Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Avalon Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• smith1smith1 Member Posts: 283
    "In sum, the Avalon is a great car, with many features found on cars costing $10,000 and more."

Wow -- the Av has some of the features found on $10,000 cars. That's quite an endorsement!

I'm just teasing you -- thanks for the detailed report on your buying experience!
  • billd3billd3 Member Posts: 3
    I purchased a limited from Priority Toyota in Chesapeake Va, over the weekend. Bought it at what they said was invoice, $33,841, for nav, laser cruise control, stability control and floor mats. The only difference from the Edmunds invoice was for an advertising fee. I couldn't determine the validity of that amount. Looks like you did better by going to NOVA. I too am interested in the extended warranty but the dealer would not move on the $1650. Can you give me the contact info on the Mass dealer? Thanks.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Sorry - no contact info per the red lettering above the "post a message" box. Thanks!

kirstie_h
    Roving Host
    Host, Future Vehicles & Smart Shopper discussions

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• finfin Member Posts: 594
    From prior posts, the best deals on the extended warranty are from Greenfield Toyota in MA and Toyota of Glen Burnie in Maryland. Contact them for details. :)
  • captnemocaptnemo Member Posts: 1
    Just bought a 2006 avalon touring edition (NW burbs of chicago), sticker price was $32004 bought it for $$28,398 plus taxes & lic. Got the toyota platinum warranty 7/75000 $50 ded for an additional $845, list was $1,200.
  • neil5neil5 Member Posts: 118
    Get the NAV so you have screen for backup camera and Movies if wanted.
  • alexrod99alexrod99 Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone purchased from San Bruno, CA? I have an offer from a dealer:
    Limited with Vehicle Stability Control and Laser Cruise Control for $32,158 (excl. tax and license).

Please comment if this is a good deal. Are there any other gotchas that I have to be aware of?
  • alexrod99alexrod99 Member Posts: 2
    Who's the dealer that offered you this price and do you have a contact name?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,767
    You may include the dealership name, city and state in your post. Please do not post names of salespeople, telephone numbers, email addresses, or other contact information.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• sunny_8sunny_8 Member Posts: 10
    Thomas Toyota ....
  • rhhollinrhhollin Member Posts: 1
    Any further news on the possibility of a new touch screen Nav system on the 2007? I am negotiating on a new 2006 Limited but would hold off if the 2007 will fix the often reported issues with the Nav system. Was there any mention if Toyota will allow the passenger to make changes to the nav system while the vehicle is moving? My four year old Honda Odyssey has both these features and would hate to buy a vehicle in the Avalon class with less.
  • smithmasasmithmasa Member Posts: 12
    Where is the dealer located?
    Where is Thomas Toyota located?
    Thomas Toyota is in Joliet
    What options did your 06 Avalon XL have on it?
  • altatedaltated Member Posts: 1
    Melody Toyota is in San Bruno,CA,not Thomas Toyota. Did smith1 buy from illinois?
  • neil5neil5 Member Posts: 118
    Get the backup Camera with your TV,NAV, DVD..It is great and safe at night. See pics Cardomain, or ToyotaNation galleries
  • bobwileybobwiley Member Posts: 241
    billd3: Call Toyota of Greenfield--Greenfield, Massachusetts--I'm glad I did---saved $505 for a 6yr 75K Mile Plan--dealer wanted $1,200--paid $695--7 Yr 100K Mile--dealer $1,650--Greenfield---$995 or $990---save some $$$ or get your dealer to meet the price!!
    Bob
  • gohawaiiangohawaiian Member Posts: 84
    I received 2 of those keyless transmitter fobs (each has a removeable door key built into the device) when I picked up my Limited recently, and no other keys or key cards. Is that "standard issue" or did any Limited owners receive anything else besides those 2 transmitter units? (I know it's a keyless entry system, but I noticed that the AutoChannel website, in listing the Avalon's features & specs, mentions that there's a key-card too.) Is the key-card only for the other Avalon trims (XL, Touring, XLS) that don't have the keyless entry feature?
    gohawaiian: In the end of one of the "key fobs" is a key---that's all I got from the dealr also--2 key fobs. I'm going tomorrow for oil change and I'll ask about a "key card" and report back for all.
    Bob
  • billd3billd3 Member Posts: 3
    BobWiley:

Thanks for the info. I called Toyota of Greenfield Mass. 7yr/100k for $990 instead of $1650 which local dealer wanted. After local dealer finance manager said his "cost" was $1250 (at the time of sale), I decided he was being "less than truthful" and I wasn't going to give him the opportunity to meet Greenfield's price. I value someone being a straightshooter from the gitgo and I don't think he was. The guy at Greenfield was a delight to deal with, no BS, sent him the copy of the registration with the VIN a statement of mileage and he called me. Gave him Credit card info and I got the paperwork in the mail. He said he does about 150 warranties a month and wants more. So anyone with a new Toyota, Lexus or Scion should contact him.

Bill
    Bill-----you're right--it was sooooooo easy and within 10 days I had my replacement warranty in hand! I'm like you, deal with me straight--no BS! I know Greenfield Toyota is GLAD to have the business!! Can't understand why any dealer wouldn't want to "match" their price, especially if they know you're going to buy it anyway. Ya know Greenfield is making $$$ on the deal and probably great incentives with their volume!!
  • sassykatsassykat Member Posts: 6
    I am patiently awaiting the arrival of the 07 avalons to come in. I have heard that if you wind up paying the sticker price for your OTD price (Including TT&L and all fees) that this would actually be a good deal? Is this true or is someone pulling my leg?
    In most parts of the country you should be able to buy an Avalon for close to invoice. Adding in TTL and fees that is still well under the sticker price. If you pay sticker OTD you are giving the dealer over $1000 more. Some people might call that a good deal, but I wouldn't.

It's a dumb formula anyway, since sales tax varies by state and Toyota's regional fees vary by region. And it doesn't take into account any incentives that might be in effect.
    I live in Idaho and am looking for an XL with VSC.

Does anyone know of any dealers in the west that are selling the Avalon's close to invoice price?

I have submitted a request for pricing to several on-line companies but have not had any replies. Anyone know of a successfull company to work with?

When will we be able to order a 2007?

Can you order an XL with VSC or do you have to take what you can get?
    Forget the online buying services. When you are READY TO BUY, email a quote request to the internet sales manager of every dealership you would be willing to drive to to pick up a vehicle (you can get the email addresses from the dealer websites) requesting their best price on an XL with VSC, specifying the acceptable color(s) and any other options you want. The request email should make it clear that you are a "live wire", you are soliciting bids from multiple dealers, and you will buy from whoever gives you the best price OFF THE BAT on a car that meets your specifications. You will get your best pricing this way. You can execute the entire transaction without ever going to the dealership except to pick up the car, so don't be afraid to "cast a wide net" and solicit bids from dealers a long way away -- it could save you a lot of money.

In my area (Chicago) many of the XL's have VSC, it shouldn't be hard to find unless you are really picky on colors.
  • thegadgetguruthegadgetguru Member Posts: 27
    Yes, just the two key fobs with the removable "valet key." When I asked my salesperson if it came with a Valet Key, she had no idea what a valet key was. I had to explain its usage. Then, after looking at the fob, I pressed the release button, and, VOILA, the skeleton valet key appeared. Here's a very cheap improvement for the fob. Add a ring to the opposite side of the fob. This way, when you hand your fob to a valet, they can use the ring to hang it on a key board. If you think of the best way to use this keyless system in real life, you would attach a house key or other keys to the ring around the eye of the valet key. You use the valet key to lock the glove compartment and trunk (the glove compartment is where many identity thefts take place as they have your name and personal information on the registration). Then, simply remove the valet and personal keys from the fob and walk away. The fob will be used to enter the car, get it started, but not grant access to the box and trunk. DUH? Why didn't the great Toyota minds think of that? It seems like at Toyota, the inmates are running the asylum!
  • oilcan2oilcan2 Member Posts: 120
    Ordered 06 ltd from Arlington Toyota in Ill. for 31,664.00,
    with VSC.
  • mefoghornmefoghorn Member Posts: 12
    I am looking to buy a White XL with leather seats and a power moonroof. Also, it seems that all inventory has the 6-CD changer even though a single-CD is all I want. What is the invoice for this? Does anyone have a recent price on this configuration. I'm in Dallas-Fort Worth area.
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,905
    The XL isn't available with Leather. You may find it as a dealer option, but with the added cost you would just be better off moving up to the Touring or XLS which has leather standard

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• mefoghornmefoghorn Member Posts: 12
    Not true. There are XL's with leather option. It is a port-installed option. And it's another $1500 or more on top of the leather option cost to jump up to an XLS.
  • sassykatsassykat Member Posts: 6
    To get the options that I want on the 07 avalon I will probably have to do a special order from the factory. By doing so will I lose out on getting $$$ off of the MSRP?
    Should I go through the fleet department or internet department of my local dealership? Or is there a better way?
    Thanks.
  • oilcan2oilcan2 Member Posts: 120
    Check to see if your dealer even has a internet dept.,unless
    you want the features on a 07 that cannot be had on a 06
    I would buy a 06 ,you will get a better price.
    The vast majority of dealers now have internet sales departments. That is the best way to get the best price, as long as you haven't had previous dealings with a floor salesperson at the dealership. I recommend sending a "request for bid" email to the internet sales manager of every dealership you are willing to drive to to pick up your car. Specify the exact features you want and ask the dealer to provide their best price. Let them know you are soliciting multiple bids and will go with the best price you get.

There is no such thing as "special ordering" a Toyota in the way you order a Chevy or Ford. The Toyota factory does not build cars on order from specific customers. What you can do is ask a dealer to "preference" a car with your desired options, this means they attempt to get that vehicle inserted into the stream of vehicles designated to be built, or trade another dealer for it. But, Toyota doesn't build every possible combination of options, and different regions get different combinations. And it can take months for a preferenced vehicle to get built if it is an unusual combination of options.
  • rjrnyrjrny Member Posts: 1
    Please explain how you added a ring to the fob. Very poor design if you ask me.
  • fuzzymanfuzzyman Member Posts: 5
    Greetings All,

I just paid $31,700 for a 2006 Avalon Limited from Boch Toyota. It had Remote Start, VSC, Dynamic Laser Cruise Control, Floor Mats, & Wheel Locks.

As for experience, the ABSOLUTE WORST experience I have ever had purchasing a vehicle.

I had pre-negotiated the sales price with an Internet Sales Consultant, so assumed I just had to go in, sign the paperwork, and leave. Well, that was until I got there and found the color on the car was not the one I requested (can you say bait-n-switch). I did end up purchasing another vehicle with similar features, but had to endure a 3 hour marathon that included a change of salesperson (to a sales manager), a 25 minute wait where noone was communicating with me (the sales manager comes over and asks if I am all set, I said: You tell me, you're the last person I talked to, 25 minutes ago). All of this happens with a 3 month old and a 2 1/2 year old.

Of course I never would have brought the kids if I knew I was going to go through the ENTIRE sales process over again.

To top it all off, this place was an hour drive from home.

That was Thursday, I still do not have my car because they have to drive the car to NH to witness the registration. I was told Friday they would contact me today to tell me what time today they could get the car up there. I have three calls into them, and am still waiting to hear back.

Oh, the joy of dealing with Boch Toyota.

Just thought I would pass this along in case anyone was thinking of purchasing there. . .
  • frankrom22frankrom22 Member Posts: 14
    Thanks for the info.

By the way what was that the OTD price? In addition, what was the MSRP on the care you purchased?

I am trying to find a standard 2006 Avalon XLS in the Atlanta area and I am trying to figure out what OTD price I should offer the dealer (7% sales tax).

Thanks again,
    Frank
  • fuzzymanfuzzyman Member Posts: 5
    Hi Frank,

NH does not have sales tax, so the OTD price was just $31,700 + $298 doc fee = ~$32k

Had the car delivered yesterday. . .smooth, comfortable ride.

Regards,

John
  • fadilfadil Member Posts: 21
    How much am I supossed to pay for base XL without any option?
    Thank you! :)
    fadil: Dealer cost is $26,775 + $580 Shipping or $27,355. Remember--the dealer gets 3% Holdaback from the MSRP of $27775 or $803. Total invoice for an XL--NO Options is $24,501 including the $580 Shipping. So, if the dealer sold you the car for invoice, he still makes $803 because of the holdback. I saw an XL advertised at St Louis dealer going for $25,099--MSRP was $27,554--it had the $199 Carpet Mat Set--so, with the MSRP of 27,554 less the $580 shipping--the MSRP is $26,974 & with the 3% Holdback--the dealer makes $809. The Carpet Mat Set costs the dealer $126. I'd shoot for paying invoice or $24,501--remember, dealer still makes $809 on the 3% Holdback--start at INVOICE. Not sure where you live---but--get quotes from as many dealers as possible. You'll notice if you check their inventories, you'll "In Stock" and "Available"---print out the "Available Listing"--if the dealers are in the same area--the Available Listing will be identical!! Play them against each other!! Your problem might be getting the color you want. Remember--the dealer "holds" the Holdback as sacred $$$$--so hang tough!!! Good luck and let us know what ya paid!!
    Bob
    Sorry--MSRp in 1st line SB $26,775
    Bob
  • gohawaiiangohawaiian Member Posts: 84
    I bought a brand new 2005 Avalon Limited in May 2006 after comparing prices on a similarly equipped 2006 model. The savings were pretty dramatic: 19% (over $6K) off the 2005 MSRP (incl. shipping) versus 10.5% discount offered on the 2006 MSRP. Since the 2006 model was virtually unchanged from 2005, and I plan to keep the car at least 6 years, choosing the 2005 model with its considerable extra savings was a "no brainer" for me. Likewise, if you determine that the 2007 model is not significantly different from the 2006 model, and that the 2006 model still offers you all that you want, you might want to negotiate for a hefty discount on the 2006 model, since dealers will be anxious to clear them when the 2007 cars arrive.
  • fadilfadil Member Posts: 21
    Thank you, Bob!
    fadil---let us know the end price!! Be firm--they'll want to move the 06's fast and from what I've heard--they have a bunch left to move before the 07's arrive!!!!
    Bob
    I'm looking for an XL with VSC on it and there are none in the northwest region and it's getting close to changing production years. Does anyone know when they will quit producing the 06 Avalons? Also, any idea of what percentage the base price will increase?
    smithmasa: They should have an inventory the dealers draw from--if you go to www.toyota.com you can find all the dealers in a respective Zip Code or close proximity. A friend just bought a "plain Jane XL---they live in St Louis---car was found at a dealer in Emporia, KS! Keep loking--I'm sure if adealer wants to sell--he'll find one!! Good luck!
    Bob
  • frankrom22frankrom22 Member Posts: 14
    Purchased a 2006 Silver Pine Mica, XL, with leather, sunroof, 6-disc changer; anti-theft system for $29.3K drive out price.

Thanks again for everyone's help.

Frank
  • scotthochscotthoch Member Posts: 2
    2006 Touring with VSC, Moonroof, 6CD and mats for $29,705 plus 199 doc fee (grrrrr). It was the best I could do after three days of internet salesman from several states and three local dealerships in TN. I called one dealer while sitting at another's sales desk to get the last 300 bucks out of them. Good luck!
  • mlincoln05mlincoln05 Member Posts: 13
    I purchased a 2006 Avalon XLS with the JBL Synthesis audio 6 disc in dash CD changer with 12 speakers, it also has the remote engine starter and carpet and floor mats. The MSRP with all of these extras was $33, 143. The dealership were offering 2 of these vehicles with $6,000 off. The brought the price to 27,700.76. With tax and license, the otd price was 29,700.76. I love the car, however, my buying experience wasn't great.

First off, the salesman (who was demoted from a managerial position) didn't know much about the vehicle. As I asked him questions about it, (such as, does it come with bluetooth for hands free talking? What about ipod integration, does it have that? He didn't know any of these answers. It only got worse form there as I asked 5 people to show me how the anti theft device works. I wanted to hear the alarm that sounds when it is set off. Not one person (and this goes all the way up to the GM knew how to set it off to test it.

I was also upset that they offered me an 8.0% financing even though my credit score is in the high 770's. I called the guy we purchased my wife's car through who told us that they gave us 1% point higher than they were supposed to with our credit score. The only reason I purchased was 1, obviously the price and 2, I was going to go to my credit union anyway to get financing. But to know that these guys charged me a whole percentage point higher makes me very angry.

Anyway, just wanted to share my experience hope this gives insight on prices out here on the west coast.
  • jamesm2jamesm2 Member Posts: 1
    According to Toyota and some customers, 07 avalons have started shipping.
    1) Is anyone seeing them on dealer lots yet?
    2) Are they being stockpiled somewhere until 06's sell down?
    And I haven't seen much in recent posts about markdowns on 06's either. They'll soon really be a year old model.
    3) Anyone have any experience with how to induce a less than invoice price on an 06? Or a close to invoice price on an 07 when they show up?
    I have been concentrating on the XLS - is the factory audio so bad that the JBL audio is needed, or is that just a gouge?

Sorry about all the questions, I have been following this forum for months but don't know what to do at this point in time. I need a replacement car soon.
    Thanks for your help. :confuse: