Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Quest 2004+: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• value911value911 Member Posts: 15
    Just an update on the above issues:

Brakes
    =====

4th set of rotors installed - all 4 discs at 28,000 miles. They still don't know what causes it. I imagine if it holds true to form, these will start warping in another 4,000 - 5,000 miles. (Note: To all those paying for rotors in warranty - raise heck with Nissan. I have not paid for any of these 4 sets and 3 resurfacings.)

AC
    ==

They continue to maintain the it cools within specs - which is anything 67 degrees or lower coming out of the vent -not what the temperature in the van is. Therefore, it could be 87 in the car, but as long as the vent is 67, it is within specs. Unbelievable. So, I went and had the front windows and part of the windshield tinted. This helped, but AC still does not blow 'Cold'.

Tires
    ====

Dealer said the tires are in need of replacing at 28,000 miles. Will look to avoid the Goodyear LS and replace with tires having differing specs due to the single OEM tires noted in previous posts.

On the plus side-van ran well on trip to FLA., engine is great(knock on wood)
  • garandmangarandman Member Posts: 524
    I am considering buying a 2005 Nissan Quest S minivan. I know there were tons of initial problems, but it seems as though Nissan has tried to work through the issues. Looking through the 05 Honda Odyssey boards, it appears that vehicle has its own share of quality issues. What is everyone's overall feeling of the 05 Quest? Has Nissan put their problems behind them? I have an 02 Altima SE that has never had a problem outside of normal maintenance and recalls...

We have 13,000 miles on ours (used for business and family) and it has been flawless. It is delivering much better average mileage than folks seem to be getting on the new Honda, as posted in the Van mileage forum here - we averaged 22.3 for the first 6,000 miles including breakin and winter. The engine is amazing and handling has pleased everyone. We've made Quest enthusiasts out of three self-professed "Minivan haters" and an o4 Odyssey owner.

I don't own one, but I shopped intensely enough (including test drives) that I almost feel that I do. My feeling is that the quality control matters are no longer an issue exept to the extent that any purchase of a new vehicle may present QC issues. There is little doubt in my mind that, feature for feature (including functional space), an 05 Quest is a great deal provided you are (1) not the type of person who is struck speechless by the "pod" and intrument panel; (2) not overly concerned with resale return in a 3-5/6 year time span. The engine/handling is pretty amazing for a minivan IMO, although I had a quibble with the front seats.

It never ceases to amaze me that someone will spend $5,000 more on vehicle B than vehicle A, then claim that resale value is great because a few years later it's worth $5,000 more.

No One knows what the resale value of a vehicle will be in 3 or 5/6 years, especially when a vehicle has been on the market for two years and had a problematic launch that was quickly remedied. Leasing companies make educated guesses but as you can see from the residual values on SUV's lately, short term market conditions can greatly impact those values.

It is reasonable to expect that the Quest will have about the same residual values as other Nissans, which is in the ballpark with Honda and Toyota - some models better, some worse. The cost of ownership data here shows a range of $34,000 to $44,000 for five years for different trim levels of different vans, based on 12,000 miles oer year, (I think).

But these are based on assumptions, which can change. The "total cash price" of a Quest SE is listed as around $2,500 higher than a Honda Odyssey EX with leather and navigation. Many regions currently have a $2,500 rebate on the Quest, which impacts the cost, obviously, along with whatever dealing skills you bring to the table. The local Honda only stocks the Touring model, at prices closer to $35,000.
  • samuelgsamuelg Member Posts: 36
    Hi Value911-

Just a couple of questions that I posted a while back...

1. Brakes - do you tend brake the van hard? Ever since the reports of undersized rotors, I make every attempt to go easy on the brakes & try to avoid hard stops. 16,000 miles so far, and the rotors are not warped.

2. AC- I wrote tons of AC related problems, although my complaints were more about the heat (not turing off). My point: The (AC on + recirculate) settings are much warmer than when I turn to MAX AC on the right knob, and don't even touch the AC/recirc button. The MAX AC setting blows excellent cool air. While he MAX AC is running, if I turn to normal air vent setting and press the left AC button, with or without the recirculate, the air almost immediately gets warmer & stuffier, even though the AC is still on.

Does your's do the same thing?

3. My original tires lasted 8600 miles. The second set are infinitely better, with frequent rotation, good balance & a wheel alignment.

SamG
  • billy8billy8 Member Posts: 11
    Please provide more information about your brake rotor and tire problems.My 2005 Quest has had the front rotors replaced seven times with only 8905 miles on the van. The dealer has charged each time for these repairs. I have spent over $4000.00 for brake repairs so far. Also the dealer said my tires were wore out at 7200 miles and charged me $875.00 for a new set of four. Is this a good deal? I think I can get em cheaper at Walmart.I think my AC works OK even though I haven't used it. I live in northern Alaska and it rarely gets above 60 degrees.Please Help
  • eyeblindeyeblind Member Posts: 156
    It sounds like your dealer is ripping you off. Tires are 100% covered for the first year by Goodyear against defect. In your post at 2004+ Quest forum you said the dealer said you didn't rotate the tires enough. The service manual reccomends you rotate the tires every 7500 miles. Your tires weren't even at that point before they said they were worn out. Rotors also should be covered in the first year. You should file a complaint against the dealer.
    I do have a question. Here you say that the rotors were replaced 7 times in 8905 miles and the tires were replaced at 7200 miles. Over in the 2004+ Quest forum you write that the rotors were replaced 7 times in 8650 miles and the tires were replaced at 6500 miles. :confuse:
  • tom04se6sptom04se6sp Member Posts: 9
    Never mind... just found this... Wow! you've been through a lot in the last 6 days!

#1481 of 1489 Re: 2005 Nissan Quest Purchase [dc_driver] by billy8 Aug 19, 2005 (9:29 pm)
    Bookmark | Reply | E-mail Msg
    Replying to: dc_driver (Aug 19, 2005 12:39 pm)

I would not hesitate to buy an 05 Quest. I own a 05, 3.5s with 4000 miles. Its been back to the dealer twice. Once for warped front rotors, a one hour repair by the dealer and a minor problem with the AC system. Both repairs were handled GREAT. no charge , no problems. The second repair was taking longer than the dealer thought so I was given a 05 Hyundai Tuscon as a free loaner. This vehicle was loaded and cost only $1000 less than my Quest. I could not wait to get back into my Quest after driving the Tuscon, no comparison. I wouldn't by a Dodge Gr Caravan, CHEAP JUNK, TERRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE. I traded my 03 GR Caravan in on my Quest, Good riddance. I had this GR Caravan in the shop for weeks at a time with no fix. In my opinion you will get the most van for your$$$$ by far with the Quest. Good Luck
    Does anybody else have this problem -- the pressure reading on my 04 Quest SL always reads 4-5 psi higher than what a manual guage says. Thus to keep the pressure reading from going below 27, I need to keep at least 33 psi in them. I usually fill em up to 38 psi cold so they will read 33 and not get too low on slightly cold days.

Tom
  • psm0110psm0110 Member Posts: 4
    #1 - not yet, but I intend to hook up my iPod to the SAT input within a couple weeks. Using the DVD Auxillary in is quck & easy, but leaves you with cables on the floor, and a DVD unit that is constantly on. I've begun collecting part numbers and alternatives at http://questdriver.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=4

2. Yes the 2004 has been granted an extended warranty.
    3. another item on my todo list as well
    4. It think adding leather would be overkill. Best thing for the pets would be to lower the 3rd row and install a gate to keep their mess in the back. More importantly it keeps them and you safe!
    5. Crossbars! I'll be installing mine this afternoon. Look for a write-up on questdriver.com Its nice that Nissan gives us siderails, but why can't they include the crossbars!?
  • moonkidmoonkid Member Posts: 6
    Your statment:
    "It never ceases to amaze me that someone will spend $5,000 more on vehicle B than vehicle A, then claim that resale value is great because a few years later it's worth $5,000 more."
    Definately struck a cord with me. I bet the resale valures are determined by a function of the original value anyway. That is if Honda raises its MSRP by $10,000 they will sell less vans, but the resale value will go up. Also what is the point in pluging an extra 5,000 into a van in hopes of getting it back later. Not a wise investment.
    I love my 2005s quest (3K miles). I find the "fuel economy" button a great entertainment. I recently got 29.2 mpg on my 37 mile round trip to work (90% freeway). I love the tire pressure gauge.
    My reason for getting the quest was the Power doors, safetey rating, reliability, and price. My wife required the power doors, otherwise I would never have got them. I bet her $20 they would break in 2 years (anyway in 8 years they won't work because I will not spend $ trying to fix them). If I was correct it was the cheapest model with power doors by about $5000 (that is after rebates).
    I couldn't stomach the $1500 for a DVD player, so I built a little DVD player cabnet
    that fits between the seats $50 plus a little 5 inch DVD player ($150). The DVD player can be removed and used elsewhere, or easily replaced. The top of the cabnet folds out to make a little table between the seats for cards. Inside the cabnet between the seats hides a backup battery to run the system when the car is off, and to jump start the car if the main battery goes dead.
    By the way, why don't they desgin a car that runs all the electrical stuff off an additional battery recahrged by solar or plugin power. This would increase the MPG in the city by 4 or 5 mpg, and on the highway by 1 or 2mpg. It would only need to supply power for 2 or three hours per day for most of us. Of couse it should have an overide switch for longer trips which put the electrical system back on the generator. What do you think?
    don
  • squestsquest Member Posts: 25
    The tire pressure is only accurate at sea level according to one of the techs at Nissan. Use a hand gauge to fill, and then use the dash gauge to keep watch for low pressure.
    Samuel,

1. Wife is primary driver, and she does not brake that hard. Rotors already going bad at 300 miles from the time I posted. Unbelievalble.

2. I leave it on recirc. mode all the time, because without it, van is like sanua.
    Can't use normal air vent setting - too stuffy as you note.

3. I rotate every 7,500 or less and have had two wheel alignments.

Good luck with your van.
    eyeblind,

You need to call 1-800-Nissan1 and open up a complaint. No way in the world they should be charging you for the rotors.
  • garandmangarandman Member Posts: 524
    BTW for those of you who don't like power doors, if you shut them off at console in the overhead, you can close them manually (which is faster) and the kids can't hit the button. You can still open and close the doors from the Key fob by power.
    I don't think Louisville, KY is that far off of sea level that this should make a 5 psi difference.

Anyway, if I fill cold to 35 psi, the TPMS reads 30. One slightly cold day and the alarm goes off. Doesn't reset the light until gauges read 33, so I have to put 38 psi in the tires (which I do all the time to avoid alarms). I guess it is probably not a big deal to have 38-40 psi in these tires all the time, but not sure if it is optimal.

Tom
  • taxesquiretaxesquire Member Posts: 681
    I searched this forum for my issue and didn't see anything, so I apologize in advance if this is a repeat question.

My wife and I rented a Quest for 3 months after our Sienna got squished between 2 trucks. :cry: Anyway, we noticed numerous scratches around each door handle. We never use the key to open the door, and they don't look like the scratches that low-lifes make on purpose. They're not jagged like paint cracks either. Just straight, about 4-inch long scratches around the door handles.

Anyway, I'm concerned about the rental company charging me for the scratches and want to know if your Quests have similar problems. Ours was navy blue. If you take the time to respond, please tell me your car's color - maybe it's a dark paint thing. I'm really confused by it!! :surprise:
  • dtownfbdtownfb Member Posts: 2,918
    Based on your last two posts, it sounds like the sensors are not calibrated properly. I'm assumin you have the OEM tires.

The next time you take it in for an oil change, I would ask the service manager about this.
  • mwokesmwokes Member Posts: 10
    Have been following this forum for awhile and felt lucky that I have had no problems with the transmission. Foolish boy!! Had the "lack of power" issue for the second time on Sunday. Called the dealership first thing on Monday, was told if it was drivable to bring it in. Of course it had no issue on the way to the dealership, and now the dealership can'r recreate the problem, so I was told to come pick it up. I printed out the TSB #04144 and left it on the front seat of the van when I dropped it off. I questioned the service advisors how was I supposed to get the van to them when it is havint the problem? I can't drive it there, because it won't go more than 4 mph and at that point I am a trtaffic hazzard. I can't turn it off, and I can't let it run until Nissan comes out to look at it, because they don't come out to look at vehicles-you have to bring it to them. Was told buy the advisor to call the 800 number, because the consumer has more power than the dealers. Called this morning, and the consumer affairs rep that I talked to really couldn't help me, because he didn't know what the TSB was- that is for the technicians, as I was told. My question is this, if Nissan knows there is a problem occurring with these vehicles, and someone comes in with the exact problem that they are aware of, why don't they fix it? I'm not fighting over this because I have nothing better to do with my time. I have printed off the other forum letters in regards to this problem and how the issue was resolved, but I think that Niossan needs to admit its problems and fix them. If we as owners were treated well and the problems resolved, I'm sure we would speak much mor highly of the vehicle and the dealers. Any other opinions on this???
  • cirrusscirruss Member Posts: 87
    Sorry to hear your experience. It is too bad that your dealer is not willing to work with you on this. And that stupid Nissan consumer affairs phone service is completely useless. I don't even know why Nissan pay money to maintain that department. They do absolutely nothing, they have no idea about Nissan cars, or any knowledge of their TSB. Anyways back to your issue, my wife had the problem with the car driving slow and feeling it's driving in 3rd gear problem. We took it in to our dealer 2 weeks ago, and they went ahead to replace the A/T control module as per the TSB (the work order did not say they duplicated the problem). My dealer has been pretty good so far as long as you tell them the problem, and there is a TSB, they will do the work (basically they take the word of the customer). Last year, I had the radio problem with intermittent no audio problem, and when I took it in, they immediately agreed to order a new radio for me. I remember reading a post several pages back with another person having the same problem as yours. That person had to complain and change service advisor before they were willing to perform the TSB. Guess you can always try another dealer.
  • samtucksamtuck Member Posts: 2
    Just curious if you got the hitch installed and what your experience is towing with the '04 Quest. I have one as well and had the hitch dealer installed recently. The van has plenty of power to tow but we are experiencing and annoying vibration throughout the van when towing. I am towing approx. 1300 lbs.-> it is as if the hitch is causing this annoying rattle/vibration throughout the whole car. Don't know if it's just how its attached to the 'Unibody frame' or what??? How's it working for you?
  • cirrusscirruss Member Posts: 87
    Does it help if you turn off overdrive (button on side of shifter)? I think overdrive should be off when towing and use lower gear when driving.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Absolutely...no OD when towing!
  • samtucksamtuck Member Posts: 2
    Nope- even with the OD off we still experience the vibration.
  • joe15720joe15720 Member Posts: 7
    Good for you. I think the AT Control module is the final fix.
    Update of my van: Dealer finally called the Tech service line (Nissan engineers) after having the car for 5 days. The tech line recommended that they drop the transmission pan. When the dealer dropped the pan, they said that they found and "excessive" amount of metal. The van has approx 15K miles on it, there should not be anything in there but very fine metal. He said that there were small pieces of metal and shavings. He ordered a new transmission and I finally got it back after 10 days at the dealership. When I talked to him about the initial problem, he tried to reassure me that the metal in the pan was the issue and still refused to change the A/T Control Module. We will just wait and see if this was the fix or not. We had the Extended Warranty, so we did not pay anything for the rental car -they had no loaners at the time we brought the car in. If we would have just sat down and accepted their initial answer, nothing would have been done.
  • terryharristerryharris Member Posts: 40
    To: Billy8
    If you have had the rotors replaced 7 times and the tires gone by 7,200, it would appear that you are driving the van like a Ferrari. Easy on the undersized rotors and less stress on the tires will help. On mild days keep the dual control temp as low as possible, fan fairly high, and system on vent and that will stop hot air from coming out at bottom of console. As for towing, I tow 2,500 pounds with factory installed hitch system and have zero problems. I have 20,000 miles on my 04 Quest. Original brake rotors, original tires with good tread, and average 21 MPG overall with 80 to 90% town driving. I rotate tires each 6,000 miles and change synthetic oil each 6,000 miles. Biggest problem still doors not always closing and rattles from sliding doors, rear hatch, and 3rd row seat.
  • vonbill3vonbill3 Member Posts: 20
    Cannot imagine why no OD when towing except possibly when descending steep grades requiring additional engine braking. Also possibly under some conditions the transmission will hunt for the right gear, but I've had this happen when not towing. With the '93 Villager usually used the Power switch to raise the shift points. Our current 2004 3.5S is by far the best towing vehicle I've owned. The extra 90 HP over the Villager is greatly appreciated. I assume current engine management computers are fully capable of deciding what gear to be in. And at highway speeds and automatic transmission lockup there should not be any transmission problem.
    It's an overdrive gear---it puts a lot of stress and heat on the transmission and loads the engine---which is why your transmission downshifts....it's saying "I don't want to be in OD".

I guess if you are towing in OD and it never downshifts, or rarely, then you have the power and the differential ratio to safely tow in OD

---but if you are downshifting a lot and/or you have economy gearing in the differential, I think it's asking for trouble.

So okay, I'll qualify my statement---towing in OD depends on what you are towing, the level of the road, headwinds, etc.
  • ketsmotsketsmots Member Posts: 1
    Hi

Assuming the engine RPMs go up (i.e. Engine is revving up but transmission will not move beyond lower gear), I would suggest u ask Nissan dealer to check the RPM Sensor. Looks like RPM Sensor is not sending the transmission the correct signal.

Good luck
  • mwokesmwokes Member Posts: 10
    Thanks for the good wishes. The service manager attempted to get authorization to change the AT control module but was denied. He called me and told me that they would still go ahead and change the part, but he was "sticking his neck out for me" to do this. Should I feel lucky, or is this what the dealer should have done from the beginning?? This van has a horrible record of going to the dealer and was almost a lemon law case, so I assumed(you know what happens when you assume) they might be willing to just fix the problem to keep me happy. Hopefully this will fix my problem because I love the vehicle, and once this is done I can move on to getting all four of my rotors resurfaced so I stop nice and smooth again.
  • gman2005gman2005 Member Posts: 7
    I've looked carefully at the 2005 S model Quests and I'm ready to buy one. You can ge them around here (Kansas City) for invoice, then deduct the $2000 dealer cash.

Questions:

Seems like we had to run the air conditioning (front & rear) at maximum while we were test driving (90 degrees here today...it gets hotter). What are your experiences with cooling? (other than leakage/malfunctioning).

What kind of City gas mileage are you getting?

Here's what we found - Are dealers selling below invoice? (before cash back)
    S Model
    DVD player
    Seat Package
    Mats
    Splash guards
    Sticker is $27,640
    Invoice is $25000 (+ or - a couple hundred)
    Dealer cash is -$2000

Thanks,

Jeff
  • pierpier Member Posts: 79
    The AT control module was faulty on mine too at 30K miles. The service manager replaced mine without a problem - no hassle. Perhaps its because the quality issues with my Quest has turned me from mild mannered and polite to a total SOB.

I lease a 04 Quest 3.5S. Over a period of 2 years the vehicle has gone back to the dealer for 20 times (6 of them were combined with regular services) resulting in over 24 days at the dealer. This vehicle has generated over 47 warranty-related repairs. The tires lasted only 30K and required new brake pads at 27K miles. Considering I have 2 years left and the current average rate of warranty incidents, the car is projected to return to the dealer another 14 times (excluding scheduled maintenance). After having repeatedly approached Nissan to buy back the vehicle in return for a lease on a new vehicle, I was informed by Nissan Consumer Affairs that they did not consider my case serious enough for buyback. Considering Nissan is committed to improving its 11th position out of 14 auto manufacturers in the J.D. Power and Associates initial-quality survey, this attitude towards quality is hardly encouraging.

The AT control module was faulty on mine too at 30K miles. The service manager replaced mine without a problem - no hassle.

:lemon:
  • billy8billy8 Member Posts: 11
    pier,
    After reading this and prior posts from you about your Quest I find myself questioning the content of your complaints. You are very vigorous in posting and reposting of your concerns. It just seems unbelievable that your Quest has this many problems and I wonder about your motivation in posting the same information over and over again. One can't believe everything one reads but if your story is true your service manager must want to run and hide when you pull in the lot with your Quest. Back At Ya
    47 warranty claims and you haven't contacted a Lemon Law lawyer? What's holding you back? Sounds like a slam-dunk win for you with a rap sheet like that. It's not up to Nissan to tell you if you qualify and they are hardly a dis-interested party to go asking for advice.

You need a lawyer to solve these issues. This forum is more for those seeking solutions to problems. It really isn't meant to be a Complaint Station.

MrShiftright
    Host
    billy8

My motivation is to warn prospective and current Quest owners of the pitfalls of this car. I agree that one should not believe everything one reads however, should you doubt the veracity of my claims, I can email you a copy of the dealer printout of all the repair orders. Bear in mind that it would be incomplete as it does not feature the last two times the vehicle has gone in for steering vibration. I hold my service manager in the highest regard despite the quality problems of the car and he has never had a negative relationship with me due to the fact that I am honest about my claims and that I am willing to bend over backwards to resolve the problems.
    MrShiftright

I am a Business Intelligence professional that deals with all Service Engineering (including Warranty and Buyback) data for a leading German automotive manufacturer. Your statement is rather simplistic. The Lemon Law is bandied around too often. It is applicable to a nonconformity (a defect or condition) which substantially impairs the use, value or safety that cannot be repaired after three attempts by an authorized manufacturer's dealership. This nonconformity must first occur within the first 24 months or 18,000 miles, whichever comes first. The Law applies to vehicles that are in the shop for repair 20 or more calendar days during the first year.

An all cases, the defects did not substantially impair the use of the car, nor did my car spend 20 days in the shop in its FIRST YEAR. In my case, I skirt the Lemon Law. The defects are more of a nuisance than anything however they are frequent and require more time at a dealership than one can afford.

I maintain my use of the forum is correct based on the accumulated time I have spent discussing the problems with the service manager.
    The forum is meant to exchange ideas and information to arrive at solutions. It is definitely not meant for launching a bad publicity campaign against the manufacturer or to discourage people from buying a Quest, as most members and certainly the newbies don't really want to read too much of this. So think of the forums as a "can you help me?" type of thing, not a "I have a grudge". Any positive results that come of your situation are most welcome but "brand-bashing" isn't appropriate here. No one is presuming any guilt here, just advising you as to a good direction to steer towards in the future.

Should you wish to continue this discussion please e-mail me!

Please everyone continue your discussions,

MrShiftright
    Host
  • jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    Sorry Mr. Shiftright...but you and Billy are wrong about pier's post. If you had followed or looked up some of his previous posts you would have seen that he had been asking for help and asking questions to his problems. Questioning how he could get Nissan to buy back his Quest. As an inpartial reader...I think pier's post was more than appropriate for this topic.

Pier was talking about problems he had with his Quest. Would this not be benefical to others Quest owners? I have seen "grudge" posts and "brand-bashing" posts...and pier's post would not quality for either. I think you both owe him an apology.
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
    We're not accusing Pier of anything, just asking him to keep us informed of positive results so that we can all share them. He's certainly welcome here. My comments to him were to encourage him to seek legal action. I mean, 47 warranty claims!!
  • jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    O.K, well thanks for clarifying Mr. Shiftright. And good luck with getting that Quest straightened out Pier. It is in my opinion a very good van... now that Nissan has gotten most of the bugs worked out from the first years model. Unfortunately, it seems you got the lemon of the bunch. :cry:
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
    Since you are questioning the content of piers complaints and motivation, perhaps you could clear up some discrepancies in your own posts.

Message# 1488-Aug 19, 2005(04 Quest Problems & Solutions)- I would not hesitate to buy an 05 Quest. I own a 05 with 4000 miles on it. I've been back twice to the dealer- ONCE FOR WARPED ROTORS, a 1 hour repair & a MINOR A/C PROBLEM.

Message# 1835 Aug 25, 2005( Quest 04+)- Hi, Pier, I would buy your van from you in a NY minute. Compared to my 05 Quest yours seems trouble free. I HAD MY ROTORS REPLACED BY THE DEALER 7 TIMES IN 8650 Miles. You then go on to explain your unfortunate accident( I hope you are o.k.) and finally mention that you live in NORTHERN ALASKA and don't know about the a/c problems because it rarely gets above 60 Degrees. You also mention you are in the market for a new van.

Message#1435 Aug 6, 2005(04 Problems & Solutions)- My dealer is Morries Nissan in Brooklyn Park, MN.

Between 4,000 miles, when you had your first rotors repaired, and 8650 miles you had your front rotors replaced by dealer 7 times? All this happening in 6 days?

You live in Northern Alaska, but your dealer is in Brooklyn MN, which is located near Minneapolis???

In the spirit of trust and good faith that we all should have with each other I'm sure you have an explanation for these discrepancies. If you'd like to share your explanation so we can understand the true nature of the problems you are facing with your Quest, so those of us experiencing similar problem can possibly better help you.
  • bmhr73bmhr73 Member Posts: 1
    I don't know if that is the proper term or not but I am talking about the black stripe that runs down the side of my van. I have the coral sand 2004 Quest. The stripe is starting to come off. It is happening at the end of all of the stripes. Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem. I don't guess it would be covered under the warranty. Any input would be great! Thanks.
    As the primary driver of "Pier's Quest" I can substantiate his reports of quality issues. My "new Perpective" has been the inside of the service center and countless loaner cars. The level of frustration exacerbated each time I had to cancel appointments, move two child seats and drag an infant and five year old back and forth. My 5 year old has something to say about it every time we go to Nissan. I love the practicality and styling of the car. I get over 20 mpg most weeks and I think the engine is wonderful. Our service manager is a saint and we hold each other in very high regard.

Thanks to those who agreed with Pier and yes we hope it gets sorted out.

Jane
    eyeblind

Astute observations. I had earlier expressed my concern for billy8's recovery from the traumatic experience of having his windshield suddenly and inexplicably implode on him. I also urged him to report the incident to NHTSA. Shared information of this nature is vital in the prevention of repeat incidents with perhaps more dire consequences. This is ultimately the purpose of this form (as has been pointed out to me). NHTSA requires this information in their TREAD initiative to independently detect possible safety-related quality issues.
  • plashenickplashenick Member Posts: 165
    I have not posted in a while, but read regularly. As some people noted Lemon Law concepts are bandied around with great regularity. I have gone through the process, as some others have - Now I would like like to pass the wisdom of what I have learned.

1) Every state is different. There is no national law so quoting something like "it must be three attempts, or 20 days", etc. is not nearly correct. visit http://www.mycarstats.com/content/statemvd.asp for local laws

2) In every state having a car go into the shop for a warranty issue counts as one day and one attempt to fix. Bringing it back a week later (because now they have the part) counts as a second attempt and second day. The preceding is per the NJ Attorney General's office, but I'm told is consistent in all states. Some states note that a reasonable time must be given for delivery of parts, so this can be diminished.

In My case I had multiple part failures (Sliding doors, radio (4 visits), switches) for a total of 23 days. in NJ weekends count, this is not true in NY - so states vary for days in shop. Recalls count as well.

3) If the factory agrees there is a problem, but will not / cannot fix then they are in violation of the Magnuson act, which legislates Warranties. You must honor what you sell.

4) Lemon laws are designed for repeated serious issues OR chronic problems. It is for the Judge / Arbiter to determine qualification. It is also not a Lemon vs. non-lemon decision. You can be awarded a monetary settlement for the general nuisance. Each state has various time frame / mileage conditions, but I have yet to see a state where a consumer pays any amount for any part that fails during this lemon law period.

All the above said. Keep good records, Contact a lawyer if you really have more then 20 repair attempts/ visits to the shop. I have yet to see a firm that wants any money other then what they know they will be paid for a legitimate / possibly win-able case. To be frank if you know someone that has had dozens of issues (not a list of parts for one repair) and they still say "I don't trust lawyers." then they are either a foolish consumer or like to hear themselves complain. Fix the problem or get off the soap box, but quit complaining.

I cannot divulge the settlement I was given (per my agreement with Nissan) I can say it was in my favor, I still have the car, and I bring it back to the dealer if / whenever I see something I do not like.

BTW for Alaska I see the law is more then 3 attempts to fix (that means the fourth visit, not fourth break) or 30 business days for the first year. No charges can be assessed for ordering parts, including special delivery, but you must allow a reasonable (unexplained) timeframe for delivery. Additionally this law notes it is designed for issues that "substantially impair either the use or the market value of the motor vehicle..." Market value = Consistent problem that reduce re-sale because you should be honest in telling a prospective buyer all the problems you had - they would therefore pay you less.
    Mr Shiftright

Thank you for your well-meant advice. I admit that I am frustrated and I probably am partly guilty of using this forum as a grudge forum however I wanted to do it in such a manner that others may benefit from my experience.

My latest issue with the Quest is excessive vibration being transmitted through the steering column. Over a long drive the vibration was so bad it caused numbness in the hands. It occurred just after 4 tires were replaced at 30K miles (excessively poor tire lifespan, in my opinion). This is the current path to the resolution:

Alignment was discounted because the wear on the old tires were even. Front tires were re balanced twice and the rotors checked for warping. No resolution. Front tires were replaced at 3.3K miles and balanced. No resolution. 4 new wheels were swapped from a new Quest. No resolution - in fact the problem was worse! The steering rack play was tightened and the front wheel assembly was disassembled. The surfaces between the hubs, rotors and wheels were cleaned. 80% of the vibration has gone (for now). Nissan regard the issue as resolved, accounting the remaining vibration to less that ideal tire quality.

Has anyone heard of such a case?

I am considering writing directly to the CEO of Nissan and pleading my case. I don't want to rid myself of the Quest. I would not mind leasing an 06 model in its place. Does anyone think that's a good idea?
    harmonic vibrations can be a really bear to fix. it's one of the hardest problems to solve sometimes with a car.
  • chuck0731chuck0731 Member Posts: 12
    Sorry about your luck. Your experiences (and attempted fixes) sound a lot like mine. I finally got the problem solved after my dealer called in Nissan Tech Support. I won't get into the details here, but if you check my post #1364 hopefully it might give you some things to check with the dealer. Hope it helps.
    Pier,

For the record, I have never, in my mind, questioned the validity of your issues and concerns regarding your Quest.

Regarding your steering wheel vibration problem, when you refer to them balancing your wheels are you talking about just a regular balance or a road force balance? I don't no the technical aspects of it, but road force balance seems to be designed to eliminate high speed steering wheel vibration.

In my case at 14,000 miles I began to experience exssesive high speed steering wheel vibration. Dealer couldn't balance the tires and didn't have a road force balance machine. They reccomended I take it to a shop that has one. I went to discount tires and they did road force balance on all four wheels. The two rear wheels couldn't be balanced, so I had them replaced ( $42.00 each prorated under warranty.) All vibration gone. Had alignment checked. They had to do some adjustments. After that driving it felt even better.
    Two weeks ago I took my van in for its 15,000 mile service. One of the things they do is balance the tires. Well, after the service, when I went out on the highway I started to feel the vibration again. I took it back to Discount tire and they said all four tires were out of balance, again. Presumably because of what ever the dealer did. Discount road force balanced all four again, for free, and all vibration is now gone.
  • user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    i'm really surprised a dealership would balance tires at a scheduled maintenance interval. rotations sure, but balancing? you might want to inform your dealership that if they are balancing tires, they are actually doing more harm than good. maybe it's just one tech that isn't doing the job properly, or maybe it's their machine...or both.
    eyeblind

Thank you for your reply. Let's put the validity issue behind us.

In all cases where I mentioned balancing the wheels, I meant a road force balance. The dealership I go to (route 23 Nissan, Butler, NJ) possesses one of those devices. Interestingly enough, the service manager even had his machine recalibrated before checking my wheels. It took 40 extra minutes but it was worth the wait to be sure. That's how conscientious this service manager is.

Incidentally, the vibration has returned to 100% at 65 mph or higher. A possibility of a lemon law is beginning to become increasingly probable. Comments?
    plashenick

Thank you for your valuable advice. In your opinion (or anyone reading this) would unsolved harmonic vibrations be regarded as a serious issue and/or chronic problem?
This discussion has been closed.