Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Acura TL Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• albanytimalbanytim Member Posts: 18
    I think these rates are available on all Acuras and Hondas, so it probably doesn't mean anything about the when the '06 TL will arrive.

I picked up my new Silver '05 TL, auto, navi today at Northeast Acura in Latham, NY. I paid $32,995 and they threw in wheel locks (I asked for trunk tray and splash guards also but couldn't get them). They are the only local dealer so I emailed about a dozen within 75-125 miles (downstate NY, CT, NJ and MA) through acura.com. The quotes I got ranged from $32,695 to $33,900. The lowest quote was from Ramsey, NJ but I decided it wasn't worth the 2 hour drive to save $300.
  • thecrazyonethecrazyone Member Posts: 1
    Waddup fellow enthusiasts..
    I have several questions which I'm hoping that at LEAST SOMEONE reading this can answer...
    I need a car ASAP and am not sure whether to wait for the 06 or go get raped on an 05.

FIRST: WILL THE 2006 TL HAVE THE SAME NEW INTEGRATED KEY-FOB AS THE 2005 ACCORD?? -- Very Nice. The security buttons built into the key itself.
    SECOND: ANYONE'S DEALER TOLD THEM EXACTLY WHAT DAY FOR THE 06 TO ARRIVE YET?
    THIRD: IS THE A-SPEC WORTH IT?

ADDITIONALLY: I learned today that the 06 Acura's will now have a 6-year 70K mile warranty rather than the 5/50.

Also, I'm in Salt Lake City area and am wondering if anyone out there can suggest the best dealer to purchase from. Not very good experience with the local guys.

Cheers.
  • delmar1delmar1 Member Posts: 744
    'thecrazyone'....geez...your plea for 'at least someone' to answer. Wow.

Well...let me see. (1) The 'integrated key'...who knows...kinda cool...but not a big sell for me. (2) What day the '06 arrive....the bigger question should be when could you actually take delivery. Even if you want to be the first owner on the '06 TL...likely your delivery will be staggered as the one you want hasn't hit the lot. (3) A-Spec....the worth is personal tastes...and I say it is more visual flair.

??? What I don't understand is your position of " need a car ASAP and am not sure whether to wait for the 06 or go get raped on an 05 " Why would you even think you would not receive a favorable '05 experience? If anything...you definitely won't get a comparable price with an '06 with anticipated few changes from the '05 (unless you require and hope for an integrated key fob)
  • tianctianc Member Posts: 13
    Hi, first of all, I'd like to give thanks to everyone in this forum; you guys are awesome! I have gathered a bunch of quotes from SoCal Acura dealers and I am pretty much set on Santa Monica with $31,599 (like others on this message broad, they consistently have the lowest quote). I am in NoCal and happen to go down there for the labor day weekend, so might as well check it out. The person I am talking to is Julio, a pretty responsive guy. I will let everyone know my experience after my visit. Good luck to me! :)
    By the way, NoCal dealerships' seem to be pretty competitive compared to SoCal... if not for the fact that I am going down to LA this weekend, I could have given them serious thoughts (Marin Concord offered $32,599, which is actually lower than some of the SoCal quote I have received).
    BTW, it is the one with Nav, AT.
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,725
    Wow. Congrats on a great deal for a great car! You win twice, enjoy.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    You are worried about getting "raped" by buying a 2005 and yet are considering the A-spec package??

I have a 2004 TL 6-speed with the HPT tire package. When my car was in for service last fall, the dealer gave me an A-spec car that they had taken in on trade in as a loaner. I drove it 40+/- miles through DC and on the Beltway. It was an automatic transmission car.

In my opinion, the A-spec package is not worth anything in terms of noticable performance compared to the standard 6-speed. The 6-speed, with the standard sport suspension, high performance tires and Brembo brakes handled and braked every bit as well as the A-spec car. And putting an A-spec on a automatic is a clear case of bipolar disorder.

Unless you are hell bent to attach a bunch of cosmetic do-dads to a TL, forget the A-spec. In my opinion, the TL looks good out of the box and there is no need to defrock it of its natural beauty and integrity. As you can probably tell, I am a "substance" oriented person. The A-spec is frills without substance.
  • graffixxgraffixx Member Posts: 41
    I have gathered a bunch of quotes from SoCal Acura dealers and I am pretty much set on Santa Monica with $31,599 (like others on this message broad, they consistently have the lowest quote).

Holy smokes...that is a great deal. Congrats to you!!
  • satsat Member Posts: 1
    I think we got a great deal after doing a lot of shopping and negotiating. We ended up with the TL non-navi in red with black interior from Acura of Brooklyn:

$30,000 + tax (6% NJ tax) + registration
    We didn't pay any destination charges or any additional fees.

We had two months left on our lease, and got the dealer down to $30,300, but he said he'd pick up one of our lease payments and make it an even $30,000 to get the deal done.

We live in NJ and went to a number of places who tried to make it seem like we were getting a great deal. Open Road Acura was nice to deal with, and originally we were looking for the TL with Navi. We got it down to $32,300 and told him that we saw people were getting it cheaper, so if he agreed to eat our remaining lease payments we would sign. He wouldn't go for it, so we left. Plus, he was charging the destination fees.

We then went out to Paragon Acura in Queens becuase they lured us in with offering 1.9% financing. We told the sales person that we had done a lot of research and already had a good offer, but with the 1.9% we would go with them if they would match it. He had the nerve to come back with the full sticker price. We even showed him this message board, but would not go below $33,500 with navi. We left

We then called Acura of Brooklyn to see if they had the same 1.9% financing. Luckily, the sales manager picked up the phone and was wonderful. He told us that the only way to get anything like 1.9% was if they were significantly increasing the price of the car to make up for it, and also said that the 1.9% was probably only for 24 months (check the fine print!). I told him that we had an offer for $32,300 from another dealer, and would he match it? He said yes, plus, he wouldn't charge destination. We came over and negotated directly with him. What a difference it is to deal directly with the sales manager! He only had two cars w/ navi coming in and they weren't in the color we wanted. We decided that we really didn't need the navi anyway, so he immediately took off the $2000 cost of the navi, and then we went from there. Once we hit the final price of $30,000 he passed us off to one of his salesman who was also great to work with. He kept in touch with us over the last few days to confirm that he received all of our insurance ppwork, etc. which I really appreciated.

We picked up the car last night and its beautiful. Granted, it was a pain to go all the way to Brooklyn, but well worth the excellent service and great price we got on the car.
  • socalbyrsocalbyr Member Posts: 15
    Good price. Got mine fm Santa Monica a month ago so the price was a little bit higher. I had my credit union financing so paper works took less than 30 minutes. But it took longer to get the car because the TL was just being unloaded fm the transporter...prep was to follow. The TL had only 3 miles in the odometer.:)

Internet no haggling/hassle pricing is the way to go. I wish other car brands will do the same.
    "You may include the dealership name, city and state in your post. Please do not post names of salespeople, telephone numbers, email addresses, or other contact information."... oops, I didn't see it before posting my first message, my bad.

Anyways, hopefully I can get out of there within an hour or so, since I have a plane to catch in San Francisco that same day :P

BTW, did you ask for freebies such as wheellocks, splash guards?
  • ceb90ceb90 Member Posts: 24
    Hi everyone,
    I have been reading this forum for over a year now and I decided this weekend would be the best time to go look for an blk on blk TL w/Nav. I have a question I e-mailed almost all the acura dealerships that you listed except Downey, Norm Reeves, and Weir Canyon. The only one that responded was

Glendale- (But don't have blk) But asked would I want another color. Gave me a quote of $32,400 plus tax, lic., dmv and CA tire disposal
    fees.

Alhambra- quote $32,555*-I told them about your quote of $31,599 and they said that quote is unbeatable at 31599. Make sure it's a real number.

Keyes-Didn't give a quote but said they have one on the lot, but it has accessories on it (18'' chrome whls, underbody kit, side molding, lip spoiler, whl locks and mud guards).

They others have not responded back to my request. Should I call them to get a quote? I am looking to buy this weekend for that price and blk on blk w/nav.
  • golferheregolferhere Member Posts: 27
    Hi there-- I would send Santa Monica Acura an email, and see if they will match a price seen here a few times recently, which was $31,599 for an '05 with Nav. I would also recommend contacting Acura of Glendale to give them a chance to come close. I dealt with them, and they're great people......Hope this helps.
    Good that you are getting multiple quotes...as that is the way to do your search.

I am not sure how long ago you contacted them with a request for quote. However...typcially you will get an ackowledgement within the day...and a quote in approx 24 hrs or so.

If you do not receive a response back...go to their respective website and request again. Possible that the internet manager had the day off (middle of the week right now) or they are tied up wrapping up deals.

If you continue not to receive a response...determine who is the internet manager and email or call directly. If no response...blow them off.

Look at the pricing provided by many on this board for guidance.

If they don't have the car on the lot..and don't get sucked into getting a bunch of accessories you didn't want....inquire if they are able to swap a car for you...to get your color of choice.

Remember....cast a wide net (also know that San Diego has really poor pricing)...be patient...and get what you desire. And a TL is absolutely something to be desired.
  • quest3quest3 Member Posts: 33
    Any help would be appreciated. I'm thinking of buying an 05 TL it is the demo model and has 5700 miles on it. It is a non navi, anyone have suggestions on what I should be willing to pay or where to start negotiating? I been told dealer cost , but don't know what dealer cost is on an 05 TL. Lil help here please.. And is the 06 TL AWD just a rumor or a fact?
    Thank you for the advice. I send out another e-mail to those dealers, because I am trying to get acura special finance deal before it ends. So I will let everyone know what happens.
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,725
    What you describe is a (very) used car. Dealer cost (approx. $30,700) is much too high to start as some people are getting NEW '05 for this amount or less! Check Edmunds.com and KBB.com for used car values. Let the dealer make the first offer and go down from there.

I paid invoice for a non-nav TL back in late December '04 with only minor negotiations.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• ariegnrariegnr Member Posts: 7
    Hi Ceb90: When I was looking, I too didn't recieve an immediate response from either Santa Monica or Acura 101 West. I simply responded to the "we have recieved your request" emails and asked for their prices, and heard back from both within the day. If you are still looking, I would suggest doing the same-sometimes it takes a little more push to get a price from the lower priced dealerships, but it's worth it-the prices that you will get will make up for the extra time you spend. The quotes you got are on the higher end, especially since the 06's are on their way. And you get the joy of knowing you are driving a TL for a great price :-)
    Hello everyone,

I emailed some old & new dealer.Theses are the quotes I received so far.

Riverside acura-$33,595 which includes destination.
    I e-mailed them back and told them that I am looking for price quote around $31,500, and I am wanted to purchase by this weekend.
    (There response was sorry but we will not sel a TL for a $1000 back of invoice. We'll probably be out of them beforew the 2006 models show up.)

Acura 101West- $32,995 plus tax and
    license

Downey acura- e-mailed me a promotion website saying (Lets Make A deal
    Whats It Going ToTake ????????). So I replied back telling them I am looking to purchase a black on black TL w/Nav by this weekend. The lowest price quote I received was $31,599.00

Keyes acura-Response was what's your price range?
    we may do something special for you. I replied back my price range was $31,500.

I have not heard back from Santa monica
  • tl_jaxtl_jax Member Posts: 1
    You guys are awesome! You helped me, a guy who never bought a new car (never thought I would), get up to speed on the new TL market very quickly. My wife and I already fell in love with the car (car is for her) and researched enough to realize it didn't make sense to buy used when the car holds its value so well. So on Monday night, I found you guys via a web search and stayed up until 1:30 am catching up on where/when/how to buy new. Tuesday, I followed the model - sent a few e-mails at lunch time, made a few calls in the evening, and ended up with a very fair deal on a new TL.

Purchased from Acura of Orange Park (dealer and internet manager prominently featured here). The internet manager and I actually spoke before he gave me a price. I told him what I was looking for (armed with the info from this group), I noted it was the end of the month and he accommodated me on price/features (other dealer quotes were fairly high). I went in Tuesday night and bought the car based on what we had agreed upon. He was very professional throughout the process.

So in two days (less than 48 hours), I went from an uninformed car purchaser, to a highly informed purchaser with a new car! Here's my opportunity to give back. By the way, though they are in limited supply, the 6-speeds are fantastic. If you enjoy driving and are not just looking to go from pt. A to pt. B, you have to try the 6-speed. My wife and I both love it. I drove the auto for a day while they installed the spoiler, and its a night-and-day difference.

'05 TL 6-Speed without Nav; White Diamond Pearl; Parchment Leather; Protection Pkg.; High-Performance Tires (hpt); added Rear Wing Spoiler

$30,786 (incl. destination, protection pkg, and hpt) + $665 spoiler + license fee + doc fee + 7% tax
    ------------------
    $33, 600 OTD

Keep up the good work!
  • tbntbn Member Posts: 2
    I picked up my 05 TL w/o Navi from Sterling McCall on 09/01 for $31,200 with 2 years free oil change and tinted window.
    Just picked up the vehicle from Glendale Acura. The deal was a breeze. It took 4 phone conversations and just over an hour at the dealership.

'05 TL Auto w/ Navi
    Silver/Ebony
    Wheel locks, splash guards, and trunk tray

The odometer read 5 miles :shades:

$32018 + 8.25% tax + TTL = ~ $34, 990 OTD.

After emailing a bunch of dealerships, I received quotes from:

Thomas Acura: $32, 205 + fees
    Alhambra Acura: $32, 555 + fees
    Cerritos Acura: $36, 555 + fees
    Santa Monica Acura: Didn't have the color I wanted.
    Metro Acura: No reply.
    Downey Acura: Passed when I offered at $31, 205.

I had a terrible experience at Keyes in Van Nuys. After getting fed up with their internet sales manager (via email) with the short replies of "Sorry, that's too low..." blah blah, I decided to pay them a visit, only because it was 2 miles from my work. I called in advance to make sure they have the vehicle in stock. The guy (not the internet sales manager, he wasn't around) was just plain arrogant. After introducing himself, he asked for my driver's license. I didn't even get a chance to see the car. The first car they showed me had 144 miles on the odometer. After going thru their inventory and locating the cars in the lot, and having to take down the location number so they can go get the keys, we finally found the car we were going to bid for.

The sales guy showed no interest whatsoever in wanting to sell me the vehicle. I offered him $34, 000 OTD and he said "Sorry, you're at the wrong place buying the wrong car" as he was starting to get up from the table. He then told me invoice was $34, 555 and that didn't include the wheel locks, splash guards, and trunk tray. I told him the other deals are including them in the deal. I also told him that invoice is $32, 555 and that's with destination. He didn't want to believe me. I was shocked. He didn't even make an attempt to counter offer. The initial offer I made wasn't like ridiculous or anything. Oh well, I got a free water bottle from them :D

Thanks everyone for your help and advice. As for the rest, good luck!
  • kurtpkurtp Member Posts: 15
    I will be getting one of these great TLs at the end of the year, and was hoping that someone in this forum could tell me if this is a good time for this. Also, I had spoken with Costco participating dealers and they said that, by contract, they can't sell these cars at lower prices than what they give to Costco customers. I lost the figures that they mentioned, but was hoping that one of you on the forum would be able to shed some light on this for me.

Thanks for your time.

Kurt
    One more thing: Are there obligations to using the same dealer for service that you bought the car at? My thoughts are no this isn't the case, but wanted to get confirmation from someone else in the forum. Is there any reason to not search for a dealer with the best price, even if it is 100 miles from my home?

Thanks again.

Kurt
    'kurtp'.... Regarding the Costco deals....they really aren't that great compared to rolling up your sleeves and doing your homework. For instance...in San Diego, the Costco 'special' price was about $500 more than the other dealers in San Diego.

And if you haven't read all the notes here...you really want to spread your wings and get quotes from other regional dealers. The price that can be obtained in the LA and Orange County (drive about 1-2 hrs) can save you $1500...which makes the drive worth it.

As for are you obligated to have your car services at where you bought the car....NO WAY. You may bring it to any dealer and you will be treated very well. In fact...service departments will fawn over you to get the potential of getting warranty work.

Please take your time to read this board for more info....it will save you sigificant $$$.
  • fsudreyerfsudreyer Member Posts: 28
    Has anyone leased the tl for less than 42 months? I would like to lease it for 24 or max 36 months. I live in South Florida and have a great quote on a TL non-navi for 30k even (including dest) but the lease from the same dealer is 42 months $397 plus tax and 2k out of pocket. Any help of a shorter/better lease would be appreciated!!!!! Thanks, Will
    OK....many people may not have seen all the boards related to the TL. I did post the follow info previously in the 2006 TL board...but I figure since many of you are not swimming to other boards...here it is again....

Below is a link of the official annoucement of the 2006 TL from Acura !

http://www.hondanews.com/CatID3000?mid=2005083070963&mime=asc

Sure doesn't look like many changes from the 2005 TL. Pretty much as I anticipated.
  • utc2utc2 Member Posts: 42
    Another SoCal story....

First off, special thanks to delmar1, ariegn, graffixx, socalbyr, jbdriver, and others in the SoCal region.

I purchased an '05 TL w/ navigation 5-AT (black on black) this morning at the Santa Monica dealership for $31,490 (OTD $34,095). Price included mudguards and I saved a bit by paying Ventura County sales tax (7.25%).

I started my search about 2 weeks ago. Wanted to go the internet route as so many people noted how easy this was. Here are the quotes I received.

Cush (SD) - $34,199
    Cush (Escondido) - stated they called me (in their emails) but never did
    Norm Reeves (Temecula) - $32,855
    Santa Monica - as above
    Keyes (Van Nuys)- did price match but for over a week and to this datedid not have the color combo in stock
    Cerritos - could not match
    Tustin - could not match
    Gold Coast (Ventura) - could not match
    Weir Canyon (Anaheim) - $32,599
    Acura 101 (Calabasas) - never returned my email

Van Nuys and Santa Monica turned out to be the cheapest and this is consistent with other posts. The internet sales reps at both sites were very fair and pleasant to deal with although the one from Keyes may seem short and rude (as someone else posted) he's actually pretty reasonable on the phone.

Excited with the purchase and the price I paid. Only 2 miles on the car and literally fresh off the truck as it arrived this am. Turns out the black on black combo is a tough one to track down. Good luck to everyone with their purchases and thanks again to all who have contributed -- as you can see I saved $2500 by not buying in my local market (SD).
    Congrats utc2.

Only 2 miles on the car and literally fresh off the truck as it arrived this am.

Who did you go through to get the car delivered to your house? and if you don't mind, how much did you pay for the deliver?
    Congrats to you as well! My wife will be picking it up tomorrow. I could be wrong but I think most dealerships will deliver at no charge within a certain radius.

The other thing I learned today is that there is a new optional extended warranty - 8yr 120k miles. Offerred at $1800+. Yikes! Needless to say, I passed.
    'utc2'.....congrats on the great wheeling and dealing there. You done very well and with a great purchase experience. I will be looking round the 'UTC' area (I work on the Sorrento Mesa area) for that sharp black on black TL.

As for the extended warranty...of course pass on that. However...what is interesting is that I was offered that package for something like $900. That is where they tried to gouge you.

Yes....you learned my addage. Don't buy a car in the San Diego market...saved you $2,500. And each time you see those poor fools with the Cush and Hoehn license frame...you will have the satisfaction of probably beating their price by $3k.

Also...congrats to ariegn, graffixx, socalbyr, and jbdriver.

[by the way...did you all notice that each of the So Cal buyers each had great deals from different dealers? See...just as I had said for months...there is not one single source of getting the best deal. Gotta shop around the region and be receptive to the possibility that the best deal will come from the unexpected]
    Just got an Internet price from Santa Monica Acura and these are their words:

that is for a base model the navigation is $32149.00 plus tax and lic the supply on the 2005 is very low at our dealership.

I imagine that their written words would be different than in person or over the phone, but I was hoping that things would have started lower priced. I am looking for a white car like yours with NAV and 5 speed automatic.

Congraturlations on your car and price. Do you suggest I continue with SMA or look at another dealer? Maybe try the representative you dealt with??? What is their name?

Thanks again.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,777
    Please... Do not post the name of any salespeople or dealership representatives... That violates our rules....

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Is there a value in waiting until the end of the year to pick up a 2005 TL or will I simply risk there not being the color I want and being an upsell project to 2006 for the salesperson?

This forum and your advice is great.

Have a nice weekend.

Kurt
    Oops. Sorry about that.
  • rj1rj1 Member Posts: 2
    UTC2, I also add my congrats on your great deal. I am actually trying to work the best deal right now.

Quotes recd today (9/3) for a 2005 TL Auto w/ Nav:

SM: 32,495, followed by counter of 32,125
    South Bay: 32,945
    101: no reply
    Glendale: 32,000
    Van Nuys: no quote yet

I would prefer to deal w/ Santa Monica since I live nearby, but will likely go with either Glendale or Van Nuys (Keyes) at this point.

Also, since Santa Monica is located in LA County, I think you probably paid 8.25% tax????
    Right now is the 'end of the year' for a 2005. The 2006 is expected to be available during October 2005.

I do not know what type of inventory is available in your area...but I would anticipate that to dry up fast. Also..doubt you will see the pricing seen on this board in a 2006 TL....which has only few modifications from a 2005. See my post today regarding the official Acura annoucement of the mods.
    utc2- Congrats on your new TL. I did not get a response from Santa Monica so I called and talked to the internet manger. He told me that he just sold his last blk on blk TL w/nav today. So I asked him for a quote and he said $32,500 if he had any more blk on blk on the lot. Then I told him that I knew someone that got a quote for $31,599. His response was that they had alot of TL w/navs on the lot, but now there are no more navs on the lot so the quotes are not going to be that low. Also he said there are 2 blk on blk navs coming in but they are sold, and I would probably have to wait about a couple weeks for another blk on blk TL.

Keyes- Called me and left an message saying that don't have no blk on blk in route, but would I like another color.

Thomas acura- Said they could not match Santa monica price. But gave me a quote of $35,240(OTD) which include the pro package (I don't want), wheel locks, and paint protection.

So my question is to everyone is this a good price, since the inventory seem to be getting low? Or should I still keep looking, even though I am trying to take advantage of the special finance for 3.9% for 4years? Please give a response I told Thomas I would call tomorrow.

Thank you
    Thanks all for the congratulations. My wife and I are very excited. Now we just need to figure out how all the gadgets work.

Kurtp - Would reccomend one of two things to you. Tell them (SMA) that you are looking for a quote around $31,500 (or whatever you goal is) or ask them to price match to that value. My hunch is that they'll go for it. If they won't it seems like either Keyes or perhaps Glendale will. To be fair, I can't give you the dealer's name but it was an internet sales rep.

rj1 - I paid Ventura Co. sales tax since my permanent address is from there and my drivers license has that address but otherwise you're right you would have to pay 1% more in LA Co.

delmar1 - You're right I will secretly be laughing when I see those Cush and Hoehn plates. Thanks again for your help...seems like you are the pseudo-moderator for this forum. My wife thinks you are an Acura guru.

Good luck all...

PS - You can often pay a limit on your credit card. That way you can get miles, cash back, etc. At SMA you can put up to $5000 on your cc.
    Ceb90 -- agree with you. I think that black on black w/ navi's are hard to come by. I had a tough time myself. Is your price fair?? I don't know honestly. May not be too many left. May be wiser to wait until the '06's come but I would anticipate paying >$2000 more.

I don't think the protection package is worth it as well (just my personal opinion). I thought the mudguards were nice because my car is black to begin with so they didn't stand out. The dealers make money when they sell you these and maybe you can negotiate w/o the package as should save theoretically over $500 as that is their charge.

As for the paint protection, I've heard from others that this is no more than a nice coat of wax. I'd rather do that myself and save the $$$.

I would try to negotiate a little lower considerring most buyers of late (myself included) have negotiated for around $34,100 - $34,900 OTD. But you are rolling the dice so to speak. Good luck to you.
    delmar1, thanks for the advice.

Were you able to negotiate with SMA from their initial quote? If so, do you remember where they started with you? To be honest, the guy that I have dealt with over the Internet has seemed questionably interested in my business. I am not sure if it is because he is new and unaware of how to treat customers or if this is a tact that helps to ensure a higher price for them. Are there other dealers that you would recommend in SMA's area so I could, worse case, have other options while up there? Would you suggest contacting them by Internet first to avoid their traditional sales process?

Thanks again. Although I have several neighbors and friends that have this car, they were all purchsed in SD with little research on price. I really appreicate the help you and others on this forum have provided.

Have a nice night and I hope to read a response from you tomorrow.

Kurt
    kurtp,

I worked directly with one of the internet sales reps at sma who also seemed questionably interested with me. But in the end after some persistence was easy to work with. Their 1st quote was $31,499 (after I emailed telling them I heard people were getting this sort of rate at their dealership). Keyes at Van Nuys will match (see numerous previous posts). Their initial emails will be vague like "what price do you want us to match?" But they will likely do so and if they do make sure you get them to email or fax you the details. As delmar1 has posted get the details in writing and then you are set in terms of no haggling. Be sepcific (i.e. mudguards, tire locks, detsination fees, etc.) Someone posted a good experience in Glendale as well recently. Good luck to you!
    'utc2' - Kurt.... you mentioned "Are there other dealers that you would recommend in SMA's area so I could, worse case, have other options while up there?"

My take is that the whole LA area is pretty compact..so that you could go do a web search and you will find almost a dozen within an hour drive. In fact...most that have been scouting in So Calif mentioned dealers that are within an hour drive.

Now...what you really want to do is to narrow the price down amongst several dealers first before you actually drive out. That way you can best deploy your resources.

Kurt....also...what prices did your SD friends pay by doing little research? That will put into perspective the power of knowledge from this site.

'utc2'...nah...not a pseudo moderator. Just a quick typist (with typos) that is trying to help others as this board also saved me $$ and trying to return the favor.

Good TL hunting folks!
    "don't think the protection package is worth it as well (just my personal opinion). "

Actually the protection package is worth it if it the effective cost is about $200-250. You really will want the wheel locks even if you live in good areas as you may drive to a parking lot somewhere else and poof...gone. The trunk tray...great stuff with your first trunk spill. Splash guards....really keeps your car cleaner and avoid rock throws. Also...makes your car looks lower to the ground.

I would have already have bought the wheel locks and splash guards...so that tilted my expections and preferences.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,777
    ...nah...not a pseudo moderator. Just a quick typist (with typos) that is trying to help others as this board also saved me $$ and trying to return the favor.

See? This is what makes Edmunds special...

Keep up the good work, delmar1!!

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

The quote from Glendale Acura for a 2005 TL with NAV and 5 SPD auto was $32000 before tax and extras like wheel locks and such. The total OTD price would be about $34700 as I want it configured with 7 3/4% tax. SMA said they didn't have the white color I wanted and weren't interested in getting it. I will now call SoCal Acura once I find their phone number. My hope is to find a dealer that will at least match this price and be closer to San Diego, as I a drive to Irvine is a lot easier than the middle of LA. Any thoughts?

Is this quote alright? There didn't appear to be any room to move this lower, or I wasn't able to do this. Do you know if the Internet pricing is pretty rigid?

Thanks.

Kurt
    utc2- Can you e-mail the internet sales rep name that you dealt with at SMA?
    Hello kurtp- Can you also e-mail me the name of the internet sale rep you dealt with too?
    I took your advice and tried Glendale one more time. But this time I went down there and talk to the internet manger. He told me the first quote he gave me a several days ago which was $32400. I told him what SMA was quoting, and he said can't go that low. Then he said SMA is giving low quotes to just get customer down there and then change the price higher. I explained to him that those quotes are real. Then I asked for a OTD price, which he gave me a price of $35400. I told him that Thomas Acura was lower than that, so with little negotiation they gave me an quote of $31,700, the OTD price is $34,641.71

He said the finance for 48mo 3.9% with $5000 down, my payments will be $671mo.
    For 60mo at 4.9% w/$5000 down payments will be $558mo.

Are this payment number be right?Is there a way to lower the payment amount? Oh yeah I am in LA County.
    ceb90,
    For privacy reasons, I can't give you the name of the SMA internet dealer, but to help I can tell you when you deal with them you'll get a generic email reply with the name of two reps. I dealt with the one who goes by his initials. Hope that helps.

Sounds like you negotiated nicely with Glendale. Well done. Not too knowledgeable with the financing rates and will defer to others....