Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford F-150 SUPERCREW

Comments

• psktruckerpsktrucker Member Posts: 18
    On my truck to the left of the off position I have "panel" then "a/c" then max a/c". To the right of the off position I have "panel/floor" then "floor" then "floor & defrost" then "defrost". So I do have just a vent setting which is labeled "panel". I can't imagine why they would eliminate that setting.

Otherwise all else is great except the visits to the gas station. 1.65 for regular here. Put 38.00 bucks in today...wew
  • bowhuntwibowhuntwi Member Posts: 262
    Wisconsin is up to $1.89 a gal for Regular
  • kmulhauserkmulhauser Member Posts: 3
    In NE Ohio we are seeing it jump all over the place. Yesterday a station I use had reg for 1.64 and this morning it is 1.81

Why are there so many posts that ask the question of getting a good deal after they have signed the papers? are there ways of getting better financing after the deal is closed?

I leased mine last year and felt I got a fair deal. are there ways to get a better deal at this point in time?
  • rkhatlrkhatl Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking to purchase a 2001 F-150 Screw XLT 2wd SB with options: 5.4L 8Cyl., cab steps, and sliding back window. Any advice on starting price for negotiating or anything else? Thanks.
  • 19491949 Member Posts: 59
    I'm in San Antonio.....anyone here from Texas that'll share what price you paid for your Lariat or XLT SCrew? Anyone lucky enough to find one with a sunroof? During my test-drive, salesperson told me it would take 4 wks if vehichle ordered from factory. Thanks...
    ............GO SPURS GO!!!....................
  • fp200fp200 Member Posts: 4
    Is anything higher than 87 octane required for the 4.6 or 5.4L engine?

Thanks,
    Mark
  • dull1dull1 Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know if the current F150 Super crews being made with the 4.6L V8 are E85 fuel capable? I have seen a lot in the media regarding Rangers and other Flexible Fuel Vehicles but the F150 does not seem to be included although the information is usually 6 months old.

Thanks,
    Pete
  • emaleemale Member Posts: 1,380
    mark,

don't know for sure about the 4.6l engine, but the owner's manual for my 01' 5.4l supercrew says to only use 87 octane. using a more expensive fuel (ie...premium) is a waste of money...
  • kbehnkekbehnke Member Posts: 60
    I'm sure this has been talked about before, but I'd like to hear what people are getting for mileage with the 4.6 and 5.4 engines. Also, is there a noticeable difference in power and/or acceleration between the two?

Thanks.
  • nautilust1nautilust1 Member Posts: 2
    While scrolling up, I read many of my same concerns as I too am in the market for the SuperCrew Lariat 4X4. This is what I have found: For pricing: www.AutoWorld.com is a good place to look along with THIS SITE Edmunds.com. I like AutoWorld.com cause its quick and complete for both the invoice and MSRP. I really like the New Car buyer's "ADVICE" section on Edmunds.com (Be sure to read the series on the guy that went underground as a salesman) I too am torn between better gas mileage f a 4.6 VS the power of the 5.4. Well here is one BIG difference to consider: I am planning on towing a 25 ft boat occasionally in FL. I want the Tow package. I know that the tow package come with transmission cooling and requires the 5.4. IT also provides you a bigger battery and better electrical system. Also about $70 credit towards the other battery when you order the tow package. I think Ill get the features I want (including the moon roof) for about 30K) If you have recently bought one I'd love to know what your bottom line was less the tag and tax. www.BeachBoy1@aol.com Regards REID PS....is there really a difference in the two engines? You people that have e'm, let us know what you think? Thanks again
  • truckdudetruckdude Member Posts: 55
    If you drive both the 4.6 and 5.4 I'm sure you will agree with me: the 5.4 is MUCH more powerful, and would definitely be appreciated if you tow something as the torque advantage is pretty significant. Also, from my experience, the 4.6 MAY get 1-2 mpg better in normal driving, and even worse when towing. However, if you feel the 4.6 is underpowered and are into the pedal quite a bit, your mileage will be the same or less than the 5.4.
  • cygnusx1cygnusx1 Member Posts: 290
    Straight from today's Washington Post:
    The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has decided to proceed with an investigation of more than 800,000 Ford trucks after dozens of owners said they lost steering control. At least 50 owners of 1999 and 2000 Super Duty F-Series pickups have complained about a fracture in the steering gear sector shaft, which makes the front wheels turn when the driver moves the steering wheel. At least 41 crashes and 13 injuries have been reported to Ford and NHTSA.

yikes!
  • rkonealrkoneal Member Posts: 1
    I saw a post asking about extended warranties from warrantydirect.com. I have a King Ranch Supercrew on order which should be in ready in a month or so. Is it worth the money to purchase an extended warranty? And if so, is it better to purchase it through the Ford dealer, or some other place such as warrantydirect.com?

Also, how long did it take Ford to switch out the radiator bwexler1 since Ford installed the small radiator with the trailer towing package?

Also, does anyone know about the HomeLink/TravelNotes system that is available for the Supercrews? I know that it is located in the sun visor on the driver's side and that it can be programmed to open garage doors and do various other things, but does it come standard for King Ranch Supercrews? I tried to get this item on my King Ranch when I ordered it, but the salesman said it did not show up on their computer as an option yet. When I talked with him a few days ago, he said that he had done some checking and several of the new King Ranch Supercrews that had just arrived had this HomeLink option already installed.

Anyone have any experience with the back sliding window being upgraded to a power sliding window? Just wondering if it was worth the money. Some of the documentation says that they install the 'switch' somewhere on the dash. Any idea where on the dash?
  • midnight_stangmidnight_stang Member Posts: 862
    1999-2000 Ford Super Duty F-Series sold 500,000 per year, reaching 1,000,000 sold by September 2000.

50 owners complained. making that 0.005 percent of the 1999-2000 trucks. (that's 5 thousands of one percent of vehicles sold)

41 crashes REPORTED(No evidence this steering wheel fracture was the cause found) and that is 4.1 thousandths of one percent of vehicles sold)

So don't get alarmed by this scare tactic post. I'm not discounting any possible issues with the steering gear shaft, just stating the actual percent of vehicles.

But here's a possiblity, a front end collision could provide enough stress to front end parts. And I we all know the steering wheel, and any shafts and gears in between is connected to the front wheels. So maybe this is an effect, not the cause?
    rkoneal,

according to the ford website, homelink is indeed standard on the king ranch edition s-crew.
  • gono2gono2 Member Posts: 2
    Just purchased a new 2001 SuperCrew 4x4 Lariet and am looking for a heavy rubber bed mat and a deep tool box. Toolbox will have to have two steps in it to get by the fender wells. Anyone had any luck finding accessories for the SuperCrew bed???
  • milt721milt721 Member Posts: 83
    to anyone considering the purchase of a Ford P/U: Be sure to test drive the competition first, you'll be thankful you did. Just drove the Ram, Tundra, SuperCrew and a new P/U not yet released to the public and the Ford has real trouble staying on bumpy roads (with a real harsh ride to boot), while the others simply glided over road imperfections. On the sine waves, the Ford literally bounced off the pavement (huge dashboard vibrations, too) while the others barely noticed. I won't tell you which one I thought was the best, I'll just say that the Ford is the only one that quickly dropped off the recommend list. I can't understand how they sell so many of these things considering how they drive. (Same thing goes for Explorers.)
    a new pickup not released to the public yet. hummm??? and you won't tell us which one was the best on said road?? double hummmm...

my s-crew is very buttoned down and drives like a dream. absolutely no problem here!

milt, unless you can provide more info, your post is useless and utterly unbelievable!
    Did you compare the F-150 back-to-back with the competition? The Tundra had the smoothest (and quickest) powertrain and the best ride but it can't tow or haul worth a squat... I can't provide details about the best performer there, however 'cause it's still hush-hush. I must admit, there was no Silverado there for comparison, and that's supposed to be the benchmark. Kinda makes me wonder why it was obviously missing.
    gee, i thought most kids were still in school. is it summer vacation already?

milt, fyi...my 01 supercrew rides and drives much better than my 97 ram did. i could care less about the tundra (too small and too pricey) or the chevy (too many interior squeaks and rattles).
    Wouldn't by any chance be a Nissan that you are trying to keep from us? Their full-size pickup is due out soon.
    ...whether you choose to accept it is up to you.

kbehnke: No, it's not a Nissan.
    You've got my curiousity peaked. So when does John Q. Public get to find out about this new truck? And how were you lucky enough to drive it?
    ...it's the new Dodge Ram. As for when the public gets to try them out... I have no idea. You know how these things are, with the unanticipated delays and all.
    milt,

if all this runaround is about the 02' ram, how bout' you post your "top secret" observations in the 02' ram topic instead of here?
    ...you'll see that I just wanted to warn people that the F-150 was the only truck there that I would NOT recommend to anyone. Later on, I said the Toyota (not the Ram) was the best performer (as long as you don't tow or haul much). I posted here 'cause people looking to buy a Ford would not be looking in a Ram (or Toyota) message board for Ford opinions.
  • fredvon4fredvon4 Member Posts: 18
    Milt you sound like a Ford basher to me. If Cadillac ride is your standard to spend $25K to $35K then so be it. Other folks check out resale, towing capability,reliability,economy,suitability for expected use, consumer reports, and an other dozen or so considerations not the least being Brand loyalty and looks. In some way or another all the current offerings will appeal to somebody. The ongoing discussion here is the Ford F-150. Good, bad, or indeferent, your constructive criticism is welcome only to a point. If you your intent is to deride Ford owners as somehow stupid because we have a different standard than you, then I respectfully suggest you go find a Dodge discussion and tell them about all the foolish Ford owners you met here. BTW my 2001 4X4 extra long Ford truck with about 1900lbs of load in the bed, flys up and down hills and dirt (coleachi) oil field roads at 45-65 mph and handles exactly as it is supposed to. And the Lariat trim provides some, no a lot, of comfort while I am out in the middle of nowhere.
  • vtsupcrewvtsupcrew Member Posts: 2
    Picked up my Super crew a couple days ago. 4x2, 5.4L, Lariat loaded. Absolutely love it. Previously owned 95 and 99 Super cabs. Both were great trucks. This one is a definite step up. Had front windows tinted and bed liner (drop in) installed today. Was debating on upgrading the key less entry to a Ford alarm system ($325). Looking for some advice as to whether or not to purchase an alarm. If I do, is there a better alternative to the Ford system for a comparable price? Would having a on Ford dealer installed system affect the warranty? I live in the Dallas area where theft is unfortunately a concern.
  • alexrod1alexrod1 Member Posts: 7
    Maybe you test drove a badly "loose" Screw? Had mine (2001 Screw 4x4 Lariat)for almost 3 months and it drives smooth and in control over badly paved roads. Even crossing railroad tracks are surprisingly smooth! BTW, I used to have a '99 Scab Lariat 4x2, and it did not ride as good as my Screw.
    it was the opposite problem. The suspension seemed too tight, so much that it was bouncing off the road instead of gliding over it. Maybe it was due to the off-road suspension. But the other trucks had off-road suspensions too and were not so unsettled on rough pavement.

fredvon4: Weight in the bed improves the ride. I never called anyone stupid or even suggested it. I only said that the Ford was the only truck there I would not recommend. If that makes me a Ford basher, so be it. I really didn't think anyone was going to listen to me anyway. BTW-I have hated Toyotas all my life, imagine how disappointing it was for to me to discover that it was the best all-around vehicle there.

My point is anyone considering a new Ford S-Crew should test drive the competition first. Nothing more, nothing less. Draw your own conclusions after the test drives.
    milte,

there is no competition for the s-crew. it is a one of kind until the 02' quad cab dodge comes out early this fall. there are other "true" crew cab trucks out there, but they are heavy duty versions and shouldn't be compared with the 1/2 ton supercrew.
  • fredvon4fredvon4 Member Posts: 18
    MIlt

"I'll just say that the Ford is the only one that quickly dropped off the recommend list."
    " I can't understand how they sell so many of these things considering how they drive. (Same thing goes for Explorers.) "

There are some folks here that are indeed looking for advice on new or usedFord purchase. However the ongoing discussions clearly indicate a group on current Ford owners. Having used all the previously mentioned criteria to purchase the truckes we own, I think it would be pretty obvious that you "help" is dirrected at the wrong group. What would you have us do, go immediatly down to Ford and demand our money back? I would admit that your sage advice to drive the competition first is sound. And I again state that if your in the market for a gas guzzling Caddy comfort ride with no load, buy buy a soft cushy chev, dodge, whatever. Superduty Ford trucks are designed to haul and carry loads. Unladen they will beat you to death on bad roads.
  • sdeleonsdeleon Member Posts: 4
    Read comment 638 about a great rubber bedliner. About my SuperCrew - so far so good at 3500 miles.
  • volhatervolhater Member Posts: 3
    I have a screw lariat 4x4 with the 5.4l. Will my gas mileage be effected drastically if I drive with the overdrive off. 90% of my driving is in the city, I do not haul or tow anything. I like the extra get up and go with the overdrive off but do not wan to lower my gas mileage below 13mpg. I would also like to know if the extended warranty is worth it. I have always owned Honda till now and never worried about reliability. Does anybody know what size speakers are in the front and back. I would like to upgraded the system. Does this truck have a tendency to pull to the left?
  • rgibbs2rgibbs2 Member Posts: 2
    Just picked up my new Estate Green w/Arizona Beige two-tone S-Crew KRE with 5.4L a couple of days ago. Beautiful truck and great ride. I'm so glad I held out for this one. Anyone contemplating about the performance of the 4.6L or going with the 5.4L should really look hard at the 5.4L. You're only sacrificing a couple of MPG's and the performance is worth it.

See ya, Bob
  • lullman1lullman1 Member Posts: 15
    Bob, Although we have not met we have one thing in common, we have geat tastes in vehicles. I took delivery of my Estate Green KRE March 8 and I'm about to turn 7000 miles already. Absolutley no problems so far. Love this ride! Got the 5.4, moonroof, towing, skid plates, limited slip, cargo cage, Bedrug.
    You guys seem very happy with your new SCrews. I'm currently on the fence...I love the Tundra Limited, but Toyota doesn't give you the flexibility to custom order your truck..the distributor pushes option pkgs off on you. I test-drove a SCrew 4x2 Lariat(5.4/Limited Slip) since I had read a review of F150's being the Honda Accord of pickups. Man..I really fell in love with the SCrews performance, handling, interior appearance and overall fit and finish. I'm a current Honda Prelude owner and have been spoiled by Honda quality/reliability. Now, questions...
    Real-World performance? Any engine/drivetrain quirks? Electrical? Sunroof tight? Body Integrity (squeaks/rattles)?
    Local Ford dealers (San Antonio, Tx) have plenty of XLT SCrews and a few 4x4's. One dealer lists internet prices which are averaging about $400 above invoice on the SCrews.
    Volhater...go to www.carbuyingtips.com and read the section on extended warranties. Excellent site for research.
  • rgibbs2rgibbs2 Member Posts: 2
    Although I had a customed Chevy Silverado for over seven years that treated me well I decided to purchase an F150. After evaluating the positives and negatives it just made sense for the quality and price,the other manufacturers can't touch Ford. Before I bought my S-Crew KRE I drove a 2000 F150 Super Cab. It was also a nice ride, but what I really wanted was a full four door truck. Three months after I purchased the Super Cab,Ford came out with the S-Crew. I was not too pleased with the salesman that sold me the Super Cab to say the least. Anyway, I haven't had my truck long enough to give you any insight about problem areas, but I wouldn't expect a dealership to come off the MSRP too much for a Lariat. I can only speak for the KRE though and Edmunds.com was pretty much on the mark for the True Market Value (TMV). A special edition truck like this will retain some or most of its value longer than other models. All I can say is I love it. Good luck!
  • lullman1lullman1 Member Posts: 15
    I bought my KRE for invoice. No problems with the dealer offering it to me at invoice. I ordered it the way I wanted it and the dealer quoted me invoice price from the start. Some have posted below invoice pricing using different plans but I don't work for Ford or any of thier venders. If your in New England go to Portsmouth Ford. This is the second vehicle I've bought there and they beat everyones price, which is all that matters to me since I have a mechanic I trust to work on it. Never pay over invoice! There are lots of dealers out there and the ones that sell lots of vehicles are the ones that survive.
  • tigerstutigerstu Member Posts: 4
    Ready to buy Supercrew. Any reason to wait for 2002? Any word on release date for 2002?

Are there any significant differences between a fully loaded XLT and a loaded Lariat? Seem to only be cosmetic differences.

I anticipate getting the vehicle at invoice with 2.9% financing for 3 years. Any better deals out there that you have heard of?

Do I have a stronger negotiation position if I order what I want from the dealer or "settle" for a Supercrew on the lot that might not be the color, or have all the options I want? I don't trust dealer to cut sunroof in for me. any thoughts?

Seems like the best time to purchase is right now. $500 rebate, 2.9% financing, get the vehicle at invoice, and I've accrued $2700 in rebates on Citibank/Ford credit card, and end of the month. Could the deals get any sweeter than right now?

Any comments would be much appreciated.
    Tigerstu...you mention in your post that you don't trust the dealer to cut the sunroof. Be real careful if you go that route. While on a test-drive, I mentioned to the salesperson that if I bought a SCrew, I'd want a sunroof included. He said "No Problem", we can install it here. I asked.."I hope you don't contract out to some vendor that'll install some cheesy sunroof"..he says.."No, actually it's better than factory". I returned and checked out a dealer-installed sunroof. It was about 3-4" smaller all the way around vs the large factory installed sunroof, which I've also seen on a SCrew. A word to the wise...be cautious if you let them install.
  • cdvarelacdvarela Member Posts: 3
    Does anyone know of any changes for the 2002 model year. Dealers seem to be clueless.
    from what i've seen on the internet, changes will be relatively minor. something about a different steering gear being used that will provide better steering feel. otherwise, don't know of any other changes.
  • cdvarelacdvarela Member Posts: 3
    emale - What site did you get your info from? Thanks
    depends...i get info from many sources. i think it was in car and driver that i read about the steering gear change. there was an article about the lincoln blackwood (s-crew knockoff) and they mentioned that the blackwood had a different steering gear that would be migrated to the other ford full size pickups. now...that may only apply to just the 2wd models since the blackwood only comes as 2wd.
  • atlanta4atlanta4 Member Posts: 51
    Anyone out there have experience towing a travel trailer with a 4X4 -vs- 4X2 F150 pickup? I plan to buy a new Supercrew and am torn between ordering a new Lariat 5.4L 4X2 -vs- a 4X4 already on the dealer lot. I have a 26' travel trailer that I will occasionally tow with the new truck. I know that the factory specs the 4X4 at 300 lbs less towing capacity than the 4X2 and the obvious 1-2 mpg less mileage with the 4X4 but am curious for opinions from someone with real world experience. I know I'll need the 3.55 limited slip & towing pkg either way but wonder if the 3" higher suspension on the 4X4 is a big negative for this (limited) application. Will mostly be using it for hauling family. Thanks for any input.
  • dhendriedhendrie Member Posts: 2
    I just purchased a 5.4 SuperCrew 4x4 with the lariat trim package. The truck has the bench seat (electric driver's side), Off-Road package, and all of the regular lariat stuff. It is what I need and more...

I bought this truck as a loss-leader for $2000 below invoice. This was after the $500 rebate. Keep in mind that you either get 2.9APR or the rebate, not both.

Love the truck.
    There has been some mention of minor changes for 2002. Does anyone know when the next full re-design is planned? It seems like it's been a few years since any major changes so I would think something new would in the near future.

Any thoughts?
  • tkenny53tkenny53 Member Posts: 41
    I see the f150 screw with the 5.4 come with the 3.55 gear set, what is the stock set ratio. Also can a high gear set be gotton?
    i think the 3.55 gears are the only ones available on the s-crew.
This discussion has been closed.