Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Avalon Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• glenns1939glenns1939 Member Posts: 10
    I just bought a 2007 XLS with options with FE/EJ/VS and CF for $29,500. Add sales tax @ 5% plus DOC FEE @ $165 and Rwgistry Fee of $86 in MA for a total of $31,255. This figures to be well under Invoice by $550+. Any thoughts? Glenn
  • zebra5zebra5 Member Posts: 47
    Edmunds's pricing report calculates the invoice for your model with those options at $29,663 ($29,850 if Blizzard Pearl). Regardless, your deal has encouraged me that below invoice is possible. Congrats.
  • rpfingstenrpfingsten Member Posts: 154
    Glenn... see my previous post ( post number 1245 )for a comparison... mine is also an 07 xls.

Roland
  • glenns1939glenns1939 Member Posts: 10
    Hi Zebra5- My figures using carsdirect.com with identical equipment is MSRP $33,874 (Dealer uses this price as well); Invoice $30,108 ( carsdirect.com has the same invoice price) assuming JBL package, vehicle stability/heated seats/ and carpetfloor/trunk mats comes to $4,374 discount(Dealer number) @ $29,500 final price. Edmonds doesn't calculate ad fee??? Thanks, Glenn
  • drqualitydrquality Member Posts: 7
    I physically shopped Atlanta Toyota back in 1997 or so. At that time I don't think it was yet part of United Auto Group. At THAT time, they had great deals on the CASH price. My suspicion was that if you were trading or if you were looking for good service, you might want to look elsewhere. But if you wanted the best cash price and to just drive away with it, that you were in the right place. But again, that was nearly a decade ago and things change.
  • lonnie4lonnie4 Member Posts: 11
    I replied to this because I didn't really know how to get into the forum. It has been awhile. I have a 2003 Avalon XLS. It is a beautiful car BUT my car payments are too high for me. $406.00 a month. I still owe 16,000 dollars on it yet and have 3-4 years to go yet on payments. I really want to sell it so I can just go and buy a cheaper car. This is a nice car, but I should of known better than to buy it. It also has 81,000 miles on it already.

Any advice for person like me? Believe me, I truly did my homework when it came to the type of car, just not the financial part.

Thanks. Lonnie
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,918
    There is some sort of forum for "real world trade in values" or something on those lines. However, in my opinion, it is going to be very difficult for you to get out of this vehicle. Wholesale value (what a dealer would give you) is probably around 11 - 12K with that mileage. You may get 14 - 15K if you sold it yourself, but that would still leave you "upside down" I am sure you can find a dealer willing to take it in trade and roll the difference into your other car payment, but, how much can you save? Even if you bought a 10K vehicle by the time you add 3 or 4K back in your going to be 370 - 400 a month anyway. You could always refinance this car for 5 years to lower your payment, however you'll still be paying for until its 10 years old with a lot of miles.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• lonnie4lonnie4 Member Posts: 11
    Thank you so much for replying. I had a day to think this over and realize I am stuck with this car. But I am grateful that it is a nice car to be stuck with. I just don't like the payments. I have learned a valuable lesson here. Have some money up front before buying a car if you want lower car payments. Plain and simple. Plus I bought it with too much mileage. BUt they kept telling me how many miles this car would be good for. We'll see. Before I bought the Avalon I had a Pontiac Bonneville that was the best. I traded it in because it had 100,000 miles on it. I should have held on to it for a year while saving money up. Oh well, whats done is done. Thanks.
  • swaroopdkswaroopdk Member Posts: 3
    Hi,
    Got an offer for $36,300 OTD on 2007 Avalon with Laser Cruise and Navigation. Everything except the bluetooth(which i am told will be $700 extra) What do you feel about the price...This in CA... so includes about 10% in taxes
    Thanks-
    Dan
  • tpalmer1tpalmer1 Member Posts: 19
    About this time last year, I purchased an identically-equipped Avalon Limited for $34,300 plus tax. So it sounds like you are buying at invoice or below after you figure in the taxes. It looks like a great deal. The MSRP is probably well over $38,000.
    Thanks for your input palmer. Really appreciate it. How many miles have you put on your car and any problems?

Thanks-Swaroop
  • avalon2ndavalon2nd Member Posts: 3
    Just priced up my 2007 Avalon Limited last Friday. Have about 600 miles on her and so far everything is good. Just went to Best Buy and had the cable installed for my nano and really enjoying the JBL with my music! Cost me just $155.00 for cable and installation. The dealer wimped out and would not install it.

Negotiated a good deal at 34K OTTD with laser control and VSC had molding applied to the doors. Bought her at Koons of Annapolis. Pretty much hassel free. Taking her on road trip through the Midwest so I'll update after we return :)
    CONGRATULATIONS!!! :)

Does your have the Navigation too? And how much is the taxes up in your place.

Thanks
  • tpalmer1tpalmer1 Member Posts: 19
    Swaroop,

I've put over 23,000 miles so far. No complaints at all. I've figured out the navigation system, laser cruise, etc. The navigation system is fine, but I'd make some improvements to the system. The car rides great, gets 22 mpg around town and 29 on the highway (I measure each time I fill it up). I think it is comparable to any luxury car costing twice as much. It looks nice and rides very well. The laser cruise is an incredible feature that will save your bacon on highway driving. When engaged, the car will actually stop before it allows you to rear-end a car going too slow. It's great for long trips. The air-conditioned and heated seats, rear window shade and spacious back seats are nice touches.

The Limited has all pushbuttons for starting, truck, door locks, etc. I found out the hard way that there is a trunk lock switch in the glove box in an obscure location. Apparently, one of my boys was playing in the car and pressed the switch. I thought the trunk was stuck closed (no keyhole to open it), but learned of the trunk lock switch located in the glovebox after some troubleshooting. So, the only problem I thought I had with the car was really operator/child error. I've gotten so spoiled by the pushbuttons, that I don't like driving my other cars with keys.

I understand the Avalon is marketed towards older folks (I am 41 with two small children), so it did not have a few options that I really wanted, such as a DVD system, Ipod configuration and other such things. I added all of that aftermarket, along with a backup camera integrated into the navigation system, so I have it just like I want. I had a few glitches integrating the Ipod, backup camera and DVD player (in the headrests) to the navigation system screen, but finally got it all worked out. I figure I have the a poor man's Lexus at about 1/2 of the cost of the real thing.

I'm so happy with Toyota that I will probably buy my wife a new Toyota Sienna (minivan) similarly equipped. The Avalon is a great car; Toyota quality, value, and reliability. I have a Ford Expedition and Corvette that I enjoy, but I wish they had the quality and reliability of the Avalon.
    My new Avalon does not have the NAV package we have a garmin that we received last Christmas as a gift. Read so much about issues with the nav package figured it wasn't worth the hassle.

This is my second Avalon my first is a '97 that is now our FL car and has close to 100K miles. We will us the 07 as our swing car my wife drive a Honda Accord with over 100K miles. I have owned 2 Q 45s and a J#) no more Nissans. Prefer Toyota and Honda over Nissan.
  • first_lessonfirst_lesson Member Posts: 8
    Any ideas if it is a good time to buy 07 avalon, or is it better to wait till 08's come out...Will they offer any rebates on 07 models when the 08 models are out?

Thanks!
  • aedryleaedryle Member Posts: 1
    Am looking at 2007 Avalon XLS, 9000 miles, nav, does not have heated seats. Asking price is 27999. Does this sound about right? Thanks!
  • gadriver4gadriver4 Member Posts: 15
    I think you could do better. In April I purchased a 2007 Avalon Touring Edition with no miles in Titanium Metallic with moonroof, JPL stereo, PN anti-theft, in-dash 6-disc & floor mats for $27,700 including destination (I think that's $500) but not including tax. MSRP was $32k. I used one dealership against another to get my price on the phone from home. I'm in the Atlanta area. Hope this helps.
  • jmbkljjmbklj Member Posts: 19
    I have a 2001 XL purchased Sept 2000 using only the internet, and I paid $500 over invoice (based on Edmund's invoice info). I live in central Ohio and I emailed most of the Toyota dealers in Ohio (Attention Internet Sales Manager) indicating exactly what color and options I wanted and that I was willing to pay $500 over invoice. I had no trade in and no financing - a simple straight forward deal. Several dealers did not respond at all but one immediately responded and did not quibble with my price based on $500 over invoice. The car was delivered 100 miles to my driveway, for no extra charge. It was a great car buying experience!

I am ready to buy another Avalon and am thinking of doing the same but am wondering what amount over invoice is appropriate now. Is $500 or $600 over invoice reasonable now?

Whether you bought an XL, XLS, Limited or Touring, what was your price relative to invoice? And in what state was the purchase?
  • finfin Member Posts: 594
    Bought my '07 Limited in metro Atlanta. We are covered in Toyota dealers here, probably 10 of them within 50 miles of my house. In February I paid about $500. over cost, maybe a little more, but they got the car I wanted (paid 34k for a Limited w/NAV, sticker was 37.5). Dealer sales dept price negotiation was awful (Marietta Toyota) but this is the best service in the area.

You can do a little better, probably, than I did. New ones are coming so it's time to make a deal on the 2007's. Someone who has purchased recently may have better numbers. $500. over.. sounds more than reasonable. Good luck! :)
  • gadriver4gadriver4 Member Posts: 15
    I'm the one who in April purchased a 2007 Avalon Touring (see my post above yours). I pd $27,700 incl. destination (@$500) but not incl. tax. MSRP was $32k. I believe this means I paid $1,252 below invoice. I test drove car then went online to see inventory & found one I would be happy w/then called that dealership to make offer then I also called dealership I test drove with to see what they could do. I went back & forth a bit but from home w/o pressure. Dealership I test drove w/were no hassle therefore they got my sale. I'm in the Atlanta area.
  • jhs70jhs70 Member Posts: 213
    In the market for a new Toyota? BEWARE of Jim Coleman Toyota in Bethesda, Maryland. Recently I had a horrendous experience there. The long and the short of it is that they jerked me around on my trade-in by outright lying about its condition. And it wasn’t a “minor” lie that they tried to propagate. All of this was done to lowball my trade, I am sure. Why they couldn’t come out and tell me they would only offer X for it, and leave it at that, I don’t know. No, they took it one step further and manufactured a lie, a lie which took me the better part of a day to resolve, and in the process greatly upsetting my wife and I.
    These people are scum for doing that. I just wanted you to know.
    Avoid Jim Coleman Toyota of Bethesda, Maryland.
    Update on the new 07 Avalon Limited

Just had my first oil change and 5K service. All seems to be working very well. I have noticed an excellent improvement in gas mileage. Highway miles 31+. Really pleased with the ipod connection installed by Best Buy.
  • salzbergsalzberg Member Posts: 1
    I am also in Atlanta looking for same. Please tell me which dealership you liked and purchased from? Also, what source did you use to know the profit margins for the car?
    Thanks.
  • markludmarklud Member Posts: 41
    Does anyone know if there will be any price incentives/rebates on the 07 Avalon? What are the chances of me getting near or below "invoice" prices on an 07? I live in northeast Pa.
  • cmms1cmms1 Member Posts: 14
    Can anyone share their buying experience in the DFW area on the Avalon? I'm currently in the market and has just begun my research.

THANKS!
  • bigmike2bigmike2 Member Posts: 96
    Edmunds mentions that the Toyota dealer holdback may be different in Southern states, but gives no specifics and I haven't found any more info. Does that mean Southeastern, Southwestern, or what? And what is this difference?

Thanks.

BTW, if anyone's got any tips on dealing in Houston, let me know. From the dealer's sites, it appears that Toyota is offering low APR financing here on the Touring and XL packages.
    I'm in the market for an Avalon/Azera/Camry, depending on where I can get the best value for the money.

If you look at the end of the corresponding Camry discussion on prices, I did a breakdown of the Toyota figures showing a roughly 10% decrease in sales of Camry's from June 2007 to July 2007. Sales of the small Lexus's, which I think are Camry twins, also declined about 5%.

If Avalon sales are down also, we may get some easier dealing, but I have not been able to find any breakouts of the Avalon numbers or the corresponding Lexus.

Anyone have any?
  • jddeesjddees Member Posts: 2
    They can order it plain.
  • jddeesjddees Member Posts: 2
    I ordered one from Metroplex, Nattily or Barbe they do a cost plus deal. I got a slightly lower offer from freeman $25 less but harder to work with.. Worst dealer I found is Vandergrift. Run from them
    Can you give me an idea of what you paid? I'm in Houston, but DFW ain't that far.
  • nc1nc1 Member Posts: 4
    I'm about to buy a 2008 Avalon (Limited). So I know what to offer, I'm curious what prices people are actually paying now for Avalons (relative to invoice)? On other cars, I've found that the TMV price given by Edmonds tends to be too high.

Thanks for you help.
    2008 Limited with about $1,200 in options.
    I paid $34,000 out-the-door (which includes 3% North Carolina sales tax).
  • jtb364jtb364 Member Posts: 2
    2007 XL -- $25,700, $200 below invoice (which included $300 dealer advertising cost) (another dealer 100 miles away offered $100 less not enough for the extra effort)
  • charliern9charliern9 Member Posts: 22
    I'd like information or anyone's experience regarding leasing a 2008 Limited. I got a price of 32,075 and the only extras are carpet mats for $219. and Toyoguard Protection Group for $699. The dealer hasn't worked up a lease yet because I haven't confirmed that I'm ok with that price. I just requested a second quote (different dealer) and then I may have a better idea of a good price.I'm in the Atlanta area.
  • jmbkljjmbklj Member Posts: 19
    I keep checking to see if the 2008 Avalon invoice prices have been added to the Edmunds site, but they're still not there. I'd like to see this info because I'm ready to figure out my price to offer. I'm ready to buy a 2008 Avalon. When will the 2008 sticker prices show up on the web site?
    Sounds OK to me.. paid 34.1k back in Feb for an '07 Limited with NAV, door guards, mats and Toyoguard. Yes, the dealer makes some money. If you like the car and the dealer, take it. Add only tax and tag fees, NO doc or other misc fees to be added later. I am also in metro Atlanta, got this one at Marietta Toyota after shopping 5 dealers.

A lease should use the same sales price for the car. Edmunds.com has a forum for leases but if you will post all lease numbers here someone who has leased an Avalon will probably comment. Good luck, great cars.... :)
  • smith_gwsmith_gw Member Posts: 7
    I am looking at purchasing a 2006 Blizzard Pearl Limited model. Looks like it has about every option that came with the car although there is no specs available. It is not Toyota certified, has about 10,500 miles. The asking price is $28,900. The original sticker was $39,058. Any opinions on whether this is a good price would be appreciated.
  • burlburl Member Posts: 40
  • kagnewkagnew Member Posts: 5
    I just made a deal for a 08 Limited no/gps. 36,573 retail
    29,573.00 buy with a trade. Would take 3,600 off for clean
    sale.
  • bboothbbooth Member Posts: 2
    Buying a 2008 Avalon limited with $1600 options in NC. Out the door price of 35,001. Good deal or no? My confusion comes from dealer’s calc of invoice price to include “Manufacturers Delivery and Processing of $715” and Southeast Toyota Administrative Fee of $750” and an invoice of 33,306. His sale price is “$300 over invoice.” It isn’t that much difference if you add the 2 fees in after you calculate #300 over invoice but I want to know – are those 2 items negotiable? Thanks.
    bbooth:
    I think you can do at least little better. I very recently paid $34,000 out the door for a Limited with $1200 in options in North Carolina also.

I believe the delivery charge is standard, but the administrative fee certainly is negotiable. However, it really doesn't matter; you should pay whatever the market will bear regardless of how much above or below invoice it is. Also, negotiate only in out the door terms. That way you'll avoid any confusion (unintentional or intentional) about exactly what fees are included in the price.

Also, I don't know where in NC you are, but if its not too far away, give Patterson Toyota in Mount Airy, NC a call. They gave a price that was significantly below other places I checked. Also, when you're ready to buy, call Rice Toyota's internet sales department in Greensboro and see if they'll beat the best offer you received. I've found that if salespeople truly believe you're going to buy that day then they'll make their best offer because they realize their choice is between making less money than they'd like and making no money from you. As long as you're not a jerk, they'd prefer to make a little profit rather than none.

Good luck.
  • bboothbbooth Member Posts: 2
    Well I must not be a jerk. I did buy it from Rice internet sales in G'boro and he took $200 more off. He was absolutely great to work with and I'd go to Rice's again. I live in Fayetteville. Thanks for your reply. I'm sure I'll love the car.
    I guess great minds think alike. . . .
    Congratulations on the new car.
  • polymorphpolymorph Member Posts: 1
    Here's what I'm hearing in California, tell me what you've found:
    2008 Avalon LTD
    Options Cruise ControlCL, Navigation NV, Power seat PE, Vehicle Stability Control VSC, Carpet Mats CF

Lease details:
    15k mi/year
    MSRP 38824
    Price (Cap Cost) 34650
    Residual 24mo $21499/ 36mo $19434
    Money Factor (best credit) .00285
    Acquisition Fee $550 (is this negotiable?)

+Tax, License, Doc fees ($45), CA Tire fees ($12)

Let me know what you have found.

Thanks
  • frnkrizzofrnkrizzo Member Posts: 5
    Any advice on buying an extended warranty ?
    I was quoted $1,400 for 7 years - 85,000 miles.
    It seems high.
    ANyone else out there buy an Extended Warranty for their 08 Avalon ?
    There are two dealers whose names appear frequently as good places to buy the warranty. One is in MA and the other in KS. Wait for someone to post the names, buy from one of them... or search on extended warranty. Better deals are available, yes, your quote is high.
  • just__mejust__me Member Posts: 508
    I just bought my new Avalon Desert Mica Sand and believe I got a great price for an XLS. I paid $200 over invoice and including the cargo mat and and floor mats I paid before tax etc., $28,689. I also had to pay an additional $750 for southern distribution bringing the price to $29,439 (Dealer chatrging me $29,401). I'm trading in my 05 XLS and I got $21,000 for it, it was in excellent condition with 46 thousand plus miles. That's more then Kelly shows on tradde in and more than Edmonds. I'm posting the price so some of you have an idea as to price. I will add the side moldings at a later date. The dealer is also taking off my mud guards and putting them on the 08 for no charge. This also includes 3 free oil changes.

I believe I have an excellent deal, and the sales manager felt he owed me due to some favors I did for him over the last couple of years.
  • geo123geo123 Member Posts: 33
    I noticed that Toyota charges an extra $220 for the Avalon in white(Blizzard Pearl). Is it because white is a popular color or what? What is Toyota's offical line?

Thanks,

George
    Several posts from years past indicate the Blizzard Pearl paint is applied differently from the other colors. Perhaps sprayed an extra time with something special to make the finish look a little different, which it does if you look carefully at the paint surface. Extra expense means the customer pays a little more..... ;)