Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac

jbowelljbowell Member Posts: 15
edited March 2014 in Ford
Where are better pictures than auto.com and
carpoint?

When is it expected to hit dealer showrooms? I've
heard early 2000 but is that Jan, Feb, etc?

Comments

• dbn7dbn7 Member Posts: 13
    I've been told Ford plans on launching this vehicle sometime in the spring... most likely April. Things could change...they are focusing on the launch of the new F-150 Supercrew first.

Please check www.f150online.com/fordnews for some pictures and possible updates.

Later!
  • avengeavenge Member Posts: 1
    What is ford doing over the Explorer?? I have not heard anything about this. If anyone knows anything please let me know.
  • jbowelljbowell Member Posts: 15
    http://www.detnews.com/autosweekly/9909/15/index.htm

The Explorer is supposed to get a makeover for 2001. The Sport Trac is part of that makeover.
  • gohornsgohorns Member Posts: 1
    While watching the New Orleans, San Fran game a Ford as came on for something called Ford Outfitters. Anyway it was all about thier SUVs. At the end of the ad they said "and the all new Sport Trac, due in dealerships in January". I Hope so, I think it looks cool.
  • bigsidbigsid Member Posts: 3
    I saw (I think on Autobytel but I don't remember) that the Explorer was going to be based on another 'platform'...what that means exactly I'm not sure, maybe it'll be placed on the F150 chassis like the Expedition.

And I'm still not sure whether I like the Sport-Trac or not. Initially seeing it in the color white did not help my first impressions any! And what's up with the new 2000 4-dr Explorer brochure?!?! All of the models are shown in WHITE? How horrible! I know they wouldn't want to use red like that other brand, but holy cow?!? WHITE!?! BLECCCCH!!
  • scape2scape2 Member Posts: 4,123
    Sport Trac will be avialable in January. It will have a 206hp/245ft/lbs of torque single over head cam V6. Be available in 2WD and 4WD.
  • zderfzderf Member Posts: 44
    There seems to be quite a mystery with the Sport Trac. Local Ford dealerships don't seem to know anything specfic.. availability and price. Some dealers on the WEB are taking orders tho.

Here is as informative a site as I could find:
    http://www.4x4central.com/2001.html

If anyone has the real latest... please post here.
  • wolziewolzie Member Posts: 3
    I'm really excited about the Explorer Sport Trac but I am a little afraid of what the price will be. Has anyone heard any price ranges for this vehicle yet?
  • BrutusBrutus Member Posts: 1,113
    You can find info on the Sport Trac at:

www.blueovalnews.com

Go to the section on new vehicles. From what I can tell, the Sport Trac option is basically a four door explorer that is chopped off right after the rear doors. Instead of an interior rear cargo area, you have about a four foot truck bed. It's like a Super Crew mini-pickup.
  • daleavery1daleavery1 Member Posts: 1
    the sport trac doesnt go into full production until january. dealers probably wont have a good selection of sport tracs until mid febuary. the sport trac is being built in louisville,ky at the louisville assembly plant, which also makes the explorer, mountaineer, and explorer sport(2-door). so availability of the sport trac may be tough for a while. just a little hint, the sport trac and 2001 explorer sport share the same front end as the redesigned 2002 4-door explorer, and thats about it. the 2002 explorer has totally new sheet metal all around, new lift gate and brand new interior, very very sharp vehicle! ditto for the 2002 moutaineer except for the front grill, it has a lexus look to it, nice also. ford finally got some design engineers with a little imagination.
  • terry43terry43 Member Posts: 14
    Thanks for the great leads. I have been looking for some information like this. There seems to be conflicting stories as to when the 2001 Explorer(4 door) with the independent wheel suspension and 4.6 liter engine will be out.
  • BrutusBrutus Member Posts: 1,113
    I think Ford is discontinuing the 2 door Explorers and will only make 4 door ones in the future. They have an even smaller SUV in the works that they feel people who like 2 doors will opt for instead. The trend in the midsize SUV and small pickup market lately has been toward 4 doors.

I've been hearing January, but I think it will be hard to get one for several months after that.
  • bigsidbigsid Member Posts: 3
    Yep, the smaller SUV is to be called the Excape.
  • tavisgtavisg Member Posts: 8
    Imagination, huh? I'd like to see those pics or leads. I'm very curious to see what the 2002 will look like. I saw the sport and sport trac. If it looks anything like those in a 4 door suv, I might put that puppy on my list. And just in time. i'll be in shopping season around that time.
  • stvdmanstvdman Member Posts: 62
    Invoice for the 2wd is $20,880 w/destination.
    Retail is $23,050.
    I found it through Chrome Data corp. It is a link at my banks web site. Try www.pctcu.com
    click on the top right corner member services(its green) then click on vehicle pricing. Click on model and select year 2001 and they have the pricing for both the sport trac and the supercrew. Hope this helps.
  • stvdmanstvdman Member Posts: 62
    Click on the green "extra's" link first then vehicle pricing, Sorry. BTW to get more info on the TRAC try www.fordvehicles.com
  • jolenevjolenev Member Posts: 1
    Before purchasing my '92 Explorer, I rented one for a week in Feb,'92 & my husband and I put 900 miles on it during that one week in all types of weather - sun, rain, snow, ice - you name it. That sold both me and my husband on Explorer and we bought one a week later! Six years later, at 160,000 miles, I sold that car to my son and his family when I took delivery on my '98 Explorer Sport, which I ordered from my local Ford dealer. If the Sport Trac had been available, I have no doubt that is the vehicle I would be driving now. My local Ford dealer will be sending me the Sport Trac brochure as soon as it is available, and I'm already working on getting my husband to replace his '97 Ranger with the new Sport Trac in late 2000. The projected price, per Edmund's web site, is comparable to what I paid for my loaded '98 Sport, and I paid around net dealer invoice for that one (I knew about the 3% dealer holdback and took advantage of that in my bargaining). I found it easier to work a deal by ordering what I wanted, than when I purchased my '92 off the showroom floor. No matter what the cost of the Sport Trac, once it's outfitted with a camper shell, it will be perfect to take my drooling dogs to the vet, and do any other type of hauling I now do in my Sport. The Sport Trac will be well worth the wait, and I'm looking forward to buying ours next year!
  • tram75tram75 Member Posts: 1
    The 2001 Sport Trac and 2001 Explorer Sport will both be on sale in January, but the selection will be limited at first. Edmunds website has full price listings for both of these vehicles. If you want to see a lot of great pictures of them, including the new F-150 Supercrew, go to this website http://www.wieck.com/public/index.html and do a search on these vehicles. Enjoy.
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    I saw the 2001 Sport Trac last week at the Washington DC Auto Show. They also had the new 2001 Explorer Sport (2-door). The Sport Trac was a 2WD model which was on a display stand, so you couldn't sit in it. You could, however, sit in the new 2001 Sport.

They both look good in person. I was, however, disappointed in the the 2001 Explorer Sport 4WD did NOT have the Control Trac 4WD with the Auto 4WD mode. Instead they put in the same old-fashioned part-time 4WD from the Ranger. Stupid move Ford!

I have a '98 Explorer with Control Trac, and would not go back to a part-time 4WD system. Ever!

Also, if I'm not mistaken, the Sport Trac and the Ranger Super Cab share the same wheelbase, so they probably share the same frame too.

The 2-door Sport is basicly just a make over of the current Sport. It's not a complete redo. It still has the rear leaf springs as the old model. Same is true with the Sport Trac. The new 4-door Explorer, due out next fall, will have an all-new independent rear suspension.

Bob
  • seth9seth9 Member Posts: 1
    I am under the impression that the Explorer is going to be a new vehicle in 2001 (at least cosmetically). Is this true -- if so when will the 2001 be available? I saw the Sport Trac, but am interested ina more conventonal SUV. Please advise -- Thanks!
  • terry43terry43 Member Posts: 14
    I would also be interested in any info on the 2001 Explorer SUV.
  • zsharkzshark Member Posts: 3
    Has anyone seen one yet? I ordered one five weeks ago and the dealer tells me that Ford has not delivered any yet. Has anyone heared something different than what i have been told? If so i'd like to know if they sit higher than the 2WD version??
  • thadjosh9thadjosh9 Member Posts: 8
    I, too, would be very much interested in any info about the 2001 Explorer 4-door. I did find an article about at http://blueovalnews.com/upcoming_vehicles.htm
    Any ideas if it will look like the 2001 Explorer Sport and Sport Trac? Anybody know of any pics?
  • scoot99scoot99 Member Posts: 18
    With the information that I have been gathering so far, I have found a number of sites to learn about the new Explorer Sport Trac, and Explorer Sport. The best resource so far has been believe it or not Kelley Blue Book Online. www.kbb.com When the site loads you will see a paragraph that talks about new trucks, click on preview new car coming attractions link, then follow it to the explorer sport trac link, to get pricing and options for the vehicle click on the MSRP & Invoice link, it will then ask for what type, click on Sport Utility, then Ford, then Sport trac or sport, then it will ask for the different models, the sport trac link has a pic of the sport trac instrumentation!! I hope this helps!
  • wpoewpoe Member Posts: 41
    Here is a link where I found some pictures of the Explorer Sport Trac http://www.wieck.com/public/index.html
  • wtswts Member Posts: 6
    I actually purchased a Ford Sport Trac on Friday, Feb 11 and it is wonderful. The back seat has tremendous amount of leg and head room. The driving experience is smooth with plenty of power in the engine. After test driving the Dodge Quad Cab and the Nissan Crew Cab, there is no comparison for the space and ride of the Ford Sport Trac. I am so glad I waited to test drive the Ford Sport Trac. I could not be happier.
  • pbanko7pbanko7 Member Posts: 17
    hello,
    can anyone tell me what colors are offered for the sport trac? how about you, wts, who just bought one? do you remember the color choices? thanks!
    wts, was the Dealer willing to negotiate at all? What options did you get?
  • lemur2001lemur2001 Member Posts: 3
    wpoe, I ordered a Sport Trac on 2/12/00. I shopped 3 dealerships. All three accepted my sales price of 3% over invoice. I went with the dealer that gave me the best trade-in allowance. I ordered the Premium Sport Group and Convenience Group options. Can't wait to get it. It's a great looking truck/SUV.
    The colors are as follows - Black, White, Estate Green, Deep Wedgewood Blue, Harvest Gold, Maridina Gold (orange color), Turedo Red. The additional new colors are Island Blue, and a bright red color (I can not remember the exact name). My dealership had a fold out information packet that details the options offered.

In my case, I have already bought 4 autos from this dealer and they were really fair with my trade in and they knew how important it was to get the Sport Trac noticed on the road. I can not even begin to tell you the number of people who have stopped me in the last 5 days just wanting to look at the Sport Trac.

I can truly say it is the best auto I have ever owned.
    My Sport Trac has the Premium Sport Group (step bars, fog lights,16" tires, etc.), the Convenience Group (auto locks, leather, etc.), a sun roof, 6 CD changer in dash (great option). Basically every thing except 4 wheel drive. If you price a 4 door Explorer with these options you would be in the 33K range where as the Sport Trac was in the 27K range. What a deal. The Dodge is around 23K for the stripped model and the Nissan does not even compare with the quality in my opinion.
    Lemur2001, did the dealer give you eta on your Sport Trac? My lease is up in May and I am wondering when to place my order.
    I did not order my Sport Trac so I can't answer your question on lead time. I live in South Carolina and have been keeping up with the Sport Trac via the web. My dealer did not expect delivery until about March. I was lucky enough to have a close relationship with my sales person that was able to purchase the first Sport Trac here. I was really surprised because the town I am from is small and the larger cities within 100 miles still do not have a Sport Trac. I can't really explain this except I am lucky.
  • lemur2001lemur2001 Member Posts: 3
    Dealer gave me a lead time of six to eight weeks and "possibly sooner". I got the feeling that they really couldn't pin down a date.
  • rwebergrweberg Member Posts: 1
    I just ordered a new Sport Trak on Saturday Feb 12th. I test drove the car on a dealership. Loved it. Then sent out several queries via the web. A dealership came back with an offer $100 over invoice. Went in and out in 1 hour.
    4x4, Leather Group, Moon Roof, Premium Sport Group, Convenience Group, Cargo Cage, 4.10 Slip Rear Axle. The only disappointing thing was the color. I wanted silver. I was told 6-8 Weeks for delivery. Can't wait as this car fits my lifestyle to a tee.
  • mbaker4mbaker4 Member Posts: 1
    I am interested in purchasing a new sport trac but my dealer still does not have one in stock and does not know when they will get any. Based on the postings it appears they are out a some dealers. Any ideas when they will be mass distributed to the dealers
    I would give it at least another 3 or 4 months before inventories reach a decent level. Meaning, color, options and so on. Also, this may help with the initial price gouging that normally takes place with a new model release. A dealer near me has one up on a pedestal in blue displayed on the outside of the dealership. Looks great and I feel will sell well.
  • tyjotyjo Member Posts: 6
    was passing a dealer tuesday and saw 5 sport tracs. the dealer would only budge $250 off sticker, so I walked. Ordered one friday at another dealer for $300 over invoice. 5 weeks for delivery, well worth the wait. Larger than Nissan, better built than Dodge. Thanks to all who participate in town hall, Being well informed is great.
    tyjo, I was wondering what did you get on your sport trac, and if you don't mind me asking, what state do you live in? I live in PA and have yet to see a sport trac. Glad to see that they are starting to arrive at the dealerships. Have been waiting since august!
  • soochsooch Member Posts: 5
    I have been looking for the sport trac for a month
    . oday i went to the ford dealer and they had 9 of
    them. they wanted $500.00 under sticker. i will not pay that wait another month and test my price
    $100.00 over invoice. does any body out there own
    one i found the rear seat head rest very unconfertable the sales man and i could not figure
    out how to remove them? . they do not adjust. they
    hit you in the middle to upper back any answers out there. thank you
    I don't know that it makes a difference but I have leather seat and my rear head rest adjust two different ways. It adjust up about 6 inches and has a tilt of about 60 degrees. If the rear head rest is completely down, it overlaps the top of the seat. Simply place you hand on the bottom of the head rest and tilt it back toward the rear glass the adjust the height.
  • tyjotyjo Member Posts: 6
    Scoot, sorry it took so long to get back to you, had to fight the kids to get on-line. I live in the Chicago area and since Saturday 2 more dealers have a S-T. My dealer has none but they are expecting 3 within 10 days(not mine). If you don`t have one by then or your local dealer won`t budge on price we`ll work on getting you one here. About 50 Ford dealers in the area make for good competition(fly in, drive out). Shoot for at least a $1500 discount off sticker. Be patient and ready to walk if you must. Dodge(dakota), Nissan(crewcab), and Toyota(tundra)all tried price gouging and are now dealing. By the way, here are the hard numbers on mine Sport Trac 4x2 only options limited slip(inv.$302) and cargo cage(inv.$166) MSRP $23600- paid $21929+tax. Invoice price $21628. Thanks again to all townhall users, you helped make it easy for me. Good luck Scoot.
    does any body have a sport trac with cloth interior ? do the rear head rest adjust or are they removable. it is hard for me to beleive that two
    salesmen told they do not move and cannot be removed. i have not seen one with leather so i do not know if they are different from the cloth. i am talking about the BACK SEAT HEAD REST
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Ford, for some dumb reason, decided not to offer Control-Trac 4x4 on the new 2001 Explorer Sport-Trac. Dumber still, they removed it from the 2001 2-door Explorer Sport!

I've got Control-Trac on my '98 Explorer, and a part-time 4x4 on my '91 Explorer. There's no comparison -- Control-Trac is much better than the old-fashioned, part-time 4x4 system Ford reverted to.

Bob
    Price gouging is going to take place for the next 3 months or so until inventories come up to speed. If it were me, I would wait.
    I am going to wait it out, until around late august early September, that is when the factory authorized clearance sales are, last year I got a great deal for my son, he got a 99 explorer sport, with a great deal. They always say the best time to buy a 4-wheel drive truck is in the hottest days, not in the dead of winter.
    there is a difference between the leather and cloth i went to another dealer today and the sport
    trac's all had leather. yes the leather does SIMPLY move up & down.
  • bikersullybikersully Member Posts: 13
    Does any know if the high series floor console is available with the cloth interior? Everything I have seen states it comes with the "Leather Comfort Group. The 2001 Explorer 2Dr. Sport it comes with the "Cloth Comfort Group". The Sport Trac has no mention of it with the "Cloth Comfort Group". The dealers don't seem to know and I haven't seen any on the dealer lots. Thanks for your help. Also for pricing in the Boston area I am seeing $200 to $500 over dealer cost.
    available on the Leather Comfort group, I believe. Part of the high series floor console is the audio and the environment control for the back seat and these are not available on the Cloth Comfort Group.
  • bikersullybikersully Member Posts: 13
    The specs say the Sport Trac will tow 5000 lbs. There is no towing package available. Do they come equipped with a class III hitch or is the rear bumper beefy enough to handle 5000 lbs.
    Thanks for any input
This discussion has been closed.