Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Avalon Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• rpfingstenrpfingsten Member Posts: 154
    Mano3...

Be looking over your shoulder when you're out driving your new Avalon...surely the cops are looking for you for "grand theft auto". wow, what a deal. did you say the car had less than 1700 miles on it and you bought it for 25k. You stole that car!. Given there's nothing wrong with it, and there shouldn't be, you got an excellent deal.. afterall the 07 limited "new" was somewhere between 35 and 38K... and with only 1700 or less miles on it, that is still a "brand new" car. Congratulations and enjoy you Avalon...We love ours. Only complaint I have is in cool weather, there's a "cold wx" rattle that has do due with the mechanism in the sunroof. and even that's not a big deal because as soon as the heater warms up the interior of the car, the rattle stops. And living in Louisiana means there aren't that many cold weather months... again congrats on your car. What color is it?

Roland
  • sleepydollsleepydoll Member Posts: 2
    Hello all.. I have to first say this and buying a house have been the most stressful shopping experiences of my life. I'll be 36 in a couple of weeks and this is my first time buying a car from a dealership.
    I won't ramble about it here.(I'll see if there's another thread on rambling and will post me exp there)..
    This took place this past Sunday evening.. They're suppose to call back to see if they can get me a better rate.(they said they got 8.99 ) not sure through who though they are guesstamating worse case scenario.. :confuse:

Ok this is what they had on the site..

07 Avalon XLS - 6100miles
    Retail Price$26,650.00(from their website)
    Special Price$24,650.00(from their website)

Now this is what the paper work says..

Cash Price (including $772.44 sales tax) = $26121.40
    Cash down - $2000 ( was suppose to be TTT plus a little extra)
    Unpaid balance $24121.40

Now the added stuff
    life = $718.36
    disability = $1499.87
    GAP = $600
    Gross rec tax?? = $52.10
    Gov tax not included in cash price = $72.48
    Lic/reg fees = $48.75
    Title fees = $10.00
    Serv contract = $2500
    Road Hazard fee(tires and windshld) = $399
    processing fee = $399
    Total charges and amounts paid to others on your behalf = 6299.56

Amount financed = 30421.00 :confuse:

Somewhere in there is some protective coating for the interior and exterior with a 5yr warranty

And it wasn't a limited it's an XLS.. and it has 8143miles on it.

I never want to do this again.. :cry:

But I do like the car :)
  • fool1717fool1717 Member Posts: 8
    Hi sleepydoll. Buying a car can be very stressful, can't it. And I'm afraid they may have got you.

I can't comment on the top-line price because you didn't list the options on the vehicle. But if the Special Price was $24,650 and you add the sales tax of $772.44, that's a total of $25,422.44, not $26,121.40.

Then there's the "added stuff." It looks like the TT&L charges are $52.10 + $72.48 + $48.75 + $10.00 = $183.33. With maybe a document processing fee of an additional $50-$75, that's about all you should be paying additional. You don't need life or disability insurance. What's GAP? -- I suspect it means something like "Gross Additional Profit" -- they added $600 just because they thought you'd pay it. You probably don't need a service contract (if you do, $2,500 is way too expensive), and you don't need the road hazard protection. The processing fee is way excessive. You don't need any protective coating either.

Even if you signed all the papers, I believe there is a 3-day right of recission for consumer purchases. If I were you, I'd exercise that right to eliminate as much of the "added stuff" as you can. Try to find a friend or family member who has dealt with car dealers in the past to help you out.

Congratulations on finding a quality vehicle. Good luck in getting a quality deal on it.
  • sleepydollsleepydoll Member Posts: 2
    Hello, Thank you for responding.. I actually went back to the dealership today and I explained the samething you said about the numbers not adding up..And expressed the fact that I really didn't need all that extra stuff..

So I got rid of all the extra stuff and the GAP was the GAP insurance incase anything happens (God forbid) and the car is totaled they pay it off and they pay any deductable as well as the interest paid. But I dropped it all. And the interest rate on the new contract is a little over a point less... So I end up financing..

$24631.29

I feel better with that when I look at it compared to some of the other cars in the area.. And when I did the appraisal in Edmunds it's a little under.. So I don't feel as bad as I did.. :)
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    I like stories with happy endings.. :)

Smart move!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• mano3mano3 Member Posts: 8
    rpfingsten,

It's Blue Mirage Metalic and thanks for the validation! You're right, the car was essentially brand new and the sticker was $38,200. I fully appreciate the amazing deal I got because at the same time a friend purchased a Camry for more than what I paid for the fully loaded Avalon LTD. Almost seven months later it only has 7,100 miles on it.
  • fool1717fool1717 Member Posts: 8
    Excellent job, sleepydoll! You deserve to feel better. Enjoy your Avalon (and the lower payments).
  • bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    Has any one used the American Express buying service that guarantees to save buyers an average of $750 on a new car purchase? I am not sure if that savings is off MSRP or the average transaction price.

The promotion came in the mail and it does not show how much the service cost but the average savings seems low. Perhaps most buyers could do better on their own, but then again, there are buyers who hate to haggle.
  • zengdehezengdehe Member Posts: 3
    I am thinking about buying either Touring or XLE '08 or '09 model and would like to have a rough idea on how much the price will be? Thought I have seen on newspaper ad weeks back that some dealers were selling Touring model for around $22K...

I live in Dallas.

Thanks a million!!
  • cbustocbusto Member Posts: 1
    Hi, First poster here. I've owned 2 Avalons thus far....a 2000 XLS and a 2006 XLS. I Loved both of them. I'm looking now at a 2009 Limited fully loaded with Nav, etc. BUT....it was the General Manager's car and has about 7,600 miles on it.

My question to this group......how much of a discount --- OVER AND ABOVE what I would normally expect to get on this car with 0 miles on it, should I expect to see? MSRP was $39,417.....and the first offer they gave me was $2k discount plus a whopping $880 off for the mileage bringing the price to about $36,500 which according to Edmunds is what any joe blow should expect to see on a brand new car. I laughed at them and walked out.

Now, they're calling me back and wanting to deal. So......what sort of extra price breaks should I expect for a demo car with this kind of mileage? I haven't a clue!
  • shrimpyshrimpy Member Posts: 5
    My Mom bought in April, Limited with everything but headrest DVD, sticker was $41,6XX. She paid $38,000 even OUT THE DOOR. That was in mid April. Market has changed DRASTICALLY. Deal with them on an out the door basis. Offer what you are comfortable with out the door (OTD). You can back figure taxes and fees. Moms car was discounted over $6,000 off of window. Edmunds, at the time said, around $37,750 plus TT&L. She loves the car.

I would offer $29,000 OTD, NO MORE THAN $31,000 OTD. Also tell them you want the top of the line Toyota warranty throw in at what ever price you choose. Just my opinion, I have not been keeping up with prices.
  • jamesewellsjamesewells Member Posts: 6
    I just bought a 2009 XLS, window sticker $34,800 for $30,800 and I probably could have done a little better but was tired of bargaining. This was at the end of August. I love the car and only wish the suspension was a little more firm. BTW, the Touring model is discontinued.
  • 35divg235divg2 Member Posts: 15
    I purchased a new car identical to the one you are looking at minus the DVD Nav and Laser Cruise Control (figure they are worth $3K). I added a $100K warranty and paid a total of $33K. I would hold firm to $34K and ask for the 100K warranty at no extra charge. Toyota sales are down and you are in a buyers market.
  • calidave28calidave28 Member Posts: 1
    Hello,

Just purchased a 2008 Avalon Touring for $27,700 (not including TTL).

Has the following options:
    Vehicle Stabilty Control
    Heated Seats
    Moonroof
    Anti-theft System

MSRP was $32,400

One thing to note, the $1,000 rebate was applied after the sales tax was added in. I didn't realize that's how the rebates worked. Not a big deal but good to know when you are doing your pre-sales calculations.

OTD price was $30,400 (hefty 8.625% NY sales tax)
  • nceencee Member Posts: 419
    Hi. I purchased a 2008 Touring Avalon in Black, for $29,500.00 TOTAL. All taxes, paperwork / transportation, Document Administration, state sales tax and other fees they could add on.

Emerson Toyota, Auburn, Maine. The car was a dealer swap. And they have NO Avalons in stock at this time. A LT of Doctors, Lawyers and others in Maine, are purchasing Avalons, and saying NO to the Lexus. They say, they can use the savings to go on vacation or to purchase a camp, and in one case, I know a doctor who purchased a Camry for their daughter as a graduation gift. And between both cars, it was a few hundred LESS then the Lexus he was looking at.

The sticker price was $33,000.00

The car came with:

Heated seats
    Sun / Moon Roof
    Carpeted Floor mats Front and Rear
    Rear Spoiler
    6 CD changer

I love the car, and have since been called by several dealers where I was looking to see if I purchased a new car yet. They all said about the same thing - "Why didn't you let us know, we could have beat that price"! It's easy to beat the price, when you don't have to, or after it's to late.

Now if they would have made me a nice offer in the beginning I would have likely purchased a Limited Edition model, as they seem to have some other great goodies with them.

Oh well, maybe I'll just have to trade-up (boy or boy, would my wife KILL me:).

Skip
  • iamknottiamknott Member Posts: 82
    I have noticed recently that the Toyota dealers in Central Ohio are running big newspaper ads listing discounts and/or low-rate financing on every model except Avalons. Does anyone have any thoughts on why? I assume that their inventories of unsold Avalons are low. Is this because the Avalons are selling well or because Toyota doesn't make many of them in the first place? I'd do the research myself, but I don't have access to production or sales figures by model.
  • DeLaLumpDeLaLump Member Posts: 2
    December 2008 Avalon sales are down a whopping 57% vs. Dec. 07. That's a bigger drop than pretty much anything with Toyota badge. Worse even than the dreaded SUVs (except the Land Cruiser.)

I suppose Toyota doesn't want to sacrifice Avalon's premium image to short term sales goals.
  • traindrivertraindriver Member Posts: 328
    My F-I-L- just purchased a 2009 XLS with a MSRP of $34,628. Total OTD was $31,900. Taking out sales tax of $300, total for the car and all other fees would be roughly $31,600. (SC tax is capped at $300 for automobiles) Carsdirect.com #'s number was $32,2xx. plus tax, tag, etc. FWIW.
  • BillyBob60BillyBob60 Member Posts: 5
    Traindriver. What dealership in SC did you do business with? Thanks.
  • traindrivertraindriver Member Posts: 328
    Ballentine Toyota
    Greenwood, SC
  • saj2saj2 Member Posts: 3
    Hello All,

I am in the market for a gently used Avalon and have found an 08 Avalon LTD, with all options, for 26k OTD. This car is black on tan with 18k miles. Is that a good deal in this market, especially in TX region?
  • shrimpyshrimpy Member Posts: 5
    Not a bad deal, but I would shoot for 24K OTD. Dealers (not all) are desperate to sell cars. The end of the month is coming up, so play your cards carefully and you could get a couple of grand more off. If it is at a Toyota dealer, get their best price then have them throw in a TOYOTA Warranty good for 125,000 miles, with a zero to $100 deductible.

If you already have financing set up, or have cash, make them an OTD offer and say you will do the deal RIGHT NOW. You may be suprised at what they will take.........

P.S. Where in Texas are you?
    JIm
  • eddieraseddieras Member Posts: 49
    anyone have any ideas as to upcoming incentives in March??
  • saj2saj2 Member Posts: 3
    This car was available at a Jeep dealership in Frisco TX. They started with 25900 and finally ended up paying 26300 OTD. They would not budge since the rest of the limiteds are priced much higher in the entire DFW metroplex. I tried to offer 25500 and they were letting me walk.

Since they are not a Toyota dealership, i was unable to get any warranty or other toyota accessories from them.

Thanks for your help. Do you know where i can get genuine all weather floor mats for this car for a great price along with body side molding?
  • nimiminimimi Member Posts: 249
    Anythingtoyota.com has great prices, however, you have to call and mention the internet ad. They're Mike Calvert Toyota in Houston.
  • jbrad721jbrad721 Member Posts: 3
    Currently looking at XLS or Limitedi n NJ. Anyone with recent purchase experience that can share how they ended up?
  • bobgwtwbobgwtw Member Posts: 187
    A dealer can sell you the side moldings. They sould be around $200. installed; and they really change the looks of the car; I've had 5 or 6 Avalon owners ask where I got mine.

Weather tech is a good source for the mats.
  • bagguettebagguette Member Posts: 2
    I just bought an 09 XLS for 28,200 OTD not including tax with 16,000 miles on it. No Nav, no heat/cool seats or laser cruise.This was Cherokee Toyota in Atlanta.

It was hard finding a used 08 or 09 or even a new one.

I didn't want the nav or the heat/cool so it was perfect.
  • 06graylimited06graylimited Member Posts: 29
    Would anyone care to share their experience regarding how much dollar/percent discount they got on '09 Limited new or slightly used demonstrator? I would appreciate your input.
  • coldh2ocoldh2o Member Posts: 6
    A Toyota dealer has a 2008 Avalon Touring with 400 miles selling it new for $29K. The MSRP sticker is $33,540. Can I do better then $29K and what is the difference between a 2009 and 2008?

Should I wait for a 2010 Avalon?
    I had been shopping around for Avalon's for several months. The only reason I didn't purchase a 2008 was that traction and stability control wasn't standard equipment, and I didn't find one I wanted that had that option. No problem with 2009 models because they all come standard with that feature. That should tell you something about the importance of that feature. The price you stated is outstanding. The most I got off of sticker for my 2009 XLS was about $3000.00. Best wishes.
    Mostly what I've read on the internet is that Toyota has no plans to continue the Avalon in 2010. Instead, there is talk about an upscale type of Camry. My Toyota salesman said they were going to continue the Avalon in 2010. Your guess is as good as mine. Best Wishes.
    An 08 is a model year old & not worth anywhere $29,000. I would think somewhere in the range of 25 K would be more realistic in today's market, especially since Toyota has discontinued the Touring model. There are no significant differences between 08 & 09 models; and a local dealer tells me there will be an all new 10 Avalon in the showrooms in Sept./Oct.

The current series Avalon is a good car. My 06 XLS has 137,000 miles on it; & I haven't spent a single cent for non scheduled repairs. I'm looking forward to seeing the 10, & will probably buy, based on my experience with the 06.
  • bagguettebagguette Member Posts: 2
    I've been driving my Avalon for a week now and these are my observations.

1. It is a bigger car. I used to have a Camry. I am having to get used to the bigger car and having to watch it when I pull in to the garage.

2. Its window view area on the side and rear is very poor. I detached all of the headrests so I can see more clearly out the windows. I am a bit short so that may be the problem too.

3. I find the driver side side mirror to be in my way when viewing out that side. Again I am on the short side.

4. Love the car and will keep it 17 years as I did the Camry.
  • carlupicarlupi Member Posts: 52
    Avalons are currently in short supply. In addition, they have traditionally enjoyed a solid demand and been a good profit item for Toyota. Therefore, they are usually not discounted as much as other Toyota cars. In today's market you would do well if you get around 10% off MSRP. This might change later this year if Toyota introduces a completely new Avalon for 2010.
  • simon7simon7 Member Posts: 5
    I just took delivery of a 09 Avalon Limited. Had to wait almost 5 weeks from the time that I had placed the order. I did not want one with the Nav system so I had to wait for one to be built. I live in central Illinois and paid $33,600 before tax for a blizzard pearl ext color and matching floor mats. May be I could do better price wise if I went to other dealers and compared price. But I like the dealer which counts for something. So far I am very pleased with the car. As someone pointed out the only thing that I didn't like is the somewhat cheap plastic dash.
  • vivaretrovivaretro Member Posts: 3
    Hi all,

I found a deal at this local dealership.

It's a brand new black 2008 Avalon XLS with 6-CD changer.

The MSRP is $35,458, but the blow out sale price is $30,287.

Now, after tax and fees, the total comes to be $32,445

I found that the invoice price for XLS is $27,829, and if I add CD changer then it would be around $28,500 range.

So is this a good deal? I mean, considering that this is a 2008 and not 2009 or 2010, I am not sure about the goodness of the deal in comparison to the current market value of 2008's...

should I take this deal or try to knock off some more bucks?

I would really appreciate your ideas.

Thank you!
    I don't think so. The dealer has a lot of year end rebate & holdback money he's received from Toyota for his 08; & the minute you drive it off the lot it's worth around $22500 - $23,000 Wholesale , the amount you would receive if the car was totalled.
    Too, the 10's will be out in 5-6 months & you'll take another good sized hit on depreciation. In this market I think you should be able to get it for under dealer invoice. Incidentally, I own an 06 XLS with almost 140,000 miles on it without a single repair. They are good cars.
  • vivaretrovivaretro Member Posts: 3
    bobgwtw, thank you for your message. It's helping me a lot! I think I should be more careful with this deal... If it were 09 model, I would have taken it, but it is an 08! Its value will drop so fast like you mentioned.

Now, I was looking at 09 models too, and found something disturbing.

For the same model, let's say 09 Limited with Nav option, edmunds' price is $37,935.

However, on the dealerships webpag, the same car is listed at $40,295 as MSRP.

Is this possible? Can they just jack up the MSRP like that? I thought MSRP was set by Toyota.

Whatever MSRP they have, I can pretty much claim TMV price ($34,642) right?

Oh my ignornance...
    What the dealer calls MSRP probably includes a package of overpriced dealer add ons. I'm always going to try to better TMV, & I've usually been able to do it. In this market, if I were you, I'd start at dealer invoice & grudgingly move up from there.
    It really is a buyer's market out there.
  • birdyboybirdyboy Member Posts: 1
    I got an offer from a MA dealer for a new 2009 Avalon XLS with JBL radio and memory seat options for 29,900. Looks like this is about 700 under invoice which seems like a good deal to me. I'm not in a hurry, is this worth doing now or should I wait until the 10's come out?
  • clarkkentclarkkent Member Posts: 154
    What is a fair price?

I'm buying a 2007 SLX with 64K on it. It is Black with light gray leather.

It has everything but memory seats.

It has leather, sun roof, ele, heated seats, Trac control, 6, dis. cd, side molding, new tires (50 miles on them.) + all the standard SLX stuff. Climate Control, etc.

Oil changed every 3K (I have all the records) washed every day. (yes every day) sales person. All highway miles.

I have never seen a cleaner car with 64K in my life and I have had a lot of cars.

Not a scratch. Two sets of Toyota floor mats as this sales person put in new Factory mats every year. One set being used, one new. He has already gone through two sets.

Car is perfect.

The book says 19K+ price, but I don't think you could get that.

I know the owner. He is a fanitic about his cars.

He paid 32K 2 years ago.

What would be a good price?
    Been trying to buy an '09 Limited with a sticker price of $36,400 and so far the best quote I have is $33,600 which I don't feel is low enough. I will continue shopping to see if I can better this. I would appreciate any input from others.
  • simon7simon7 Member Posts: 5
    Did you order one with the Nav system and Laser Cruise Control? If you did and the quote is $33,600, I think it is a good price and below invoice. I ordered one last month without the Nav but with the Laser Cruise and paid the exactly the same price you were quoted. I love my Avalon Limited!
    The one I am shopping for was a Limited without laser cruise or navigation. So far I am offered about $2,750 off sticker price and I am thinking a better price is possible. I am curious how you like your laser cruise control. All but impossible here to find laser cruise without also buying the navigation.
  • toyofan3toyofan3 Member Posts: 4
    I have my eye on a few 08 Leftover Avalon touring models. VSC, Sunroof, heated seats. Sticker is a little over 32K. They have been sitting around for over a year...WHY? Anyone have an idea what a dealer would take for these cars? is 25K plus tax, title and registration reasonable?
  • tpalmer1tpalmer1 Member Posts: 19
    I have an '06 Limited with laser cruise and navigation. I really like the laser cruise. It is a great safety feature on the highway. I wish my other cars had it. It doesn't work in the rain, though. As for the navigation, I really like navigation systems and I would not buy another car without it, either. However, compared to the Honda, it is inferior unless they have improved. You cannot select or change your chosen destination while moving. Still though, I like the navigation system, but this is one shortcoming. It is much better than an aftermarket, though, and you don't have to worry about a factory navigation system being stolen.
  • stoneybrokestoneybroke Member Posts: 83
    I've been looking for a new 2008 Touring with stability for some time. Finally found one with the following:Leather, heated seats, stability&trac, carpets&floormats, special paint (Blizard Pearl), moonroof, touring pkg. and wheel locks. Msrp was 33K. Dealer wants 28K + T&T. Deal is straight up with no trade. What do you guys think?
  • toyofan3toyofan3 Member Posts: 4
    STONEYBROKE. I too have been looking for the exact car in the last 2 weeks.
    found a demo for 28500 with 6 k miles, found several dealers out of state with the same cars, all wanting 28-30K. AND that is with a 750 cash rebate. The NADA book on this car with only 5 miles is only 25K. They will not budge. So as soon as you leave the lot there goes $3,000 bucks. ..they think the touring is so special...It is special, especially as a rental car..Check EBAY. What it is is they are stuck with these cars they have had for 18 months and cant sell and now insisting on getting everything they have into them.
    I am now on to an 09 XLS for under 31K. for $3,000 or less more than the 08, I am getting a brand new 09 with all the same options and the JBL stereo.
  • jamesewellsjamesewells Member Posts: 6
    I bought an '09 XLS last September and paid $30,300 for a $34,700 car. No Nav (didn't want it) no JBL ( would have taken that). I really wish the Avalon's suspension was a little more taut and the car handled better. The tires are not made for spirited driving either. All that said, it's a great car, so says the primary driver (my wife).