Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Acura TL Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• wr_gwr_g Member Posts: 33
    mdhauke, thanks for your reply.

Buying a CD occurred to me but when I factored in the tax impact, I don't come out ahead. You see, I don't get a deduction for the interest paid at 2.9% yet I must pay fed and state tax on the 4% CD earnings. So, using a 38% tax rate (fed 31% plus NJ 7%), I really only earn approximately 2.5% (4% x 62% net of tax) on the CD after I pay the government on the interest earned.
  • hoyahenryhoyahenry Member Posts: 399
    Your calculation is only valid if you cannot afford any part or all of the car payment out of current earnings.

Since you considered a long-term CD, I should be able to assume you can afford the car payments out of current earnings.

In 5 years, $30K at 2.5% after tax will earn almost $3990 in interest, whereas a $30K loan at 2.9% will incur ~$2267 in interest charges.
    hoyahenry, that's interesting and I see how the math works.

It seems that your calculations assume 0 interest on the $540 monthly payment. So, the loan declines in balance by $540 a month resulting in a lower overall interest cost as compared to the $30 grand earning compounded interest. But that comparison leaves out the interest earnings on $540 per month that would be earning interest in a CD if I didn't have to make the car payment. Also, not sure if there is a loan origination fee but I would think so.

In other words, if I buy the car outright and instead of paying $540 a month on the car loan, I simply increase the balance in a 5 year CD by $540 per month, I think the gap is closed somewhat depending on the rate of interest earned. Query if a bank allows me to increase a 5 yr CD on a monthly basis, perhaps not. I know you can reduce a CD in increments but not sure if you can add in increments. If not, I s/b able to buy 5 year CD's of around $500 each month but the interest is likely around 3% or so.

In any case, your advice is appreciated and I will give it further consideration particularly since interest rates are expected to rise and, as such, I may be able to earn more on a CD if I wait a few months before investing the $30 grand.
  • duffy2duffy2 Member Posts: 1
    hello all,

i wouldn't rush to dismiss the "DVD Audio" capability of the tl's audio system. "DVD Audio" produces outstanding fidelity from the appropriate medium. this is unique inside carland.
  • jeromejerome Member Posts: 5
    Is this nationwide, available on NEW TL's?
    I am not finding this available in Mid-Atantic.
    I saw someone in a prior message mention it but I agree with you. I don't see the 2.9% being offered on new TLs either.
  • rainmakerrainmaker Member Posts: 5
    A few hours ago I test drove the Acura TL loaded.
    Price with Nav; 34,466 - out the door including tax, tags,etc. The only options included were a sunvisor and mud guards. Can any tell me if this price can be beat anywhere close to Washington DC?
    Now on the Accord; out the door price was 24,600. with out the Nav system.
    Comparision between the Acura & Accord:
    The Acura was smoother, faster, and seemed more comfortable. (guess it should for 10k difference)
    Like the editors here have said- the acura was slugish from take off- but within a few feet- it has plenty of take off power. The Accord, while very nice, was not quite as peppy. It was comfortable- but again slightly under the acura.
    I think I may go for the Acura if I can buy one around 34k out the door. Iam 54 years old- I deserve it..(laugh) Any suggestions?
  • mdhaukemdhauke Member Posts: 202
    nobody can help you out because tax and tags are different in every state so we really have no clue what your were offered for the vehicle. Give the price without state tax and tags and somebody might respond.
  • rainmakerrainmaker Member Posts: 5
    mdhauke; thanks for advise. Price I just received for the Acura TL was 33,600. with nav. mud guards, and sunvisor on moon roof
    Anywhere I can get cheaper? Washington Dc area. Thanks
  • hoyahenryhoyahenry Member Posts: 399
    I think you got it for the most part, but the interest on 500/month is negligible compared to the interest on 30K in a CD. You also need to look at laddering the CD - which is how you add to the CD periodically- by creating a portfolio of CDS with different maturity durations.

You have 30K in hand. Consider what happens if you suddenly need 10K for some reason - you can close the CD, forfeit the interest, and move on - or make the purchase on a credit card or get a personal loan at interest rates above 8%.

Put that 30K into the car, and you forfeit the opportunity to have the money work for you - and take a massive hit in net worth based upon the depreciation factor when they hand you the key.
  • cjs2002cjs2002 Member Posts: 341
    see I have a lap top and a program that allows me to burn dvd cds for the car; yet not only does it let me burn the dvds it lets me transform my regular cds into a makeshift format so at least you can get some improvement while listening in the TL... I tried it out on a test drive and it sounded great I hope they keep the 5.1 surround
  • hals120hals120 Member Posts: 20
    What program do you use to burn the DVD's?
    That sounds about average for what people are getting these days. Of course a lot depends on what part of the country you're in.
  • novellnovell Member Posts: 26
    Rosenthal Acura in Gaithersburg MD quoted me $30,300 (invoice)for a non Navigation unit when I was their earlier last week. I wound up buying a Accord Sedan EX V6 non Navigation for $22,400, $490 freight and $100 processing fee, plus tags and tags at Criswell in Germantown. I chose the Accord because of the softer suspension and didnt feel the Acura was worth the extra dough. I drove both cars back to back. Invoice shouldnt be difficult to get with Navigation IMHO. Shoot for Invoice and I bet you get it (if not lower like me : ) Good Luck.
  • maddawgmaddawg Member Posts: 3
    I purchased an Acura last week in Michigan. TL with Navi, Anthracite, ebony interior, for 32,999. With tax in MI came to 35 even. Do you guys think price was good???
  • sjmurray3sjmurray3 Member Posts: 90
    Please tell me how you got such a low price on the EXV6 with leather? That price is well under invoice minus holdback? I may be buying tomorrow! I too love the Acura, but get torn thinking alls I really need is the Accord!
    Yes, about $900 less then what I got for the same trim cept I had the 6 spd with protection package in January.
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    We live in DC and just picked up on Saturday a TL 6-speed Nav with HPT package for $33,308 ($1,000 over invoice) in my former hometown in Pennsylvania. I had Radley Acura of Falls Church, Karen Radley Acura, Rosenthal Acura and Chevy Chase Acura all tell me they couldn't come close to that price for a Navigation model, especially a 6-speed with HPT. The automatic Navigations are a little easier to come by.

My suggestions are to take a deal at $33,600 if it's a boni-fide offer and you like everything about the particular vehicle. I was pretty picky about color (anthracite/ebony) and not having a single extra test drive mile on my vehicle. Those constraints, along with the fact that only about 25% of the TL's are Nav and only about 20% of those are 6-speeds, meant that mine had to be factory ordered. DC area dealerships were willing to do that, if I was willing to wait 6+ weeks and pay MSRP.

My other benefit of buying (and registering) the car in PA was that I only paid sales tax on the difference between my trade and the new car (saving over $1,200 compared to DC) and PA doesn't require a front license plate, which makes the front end of the TL look a lot better, IMO. We do have a second home in PA, so the deal is legit.

As far as the Accord vs. TL comparison, I didn't drive the Accord. But the TL 6-speed with it's stiffer suspension, Brembo brakes and HPT tires give it a handling and performance advantage that was important to me.
    I told them this is what I willing to pay or walk and meant it. I had a 4runner with 48K miles that was certified to a 100K and told them I really don't need the car, (which I didn't). They wound up buying the truck for $250 more than Fitzgerald offered me. I can't believe how nice the Honda is for $22,400. The Acura just didnt seem that much nicer to me. Faster and sportier yes. Driving 30K plus miles a year I care about comfort and reliability more than anything else. I considered a used RL, but couldnt see myself paying $25K or more for a 3-4 year old car. I was looking at a 2001 RL with 18K miles at Pohanka for $28K, before I went to drive the Accord. Who knew I would be practical at age 35....
  • kennyg5kennyg5 Member Posts: 360
    A brand new RL with Nav, XM and all gadgets is only $36.5k, which is about $10k off MSRP. So, the 01 RL for $28k is a bad deal, even if it came with Nav. IMHO, the Accord is no match for the TL in terms of performance, luxury quotient and fit and finish. Then, of course, the TL is $7k more, but you get what you pay for :-)
  • otep89ersotep89ers Member Posts: 1
    LAST MAY 21ST,FRIDAY AROUND 930PM MY NEW ACURA TL DELIVERED TO MY HOUSE AND ITS UNBELIEVABLE. THIS IS THE BEST CAR BUYING EXPERIENCE I WILL NEVER FORGET. GOT WHITE DIAMOND PEARL WITH PARCHMENT INT 5 SPEED AUTO W/O NAV FOR $30,995 WHICH IS $695 OVER THE INVOICE PRICE WHICH I BELIEVED IS A FAIR DEAL AND NOT JUST THE PRICE BUT THE BUYING EXPERIENCE. I THINK THE PEOPLE THAT I MADE BUSINESS WITH IS THE ONE WHO MADE THE DIFFERENCE. THATS WHY THEY'RE THE ACURA'S #1 VOLUME DEALER IN SO CAL, STA MONICA ACURA ,MY SINCERE THANKS TO SMACURA FROM A FAMILY IN BAKERSFIELD.
    The 01 RL was certified no Nav, I am sure I could have talked them down around to $24-25K. i just didnt think it was worth that for a 4 year old car. I disagree with you on your perception on the fit finish. The Accord is outstanding, same as the TL as a matter of fact they are built on the same assembly line and have the exact same paint schemes. Personally the extra $7K wasnt worth the harsher suspension and differences for me. The TL is a great car, just not for me currently. If it would have had a softer suspension, I most would have ponied up.
  • superbeaglesuperbeagle Member Posts: 30
    Washington DC area over Memorial Day Weekend for Acura TL 5AT Non-Nav: $31,000 (including destination charge, wheel locks, and trunk tray), plus $100 "dealer processing fee" plus taxes and tags. Cash deal, no trade. Relied heavily on recent posts on Edmunds in negotiating price, and dealer (seeing market) responded immediately. Thanks to the earlier message-posters.
  • highenderhighender Member Posts: 1,358
    wow...nice to have the manual ...with all the beefed up goodies...I'll let her know the differnece and deicde which one to opt for...depends on her...she does like a sporty car....no corollas for her....
    OK...Ill take your advice and test drive both before we make a decision...

good story...LoL...your wife has some good one liners :)

We got our first kid in 1994 also....

Have fun in your rocket... !
  • sharpwitzsharpwitz Member Posts: 30
    When can we start ordering the 2005 TL?

When ordering a car starting a new year (2005), any chance that a buyer can still negotiate below MSRP?

Forget DVD-Audio, will 2005 include an MP3 player?

Is it ridiculous that a Navi system commands so much value? instead of paying an additional $2000, we're all paying $3000 - $3500 more. Might as well buy a plasma tv for your home. Also, at that price you can buy a decent aftermarket Alpine nav with dvd, xm, and mp3 capabilities and get it installed. Is Alpine really the best Navi system out there?
    FWIW, I think I "only" paid about a $300-500 premium over the $2,000 MSRP difference for the Navigation. I doubt I could have done better than $500-$700 over invoice for a 6-speed non-Navi in my color choice.

I do think there will eventually be more negotiating room on the 2005's, given reports that over 50% of future TL's will be made with Navigation. I'm not sure I saw the particular Alpine system you are referring to, but in general I am wholly unimpressed with the aftermarket nav systems. The ones I've seen have small screens and don't integrate well with the rest of the car's systems. Even the manager at my local Myer Emco store (high end audio / video in the DC area) recommended getting the TL's Nav system, claiming that nothing they sell would be able to match all the features without looking like a tacky add-on. He also claimed that the TL's audio system is the best in any car, period, and that DVD 5.1 audio will be the standard for the future. (Over my head, I'm still trying to get my old 8-tracks tapes copied to cassettes).

IMO, the TL Nav system is heads and shoulders above the best other systems I've seen. Lexus is a distant second and Mercedes & BMW are two or three rungs down. The full 8" screen on the TL is even a rung up from the MDX and RL systems. In addition, with the Nav system you also have voice activation of the audio and HVAC systems. Not that this is necessary, but it's a nice bonus.

Clearly, the TL's current technology is one of it's big features. However, as others who have followed my internal debates know, I was hesitant trading "gizmo technology" for pure, unadulterated driving dynamics (especially given that I was trading a no-nonsense Honda S2000, which I really liked). But after test driving a lot of alternatives, I concluded that in order to get substantially better driving dynamics in a car that could fit our family, I would have had to jump to a BMW 545i 6-speed at about $56,000 through European Delivery. That wouldn't have been a bad choice, I-drive and wacky ergonomics notwithstanding, but I never took the S2000 to the race track in 2.5 years, so I think the TL 6-speed was a reasonable and prudent compromise for our family sedan.

If the TL Nav system isn't worth to you the current premium you would have to pay in your local market, then get one without it or wait for the 2005. I believe the underlying car is a very good one, Nav or not.
  • healthhokiehealthhokie Member Posts: 2
    Looking for Blue Pearl/Quartz int. TL w/o Nav. Been quoted 31,600 (2 different dealers) with the following options (Trunk tray, AW mats, side moulding, door edge guards, wheel locks, mud flaps). Walked out of Rosenthal.

This still seems a little high. What do you think? Appreciate any help.

Also regarding the TL vs the Accord posts earlier.If I cant get a good deal on a TL I will get the Accord. I dont think you can beat the value and it is still nice to drive.
  • oidvoidoidvoid Member Posts: 25
    Can't really help you because I haven't actually started in with the dealers yet. I will be getting to it soon, though, as my current Accord lease is up in July. The Accord has been great, BTW.

Anyway, I was wondering why you walked out of Rosenthal. It's right around the corner from me, but I certainly would have no problem driving a distance if they were jerks or if there's a better deal.

Thanks
  • healthhokiehealthhokie Member Posts: 2
    They were pushing me to buy one off the lot and they didn't have my color combination. We haggled over the trade in on my car though I was asking below the Edmunds and KBB trade in value. Said they couldnt get my color combo for a couple of weeks so it was a take it or leave it deal so I left it. I thought they had room in the price and the trade in value. Not in that big of hurry so I walked out. Manager was somewhat cocky, didnt seem that hungry for a deal. The salesman was a new guy, very good, very nice.
    Now that I've actually completed my transaction on a 2004 TL, I am willing to provided details and dealer/salesman references by e-mail to those looking for a good deal without BS and willing to go to Pennsylvania. I have made my e-mail public in my profile if you are interested.

The dealership also sells Mercedes, and I believe they have one incoming AMG SL65 that is unspoken for. Just in case you have about $180k burning a hole in your pocket and think 600+ hp and 600+ ft-lbs is worth it!
  • dhanderdhander Member Posts: 41
    Sounds like the ole good cop - bad cop and at the beginning of the month on top of that! I will never negotiate a car in person again, just a waste of time. Call and speak to the fleet/internet manager. You can call/email a lot of people from the comfort of your home and not waste all your time. I'm amazed more people haven't caught onto this practice yet.

Good Luck!
  • lee_wlee_w Member Posts: 239
    If you mark your email public in your profile instead of posting it on the boards, you'll avoid most of the spam harvesters.

Click on Town Hall Profile to change your email settings; click on a poster's name to view their profile.

Lee_W, Host
  • acumdacumd Member Posts: 5
    I have not been able to test drive the manual TL at all ! Every deal I call says that they are in low supply and high demand, and people buy them without test driving them. Is this true ? All you TL 6M owners out there, did you not test drive it before you bought it ?

How can I get the feel of the car without test driving it. This is an expensive car, so I don't want to buy it without feeling its response.

Please help !
    I did. The stick is a little hard to get use to. It took me almost a couple months to become good at it. I drove a CAMARO stick for 5 years and I still had trouble. I killed IT twice in the dealer parking lot trying to drive it out and for a few weeks I would kill it once and a while at a stop light or I would be very jerky when shifting. The trick I eventually found out is to let the clutch out slowly and apply gas before the clutch is all the way out. Know that I'm used to it the car is twice as fast once you get to know how to use the clutch on this particular vehicle.
  • vitalik_nycvitalik_nyc Member Posts: 1
    Looking to lease TL04 w/nav system (36 months, 12000 m/y, 0 down). I'm trying to find out how much people in NJ pay/month for these terms? If you lease on other terms, please specify the details. Any information will be very appreciated!
  • uvacarmanuvacarman Member Posts: 9
    I left a message a while ago, but I know that they get flushed down as time goes by. Towards the end of May, I got a Silver/Quartz leather non-nav TL for $29,900. I got the protection package(all weather floor mats, trunk tray..inlcuded in that.) I did pay a 250 processing fee, but supposedly in VA, we all have to. So, w/ the fee, you should accept around 30,150, but not too much higher. Go to Radly Acura, the internet salesman is great!! In fact, he told me that somebody who read my old post on this forum called him and bought a car. I hope this helps all of you shoppers out there!
  • bulkkbulkk Member Posts: 1
    Three weeks ago, I negotiated a price on a red, 6sp non-Nav for 31,300. Fairly OK with that price (it included all the extras -- trunk mat, etc., that I wanted.) Was told it might take up to six weeks, but they would look for one in region and it could be just a few weeks. I put down $2K, and left happy.

Unhappy today - I went and asked to confirm the timeline as I realized they were not finding one on a nearby lot. This is the kicker -- I was told that not only would I have to wait for direct from factory, but they "missed the 6-speed run" on the line, so it WOULD BE THREE MONTHS!

Should I tell them to stuff it and get my deposit back? I still want the car and they are my nearest dealer (Prestige Acura in Lawrenceville.) I feel a victim of "bait and switch". Hell, the '05's will be out around then. Will they have a higher price? Thanks for your comments and suggestions.
  • go_mdx1go_mdx1 Member Posts: 135
    With the the RL's so deeply discounted right now, I must admit I was very close to changing my order a month ago from a TL to an RL to minimize long term depreciation. Of course, this is a bit of an apples and oranges comparison whereby the TL has the gadgets and horsepower vs. the RL's space and luxury ride.

Right now, my guess is that the average price paid for a TL w/NAV is $33,500 which compares to about $36,500 for the RL. Given a 4 year/60K depretiation, KBB shows a 4 year old TL retails for $17,780 vs. an RL for $22,500. Of course, depreciation on an RL will be more rapid once the new model comes out in the fall. Perhaps the same may be said for the TL as its popularity diminishes in the next few years as competitors introduce new models (i.e. Infinity M35 and M45 come to mind).

To net it out, the $10,000 in saving in a 2004 RL didn't turn out to be that good of a long-term bargain. So, I choose the TL for the technology and more sporty ride.
  • klee3klee3 Member Posts: 57
    I've been quoted $33,600 drive out for non-nav TL which is approximately $31,100 + TTL + Miscellaneous Fees. It's extremely difficult to get it at invoice price and the price you quoted is below invoice. Does anybody have similar deals in the HOUSTON area? If so, please reply. Thanks.
  • zoom79zoom79 Member Posts: 1
    This message is for bulkk1589-- Had the same problem with that dealership. Im only 0.0 miles from them. Would not give me any price quote, so off I went to Davis Acura, Langhore, Pa -- they treat you like royalty-- Picked up my new TL May 01... Its been heaven ever since..
  • acumdacumd Member Posts: 5
    Thanks for replying mdhauke ..

I've been driving a stick shift for 8 years, so I think I'll be able to adjust to the quirks of each car. But the dealer doesn't even allow me to test drive the manual. Their excuse is that they don't have one available.

How did you get them to give you a test drive car ?

Thanks !
    I didn't, I ordered it over the internet from Iraq ;) The first time I test drove it was when I picked it up off the lot a week after my return.
  • arizonaroadsarizonaroads Member Posts: 9
    The temperatures in Arizona have now climbed above 105, and likely will stay there through September. I figure there are far fewer customers out there on the asphalt than back in January, so it might be a good time to start talking seriously about a purchase. After some time reading posts and reviews, and looking at several cars, I am really considering the Acura TL with the 6 speed manual. No point in justifying my choice; if you're reading this, you too probably think the TL is a truly fine car for the money.

And money is an issue for almost everyone. I live in Arizona, which has only four Acura dealerships. I have read several posts on experiences with dealerships in California, New Jersey, the D.C. area, Houston, and other places, but rarely see any mention of Arizona dealerships. Does anyone have any comments or advice on the Acura stores in Phoenix (3 dealers) or Tucson (1 dealer)? Any good reports? Any warnings? And can anyone report on what prices are being paid (before TTL, doc fees, etc) for a 6 speed TL, either non-navi or with? Any comments would be appreciated!
  • mwrublewskimwrublewski Member Posts: 1
    Just put my money down on a Anthersite (sp) Quartz Navi, from Sussman in Maple Shade Jersey with a port day of June 16. I was happy with them and after stopping in 6 times on and off on my way home from work they met my 33.5k price. Sales manager even worked with me to find the one I wanted in the port and even gave me a late delivery date which I needed for the change in jobs, with pro pack, all weather floor mats and the moon roof visor I know its not the best price I have seen posed here but it was good. If anyone in the area wants the name of my sales man send me a email and I will let you know.. Cant wait for the week of the 20th :)
  • erk5erk5 Member Posts: 21
    Hi maddawg, that sounds like a good price. which dealer in Michigan? Has anyone found similar prices in Nevada, arizona, texas or other surrounding western states? The prices in CA are still insane, especially for NAV.
  • ebirdyebirdy Member Posts: 3
    I live in SoCal but go to pick up my TL/Navi this weekend...in Ashland, OR. By far the best price we were quoted, and got the 2.9% financing to boot.
    Elk Grove in the Sacramento area was also dealing pretty well around the end of May, but OR was still $600 less...plus a great road trip home! Got an e-mail 6/7 from Oakland wanting to know what they could do to earn my business so perhaps they're willing to talk, too. And MV Acura said they would attempt to match my OR price, but they didn't have the exact color combo I wanted, and for this much moolah, who wants to settle?
    Buying in OR = no OR sales tax, so you go to the CA DMV when you get home, register it and pay the tax in the county you live in. No other requirements here because all Acura's are 50-state vehicles. For any other make, you must be sure the emissions sticker on the engine says meets Federal AND California standards (explicitly!) or you can't bring it in.
    Hope this helps.
  • bmgbmg Member Posts: 1
    How much did you pay for the TL/Navi in Ashland? Did you get a price for the non-nav?
  • ebirdyebirdy Member Posts: 3
    We paid Ashland's TMV: $34,167. Because car is coming straight from factory, told them NO pro pkg. Title fee in OR an additional $50. Will pay sales tax of about $2650 once back in CA +/- $300 for license/registration. This is an AT/Navi/Deep Green Pearl/Parchment. Not quite the best price I've seen on Edmunds, but definitely better than anything quoted to us in CA by $600.
    Hope this helps.
  • jm2zajm2za Member Posts: 3
    I shopped around N. Jersey and found supply and negotiations to be limited as well. I wound up at MotorWorld in Wilkes-Barre PA, and found a great deal. The car I wanted (Black, Auto w/ Nav) was in stock. Although that was luck, they treated me pretty well. It is a bit of a drive, but they quoted me a price over the phone before I drove there. $33,000 even, with mats, truck tray, wheel locks and the temporary license ($50) to get it into Jersey. They quoted me $31,000 even for a non-nav. I wouldn't use the internet sales person though, couldn't get a price from them over the phone, ask for a floor sales associate.

Love the car... good luck
  • bobbyzbobbyz Member Posts: 7
    I've leased Acuras through that dealership (Precision Acura) for 13 years and when I contacted them for a quote on a 2004 TL last month, they jerked me around and acted like my loyalty was non existent. Showed me absolutely no respect.

Try visiting Sussman Acura in Jenkintown, PA. About 40 miles West of the Lawrenceville/Princeton area and well worth the trip. Lease price was better than Davis Acura (my second choice) and we wound up leasing our 2004 TL from them 2 weeks ago. It was painless and the best experience I've ever had buying or leasing. Sale rep was excellent to deal with. Highly professional, knowledgeable, No BS. E-mail me and I'll give you his name. Good luck.