Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Avalon Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• tamone1tamone1 Member Posts: 5
    Just bought a Cassis Pearl (Burgundy color) 2008 XLS with following options: Power and heated driver/passenger seats, JBL sound system, VSB, floor and cargo mats, wheel locks. The MSRP was $34,331 and I bought it for $29,500 +TTL making total price $31,596. What a comfortable ride for my 100 mile daily commute.
  • rpfingstenrpfingsten Member Posts: 154
    tamone1

Congrats on the new Avy.. that's a pretty color on that car too, I have an 07XLS and when I was in the market, there were three colors that caught my eye, the blizzard pearl, cassis pearl and Indigo Ink ( dark blue ) It really came down to 2, the cassis pearl or the indigo ink and I chose the blue.. But it was a hard decision for me.. I've always kind of thought of that cassis pearl as almost a deep burgandy color... really looks good on that body style. Hope you enjoy your avy as much as we enjoy ours.

Roland
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,852
    That looks like about $500 under invoice. Nice deal!

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• edmund2460edmund2460 Member Posts: 293
    You'll have to do every service they recommend including 'engine clean', in other words unnecessary things to qualify.
  • smiles33smiles33 Member Posts: 8
    I emailed every dealership within 100 miles and negotiated a 2008 Avalon XL down to $25,405.00. This is for my retired parents. However, I couldn't go into the dealership with them because of my 2 year old's bedtime, so my parents ended up succumbing to the Finance Mgr's hard-sell and bought a $1800 extended warranty and $1300 service package. I even EXPLICITLY told them not to buy anything extra, but they told me, "Oh, now we don't have to worry about anything for 7 years and the Finance Manager said we don't have to pay tax on it." ARGH!

I'm LIVID. I called my internet sales guy and left a message, then emailed him explaining my frustration w/the Finance Manager's hard sell and asking him to help me cancel it, and also plan to go down there today after work (with my kid in tow) to get them to cancel the plan. I also asked for a faxed copy of the contract to see exactly what our cancellation options are. I am kicking myself for letting them go alone. I should have just kept my kid up late one night, I guess.

Just wanted to post to warn others. If you negotiate on behalf of someone else, don't let them go alone! I feel like I led some lambs to slaughter. My poor trusting parents!
  • finfin Member Posts: 594
    Your experience is not uncommon at some dealerships. But the extended warranty is not all bad if they plan on keeping the car for many years. What is bad is the price. You can buy the warranty from any dealership. Search for Toyota of Greenfield... probably half price if you still want the product. Good luck, great cars.. on my third! :)
  • smiles33smiles33 Member Posts: 8
    Thanks, fin. I know extended warranties make sense for them as they know nothing about cars (nor do I) and do drive their cars into the ground. Their current car is a 91 Mercedes!

I already got a message from Troy at Greenfield for $695 for 7 yr/75K/$0 deductible warranty extension and the pre-paid premium service 4 year/55K mile "coupons" for $875.

I did a search and didn't find much data on the pre-paid service. My mom wants the "peace of mind" of knowing prices won't increase on her. Is this worth it?
    Glad you found a warranty extension at a reasonable price. The dealership name shows up frequently on this board just for that reason. There are others but Greenfield is as low as any so far as I know. Never bought one really as we trade every 4 years at about 90k miles.. never had a problem that would make it worthwhile. But past 4 years, you begin to ask for problems, especially with the electronics and it can get expensive. Good decision.

The prepaid things, I don't know about. But around here (GA), 11 oil and filter changes is $330. The air filter is $30. more. Add a cabin filter for $25. Transmission fluid change at $100. And all of this happens in 55k miles. Add in an alignment or two, if it's in the package, and you can almost hit the $800. mark. Study the included items carefully, then decide. Other members may have experience with this. Again, good luck with a quality car... :)
  • riley3riley3 Member Posts: 29
    I just purchased a 7yr/75000 mile Platinum Toyota Warranty for my '05 Avalon Ltd for $645 as it nears its 3 yr birthday. Bought it from Neill Hull at Molle Toyota in Kansas City, MO. I normally do not buy extended warranties but this gives me 4 extra yrs (or 50,000 miles in my case) coverage. Main concern is electronics like the navigation. Neil makes the transaction simple and easy, no pressure.
  • 35divg235divg2 Member Posts: 15
    FYI: The lowest quote so far in Missouri for a 2008 Avalon Limited w/o the navigation system. Here are the specs:

$32,200

2008 Toyota Avalon Limited
    Metallic Gray or Desert Sand Mica
    3.5-Liter V6, Limited, 6-Speed Automatic
    Option A
    50 state emissions
    8-way power passenger seat with power lumbar support
    Vehicle Stability Control (VSC) [12] with Traction
    Control (TRAC) and Brake Assist [13] [VS]
    Body side molding (BM)
    Wheel locks (alloy) (WL)
    Mudguards (DI02)

Does anyone know if the Costco program offers good pricing? I negotiated this by e-mailing several dealers.
  • pk256pk256 Member Posts: 1
    Simi Valley, California. 2008 Avalon Limited with Dynamic Laser Cruise Control, Nav, Blizzard Pearl, Power Passenger Seat, VSC, TRAC, Carpet Mats, Remote Engine Starter - sticker 39,573 - paid 34,102. They initially offered 6,000 for my 2004 Camry XLE with 78,000 miles trade but ended up with 8,500. Negotiated hard, headed for the door several times. Was at the dealer for 5 hours! I felt like I got a great deal in the end. Salesman told me they only sell maybe 1 Avalon Limited a month.
  • blueempireprinblueempireprin Member Posts: 2
    I am looking to purchase a Toyota Limited in southeastern MA. Has anyone purchased one recently in MA and if so, from what dealerships? Although I do not want navigation control, I do desire most of the other options. Would you please relate your experiences and what you paid for your options and the car itself?
  • blueempireprinblueempireprin Member Posts: 2
    I am looking to purchase a Toyota Limited in southeastern MA. Has anyone purchased one recently in MA and if so, from what dealerships? Although I do not want navigation control, I do desire most of the other options. Would you please relate your experiences and what you paid for your options and the car itself?
    I spec'd out an '08 Avalon Limited loaded except the navigation system, in the Kansas City area for about $32,200. I haven't bought it yet because I don't return from my overseas deployment until later this month. All of the KC dealers made offers ranging from $33,500 to MSRP. Same with St Louis dealers. I found a dealer in St Joseph MO, 50 miles north of KC that quoted the $32,200. When I go to make the deal, I'm going to try and get it below $32K or have about $500 worth of extras thrown in. My goal is $31,500 out the door. I figure I have the advantage because these cars are not selling. Also, I plan to try the Costco sales club car pricing service, too.
  • cmms1cmms1 Member Posts: 14
    I'm looking to purchase a 2008 Toyota Avalon-Limited. Can the buyers in the Dallas-Forth Worth area share your purchasing experiences and prices?
  • williewonksterwilliewonkster Member Posts: 1
    I wish to purchase an extended warranty for my 2005 Avalon XLS Sedan which has 31,200 miles on it. I live in So. California and have found dealer prices around $1800---want to do better than that. Any suggestions? Willie
    This is an often discussed question in the Avalon forums. You may buy from any Toyota dealer. Use the search box (search on extended or warranty) to find a lot of choices in the various discussions or take a more simple route and call Toyota of Greenfield in MA. Their number is on their website along with a contact name. They sell a lot of warranties and price is the reason. Under $1k is likely. There are others certainly, but this is good place to shop based on many posts on these boards. Good luck. Enjoy your Avy. :)
  • jackyjacky Member Posts: 2
    Please tell us which dealer you bought it from. Thanks
  • safari1safari1 Member Posts: 2
    Roseville Toyota tried Folsom, sales mgr. Rhag, told me if I could get this price buy it! Called back after sale and said he'd match, told him I didn't work that way. Roseville seems to be more straight
  • mikes.mikes. Member Posts: 337
    An area dealer has an 08 Limited fully loaded that was the GM's demo car. It has about 6,800 miles on it. But still considered new since it's never been registered.

MSRP on the car is 34,814. They are offering it to me for 33,100.

Does this sound like a good deal to you all?

Another dealer is offering the same exactly equipped car, different vin, for 33,778.
  • edochoa1edochoa1 Member Posts: 1
    Well I want to know if I received a good deal for our Limited. I just purchased our new 2008 Avalon Limited with everything. VSC, Remote start, set of floor mats, Nav system, and the Dynamic Cruise control. Oh and the wheel locks. We paid $35500 +TTand L.

MSRP on the car was $39900. What do you guys think?
  • fool1717fool1717 Member Posts: 8
    I just bought a new 2008 Avalon Limited with the following options:
    * Vehicle Stability Control
    * Navigation
    * XM Satellite
    * Carpet Mats
    * Park Pilot
    * Dynamic Laser Cruise Control
    * Power Passenger Seat

MSRP = $40,037 -- Invoice = $34,983
    My Price = $35,202 + TT&L
    ($4,835 below MSRP, 88% of MSRP -- $219 over Invoice, 0.6% more)

Buying Process: Contacted 15 Houston area Toyota dealers, initially via the Internet, describing my desired vehicle and asking for a quote. Continued email exchanges with the few dealers who gave a decent quote on a vehicle close to my specs. Talked with a few of them on the phone. For a time my best quote was about $36,500. When I talked with the Internet rep from Community Toyota in Baytown, I told her that I had received some fair quotes, but was still looking for a quote that said the dealership really wanted my business. She replied with the $35,202 quote that I accepted. I gave three other dealers the opportunity to beat that price, and none could.

Some things I learned:
    * The Internet rep I dealt with at Community apparently does not office at the dealership. I don't know how common that is. When I visited the dealer the first time, the people there had to confer with her to confirm the price she quoted. To their credit, the dealership honored the quote.
    * The State of Texas levies an Inventory Tax to dealers of about 0.2%. On this vehicle the charge amounted to about $80. Just about all dealers pass on that charge to the buyer, but it is actually a negotiable item. I wasn't able to remove the charge or get them to reduce the $35,202 to compensate. Maybe you'll have better luck.
    * The current panic over gas prices has greatly devalued the trade-in value of larger vehicles. Don't expect to get anywhere near the trade-in value you see on Edmunds or any other publication. On the other hand, smaller fuel-efficient vehicles are in such great demand these days that (one would think) their trade-in value should exceed book values.
  • shrimpyshrimpy Member Posts: 5
    Sounds like a great deal. My mom bought back in April a limited like you are describing for $38,000.00 out the door. This was at Ron Carter in Alvin Tx. It windowed for $41,603.xx (I believe).

She looked at and drove several different Avalons the month before, walked in, picked out a color, and made an offer. They countered, she said no thanks and left. This was at 3:00 pm. At 6:00 pm they called her back and said if you will take delivery tomorrow, we will let it go out the door for $38,000.00 even. She said deal!!! She was paying cash, but ended up with 1/2 cash, and 1/2 36 months 0% I believe.

Good job.
    A few posts ago I asked about a deal I was offered. I took it and ran. 33,100 for a fully loaded 08 LTD with 6,800 miles on it. Nav, laser cruise, 8-way passenger seat...

We got to that price then worked the trade-in. Fully loaded 05 LTD, 60k miles with several paint chips, an 8" scratch on the L passenger door and a place on the trunk where an antenna for a HAM radio had been and caused the paint to wear to bear metal. I still owed 8,700 on it. They were firm at 16K. I took it.

So with all this I wind up with a new car for a payment increase of 40 bucks.

This is the 2nd Avalon I've bought from Younger Toyota in Hagerstown, Md. They treat you well.

MikeS.
  • mevander1mevander1 Member Posts: 43
    That is a HORRIBLE deal and I have never used caps before this on here. It is a used car and hence should be priced as such. If the MSRP is 34,814, I bet a a new, less than 100 miles one can be had for 31800. at most.
  • mevander1mevander1 Member Posts: 43
    Anyone buying Avalon over invoice is not getting a good deal. There are factory incentives plus every Avalon (every car for that matter) has something called holdback, hence the dealer makes money with a car sold at invoice. Best times to shop are end of month.
    I just bought a new 08 Avalon Limited...all options except Dynamic Cruise and DVD Nav. I added VIP Security, mudguards, wheel locks and 7/100K warranty. .paid $33K out the door. 0% for 36 months.

Paid $15 for the Consumer Reports price list and negotiated from the CR listed cost. I went to Costco and tried their buying service, which was not very helpful. Costco "no haggle" price was $500 over invoice. I negotiated for a better price by pitting Toyota dealers against each other.

I recommend Molle Toyota in Kansas City MO. They did not play the stupid salesmen games with me like some of the other dealers in the KC area.
  • akinakin Member Posts: 24
    What kind of interest rate is Toyota offering on the Avalon's now?
    I was offered "their best" of 4.8. I went with my CU @ 4.3%
    In the Kansas City area Toyota offers 0% for 36 months until 2 Sep. I guess it varies by region.
  • akinakin Member Posts: 24
    In NY / NJ area there are no interest rate incentives and no rebates on the Avalon.
  • spt3spt3 Member Posts: 6
    Hi...I'm new to the site and was wondering if anybody could help with a few questions. .I am interested in buying the touring....with moonroof, VSC, heated seats and anti-theft...has anyone purchased one recently in the NY,NJ,CT or MA area? I wanted to find out what others were paying. Also do you think there will be any incentives on the 2008 before the 2009 come out or am I better off waiting until next month? (the best price I got so far is 29,451 before tax, title,tags and doc fee of 299) And to those who own a touring...how do you like it? Any issues or complaints? Thanks in advance! :)
  • hoopla1991hoopla1991 Member Posts: 10
    The Touring model is being dropped for '09, with the XL, XLS and Limited trims remaining, so you won't likely get a better price by waiting much longer - they'll be gone.
    I recently purchased a 2008 Toyota Avalon Limited. I did a lot of research before stepping foot in the dealership. The following worked well fo me:

1. Paid $15 for Consumer Reports new car price guide for the Avalon. It gave me a price from which to begin negotiating. It also listed the $700 dealer hold back which I did not see listed any where else in my research. The Edmunds TMV was helpful, too.

2. I live in Kansas City and we have many Toyota delaerships. I shopped most of them on line to try and get a quote. It gave me an idea how much to expect to be quoted at the dealership. I shopped Toyota delaers in outlying communities (100 miles away) and that's how I got a low ball price. I shopped St Louis dealers, too and found they were on par with KC prices. This is time consuming and it's frustrating dealing with sales reps whose objective is to get you in the dealerrship.

3. When I decided to chose a dealer, I used the Costco car buying service. I found out that I could do better on my own than the Costco $600 over invoice. I made my offer to the sales rep and it was accepted. Services like Costco are for those who do not like to negotiate. It's not that the price is that great but it makes the buyer feel good about the price w/o having to play the silly games at the dealership.

Bottom Line: research and knowledge gives you an advantage over walking in cold

It helps to have good credit and it helps that the Avalon is a slow seller and that Toyota sales are down, overall. These all contributed to my good deal.
    Congratulations on your new Avalon. Can you tell us the details of your deal?

I live in Houston and recently bought an Avalon Limited, but seriously considered making the purchase in the KC area. On checking dealer inventories on the Internet, it seemed there was lots of availability there and the negotiating process appeared to be somewhat more reasonable than in Texas. Also the cars weren't loaded with the frivolous packages (fabric guard? lusterizing sealant?) that are all too common in Houston because everything here goes through the Gulf States distributorship.

Ultimately, I found a car in Houston with the features I wanted (and nothing extra) at a semi-reasonable price. For details see message #1376 here => link title.
  • jamesewellsjamesewells Member Posts: 6
    Just closed the deal on a Blizzard Pearl2009 Avalon XLS.
    Base- 32145.00
    Power pass. seat 740.00
    Special Color 220.00
    Carpet mats & trunk mat 269.00
    Manuf. Chg. 775.00
    Dealer Fee 499.00
    Total MSRP $34648.00
    Invoice- 31033.00 incl. $925.00 admin
    Paid 31032.00

Awaiting delivery...
  • jhk76jhk76 Member Posts: 12
    Looking at purchasing one through a dealership here in Raleigh NC. Has 8k miles and has Nav. They are quoting me 35,990. i know that is high. what price range should i look for? thanks and here are features:

4 Wheel Disc Brakes,ABS,Air Conditioning,Alloy Wheels,AM/FM Stereo,Auto Climate Controls,Auto Headlight On/Off,Auto Sensing Airbag,Bucket Seats,Center Arm Rest,Child Safety Locks,Clock,Compact Disc Player,Cruise Control,Cup Holders,Curtain Air Bags,Daytime Running Lights,Driver Information System,Dual Zone Climate Control,Fog/Driving Lamps,Front Reading Lights,Fuel Door Release,Heated Seats,HomeLink System,Intermittent Wipers,Keyless Entry,Leather,Lighted Entry System,Low Tire Pressure Warning,Lumbar Support,Map Pocket,Memory Seats,Mirror Compass,Multiple Airbags,Navigation System,Outside Temperature Display,Overhead Airbag,Power Door Locks,Power Mirror,Power Outlet,Power Steering,Power Sunroof,Power Windows,Rear Defrost,Rear Fold Down Seat,Rear Side Air Bags,Reclining Seats,Remote Key Pad Entry,Remote Trunk Release,Steering Wheel Audio Controls,Tachometer,Tilt Wheel,Tinted Glass,Vanity Mirror,Window Lock,Wood Grain Trim,Wood Steering
    Looks like the only option on your Limited is the Nav system. I ran it through the Kelley Blue Book site, and it gave a dealer asking price of $31,210, which they say "is the starting point for negotiation between a consumer and a dealer."
    $35K is outrageous. In July I bought new 08 Limited w/o NAV and w/o Dynamic Cruise Control (but with everything else) for $33K and that's with a 7 year/100K mile extended warranty. Offer the dealer $30K and cite that you can buy the aforementioned car at Molle Toyota In Kanas City MO.
  • bbrimmerbbrimmer Member Posts: 32
    Just quoted $29,834 which also included wheel locks as well. With the financing or $1K cash back thru 9/30 it may be the right time to buy. 09 sounds virtually the same with VSC and better head rests.
    just found out they are way upside down on the one mentioned above and they said not to think about buying that one.

they are now offering me a Limited without navigation, but with everything else for 32k plus TTL. sound like a deal?
  • dpullen4dpullen4 Member Posts: 12
    Details-51k miles, clean carfax, light sage green color, looks flawless, w/ navigation for $16,500. It's amazing how many 2005 Limited models are being listed for $22k with 35k miles on them.
    Got out the door with the White one brand new without DVD etc but had the 8 way option added. Paid 32,999 all included but no warranty. guy may have been pulling my leg(business mgr who says yes or no), but actually showed me what little they would make off of me on his computer which was little to none. felt like i got a pretty good deal.
  • alofaalofa Member Posts: 2
    Does that amount include taxes and tags?
    yes
  • alofaalofa Member Posts: 2
    Wow, sounds like you got a good deal. I did some research, and used Carmax as a comparison, and today I just bought a new Avalon Limited 08, blizzard white, with Nav, dynamic cruise, stability control, 8 way adjustiable passenger seat; MSRP was $39,095.00 for $34,000, this did include freight, but not including TTL. Not sure that was a great deal, but it was the best I could find here in Maryland.
  • targheetarghee Member Posts: 2
    I bought a nearly new 2008 Toyota Avalon XLS for $26,795 that was equipped with heated front seats, sun roof, JBL stereo system at the Don Joseph dealership in Kent, Ohio. I don't know whether it was a great buy or not; I looked at several new 08s XLSs that were on the lots and their sticker price was usually in the $34,000 range. The vehicle I bought was used at the dealership as a rental and all service of the vehicle was done at the dealership; The people there were upbeat and friendly and nice to deal with. My trade which was a 12 year old chevy blazer was a bit of a laugh, and they said they could not put it on their lot but knew others who might take it. On the way home I took the turnpike and got 31.5 mpgs versus 15 mpgs in my old blazer. A good feeling.
  • targheetarghee Member Posts: 2
    I had to pay sales tax to my state and a $250.00 doc fee ; I also paid an extra $1075.00 for a 6 yr, 100,000 mile for Toyota's premium service agreement. Covers everything on the car. Since I am getting older, I thought it would be a good thing for the wife should I not be around.
  • bobo5727bobo5727 Member Posts: 11
    Hi,
    I live in Cleveland and saw your message. Did you start out looking of a new 08? I am looking for an 06- 07 Avalon. More in the $$$ range I can aford. Any input on their used car selection? Did you compare the Avalon to a Camry or just look at the Avalon?

Thanks,

B
  • mano3mano3 Member Posts: 8
    Hi,
    First post here but I've been enjoying reading these fora for several months now. I never intended to buy an Avalon because I was looking for a Camry. In March my Diamante ES was dying and I told my bro-in-law, who wholesales cars, to start looking for a Camry. He told me a mutual friend of ours had an Avalon for sale at a good price.

1. 2007 Limited with Voice activated nav, Dynamic Laser Cruise Control and traction control. I believe that's all the options available on the LTD?
    2. 1,686 miles
    3. Blue Mirage Metalic
    3. $25,000

This is my first upscale/luxury car (Diamante is NOT a luxury car, especially the LE base model) and I love it. It's a pleasure to drive the four miles to work every day and if it weren't for the price of gas I'd look for more reasons to drive it. I plan to keep it until it dies, so I'll probably buy an extended service package.

Thanks for letting me gloat!