Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford F-150 SUPERCREW

Comments

• emaleemale Member Posts: 1,380
    progressive insurance
  • indychapellindychapell Member Posts: 35
    Problem with insurance is you cannot go by what others pay unless you live in the same general area. You live in a area like L.A. your going to pay a lot more than a guy in say indy. even with the same company. So depending on where you live 2000.00 annually may be the avg. going rate for said truck.
  • suestevepatsuestevepat Member Posts: 4
    I've taken my SuperCrew on several trips on the highway now and it seems like I'm getting almost blown off the road by the wind. I have the Lariat with the 17 inch tires so it sits pretty high. Does anyone else with a SuperCrew feel like they are getting blow around?
  • suestevepatsuestevepat Member Posts: 4
    I use Amex Assurance Company for all our vehicle insurance. When I looked around a couple of years ago, it was much cheaper than all the alternatives. It's a mail-order type company (no local offices) but it's backed by American Express. My wife has had 3 claims and they were very easy to deal with. You can look them up on the web if you're interested....
    suestevepat,

i just got back from driving several hours in a 30 mph crosswind. and yes, a supercrew is more difficult to keep straight then a car in similar situations. i have had owned several other trucks and would say the s-crew drives just as good...in a windy or any other situation.
  • billyghowardbillyghoward Member Posts: 2
    just traded up from a 97 supercab to a 2003 supercrew xlt 4.6 - 350 miles so far and am enjoying the xtra room - will be anxious to see any mileage difference - regularly got 17+ on the 97 - am looking at add ons to finish out the bottom of the truck - either running boards w/flares (colored to match the silver on a white and silver 2 tone - or stainless nerf bar w/ colored keyed flares - will have to wait to upgrade the wheels and tires due to $ shortage - am located in east texas - purchased the vehicle from all star ford in palestine - did get a good quote from pinecrest ford located in livingston if anyone is interested - looking forward to reading about other crew +'s and -'s -
  • rossn2rossn2 Member Posts: 16
    I have had two 2001 Supoercrews (2wd/4wd), both with 5.4 V8. Both have/had the same noise you describe. The noise is the engine "V" belt and the idler pulley. Generally, you have to leave the vehicle overnight so the dealer can hear the noise in the morning. It took Ford dealer in South Texas three tries to figure it out on the first F-150. They replaced the "V" belt twice and then on third try they replaced the pully and "V" belt. For some reason the noise seems to come back around every 10k miles or so. The second one, I'm not worrying about it until the thing falls off, I have 75k extended warranty.
  • kcarverkcarver Member Posts: 5
    I bought my 5.4L 4wd King Ranch in August of last year. I had a 1997 F150 Supercab XLT 4wd 4.6L which was the best automobile I had ever owned. Hard to get rid of it. Took advantage of the 0% to get the new KR.

I thought I would post my observations after just shy of 6 months and 6000 miles. Most of my driving is highway around Houston, TX, with a few long trips every month to the hill country and Dallas.

First, the seats are wonderful. Took me a bit to get used to the shorter seat compared to the old XLT, but after that, these seats are a dream. The heated seats were the most amazing thing to me. When I saw them, I thought I would never use them (Texas and all), but I have found I use them 3/5 times I am in the truck (for my wife the ratio is 4/5) In the winter, the use is obvious, however, in the summer they work exceptionally well to relax a tired back.

Engine: definitely can tell the power difference between the 4.6L and the 5.4L. Amazingly, the gas mileage is the same. Have noticed rpm "oscilation" in the cold mornings of late. Will watch it to see what might be happening.

Steering: Loose compared to my XLT. I liked the XLT better, as it was tighter and you could maintain lanes better on the hwys of Houston. Backing the KR is harder as well since the steering is too sensitive. My wife likes the new steering as it is "easier" to park for her.

[Note on backing -- the bed lights in the KR don't seem to function like the XLT's. When backing the XLT, the bed lights turned on and helped you to back. The KR's don't seem to do this.]

Climate Control: Not too impressed with the automatic system. I would have preffered the older 3 knob layout. Someone did a poor job of ergonomics with this new system (hint to Ford: words are harder to decipher compared with icons!), and it can have a mind of it's own. Lack of a Manual Norm AC position can be frustrating. The auto system deletes the overhead temperature guage in deference to the one on the climate control.

Cargo: I was somewhat worried having a bed that was 1 foot shorter, but so far it has worked well, especially with the fold down gate. I have not weighted the truck down yet, but I'm sure spring chores will take care of that.

Driving: Aside from the steering, this is a very comfortable vehicle. I liked the XLT's arm rest positions better compared with the KR, but I'm getting used to the new layout slowly. The new truck has ample acceleration. With 5 people in the cab, you notice only in the handling, not the acceleration. I have yet to tow anything with it... will report back during fishing season.

Stereo: No complaints, with a few better features compared to my XLT. I think the basic Ford truck stereos are nice for the money you pay for them.

CD Changer: A pain to get to. My XLT was easier to use, and it was in the back seat! Problem is the size of the center console basket compared with the lid of the console. Takes two people to make it easy.

Other: Several of my friends have dubbed my new car "The Blue Lodge" and suggested I hang an antler chandelier from the moon roof. I guess some bearskin rugs are next. I do notice they don't complain though when they hop in my truck and place their rear ends on that leather...

Any questions, just yell.

Kirk

PS I am so glad I bought this model. I just don't like the new interior of the 2004 truck.
  • welk443welk443 Member Posts: 8
    Recently purchased 02 f150 super crew 4.6l and was wondering if octane rating could play a role in fuel consumption? I use 87 octane and currently only get 10-12 mpg. I drive about 60 miles a day at speeds between 40-55mph not a lot of stop + go driving for this low mpg. Anyone else having same problems or any suggestion for octane rating? Thanks
  • wpalkowskiwpalkowski Member Posts: 493
    Don't know about the 4.6 - many engines today can detect octane rating of gas and accomodate timing to it - but that usually results in more power, not necessarily better mileage. It may just be the "winter blend" gas right now. They change chemical compositions in cold weather to improve starting and driveability and to prevent freeze up of injectors, etc.To put it simply, winter gas contains less "energy" so you get less mpgs as a result. My truck gets 10-15% worse mileage every winter.
       10-12 mpg sounds awfully poor for SCrew driven conservatively - my V10 Crew Cab, F350, 4x4, long bed outweighs you by almost 1500 lbs and gets same mileage. Are you running with a load? Is your truck a 4x4, if so do you leave hubs locked? Is the parking brake dragging? Are you using trip computer or calculating mileage manually from fill up to fil up? If truck is really new - may just take some time to get its act together - my mileage got somewhat better once I had about 5K on engine. Might be worth a visit to dealer to have them check it over for things that can affect mileage
  • analysistanalysist Member Posts: 1
    fuel my not be the problem...in winter blends they tend to use alcohol as a base additive...well this tends to break loose any junk like varnish that can clog your throttle body fuel injectors...send a few bucks having them cleaned out, and reconsider the gas you have been buying during the summer months.
      Varnish, is very common in poorer gas mixtures. Varnish will coat the fuel line walls and gas tank. When the alcohol comes into contact with the varnish, desolves it and sends it into you fuel injectors. Larger pieces are (of course) collected by the fuel filter. I think you will find that the manufacturer recomends that the fuel injectors be clean out every 10 to 15k anyway...this will become very important to people who live in areas that have colder winter climates. I think you will find that fuel mileage will increase....ps. fuel additives that claim to clean injectors will not do a good enough job....and please don't let the wife run the truck out of gas...this will also send you to the mechanic to have these injector cleaned out..
    so much for fuel filters....
    just where does the manufacturer state that they recommend cleaning the fuel injectors every 10-15k miles??? i've never seen this in any owner's manual...
  • ray70ray70 Member Posts: 18
    This is my first time to post on this board. I have been reading all of the mail (good and bad) and finally took the plung. I just bought F-150 SuperCrew, 5.4L, XLT, 4WD, the FX-4 off-road package, and with the 3.74 limited slip axle. I love the truck and can hardly wait to real miles on Montana's snow, ice and rough rough forest sevice roads. The truck we bought just happened to have the Class III towing options. I know that this package beefs up the suspension and has an auxiliary transmission cooler. My question is how big a load can I pull??

Thanks a bunch

Ray
  • nascar9900nascar9900 Member Posts: 48
    I need to pull a two horse trailer with one horse (but should size the truck for two horses).

This is minimal towing - maybe 2-3 times a month for 4-5 months a year (during the kids' recreational rodeo season) and except for maybe 1-2 times a year, the longest towing trip would be about 50 miles up the interstate (fairly flat).

Since the daily use of this truck would be 60 miles round trip on the freeway to work; gas mileage for the smaller V8 would be desirable.

I'm looking at the SCrew with towing package and 3.55 limited slip differential.

Would you recommend the 5.4L engine?
    the 4.6l only gets 1 mpg better than the 5.4l and i suspect that you'd never know the difference in gas mileage unless you checked after every tankful. if you can, i'd suggest getting the 3.73 rearend gears if you plan to do any towing. once again the mileage difference between the 3.55 and 3.73 gears is minimal.
  • tahitiguytahitiguy Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking at a 2001 Screw that must have been early in the model year. It does not have the adjustable pedals which I understand was to be standard equipment. This is an important feature as I am 6'2" and my wife is 4'10".

According to the dealer, the color is Amazon green which was a carry over from the previous year for Ford, and it didn't last the entire model year. Were the adjustable pedals added as std. equip during the model year??
    hummm...my '01 s-crew had adjustable pedals...
  • crosley4crosley4 Member Posts: 295
    I can only add, that my 01 super crew was built in May 2001 and it has the adjustable pedals.
  • txyank1txyank1 Member Posts: 1,010
    before I bought my GMC and it had the adjustable pedals.
  • jaguar0027jaguar0027 Member Posts: 387
    they all had adjustable pedals? I have an 03 so, Im outta this one!
    I think they were an option on '01s.
    nope, pretty sure they were standard on '01s. i'm wondering if the guy who said the s-crew he drove didn't have the adjustable pedals just didn't know where the switch was...
  • jaguar0027jaguar0027 Member Posts: 387
    good point you may be right on that one!
    The guy looking at super crews may have asked the sales rep about the adjustable pedals and received the incorrect answer!

I asked about the radio , if it had speed adjusting volume. I was told "no". I later found out that our truck does have this feature.

After i read the owners book , I set the automatic speed adjusting volume to the level we like.
  • sdeleonsdeleon Member Posts: 4
    Does anyone else have or have had the following problem? This is on a 2001 SuperCrew 4X4 5.4L V8.
    A popping sound from behind the driver's side 2nd row seat. It "pops" with almost every bump on the road (which is alot in Austin Texas). Thanks for any feedback.
    Not sure how SCrew is put together, but I had similar sounding problem on 01' F350 Crew Cab when it was only a couple months old. Popping/bang on bumps and especially off camber turns. Turned out that the Cab Mounting bolts weren't torqued to proper spec. Dealer tightened them, and it's been fine ever since.
  • texasappraisertexasappraiser Member Posts: 16
    I was planning on trading my 1994 F350 longbed 4x4 Off Road with 5.8L (351) with 155,000 miles and automatic for a supercrew. But I cant believe 10-12 mpg. I get that with my truck loaded down with toolboxes and pulling a lowboy trailer. That is almost unbelievable to me. Please advise, Lance.
    Our 2001 4x2 Super Crew with a 5.4 gets mid 16's mpg in combo city / freeway driving.
  • supercrusupercru Member Posts: 9
    Has anyone installed a roof rack on their Supercrew? I understand that Yakima now has a clamp on system for the S-Crew. Any other ideas?
  • connonconnon Member Posts: 52
    Last tankful, 80/20 local/hwy driving 14mpg. 01 KR , 4x4, 18600 miles.
  • mr_mbunamr_mbuna Member Posts: 13
    We're currently in the market for an affordable pickup and will be purchasing by the end of the week. Price is the primary concern. Due to the lack of availability of 4x2 1500HD's, we're currently leaning towards the F-150 SuperCrew.

We'll be using the pickup as a daily driver as well as a weekend hauler for a 6300 pound boat and trailer. Twice per year the truck will serve as the vehicle for a 600-mile road trip towing a 1500 pound trailer and a family of four down the East Coast from Maryland to South Carolina.

I've been helping my dad pick out the right truck and its been a struggle to convince him to see the light on a 5.4L V8 over a 4.6L V8 though I think I've been successful in that regard. However, 4WD isn't going to happen as he sees it as an unneccessary expense.

We're looking to find a truck for $25,000 or less after rebates and everything. What can we expect to pay for these trucks? Is Edmunds.com TMV pricing accurate, or is paying Invoice minus rebates reasonable, or do these trucks go for Less Than Invoice minus rebates?

Please share views on the Ford v Chevy v Dodge **for our application and finances** as well as recommendations on worthwhile options and engine choices, etc.

Thanks!
    Ben
    I looked at the 1500HD trucks from GM... all of the units were 4x4 and I do not need a 4x4. I have owned GM vehicles for decades.

The salepeople would yap about increased resale value and I would tell them about decreased MPG and higher repair costs for something I did not want.

We bought a 2001 Super Crew with a 5.4 engine. This was the FIRST Ford I ever bought(I'll be 50 years old soon). Not one single problem with it in 34k miles.

Last tank was at 16.3 MPG.

As I recall the 5.4 motor also includes a slightly higher GVW rating for the truck.
  • welk443welk443 Member Posts: 8
    I purchased a 02 supercrew and on the sticker it said the truck had a 6500# GVW package. The sales person did not know what it meant. I think this is the weight of the vehicle am I correct? What does this package include? Or do you know where I can find more info on this package?
    the weight of the vehicle including cargo capacity.
  • todd1965todd1965 Member Posts: 16
    I just brought a new Ford F-150 Super Crew XLT 4x4 two weeks with 59 miles. I had a 2000 Expedition XLT 2x4 and I am glad that I traded in that SUV. Can someone anwser two questions for me, is this truck longer than my former Expedition, because I find it harder to park this truck. What types of problems that are commom to this vehicle, thanks for any replies.
  • riff777riff777 Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know if this "Tornado" air system works? It is supposed to "swirl" the air coming in from the intake to make the engine more efficient i.e. (mileage and horsepower). I replaced the stock filter with a (K & N) high flow air filter. I am also thinking of going to a high flow exhaust system that sounds deeper, but not to loud. Mainly I am looking for better mileage.
    IMHO you will get better value with your money by throwing on the ground and watch some ppl fight over it than the tornado..

Local hi-way patrol(AZ) tested this thing. a small report on TV was "mixed" results. This means NFG to me. As a mechanic I see no value in the placement of the tornado designed item in the intake.

Same deal with the billet aluminum spacers that bolt in between the engine and throttle body with grooves machined in them. On Fords they seem to whistle for some reason.

I have a K&N replacement filter in our 2001 Super Crew 4x2,5.4 engine, no exhaust add on ect. The mileage was high 14's when new. At 34k miles the unit just gave us 16.7 mpg.

I use synthetic motor oil by choice. I have been a mechanic, racer, restoration type person for decades and I like syn oils.

I do not know if the mileage claims are true with syn oils.

Next: I also own a 2000 1500 Silverado 4x2, 5.3 engine, xtra-cab. I have used an exhaust cat back system with an AirAid intake/filter setup. The ONLY place I see increased power & mileage is when the truck is hooked up to my car trailer.

Normal day - day driving show'd no improvement on MPG in the chevy .

Best thing for better MPG is intelligent driving and keep your tires air'd up correctly. Keep the spare air'd up too! A flat spare tire when you have a flat is no fun , but I don't want to talk about it.... LOL

Tony
  • dustykdustyk Member Posts: 2,926
    The thing called a "Tornado" has been around since the 1940s. Back before the induction system of an automobile engine became a true science, this little device probably could decrease fuel consumption.

The theory is that the little fan blades rotate, interupt some of the fuel droplets and break them into still smaller droplets. This can increase fuel density and subsequently fuel distribution and volumetric efficiency in an otherwise marginal design. In more up to date carburetor systems, these little creatures have cause hesitation complaints, especially has fuel mixtures became leaner.

In a modern system fuel delivery system, especially throttlebody fuel injection versions, I would be hard pressed to believe that you would gain any efficiency. Modern intake manifold designs are very, very effective in producing small fuel droplet sizes. Disturbing the factory design flow characteristics will change something, probably to the detriment of engine performance somewhere in the operating range.

In a port injected system you'll see nothing but a loss.

Regards,
    Dusty
  • zderfzderf Member Posts: 44
    Was advised by my dealership yesterday that Ford is aware of a design problem with the A/C plenum forming condensation on its exterior and subsequently soaking the front passenger carpet. (sneaks under the mat.. so its hard to spot unless you feel underneath)Ford apparently has no current plan to remedy.

Ever heard of mildew, mold, and stinky carpet/padding? $40k plus vehicle that comes standard with these features. Nice bonus.

Any feedback from others and their wet super crew mats?

Thanks....

Zderf
    A friend that works at a local Ford dealer told me this eve that they have a 2004 F-150 Super Crew at his dealer here in AZ.

I guess the truck is making the rounds for all to see it at the dealer.
  • bhags7bhags7 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a F-150 SuperCrew 4x4 (FX4) a month ago. I drive about 80/20 freeway/city and I've been getting 13 mpg. The sticker says 15 city and 19 highway. Any advice?
    Give it some time, put some miles on it. Even though they don't have real break in periods these days, the engines seem to get their act together after they've had some use. Mine ran smoother and mileage improved around 5K miles.
  • tkenny53tkenny53 Member Posts: 41
    I have a 2001, 5.4 and 25k miles, I average 13mpg during normal driving in the los angeles area. I work 4 miles of street driving away from my house. I use the freeways 3 times a week. Only if I do a freeway driving will it get better, slightly.. The best I ever got was a trip to Vegas, got 16 doing 75mph, got 15 doing 80 on the way back. I do have a lead foot and always first away from the stops. My truck is 2 yrs old and EVERYONE here drives one, there are at least 5 within 2 blocks of my house and 4 at my work. There is no need to drive slow so everyone can see my cool truck anymore. ONE BIG thing, I DO get better mileage with mid grade gas, at least 1-2mpg better.
  • elizabeth20elizabeth20 Member Posts: 2
    A friend of my husband's is selling his 2000 F-150 supercab, 5.4 EFI V8, w/cap & bedliner, 16 more months on an extended warranty, 22,000 miles, mint condition, heavy duty electrical/cooling, 4x4 off-road package and a few more perks. He's asking $17,500. I usually do extensive research on vehicles before purchasing and I am starting to learn about Fords. But I've never owned one before, so I thought I'd come to the place where folks have had experience!

I've done some searching at Edmond's on used truck prices, but haven't found where i can enter all the extras (especially the cap). I'd appreciate any insight you all can give me, ASAP.
    Thanks,
    Elizabeth
  • russelllrusselll Member Posts: 3
    Need some advice. Plan on buying a '03 Supercrew in the next couple of weeks. I used Edmunds website to solicite offers on different ones. Its worked well so far with 17 vehicles quoted from 10 dealers. My delima is the best offer is a Lariet with 5.4L V8 and standard differential. Its the only one out of 17 that doesn't have this option. I don't plan on towing anything, but I'm not sure what abilities I'll lose if I don't have it.
  • coach428coach428 Member Posts: 2
    Just bought w/ high miles (ALL highway miles) & am looking for any advice/comments. First "new" truck & am psyched! thanx!!
  • coach428coach428 Member Posts: 2
    What kind of mileage can I expect W/my 4.6 liter
    engine (4x4)? thanx
  • brianbmbrianbm Member Posts: 55
    tkenny, have you tried feeding it premium gas for a few tanks to see if it improves further? .... Pity, but it's a big heavy vehicle and there's no diesel option. (Yet). A more cautious driver content to be last away from the stop sign might add a mile or two per gallon, but that's as much as can be asked. 800 lb more weight is more then going to offset any theoretical gain in the reworked 5.4
  • sonjaabsonjaab Member Posts: 1,057
    While goofing off in Vegas this week on vacation!
    Spotted several 04 150 Crews decked out as Yellow Cabs. WOW....
    Stopped by local Ford dealer..They must of had 50+ 04s on the lot !

Heres a good laugh....A big GM shindig was in town at the Sands convention center. They had a set up at the Thomas & Mack center with a bunch of new GM vehicles to test drive..........

On the corner at the entrance was a new 04 Crew hanging by a crane as you drove into the lot with a big banner saying "NEW FORD F-150 HERE NOW!!!!"

Bet those GM honchos were NOT pleased !......geo
This discussion has been closed.