Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford F-150 SUPERCREW

Comments

• novice150novice150 Member Posts: 4
    To newfordman1, may I ask what rebates and discounts the dealer offered? I'm a potential x-plan buyer (about $400 below invoice). I've just seen the 1500 cashback from Ford in Florida, don't have a copeting model to get another $1000 from Ford. Lease rates are now very good, but I'd rather pay less up front.
  • swampcollieswampcollie Member Posts: 87
    well, I did it. I am the proud owner of a 2001 AZ Beige supercrew 4x4, 5.4 engine, P255/70R-16 tires, 3.55 limited slip, cab steps, sliding rear window, trailer tow pkg, P/U box extender, and 6-disc CD changer. sticker at $33,270. the deal on it was incredible and I have never had such a nice vehicle.
    the only drawback i see is that my trucks have always been used as a truck... full of stuff and the dog. this one is so nice, it is going to be hard to put all that stuff back in it, but I will.
  • newfordman1newfordman1 Member Posts: 7
    Novice 150,
    I don't know if it is nationwide but Ford raised the rebate on 9-22-01 to $2000.00 here in the Dallas area. I did not have a competing truck to get the additional $1000 rebate either. I believe the potential deals on the 2001's are better than the x-plan but it wouldn't hurt to check both ways. Good luck and good hunting. I haven't told my son about the truck yet. He will be shocked when he sees it when I pick him up at school tomorrow.
    i dont want to hear that i missed another $500 by one day... i dont care..im happy.. but $500 would have been nice..real nice.. dont guess i can get the dealer to change the date on that deal... oh by the way, if u do the X plan you also get the rebates...and there is an additional $600 rebate if you use the X plan..
  • peaches5peaches5 Member Posts: 91
    Have you had to take your truck in for any warranty service? Since the shops get paid less on warranty work, I wonder if I'll get any grief if I take it to a place that's closer to the house, and not where I bought it. Wade Ford is 100+ miles from my house whereas there's one dealership 10 miles away (small) and VJ's about 20 miles away. It's just me and the one car, so getting rides and such isn't really an option. Of course, depending on how much Wade Ford wants the sale, I could get them to put a free loaner for warranty work into the contract, hehehe.
  • novice150novice150 Member Posts: 4
    swampcollie,
    Please tell me more about this additional $600 rebate for x-plan buyers...my local dealers in Orlando aren't aware (or are holding back). x-plan is about $400 under invoice, then 2001s have $1500 cash back; this $600 additional is new news.
    Thanks.
    I have no idea if it is regional..but the guy that furnished me the X plan knew about it and when i asked the dealer they checked and it was true.. I am in Missouri and know that these things sometimes are regional.. and yeah..you still get the 1500..i got 2100 in rebates plus about 400 under for the x plan..so ended up at about 2500 under invoice..and I got to tell you the very next day another dealer i had been talking to called and did even better..but too late.. this should not happen on the X plan..that is a set price minus the rebates..
  • atlanta4atlanta4 Member Posts: 51
    I have fortunately not had to take mine in for any warranty service - yet. But then I've only got around 5800 miles on it so far. I did have to bring it in to have the two-tone paint & stripes applied and the cab steps adjusted because they weren't put on right. They took care of these items - no problem.
    As far as the dealer getting paid less for warranty service. My experience has been that any dealer who wants your business will take care of warranty service gladly - even if they didn't sell you the car. The philosophy being that maybe one day you will buy a car from them. Smaller dealerships tend to: 1. Either give really good service to people because they know they generally can't match prices with big dealers... or 2. Treat people with indifference because they think they're the only game in town. This doesn't vary much between customers so I'd ask around to others who have taken their vehicles in for service near where you live and see what their experience has been.
    You must live somewhere near Chatsworth from the location you gave so I assume thats the small dealer nearer to you. I don't have any experience there or at VJ. My father-in-law did have a new engine installed in his van at the Ford dealership in Blue Ridge (?Mountain Motors?) and he had one bad experience after another there. Don't think I would take mine there unless I was stranded.
    Good Luck
  • peaches5peaches5 Member Posts: 91
    Many thanks :) I'm in Ellijay and there's a little Ford place here (not even sure of the name), but I'll be sure to stay clear of Blue Ridge. Taking it to VJ will probably be my best bet for warranty service and then afterwards, find someone local. I found a GREAT japanese car repair guy up here AND another in Roswell - it's going to hurt to trade in the Nissan after finally finding 2 really good mechanics :| Thanks again!!!!
  • bowhuntwibowhuntwi Member Posts: 262
    And picked up a 2002 SuperCrew with FX4 Off-Road package, I feel I got a good deal, they gave me $28500 for my truck, plus they dropped theres around 1200. Pick it up Friday night. Got 4.9 for 60 months, looked at the 01's, nobody wanted to deal. 02 has the FX4,Moonroof,6CD/Cass,Sliding Rear Window, 5.4, Cab Steps, Power Drivers Seat, XLT, bench Cloth, towing Pkg. Plus they threw in an A.R.E. "Z-Series Cap" and a 5yr/100,000 Premire ESP Ford Warranty. I feel good about the deal. It's Black with Grey two tone, the only way you can get the color is to get the off road package. Catch ya all later
  • txyank1txyank1 Member Posts: 1,010
    about Ford's packages. You have to go all the way to an Eddie Bauer (or Limited too on Explorer) and I think even get Leather and memory and all the rest, just to get the passenger seat power too. On GM, one's power they both are. Back when we bought our '96 Explorer it was just the oopposite.
  • hornauerhornauer Member Posts: 5
    Congradulations on your new purchase. I am in the same exact situation now as you were a few days ago. Nows the time to buy...trouble is, these dealers in houston are being stingy...only 1000 rebate and never mentioned anything about the x-plan rebate.

Did you use x-plan or was that a negotiated deal? You did get a great deal on you truck.

I am thinking about traveling to garland to visit prestige ford. Checked out their web site and Looks like they have a great selection.

Can you give me a referral of the salesman you worked with? Also, did you do your own financing so you could take advantage of the rebates. I've got outside financing, but the 2.9% for 60 months is tempting as well.

Thanks,

Chris H
  • genghis721genghis721 Member Posts: 53
    What sort of gas mileage are people getting on SCrew 4x4 5.4L?

Kirk
    Just picked up my New 02 XLT SCrew 5.4 4x4....on Friday, had an illness in the family, ended up driving 804 miles between Friday & Sunday. Varied my speed as the dealer said for the first 500 miles, also was advised not to use cruise for that time. 1st tank was 15.7 (mixed highway & city) 2nd tank 16.4 (highway) 3rd tank 16.7 (highway)4th tank 16.6. I think it's not to shabby to start. This truck is great to drive, I'm not saying the Super Duty isn't a great truck too (I traded my SD Crew Cab for the Super Crew)
    I decided to down size and I'm glad I did.
    i have had my 4x4, 5.4, screw for about 2 weeks..gas mileage was my biggest fear.. i am pleased to report that it is doing fine.. i dont drive hard.. i am a 65mph driver on the highway and dont shoot away from lights... i estimate i have about 2/3 highway and 1/3 city driving..first fillup was 17.3, 2nd was 16.4, and 3rd was 17.7.. i think it will even get better..next week i give it a good test when i head to north dakota for a duck hunt. right now i am simply tickled with this truck..
  • kk5svkk5sv Member Posts: 1
    I'm considering purchasing a 4x4 Super Crew.

I was wondering about the differences in the 4.6L vs. the 5.4L in terms of (1.) Gas Mileage and (2.) Power. If the 5.4L is much more powerful but only a couple of MPG less than the 4.6L, may be worth the upgrade.

The heaviest thing I would ever pull is a Pop Up Camper or a small ski boat.
    Does anyone here have newfordman1's email address? I really need to get ahold of him to find out more about his purchase in garland,tx.
    I went through all of this before I bought a couple weeks ago. In fact, when I started looking I was sure I was going to get the 4.6. I talked to a lot of people and in particular one guy that had had a screw with the 4.6 and then replaced it with a screw with the 5.4. my conclusion was that the only reason not to get the 5.4 was the increased initial cost. the gas mileage was not that different and the power difference was considerable. I did get the 5.4 and am happy I did. the gas mileage I am experiencing is liveable.
  • emaleemale Member Posts: 1,380
    kk5sv,

definitely get the 5.4l engine if you plan to also get 4wd. the 4.6l is a little gutless in such a heavy truck and therefore its gas mileage won't be much better than the more relaxed 5.4l.
    Hey Newfordman1..what's the build date of your new SCREW? You can find it by opening the drivers door and looking at the bottom of the piller between the front and back doors.
    I believe the rheostat switch that dims the dash lights and turns the inside light on is supposed to have a setting that turns the inside lights off even with the doors open. Mine does not. am i correct in my assumption?
  • newfordman1newfordman1 Member Posts: 7
    Sorry it has taken so long to reply buy my old computer finally gave up the ghost and I have been out of service while waiting for the new one to arrive. The deal I got was an advertisement in the Saturday edition of the Dallas Morning News for Prestige Ford. The salesman we happened to get was Bill Thompson, the fleet and credit union salesman. He was great, only asked to see the newspaper ad. Once he saw that he wrote out the paperwork with the advertised price. Other nice thing was he never pressured me purchase any dealer add-ons. Only asked if I wanted the extended warranty which I declined. The build date was 07/01. I must admit I was a bit leery at first because I heard that Prestige plays a lot of the dealer's games but we had none of that and it was a wonderful experience. Good luck.
    newfordman1, I'll probably be going up that way this weekend. Did you have to show evidence of owning a chevy,dodge,toyota full size truck in order to get the 24,788 vs. 25,788? I'm hoping they'll give it to me anyway. Also, did you have your own financing or did they give you the 2.9%? Thanks for the info...
    Well newfordman1, you got very lucky that you purchased when you did. I went to dallas to pick up an ad truck like yours (they had 3). Got up there and they had it all ready and waiting for me, but they wanted 25,788 plus tt&l. That just wasn't going to work for me. I showed them your post and the salesman went and talked to his manager--came out and said 'if you were here last weekend we could do it for you' --apparently they were offering a $2000 rebate from ford last weekend but now it's only $1000. Talk about disappointed. The funny thing was, as I started to walk away, he didn't even try and stop me or talk me into something else.

Here's another thing that really twisted my nipples...I could have got it for that price if I owned a chevy, dodge, toyota pickup! I told him, 'what about loyal ford owners? It's all i've ever owned. Of course no response. I was tempted to say yea, i own a chevy, but don't know what kind of proof they would have asked for.
    why the difference in painted vs chrome mirrors and mesh vs bar grille? I was looking at "Screws" over the weekend and noticed these differences. They were both XLT's and had the same option package(although not the exact same total options), and I just could not figure out where the difference was coming from.
    Hornauer,
    Don't get discouraged by the dealers BS. The S'crew is a great truck and the dealers know it so if they're having a good week of sales they sometimes 'tighten the reins' a little. Be persistent & get the truck you want - it'll be worth it!
    Txyank1,
    Sounds like some dealer applied aftermarket items to me. I'd ask them to show you invoices for them. The billet grill & lots of different chrome dress-up stuff can be had from dozens of suppliers & most are easy to install yourself & save lots of your hard earned $$$.
    Good hunting to both of you!
    I have a 1997 F150 SuperCab 4x4 w/ 4.6L and 67K on the odo. This is THE best car I have ever owned. Drives well and smooth for everyday commuting. Twin-waverunners get pulled with little problem. It is a bit taxed when asked to pull my Boston Whaler Offshore boat (I "borrow" my brother-in-law's F250 SD when I need to pull it now), but that's not an everyday event.

Now I find myself in a dillema.

Ford is offering 0% on F150 SCrews, and I can get them on x-plan pricing. Do I part with my good friend for the unknown companionship of a new SCrew?

Is a model year change emminent, and I should wait another year?

God, the decisions.

Help!
    I've noticed the diff. grilles ever since the '97's but this is the first I noticed the mirrors too.
  • deano328deano328 Member Posts: 1
    I have a new F-150 with the V-6 engine and from the very beginning I've heard what I can only describe as a "valve chatter" noise coming from the engine. It's not real pronounced but definitely there. Typically, you hear it just cruising along at highway speed. It's almost as if the engine is underpowered. I was wondering if anyone else has noticed a similar noise with this engine?
  • redwhiteblueredwhiteblue Member Posts: 20
    Can anyone recommend a dealer N.Y./C.T..Looking to order a 2002 screw, any information on what a fair deal is would be appreciated. Received a quote of $500.00 over invoice with $220.00 added on for "regional advertising", is anyone else running into this add on? Thanks
  • guyoguyo Member Posts: 1
    I live in San Jose, CA and am planing on buying a crewcab pickup. Either a Tacoma doublecab or the F150 S-Crew. The F150 has a lot going for it but it's about $8000 more. I checked with the dealers on rebates/incentives but no one mentioned the x-plan.
  • ziks30ziks30 Member Posts: 3
    XLT 2wd F150's have chrome grilles, 4wd XLT's have body colored grille surrounds. All Lariats have the body color surrounds. Not sure about the mirrors, but I think its the same as the grilles.
    I happen to work for a company that has an agreement with Ford for discounted prices on vehicles. They call this the x-plan and it is well known among dealers.
  • tkenny53tkenny53 Member Posts: 41
    I just over 1400 miles on my Screw. My mileage was about 11-12 at best. After 1000 miles I installed a K&N air filter, mileage increased to 13-14 right from the get go.It should get better as I go along. These are street only miles and no freeway driving. I have a 2wd 5.4, and no tow packages. and I like to drive fast!
    I'm averaging 17 mpg with a 4x4 5.4.
    I test drove a Lariat 4x4 today. I was surprised at how "stiff" the suspension felt. The steering was a bit loose. The leather seat bolsters were a bit two tight.

This is all compared to my 97 XLT 4x4.

Can anyone tell me if the leather seats "loosen up"?
    For any of you who like to change your own oil but, like me, had never heard of 5W20 oil before you bought a S'crew: I thought would have to pay $4 a quart for synthetic to get the correct 5W20 weight oil but was in KMart the other day & found Pennzoil makes 5W20 in regular old dino-oil.
    There must be some reason why Ford puts 5W20 in big letters on the oil filler cap & I'm not sure but I don't think the owners manual even gives other options based on operating temperatures the way they used to. When I took my truck in to the dealer for the first scheduled service they put 5W30 in it! When I asked the service advisor why they didn't follow the factory recommendation he said, "It's the same thing as 5W20 just a little heavier viscosity" ...Well, No S--T! Then he said that that's just what they buy in bulk & they hadn't started stocking 5W20 in bulk yet. Well, anyway those of you who want to do it yourself should be able to find the Pennzoil in stock.
    Have about 8000 on my 2001 Lariat 4X4 w/off road & tow pkg.
    I find the suspension a good compromise between comfort and firmness. After all, it is a pickup -and a 4X4 at that! It doesn't seem as bone jarring as other 4X4's I've driven-but that's just me.
    As for the steering, I thought if anything it was a bit tight for a truck. I found that a little bit of steering wheel movement can translate into an unintended lane change. Took some getting used to.
    I have the split bench & the bolsters are almost as firm as the Captains chairs. Mine don't seem to be softening up much but I like the support they give as opposed to sliding across the seat when I turn a corner like in my old '69 Chevy C10.
  • wpalkowskiwpalkowski Member Posts: 493
    X-plan is a purchase discount program for people who work for Ford suppliers and other special groups. It allows you to buy a vehicle for dealer price +4%. Only better deal is the A-plan which is only for current Ford employees or retirees - they can buy at dealer price.

If you don't work for a Ford supplier you can still can get in on the X-plan by joining one of the special groups. The one I used is the Experimental Aircraft Association at http://eaa.org. You join them for $40.00 - when you get your membership number to go to the member benefits section of the website and apply for a Ford X-plan PIN number. Take that PIN number down to a Ford dealer and you're all set. That $40 saved me about $4K on a F-350 Crew, and I get a cool magazine every month from the EAA.

Ford requests that it's dealers accept the X-plan, but they don't have to. The dealer probably won't do an X-plan deal on a vehicle that's high demand and on allocation like the T-Bird. He can make more money selling to someone else. But for cars and trucks in current economic climate, I'm sure most dealers would be happy to make an X-plan sale. You should still be eligible for most rebates and special financing deals even with X-plan purchase. X-plan also works for special orders too.
  • guy21guy21 Member Posts: 129
    At 3,000 miles, my 2001 SuperCrew developed a noise in the steering. Dealer diagnosed and replaced the steering gear. I later found out that the replacement gear was a used, rebuilt unit. Steering is now looser than new and vehicle wanders. Ford does not stock new gears for 2001's anymore, just rebuilds. 2002 gear won't fit due to "spline changes". If I had known that 3 months after buying it that Ford would be installing used parts, I would have not bought a new Ford. Anyone else have this happen? Any thoughts on safety or trace ability of used gear of unknown origin in 2001 truck if there is a campaign or recall?
  • kggolubkggolub Member Posts: 3
    Can anyone recommend a good subwoofer, amp and door speakers set up to replace the factory stuff in a 2001 Supercrew?
  • connonconnon Member Posts: 52
    Actually, the AZ plan prices come in at quite a bit lower than dealer cost. Close to 4% under the dealer.
  • emaleemale Member Posts: 1,380
    guy21, ford isn't the only one that installs re-built parts on brand new trucks...
    I have a 5.4 liter 4x4 with 3.55 axle. i have got a minimum of 17mpg on every tank so far. but, yeah..i drive conservative.
    anyone else being driven crazy by this seat belt chime?..it even does it when I am in park.
  • leeg3leeg3 Member Posts: 5
    I seem to recall that new owners receive a free alignment and oil change within the first 3k miles & I'm pretty sure my salesperson mentioned it as well. Of course he denies it now & I can't seem to find any documentation. Anyone hear of this deal?
  • connonconnon Member Posts: 52
    My dealer gave me a card , which at the time and excitement of delivery, I thought was a coupon for a free oil change. Of course, when I wanted to redeem it I was told "no, thats only a reminder when to first service the truck"! Thanks for nothing. Just re-enforces my belief that you do not go back to dealer for anything but warranty work.BTW,my KR 4x4, 5.4 gets 13 mpg around town and closer to 17 on the hwy. Still under 5000 miles so not yet really fully broken in.
  • judiflanjudiflan Member Posts: 2
    How long did it take you to recieve your membership # from EAA.org? Do you actually need a membership card to take with you to the dealer or do you just get a pin #? I just made a deal w/ a dealer on a F150 and it is pending on my getting the x-plan. Thanks for your help, it saved me $800.
    Jim
  • wpalkowskiwpalkowski Member Posts: 493
    Hi,
    Glad I was a help. I joined EAA on line, with a credit card last year. Had my membership number right away. I requested the PIN a week later, but then got sent outta town on business for two weeks of training - the PIN was there when I got back home. I had the PIN in hand when I ordered the truck. Dealer only cared about the PIN #. He didn't know what the EAA was and really didn't car. For that matter I could have come from ToysR'Us - his computer said PIN was valid and that 's all that concerned him.
    I was surprised how non-chalant the dealer was about it. I bought through Fleet Manager, not regular salesperson. I kinda expected to get the short shrift from dealership considering they weren't making a lot of money off of me, but when truck finally arrived 11 weeks later they treated me great and everything was in order, from truck to all paperwork.

A & Z plans are about 5.5% below Dealer Invoice, X plan is 4.0% above the A plan price.
    ...that's why they treated you like a real customer. The dealer gets a certain amount for moving a number of cars throuhg his dealership. Anything else they make is lagniappe... for the dealer that is.
This discussion has been closed.