Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Avalon Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A large national news magazine is looking new Toyota owners that switched out from a Ford vehicle with their new purchase. Please send an e-mail to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Wednesday, August 23, 2006 by 2:30 PM PT/5:30 PM ET containing your daytime contact information, what Toyota car you purchased and what Ford car you left behind.
  • joehel2joehel2 Member Posts: 1
    I have a quote from a NJ dealer for a 2006 XLS of MSRP: $35,634, invoice $31,660, deal to me of $31,160 plus tax & tags. Car has navigation, VSC/heated seats, and carpet set. My invoice calculation is $500 less than what they say the invoice is. How does it sound? I am new to the forum but have been an Edmunds user pre-internet days.
  • mlincoln05mlincoln05 Member Posts: 13
    Sounds like a deal considering I paid $29.7 for my XLS that had an upgraded sound system and remote starter. You're getting navigation and seat warming as options which is pretty handy. I feel personally, anytime you pay invoice or under invoice, you are winning, so good luck.
  • hayesdayshayesdays Member Posts: 4
    We bought a 2007 Avalon XL today.
    Electric Blue/Beige, cloth, 6-disk CD.

MSRP - $27,952
    Invoice - $25,798
    Paid - $26,000
    DOC Fee - $ 589
    Trade - $ 2,000
    (1999 Altima with 150kmil. KBB is $2K. Needs: A/C compressor and waterpump. Leaks coolant, overheats. Repair costs about $1200)
    Floor Mats - Included
    And... CU Financing @ 4.99%
  • smithmasasmithmasa Member Posts: 12
    Are the 2007 Avalon's on the street? Did you take delivery of one? What are the changes on the 2007 models?
    2007 Yup!

I dunno about any changes. It's my first Avy.
    Thanks! Anyone know about the changes for the 2007 Avalon?
  • frankrom22frankrom22 Member Posts: 14
    My understanding is that a tire pressure indicator is the only new feature on the 2007 Avalon. However, I could be mistaken.
    I can confirm that i DO have the tire pressure sensor.

I do not have Auto Vehicle Stability, or laser cruise or any of the other whiz bang features.

It is a big car! My wife calls it the "Big Blue Boat"

but she was in a 99 Altima and I called it the "Crackerbox Coffin."
  • jlsextonjlsexton Member Posts: 302
    This is a good time to buy if it's an 06. Check out Edmunds and Kelley Blue book web sites, get the invoice price and negotiate up from there. I purchased a Limited that listed for about $36,900 and paid $32,700.I could have saved another $100 from another car store but I like this family owned business and have always been treated well, plus they threw in 5 oil changes which sort of evened it out.GOOD LUCK
  • jlsextonjlsexton Member Posts: 302
    Just curious, does your vehicle have the Smart Key system, that is no key at all, just the unit and a push button ????
    No push start on the 2007 XL. I think you have to step up to the LTD. It's only another $10K...
  • popeye7popeye7 Member Posts: 15
    2006 Avalon Limited Blizzard Pearl
    Has every option except Navigation & Satellite Radio.

MSRP $37,055.00

Quoted $33,428.00

Is this a good deal or can I do better? Since I plan to lease, am I better off with a higher residual on an 07 Avalon or should I go after the 06.
  • oilcan2oilcan2 Member Posts: 120
    Will be picking up a 06 ltd with vsc for 31.6 at Arlington
    Toyota in Chicago area Sat.
    I purchased my avalon from John Elway's Crown Toyota in the city of Ontario, Calif. It was below invoice and they have been selling Avalons every week at $6,000 under MSRP. The MSRP is usually around $33k with the added on options. I only reccomend them because of the deal they are offering and not because they are great to deal with because they are not, however, their deal is the best I have seen on this cost thus far. I walked out with my XLS for under $30K. I guess they are making room for the 07's. In any event, happy hunting!!http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com/media/townhall/w- ebxicons/emotorcons/emo_shades.gif
  • dziendzien Member Posts: 4
    Bought a green mica ltd. 7/11 with stability and mats for 31,124.
  • j_hbrockj_hbrock Member Posts: 32
    Being that the 2006 have been out for a year and some of them have been sitting on the dealer lots for a while, what should the expected mileage be on a NEW 2006 Avalon?

Obviously they might be a little higher than the '07 models (test drives, etc...). Is there a standard mileage that a car should NOT be if it is deemed "new"?
  • captain2captain2 Member Posts: 3,971
    huh? even the cars that are used as dealer demos and may have several thousand miles on them before they are sold - are deemed 'new'. Model year should make more difference in actual price you get than even a few thousand miles here or there.
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,849
    My 2006 had 260 miles on it because it was swapped with another dealer, I just had them document on the paperwork that I took delivery with those miles and not 0.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• fadilfadil Member Posts: 21
    I am from Illinois. I just got a quote from the dealer for 06 Avalon Touring (MSRP of 32,303.00) for 28,398.00. I think that this is not that good price.Please, what do you think about it?
  • lambdinlambdin Member Posts: 1
    Hello everyone, I never expected to be an Avalon owner at least not for a couple more decades (I'm 38) Ive driven Honda accords for years and was looking for a newer one when I ran across a 2000 XLS with 46K, the car is absolutely like new and had been garaged since new, normally I will try to deal on the price but after driving the car and trying my best to find anything wrong with it, I gladly paid the original owner $13,500.00 my friends thought I was crazy for shelling out that kind of money for a 6 year old car but everytime somone see's and rides in the car they cant believe the luxury of it , but anyway what do you folks think? did I spend too much ?
  • bobwileybobwiley Member Posts: 241
    lambdin: Are you happy? If so, then enjpoy the car!! You probably paid too much according to KBB---in my Zip Code, a "loaded 2000 XLS--with leather, Nav, spoiler and moon roof would sell at a dealer according to KBB for $13,310--before negotiations. Car is in reality 7 model years old. My neighbor has a 98 Camry (4cyl) with 190K miles--runs like new!! Enjoy the many miles of motoring ya have with your Avy!!
    Bob
    I think you can do better for a Touring. I paid less for my 06 XLS. The options may have run the price out as well. What are the options they offer? Try to get the price closer to Invoice (Invoice is approx 26k). :)
  • americanamerican Member Posts: 16
    I've test drove the 500,%the montego,love the car and price but i just don't like the engine noise,the tl,I felt was a little cramped.the cts had no room in the back seat but it was very confortable up front.I could buy any one of the avalon(06),azero(07) or the lucerne(07).I plan to jump as soon as I see a good financial incentive(hopefully a 0%in Oct.). :confuse: :confuse: What do u think of my chances? No funnig I can be very sensitive.
    I cannot get ANYTHING less than $31300 Out the Door on a 2007 Touring - JBL Synth, Moonroof, Anti-theft (PN)

Going for round 2 tomorrow!!!! :mad:

Scale of 1 - 5 (1 poor quote/ 5 great quote) How good is that?

Southern California
    Try looking in the latimes on thursday for the crown toyota ad. they have xls on special every week. there are always either 1 with 6,000 off msrp or 2 with $6,000 off msrp. Like mentioned before, I paid $27,700 before taxes and $29.6K out the door. it included the the JBL synt. system and the remote start. I liked the xls b/c it seemed a little more upscal (interior wise) as oppose to the touring. google crown toyota to find there deals on thursday.
    I gave Crown a call. They have NO 2006s in the Touring.

My best deal (and the one I am going with unless I hear otherwise) is $30292 out the door (Invoice of 27965)2007/Touring/moonroof/JBL Synth

Crown said there was no way they could get that number - oh well...

I was really trying to get under that 30K mark!!!!
    Yea, I have only seen the xls for sale on ad. Like I stated, they have had XLS on ad for the past 4 weeks. If you have your heart set on a touring then you may want to go with your deal.
  • tzuppetzuppe Member Posts: 13
    I just traded a 2006 Avalon LTD with 30,000 mi. for a 2007 of same. Here is a list of trade allowances I was offered from a number of dealers in VT,NH,MASS.
    (2007 Porsche Cayman MSRP $55,000 = $29,800 trade allow) (2007 BMW 335 MSRP $47,000 = $23,500 allow)
    (2007 Lexus GS350 MSRP $49,000 = $28,500 allow)
    (2007 Avalon LTD MSRP $35,700 = allow was $26,700 or $27,700 or $28,500)

I tried selling the 2006 thru a state wide newspaper and cars.com and was asking $27,000 and after 20 days and $180 in ad costs, I got 3 calls and no offers.

I buy a new car every yr. since I put on 30,000 to 35,000 mi. a yr. and do not want to try and trade or sell a 3 yr old car with 100,000 mi. I have had 45 new cars in the last 38 yrs. and have noticed the last 5 yrs. that trading for a new car(keeping model and MSRP the same) at a half dozen dealers, that I typically am seeing $5,000 diff. in trade allowances from those 6 dealers. This yr. I did shop Lexus & BMW in addition to Toyota. The best I have seen is the best price from the same dealer 2 yrs in a row, but never 3 yrs in a row, but typically I can not get the best price from the same dealer the next yr. The worst dealers will try and use auction books to value your trade, the next best will use Kelly Blue Book, but the best will use NADA. This is usually the source of the $5,000 diff. in allowances.

What I wind up with is a new car every yr. for $4,000 to $7,000 cash to dealer which is a $333-$583 a month over 12 months. It's similar to a lease, but I own the car and do not have any mileage limitations.
  • gwsgws Member Posts: 67
    Don't forget the opportunity cost of your investment - say, a conservative 8% X $35,700 = $2856, $238 monthly...
  • wheezer2005wheezer2005 Member Posts: 3
    I have not noticed that there are any additional holdbacks or incentives (excluding financing) that would help a Toyota dealer make me a better deal to clear their lots of 2006 inventory. And nobody in this forum seems to be doing any better or worse getting a deal on a 2006 relative to a 2007.

So is there any reason why I should try to work a deal on a 2006 in an ugly color relative to my choice from of a wider selection of 2007 inventory? I would think their might be some Toyota to dealer cash, but does anybody know how much this is? I was previously thinking about a Passat and easily found the Passat numbers ($2500 for 2.0, $3500 for 3.6L), but now I'm looking at Avalon.

Thanks - this is a great resource!
  • vagentlemanvagentleman Member Posts: 5
    I went in to look at 2006 Avalon Limited thinking I'd get a good "clearance" price. Alas, they were all gone except for a couple of demo's. One, in silver, with nav, and laser braking, stability control, etc. and 3600 miles on the odometer was offered at $33,000. (Initial offer). I told saleman I wasn't interested in nav - based on all that I've read in Edmund's formum. He offered to see what he could find in an 07 LTD equipped as I wanted (stab/traction) called back said he can get one with stability and laser braking and the price would be the same $33,000. So, is this a good deal? I figure MSR at $35,935 and invoice at $31,596.
    Rember, the dealer also gets 3% Holdback on the MSRP--so on an MSRP of $36,935 he gets $1,078 plus the $1,044 difference between the $33K you'd pay and the $31,596 invoice. I'd sure dicker more---$2,122 is a nice profit considering many dealers sell at or just above invoice as they know they have 3% holdback. I'd sure get as many quotes as I could. Good luck!
    Bob
  • rpfingstenrpfingsten Member Posts: 154
    Hello everyone...

I picked up my 07 Avalon about 3 weeks ago.. the sticker on the window listed the car at 33,320. My out the door price, including all taxes and fees was $29,414.07 Not sure how that shapes up, but from what little I've read here, I did ok. Dosn't make much difference now though does it?

Roland
    What Avalon model did you purchase and what as the dealership name and location?
    I bought the XLS.... from John Harvey Toyota in Bossier City, Lousiana
    That sounds like a good price. It's about 6,500 under MSRP.
    Woops, it's 6,500 under when you consider the sale price of about, I am assuming 27K then tack on the tax/lic. Once again, sound like a good price.
    Thought I'd update my experience. Went back to dealer, counter offered with $32,000. Salesman pulled up Edmunds on his computer(!) and showed me the TMV price for the area (over $35,000)I countered by showing him how to pull up the Forum and pointed out your message!! He came back, and offered $32,000 BUT with the delivery cost added on, the bottom line was $32,580 before prep. I pointed out his "prep fee (i.e. added profit) was $399 - a good $200 higher than other dealers in the area. He went back to "talk with his boss". The Sales manager came out and said "thanks for coming in but we are not in the business to give away cars." I thanked HIM and left. Went to another Richmond area dealer and with a little negotiation, they offered me the same car: Limited Titanium Metalic with what Toyota seems to be offeriing as one of two option packages with the Limited: Dynamic Laser Cruise Control, Stability Control and Traction Control. Along with alloy sheel locks, and the 5-piece carpet package - a MSRP of $36,153 for $32,200. I was happy and they seemed to be happy (with the possible exception of their Finance Manager who really put pressure on to buy the extended warranty and the prepaid servicing contracts. Took the car out the next day and made a 700 mile round-trip to the N.C. and VA mountains. Loved the way it drove and handled and especially loved the fact that I got over 28 MPG on the first leg of the trip and over 31 MPG on the return trip. Admittedly, I took it easy on this trip, didn't exceed 70MPH and often traveled at no more than 60MPH (it was the mountains, afterall.) All of this on regular gas which was what I was told by the salesman, and by a buddy who is a real car nut, was perfectly acceptable for this engine.
  • guestguest Member Posts: 770
    vagentleman: I got a 7 Year 75K Mile "0" Deductible FULL Coverage Toyota Warranty for $690 from Greenfield Toyota in Greenfield< Massachusetts.(413) 773 5455--tell them you got the info from this Forum. 7 Year 100K Warranty is $990--vs $1650 from my dealer in Missouri!! Tried to negogiate with my dealer (Finance Mgr)--NO WAY--thats $$$ out of his pocket!! Troy is great to work with and the warranty comes from Toyota in Cedar rapids, IA--I know, because before I read the forum I'd already bought my warranty from the dealer--Toyota refunded my money and I bought the new one from Greenfield Toyota. They want to sell many extended warranty's and with their prices--they will. People also forget about the 3% Holdback the dealer gets on the MSRP of the car---so on your $35,153 car, he made an automatic profit of $1084!! My dealer, Town & Country Motors in Sedfalia, MO was great--no "BS" prep, admin or other nonsense fees. They even undrcoat the car. Loved doing business with them--felt like i was a Rolls royce owner! Now that gas prices are down, I put 93 Octane in at $2.16 a gallon and belive it or not, I got 33.4 MPG on a trip--70+MPH--normally I get 30 MPG. For what its worth!
    Bob
    vagentleman: I got a 7 Year 75K Mile "0" Deductible FULL Coverage Toyota Warranty for $690 from Greenfield Toyota in Greenfield< Massachusetts.(413) 773 5455--tell them you got the info from this Forum. 7 Year 100K Warranty is $990--vs $1650 from my dealer in Missouri!! Tried to negogiate with my dealer (Finance Mgr)--NO WAY--thats $$$ out of his pocket!! Troy is great to work with and the warranty comes from Toyota in Cedar Rapids, IA--I know, because before I read the forum I'd already bought my warranty from the dealer--Toyota refunded my money and I bought the new one from Greenfield Toyota. They want to sell many extended warranty's and with their prices--they will. People also forget about the 3% Holdback the dealer gets on the MSRP of the car---so on your $35,153 car, he made an automatic profit of $1084!! My dealer, Town & Country Motors in Sedfalia, MO was great--no "BS" prep, admin or other nonsense fees. They even undrcoat the car. Loved doing business with them--felt like i was a Rolls royce owner! Now that gas prices are down, I put 93 Octane in at $2.16 a gallon and belive it or not, I got 33.4 MPG on a trip--70+MPH--normally I get 30 MPG. For what its worth!
    Bob
    vagentleman: I got a 7 Year 75K Mile "0" Deductible FULL Coverage Toyota Warranty for $690 from Greenfield Toyota in Greenfield< Massachusetts.(413) 773 5455--tell them you got the info from this Forum. 7 Year 100K Warranty is $990--vs $1650 from my dealer in Missouri!! Tried to negogiate with my dealer (Finance Mgr)--NO WAY--thats $$$ out of his pocket!! Troy is great to work with and the warranty comes from Toyota in Cedar Rapids, IA--I know, because before I read the forum I'd already bought my warranty from the dealer--Toyota refunded my money and I bought the new one from Greenfield Toyota. They want to sell many extended warranty's and with their prices--they will. People also forget about the 3% Holdback the dealer gets on the MSRP of the car---so on your $35,153 car, he made an automatic profit of $1084!! My dealer, Town & Country Motors in Sedfalia, MO was great--no "BS" prep, admin or other nonsense fees. They even undrcoat the car. Loved doing business with them--felt like i was a Rolls royce owner! Now that gas prices are down, I put 93 Octane in at $2.16 a gallon and belive it or not, I got 33.4 MPG on a trip--70+MPH--normally I get 30 MPG. For what its worth!
    Bob
    Thanks, Bob. Naive me, I mentioned to the Finance Manager that I knew that it was possible to get an extended warranty for less than I was being quoted. You can imagine how well that went over. He told me emphatically that many "discount" warranties that come from other dealers are not from Toyota but from a "third party" issuer and that hisdealership dealt only with Toyota backed plans. He repeated that just because it came from a Toyota dealership, this didn't make it a Toyota backed warranty.

I assume from what you are saying, the Greenfield warranty is a "real" Toyota warranty! Is this a correct assumption?

Just out of curiosity, how does the extended warranty work? In a normal insurance transaction, the insurer is betting that the "premiums" of many will offset the claims of a few and I assume the extended warranty is, basically, the same arrangement. In which case, what happens to the "premium" that you pay to Greenfield? Do they get a commission for selling the extended warranty? Does the bulk of the premium go to a Toyota holding company who, in turn, pays the Toyota repair shop for the work done? The Financial Manager at my dealership said that the reason they did not deal with "third-party" insurers is that they were unreliable and hard to get to pay up and often went out of business before the shop could collect. Just trying to determine why other dealerships wouldn't be doing what Greenfield is doing: issuing a lot of extended warranties and taking a little less from each. (At least, that's what I assume they're doing!)

Thanks again for your help on this, I saved at least $650 by not taking the original offer.
    vagentleman: It IS a Toyota Warranty--both the original from my dealer and the replacemnet (less expensive) warranty came from program administrator in Cedar Rapids, IA. What I like about the Toyota Warranty is that if your car breaks down in some remote spot in Montana, Toyota HAS to get the car to the nearest Toyota dealer! Also, if a hood strut needs replacing at say 50K miles--they replace--same with O2 Sensors. Best way to explain it--its the same as the original warranty except it goes for whatever time in year (5-7) and miles 75K-100K) you pick. I know folks will say ya get 3 years and 36K miles free---so why pay for the extended warranty up front. No matter when you buy the exteneded warranty the time starts from the "in-service" date. I figured I got 4 years and 64K miles (100K miles-36K original warranty miles)for $172.50 per year----$690 divided 4 years=$172.50. I just replaced the water pump on wife's 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd---$270--fortunately I have an extended warranty on her car w/ a $50 deductible. BTW--the Toyota Warranty is "0" Deductible!! There are many "great" After Market Warranty Programs and most pay by corporate credit card--so you have NO out of pocket expense unless you have a deductible. I figured I drive our 06 Avalon Limited about 5 years and 50-60K miles and still be able to offer the buyer a FULLY transferable 2 years and 15-25K miles--I bought the 7 year 75K warranty. MAIN reason many dealerships don't sell "reduced price" warrantys--it takes $$$$ from the Finance Managers--its a BIG part of their compensation package! Believe me, Greenfield Toyota is still making money and hoping to sell as many warrantys as they can!! Bob

X
  • nhknhk Member Posts: 4
    Congratulation with your brand new Avalon. Was $32,200 out the door price (including all taxes and fees) OR $32,200 plus ??%Tax and Lic?
  • nhknhk Member Posts: 4
    Bob:
    I am planning to use the "Costco Auto Program" to purchase 2007 Avalon LTD with the following options:
    1. DYNAMIC LASER CRUISE CONTROL;
    2. NAVIGATION SYSTEM; VEHICLE STABILITY CONTROL;
    3. PREFERRED PREMIUM ACCESSORY PKG (5-piece carpeted floor/trunk mats, cargo net, first aid kit, glass breakage sensor (POP))
    4. V.I.P. REMOTE START.

Costco offer a FLEET COMMERCIAL INCENTIVE INVOICE CREDIT $200.00

Based on their "Car Research" page, here is the cost break down:
    Invoice MSRP
    Base $29,976.00 $34,065.00
    Options $3,101.00 $4,131.00
    Destination $620.00 $620.00
    Total $33,697.00 $38,816.00

Should I offer them $33,800.00 plus tax and lic. OR $33,800.00 OTD with a trade-in of my 1992 Lexus ES300 with 115,000 miles for $3000.00(from KBB)? Suggested retail value $6,490(from KBB).

P.S.
    Vagentleman mentioned in his email that the dealer showed him the TMV price for his area. Where can I get the TMV price for my area - Phoenix, AZ?

Thanks
    You asked if the price I paid for my new 07 avalon was 33,320 out the door... no sir it was not,,, The sticker price 33,320... I was only able to negotiate 3389.00 off the price of the car, then add in tax title license and misc. fees, which amounted to nearly 2500 bucks...After you figure in my 6 grand trade in and down payment ( traded a 1992 Olds Regency Elite -- car was 15 years old, but still ran good and looked great- ) I drove the new Avalon off the lot with an out the door price of 26,386.86 Hope this helps.. So far, still loving my Avalon..
    Roland
    That was the "before" price. It did include the shipping fee ($580 in VA)which the first dealer tried to add on, but to that figure of $32,200 I had to add the sales tax (3% in VA) prep fee, license, title, etc. I recognize the fact that I am not the most savy negotiator but I was happy to get a 2007 model for almost $4,000 below MSRP!
    Thanks again, Bob. I'll be contacting Greenfield. Interestingly, the Finance Manager at my dealership told me that I had 30 days or 1,000 miles to decide whether to sign up for the extended warranty. From what you're saying, it sounds as if you can add it at any time before the original warranty expires, is this correct? VA Gentleman
  • billd3billd3 Member Posts: 3
    I too am in Virginia and bought an 06 Limited in May. The local dealer finance guy would not budge on the extended warranty and when I brought up that I had seen discussions on the internet of discounted prices, gave me the same BS about 3rd party warranties. I bought a 7yr 100 k from Greenfield and it's just as described above. My understanding is that you can do it anytime within the original warranty period, you just assume the risk of price increases. It was a good experience to deal with Greenfield. I've put about 6k miles on the car with no issues.