners' warranties expire like Ford has, which I experienced first hand with the "list" of problems I had with the pos 98 Ford I owned for 4 months before trading to this AWESOME Silverado!

Ya all have fun now.....
    If I might preempt your reply-bash to Zbad71, the Ducati World Superbike champion rider I confused with Duhamel (oops) was Carl Fogarty. Now back to our regularly scheduled programming.
    Quad,
    Good call! I was looking in some old Cycle Worlds and couldn't find the name. Thanks.

ZBADD,
    Huh? What was I arguing about? Problem is that you left for Mecca so long ago that I forgot what I was talking about. By the way, do you read anything I write? I own all three brands of trucks for my firm. I defend Fords frequently because I feel that not only do they make a superior truck but arguments against them are pathetic.
    "Whhaaaa!! I don't like the way it looks!"
    "Looky here! My Chevy got a biggie engine!"

Chevy makes a fine truck. I love your spinning of topics and never answering questions as well. What's the point in debating anything with you? You either evade or cry and then act like you're the only adult. Huh?

Oh yeah, do you think we really believe that you ever owned a Ford?
  • kunderrinerkunderriner Member Posts: 1
    I am considering replacing a '99 Tahoe LT with a Silverado. The Tahoe was experiencing vibrations at 62-72 MPH. I filed suit (via state arbitration) against Chevy and we settled out.

I wanted to replace the bad '99 Tahoe with a new '99 Tahoe. I cant find one without the vibrations. The mechanic and myself have a theory: the vibration is due to the constantly spinning front drive train (part of the autotrac 4WD???).

Does anyone have any thoughts on this theory? I have been test driving some "new" '98 Tahoes and Suburbans (without autotrac) that don't have the vibrations. I was considering a Silverado, but don't want another Chevy massager. Do the vibrating Silverados have the constantly spinning front drive train/axle?
    There goes the juvenile attitude. You contradict yourself. One minute you are slamming the Chevy and touting the Ford. Now, Chevy' are fine trucks and you own all three. You even mentioned somewhere that you have always had less problems with the Fords you supposedly own. Why would anyone but an idiot keep buying a truck that has more problems than another. Why do you bother buying all three truck makes? Are you saying that you buy all three makes in the same truck class? That makes no sense. If anything, it sounds to me like you are a young kid and probably do not own a business at all.

Let the sand fly children.......
    All you Ford children are the same. You identify the best truck to torque and horsepower stats. Although this is important, reliability and safety, as well as fit and finish/overall driveability and useability are far more important. Of course, in the Silverado Vs. F150 topic, all anyone heard spew from your sewer hole was torque. Big deal.

The 4.9l was not the "best" truck engine ever made. I never said that. Again, you can't read. You read what you want to read. My 10 year old has better reading and composition skills!
    I stated that "for a 6 cylinder truck, it was the ONLY 6 CYLINDER that I felt was "ADEQUATE" in a full size truck. That 300 six would run circles around that pos 4.6l V8, so called truck engine,....ANY DAY! Starting everyday is a good advantage over the new model Fords, I would say.

Go get a kool-aid pop and go watch your Power Rangers....
    ZBADD,
    Calm down hypocrite. I've bought different brands over a period of YEARS. What a tool. Most of my fleet is Ford now but that's because I grew up a Chevy fan and it tokk years to overcome such sentiment. I don't just own half-tons. Actually, we have more one-tonners and up. I've bought trucks depending on deals offered and transactions due to timing.
    Ultimately, I could care less because when searching for a truck, I buy them nearly on the spot. Kind of like a reciprocating saw at the moment: I prefer Milwaukee but I'll buy a Makita or Bosch if on sale and there at the moment. I don't "NEED" the Sawzall rather, I prefer it. As with trucks, I PREFER Ford over the others.
    Z- You are the child here. Never accepting an attribute of Ford's with your undying loyalty to Chevy. I love how you critisized the F-150's looks yet you want us to believe you bought one? Right. Just like you were in the Corps? OK.
    I have consistently stated who I am over the past two years at this site. I won't divulge my true personal information due to my paranoia of the web but if you are ever in the Philly area--just let me know and maybe we could arrange something.
    I'm tired of responding to you. With this, I bid you farewell in the debate department. Our paths will cross I'm sure but until you can actually answer questions asked of you--I have no desire to converse with you further.
    Roc
    Post Script: Why do you use this topic to bait me? Why don't you go back where we were or another site?
    I can't buy the constantly spinning front drivetrain theory. In 2wd drive mode, all that's spinning are the front axles and planet gears in the differential, not the front drive shaft, ring gear and pinion, or transfer case. Not really much rotational inertia.

The second reason is that with the '99-'00 Silverado/Sierras, 95% of the vibration reports are on 2wd trucks with a 3.42 axle and rack and pinion steering. Now the point I'm making is that a comparison between what's going on with Tahoes with autotrack and Silverados may be as invalid as comparisons between Silverado 2wd and Silverado 4x4. But in general, I think there are few, if any vibration reports on the 4x4 trucks.
  • mgdvhmanmgdvhman Member Posts: 4,157
    Settle Down!

Why come into a Topic and do nothing but make insults and yell.

I mean who would do that?...even enough to have a reputation for it??.

DOHHHH!!

hehehheheee
This discussion has been closed.