Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford F-150 SUPERCREW

Comments

• bighorn44bighorn44 Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2001 Screw Lariat 4x4. It has the 17" chrome wheels. The tires are Goodyear Wrangler RTS size P265 R70 17. (It always irritates me when they put on P-passenger tires rather LT - light truck tires on a truck but that's another story. The passenger tires give a smoother ride which sells more trucks...lame) These tires are about 32" tall and not particularly wide but this is the top of the heap for the limited number of 17" tires. Had I ordered it I probably would have opted for the 16" alloy wheels so that I could have put on light truck tires size LT285 R7516 which are considerably taller (about 2") and wider. I'd like to try some BF Goodrich AT's in that size and I am wondering if anyone has installed these on the factory 16" alloys. I am told by my tire shop that this is not a problem but, I thought I should check. It's probably a little tight in front. Finding a set of the factory 16 alloys shouldn't be that big of a problem. In order to buy nice after-market wheels and 285 tires it runs about $1500. Anybody out there swapped out tires and wheels yet? As a side note I did not have any trouble getting a beautiful matching SnugTop canopy and I sure like the Line-X spray liner. That's all I've had in the last three trucks. You couldn't pay me to plunk one of those cheesy drop-in liners in this nice truck. Wait until they shift around just enough over time to rub the paint off on spots in the bed that rust like hell. Line-X vs. a drop-in isn't even a discussion and I've had the best drop-ins made by Pendaliner.
  • 19491949 Member Posts: 59
    bighorn.....I'm pretty close to making a decision between a Tundra Limited or SCrew Lariat 2wd and would like to ask you about your comments re: tires and bedliner.
    >These tires are about 32" tall and not particularly wide but this is the top of the heap for the limited number of 17" tires. Had I ordered it I probably would have opted for the 16" alloy wheels so that I could have put on light truck tires size LT285 R7516 which are considerably taller (about 2") and wider.
    Does this comment mean taller/fatter tires aren't available for this rim in 17"??
    The bedliner....I'm glad you point out the weaknesses of a drop-in bedliner vs a spray-on. Is there any particular brand of spray-on that resists weather/scratching/peeling better than most? How long does this last for very light duty?
    What's the average cost? Thanks.
  • howie99mnhowie99mn Member Posts: 20
    In the market for a pickup F-150 but saw Dateline today and when they IHS did an offset test the safety cage collapsed resulting in Driver Fatality at only 40 mph.

However, Ford claims to be working on a fix. Perhaps 2002 model year will do much better based on Ford's success in crash testing other vehicles.
    Yeah, I saw that on Dateline too. Did Ford say they were working on a fix during the Dateline report? I don't recall that part.
    I realize this was an "offset" test, but if you go to NHTSA website, you'll see that Ford rec'd a 5 star rating and the Tundra which rated best on the same test, only received a 3 star rating in the govt test.
  • dsemmendsemmen Member Posts: 12
    Hi, I like the Screw, but when I test drove one, I also had the salesperson drive, so I could sit in the back seat to see how it rides in back. The back seats to be to straight, stiff, upright. Then, I read edmunds review, and they too mentioned the stiff, straight back seats. So, how do you screw owners feel about the back seats? How are they for short rides, long rides, etc? I would appreciate any input. I guess what I am looking for is a truck that can also double as a sedan. Hmmm. Thanks for any input.
  • mainer2001mainer2001 Member Posts: 2
    According to www.nhtsa.dot.gov website 2000 Ford F-150 4-DR. Cab, got a Frontal 4 STAR rating. The 5 Star rating is for Side crashes.. NOT front crashes. Note the IIHS used a 2001 Ford F-150 4-DR Truck.

Also the government has a note for 2001 Ford F-150 4-DR. Cab Frontal Tests, that its yet to be tested. With the Toyota Tundra. According to NHTSA the 2000 Toyota Tundra, got a 4/3 rating. 4 Stars front driver, and 3 stars for the Passenger's, and in 2001 the Toyota Tundra got a 3/3 frontal rating. Maybe the 2001 F-150 is not as good as the 2000? Werid. You would not think so but... Funny the Chevrolet Silverado Extended Cab 3/4 star front raiting, and did better in the IIHS tests.. But anyways..

The 2000 Ford F-150 4-DR cab ...

4 Star for Front Crash, 5 for Side Crash, in Government Tests,

The 2001 Ford F-150 4-DR cab. got a

Poor in IIHS Side impact test. Also to note that the Bumper test by IIHS gives the F-150 a Poor.

The IIHS has not tested the 4-DR cab for 2001 yet, but they plan to according to their site.

Tired and mixed up yet?? :)

But anyway, Its Clear this is a disappointment to ford, lovers and owners of the F-150. But really there is no question that this truck should have and could have done better. After all its 2001 and Ford has been around for a very long time and should have this crash thing down by now. Really something this big should do better than that. And really there is no question why this truck cannot do well in all types of crashes. After all allot of people buy these trucks because they feel safe, but apparently it's not true in some cases. I know of an accident where a person was killed in a 2000 f-150, I have posted the story in another news group. Lets hope ford fixes the problem fast.

by the way here are the web addresses to the gov. sites.

2001 Ford F-150 4-DR. Cab

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/ncap/cars/1686.html

2000 Ford F-150 Extended Cab

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/ncap/cars/1460.html

IIHS Test on the 2001 F-150

http://www.hwysafety.org/vehicle_ratings/ce/html/0110.htm

• emaleemale Member Posts: 1,380
    it is kinda surprising that the f150 didn't do so well in the offset crash test, especially given the fact that almost all other ford vehicles do very well on the same test. still, i'd much rather be in an f150 in a "real world" crash vs something smaller than me!
    mainer2001 has an excellent and detailed post, however, there are just too many variables in a collision....physics, you know, does weird and unpredictable things. You say you'd still rather be in a full-size p/u (in this case, an F150) and yes, that does make sense. I don't believe that one brand of truck is safer than another just because brand A performed better in one specific test. Even Toyota, in its response to this test, cautions people not to OVERSIMPLIFY test results.
    Anyway, once all of this blows over in a week or two, everyone will be back to their favorite vehicles talking about performance and durability!!
  • luckyjackluckyjack Member Posts: 6
    After much research (including much valuable info from this board) and several test drives, placed order for my Screw last night:

4x4, 5.4L, tow pack, limited slip, skid plates and trailer tow group in Toreador Red.

I had been considering Dakota and Tundra, but by chance found out just a few days ago that I can purchase with Ford -plan. So, although I still spent more than I would have on the others, I couldn't pass up several hundred dollars below dealer cost... plus got the 2.9% interest rate. The F-150 was my first choice anyway when I started researching what to get when my 6 years in a Camry come to an end in July. (I think the V6 Camry is a great car by the way.) The -plan option just made it an offer I couldn't refuse!

Cost of vehicle as above: $28,425.28. To that add state tax and $150 registration/title fee. But dealer waives usual document fees of $167.50 on -plan.

One comment for potential buyers. When I went to the dealer with my list of desired options, I had expected to opt for the captains chairs. Turned out, they didn't have any in stock with that option, so I drove the "bench" seat. When I realized that the bench was more like two bucket seats and that the center section folded down to make a perfect height armrest and a good size center console...plus still the option of lifting that console for room for 3 in front... couldn't think of a good reason to pay over $400 for captains chairs. I'm sure those who have em love em, but I think the bench is the best of both worlds. Hope this helps those of you still looking.

Now I just have to hold on 'til delivery day!
  • atlanta4atlanta4 Member Posts: 51
    Luckyjack -
    Was that a Lariat or XLT for 28400? Sounds like a nice truck & I agree on the bench seat being the best of both worlds. I'm on the verge of passing on my order for a white Lariat 4x2 in favor of a red Lariat 4x4 already on my dealer lot but the dealer invoice (and Edmunds)says $31200 (w/5.4, towing, off road pkg,leather bench). I can get 2.9% & $1000 rebate but dealer wont budge on the invoice. I sure would like the 4x4 though!
    LuckyJack....you did great on the SCrew pricing. Yes!! I absolutely love that unique bench/bucket seat. The center fold-down is perfect. So much so, I'm surprised the buckets aren't std and the bench an option....looks great in leather, too. BTW, are you a Ford employee? What's with the -plan financing? I'm assuming yours is an XLT since you can't get that color w/Lariat, only the bright red. I'm selling my '98 Prelude (Also a great car) this month and will buy either a SCrew or Tundra Limited....at the moment, they're both neck-in-neck with with me. Did the dealer by chance mention when the deadline is to order if what you want isn't in stock? How long before delivery?
    Atlanta4....you also mention 2.9%..is that for short-term (24 mo.) financing? I'm in San Antonio and have noticed that depending on what part of the USA you live in, the incentives may be different. I'm looking at a 2WD/Lariat/5.4/limited-slip/Moonroof/sliding rear window in 2-tone color. Although I also like the Tundra Limited, I can get more bang for my buck with the Lariat, plus size and a bit nicer styling.
    I see I forgot to indicate the model. It's XLT.

Since I was on X-plan, didn't have any negotiating on price. Dealer (Central NJ by the way) seemed pretty honest about pricing and said they generally don't sell Screws much less than $800 - $1000 over invoice. That's a bit higher than Edmund's TMV suggests...but not much.

Maybe a really good negotiator could get dealer down to $500 over invoice if the dealer is also motivated, i.e. move a unit off the lot, etc..
    I'm not a Ford Employee. (If I was, I could buy on the A-plan...even better than X-plan.)

I don't know exactly how the A-plan price is set (it's set by Ford) but it looks to me like the A-plan price is around 6% below dealer invoice. A very nice deal.

The X-plan is available to company's that have some kind of "relationship" with Ford. My employer is a Fortune 500 property/casualty insurance company. I don't know exactly what our relationship to Ford is. Maybe all our fleet cars are Fords, or maybe we insure some significant part of the Ford empire...I just don't know.

Anyway, X-plan pricing is 4% above A-plan. So for instance, my dealer just read the A-plan price off of his computer printout/invoice and then used his trusty desk calculator to multiply A-plan times 1.04...and that gives the X-plan price, which is what I paid. All the options get the same treatment. I figure net result in my case was around $500 below dealer cost.

Dealer didn't mention the deadline for ordering 2001 Screws...but it must be close. (For instance, the deadline has passed for ordering 2001 Escapes).

Delivery time as indicated 6-8 weeks. He said he wouldn't know much of anything on status for 4 weeks, so I'll start checking with him in a month.

In NJ, the 2.9% is available up to 36 months.
    I appreciate the info you shared. BTW, locally, the Ford dealers have tons of SCrews, but most are bare bones 2WD XLTs. They're selling for $400 over invoice (Including Lariat). I don't know about the NJ area, but down here everybody and his brother drives pickups and SUVs, so prices are competitive. Enjoy your new truck when it arrives. I've never experienced it, but I hear your winters can be brutal. Your truck should arrive in time to enjoy last part of Summer. Oh okay, I just realized why you're getting 4WD...the SNOW!! Forgive me, I'm in mild-weathered Texas where we don't need 4WD, unless you work the farm or ranch. Anyway...enjoy!!
    We live in Atlanta & 2.9% is available up to 36 months for any dealer in this area. We looked at several dealers & found found the best deal at Vernie Jones Ford (about 30 miles north of Atlanta) in Jasper (706)692-6467, www.vjford.com
    Their price is $99 over invoice. I brought the invoice price from this website & it matched theirs (wish I could get that "plan" price that luckyjack mentioned). They don't try to slip any "doc fees" or any of the other typical dealer phoney baloney in on you on top of the quoted price so I was pleased with the experience. Area dealers have tons of SCrews and mostly fully loaded Lariats so you could probably find what you want if you don't mind a days drive & want to skip the 6-8 week wait. We wanted the leather bench but not the moonroof so had to look around to find the right combination. Really don't need the 4X4 here either except some areas we go for mountain biking. BTW -I looked briefly at the Tundra but felt the SCrew was much more capable for carrying family of 4 plus bikes, dog, camper, etc. Good Luck with your decision.
    You got my interest with your comment re lots of Lariats in your area. $99 over invoice? Wow! That's great. If I had to, I wouldn't mind flying to Atlanta to buy there. I'll check out the dealer/website you posted. As for my model decision, I'm an 'ol bachelor, that's why I'm also looking at the Tundra. I own a home and am getting tired of trying to cram a lawnmower into the trunk of a Prelude...and Christmas tree....and Home Depot things..etc., so this will be my first truck. Why would a bachelor consider a SuperCrew, you might ask? Sporty, roomy, stylish, good performer and most importantly...it doesn't look "like an old mans truck"!! BTW, did you notice if there many Lariats w/moonroofs?
    Thanks again.
  • jschira1jschira1 Member Posts: 7
    In the Dallas-Fort Worth area, anything over invoice for a new SuperCrew is too much. One dealer has a loaded Lariat 4x4. Sticker is $35,000+. His price is $6000 off sticker. King Ranch 4x2's are going for $28,000. The dealer said that he had every color in stock. This dealer is Westway Ford in Irving.

I just bought my SuperCrew this weekend. The local Ford dealer is taking $5500 off MSRP on every SuperCrew is stock. I got a bare bones XLT. The only option, captain's chairs front seats. Sticker was $27,910. I paid $22,410. No kidding. Invoice is $24,700 +/- for this unit. I am an X-Plan member and this is way below X-Plan or even A-Plan. This was a no hassle deal. Pick out your truck, and they take $5500 off the sticker. No bull, no argument, no dealer ad-ons. Fair value on my trade-in too ($1000 more than 2 other dealers offered me). This was as good of a deal as I have seen, so I bought a 2001 instead of waiting on a 2002 (I understand the changes to the 2002 to be a minor front end restyling).

The dealer told me that Ford has a special promotion on Ford trucks (at least in Texas). If the dealer sells 250 trucks in June, Ford pays him a bonus of $250,000. The number of trucks that must be sold probably limits this deal only to the bigger dealers.

This particular dealer is Don Davis Ford in Arlington (817) 261-4261. Ask for Bobby Ervin. He is their top salesman. A real pro. The dealer has just about everything in stock. I saw all colors. XLTs, Lariats, King Ranches, 4x2s, 4x4s, 4.6L strippo models (like mine). He has 40-50 in stock and told me that there is another 60 at the railhead waiting to be delivered.

If you want to check inventory, go to www.forddirect.com. Use ZIP code 76011. That will let you look at Don Davis' inventory.
  • 1digger1digger Member Posts: 1
    Debating purchasing a 2001 Lariat 4X4 SCrew from dealer stock versus ordering a 2002. Does anyone have any information regarding price increase on the 2002 model?? Thanks.
    Jeff....thanks very, very much for the zip code and Don Davis info. I'm in San Antonio and already had my compass pointed toward Atlanta.
    Locally, at the mega-Ford dealers, the most I've seen within the past month is $4000 off of King Ranch, $35-3800 off Lariats and ?? on XLT's. There must be a ton of SCrews up there. Is Don Davis Ford close to IH35? I'll check MapQuest for detailed directions. Thanks again!!

1Digger....I'd jump on a 2001 if I were you, otherwise you'd probably have to wait till Spring 2002 to start seeing decent deals on SCrews. I havn't found any source of price increase amount for 2002 Fords. I'm also considering a Tundra Limited, but you just get so much more bang for the buck with a SCrew when you compare features/options.
    1949 - Don Davis is just South (1/2 mile) of I-30 on the SH 360 access road.

I do not know how long Don Davis is going to hold that price, but I suspect at least during June, or until they sell 250 trucks.

I would call Bobby first and make sure they have what you want and that the $5500 off MSRP deal is still going on.

If Don Davis is no longer offering that deal, Westway Ford in Irving is taking $4800 off King Ranches. www.westway.ford
    Now that I'm 'waitin on delivery of my Screw (hopefully late July), I can turn to investigating the two major after-market items I'm interested in: bed liner and bed cover.

Just a little surfing on internet shows there are a huge number of options, so any comments (pro's and con's of various styles and brands, cost, etc.) from Screw owners on these items most appreciated. Directions to websites would be great if available.

Only thing I've pretty much ruled out at this point is the one-piece, solid type cover 'cause I want to be able to load large/tall items.

Thanks in advance.

LuckyJack
    The truck accessories topic on this site has some good discussion on bedliners & hard -vs- soft bed covers. I've been reading it recently while debating my purchase & it seems most people that use their truck to carry a lot like the spray in bedliner (line-x, rhino) over the drop in plastic type. Seems to make sense when you read the posts but it just gives me pause to think of spraying something that wont come off on a brand new truck. I'd have to see it installed first. As far as bed covers - several posts favored the hinged Berlin soft tonneau cover for around $200-250. Anyway, there was some good info there if you get a chance to check it out.
    Ditto to Atlanta4's suggestion....I found some great links to accessory sites from the truck acc. topic.
    Re: Bedliner....I've seen many owners that are down on drop-in liners, who cite such things as slippery surface which creates problems with small loads sliding all over the bed. Another issue is water that somehow sits beneath the liner and causes rust. I, too am apprehensive about having something "sprayed" into a bed. I did notice some new trucks at the dealership with spray-in liners that were very neatly applied by a local vendor. Some owners swear by them, pointing out durability and slip-resistant surface. I guess it just depends on what type of compound is used as to durability. Cost is $300-$400. I'm going to also add billet grill and chrome nerf bars, in place of factory black running boards. Good luck.
  • tkenny53tkenny53 Member Posts: 41
    Just was quoated, $300 over invoice in Los Angeles, plus 129 for ???. Anybody done better??
  • rsavrsav Member Posts: 1
    Dealer is offering fully loaded SCREW LARIAT 4x4 with 5.4L V8, moonroof, cabsteps, Heated seats for $30,250. Was wondering does anyone think they will eventually offer 0.9% financing later in the year or early next year. With Dodge coming out with a full 4-dr truck I would think FORD will come down in interest rates and/or rebates so they keep the lead on truck sales as they don't want to lose prospective buyers. Right now they have 1K off and 3.9% for 36 months here in Omaha.
  • lullman1lullman1 Member Posts: 15
    www.f150online.com You will find more information about Supercrews (and most other Ford trucks) than you could ever need. Beware, if you put it on your favorites list you will read it daily. Excellant message boards!
  • tom667tom667 Member Posts: 1
    If you are going to be towing a boat, I would reconsider the bed cover. In order to line up the trailer properly as you are backing down a boat ramp, you need to lower the tail gate and unsnap the cover. It can be a bit time consuming to line up all the snap buttons each time you do that.

I would also caution against leaving the cover unsnapped for any length of time as the cover can stretch and/or contract in odd places giving you a devil of a time getting it back into proper position.

I won't go near those on my next truck.
  • bowhuntwibowhuntwi Member Posts: 262
    I back a boat into a number of ramps, you haven't backed one until you try it with a SD CC 4x4 with a cap on.
  • jimbob7216jimbob7216 Member Posts: 15
    I just signed the papers late this afternoon on my Toreador Red/Silver SC/XLT. My question is about the tires that come with the truck. The dealership gave me a good deal, $300 over invoice, less $1,500 rebate, and 5% interest on a 3 yr lease.

What they would not do is give me any other choice of tire, but did say that for $300 they could have Michelns put on it.

Are the generals any good? Should I just get the Michelns? What do you think guys? I have to call the dealership by Sunday noon.

Thanks,
    Jim
  • mikebikemikebike Member Posts: 2
    I am looking at a 2001 F150 I crew Lariat with the limited slip rear end and towing package

invoice costs I/ options is 26,477 they will do it for 26,506 (they keep the 500 rebate)

oh yes ... plus tax....

it all seems too easy ---------is this a reasonable deal ??

thanks for your input
    Mike
  • lullman1lullman1 Member Posts: 15
    No.
  • connonconnon Member Posts: 52
    I wouldn't touch Michelins , let alone pay an extra $300 for them.Go with the Generals. BTW, my KR Screw came with Goodyears.I just wonder if Firestone will survive this scandal like they did the 500 series recall.I have Firehawks on my 76 Vette and think they are great.
    Anything over invoice for a 2001 right now is too much. You ought to be buying at invoice or below. Remember, there is a 3% holdback, so even at invoice the dealer is making $800 - $1000.

Michelin have never tested out very well in the tire tests done by Consumer Reports. They have always been the most expensive tire, but middle of the road as far as performance. You probably will get long life out of them. I have known people that get 80,000 miles or more on a set of Michelins.

B.F. Goodrich Radial Long Trail (OEM on some F150s) or Bridgestone Dueler A/T have topped Consumer Reports test. The Bridgestones looks really good too. Don't let the agressive tread pattern of the A/T fool you, they really ride pretty smooth and quiet.

You can also look at Yokohama Geolander H/T or Bridgestone Dueler H/L. Both scored very well. They are more of an SUV tire and do not look as aggressive as the Dueler A/T. The Yokohamas are a little cheaper than B.F. Goodrich or Bridgestone. You can go Consumer Reports website to learn more.

www.consumerreports.org
  • mikebikemikebike Member Posts: 2
    I posted just above in #731 am looking at a 2001 F150 I crew Lariat with the limited slip rear end and towing package

invoice costs I/ options is 26,477 they will do it for 26,506 (they keep the 500 rebate) plus tax

when you say invoice or below ... how does the $500 rebate fit in .... to me or them if I am below invoice......

I do not mean to be dense.... I just want to get the best deal I can ...
    thanks
    Mike
    Thanks connon and jschira 1 for the feedback on the Generals and the Michelins. I will go with the Generals.

Mikebike, the rebate is YOUR money! If you give it to the dealer, then it's like saying invoice plus $529. Email the internet sales managers of the Ford dealerships in your area, with exactly the truck you are looking for, and ask for firm quotes. The more dealerships you email, the better the picture becomes. Some will respond with exactly what you are looking for, that is, a firm quote on the truck you want, and it can be a very clean, easy deal for you at the best possible price.

Good luck.

Jim
    Mikebike - Jimbob7216 is right. If you let the dealer keep the rebate, that's like giving the dealer another $500. You should be at or below invoice before figuring any rebate. The rebate is your money. I don't know what F150's are selling for in your area, but around here (Dallas-Fort Worth), most dealers are selling F150's for $500 - $1000 below invoice. Some even cheaper. I bought my Screw 2 weeks ago. MSRP was $27900. Invoice was $24,700. I paid $22,400. No rebates here. Another dealer is taking $6400 off MSRP on Lariat 4x4's (loaded - MSRP $35,400, selling for $28,998). But this is Texas, where big dealers sell more trucks than cars, so truck deals can get pretty good, especially at the end of the model year.

Jimbob7216 - I have Generals on my truck too. We are in the dry season in North Texas, so I will keep these tires for now, but will switch to the Bridgestone Dueler A/T's when the rainy season starts in the fall. I had a 2000 GMC with Generals and had to try and avoid a bus that cut in front of me during a rainstorm. Ended up hitting the bus and the guardrail. The only body panel not damaged was the roof and the tailgate (repair bill was $6800, paid for by the bus company insurance). I don't know if different tires would have helped, but I got away from that one without a scratch, and if new tires will help prevent even a little a repeat performance, they are worth the money. On a positive note, wrecking my GMC gave me a good excuse to trade it in and get my Screw.
  • truckdudetruckdude Member Posts: 55
    Can you tell me what the monthly lease payment and residual are on your truck? I am interested in a lease but so far haven't seen anything that appealing. I'm assuming with a 5% equivalant lease factor the monthly payments are pretty reasonable.
    My walk-out price, TTL incl, was 23,287. My lease is no money down, $361 for 35 months. As you know, at that point I either turn in the truck, (which I will do), or buy it for the residual.

Jim
  • kbehnkekbehnke Member Posts: 60
    Jimbob,

What was the MSRP on your truck? Was it just the base 4x4 XLT SC, or did you have any options? How many miles/yr are you allowed? From what I've seen advertised where I live (Midwest), it seems like you got a pretty good deal.

Also, was it really a 35 month lease, or was that just a typo?

Thanks in advance!
  • reid7reid7 Member Posts: 1
    jshira1 - Can you tell me what dealer in Dallas you used to buy your Screw ? I haven't been very successful at getting price quotes out of dealers over the phone or internet, and when I do they are quoting $2-3K over invoice. If you can tell me the dealer and even the salesmans name I would appreciate it.
    Reid7 -

The dealer is Don Davis on SH 360 in Arlington. Talk to Bobby Ervin, a nice guy and a man of few word, rare in a car salesman. Don Davis' number is (817) 261-4261.

Westway Ford in Irving was advertising $6400 off a loaded 4x4 Lariat Screw this past weekend. MSRP $35,400. Sale price $28,998. I think that the ad said that they had 15 in stock at that price. I don't have a name there. The telephone number is (972) 659-0333.
  • cjremshwacjremshwa Member Posts: 3
    If anyone is interested in a used 2001 S-Crew, there are a few out there (in the DFW area, *including mine, hint hint*) that are for sale and reasonably priced.
  • curtisloewcurtisloew Member Posts: 6
    Alright cjremshwa,

I'll bite. Give me your pitch on your used 2001. cdcox@bayou.com
  • ron104ron104 Member Posts: 7
    I recently checked my radiator size on the Screw with the class 3 towing package and sure enough it was the small 1.02 one. The dealer said that they had heard about the problem but they weren't to specific about the details. Anyway they did replace it , but I am surprised that Ford has not notified all of us . Do they think that most of us just won't notice it? Don't they have some responsibility to notify us and either replace it or refund the money we paid for the package? Does anybody know of anything on the formal side that Ford is doing? Maybe after all the probs with their Firestone tires, they just don't want any additional bad publicity.
    I test drove a 01 screw, and while I drove over the bumps in the road at about 30mph the whole front end shimmied like crazy, not to mention 6500 miles on the truck, no reason was given on the mileage, but any way was this normal? also I looked at the radiator it was about 1 inch thick at the top with the class 3 package, when I questioned that, the sales manager asked did I measure it at the bottom, he said its wider at the bottom than the top, gotta love that sales pitch!
  • onextremefoolonextremefool Member Posts: 1
    My 2001 4X4 Supercrew rides like a tank when pulling a trailer that weighs 3000lbs. Does anyone have any suggestions for smoothing the ride so we don't bounce out of he seats. I have a Reese equalizer/anti-sway system on the trailer.
  • cat36cat36 Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone tried to program in a spare key. When I was at the dealership last week for an oil change, the parts department cut me a spare security key and I figured I could save the $12.50 the service department wanted to program the key. The instructions are in the owners manual and appear simple, but.... The new key will not program. I took the key back and the parts department cut 2 more keys and neither of these would work.. Their comment was that they had never seen a key that would not program. As for the instructions to program,it states all you have to do is to insert a coded key in the ignition switch, turn the key to the on position for more than 1 second but less then 5 seconds and then remove key. Then you must do the same with the second coed key. After that you insert the new un-coded key within 10 seconds and turn it to the on position. At that point the key should be coded to work. But it doesn't, I must be missing something... any ideas.. About the truck,Black, 5.4 litre, tow pack. XLT 2wheel drive, I ordered this truck and I now have about 4000 miles on it. I am getting about 15.4 mpg all city driving. I did purchase the rubber bed mat that comes with the Harley truck from the dealership for $135.00. This is high quality, thick rubber mat that works well.Love this truck!!
  • connonconnon Member Posts: 52
    When I picked up my 01 I had to remind the dealer about an extra key(big dealer perk, eh?) he had promised me.It only took him about 5 minutes to cut and program the key.Maybe your problem is in the computer module and not with the spare keys.Or maybe the entire lot of keys was exposed to something that fried the chips. Who knows? Mine is a 4x4 KR /5.4 with less than 3000 on the clock and even with almost all local driving my mileage keeps getting better. Now about 14 mpg. What a difference from my 99 superduty v10 4x4 which ran about 10.5 when I traded it.
  • guy21guy21 Member Posts: 129
    Last month I bought a Supercrew that included the CLIII Trailer Package ($350 MSRP). After reading various posts stating that the wrong radiators might have been installed, I decided to do a little research on my own. Today, I asked my dealer and Ford three questions. 1) Which radiator is installed in my truck? 2) Which radiator did I pay for? 3) Which radiator am I supposed to have? The dealer answered the first two questions. By checking the part number on the radiator, he determined that I have the standard 1 row radiator, not the 2 row super cooling radiator. By checking the options content listing (option code 535), we determined that the $350 on the sticker was to include the 2 row radiator (plus other items that I will get to). Ford answered the third question by telling us that per their Ordering Guides, on Supercrews only, the CLIII group does not include the H.D. Electrical/Cooling group (option code 531). This fact is also cleverly footnoted in the F150 sales literature under the Elect/Cool group description but not under the CLIII group listing. Per the option pricing and the sales literature for the CLIII group, the $350 was to include: 7-pin wiring, hitch receiver, HD shocks, HD battery, radiator upgrade, trans cooler. Ford also checked their build records per my VIN and verified that none of the HD Elec/Cooling group components were installed on my vehicle. The HD Elec/Cool group pricing lists HD battery, radiator upgrade and trans cooler upgrade for a MSRP of $210. As I have none of these items, but feel that I paid for them, I have asked my dealer to request a $210 refund from Ford.
    Well I have checked some trucks and found the trany cooler, but the small radiator. The largest tow package (7700lbs) should include all the items you mention, but the reg supercrew tow package is only rated for 6600lbs, but the one I saw was the 7700lb package, the dealer said the radiator was wider at the base than the top. The other factor is (!!!!!!) the fins, one has about 12 fins per inch and the hd one has 18 fins per inch, I think thats right, I looked throught the spec book at the dealer and it has all the specs on this matter. More checking is needed
This discussion has been closed.