Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Acura TL Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• exb0exb0 Member Posts: 539
    I didn’t purchase one, but here are some stats:

I don’t remember what the original asking price was, but eventually the F&I guy came down to $1070 for the 7/100k AcuraCare with a $50 deductible, or, $880 for a third party warranty company with a $100 deductible. You can do better than $1070 for the accuracare package if you are willing to do some work. Three additional years on a third party warranty, but supported by Ford, for the Ford Explorer was $950 with $100 deductable.

Remember, you can buy the extended warranty at any time while your car is still covered under the manufacturer’s warranty. Although, there are additional fees involved. If my memory doesn’t fail me, I think this was the break down:
    $125 after the first year or 12K
    $175 after two years or 24K
    $250 after three years or 36K

I’ll be watching the TL problems forum. If transmission starts blowing again, I’ll buy the warranty.
  • dulnevdulnev Member Posts: 652
    If transmission starts blowing up again, Acura will surely at least do the same thing as last time: provide free extended transmission warranty until 7yrs 100K miles. So you wouldn't have to buy your own.

At $1,100 the warranty is not a terrible deal, just a bad one. Obviously you didn't take it because you're just as confident as I am that it would be mostly or completelly wasted money. I ever very risk averse, I would consider buying this policy, if it were around $700, for the peace of mind.
    Carmax and most dealers, especially the ones on the east coast, use what is referred to as the “Black book”. From what I understand, these are average prices at two major for dealers only auctions in PA and FL. This is the true wholesale price for your car, you should not except much lower than that. You can find the Black book on www.cars.com. Watch out for Edmunds prices. Dealers love them, both the TMV for new and trades.

Carmax pays as close to wholesale as possible. They only keep the best, and sell the rest to other dealers. Carmax salesman told me that they get a fixed fee paid by dealers for these sales. The Carmax appraisers get paid a fixed commission for each purchase that they make. Therefore, it is in their best interest to try to give you a little more, so that you would sell the car to them.

BTW, on Saturday Carmax was listing a 2003 Type-S for $28K. Go figure.
    That was 48-months financing.

“So when they say that the "waive" the fee in Virginia, what they do is deduct the amount of the fee from the purchase price. This way you're even-Steven, and the appearance of charging everyone the same fee is preserved.”

Bingo!

Protection package:
    If you go to the Acura.com to price a car out, select the trunk tray, floors mats and mud guards. Acura comes back w/ the protection package that includes those items for $277 (installation is additional). I was charged ½ hours of labor to install the mud guards. Wheels locks are separate.

BTW: All season floor mats come only in black. They don’t look very good with light color interiors.
  • dimariadimaria Member Posts: 44
    Actually from what I have been told here in the North East the prefered book that the dealers use for trade-ins is called a Galves Book. They have a website but they will not give any info on the Web. You have to buy the books. Usually around $6.00. They say there the best because there books come out more often. Weekly for American Cars, every 2 weeks for Foreign Cars. The prices that are stated in book is the actual price that the car has sold for at auction in the previous week, at places like Bordentown NJ. I sure that most dealers in the Tri-State area all use them. I have seen them carrying them. You can't mistake them they are little tiny paper backs books that fit in your pocket.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    A tv reporter is looking to interview a recent carbuyer who had to sign an arbitration contract at the dealership. Please respond to jackie.sobie@newpronet.com or jfallon@edmunds.com by 12/12/03 with your daytime contact info and a few words about your experience.
    Thanks,
    Jeannine Fallon
    PR Director
    Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• ihabermanihaberman Member Posts: 58
    I was offered the following today in Chicago...

-- '04 TL with Nav (silver/ebony or anthracite/ebony);
    -- $34,500
    -- Includes Trunk Tray, Floor Mats, Mud Guards, Wheel Locks;
    -- MSRP on above package is $35,733;
    -- Invoice is approx. $32,446 (not sure what "cost" on above accessories is);
    -- Total deal would be approx. $2K above invoice

Thoughts?????
  • gbriankgbriank Member Posts: 220
    What do you folks who have the Turanza EL-42's think of them? If I were to purchase the car, would it benefit to change out the tires? What would be the best way (and most profitable) to dispose of them?
    It is a "good price", if you think it is. If it's the best you can get from any dealer within the range you'e willing to drive, then it's the best you can do and you should be happy with it.
  • jgallo123jgallo123 Member Posts: 2
    This prices/experience board always has lots of great posts submitted each day. However I noticed the posts stopped suddently a few days ago. Technical problem or just holiday shopping? This test will tell.
  • mickedmicked Member Posts: 32
    I bought the green/camel today w/o nav WITH pro-pack for $30,500!

Has anyone else come close??
  • mrtechmrtech Member Posts: 18
    Got my Silver/ebony today w/o Nav with pro-pack for $30,900. Everyone else gave me $1000 off MSRP with out pro-pack.
    It's pretty obvious that one should not settle for anything worse than $2,000 off MSRP on non-NAVI version. The availability is excellent, with most dealers having pretty much every color combination on the lot.

As far as NAVI version, there's still low availability in many areas, forcing people to accept prices much closer to MSRP. In these areas prices are typically about $500 off MSRP.

In areas where NAVI availability is better - 1-3 cars on the lot - one can get $1,000-2,000 off MSRP. One can expect availability of NAVI versions to improve in the next couple month.

I think the price for non-NAVI TLs will settle around $1,000 over invoice in couple months. And NAVI will be around $1,500 over invoice.
  • uno5744uno5744 Member Posts: 2
    I am getting ready to purchase a 2004 TL. I live in the Kansas City Metro area. Has anyone out there bought from either of the dealers here? If so what kind of deals did you negotiate? Would it be better to go over to St Louis or maybe down to Oklahoma City? I would appreciate any help.
    Don't be lazy! Even if you get one or two responses from people on this board who are from your area, are you really going to base your buying decision on them? You have to do some active research by calling or e-mailing or faxing dealers in your area (the area that you're comfortable with to purchase the car).
  • a64marca64marc Member Posts: 21
    well this is the week I go to deal on a blue abyss with camel non-nav. Have been offered 1k over invoice- so 31,300- but from seeing deals above- I think I can do better here now in So Cal area where there are lots of cars and competition. Any issues with Camel interior MICKED? Anyone seeing better than a 53% residual for 48 months lease? Or better than .00215 m/f or 5.16% interest for leases with excellent credit? Honda Acura has a 550 acquisition fee right? No disposition fee plus gap coverage and a $1500 damage allowance at lease end>>??
  • cadub49ercadub49er Member Posts: 42
    Good luck to you -- let us SoCals know how it went. I have a few appointments lined up this week. The abyss blue seems brighter on the website ( I saw it on the road yesterday and it seemed darker.) Also, the anthracite is more like a a type of grey?

Will be pricing TL w/ Navi and will let the board know what I find out.
    craig will do- I'm hearing prices between 30,500 and 31,300 in Socal on the non-navi now. Ready to rock this weekend or next at worst ideally. Will elt you all know when I'm in the driver's seat.
  • gregory28gregory28 Member Posts: 174
    42 month lease has been the best deal, unless something has changed recently. $15 per mile on the over- Lexus & BMW are $.20 on the over. 57% residual on the 42 month lease.
  • fredvhfredvh Member Posts: 857
    Has anyone seen what the price would be on a new 2003 TL( non-Type S and non-nav)?
    yes have heard about the 42 month deal and residual at around 57%, but never liked paying for registration for 1/2 the year and letting someone else get it for the other last half year...funny I'm getting half the dealer quotes at 900-1100 over invoice and the other half not willing to go below 1k off msrp- we'll see who's being truthful later this week- will keep you all posted
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Folks, as explained in the header of this discussion, exchange of contact information for sales purposes is not allowed.

Thanks for your understanding.
  • prophet2prophet2 Member Posts: 372
    Only one dealer in the state, so the TLs command a premium price. Dealer lists MSRP + $3995 ADM as the "retail value," so you have to get the ADM reduced. They have virtually no competition as the other makes are priced in the $40K+ range and there's one Infiniti dealer (G35, anyone?).

I test-drove the BMW 525 yesterday and found their I-something-or-other system a nuisance. IMHO, it's technological overkill. Couldn't change the radio band from FM to AM as there's no FM/AM button. The AC settings likewise couldn't be changed to my satisfaction without going through the system. I can't imagine what it's like in the "7-series" as their system is supposedly 10X more complicated.

This car is for my sister and that I-system was a deal-killer. Plus the anemic 184 HP which is less than the 210 in her Avalon. The premium (leather, etc.), sport package, AT, and zenon are optional and boosted the $39.9 MSRP to almost $48K!

My sis told me that the TL was "almost too easy to drive." They already have an MDX. She paid MSRP + a discounted "pro pack" + TTL. Dealer will also net some bucks for the Avalon she traded in. We're in business and don't object to the dealer making money as long as we're happy with the price. 270 HP plus all the good stuff as standard equipment (AT, leather, Zenon, DVD-audio surround sound, moonroof, etc.) for $10K+ less than the Bimmer is a no-brainer. And she got the exterior-interior color combination she wanted.

She lives in the hills and the 86 HP advantage is no small consideration.

Buying from California, Washington, etc. is no advantage as our "sales tax" is only 4.17%. To buy in Oregon won't work as Hawaii will impose the tax when the car is landed unless it can be proven to be a "used car." Won't happen unless the odometer mileage is substantial. Plus the freight costs.
    Well after much help here and shopping around amongst the many dealers in the SoCal area I got my abyss blue w/camel non-nav TL today and a great deal- plus probably the smoothest easiest car transaction I've ever experienced and I've done Lexus, Audi, Volvo before...
    $31045 total including destination and pro-package stuff that comes on the car anyway- leased for 48 months, 12k miles a year, 53% residual, .00215 m/f or 5.16% interest makes my payment with our tax here 416.50 per month. I got mine at Santa Monica although Downey was also very aggressive.
  • jctljctl Member Posts: 1
    WoW a64marc sounds like you got a great deal along with a great experience. CONGRATS 2 YOU !!
    What are folks around the US paying for TL w/NAV? Just curious....actually, i'm wondering if I overpaid....
    Helped my sister get her '04 TL last night!

My car is a '96 RL and my plan is to wait for the LONG overdue revision for the '05 RL - I've been told by the GSM that it may come out in August '04 and they want me to be the first sale of that car. "Special" price *wink* *wink* for me as I've owned numerous Acuras since their debut in 1986 and have always had at least one in my garage.

But, I'm now "jealous" of my sister and her TL. The question is how long my resolve can hold out. I may well weaken and go for the TL, but not for a few months until supply catches up with demand. It happened when the '91 Legend came out. In November '90, the dealer held for a $4K front-end gross profit (14%). By the time I bought an LS three months later, they offered me a 6% deal.

Last August, they were selling the RSX as fast as they unloaded it off the boat at MSRP + ADM. In January, the price was down $2.5K as they did have them in stock.

I may "settle" for the TL, but keep the '96 RL on the side - got another kid eligible for a driver's license and I'll need the spare wheels.

My sister called me again to tell me how happy they are with the TL.
  • billyperksbillyperks Member Posts: 449
    How much was your out of pocket?
    My best price in Chicago so far is $34,200 for '04 TL auto w/Nav, including trunk tray, mud guards, wheel locks, and winter floor mats. According to my pricing, that's about $1300 below MSRP...and $1700 over invoice. Most other dealers in Chicago are offering b/w $0 and $500 off MSRP.
    my out of pockets was 1217.56- first month's payment, 550 honda finance fee, 246 registr. in CA and 5 dollar tire fee. The docu fee because of this dealer's computer system had to go in my cap cost in stead of drive off as I would have preferred- so 45 added to the 31000- and for that made them give me some perks like an oil change. No security depo.
  • billyperksbillyperks Member Posts: 449
    good job.

When you mentioned your paymnets, I figured you had to have laid out a ton of dough to get it that low.

As a matter of fact- I think your payment is the lowest I have seen so far in terms of leasing a 2004.
  • mobofemobofe Member Posts: 51
    will the RL be a major revision? When i was testdriving the TL, i popped into one of them RLs. I was in and out in 5 seconds flat - it was one of the worst looking interiors i've ever seen. couldn't believe my eyes that their flagship would be a few notches down from the TL. With all the alternatives out there, can't imagine someone putting money down for any '04.
  • king_georgeking_george Member Posts: 33
    I've recently put a down on a 2004 TL Anthracite/Ebony/5at/Navi. I agreed to $1,000.00 off msrp and $2,100.00 for the following accessories (full aero-kit,deck lid spoiler, & body side molding). And we agreed to 3.9% financing.
    I know this isn't a bad deal but would it be considered a good deal in Los Angeles. I understand that the combo i'm looking for in the TL is one of the hardest to get so i think that factors into the kinda deal i got.
    Can't blame you for putting in only five seconds with the '04 RL. It's had only minor revisions since it replaced the Legend in 1996: a modest increase in HP (210 to 225), traction control (my '96 RL doesn't have it, my '01 Honda Odyssey does), CD changer moved from trunk to dash (long overdue), change in alloy wheels. The exterior is outdated and basically unchanged for the past nine model years, interior is undistinguished and outclassed by the TL. Then, there are the power-train considerations.

I enjoy the smooth ride, interior room, and larger trunk capacity of the RL (after all, it is 11" longer) and it has served me well, in particular since I bought it pre-owned for only $20K. But, the TL is nicely packaged with a lot more power and other niceties. Other than size, the TL fits the bill more as Acura's flagship.

I may not wait for the '05 RL and its rumored hybrid 300 HP V-6 + 100 HP electric motor with AWD. The sketches are also intriguing, but a $50K sticker price, though acceptable, will be $17K more than the TL.
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    The new RL should be a technological Tour de Force. It has to be, for Acura to retain any credibility as a luxury marque. Acura will be the laughing stock of the auto industry if it turns out another merely highly competent FWD V6 sedan after a 9-year wait.
    I paid $33,695 for my TL Anthricite/Ebony/NAVI and got 3 accessories at his price (but he threw in installation). I would say I did well....
  • marquis2marquis2 Member Posts: 25
    What's the full-aero kit? Is that the set of underside spoilers? If so, 2100 for all that is a probably a pretty good deal.
  • mdahlstrommdahlstrom Member Posts: 1
    I've finally decided to buy the new TL - I've visited all three Acura dealers in my local area and each have exactly the same price - and say they don't negotiate- could that be true? Is so, how do I do it?

Anyone?
  • kevdkevd Member Posts: 19
    Where are you located? I've also decided on the TL, I've found 2 dealers willing to work with me. I know what I want to pay and will wait until I get there. I don't need the car desperately and can be patient. Also, if you show that your committed to the purchase and cars are on the lot, you will be able to get a discount. Right now I think these dealers are trying to leave the impression that cars are scarce which is not the case everywhere and will definitely not be the case, IMHO, in the very near future.
  • eglewiseglewis Member Posts: 23
    I've recently purchased a 2004 TL/with nav. AT, green exterior with the parchment interior.

$33,200. - includes destination charge,wood knob,
              splash guards,all-season floor mats,
              trunk tray, and 1 extra key
       $199. - conveyance fee

plus tax and title.

Unfortunately, I had to order the car, and do not expect delivery until Feb. 04.
  • mobofemobofe Member Posts: 51
    Edmunds' TMV not a good gauge for this car. Now, if you're in potato country with 1 dealer in the entire state, this might be the case but as many readers have pointed out, the TL without navi can be had for prices within 1K of invoice.

A no hassle quote from carsdirect.com gave me the 1st indication that the car can be bought for way less than msrp ($31,668 was the quote). Long story short, I ended up doing business with a dealership in another state (90 miles away) for $31,100 with protection package. I still think i gave the dealer a nice christmas bonus, so don't be afraid to go low, below $31000. remember, honda gives a 3% holdback to the dealer which is a very significant amount.
  • hatteras1hatteras1 Member Posts: 8
    I'm looking to lease, 42 mo. 12,000 in NoVa. I see Pohanka has 45 in inventory....so does Radley....I believe I can 399/mo w/less than $1500 bucks down taxes tags,etc....any comments or experences out there, would love to here from you....Oh by the way this is w/o nav
  • 95gt95gt Member Posts: 69
    Bought my CL from Pohanka and really had a good experience. Was given the run around by Radley. Pohanka service has been very good as well.
  • kevdkevd Member Posts: 19
    If you don't mind, which dealership in CT? I'm not far away and that deal you got is the one I'm looking for. How is their inventory?
    Thanks
  • eglewiseglewis Member Posts: 23
    The dealship is Morande in Berlin, CT. They were ok to work with; didn't play games. Like most dealers, their inventory of TL's with nav is limited, they only had 1.
    I probably could have gotten a better
    deal, so you may want to even go lower.
    The invoice is $31,758 (without destination charge) and their's a holdback of $1,046.
    So, they are still doing ok.
    Good luck. Let us know how you do.
    Edward-

Sounds like you got a great deal. Best offer I have in Chicago (so far) is around $34K (including destination charge), which comes with mud guards, trunk tray, wheel locks, and winter floor mats. Your deal sounds like it's about $1K over invoice...mine is around $1600. Has anyone seen better for nav yet?
    Just pulled the trigger here in MA on an 04 Anthracite/Ebony w/Nav. After much haggling yesterday, I got $1200 off MSRP, accessories at cost and decent value on my tradein (94 Grand Cherokee)

$33995 for TL, plus trunk tray and floor mats
    $ 2124 accessories (underside spoilers, deck spoiler, body side molding, moonroof visor)
    $ 2250 trade

Total damage came to $33869.

They still have to locate the car, but I should be hearing about it in a day or two.

How'd I do?

Marquis
  • cadub49ercadub49er Member Posts: 42
    Picked up a silver/ebony non-Navi today at Tustin Acura. Got them to match a competing offer with two other dealerships....negotiated a $30,950 price incl. destination and protection package. With 7.75% tax, fees it came out to $33,550. Had 4.25% Capital One financing and they gave me a 3.9% thru Honda (they all of a sudden had a deal that came out last night, yeah, right!)

Think I did okay? feel free to e-mail me if you want any specifics
    Actually that is true about the financing. Acura has a 3.9/60 month special finance rate in effect from 12/19 through 1/05.
    Ditto! We were told on Tuesday, 12/16, that the 3.9% would be available on Friday, 12/19.