Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Acura TL Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• carcarcarcar Member Posts: 19
    Need the NAV. This is my parents car, and we go on many road trips and my mom travels for her job. I guess we don't NEED it like we'd die without it, but it'll save us many headaches, stopping for directions, etc. We'll see how things go.

The Accord's a great car, but it's not an Acura. I know how similar they are, but yet they are very very different. We drove both of them. They're miles apart. I don't know, the TL is just special.

carcar
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    I thnk you and your dad need a little review of your purported dilemma.

Reality: The best you can expect to pick up a new 2004 TL w/ Nav for is probably $500 to $1,000 over invoice. That's roughly $32,600 to $33,100. Add what appears to be 5% tax in your state and your at $34,230 to $34,760, OTD not including title and registration.

Affordability: You claim $33,000 is it, period. Did you hit a $3,000 lottery ticket winner from one of your previous posts where $28,500 plus taxes was the absolute limit? The difference between what you claim to be able to afford and the best price you could realistically get a new TL w/nav for is in the ballpark of $1,300 to $1,800, or 4-6% on a purchase that would, hopefully, last you 8-10 years and 150,000+ miles. That is, unless you find something else in 2-3 years that you/dad really NEED.

My take on this is that, if in fact, you are on some razor thin edge of affordablility, you/dad should be looking at a Toyota Prius or Honda Accord or other perfectly fine car for about $10k less than the TL and put the savings in a decent mutual fund. Cars depreciate. IMO you shouldn't be flirting with the limits of affordability. Period.

On the other hand, if you are trying using some self imposed limit of "affordability" as a negotiating tool with the dealer, forget it. Might have been useful in the past before the internet, but now everyone knows exactly what the dealer invoice is and, thanks to Edmunds, what people are actually paying across the entire country. We would all congratulate you on finding a desparate dealer willing to sell a new TL w/ nav for invoice, but that doesn't appear likely, and that's still $800 over your "affordability limit".

Sorry if I sound like Suze Orman, but you really need to re-evaluate your priorities if you/dad are torn between a $1,500 +/- difference between reality and maximum affordability and a $2k navigation system. Don't get me wrong, the Nav system is a nice luxury OPTION. But it's not one of life's necessities. And I sure as hell wouldn't endanger my kids college fund buying any car that was over my head.

P.S. Someone visiting one of our neighbors parked a Lamborghini Diablo in front of our house a few days ago. When my 9 year old asked how much it cost and I told her, she came back a few minutes later with "that's 8 times the price of our (former) Honda S2000" followed quickly by "it can't possibly be worth it". I was tempted to explain to her the reasons why it cost so much, but I decided to let her conclusion stand for now.
  • rroyce10rroyce10 Member Posts: 9,332
      ....... Habitat is right and he's giving you some good advice .. the TL's are not distressed merchandise, far from it and most dealers are either sold out or will be in the next 2/3 weeks ..

The words "05's" don't mean much when there is a constant demand, they will either sell it now, or a month from now, but they will sell ... right now, the the pre-owned 04 TL's are stronger than the 101st Airborne in a fire fight they're doing the super strong $28,0 low $29ish figure with 6/9/15k at the auctions, that means dealers will be selling the pre-owned for the $31ish figure, so make yourself happy and buy a new one .. you need to either step up, or step out.

Terry.
  • mattdmattd Member Posts: 5
    Carcar-

It sounds like one of two things, either you really cannot afford this car, or your dad doesn;t want to spend that much out of principle.

If its the first, please listen carefully to the advice given. Overspending on a car is very easy. You might be able to manage to buy this one, but in 2-3 years when you find some other car you HAVE to have, you will be upside down on the loan and in a real world of hurt.

Now, if it is simply a matter of your dad coming to terms with spending this much on a car and you really can afford it, look in a major metro like Chicago. I was really sick of the "We're Acura and the TL is in high demand, so we won't deal" attitude.

Send an email inquiry to all the dealers in Chicago. Also, check their webpages. Many of them offer "points" or discounts that you can get rolled into the vehicle since you will never see them again. For example, I wound up using Ed Napleton, and they have a $100 off coupon on their webpage. Once I got their quote, negotiated a little by email and a little by phone, then I had them take that off.

The result - A 2004 TL w/NAV for $32,776 + accessories + TTL. The plane ticket from MSP to ORD was $150. I saved myself over $1500 from what my local dealer would offer. You can, of course, always have your service done at Brookfield if you choose.

Good luck, and I hope you are successful in finding a car. Keep in mind, though, if you can't afford it, you can't afford it. Buying a less expensive car this time around might let you save some money rather than paying it to the bank and make the TL the next car.

Let us know how it turns out!
  • kennyg5kennyg5 Member Posts: 360
    You don't NEED the NAV if you know how to read a map. People have gotten by all these years w/o a Nav, which is a useful gadget when you travel to unfamiliar places. Until the price of Navs comes down or when they become standard equipment (such as the RL comes standard with Nav), $2k seems a bit expensive considering you can now get a great laptop for that price.

The TL is a great car and represents a value buy for the entry luxury segment. The full loaded Accord is an even greater buy for its segment if you don't care about or need the extra luxury items that come with the TL. If your dad is in a financial bind, just buy the Accord and forget about the worries of whether there is extra cash for making the monthly car loan.
  • jared1000jared1000 Member Posts: 20
    someone was telling me about getting a 2004 TL auto w/ navi black on black for 32k ... is that a good price considering that it is year end and the 2005 is coming out?

Any other info. I should be telling you guys?
  • mattdmattd Member Posts: 5
    That is a very good price considering the invoice is $32145. You might want to be sure that includes destination (~$500), but even if it doesn't, that is still a reasonable price. I think the best deals posted here have been a few hundred over invoice.
  • 1wayout1wayout Member Posts: 9
    I've been trying to negotiate with Acura dealers for 5 days...it's hopeless. First of all, none of them can read and/or listen. I sent emails to at least 6 Acura dealers, one in Indianapolis, 3 in Chicago, 2 in Ohio. Never even heard from some of them...even after 3 days.

I requested a quote for a 2004 TL w/o NAV, 36 month lease, 18.4k/miles per year, zero down. I asked to have tax included...which is 6% in Indiana.

I got quotes for 42 months, 48 months, 1,000 down, 900/down, 1200/down. Only one dealer included the sales tax. The others would offer me a low price and put in small print, + tax. It was ridiculous. Also, the lowest quote I got was 570/mo, zero down. (including the tax). For a 2004 no less...the car is basically a year old.

I have offers on G35 from 3 dealers between 490-517 per month...w/tax included..same spec as TL. The TL cost less than the G35...what's the deal?

I can't really stand these Acura dealers...the car is fantastic..but Acura sales people need some training.
    You only live once.
  • browniebearbrowniebear Member Posts: 2
    I'm interested in a TL with Nav and am not in a hurry. Would it be recommended to wait for a 2005 or go for a 2004? I'm not getting much of a deal on 2004's here in the LA area. Seems like the depreciation that a 2004 will instantly get once the 2005's come out will not be more than any price increase of the 2005's. Any ideas?
  • steadysteady Member Posts: 2
    Looking to purchase 2004 TL with NAV in eastern NC. Wondering about what people have been paying in NC.
  • steadysteady Member Posts: 2
    Thanks. Are you saying that you paid an out-the-door of $33900+$245=$34145 including taxes from Performance?
  • mdhaukemdhauke Member Posts: 202
    No, this is not including tax. Car tax in NC is one of the lowest you'll find in the country.
    Okay,

As an update, we're now full speed ahead at a TL!!! We're now down to negotiating price with the dealer. As someone mentioned before, we emailed 8 dealers in Chicago looking for the best price, and are negotiating with them. Once we get them down to where we want, we'll go to Acura of Brookfield with the Chicago dealer price and use the competition factor. And if Brookfield doesn't want to come down, we won't hesitate to go down to Chicago to buy the car!

So it's looking good. In regards to this vehicle, my parents plan on keeping it for 10-12 years, so over the life of the car, the price difference between buying an Accord and buying a TL is very slim.

I'm excited and I hope we get a good price! Any advice on negotiating would be appreciated!

carcar
  • flfungirlflfungirl Member Posts: 19
    This sticker is $33,195 including destination. The TMV on Edmunds for my area is $31,400 so do you think this offer is reasonable or will they laugh me out the door? I'd really love to have them add on a wing for that price but I thought that might be REALLY pushing it. What do you think?
  • danny12danny12 Member Posts: 3
    I got a quote which was 2004 Acura TL w/o navigation for $30,800 plus sales tax and motor vehicle charges. Is it a good deal? or should I wait until 2005 come out to get lower price?
    That sounds like a really good deal to me.
  • ncsugrad94ncsugrad94 Member Posts: 5
    I'm looking at a TL w/Navi and have contacted several dealers in Atlanta area. Ed Voyles doesn't want to negotiate and are very cocky. They basically said $34,195: take it or leave it. Other dealers, such as Nalley, did not fare much better. Has anybody gotten a good deal? I'm willing to drive to maybe Athens or South Atlanta.
    Okay, another update!

Continental Acura of Chicago is offering us $32,200 on an Anthracite/Ebony 5AT w/ Navigation. How does that sound? The price was gotten fairly easily, no negotiating, just named a price!!

So, we're trying to get our closest dealer, Acura of Brookfield, to come down, using competition on our side. We really want to give them the sale, however, we're not going to if it means a $1000 difference, which it is. I'll tell you how things go!!!

Wish us luck. We could have one fairly soon!!!!

carcar
  • mplsguymplsguy Member Posts: 3
    I almost had the deal signed with Continental when I got a late offer from Ed Napleton. In fact, I was dialing the phone to make a deposit when the email came in.

Anyway, take a look at Continental's web page. They have a VIP points program. Basically they give 1000 points when you buy a car which equals $50 to spend at the dealership. Since I was not planning to ever see tham again, they agreed to forgoe the points, and give me the $50 off the car. It's not much, but it might cover the gas to get home.

That is a very good price, congrats.
    I live on the east coast but am having trouble till now finding any other FL buyers out there. $30,800 is a great price!! Why are the dealer fees so much though?
    Sounds like a dumb question but are the taxes in FL normal 7% sales tax? Also how much were the tags & liscence (OTD price?) For that price I might be willing to make a trip across the state!! That is if they don't fly away in the hurricane ;o) I hope everything turns out okay!
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,142
    A reporter is looking for consumers who have traded in a paid-off older vehicle for a new(er) one. Did you trade in because of repair costs, or worries about reliability or safety? Was the peace of mind worth the cost (payments, depreciation)?

Please send your brief thoughts and daytime contact info to [email protected] by September 20, 2004.
    Thanks,
    Jeannine Fallon
    PR Director
    Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• acura4meacura4me Member Posts: 4
    I have a quote of $750 above invoice on an Acura TL. Right now it looks as if they're trying to sell me one without navi as they have only a few left with it. I don't need the navi -- I tried it out today and I just don't really see the point for someone like me who will drive this car locally in a very familiar city 95% of the time. Is this just ignorant? Does anyone out there with navi who isn't driving all over America really use it after showing it off to friends?

But in test-driving I noticed the car has 248 miles on it. That just sounds like a lot. Plus the 2005's are out in a few weeks.

I'm just wondering is $750 over invoice that great a deal for a 2004 with 248 miles on it? I've reread back over the forum and some seem to say that it is. I know the 2004 cars will sell, but still -- I feel like I am buying a used year old car with no discount (according to one post the used 2004's are selling at 28k-29k).

Thanks for any input. I'd like to buy this weekend, and I have to say that the dealers I've worked with have been great (I heard bad things about Acura dealers and it just ain't so).
    I think $750 over invoice sounds like a fair deal, but not a great one. I got $1,000 over invoice on a TL 6-speed w/navigation back in May. It was ordered to my exact specs and had 3 miles on the odometer from the factory. I just checked Edmunds, and for my area, the "TMV" shows a much greater discount to MSRP fon non-nav models. If I were you, I'd probably be shooting to get the car at invoice even (or below), or wait for a 2005. If you wait a few months, I doubt you will have to pay more than $1,000 over invoice for a 2005 that HASN'T been used as a demo.

As for the navigation system, Acura's is the best in the industry, but only you can determine if it would be worth it for you. We have used it to avoid traffic jams on road trips, find specific addresses locally, etc. We are in the process of new house shopping and it's been a real time saver in that process. I use it a bit more than I would have expected in the greater Washington DC area.

Good luck.
  • acura4meacura4me Member Posts: 4
    Thanks much for such a considered response. You have got me thinking about the navi again. But I wouldn't have thought of there being a greater discount without it. Below invoice or 2005 is going to be my objective.

Thanks for this input. Any other thoughts on buying the 04 TL's as we go into their final month before the 05's come out would be much appreciated.

i'm in Phoenix, AZ so I'm going to Edmunds right now to check TMV for this area.
  • chalkpiechalkpie Member Posts: 21
    For what it's worth - my friend is picking up his '04 TL nav tomorrow. He got it for $32,400 before tax (Long Island).
  • m3inatlm3inatl Member Posts: 2
    ncsugrad94 - Bought an MDX from Nalley 1 1/2 ago after getting quote from Ed Voyles. Nalley beat them by over$1500. Paid under MSRP when they were "hot". Now looking at TL and will get quotes from both. Hopefully Nalley will come through again. If not, I will look elsewhere. I really think playing the Ed Voyles card at Nalley will help, they seem to dislike them. I'll follow up after I get a quote. Please let me know where you end up going. Thanks - M3inATL
  • fueledupfueledup Member Posts: 64
    2004 tl used 2000 miles, perfect condition. automatic, nav . options include factory performance wheels and tires,factory front,rear and side skirts, priced new at over $ 40,000. can buy for $31,400.00. good deal or not .please respond.
    Priced new at over $40,000??? In what, Canadian Dollars??

I think the $31.4k price is "fair" at best, but please don't buy the car thinking someone else took an $8k bath. Those plastic body clad ad-ons aren't worth much of anything to anybody at trade in time. As far as "factory performance wheels and tires", that's also suspect. The 6-speed manual TL has a stiffer suspension than the automatic. As such, the factory "HPT" package is only available on a 6-speed. Whatever they have put on an automatic should similarly be understood not to be worth a whole lot, either in trade in or actual "performance".

I picked up a brand new 6-speed with navigation and HPT in May for $33,308 ($1,000 over invoice). You should be able to do that or better now. Use that as your benchmark. But in my book, I'd rather own new for only $1,500 to $2,000 more than used, especially in a $30k+ car.
  • sharpwitzsharpwitz Member Posts: 30
    Due to unforseeable events, I will have to purchase a 2005 TL ASAP.

I was wondering how much bargaining room I have at this time of the year. In 2003, for those who had to order their 2004, how much did you have to pay with regards to the MSRP?
    Don't go by what people paid in 2003. In my area (DC) most dealers were getting full MSRP for the car last fall, even w/o navigation, since it was a "hot" redesign and demand outstripped supply. That's no longer the case.

I would think $1,000 over invoice, which I got on 6-speed w/ nav that was special ordered in May, would be possible for a 2005.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,142
    A reporter is looking for a consumer who within the past few days has purchased a new vehicle, primarily motivated by the incentives currently being offered due to the end of the ’04 model year. If you live in the LA area and are willing to talk with the reporter about how you made your decision, please e-mail Pam Krebs, Edmunds.com PR, at [email protected], with your daytime contact information. The reporter will need to speak with you before mid-day tomorrow (Wednesday, Sept. 8). Thank you.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• patentcad1patentcad1 Member Posts: 69
    That $40K TL is the accurate list price for a 2004 with the full A-spec body kit, wheels and tires. $31400 for that car with Nav sounds like a good deal - IF you want the $4000+ worth of cosmetic stuff. That won't add a penny to your resale value (and actually could hurt it). But if you like it a lot it could be an OK deal in my opinion. See if they'll come down a bit. Bear in mind dealers here in NY have been selling brand new TL's with Nav for $32400-$33,000 (before tax and tags).
  • pete419pete419 Member Posts: 8
    What have you folks in So. Cal. been paying recently for an '04 TL auto w/ nav? The best I've seen is $33,900--a far cry from the prices people in other parts of the country have been posting.

Anyone do any better than that? If so, when and where?
  • bcbobbybcbobby Member Posts: 6
    M3inATL - Please let me know purchase price if you go with the TL. I am also in the ATL area and looking at the TL. Possible purchase within the month.

Thanks
  • njmtgbankernjmtgbanker Member Posts: 4
    I just bought a TL auto w/o nav for $31,150 at Acura dealer in Bridgewater. The deal did include a $5000 trade in of my 98 Honda Accord with 133,000 miles. I considered this a great deal, especially because of the trade in. They gave me at least $500 more than kkb for trade in so I think you may be able go $30,500 at this time of year.
  • bcbobbybcbobby Member Posts: 6
    I was quoted $33,890 from Acura Carland in Duluth by their online manager. I was looking for 2004 TL with NAVI. I have not done anything, but I would feel that they might be able to sharpen their pencil, especially near month end.
  • lee128lee128 Member Posts: 1
    njmtgbanker,

Did you buy it from Bridgewater,NJ? Can you give me the name of the salesperson you worked with? Thanks.
  • baleaghabaleagha Member Posts: 3
    Pete:
    I picked up my TL (Anthracite/Camel/AT/Navi) today and paid $33,700 not including taxes and fees. Try to sharpen up your bargaining skills and you may be able to match it.
  • leopardxleopardx Member Posts: 3
    To get the best price call all the area dealers and ask to speak to the sales manager (he is the only one with the authority to approve pricing). Tell them you know what you want and are now shopping around for price only. I just had 2 dealers tell me the best they could do was $33,880, then, I bought the TL with NAVI (picking up today) for $32,900. You'll find someone in your area who will manage to come up with a better price... that is, if they have the car you want. I did find that it is getting rather difficult to find a dealer who actually has a TL with NAVI left on the lot. Good luck!
  • leopardxleopardx Member Posts: 3
    I'm picking up an o4 TL with Nav today. Paid $32,900 for it...$755 above invoice...5 miles on it. I'm a consultant and never know where I'm going to be working so the Nav was an important feature for me. The thing with 2005...even the dealers don't know what the price will be yet. The only change from the 04 is that it will include On Star...at least this is what I'm being told. I did a lot of research and made a lot of phone calls before making my decision of where to purchase. I loved the post about using Nav to avoid congested traffic. I live in the Boston area where terrible traffic is the norm. I never thought about that use for Nav so, I really appreciate that post. I also love the idea that home is just a voice command away, no matter where you are. No more getting lost!
  • igibanigiban Member Posts: 530
    So this dealer just told you on the phone that you can have it for $32,9K w/o checking what other quotes you got?

"I loved the post about using Nav to avoid congested traffic."

Are you sure this is avail. on TL?
  • chiownerchiowner Member Posts: 1
    I purchased an 04 TL with Navi and automatic yesterday for 32,500. I agree with the previous posting that said to check all the dealers in your area. After leaving one dealership on Friday because they would not meet my price, I went home and sent an e-mail to all the other dealers on the Chicagoland area (Acura's web site provides the links). I told them exactly what I wanted and my final price. Several responded that I would never find the car at that price, but at least one dealer (Arlington Acura) was willing to sell if I came in the next day (Saturday). I bought the car and absolutely love it. I highly recommend Arlington Acura as well.
  • centaur83centaur83 Member Posts: 2
    I bought a TL w/o Navi yesterday for $30,650 +TTL in the Philadelphia area. This included mud guards and wheel locks. I had placed a deposit on it a week ago since they had to locate the car. I did not have a trade and did not Finance through the dealership therefore they made no money in these areas where they often make a lot. Between the time I placed a deposit and the time I picked up the vehicle (one week) I received a call from a couple other dealerships. I got the distinct impression they were starting to deal the cars (perhaps there is a hidden dealer incentive). If the dealer has the car on the lot, I would bet you can get it for $200 or less over invoice. There seems to be a awful lot of cars in dealer inventories for mid-September. Good Luck to everyone.
  • olegoleg Member Posts: 12
    I just ordered 05 with nav. and pay invoise+1000$.I think it is good deal.
  • danny12danny12 Member Posts: 3
    I bought TL without Navi for $30,300 which is invoice price. Including tax ans other fee, total price was $32,450. This forum helped me a lot. Thank you guys.
  • klee3klee3 Member Posts: 57
    I was quoted $33,575 drive out on a 2004 non-navi auto TL in the Houston area and I thought that was a pretty decent deal. I guess not after reading your post. What is your tax rate? In Texas, it's 6.25%.
  • tcltcl Member Posts: 42
    Which dealer you used, there are in the range of twenty Acura dealers within 100 miles +- in the Los Angeles area. I think there should be more room for the car after one year in the market. I will appreciate any buying experience. Do you know is there any color change for 05 ? I was told I cannot order the book until after th 16th.
  • patentcad1patentcad1 Member Posts: 69
    Buying a 2004 Silver/Black Leather AT with Navigation for $32,500. Picking it up this weekend. The dealer is in NY City. That's $355 over invoice.

I was told price increase for 2005 is 1.5%, which would be $600. I'm probably saving $1000-$2000 over a 2005 or so I would guess. That's enough for me, there's virtually no change in equipment.
  • olegoleg Member Posts: 12
    I used "Firstacura" in MA. I know another in RI he has the same price