Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Quest 2004+: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    All this on top of the harmonic vibration problem. Not to mention the car is staring to fishtail all over the place after a wheel alignment.

this doesn't sound good. i'd get this inspected immediately. sounds like something wasn't tightened or adjusted properly and may not be safe.
  • dtownfbdtownfb Member Posts: 2,918
    I have the aftermarket DVD system (installed at purchase) the fits under the seat. I woudl go to a reputable audio/video store to see if they can replace the unit. If the setup is the same, you have the unit that fits under the seat and is plugged to the screen underneath via cables. You should be able to replace just the DVD unit.

The cost they quoted you is an entire system, dvd unit and screen installed. You shouldn't need the screen (not unless that was damaged) and there should be very little installation. Find out the company that makes the unit and go shopping elsewhere
    I never looked at the 215/65 size and only concentrated on 215/70. I was told 215/70 size tend to be more for SUV. Looking on Tire Rack, confirmed this. This is why I was looking more seriously at 235/60. There were more all-season tires in this size. Having driven the van in this weekend in the rain, I may have to replace the tires sooner, rather than later.

One thing we forgot to mention is to match load and speed rating.

Thanks for the information on the tire width sizes.

1010tires.com has link where you can compare tires sizes. It also alerts you if the new tire size is too different from the original tire size.
  • pierpier Member Posts: 79
    Yup. Will take it back to Sears Automotive. Its also going back to Nissan on Wed for rebalancing.

By the way, I was cleaning the car out and noted that the rearmost right window leaks.
  • dnd4690dnd4690 Member Posts: 1
    I have a question. Where did they put the antenna? I am having so many problems getting mine installed correctly.
    I have reported this incident to the NHTSA Office of Defects Investigation (ODI Number 10138670). I suggest others do too. Looking for a non-OE tire size is just a workaround. Nissan is the problem, not the tire.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/complain/complaintsearch.cfm
    Over two years, after almost 30 days in the shop, over 50 repairs (including an unresolved vibration issue that took 4 attempts), I am glad to say that I bid our Quest a much-deserved farewell. Nissan bought the car back (not through the lemon law but an 05 sales event promotion) and I have installed my wife and children in a magnificent Murano S AWD. The difference in the build quality is astonishing. Good luck those of you with quality problems, you really deserve better.
    Congratulations pier. I'm glad you were able to get a favorable resolution.
  • spoonieboy1spoonieboy1 Member Posts: 22
    Pier,
    After all the problems you have had with your Quest why would you buy another Nissan product? You are quite an active poster on this forum. You have suffered from numb hands from steering wheel vibrations, vehicle fishtailing all over the road after a wheel alingment, 50 warranty repairs and a multitude of other real or imangined problems. You have had quite a gripe with Nissan. WHY buy another Nissan product?
  • plashenickplashenick Member Posts: 165
    What did they buy it back for? If it has so many warranty issues I would think the car is substantially undervalued?

I ask so we can esitmate the true market value of our Quest SL
  • cirrusscirruss Member Posts: 87
    My Quest SL has the same problem but after having tires balanced 3 times, I just gave up and will tolerate it as long as I can until tires worn out and looks for another set of tires. Personally, my gut feeling on this issue has to do with the type of power steering rack used in this vehicle. I can't speak for other Quest owners, but I notice the steering wheel has a lot of road feedback (you feel the road), and I think it's more than usual for most cars. Feeling every bit of the road is good if I was driving racing car, but not a minivan. I feel that Nissan totally screwed up the engineering of this car.
    Simple economics. No other manufacturer aside from Nissan for was willing to buy me out in total ($20K). I was going to take a $4K hit if I traded it in outside of NMAC (who held my lease). While it is true that I have a gripe with Nissan, it is with Consumer Affairs (notoriously in the vehicle industry), if I buy a Nissan that does not have quality issues, NCA will never hear from me - everyone wins. The gripe is with Nissan because they would not live up to their responsibilities to the consumer when they released a car of inferior quality. The Japanese-built Murano quality is VASTLY superior to the Tennessee-built models. With reference to you inference of imagined problems: when you trust your family to a vehicle's safety, you cannot take any risks whatsoever.
    I agree with you, it is not just the tires but a tire/suspension/steering combination. If you should decide to poll the Nissan service managers in your district, you will find that they regard the Quest as a nightmare. Nissan Technical Support refuses to admit there is a problem because a recall would seriously erode their profitability. The only way to tip the odds in the consumer's favor is to report a case to the NHTSA Office of Defect Investigation (as I did). If there are enough complaints, NHTSA will intervene and force the issue. This is EXACTLY what happened in the recent recall of the Toyota Prius.
    Route 46 Nissan gave me the exact buyout amount quoted to me by Nissan Motor Acceptance Corp (NMAC) around $20K and some change. My 04 Quest S had two years left on the lease. Had I known that it was that easy, I would never had contacted Nissan Consumer Affairs who told me that they did not consider my issue serious at all. In fact the NCA agent told me he could not even get me a free service voucher as an apology.
  • barnsterbarnster Member Posts: 1
    My new 2005 Quest S did not come with the power pedals or seat heating option, but The switches for both are on the drivers seat. Can they be activated by installing the proper fuse in the correct location?
  • fmunoz1069fmunoz1069 Member Posts: 35
    I am having the same problem with my 2004 Quest SL. I have taken it to the dealer 4 times and they have balanced the tires, then I decided to take it to good year and they balanced them twice, then decided I have 2 bad tires and replaced them. The vibration was still there. I mentioned to the tech that the rack felt like it had a spot that felt like it would bind or I don't know felt weird from lets say the 11:00 to 1:00 position. The other problem I have are brakes. My van has 15k on it now and this will be the 5th time my van will be in for brakes. This time they will be replacing the rotors in the front since the last time they cut them. If they can resolved these two annoying problems I feel this is a great van. I love driving this van, even thought I get messages in my hands when driving and in my feet when braking. Ha,ha. I will be calling Nissan tommorrow and file a complaint. I don't want to blame the dealer because I know they have done all they can, plus I know all of them so I know they try harder. Wish me luck.. Good luck to all others with this problem.
    My wife was the primary driver of our 04 Quest S. She noticed the same weird spot on the steering rack at about the same positions as you report. When I drove it, I noticed that on cloverleaf turns, it felt like the wheels were shuddering side ways instead of turning on a track. It was as though the car was skipping sideways instead of actually turning. In the recent wet weather we had in NJ the sensation was even worse. At one point the steering wheel "slapped" back against the desired direction. There was no pothole or irregularity on the road. I urge you to report this to the NHTSA ODI as Nissan refuses to admit to an issue.
    What you are describing sounds more like the tires may have been an issue. Or you were turning too sharply because you were going too fast for the conditions. I've done what you described but simplying slowing up has resoved the issue.

fmunnoz1069: I haven't noticed anything in my steering but something like this could very easily be different for each vehicle. I would try to duplicate the issue and isolate the conditions when it happens. This way others can try the same to see if it is a broad issue or not.
    Actually, the effect did not vary with speed. You are partially right - the tires are part of the problem - they were not properly roadforce balanced. After the fourth balancing attempt, the effect was reduced by 70%. Here's the rub: this effect seems to be prevalent in Muranos too. There, the steering rack, hub assembly and tire size is different. The only common factor I can trace is:

1. Goodyear tires.
    2. Tire pressure monitors. They are quite heavy and can cause a vibration if they are not counterbalanced.
    I have a Murano with out the tpms and I don't have a vibration problem with it. I have been tempted to take the wheels off of my Murano and try them on the Quest. I am not sure I want to go through all this trouble. My dealer has gotten those tires and rims to zero out and the road force is not that high. I called Nissan customer service and they told me that the vehicle has to be in the shop within the past 30 days, so it will be in this week.
    In very last attempt, the roadforce was completely zeroed out and the vibration persisted. Moving the front tires to the back reduced the effect even further but it was still there. The dealer stated that the vibration will always be there and blamed the tire - end of case.

I wonder, all you Quest owners out there with the same issues: is this symptom common amongst the 17'' rims as they are on the 16" rim?
  • majjmajj Member Posts: 17
    tell me how did you convince them to do so,
    because my problems are engine, noise coming from the back, ac broke twice an in summer, stering wheel" a lilttle piece broke, from where ?"sliding doors both, front doors vibriate both, seat 3rd row and 2nd row(wich they just did the recall)
    the car has a great look but the quality is a p of sssssssss.
    some times we no choice than to go back to the nissan dearler to get anothe nissan. this is what I might have to do in next month, I'm wainting on lemon law.
    but if I dont win the case, and I go to another dealer I have to eat around 5k
    my situation goes like this, we got the car on dec 03.
    everything starts we with a noise coming from the back of the car,my engine would accelerated by it self and sometimes stays in 3rd, what it was? not even nissan know!!!!!!! after Ihad it final talked to a manger, "oh yes it is the 3rd row sit mechanisime, then the engine regulator" ok fine. by the time I got home the noise was there. a/c broke twice, steering wheel had a piece of plastic broken inside from where or what? all 4 doors make noise and vibrate. we are waiting for lemon law final result...
    I had and have the same problem with rattles.
    for the door(sliding) they came up with some new pieces.
    but it like you said every time we go, nissan could not duplicate, everything working normal. I have gone so far with them and still oct05 no final decision
    sorry to tell you but the rattle/squeki noise dont go away, I have been aprx10 to the service dept. the tag was loss, too many toys the seats were loss and this one is the most use over and over
    it suck having to pay full price because they could do nothing.
    and the car suckssss everything rattles, doors viabrate, ac broke twice, engine, loss bench ans 2 row seat. and they still refuse to admit that I have a LEMON......
    it been 20 month full of frustration.
    what made you stops, for lemon law.
    I toke mine and I still waiting final decision
    What gets me is that the dealers feel that we have to live with these vibrations. If vibrations persist, it will lead to premature wear of other items in the suspension, like the rack and tie rods. I don't understand how Nissan does not understand that there is a problem with these vehicles. I am curious what would happen if a class action lawsuit were to take place, what happens?

And like you pier, I wonder if people with the 17" or 19" wheels are having the same problem?? I found a company that has rotors that they say are made through a process that make the rotors very strong and they will not warp, and will last 3 to 4 times longer than the OE, according to the sales rep. The price of the rotors is $125.00 each. I have thought about getting them just to eliminate any further brake pulsations. At least one problem will be gone.
    Interesting note on the tire pressure monitoring system.

On my 1989 Buick Century (bought used), I replaced the tires within the first year. Whenever I went over 70mph, the steering woudl vibrate. I changed all four tires and vibration was gone (differnt brand). If nothing is wrong with the steering or suspension, then it has to be a problem with the tires. I think we all know the Goodyears are garbage. I wonder if a different brand would be better.

I have not experienced the vibration. I willhave to replace the rotors soon. Seems like all manufactures are using thinner rotors to save weight.
  • famof3kidsfamof3kids Member Posts: 160
    Guys,
    I hate to see that a few of you are having such problems. I think that one of the critical things is having a good dealer, no matter the brand.

We still love our 2004 Quest SE. We don't have the problems I read of on this board. We had the overhead console squeek, which was resolved. Was a great vehicle on our trip this summer to FL, with three kids and a teenager, averaging ~28MPG.

However, just last week the motor that lifts the rear hatch broke. So, that will be a visit to the dealer. Seems the motor must have come loose from the framing as it fell and took the switch with it and the lifter bar now dangles inside the trim. I'm sure it will be a two visit fix, but, I have a great dealer. :shades:

....26k miles and happily counting.....
    This is the odd thing. Until then, every buyback request was being stonewalled by NCA - I had given up doing things the reasonable way, and was considering legal angles. When my wife brought the car in to a different dealer for the fourth repair attempt, the sales person overheard my wife telling the Service Manager what a burden our Quest was on us. She offered to buy back what we owed to NMAC for the Quest lease (the car was in the shop for over 4 hours so they got a good look at it). The only condition was that we would walk out of the dealership with a Pathfinder (because of the 3rd row seat and price similarity). I was incredulous, but I put them to the test (but chose an 05 Murano S for superior build quality) and they delivered - no catches. I signed the bottom line and away we go! I had to drop $3,100 in a 39 month 12K mile lease that is costing me $12 more a month. Compared to enduring 2 more years of that anchor around my neck, it was worth it.
    If you have a good O4 Quest, coult yourself lucky. Some perspective on the matter:

In 5 years I have leased the following a 01 VW New Beetle, a 01 Subaru Outback, a 03 VW Golf TDI, a 04 Nissan Quest S and now an 05 Murano S. I am in the process of moving to a 06 VW Jetta TDI. I have been a passive reader of forums of all these cars (only the problems with the Quest made me become active). I can without a doubt observe that the 04 Quest forum contains the most complaints about build quality (dealer sales and service seem uniformly bad). Perhaps it is not the vehicle - all new model years have teething problems - but the manufacturer, who is unable keep pace with its vehicle lineup. Nissan re invented it car lineup at a speed than no other manufacturer did. One wonders if they cut corners to beat the clock. They succeeded with models like the Titan and Murano but failed with the Quest. Nissan has an obligation to admit their shortcomings and win over the 04 Quest owners/leasees (sp) with a case-by-case buyback/pull forward lease program.
  • spoonieboy1spoonieboy1 Member Posts: 22
    Pier,
    AGAIN, YOU SURE ARE AN ACTIVE POSTER ON THIS FORUM!!!!!!!!!!!!
    All you seem capable of doing is ripping the Quest. That is not what this forum is about, not just BITCHING but offering solututions. You claim you own a new Murano but still you persist in infecting this forum with your agenda. HOST, Please recongize the quantity and agenda of pier's posts and suggest to pier that instead of taking over this forum he take over the murano forum with his numb hands, 50 warranty claims etc.
    Thank You
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Well okay, it's like this. We all like to complain now and then, me too, but there is a point where the forum itself has to be honored for what it is supposed to do......which is to state problems AND offer solutions.

So the forum isn't really The Complaint Station. If pier didn't like his Quest, which is certainly a valid response if he had trouble with it, well FINE, then he has solved his problem by trading it in.

I agree, though, that "brand-bashing" isn't really a constructive form of posting, so I'd say sure take your swing at a product you don't like but remember you are here to help other people, not just serve your own purposes 24/7....at least IDEALLY that's what a good forum should be.

Okay, shake hands, return to your neutral corners, and remember.....

Problems AND Solutions is what we are about here.

thank you, and I assure you all I will monitor your concerns and intervene as is necessary if things are not satisfactory. Also all parties are free to e-mail me anytime in private.

Shifty the Host
    This is my final statement in this forum since my original post seems to have reached its logical conclusion. Yes, I no longer own a Quest but I never like to leave a problem unresolved.

If problems and solutions is what this forum is about, then my problem (and many other Quest owners) should never had been posted because there is no solution to it. If Nissan does not acknowledge the problem then they are not under obligation to resolve it.

All I can offer to Quest owners that feel the same way as I do (and I see that there are many), is place an online complaint with NHTSA Office of Defect Investigation. If enough cases accumulate, it will force the issue with Nissan.

Some advice, spoonieboy1 - attack the problem not the person. You should practice more restraint in your posts. My unresolved problems with the Quest were a very real concern as the car transported my wife and two children on a daily basis.

Over and out.
    Sorry to see you go pier. Good luck with the Murano.

I guess I am another "lucky" owner. The last time my 2004 Quest S was in the shop (other than maitntenance and inspection) was a year ago for the Customer Service Initiative. I am concerned with the tires on this vehicle because of the odd size and I think Goodyear Eagles are garbage. I'll take care of that when I replace them in a month or so. The rotors seem to warping again. I'll get aftermarket for that if it gets worst.
    I just heard fron bbb, they said no.
    so I tooked your advice by coming into a niss, gues what they wanted to do.
    nissan was offering 14k form my van and sell me anything I want @ cost. down part cost price of murano was 25K + 6k of my balance. I have gone to different manf. and they will give more$. I am so ............ that I contact a LEMON LAW LAWYER. at this point we dont want any $ I want to get off of this van..
    I dont understsnt about the tire my van came with continnental. and the tire pressure idicator is not correct.
    Congrats!!!!! you are so rigth, they will never acknowledge because its too much $$$$$$$. but it might be a solution for some of them out there..... they try with me few things but I"m not happy. also for those who still have the van make not they recall th second row seats. I guess they listen to me...
    I offer this for those who have a quest
    for the squeake noise depend from were it come, my on the back n.s.d said the back bench need it something call seat lever (5+ times), engine or revolutions RPM the install a regulator, a/c install some insulation that was missing, on the kids doors the intall something that just came out (for the noise, and my feeling that door were going to open by itself) the front doors I dont have a solution because they never fix it(unsquare) plus what ever recall manufc. request .
  • terryharristerryharris Member Posts: 40
    You state that this forum is "to state problems AND offer solutions" " the forum isn't really The Complaint Station". The "problem" is 2004 Quest owners who were lucky enough to get a good Quest. The "solution" is for Nissan to rectify these problems and not obfuscate or pretend stupidity concerning them. Those who received the problem Quests should be serviced properly and not made to feel as if they are the problem. If you like your Quest, say so and then let those with the lemons badmouth a firm that will not stand behind their product.

By the way, I was the one who brought the Customer Service Initiative to this forums huddled masses. Mine still has most of the original problems associated with the CSI and numerous more. Yes I could possibly drive two hours and wait forever to get it serviced, but I choose to butt heads with my worthless dealer and try to get good service. It also might help if you used spellcheck once in a while.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I really don't want to argue with you about this. I think I made it clear what the ground rules were in the forum and I think they are pretty fair. If your goal (and I'm not saying it is) is a jihad against Nissan, you really need to go to a government board, or hire an attorney. A forum filled with "badmouthing" is not what we are striving to do here. I'm sorry you are so unhappy with your Quest and I would be too but I'd be putting my energy into places where something might happen. We have no control or influence over Nissan, and I as Host have to try and keep everyone here happy, and most people don't really want to read the same story re-posted many times, with no solution, no result and no progress. If you tell folks (not you but the anonymous YOU out there) that their new car is a lemon, it really irritates them.

So troops, onward into the fog, and let us know of your success stories in getting your Quest squared away. Any new factory info is welcome, too, or recalls or TSBs, etc. All helpful.

Anyone unhappy with the way the forum is being run, please e-mail me privately anytime!

thank you

MrShiftright
    Host
    What size tires do you have?
  • audio96audio96 Member Posts: 1
    The 1x1 LCD odometer seems a bit bright at night. When I dim it, the other gauges are bit bit too dark. The dealer said others have complained as well. I wish they would use a lower wattage bulb or make the backlight orange. Any others find this annoying at night? It's like having a night light on your dash.
  • gg2k2segg2k2se Member Posts: 109
    It's been a while since my last post but my SE has 16k miles on it and its been doing good enough that I would recommend a 2006 Quest to anyone looking. Two of my wife's brothers also bought a Quest after seeing ours, so we've had good luck with 3 vehicles (2 are 2004's, 1 is a 2005). We all liked the contemporary styling and features, which more than balanced out the "slightly" higher quality issues than the other choices (I think both Ody and Sienna have issues on their problem boards too, no vehicle is perfect).

I only get 20-22 mpg on my highway trips, but I drive between 70-80 mph on the highway. Also, I mount different snow tires on my 17" rims each winter and have not had any vibration issues. It's almost time to do it again.
    Not sure what trim level Quest that you have but on mine you can adjust the brightness of the screen through the onscreen menu. Plus there is a dimmer button on the left side of the steering wheel that works like a traditional dimmer. With these two controls, I haven't had a problem like you described.
  • garandmangarandman Member Posts: 524
    I am concerned with the tires on this vehicle because of the odd size and I think Goodyear Eagles are garbage.
    Both Goodyear and Michelin (only brands I checked) make 215/65x16 or 235/60x16 tires that have the same or wider tread width, higher load capacity, and similar rolling diameter to the OEM tires.

OEM tires in general seem to be much lower quality than the same tire purchased from a tire shop. Or 1995 Ford cargo van wore out the E load rating (very heavy duty) Michelin LTX tires that were OEM in 45,000 miles. The Michelin LTX replacements still had significant tread when replaced at 75,000 and 95,000 miles respectively.

The HydroEdge tires on my Subaru have worn only 2/32nds in 42,000 miles (from 11/32nds new to 9/32nds - just amazing), so that's probably what we'lll go with.

I'm sorry to hear about some of the problems 04 owners have but their comments are so shrill or emotional that many of us don't want to respond with solutions.

Our 05 has 18,000 miles on it with zero problems to report.
    You would want to use 215/70 instead of 215/65. There are more selections in these sizes.

I have to agree with you regarding the OEM tires. For some reason the Goodyear OEM are not good tires.

You have to understand many of the 04 owners have endured so many problems with their vans. I have been pretty lucky with mine. Like I mentioned earlier, no issues in the past year. And the major issue I had was the door rattles and A/C, which seemed to have been taken care of. I do have a couple of minor problems (rattle in the rear glass and rear washer spray) but nothing to complain about and I will get it taken care of at the next service stop. It's hard not to get emotional about $25k purchase and often dealing with a service department that gives you the run around or plays dumb. I had a good department in Cooper Nissan. Very upfront about the problems and went the extra step to keep you happy. Too bad I moved and now have to deal with another dealership.
  • joelandsuzyjoelandsuzy Member Posts: 1
    We are having problems with our 2004 Quest in much the same manner you describe. We have been trying to get it fixed and are always told they can't reproduce it. I am about to make a Lemon Law claim.
This discussion has been closed.