Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford F-150 SUPERCREW

1192021222325»

Comments

• matt_2003matt_2003 Member Posts: 9
    Even though the new 04 F-150 has just been released I still think the old model is the nicest truck I have ever driven. The power was good on the 5.4 engine, the drive was smooth, the wind noise was almost non-existent, and it could be used as a 4X4 quite well.

Looking forward to driving a new one with the improved 5.4, though I might just buy a standard cab 4X4 with the base 4.6 V8, which I have not driven yet, but think it should be sufficient for that setup.

Also, people were commenting on gas mileage. When I drove an F-150 Supercrew, actually I rented it, I found I could get about 17 around town, not goosing the throttle and close to 20 on the highway going between 70-75MPH. It all depends on your driving style what gas mileage you will get on average.

MT
  • bigdave12bigdave12 Member Posts: 14
    Just bought a F150 Supercrew Lariat. I normaly try to stay away form buying newly introduced models the first year. I figure its best to let the car companies fix the first year bugs.

After looking at the 04's I couldn't resist. I should have listened to myself. On the way home from the dealer, the truck's rear end started shaking whenever I slowed between 30-40 MPH. I'm not talking subtle shaking . I talking stop the car and check for flat tire shaking.

Next day took the car to the dealer. Of course the car did not exhibit the shake on the test drive by shop foreman. They checked the car out for any obvious problems and eveything check out ok. Took the car home, had no problems for three or four days, then it hit again. It comes and go's. Anybody have any suggestions?
  • emaleemale Member Posts: 1,380
    i drove an '04 supercab last weekend. and i can say that i wasn't wowed enough to trade-in my '02 king ranch s-crew.

things i liked were the quietness/ride and drive.

things i didn't like were the chintzy chrome covered inside door handles that feel as cheap as they look. the climate control knobs felt brittle when rotated. the wood grain in the lariate was atrocious! my '77 cordoba sported better faux wood... the outside fuel door is plastic and on the truck i test drove it looked like a different colour than the surrounding sheet metal.

as for the 5.4l...to me it didn't feel anymore powerful than my '02 5.4l. the newer 4r75e tranny did shift better than my 4r70w. however, i felt my truck sounded better at full throttle vs the new one.

overall i wasn't impressed enough to get serious about trading...
  • lennxlennx Member Posts: 73
    Just bought a 2003 supercrew. 2004 was nice but even bigger/taller than 2003 which is already large.

Ride is great. Got 14.5 mpg around town and 16.8 mpg hwy on first two fill ups. (5.4 engine)

Heat control appear to be screwed up. When I turn to floor from panel, both panel and floor are blowing. Turn to defrost and there is lots of noise but little air flow. Turn to floor again and all the air goes onto the windsheild. Shut it off and there ia a loud whine/hiss. Already scheduled to have dealer check it.

Besides heat problem truck is great.
  • brandon1984brandon1984 Member Posts: 2
    I just purchased a Flowmaster exhaust system for my 2003 F-150 SC, I did the research for this product. Did I make the right choice?
    A vacuum hose was broken. Fix was quick and the heat works now.

Mixed hwy/ around town giving me just under 17 mpg. Sticker says I should get 18 mpg on the highway.
  • tombctombc Member Posts: 1
    Brandon1984- You made a good choice. Both my sons installed Flowmaster split rear exhaust to their 2003 F-150's and they sound great. I installed a Gibson split rear to my 2000 F-150 SC. The sound is more mellow. I like the sound of the Flowmaster which is what I will get when my new 2004 F-150 FX4 Screw arrives.
  • jaguar0027jaguar0027 Member Posts: 387
    about Magnaflow mufflers as well. Esp for the Ford Trucks.
    Had my first good change to use 4 x 4. Went to a job site that is still all dirt. Well actually mud and water as it has been raining here. 4x4 high worked great. Switch in to 4x4 Hi, switch back to 2 wheel drive.

Truck got dirty but I did not get stuck or bottom out.

Could not imagine getting onto the site in my old Camry.
  • price4000price4000 Member Posts: 4
    I'm in the market for a 2001-2002 model F-150 SuperCrew. This is primarily because of my price limit and not wanting to buy too old. However, as there are low mileage 1999-2000 models in decent condition, I'm wondering what minor modifications (if any) Ford made from 1999 to 2000 to 2001 to 2002. Are there any owners of these models who can provide me the differences?
    I thought 2001 was the first year for the Supercrew.
    Was the first year of the Supercrew.
  • price4000price4000 Member Posts: 4
    Okay, good catch. Forget 1999-2000. What were any changes/modifications made to the 2002 SC's over the previous 2001 SC model (if any)? Thanks again.
    price4000,

if i remember right the biggest changes on the '02s were different seats and rear headrests...and different wheels. mechanicals, as far as i can tell, never changed at all...
  • chuckles_gchuckles_g Member Posts: 10
    The seats and headrests, late 2001 model year.

They also had a change-over sometime mid-year 2002 to the 100k extended life coolant, Ford's own Motorcraft coolant, can't be mixed w/other types.
  • doeyloudoeylou Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 F-150 SuperCrew. I put it into 4 wheel drive this morning on my way to work and noticed a clicking sound for a couple of seconds. Is this normal? I have not had to use 4 wheel drive before this.
  • jrc346jrc346 Member Posts: 337
    Yes, that is perfectly normal, it is just the switch doing its job. If it isn't clicking then you have reason to worry ;-)
  • guy21guy21 Member Posts: 129
    I have a 2001 SuperCrew, 5.4L with 27,000 miles on it. I change oil every 3,000 miles and do every other one myself. At this change, I drained the old oil into a drain pan and then put it into a recycle container. After the pan was drained, I noticed small silver flecks at the bottom of the pan. Got out my magnet and they are steel. The drain pan was brand new and clean prior to the change.

When I called my dealer, he said to put another 1,000 miles on the new oil and then bring in. He will drain and send the oil in for analysis.

Any suggestions or ideas? Should the engine loose oil pressure or get noisey, it will go in sooner. Thanks.
    3000 miles and this is a great truck. The delaer installed a piece of pin striping that was mising and replaced a defective vent.

The vent was frustrating. In other vehicles I have owned, the vent just pops out. They spent a day taking the dash apart to replace the vent because it bolts in.

Gas milage is averaging 16 mpg around town and highway.
  • rossn2rossn2 Member Posts: 16
    THis problem is posted on the Ford F-Series Pickup board, other than SUPERCREW owner board.

I owned a 2001 2wd XLT Supercrew, 2001 4wd XLT Supercrew, and a 2003 FX4 XLT Supercrew (5.4 V8, 3.73 posi-rearend, tow pkg) and experienced the vibration problem you described on the 03 model. It happened at certain highway speeds. I never took the truck back or complained, just a slight inconvienance. I don't have a heavy foot and Gas mileage was 16-18 hwy and around 15-16 city.

I really enjoyed my SuperCrews, never had any major problems or complaints and agree the 6-cd changer in console is a pain in the butt to access when driving the vehicle. Alas, I wanted a diesel and recently sold the 03 and moved up to an 04 2500 Dodge Quad Cab 4x4 with HO Cummins and 4.10 rear end. Looked at F250, but just too darn expensive and couldn't get it in a stick. And the Dodge dealer offered me $1500 more than the Ford Dealer for trade-in. At 3,000 miles, Dodge Fuel mileage 18-22 city!
  • 4x4bully14x4bully1 Member Posts: 8
    Well if you spell Ford backwards it's DROF. I DROF A FORD and converted from Dodge. I hope I made the right decision.

As luck would have it, the very day I drof my shinny new Bright Red FX4 home, a noise from the left front drive train became a huge concern. The next morning at the service line I was told that none of the new Fords have come in for mechanical problems, only oil changes. It really stumped them. Upon test driving the truck with listening devices all over the bottom of it, a bad hub was diagnosed. We left it there for repairs with the understanding we were not in the market for a PROJECT VEHICLE. Continuing with us taking delivery of this one would be based on whether or not it turned out to be a simple fix, and/or if they could find an exact replacement.

Well the hub was not the exact problem. The noise continued. The diaphragm actuator was not fully disengaging causing the splines to clank against one other. I really am disappointed that me as a fresh convert to Ford got such a bad start.

Due to no other exact replacement vehicles any where in San Antonio, we are taking the leap of faith that this is the only problem we encounter!

Any other problems out there with the new Fords?
  • dustykdustyk Member Posts: 2,926
    You realize that if this same thing would have happened to a Dodge some of these Ford lovers would be telling you that this is nothing but a sign of things to come and how much better Fords are.

Ford makes a pretty good truck, but nobody, and I mean nobody is pefect, despite the claims you'll hear in other quarters. Obviously this was a defect at assembly. I'm sure your dealer will make this right and you will have good service from it.

Regards,
    Dusty
  • williamk38williamk38 Member Posts: 20
    I am in the market for a Ford or Chevy with the above specs. I am a SUV convert ('89 Toyota Land Cruiser) but need space for renovation jobs.

Does anyone have any pro's or con's about the above trucks? It seems the Fords are a bit cheaper in price.

Also, would you have any problems buying one of these trucks with 30k - 45k miles? Shouldn't these trucks run to 150k or so with few problems when they are not abused and oil changed regularly.

Please advise. Thanks for the help.
    Last night on the news program they showed the 2004 F150 surviving the front end collision test and it performed very well. The first video showed the 2003 year model and then the 2004....Man what a difference!!! With over 17 years in auto claims, I can appreciate the improvements in this years model. Granted the end result is still a total loss from the wreck, at least the cabin remained intact so fewer if any injuries would result. I am still disappointed that
    Ford has not stepped up to the plate quicker with the optional side air curtains. I have read that maybe next years edition will offer them.
    over at msnbc's website. And it does appear to be a big difference. Makes me wish I had a 2004 now!
    keep in mind guys that the '03 model tested was a supercab and not a supercrew.
    I'm no structural engineer, but what little knowledge I do have from adjusting auto claims for 17 years, I'd be willing to bet the S Crew will do just as well or even better. Based on the fact there is a center ( B ) pillar in the S Crew whereas the SC does not, I feel there is even more structural strength.
    i would hope the '03 supercrew would do MUCH better than the '03 supercab...which did horribly!!
    I hope you guys are right too!
This discussion has been closed.