Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Quest 2004+: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• dtownfbdtownfb Member Posts: 2,918
    Although the rotors should last longer, they are a wear and tear item. Some have gotten them replaced for free but with less miles on it than what you have.

As mentioned earlier, more manufacturers are making the rotors with thinner and lighter metals to save weight on the vehicle and improve gas mileage. IMHO, I don't think there is that much gas mileage gain. All they are doing is creating another headache for the consumer and another reason why people don't trust the dealerships.

BTW, soon is when you start hearing the brake squeal (when you are not depressing the brakes). many brakes have a wear indicator built in. they will squeal when it needs to be changed. Or you can change them in about 10k miles (30% of 40k is 12k miles).
  • bperkbperk Member Posts: 38
    Hi, Sorry for the late reply, been real busy at work. Anyway, original 2004 quest owners received a Recall notice in the mail called the "Quest Customer Satisfaction Initiative" addressing several issues. You must have had all the work performed by 6/30/05. It addresses the following (verbatim as per the notice), "Squeaks and rattles, ease of component operation, and an air conditioner label replacement. The upgrades will include the installation of a noise reduction kit for the sliding doors and structual insulation in the body above the rear door.Additionally your dealer will replace the driver power window switch, shifter lever, 2nd row seat levers, throttle pedal, and ball studs that mount the rear door support struts". If you want a copy of the notice let me know here and i will fax it over.
    I dont know anything about cat converters but I know they need to warm up to be effective. Does the smell go away after it warms up? The breaks, I have a case open with Nissan and we will be "keeping and eye on it" as they say, sure, we know where thats going dont we.
    Below is the time line for my brake and rotor issues...
    8,261 miles Brakes pulsating Rotors cut 1st time, 21,762 miles Brakes pulsating Rotors cut 2nd time, 26,900 Brakes pulsating Rotors replaced 1st time, 35962 miles Brakes pulsating New rotors cut 1st time, 37500 Brakes pulsating Rotors replaced 2nd time. From the OEM rotors this is 3 sets of rotors. My dealer has been VERY helpful and made evey effort to keep me a happy customer. The dealer is Lynnes Nissan West in stanhope, NJ. The svc dept had been outstanding thus far. Im guessing it depends on the dealership and how they care about their customers and want to retain them. I take all my svc needs to the dealer and would have no problem buying again from them. This is only because the way they have taken care of me. If i felt I was getting screwed I would not feel this way. Yes it is a wear and tear item but take a look here, these rotors are poor quality and pose a safety issue. They are a joke.
  • ajb5ajb5 Member Posts: 3
    I lost my wedding band in the dash board where the screen is. There is a small opening and it fell thru. I was just wondering if anyone ever had to take the dashboard out, and if there was an easy way to take it apart. My husband is in Iraq, and I called the dealership and they will charge 80.00 an hr. They said it may take 3hrs. It just depends on where it dropped down. I just can't afford the cost to find it. :blush::blush:
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Member Posts: 1,681
    If it was me I’d tell the mechanic to look for an hour to see if they could find it. Three hours seems like a lot of looking; but I suppose at $80 an hour I may take three hours as well.

Innocent or not…I’d take the $80 over explaining it to my wife. :shades:
  • kmandekmande Member Posts: 1
    Hi I do have a2005 Quest SL i have the same problem with the the door behind the drivers seat is rattling.I have taken couple times to the dealers and they are not able to fix it.I am thinking of writing a letter to the engineering Dept and see if they have come across or as siad inthe discussion if they need the rattling kit be applied.kindly let me know what is the best approach.
    Thanks
    krishna
  • ajb5ajb5 Member Posts: 3
    I just wanted to let you guys know that a local mechanic, that my son's orthodontist referred me to was able to find the ring in 20mins. He popped the dash at center console unscrewed 4 screws and lifted the console up and there it was. No charge. He was very happy to help me. I will send a thank you note and donuts for the help. :)
  • johnnasjohnnas Member Posts: 1
    Know that your not alone.

I have 2004 Quest SE that I bought new. I have had my van die on at least four or five separate occasions due to random electrical problems. I have had the same clicking sounds too. My dealer also says that I left something on, but we have always had our lights set to "auto" so they turn off automatically and I can't think of anything else I could have left on. At my latest trip to the dealer for related repairs they declared the battery dead and replaced it. My thoughts are either the battery was bad from the start or something with the electrical system ruined the battery. Either way I'm not convinced Nissan and my dealer has a handle on this. As a result my confidence the van is reliable is badly shaken.
  • dvintidvinti Member Posts: 2
    Could you fax the notice to me at 716-881-2053.
    Thanks
    Dave
  • spoonieboy1spoonieboy1 Member Posts: 22
    For all you Quest owners with rotor problems go to post #1427 and #1435. These posts should explain your problem and offer a solution. Also chec out the Pro-Cut website. Look under the Awards dropdown under Nissan.
    johnnas: Do you have anything plugged into any of the power outlets? If not ask them to check your alternator. It's possible the alternator is not properly cahrging your battery while your driving. That could also explain some of your electrical problems.
  • havequest04havequest04 Member Posts: 3
    Is there any way to "prove" the Nissan Quest (2004) has the 5 yr/60,0000 mile warranty to a local dealership? They are refusing service on mine saying that its out of warranty even though I've repeatedly told them that Nissan extended the warranty on my vehicle (and other 2004 Quest vans) to 5yr/60,000. They contacted Nissan at my request today and just now called me saying that even Nissan isn't aware of any extended warranty on the Quest. We just moved and the letter we received from Nissan is packed someplace so I can't produce that immediately. Any suggestions???? :( :lemon:
  • exploder750exploder750 Member Posts: 159
    I just had some 5yr/60,000 bumper to bumper work done on my '04. Kline Nissan in Maplewood, Mn did the work. Have your dealer call them for proof. Sounds like your dealer is doing nothing but giving you a runaround.
  • ahightowerahightower Member Posts: 539
    I never got a letter, or a sticker in my book. What I did was email the Nissan customer service on their website, and got an email reply that it was indeed extended to 5yrs/60K for ALL 2004's. I will try to find that email and forward it to you if you like.

Next step would be to find a new dealer.
    Ivan,
    I feel your pain. I never had any major problems with my 2004 Quest 3.5S. It was a late build, and I believe the kinks had been worked out by then. However, the dealer service was atrocious. It took half a day just for oil changes. One time the hinge on the driver side glove box broke, and when the part came in, they said to drop it off and they would need 30 minutes to replace it. I dropped it off and went to lunch with my wife and kids. Came back 90 minutes later, and they hadn't even started. Then the service manager (Bankston Nissan in Irving, TX) told me that was not possible to do in 30 minutes. He said there would never be a case where I could just "drop in" and get anything done in 30 minutes, not even an oil change. Everything requires an appointment. I told him I was upset about being disinformed, and would not be returning there for service. I asked to have the part and fix it myself, he refused. I then went to another Nissan dealer in Ft. Worth, TX and told him the story. He gave me the song and dance, assured me their service would be better. But, he agreed that it was not a quick deal. To fix this simple little hinge, they had to disassemble the entire dashboard, and it would take at least half a day... I said fine, at least you were able to tell me that up front. He ordered the part (allegedly) and then never called me back at all!

No matter, within a week, we had traded our Quest for a new GMC Yukon XL (my wife has always wanted one, and I got a promotion at work, and they had the employee pricing deals, so we went for it).

I do believe the Nissans are decent products after the first model year or so. Quest and Titan and Armada reliability ratings went way up from 2004 to 2005. But the dealership experience was pathetic. Even the waiting room was tiny, uncomfortable, and not very clean.

I used to laugh when I saw the ratings for dealer satisfaction, service satisfaction, etc. I figured, if it's a good car, you won't be in the service shop that often, so who cares? Just shop for the best price. Also thought it was stupid to buy "luxury" vehicles that are just rebadge jobs of the less expensive varieties. Well, after this experience, and the others on this forum, I can see why people pony up for Cadillac, Acura, and Lexus instead of Chevy, Honda, and Toyota. Nice waiting rooms, good coffee, free loaner cars, and honest service managers are worth every damn penny. Every car has its problems, and the way the dealer handles it is just as important as the problem itself. "Middle class" dealers need to get a clue!
  • carzzzcarzzz Member Posts: 282
    I agree with you that nissan service was pathetic!
    Also, the parts are rare, therefore you have to buy it from them. There are already two burnt map light bulbs in my van and i cant find it anywhere except from nissan dealer. It costs $10 each! Also, i recently notice that the oversized driver side wiper (28 in) is expensive and "buyable" at other places and it costs double over 26 in ones. Last but not least, the tire choice is still being dictated by GY Eagle LS 225/65R16 on lower trims... there is still no perfect fit for almost 3 yr since it is introduced!
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Member Posts: 1,681
    I used to laugh when I saw the ratings for dealer satisfaction, service satisfaction, etc. I figured, if it's a good car, you won't be in the service shop that often, so who cares? Just shop for the best price. Also thought it was stupid to buy "luxury" vehicles that are just rebadge jobs of the less expensive varieties.

I used to think that as well…though I came from an Audi then Infiniti that both had very good service (think I got spoiled there). I dabbled a little bit with an Accord…very bad service as well; similar to the Nissan.

I told my wife when we are ready for our next vehicles (hopefully after a long time) we’ll go the luxury route, even if it’s a CPO’d car.
  • mrl654321mrl654321 Member Posts: 1
    I'm having a hard time fixing a 2004 Nissan Quest that apparently needs a new strut. According to Nissan the part is unavailable until 2/10, leaving me without a reliable car for one month.

First I had a hard time finding a dealer to take a look at the car. Although I live in the Los Angeles area, the closest dealers are all about 10 miles away. The first dealer I called didn't have an opening until a week later. The second one I called said no problem, just come on down, but when I did that I was told I needed an appointment. The third place I called said bring it down but it might be close to the end of the day for them to look at it. I did that and even caught a movie while I waited. However, after diagnosing the problem as a faulty strut, which is under warrantee, they said they didn't have the part in stock. So I made an appointment for a week later. The day before the appointment, when I called to confirm, I was told the part was on backorder. The service rep. didn't know what to tell me and suggested that call the Nissan Consumer Hotline. I did that, but the representatives could only get me an ETA on the part of 2/10/06.

So, my questions are: Is this typical? Is it reasonable to be without a reliable car for an entire month? Isn't it odd that a part that seems so standard should be so difficult to obtain? Is there something else I should try?

My last four cars have been Toyotas, which, of course, has a plethora of service options. I just have an opportunity to purchase my parents van, which I would use for transporting my three kids; however, safety and reliability are essential.
    What kind of van are you being offered? Some older Toyota vans, the Previa I believe, were very unsafe. The Quest is very safe, one of the reasons we bought ours back then. All the safety features that were optional on cometitors at the time were standard on our entry level 3.5 S.
    On its way.
    See my post #1791
    Link: bperk, "Nissan Quest 2004+ Problems & Solutions" #1791, 20 Jan 2006 5:55 pm

If you would also like documented proof of the "Door rattle silence kit" I'll fax over the letter to you also that addresses this issue. Please leave yoour fax #.
  • firecrackerfirecracker Member Posts: 4
    We trying to change a burnt-out, right side brake light on our 2004 Quest. How do you get the cover off???
  • plashenickplashenick Member Posts: 165
    I got my notice by mail. ANyone that says the 2004 Quest does not have 5/60 is out and out lying. Call Nissan 1
    Its in the owners manual under the "Do it youtself section", or follow this...

Remove rear combination lamp mounting bolts.
    Pull rear combination lamp to remove from the vehicle.
    Turn bulb socket counterclockwise and unlock it.
    Remove bulb.
    Install in the reverse order of removal.

I can email you a picture illustrating the bolts.">
    Call Nissan customer service yourself. first have them verify the extended warranty. Second, tell them your story with this dealership. I would follow-up with a certified letter to the owner of the dealership along with proof of the extended warranty and stating that their dealership refused to acknowledge the extended warranty on the Quest. Send a copy of this letter tot he Regional manager.

BTW what is the name of the deealership?
    It's not that odd for parts on a fairly new car not to be in stock. Remember this version of the Quest has only been out for 3 years. So many of the replacement parts may not be readily available. If you feel that uncomfotable driving the vehicle, call Nissan and ask if they can arrange a loaner car at the local dealership until the part comes in.
  • rrobrrob Member Posts: 51
    I agree that with a new model, some parts will be not available, but for a warranty/safety part, like a strut, you should be able to arrange a loaner. That said, my dealer has been good in regard to service on my 2004 SE. I do wish those wiper blades weren't so rare and expensive though, got to replace mine, also. Back to the dealer . . .
    You can get the 28 inch wipeer blade at any auto part store. I think I also saw them at either Walmart or Target.
  • july2004questjuly2004quest Member Posts: 9
    On the wiper blades: Jiffy-Lube sells Rain-X brand blades: $10.99 for the smaller, passenger-side and $16.99 for the larger, driver-side. Installed.
    Hi all, Ive been doing some research on alternative rotors for my 04 as I am so disgusted with the OEM's and constantly going back to the dealer with warped rotors. Anyway... I have found a company that creates a performance slotted rotor for the front and rear. The slots in the rotors are a huge benefit, effectively making them warpless and give you over 200% increase in longevity of lifespan. The company is www.frozenrotors.com. You will pay extra for them but in my view its worth it as i am exausted spending many saturdays at the dealer getting my brakes fixed. I will let you know how I make out after they are installed.
    The "Service engine soon" light came on in my 2004 Quest S (34,500 miles). I checked the fuel cap. Anything else I should check?
  • garandmangarandman Member Posts: 524
    The ones for the Quest are not slotted, they're cryogenically treated to remove stress and prevent warping.

We have 23,000+ miles on ours, and no problems, but we usually replace OEM disks with aftermarket Girlings when available.
    I personally spoke to one of the engineers of this company as he said that you should use slotted cryoenic ones on the front and the regular cryogenic ones on the rear because of the weight of the vehicle. He said they will make slotted ones seperately for the front for $40.00 extra fo reach front rotor.
    Drilled or slotted rotors have been common on sports or racing cars for many years. The Quest isn't particularly heavy compared to many trucks or SUV's. But let us know how they work out for you.
    I had the Service Engine Soon light come on about a week or so ago. Not flashing or anything. I went to Advance Auto Parts for them to check the code. It showed P0745 - Pressure Control Solenoid Circuit malfunction. The guy at Advance didn't have a clue as to what could be a problem.

Before I take it to the dealer, can anyone give idea as to what could be the problem?

Thanks
  • eyeblindeyeblind Member Posts: 156
    I had the Service Engine Soon light come on in my van back at 3,000 miles. I now have 20,000. My invoice from the service department stated that " Isolated concern to A/F sensor and ECU programing failure. Replaced B2 A/F sensor, reprogramed AMED ECU" I don't know what the heck that all means, but what ever it was I haven't had a problem since.
  • jmaszkjmaszk Member Posts: 1
    I have an '05 Quest, with approx 7000 miles on it, and I am experiencing the same thing you are. I have noticed that it is randomly making a loud metallic bang in the engine when I start the van. It seems to be worse the longer the van just sits there before starting up...once you start up, there is no longer any noises, and stopping and restarting don't replicate it. By the way...for me, the engine just has to be cold...it can be warm out and the starting "bang" occurs...I live in Phoenix.

Is there anyone else out there who is experiencing this issue with their quest? I would like to find out as much as possible, so I can get the dealer to fix this serious problem. :confuse:
  • mecquest04mecquest04 Member Posts: 7
    We had a similar issue on our Quest around the same time as your other reply (around 3k miles). Similar replacement item as them as well. Havent seen the lamp since. We are at 33k now.
    Anyone get any satisfaction from Nissan1 or from elsewhere regarding brake issues on an '04? Just paid $500 for fronts and rears with rotors turned (on the vehicle by the way as they should be). Anyone get warranty coverage or reimbursement based on the problem being so widespread? Doesnt sound like Nissan stepped up to the plate on this one at all. TIA
  • jimb14jimb14 Member Posts: 2
    I also have sliding door rattles in my 2005 Nissan Quest. I see there is some sort of anti rattle kit available. If you could tell me how to obtain this info, I would be grateful.
    Take it in to the dealer. Just had them installed on ours. No charge.
    My experience with this issue that I had was resolved by low oil level in the engine. I checked the oil level one morning after the engine was making the noise on an especially cold morning and it was low. I topped it of with one quart and all was OK after that. I then took it to the dealer for an oil change just to be sure. Since the last oil change we have not expereinced this noise and its been well below freezing here in NJ. So right now my concerns have been resolved as far as I can see due to low oil. Ive been keeping and eye on the oil level reguarly and aal seems well, level is the same after many weeks.
    The door rattle kit was for the 2004 model. If they did not address this issue with the 05's then Nissan has really messed up and dropped the ball. Check the TSB's for the 2005. Here is the link ...

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/recalls/recallsearch.cfm
    I had my dealer here in NJ replace the rotors for FREE under warranty. Also the many times I had them cut was FREE also. I guess it depends on the dealer and how they treat their customers for retention.
    What was the mileage on yours when you had this work done?
    Anyone buy aftermarket wheels for a Quest?
    Do the 200-2003 wheels fit? Or Altima or other Nissan wheels?
    See my history on this problem. bperk, "Nissan Quest 2004+ Problems & Solutions" #1792, 20 Jan 2006 6:08 pm

Guess what! Wifey is complaining that the steering wheel is vibrating again with the 3rd set of rotors... aggghhh.
    There only 2000 miles on these rotors... agghhhh.
    Its a good job I ordered a set of frozen rotors for the front wheels over the weekend. As I posetd before Im installing a set of frozen rotors on the front and rear of the van as I am exhausted with this issue. The front with shipping cost me about $250.00. I'll keep ya all posted how I make out with them.
    The brakes may not be the culprit. A couple of posters psoted about problems with the steering wheel vibrating. the solution had to do with an adjustment in the steering rack while under load. If I remember right it took a few visits to the dealer to get it resolved.
    When I got new tires they forgot to Balance and had a vibration over 60mph. After balancing the issue went away; drover over 80mph to test
    Wife got my car filler yesterday, but Fuel gauge read 1/4 full. DTE said 80 miles (which corresponds. Brought it back to stations and checked that the tank was full (1/2 hour after initial fueling). The tank was full, and the gauge was saying 1/2 full (138 DTE). Next morning car was still saying 1/2 full. I am bringing this to the dealer as it may be a computer / sensor problem.

Anyone ever have this trouble?
This discussion has been closed.