Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Acura TL Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• aahwangaahwang Member Posts: 10
    Hi Lucky,

Oh, one more thing. If you give me your email address, I will send you the exact amount that I paid for the vehicle. (I don't quite want to advertise the amount "in fairness" to the dealer)

aahwang
  • tlorchry300ctlorchry300c Member Posts: 3
    TL 6M w/ Navigation in Anthracite/Black
    splash guard, door trip, side molding, wheel lock
    no extra warranties or insurances
    TIME SPENT ~1 1/2 hours

Radley Acura in VA
    TOTAL $34863.50 + $1720.50(MD tax)
    Free Oil Change for Life
    Just about KBB Dealership Trade on my ACCORD
    Hinted that I did ok, but there was possibly room for more.

Live in MD, but went to VA where stock was better. I wasn't too hopeful of a good price just b/c of the TMV listed at MSPR -200ish. But it was pretty easy to get a feel that discounting was available.

Too bad I didn't pay too much attention at the financing office cuz they added on another 300 for processing and dealership tax. Probably could've pushed for that if my ADD didn't start kicking in. :)

Good Luck on getting the best buy for under 40k.
    The Chrysler 300C is a damn nice head turner for a similar dollar, though.
  • chookalishchookalish Member Posts: 14
    <<<Too bad I didn't pay too much attention at the financing office cuz they added on another 300 for processing and dealership tax.>>>

They really do get you at the financing office, once you've relaxed, don't they? I'm still retrospectively burned from 9 years ago about paying $200 for window ID etching at the finance manager's office- I was so happy that I'd completed the deal, that I let them add that on.
    <<<Now just a couple hours ago I got an email from Downey, offering the TL with, mud guards, wheel locks and destination for $31788 (no nav), and with nav for $34088.>>>

I made a mistake here, which Pete so graciously caught. The email quote from Downey was $34888. Sorry, all.
    Ken
  • cpa4ucpa4u Member Posts: 136
    I finally bought a TL yesterday from Gary Force in Nashville. I feel like I got a pretty good deal, not the best, but didn't have to drive 5+ hours or fly someplace to get it. I think it is possible to get a good deal there, you just have to talk to the right guy at the right time. Let me know if you'd like the guy's name.
  • igibanigiban Member Posts: 530
    aahwang,
    Not every dealer posts inventory on web. Is that the only way you used to track, other than visiting the dealers I guess.

Was the price pretty much set from your 'cross-calling' b4 you visited SC Acura? Did you try to ask them to throw in some freebies (like accessories) and they didn't yield?
    How did you get Free Oil Change for Life? Do you still have to pay full though for more-than-just-oil-change types of services (7,500+ miles)?
  • aahwangaahwang Member Posts: 10
    Hi igiban,

yeah..not every dealer posts inventory on the web, unfortunately. For those, if you really curious what their inventories are like, and if you have time, you can go to their lot, and jot down the VIN and color for the TLs, and watch it a couple of days apart....

The price was pretty much set before I visited SC Acura. I didn't ask them to throw in freebies, actually, as I didn't have any much interest in other accessories (except maybe the heavy duty floormat). If you are interested to know how much I paid, send me an email at aahwang_edmunds@yahoo.com and I will let you know! =)

aahwang
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    Sounds like you got a decent deal for the DC area.

However, for others in the DC area, I recommend considering PA or Ohio. I got a TL 6-speed Nav w/HPT package for $33,308 with no dealer ad-ons or processing fees in Erie, PA. No free oil changes for life, though.
  • compcomp Member Posts: 43
    Yes, I would be interested in the name. What is your opinion of the encounter? Which model did you pick up? Was there 2 weeks ago looking for a NAVI and they did not have one on the lot. Next one in was due at end of August. Kind of hard to negotiate without having a car on the lot.
  • rnlrnl Member Posts: 1
    Hi aahwang! Although I've never posted here before,I've lurked here for several days and saw your post. I'm interested in a 2004 TL w/o navi. but don't have any experience in negotiate to get the best deals. Can you tell me the price you paid for your TL? My email is leele89@yahoo.com. thank you T
  • scott31scott31 Member Posts: 292
    You only get free oil changes if you buy their 7500, 15000, 22500, etc service packages.

A plain oil and lube and tire rotation (at 7500 miles) is a lot less than their $100+ 7500 mile package deal.

Basically their free oil change for life is not worth the paper it's printed on.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    Folks, this is a message board format, and exchanging TL buying experiences via e-mail deprives Edmunds.com and our Town Hall membership of the information for our knowledge base. Please refrain from using this board as an e-mail address exchange - Thanks!

Also, posting your e-mail on a public message board exposes you to receiving even more SPAM e-mail!

kirstie_h
    Roving Host & Future Vehicles Host

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Dealers always charge more for their services, esp. on luxury makes. Where do you bring your Acura for services? Just local mechanics?
  • honda_loverhonda_lover Member Posts: 4
    I have been actively looking for TL auto with either nav and no navi. I have the same problems as you guys have about the supple/demand in Orange and LA counties. Last week, Cerritos Acura told me that they have 3 TL's with navi and they just wanted to discount few hundred from MSRP. I think I would wait for '05 because I rather pay few hundred or even 1K more to get 1 year newer car. I have heard that Acura will build 50% of '05TL with navi. Probably in few more months, when '05 comes out, TL will not be as hard to find as now. I also think to buy Lexus RX330 instead. My friend got one at 34K (about 5K below sticker). I have '99 TL with 92K miles and I plan to sell it. Probably the best I can sell is about 12000 in which, I lost about 60% in 5 years. I'm surprised that TL has really low resale value compared to Lexus and Honda.
    I've got a bad experience with a salesman in SoCal I had to share here.
    Last week, I called the Covina dealership and spoke with a salesman; I told him the prices I was down to negotiating with other dealers in the area- he then told me "You got a good deal." Then he literally hung up on me.
    I can deal with that fine- the price was a good deal, they don't want my business.
    Then last night, the same sales guy at Covina has the audacity to call me and left a voice mail for me that he "spoke to his manager and they can match the price I spoke about last week."
    Obviously, I will not be purchasing my car from Covina.
  • jrkellyjrkelly Member Posts: 21
    That's exactly what happened to me here in DFW. The guy at Vandergriff wouldn't budge on the price or match the price of the other dealership. So the next day I went to Mac Churchill to purchase my TL for $600 over invoice. The salesman from Vandergriff called me on my cellphone while we were at the other dealership buying our car. Miracoulsy, he was able to drop his price down to meet the dealership I was at. I told him that I didn't appreciate his salesman song and dance routine and then I hung up on him!
  • compcomp Member Posts: 43
    Kentucky huh. That is interesting because I am now negotiating with a dealer in KY for a TL with Navigation. We're down to $33,500 with no fees. I am waiting for him to value my trade. If it all works out I should have exactly the color I want in mid to late August. If it doesn't work out I will hold on to what I have and see what next year brings. Enjoy your TL, from a brief test drive I was very impressed.
    "Dealers always charge more for their services, esp. on luxury makes. Where do you bring your Acura for services? Just local mechanics?"

No, I always bring my car to the dealer for service, but instead of getting the $100+ 7500 mile service, I get an oil and lube, and tire rotation. Costs about $46
  • primaxxprimaxx Member Posts: 3
    just recently purchased my 2004 Acura TL with navigation w/ protection package, splash guards, trunk tray, and wheel locks for $37,400 out the door (including tax, fees, and license) from Keyes Acura in Van Nuys, CA.

No other dealership could match or beat the offer except Cerritos Acura, but Keyes is closer to where I am. Should note that this was an all cash purchase, so this influenced the final price.

Sales and staff at Keyes Acura are superb: friendly, very knowledgable, and easy to deal with. I understood why they were the #1 West Coast Acura dealer for 4 years straight!!!
    What about 15Kx miles $300+ service? Do you then use dealer's at that time?
  • tcltcl Member Posts: 42
    Is that make your price somewhere $ 1000 over invoice before T&L?
    Are your purchase thru the internet manager or just walk in. I would appreciate your information. I am surprised why So Cal price still so high, there are more than 10 Acura dealers with in a 100 miles drive. I hope price will get better when the 2005 model coming out.
    if you base it on edmunds.com's invoice price with navigation, it's about $1780 more than invoice. but probably saved about $200+ extra with the dealer installed options that came with it (protection package, splash guards, wheel locks, and trunk tray). i first contacted the internet manager, then did a walk in. salespeople at Keyes are great!

TL in SoCal is in very high demand (esp. if you want a popular color and navi) and dealerships are now selling the TL's before they even arrive. 2004 models probably won't discount that much when the 05's come out because there's no major change done to it....if anything, acura has a tendency to do changes on the headlights, from what the dealer told me.
    "What about 15Kx miles $300+ service? Do you then use dealer's at that time? "

I always take my car to the dealer for service, but I NEVER get their 7.5k, 15k, 22.5k, 30k etc "package deals"
  • cpa4ucpa4u Member Posts: 136
    From what I've read other places, there is at least 1 of the 2 Ky dealers that might deal on a given day. The guy that I spoke with in Lexington seemed like a really nice guy. He just had pinstripes, protection package and a few other things already on the car that he wanted to get all the $$$ for. I didn't want any of that and didn't want to pay for it. Good luck. Hope it works out.
    'I always take my car to the dealer for service, but I NEVER get their 7.5k, 15k, 22.5k, 30k etc "package deals"'

How do you get the service contents of a 30K service w/o using the package? You got your own bill of service and that's added up to be less $$ than the packaged deal?
  • wypcwypc Member Posts: 6
    jrkelly and ltagg1,

I'm currently also living in DFW. We don't have so many Acura dealers nearby, and from your messages, Vandergriff seems not so friendly compared with Mac Churchill. Have you tried Goodson and David, too?
  • wypcwypc Member Posts: 6
    I will soon move to San Diego, CA. From the helpful information posted here, it seems in South CA the price of TL is pretty high. Is it applied to San Diego, too?
    I also have a question about buying car outside residency state. Since many guys here, especially those from middlewest or northeast areas, bought cars across states, could you please give me some hints about the policy of tax, registration fee, etc.? Thanks a lot.
  • ltagg1ltagg1 Member Posts: 7
    jrkelly: I too have been negotiating with Mac Churchill Acura in Ft. Worth. In my case on a NBP/Parch Auto w/Navi...just curious what your deal ($600 over invoice) was for, ie auto or manual, navi or non navi, etc. and what date did you buy it. If you wouldn't mind, could you also e-mail me and tell me the salesman's name you dealt with (ltaggart1@cox.net)? Thanks!
  • pete419pete419 Member Posts: 8
    Thanks for the very useful information for So. Cal., primaxx. So just to summarize, your deal seems to be $33,900 as the negotiated price for the TL Auto w/ nav, including all the dealer options you mentioned, plus $3,500 T&L and other fees. That's the best recent price I've seen for So. Cal. Congratulations! Hope you enjoy your new TL.

I'm also glad to hear the good things about Keyes in Van Nuys. I've been in contact with them--plus about a dozen other dealers in the area. Trouble is, the color combo I want--anthracite w/ camel--just doesn't seem to be available anywhere. Maybe with the new group of cars arriving in September . . .

Just one question: You indicated you paid cash and implied it helped you get a better deal. Is that the case? I was under the opposite impression--that dealerships prefer it if you go with their in-house financing. So although I intend to pay cash as well, I wasn't going to mention it until the price was agreed on. Would you suggest otherwise?
  • sixspeedmarksixspeedmark Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for all your posts - this forum saved me thousand$, literally.

I picked up at Acura TL, six-speed, no NAVI for $30,600 plus taxes and tags. By far the best deal in the Phila area I could get. I recommend the dealer - Metro Acura on Essington Ave. - and they are very Internet friendly. Two other deals weren't even close - one told me to call them and the other offered list price.
  • mdhaukemdhauke Member Posts: 202
    "I always take my car to the dealer for service, but I NEVER get their 7.5k, 15k, 22.5k, 30k etc "package deals"

What, are we speaking in code here? So you take your vehicle in for service but don't get it serviced? What exactly do you get and what steps do you skip in order to get a cheaper price than the package? Also aren't you hurting the vehicle in the long run by skipping out on service?
  • mad_russianmad_russian Member Posts: 1
    So here I am finally shearing my today's buying experience. Submitted 30 requests for a quote (TL with Navi, Automatic, Silver with Black) to all local dealers within 100 miles. The fight began. I have received about 180 emails in 2 days. But all I wanted was to save as much as I can. Avarege price I was given $33,000.00 only a few gave 32,5 32,7 but ONLY ONE gave me the invoice price $32,120.00 it was RALLYE ACURA in Long Island, NY. I was there about 1,5 hours and also got good trade in deal on my 1999 Nissan Maxima - $8,000.00 The are very nice people I mean VERY NICE and I hope my method will work for you too if you are in the market of buying any new car not just TL. Spend couple of evenings for getting the best deal, it really pays off if you do your homework and want to get A+ for it :)
    P.S. - NY tax 8.625% $2080.35 - tire tax $12.50 - docs fee $30.00 - NY insp. $30.00 - plates tranf. $24.25
    Total Cash Delivered Price: $26,297.10 (2-4 weeks)
    Well, most of us only have 1 or 2 dealers within 100 miles much less 30!!!
  • sukinsynsukinsyn Member Posts: 23
    I am looking at an '04 6 speed. There are 2 dealers here in town. 1 has a 6 speed in stock, as a demo. It has 4200 miles on it. They are willing to let it go for invoice....(lol)

When do the '04s stop shipping and '05s start? Also, what will the price hike be? I would appreciate any feedback or clues. I have looked the board over and cannot seem to find this information on Acura TL.
  • gled0501gled0501 Member Posts: 12
    i currently have a deposit on an 04 that will be built sometime this month and i should receive it the 1st week in september. all the dealers have already put their last requests in for the 04s and its just a matter of finding what you want. i was able to get $300 over invoice. the dealer told me that he might not have prices until september or october on the 05s and that he thought the increase would be 2-3%. he also said that for the first several months they will only be sold at invoice, i wonder if that will be the case.
    "the dealer told me that he might not have prices until september or october on the 05s and that he thought the increase would be 2-3%."

Sounds like a sales job (for the last batch of 04)in the work.
  • sukinsynsukinsyn Member Posts: 23
    Thanks for the info. I currently have a CL and the lease is up in 3 months. I have until December 1 to turn it in-if I have to keep it that long. Hopefully I won't and will find a manual TL--'04 or '05.

Since they are so hard to find with a manual, I am willing to wait-which might be an '05. I am going to go work on the other dealer in town Friday. It is actually where I got my CL. They seem to be the better dealer from what I can glean from the boards here. Lots of people coming from far away to lease from them.
    "How do you get the service contents of a 30K service w/o using the package? You got your own bill of service and that's added up to be less $$ than the packaged deal?"

For example. At 7.5k, the only things I have done are an oil and lube, and a tire rotation. I don't get their $100+ package which includes all sorts of "inspections" and such. My total cost for a 7.5k service is about $46.
  • ctk4949ctk4949 Member Posts: 10
    Rick Case Acura in Ft Lauderdale offered us $30,500 but included a $499 dealer fee?!?!
    Its for a 04 Auto Acura TL
    is that a good deal??
  • magictimmagictim Member Posts: 7
    I stopped in my Acura Dealer in Baltimore, Maryland. Dealer said 2005 models should start coming in mid-October.

I am planning to wait for a 2005 model. My #1 reason is that I want to see if Acura rolls out their XM RADIO AND NAVTEQ: NAVTRAFFIC:
    THE NATION'S FIRST SATELLITE TRAFFIC INFORMATION SERVICE FOR VEHICLE NAVIGATION SYSTEMS on the Acura TL's. NAVTRAFFIC will be available on the Acura 2005 RL and it lets you see live traffic patterns on your navigation system in 23 major markets.

I asked the dealer if 2005 Acura TL's would have this system. The answer is that the TL and RL share the same nevagition systems. I'm hoping the 2005 Acura TL will have NAVTRAFFIC as an option.

I have no
    Well I can see it works for 7.5K service but with 30K does your dealer offer this ala carte service so that you can pick only what need to be replaced? I'd think dealer not 'recommend' it at all. How much are you saving with a 15K or 30K skipping all the inspection items?
  • highenderhighender Member Posts: 1,358
    a TL , auto, navi, and A-spec, for the ridiculous price of $39,000. My wife liked the Aspec, loves the navi, and the overall looks of the car.

Here in Bay area, a TL is like gold for the dealers.... :(

price was $35K and change for TL, and $6995 for the Aspec...!! They wanted $42 K

got them down $3000, but that was it....

dealer promised wheel locks , paint touch up, and gave me some sirius hats.

Got a free car to trade in, a 2001 Hyundai XG300, so they gave us $7000 for it...so it brought the price down to $32K and change for us.

meanwhile, a lot of other cars are going for $5000 off... :(
    I would be curious as to your impressions of the A-spec package compared to a standard 6-speed (which has Brembo brakes and stiffer suspension than the auto). As best I can tell from reviews, the difference in handling is rather minimal - much less than the true "sport packages" offered on BMW 3 and 5 series vehicles for about $1,500 to $2,500. Even the upgrade from a 330ci to an M3 is only about $8,000, and that takes you from a very nice coupe to a world class performer. So, there must be something more to the A-spec that I'm missing? I admit to not having seen one in person or checking into it at the dealership.
    hey pete419! sorry for the late response back to you...i was away for the weekend. thanks! unfortunately, it was disappointing that out of all the SoCal Acura dealers, Keyes and Cerritos were the only ones who could offer me the best possible prices.

i agree that the color combination you want is going to be hard to find and it'll probably end up that you'll have to place a deposit on one before it even gets to the dealerships' lots. mine was nighthawk black pearl w/ ebony black leather and this was considered to be a popular request from buyers.

yes, i did indicate that i will be paying in cash to the dealer. i actually indicated this to them right off the bat...some may not see this as being the best move, because you are right in that dealerships make their money from financing. but i do believe that paying in cash did help me get a better deal. i like the internet sales manager at keyes: he's honest and upfront with offers you make...he doesn't waste your time.

The reason why i mentioned that i would be paying cash up front is because i was pretty sure that even when the '05 models come out, Acura will not be providing dealer incentives to sell the 04's because the TL is in such high customer demand, so later mentioning that i will be paying in cash probably would not have made a big difference....i knew that i would probably at most get a $1000 discount for the cash payment. but it seemed like the dealerships were more responsive to me when i did mention to them that a full cash payment would be made. you should also at least try to negotiate for them to add on dealership options, if you were planning on getting it.
    Personally I think that A-Spec is a rip off. The only reason to get it is if you like the look so much that your willing to pay an extra 5-grand for it. You're not missing anything.
  • fisfis Member Posts: 18
    Yeah, but Radley has service hours until 2AM. I'm generally a cheapskate, but when you add those hours to the free loaners, I'm a sucker for Radley service.
  • fisfis Member Posts: 18
    In DC area. Thinking about taking the plunge on a 2004 TL with automatic and no navigation system. Most of the prices being posted are for models with 6sp+nav. Thoughts on what I should expect to get the plain automatic model for?
    Fis, if you can't beat $1,000 over invoice, I would seriously consider buying ut of the DC area, like I did (Pennsylvania). I took my car in for its first oil change yesterday and the local delaers service manager "welcomed" me to their dealership, gave me a free car wash and asked that I take my car to them for all future services. There was a survey form left in the car afterwards, so clearly, they want my business regardless of the fact that I saved $2,200 over their best price for a 6-speed navi. I still think you could sae $500-$1,000 more on a non-navi model by going outside the area (my guess is the final price should be $500-$1,000 over invoice).
  • klee3klee3 Member Posts: 57
    I visited an Acura dealership this past weekend. I was interested in buying a TL (non-navi & auto). I was offering $33,500, drive out. The manager pulled out a price sheet that showed an invoice price of $30,300 (destination included) + $300. The $300, he said, was for advertising fee. He said his best price would be $31,600 + TTL. I live in Texas and the tax rate is 6.25% for buying vehicles. Is it unusual for a dealership to add $300 to the invoice price? He mentioned every Acura dealerships in the Houston area adds the $300 fee to their invoice price. It sounded fishy to me. I haven't had time to check with other dealerships. I will do so this weekend.

Anyway, is $31,600 + TTL a good price in the Houston area? Based on Edmunds.com, this is $1,300 over the invoice price.