Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Accord vs Acura TSX

Comments

• gee35coupegee35coupe Member Posts: 3,387
    They alone made the Accord suspension feel firmer than the TSX.
    imageSee more Car Pictures at CarSpace.com

Those wheels also look good on the TSX.
    imageSee more Car Pictures at CarSpace.com
  • bothofthembothofthem Member Posts: 7
    You have 245 45 17 wheels- that would make a diff. What about the stiffer suspension rates and lower-assist steering in the TSX? I can see wheel and suspension mods sharpening up my EX-L V6, for sure.
    215/50/17 on the TSX and the same size on the Accord. I think the suspension ont he Accord is stiffer than the TSX but the stock size tires hides it. It certainly feels stiffer than our TSX. I have the A-spec kit for my TSX sitting in a box in the garage, but I'm waiting to see what the next Accord looks like before I have it installed. If I like it, I'll be getting one when the TSX lease is up. If not, I'll just keep the TSX and make a couple of other mods.
  • stevehechtstevehecht Member Posts: 96
    I'm about to replace my stock Michelins with Kumho SPTs, but I can't decide whether to stay with 215/50 or go to 225/45. Then, depending on how they do, I could be on to Koni Yellows and H&R OE Sport Springs. And/or maybe a thicker rsb (17mm up from 14mm) from the TL.
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    Going to 225mm is such a miniscule change in width, it will do more for looks than actual performance. It's the tire compound that matters most, and the SPT's should give a significant boost in grip.

I'd do the sway bar first. It's inexpensive and also the single most effective way to reduce understeer.
    OK, so would a 235 width make an appreciable difference in performance over the 215? I believe that wider tires make for more road noise, and that's already high enough in the Accord.
    Noticeable? Maybe. Appreciable, I doubt it.

There are a number of dynamics involved here, but put simply, a 215 Kumho Ecsta MX will grip better than a 235 Kumho Ecsta SPT because it's a superior performance tire. Of course, it might be noisier, and it might not last as long.

Still, if it were my money, I'd go with quality before quantity - the MX.
    So I just ordered the 215/50 SPTs from TireRack.com. I'll put them on with a TL 17mm RSB and see what happens. Thanks for your input, fedlawman.
    I think you'll be pleased.

I do recommend installing one upgrade at a time so you can tell the effect each has on handling and response. I would do the tires first with stock suspension to get a feel for the new grip, and then install the RSB - I say this because I suspect the TL 17mm RSB is just too close in diameter to the TSX 15mm RSB, and may not make a noticeable difference.

If you find the TL RSB doesn't have the desired effect, I recommend the Comptech 22mm rear sway bar - it's the single most popular TSX upgrade in the enthusiast community, and $130 well spent.

http://www.comptechusa.com/store/140145tsx.html
    I do recommend installing one upgrade at a time so you can tell the effect each has on handling and response.

Yep, I was/am going to do that. The Accord RSB is 14mm diameter, so the 17 would be a 20% increase over stock. If/when installed I'd like to see some additional cornering improvements over the high performance tires without undue harshness when encountering (one-sided) road imperfections. The 17mm is only $50-60 on the web according to the Accord mod sites, so that's a pretty cheap experiment. If I want to go thicker I'd go to 20mm, from the TL sport I think it is. 22mm just seems a bit much for me.
    It sounds like you have a good plan. I'll be curious to hear from you about your results/experiences with the upgrades.
  • eldainoeldaino Member Posts: 1,618
    wow really? i've never heard of the accord being stiffer than the tsx...even though i do belive that for 06-07, the supsension was firmed up for the ex-v6 6sp manual versions, be them coupe or sedan. (note a regular ex v6 or lx v6 or just a plain 4 cyl coupe or sedan should have a 'softer suspension.)

I do like wider tires tho.
  • bothofthembothofthem Member Posts: 7
    Do you or anyone else have info on the manufacturer's and dealers' attitude to aftermarket RSB's? I'd like to limit myself to mods that don't impact the warranty (esp. drivetrain)and I don't have any experience with tire and suspension mods and warranties??
  • elroy5elroy5 Member Posts: 3,735
    As long as the aftermarket part did not affect/cause the warranty repair, you're golden.
    I could be wrong. But the Accord on 17" wheels feels firmer than the TSX on the same wheels and size tires. The only way i could explain it is that the Accords suspension is calibrated for the 16"'s taller and softer sidewall. The 17"'s tightened the body motions and sway trumendously. The Accord is almost tossable now.
  • peterusapeterusa Member Posts: 2
    Currently drive a 2004 Accord LX V6, thinking about getting TSX, but read all about the TSX is based (or similar) on the Accord. Since getting a new car is like getting a new toy, so is anyone (real onwner, not just test drive) feel bore about the similarity (please, no more about V6 vs. 4 cyl) ?
  • johnny420johnny420 Member Posts: 473
    The Accord is a fine vehicle, but, in terms of driving dynamics and fun-to-drive quotient, the TSX is a more engaging drive. Getting it with the excellent 6 MT is paramount to extracting all the car has to offer.

Given that the TSX is a relatively heavy car, it still has sharp-handling and very good steering response. When you need it to be, it has the practical, useful characteristics of a sedan, and it get good gas mileage. I've had mine 3.5 years now and it still puts a smile on my face every time I get behind the wheel.

I've not been able to say that with any other car I've owned.

Just one (admittedly biased) owners two bits worth. :D
  • mrgold35mrgold35 Member Posts: 73
    I have a 06 TSX w/ 5AT and my other daily driver is a 97 I-4 Accord LX 4AT. Coming from an Accord to a TSX, you will be very impressed with the fit, finish, technology, luxury, and handling of the Acura. Acura has one of the best interiors in the business along with modern technology. The only car that surpasses the TSX in the greatest balance of luxury, safety, performance, technology, and value is a TL. The TSX and V-6 Accord sound very similar on paper and I think most people judge both cars solely on that evaluation.

The best comparison is going from standard definition TV (the Accord) to high definition TV (Acura). You can do exactly the same with both; but, the Acura looks and feels sooo much better and it is more enjoyable. I never look forward to driving my Accord; but, I always look forward to driving the TSX.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    Of course the TSX is a few generations newer and 9 years younger.

The 06+ Accord is a totally different animal from the 1997 Accord. In fact the new 4 cyl is faster than the V-6 from 1997.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Yes, take it from an owner and daily driver of both ('96 and '06). The '94-'97 Accord is much more comparable with a current Civic!
  • zeep6785zeep6785 Member Posts: 7
    I'd like to be in the market now, but I'm torn between buying an 07 TSX now at great pricing, or waiting to check out the 2008 Accord. I like the size the TL, but not enough for the additional cost.

FACTORS FAVORING TSX --
    TSX Pros:
    Available Now at great pricing
    Has just about all the bells and whistles I'm looking for, especially BlueTooth
    Longer warranty, Acura intangibles and image

2008 Honda Accord Cons:

Potential first year bugs/glitches unless I wait months or for 2009 model
    BlueTooth only available on Nav models
    May sell for close to MSRP for many months, and for as much or more than TSX available for currently

Factors Favoring 2008 Honda Accord

With Nav, has the bells and whistles I want other than memory seats. I can live without that."
    Better emissions (ULEV rather than LEV)
    May Hold value better
    Updated Engine, technology generally
    Smoother ride than TSX without being as slushy as Toyota/Lexus
    Bigger, but may be bigger than I need.

TSX Cons:

Smaller backseat, difficult entry/exit in back.
    Full model change due next spring ...may get better pricing if I wait until spring.? Not sure if pricing will get much lower than now.

I'm leaning toward a TSX on the theory that an Accord EX-L with Nav (to get BlueTooth) will cost nearly as much or more than the TSX.

I'd appreciate thoughts on points I've missed, on how folks would weigh these factors. For me, I'd really like BlueTooth, don't care too much about sportiness between the two cars, and am not too hung up on Navigation either way. Wouldn't pay $1500 for Nav in and of itself.

Thanks. :confuse:
  • flatsflats Member Posts: 44
    I don’t know what your timeframe for a new purchase is, but here are a few thoughts. If you could hold off until late winter, you may have more information to make an informed decision.

The 08 Accord will have been out for a while, so hopefully the prices will stabilize once the ‘new kid on the block’ factor wears off. Plus, you can continue read the Accord forums to see if there are any hiccups on the revamped car.

The redesigned 09 TSX is supposed to hit the market in the spring time. Maybe some information will leak out by winter, and you can get a deal on the ‘dated’ 08 TSX.

Sidebar: If you go for a 2007 TSX now, you may have very limited availability in color combinations. Oh, and not to add pressure, but the TSX incentives end 9/4.
  • zeep6785zeep6785 Member Posts: 7
    Yes, that's exactly my point --- The TSX Incentives end Sept. 4, but I wonder whether it would be reasonable to expect equal or greater incentives mid-Winter.
    Have you thought about test driving an 06 TSX? The only difference between an 06 and 07/08 TSX is TPMS. Maybe getting a feel of an 06 with +25,000 miles would let you know how your investment will age over time with paint, rattles, ride and overall looks once the car is really broken in. My 06 TSX still has the “new car smell” after 16 months and +20,000 miles.

Some cars age better and some age worst because of engineering, materials and owners. A 04 TSX look so much more sporty and luxurious compared to a 04 Accord with similar features.

You could wait for the all new TSX in 09. I think once the 09 TSX is unveiled, we will never see another new Acura vehicle under $30,000 ever again. I’m expected Acura to place the price for the new TSX between $31,000 and $33,000 for Navi/Non-Navi models. This will separated the Honda EX V-6 and Acura TSX brands by price points hopefully forever. Folks will start to say in 09 “For $1,600-$2,500 more I can get a TSX with a longer warranty, sh-awd, 240hp turbo engine, w/ 260 lb/tq (more torque than 3.5L TL Type-S or RL), better handling, better styling, the same or better mpgs, and every luxury/safety/convenient features standard (except navi) compared to V-6 Honda EX”. Just my IMHO.
  • flatsflats Member Posts: 44
    Prior to the current $1000 manufacture to dealer incentive, there was a $500 incentive for a few months. Before that, I can't recall any $ incentives for the TSX throughout it’s history. There has been various financing rate specials through, some as low as 1.9%.

I’m rolling the dice and hoping to purchase the 2008 TSX around the end of the year perhaps catch an end of the year special.

Even if half of the rumors of the 09 TSX are true, I wouldn’t be interest in it. But I won’t tell the dealer that. :P

mrgold is correct about the changes between 06 and 07/08 TSX. But the 08 TSX did finally get a cd player that can play mp3s though. That is an option I would want.
  • mf15mf15 Member Posts: 158
    Well I was in the same boat just a few weeks ago, waited for the info on the 08 Accord, decided I did not like its looks and I wanted HID. Test drove TSX twice, also Altima, Thought TSX lacked power in the automatic version,with rock hard suspension, but tires could have been over inflated don't know.
    Took a test drive in a TL, big mistake did not want to pay that much, but that solved my problem, love it. Got one last monday,23 MPG on my commute to work, have not had on hiway trip yet, car has 300 miles now. Also I am 59 and with Honda making the Accord bigger to satisfy older folks I don't get it. All kids are grown so don't have to haul around lots of stuff, the days of the minivan are over for me. Old Mike
  • darthvader08darthvader08 Member Posts: 1
    Zeep,

I wavered on TSX versus the New 2008 Accord. I saved about $3K (Bought at Dealer Invoice...last day of the month negotiation tactic)

Anyway, my EX-L with Navigation has all of the same features as the TSX, except the Accord is larger. I purchased the four year warranty for an extra $1K so I'm now apples to apples on warranty. This still left me with $2K in total savings.

No one can argue that the TSX is a better looking vehicle. One passed me on the road yesterday. There will always be that luxury envy, but I am money ahead for now.

What did you decide to do? :)
  • dnwang12dnwang12 Member Posts: 6
    My friend told me that 2007 Accord EX V6 engine is same as Acura TL? Really?
    Your friend told you wrong. :blush:

The engines come from the same engine family, but are different.

Acura TL has two engine options, a 3.2L with 258 horsepower, or a 3.5L with 286 horsepower (the 3.5L comes on the Type-S).

The 2007 Honda Accord has a 3.0L with 244 horsepower. It is still plenty fast (0-60 MPH in less than 7 seconds).
  • daphne22daphne22 Member Posts: 1
    Hi There, I am in the same situation as you,I love the TSX and the 2 seat adjustment and the bluetooth which the 2008 Honda doesn't have...unless I add it....with the EXL w/navi, what did you ultimately pay for the Accord? I am coming down to the wire and really need some good advice..Can you help? Thanks :confuse:
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    They are both nice cars, either get a new designed car or get a the TSX which is very classy. Honda does have bluetooth available as an option on all trims now! So, that will help. Basically, the Accord EX-L 4cyl, can, maybe be bought for $25k, or get the standard TSX for $26-28k. Really, you can't go wrong with either one, you need to drive them both, and let the ride make your decision. They are both made from the same company, both great values! Good Luck!
    The TSX is a great entry luxury sports sedan. It has a longer warranty, more standard features, and a higher resell value compared to other vehicles in its price range. Like most auto makers, luxury features exclusive for Lexus/Acura/Infiniti/Audi are starting to trickle down to Toyota/Honda/Nissan/VW. Items like Navi, Bluetooth, XM radio, and high output engines are becoming standard or reasonably priced options.

The TSX was geared more to compete against the previous generations of Lexus (IS300), 325 BMW, and 1.8T Audi, Jaguar 2.5L X-type. Most of these cars have updated their vehicles and pretty much left the TSX behind in features, power, and price points. Now the gap is closing on the TSX from non-luxury models from Toyota, Honda, and Nissan.

We have to wait for the all new TSX in 09 to widen the gap between Honda and shorten the lead of BMW/Audi/Lexus.
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    Does the TSX need premium or will 87 octane suffice? Like the size much better than the new longer Accord. Still think the TSX looks a bit classier...a more pulled together piece of machinery. Not to say the the new Accord is a slouch in this area, quite the contrary. But the TSX looks a bit more symetrical if that makes any sense. Both stellar automobiles. The fuel/mpg's would be a big consideration though and just not comfortable with the larger Accord.

The Sandman :)
    89 Octane is a good choice and the lowest I would go for my TSX.

Using 87 octane will still make the car drivable and you will not notice anything different in normal conservative driving. The ECU will adjust the fuel/spark timing to reduce engine knock during high engine stress driving (hard acceleration, driving up hills, carrying a full load). The downside will be not having the full high performance potential the engine can give you. You will use more gas and have less power compared to 89-93 octane users IF you drive your car to its performance limits.

If you are a conservative driver and don't need max performance, you could use 89 octane and maybe 87 octane with no problems. I just use 91 octane because Sam’s club only has 87 or 91 octane at the pump in New Mexico.
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    2008 TSX automatic with nav or 2008 EX-L 4 cylinder automatic with nav?
    I think I might need 3 years and 45K miles, so the TSX will have full warranty and the Accord would be out of warranty for 9K miles if I used the entire 45K miles. To getfull warranty coverage on the Accord for the entire lease, I would have to buy an extended warranty and the majority of that waranty would be wasted if I really only need 9K of coverage (unless you can get a refund of unused portion at lease return).
    The Accord would probably be cheaper to maintain and would get better gas mileage and use cheaper fuel and maybe cheaper insurance.

I think the Accord should be cheaper to lease 3 years based on MSRP, but if Acura has lease incentives, maybe the TSX could be leased for around the same cost as the Accord since Honda has no lease incentives on the 2008 Accord.

What do you think?
    I think you need to find out what the costs are and then decide whether you want a compact sporty sedan (TSX) or a large comfortable sedan (Accord).

Only you can answer those questions...
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    I know the TSX is big enough. I would prefer it for around the same lease cost or even just a little more, but if it cost a lot more even factoring the cost of getting an extended warranty on the Accord, I would just take the Accord.
    There would have to be an aggressive lease program on the TSX for costs to be close, but I don't know if there is. I know there is no discount lease rate program on the Accord.
    Nog sure about the lease rates - you'll have to see a dealer for that. That said, with the TSX's excellent resale history, I suspect the monthly costs will be similar.
  • lmacmillmacmil Member Posts: 1,758
    If you don't have any issues on the Accord in 36K miles, unlikely you will have any in 45K miles. I think an extended warranty on an Accord (or TSX) is a waste of money. Better to put it away in a "repair fund" in case you need it.
  • nj2pa2ncnj2pa2nc Member Posts: 811
    i use 87 octane gas in my 06 6spd tsx. I have no problems with it-has more than enough power and gets excellent gas mileage-average 33-34 MPG. I do mostly highway driving but i do not over-rev it. kinda conservative in my old age. the best MPG was 42.7 but that happened once but many times it has been 35mpg+ my car, bought new 11/17/06 has almost 31,000 miles on it.
    I do mostly highway driving but i do not over-rev it.

Well, your TSX has a powerband that doesn't come alive until WAY up there, above 6,000 mainly. As long as you aren't going past redline, you won't hurt it.
  • venus537venus537 Member Posts: 1,443
    Actually the TSX has a wide powerband that's lively across the rev range. The problem is the car needs more torque for its weight. Though most of its torque is available across a wide RPM range it's insufficient for some people.
    The biggest rush of power comes in the 6-7k RPM region though. The iVTEC keeps things from being completely dead down low, but to have the most fun with it, you really want to wring it out (it sounds good in the process!).
  • venus537venus537 Member Posts: 1,443
    And you really want it with the manual too.

It's great that the turbo will be available in the next TSX but I'm disappointed that it will only be available in some sort of top end sports model. It should be available across the board. Like with the GLI, I don't want all the stupid dip stick boy racer crap that comes with the car.
    "It's great that the turbo will be available in the next TSX"

I'll believe it when I see it. :confuse:
  • exfhp50exfhp50 Member Posts: 8
    Not sure if this has been covered yet or not but here's my question: How would a '04 TSX compare to a '04 Accord V6 coupe as far as mpg and performance go? I know those two phrases (mpg and performance) shouldn't be in the same sentence but these vehicles come close to having both. I currently drive a Mirage :shades: and have an 80+ mile round trip to work each day. I NEED something more fun to drive. So this is my dilemma, I like both vehicles but I'm just not sure which one to go with.
    I'd go with the Accord. The difference in mileage is around 2 MPG, but since the TSX needs premium to make its 205 hp, the difference will end up a wash. The Accord's extra torque (about a 50 lb-ft difference) will be VERY noticeable when passing (less gear-shifting and hunting), and accelerating of the line.

For the record, I have a 4-cyl Accord, but I think when weighing costs, if the vehicles cost the same, I'd take the V6 Accord over the 4-cyl TSX. Both will give you 30 + MPG on the highway if you keep your speeds at 70 MPH or less.
  • vietviet Member Posts: 847
    Thanks, The Graduate for your info.
  • exfhp50exfhp50 Member Posts: 8
    Thanks for the info. I drive like a grandma most of the time and 30 mpg is the magic number. If the V6 Accord can achieve that number and better, it may be the way to go. BTW which ever vehicle we get I'm hoping it will be a manual, I think I have the wife talked into it.
    I'd visit the Honda Accord MPG forum. There are many Gen VII (03-07) V6 owners who get well over 30 MPG highway. Personally, I beat the EPA numbers in my 2.4L Accord from that generation as well (usually around 37-38 MPG at 75 MPH). The V6 should give you at least 32 at 70MPH, not to say the TSX wouldn't beat its numbers too, but the difference will be negligible.
This discussion has been closed.