Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Small Diesel Pickups

ezshift5ezshift5 Member Posts: 858
edited March 2014 in Isuzu
I own a 20-year old small diesel pickup. The original engine is nearing 300,000 miles. Only the head gasket (23 to 1 C/R) has been replaced. Rings, bearings, valves are all original.

My point: this engineering (in 1982 yet) jewel turns in 50+ mpg on the highway. I HAVE replaced alternators, radiators, batterines, tires, glow plugs, fuel pumps, and related gear. Why won't VW (yes, mine is a Rabbit Diesel) consider a fresh new (turbo) diesel?

Comments

• bigfurbigfur Member Posts: 649
    They have a fresh new turbo diesel...just no fresh new truck.
  • roche82roche82 Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone tell me of a small diesel pickup which has been manufactured in the last five years or so? The small ones all seem to be gas, and I am so pleased with the mileage on our VW Diesel bug, that I would like to purchase a diesel truck (but small!) if possible. Thanks!
  • seajayacasseajayacas Member Posts: 6
    The reason a small diesel truck is not considered is because the manufacturers (VW and others) do not think that a sufficient number can be sold to justify the expense of putting them up for sale. For sure they could sell some, but not enough of them to be profitable. It's not got anything to do with the reliabilty of diesel engines.
  • dustykdustyk Member Posts: 2,926
    Mitsubishi markets their small pickup in a diesel version in most all other places in the world. My company has a fleet of them in the UK and South America. I have also been told that they are common in the Phillipines and other Pacific rim countries.

I think Isuzu and Nissan have small diesels, too. My son who is in Iraq at the moment said that Nissan pick-ups were the most commonly seen over there and that he believed they were all diesels.

It wouldn't surprise me if there are US import regulations that don't favor them. But, maybe most manufacturers really don't believe there's much of a market for them in the US. After all, most other countries have high prices on gasoline and don't have the roads for large US pickup trucks, where a small diesel makes more sense. Who in the US wants a small pickup that only can load 4000-5500 pounds GVW with a diesel? Some do for gas mileage, but I'm thinking the numbers might be small.

Regards,
    Dusty
  • ezshift5ezshift5 Member Posts: 858
    For 18 years I've driver a small diesel pickup that fits my needs (small payloads). Little dude rivals the hybrids for fuel efficiency. Best to date is 54 mpg CA - OR. This country should get with the program. Were a new one offered, I lay down my bread pronto......ez
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    quote-It wouldn't surprise me if there are US import regulations that don't favor them.-end

It's called the "Chicken Tax". 25% tax on imported trucks. Stifles competition.
  • cmrolercmroler Member Posts: 3
    Isuzu does make a very nice truck, D-Max, to bad they haven't got the sense to sell it the US. Just do a search for it. It's nice.
  • ezshift5ezshift5 Member Posts: 858
    ....Isuzu D Max......choice of 3 diesels with the 5-speed available too.

You have both made and ruined (no US availability) my day.........best, ez
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Welcome to the Subaru Crew's Weekly Chat!

Join the Subaru Crew every Thursday evening for a chat session from 6-7pm PT/9-10pm ET. Stop in to talk about Subaru or just to say hello!... Hope to see you there!!

/direct/view/.eea5f48

PF Flyer
    Host
    Pickups & News & Views Message Boards
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    I took pictures of a Ford Ranger crew Cab Diesel about 3 years ago. It had just completed a trip from the tip of South America to Prudhoe Bay Alaska. The two young men driving told me they averaged 45 miles to the gallon for the whole trip. That vehicle is available in South America and Australia. NOT in the good old USA. We are given what the Manufacturers think we want. I showed the local Ford dealer the pictures and he could not believe Ford made such a truck. I would have bought one in a second if they started selling them here. I even thought of flying to Brazil and driving one back.
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    Here are a couple good websites confirming the existence of these fine PU trucks...
    http://www.ford.com.br/
    http://cf1.uol.com.br:8000/webventure/fordventure/ingles/index.cfm
This discussion has been closed.