Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Quest 2004+: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• shenkarshenkar Member Posts: 159
    raul...I never thought it would happen, but I agree with you completely. Is this a great christmas, or what!

BTW, have they succeeded in fixing your rattles yet? And does anybody know what happened with the guy who had the leaking skyview roofs?
  • steve290steve290 Member Posts: 25
    Seems to be a lot of complaints in this area. I am seriously considering the Quest, but am very concerned about this issue, I can't imagine driving on long trips with this problem. Does Nissan acknowledge the problem and, if so, when do they plan on fixing?
  • raul4raul4 Member Posts: 95
    shenkar - Yeah, that is proof positive that miracles do happen (LOL).
    There has been no success with the rattles but I remain optimistic. My van goes back in about ten days.
    I, too, have been curious about the leaking skyview roof. Hopefully, it has been fixed.
    Steve, as my friend raul4 has eloquently stated, a major purpose of this forum is to alert potential buyers to problems that have been experienced by Quest owners so that you are able to pursue your purchase armed with knowledge that has been gleaned from the experiences of others...knowledge that you otherwise would glean only after your purchase. The desired results would be that you would be able to investigate whether these issues affect your particular van, and have them rectified before you finalize your purchase.

Please do not be misled into thinking that any of the issues you see here affect all Quests, or even the majority of Quests. There is nothing to suggest this is the case, and many Quest owners have not had any of the problems you've seen here.

In my own case, I had terrible door rattles, but they have all been eliminated by a very simple process that has been outlined in this thread. On the other hand, my HVAC system has been flawless...even outperforming the 3 Mercedes automobiles in our mini-fleet.

I think most of the issues that are posted here are issues that have cropped up at the beginning of the individuals ownership cycle. As those initial issues are resolved, and as more miles are placed on the vehicles, few new problems seem to have cropped up.

I now have in excess of 9,200 miles on my 2004 Quest SE (whew!). This surely puts me at or near the head of the pack on this forum, in terms of seat time on the new Quest, and my experience has shown the Quest to be a reliable, powerful,versitile and comfortable car.

Including the rattles, which I corrected myself, I have not had to take my Quest to dealer for a single issue. That's a pretty good record for any car, and particularly an all new model like the Quest. Others have had experiences that are both better and worse than mine.

The long and the short of all this is that the Quest is a fine choice, among a number of equally good choices. If you do buy one, I think you'll enjoy it.
  • boa35boa35 Member Posts: 21
    When I first got my SL, I lost interior lights each time the 15A "BCM Battery Saver" fuse repeatedly blew. (It supposedly also controls a lot of memory devices.) I had it in to the dealer about three times before they discovered that several other fuses in the under-dash block were installed incorrectly, i.e., wrong amp fuses were found in several slots. Presumably this happened at the factory; although they did of course ask if I'd been screwing around with them. Never did get all the details--they seemed to suddenly became somewhat "wary."
    Anyway, after they got the correct fuses in the correct slots, I've never had any more problems.
    I do very little driving at night but I discovered recently that the controls (cruise, radio, etc.) on the steering wheel do not glow at night. Is it the same on other makes? This is my first vehicle with controls on wheel. At night it is a bit tricky to find those controls.
  • niceguyniceguy Member Posts: 20
    After taking his 2004 Quest S to the car wash, my brother noticed that the black plastic between the front and the sliding doors got loose and eventually came off because of the wind (sorry I don't know what it's called)... so, for those of you that plan to wash your vans at the car wash, please pay attention to that plastic parts. As for my brother, he'll wash his van at home from now just to be safe.

Happy Holidays all !
  • shammond1shammond1 Member Posts: 15
    My door rattles and clunck from the back were taken care of by the dealer on my second visit. I have no complaints now.

Someone asked about heat out of the ceiling vents in the rear. They are for A/C only and the heat comes out from the sliders ect.

Regarding the steering wheel controls not being lit up at night. It is a design flaw really. I think all steering wheel controls should be lit up at night. My Dodge dakota doesn't light up either.
  • jimbo_colo2jimbo_colo2 Member Posts: 11
    Steering Wheel Controls. I don't look at them in the daytime, so I have no need to look at them at night. They are labeled to enable one to learn their locations, then by "feel" one can operate them. Personally, I am happy to have all those dash lights moved to the center and wouldn't want any on my steering wheel.
  • ord62ord62 Member Posts: 26
    I found more information about my heating by further testing. The vent heat located at the rear bottom of the front Driver and front passenger seat is actually controlled by the front climate controls and not the middle overhead control.
    The overhead control unit controls the overhead vent and the third row floor vent.
    But I am still confused if it is possible to vent warm air on the overhead ventilation ducts as the front ducting can. I am only getting cold air being vented at the overhead ducts even though I have the vent direction between the BLUE and RED zone. Maybe this is how it is designed but I am waiting a respond from a Nissan Engineer.
    So far most of my problem has not re-appeared and I hope none will be back again.
    The only problem I have now is the flimsy sliding door design where I really have to hold the door everytime I open or else it will really tump hard and feels it's about to get destroyed(no cushioning). Maybe I should have gotten the power sliding door option.
    My biggest concern is that I've had so many problems with my new 2004 Quest that I hope the safety features will work when I really need them and not to find out that they missed these items too. I'll just hope they will.
  • weldonrweldonr Member Posts: 6
    Intermittantly, when I place the vehicle in reverse, the Read Parking Sensor indictor comes on as if I am too close to something. It goes on solid and will not turn off until changing out of reverse. If I turn the vehicle off and try again, it goes away. I have not reported it yet to the dealer since it is so intermittant. Has anyone else had this problem?
  • ron1027ron1027 Member Posts: 9
    We've had it go off unexpectedly for a couple of reasons. Any snow, ice (or waterbeads), or accumulations of road salt/grit seem to set off the sensors. Try to keep 'em free of snow, ice, or grunge- you can't do anything about the rain (unless you never take it out on rainy days!). We've also found that when backing out of our relatively flat driveway, the sensors will go off as the rear of the van nears the transition with the street. The only thing I can figure is that the sensors "see" the incline towards the crown of the street. I've also had this experience at my in-laws where their driveway has a much steeper incline. I don't know if there's a fix for this or an adjusment- the sensors look like there is no means to re-aim them.
    Yep! Same behavior with mine. Dealer says nothing you can do except turn 'em off. Major annoyace.
    Take a look at the responses you already got after that post!
  • fsmmcsifsmmcsi Member Posts: 792
    The reverse proximity sensors on other vehicles will also alarm when backing downhill towards a rise in the pavement, so there is nothing wrong with the Quest.
  • weldonrweldonr Member Posts: 6
    I have had it happen on completely level surfaces. Perhaps it is water beads as it has been quite wet here recently but I remember turning the car off and on and the problem went away.
  • drssyoondrssyoon Member Posts: 27
    Well, I got too complacent about my sensors complaining when nearing curbs, shrubs, etc. Ignored dire warnings and continue to backup - cruch - tore off one of my mud flaps. That'll teach me... As my wife said, why bother having a backup sensor if you don't listen to it.
    drssyoon, I feel your pain. I'm writing this 5 minutes after returning from droping my SE at the body shop to have the rear bumper cover replaced.

Backed into a lamp post in a shopping center parking lot. The senser is an annoyance because it's like chicken little...it screams like the sky is falling so much, we don't believe it when it's giving us a real warning.

Well, annoying or not, I think it's really needed in these vehicles...these are some BIG mini-vans.(:^))
  • gg2k2segg2k2se Member Posts: 109
    No, not Bush's CIA agent leak, but water from the sunroofs. My son noticed a dripping out of the coat hook between the 2 rear roof panels on my SE while driving on the highway. The dealer could not recreate the leak with a hose so declined to fix it. I believe it's minor enough that it only happens at speed (possible a slight vacuum inside the car due to airflow?) So I have to wait till a rainstorm and drive over to the dealer to show the leak.

As for the sensors, mine give off some of the same false warnings but it certainly helps me get within 6 inches of other cars when parking so I like it.

I asked the dealer if they knew of any firm fixes for rattles and they gave me a "Rattle" form to fill out with my description of the location and type of sounds. I've heard a few sounds but they are intermittent so I have not tracked them down yet. The most audible one is an occasional "squeak" coming from behind my left ear somewhere. I've tried sitting in the back while my wife drove, but of course the squeak wasn't occurring then.

Only minor issues so far, everything else is great.
  • samuelgsamuelg Member Posts: 36
    I have an SL with 800 miles. We took it on a 5 hour trip to Washington DC, and only noticed the hot air problem when we were in stop & go traffic on the highway. The interior got very warm, as if heat from the engine was being absorbed into the passenger compartment. The whole front dash/console area would get warm, as if the engine heat was not being dissipated adequately. At normal high way speeds, this was not a problem, as there was probably enough airflow under the hood to cool things off.

Back at home and around town, the excess heat is very noticeable, and it's January! There is no way this thing will be tolerable in the spring or summer time.... the AC will have to be on all the time. And of course, this will add a lot of extra heat load to the AC cooling system.

This problem was kind of hard to debug while driving to DC. I played with all the air vent settings & fan speeds before I concluded what was going on. I had read about it in this forum & hoped it would not be an issue. Unfortunately, it appears to be a real problem. The consistency of this occurance among many people on this forum indicates it's probably a design problem.

Has anyone gotten an explanation or fix from Nissan about this problem?

Thanks.

Sam G
  • terryharristerryharris Member Posts: 40
    In response to gfowler's post, I had the first problem today with the door closing. It was 7 degrees Fahrenheit this morning and after parking outside at the gym the door would not close completely. The back of the door remained protruding from the side of the van. After pushing hard on the back the auto-close feature reactivated and locked it shut. The problems from my other post are mostly fixed. The bulk of the rattles from the doors and seats were fixed with lubrication....sloppy but effective. The trailer towing electrics that were missing on delivery are now installed. I have a repainted new central console....scratched at delivery. Paint problem on driver sliding door still awaiting the magical arrival of the Nissan rep to evaluate the problem. Front end damage caused by reckless driver on I-95 fixed perfectly by dealer. The overhead console has been worked on twice and still makes noise on slightest road irregularity. I love the van but niggling problems make the driving experience frustrating. Worst of all is the dealership (Jeff Schmidt in Fairborn, Ohio) attitude each time that I take it in. It is usually the attutide that they may not be able to fix it and that Nissan does not tell them anything. They also use the excuse that with all of the new Nissan models Nissan is having a lot of problems with the early production goofups.
  • cirrusscirruss Member Posts: 87
    I was talking to a good friend of mine who works in the service dept of a nissan dealer about the problem with the leaking Skyview. He have so far had about 4 that came in with leaks.

The first one they had took them several days to fix because he said Nissan had no bulletin out on this problem. They ended up calling an auto glass installer to come out and pulled the headliner out to locate the leak. They found a seal on the rear portion not installed properly. After replacing the seal, the problem was fixed.

He mentioned that because each skyview is a big piece of glass stretching front to back of the vehicle (even though it looks like 2 seperate piece inside the vehicle), with a little flexing on the roofline along with the bad seal, this is where the problem is coming from. So far, all the ones they fixed had the exact same leak from the same area.

Just out of curiosity, I asked if he had any new Maxima with the skyview come in for leaks and he said no, probably because the glass is so much smaller.
  • dtownfbdtownfb Member Posts: 2,918
    Sam G.: I would call your Nissan service department to let them know about the situation. They may have a fix for the problem now but if not at least you get it documented for when they get a solution.

I've had my Quest for a week now and we love it. it is at the dealership getting the DVD player installed.
  • dkiwondkiwon Member Posts: 15
    has anyone else run into this? when it is cold outside and the van is cold, when i turn my lights on, all the dashboard controls light up immediately except for the 5 heating/ac controls. it seems that depending on how cold it is outside, the delay varies - if it isn't too cold, then maybe a few seconds, but when it's cold (below freezing) it can take upwards of a couple of minutes before those control knobs light up.

not a critical problem, but an annoying one nonetheless when it's dark and you have to feel around to figure out the heat settings. i'm taking it in to get checked tomorrow, but let me know what you think.
  • carmama1carmama1 Member Posts: 2
    I purchased my 2004 Nissan Quest SE in late August. First problem was noticed oil leaks in driveway. Took it in repair and they had to replace main seal in engine. In order to do this, they had to drop the transmission to get at it. Problem 2...Air conditioner stopped blowing cold air. Problem 3...passenger seat belt clip snapped off, weatherstripping on rear left slider not attached and coming loose.

It is going in for its 4th time next Tuesday. Gas door won't release when release button is pressed, rumbling sound when accelerating beyond 10 miles, one of the captains chairs in second row will not lock in place.

Should never buy a models first year out. I knew that. I never will again. If Nissan stands behind this vehicle and continues to take care of the problems efficiently....I will be a Nissan customer for life. Glad I bought the extended warranty.

Oh yeah....sometimes the radio doesn't work no matter what buttons I press. (or cd player) then all of a sudden, it magically comes on???

Any one else with my unique problems.

Door rattle seems very minimal, probably because of all the other things.
  • tsytsy Member Posts: 1,551
    Has anyone noticed a popping noise when the radio is on and you start the van? It's quite loud and I wonder if I am damaging the radio.

The squeaks have returned in the driver's sliding door, the passenger door is still doing fine after being adjusted by the dealer. I am going to systematically WD-40 one contact point at a time to find which one is causing the problem. Maybe Nissan needs to re-engineer these contact points?

Otherwise the van has been doing great. We had snow here in Seattle and had no problems. I purposely tried to get stuck in 7" of snow and couldn't. Also moved a very large executive desk in it- I can't even do that with my full sized SUV. Great van.

tom
  • happydave_cthappydave_ct Member Posts: 6
    I live in CT, and today my wife experienced the exact same problem with the power passenger door not closing properly. It is about 10 degrees here. This is actually the second time this happened -- the first was also during a period of cold weather in early December (just before we had that blizzard). The most annoying part about it is that the light stays on in the cabin (not to mention that our newborn sits in the seat right next to it). No problems with the dealership previously, and I will not hesitate to return to them to fix it. As it turns out, my wife was able to get it to close properly after she had driven around a bit.
  • dinkeldorfdinkeldorf Member Posts: 2
    It's been much colder than normal here lately with tons of snow, even on the coast. The sliding doors can freeze shut. Luckily you can walk through from the front. Also the spring return on the front door handles can freeze so the door wont latch closed, but they can be locked once inside.
  • jbh1993jbh1993 Member Posts: 1
    Bought a new '04 Quest, 4 days later both passenger doors started to rattle, like they were going to fall off. Dealer couldn't do anything. Waiting on new designed weather stripping. Four months and counting.

Dash molding, rear hatch molding, floor molding, all coming loose, Dealer replace one front panel, waiting for another. Rear audio control fell out almost hit passenger in the head, dealer super glued back in, looks real bad. Noticed front diver's tire low, dealer found stem was pinched during assembly. Now the Driver's side window motor will not work.

Going back into shop on Monday for the 9th time in four months to see if it can be fixed and how long it will take to get part. No doubt dealer will test drive yet again, 300 test driven dealer miles and counting.

Called 1-800-NISSAN1 talked to Julie, whom we have been dealing with for four months. Initially she was very reassuring, saying Nissan would stand behind product. Told us we should compensated for the loss of the vehicle during times of repair. Suggesting rental assistance.

We are going on vacation, I am uneasy about having molding come loose, and windows not working, I feel it is a safety issue. Asked if Julie could get us rental assistance. Nissan denied request, they didn't see an issue with molding falling from the roof of the vehicle, while driving. Apparently it poses no safety risk. Since request was denied, can't get a hold of Julie, will not even leave voice mail explaing Nissan's position.....

Just found out that Nissan has released the newly designed weather stripping, however it is now at a depot, but will be here in three weeks. Apparently Nissan still uses Pony Express instead of Federal Express.

I'll never buy Nissan again!
    Came out of the movies with our 2 kids, zero degrees outside and the right sliding door would shut, beep, then open. It never actually latched. Turned off power doors and I held the door in place while wife drove home.

By the way, you can turn off all interior lights with the master switch on the left side of the dash board (at least in my SE). It has 3 positions; all on, all off and on/off depending on doors.

So I took a 1 minute video tape of the door opening to take to my dealer. This prevents the "sorry we can't do anything since we didn't witness it" syndrome). It's probably cold related, but I'll insist on a dealer analysis and fix.
  • mitchdocmitchdoc Member Posts: 18
    I am in Canada and it has been below 0* F 3 straight days. The Quest SE is kept outside since it doesnt fit in the garage. Past 2 times using it the doors would close once opened. Problem resolved after car was warm for a while so I am sure it is a temperature thing. That said this ia s a hazard and danger and Nissan bette rhave a fix!!!!
  • cirrusscirruss Member Posts: 87
    After doing some shopping this afternoon, got back in the van and notice no sound coming out of the radio or CD. Tried every button possible including turning it on and off but still not a hiss. All the display seems normal and all buttons function accordingly, so there is power to the unit. Then I stopped for dinner at a restuarant and drover home afterwards, and whithout touching a single thing in the van the radio worked again. Definitely have to keep an eye on it for the next few weeks.
  • vince14vince14 Member Posts: 55
    vince14 Dec 22, 2003 10:03am

symtom: itermittently, when starting car, audio system turns on and works, but no sound! No button combination will change it. We had the radio replaced and still have the problem, they now have a new volume control assembly on order. Will keep you posted, Only cure is turning off the engine, wait a few seconds, and fire her up again.
  • pulisubspulisubs Member Posts: 39
    I've been following this forum for a while, since we decided to buy the Quest. After we bought our SE in the last week of Oct, I started looking for rattles, hot air problem and (recently) the door closing issues.

I hadn't seen the first two issues and was pretty confident I'd never face the third since we live in Orlando, FL.

Well, today we went to Tampa and that was when I first noticed the hot air problem. My wife was driving and noticed the heat from the floor. Sure, it was hot as hell, after about 15 mins of driving. Our fan was off so that was strange. Then, when we engaged the Dual A/C at around 72 degrees, things cooled down.

The temperatures today in Tampa/Orlando were in the lower 40s. And lo! The sliding doors wouldn't open and if they did, wouldn't close. Same with the rear hatch door. Initially I thought it may be a lubrication problem, perhaps the lubricant froze (???). Then I noticed something stranger. If I used the overhead buttons in the front, the doors/rear hatch would open/close without a hitch. But, using either the door handles outside or the little black buttons inside, they wouldn't work. Wouldn't work even after the car was warm. They were working in the morning when the temperatures were in the low 60s. Have to test it again tomorrow in during daytime.

But, fortunately, we haven't faced the door rattles (yet). There was some noise today on the right side, which sounded strange. On further investigation, it turned out to be the carry out pack from our local Chillies rubbing against the seat :-). So, I still have to see the rattles, although I hope I won't.
  • jimbo_colo2jimbo_colo2 Member Posts: 11
    "Then I noticed something stranger. If I used the overhead buttons in the front, the doors/rear hatch would open/close without a hitch. But, using either the door handles outside or the little black buttons inside, they wouldn't work."

Do you have the "hands-on option" of opening/closing doors turned off? (second button from the left on overhead console)
  • wyman40wyman40 Member Posts: 2
    I own an SL purchased in Oct 2003. The past 2 weeks temps have been in single digits and there has been no snow or rain. I have had to keep car in driveway. During these past weeks I've experienced three problems, one of which infuriated me. First two items - passenger window will not open and car does not 'beep' when I lock from remote (which makes me have to turn back and double check the doors only to find it has indeed locked)- are annoying and I attributed them to the temperature. The third problem occurred yesterday: Passenger side automatic sliding door would not close once opened. It would beep, slide almost closed, then open right up again. I could not force it to remain closed. This happened in a grocery store parking lot, temperature was -1 degrees, car had a couple hundred dollars worth of purchases inside, and I had my very young child with me. After checking manual and speaking with people at the Nissan dealership (neither of which were helpful, to be honest) I tried cleaning the tracks around door. There was no ice, dirt, sand, etc. and still the door would not close. I was told there was no manual override which would have allowed me to close the door. After almost 20 minutes in the freezing cold trying to fix the problem I finally had to drive home with the door open. Does anyone know if there is some way to turn off the automatic passenger door? Or is there a fuse that we could use for this purpose? I ended up parking the car at home so the sun shone directly on that door, and later in the day my husband was able to get it closed enough to grab and lock it. After reading others' comments on this site I am sorry I hadn't read them before purchasing this car. I did like the car a lot, but this door issue is unacceptable. We have three young children and purposely bought this car for it's reliability and safety. There was nothing reliable nor safe about what happened to us yesterday.
    wyman40, sorry to hear about your trouble yesterday. I had a similar issue with the beep, and my salesman showed me that if you turn the remote so that the buttons face the ground, and press both the open and close buttons at the same time with your thumbs, it will switch the beep on or off. If yours is off now, doing this should turn it back on again. If not, check your settings on the dash screen to make sure it is also set to on there.

I have not had any problems with the sliding doors on my van, and we have been down to 18 or 19, so this may be an isolated incident for you. Anyway, you can manually close the door just by pushing it closed, so I'm not sure what kept yours from being closed that way.
    You were right about the 'hands-on option' button turned off. That should have been the first place to check for me anyway. Thanks. My wife must have hit the button accidentally during her several trips back and forth within the van (she just gets a kick out of being able to 'walk' inside the van).

I was following the discussion about 'style' not being executed well inside the Quest. I have some input on that. Does anyone have the problem of the interior roof light buttons getting stuck (all rows) while switching on/off? I need to press it at a certain angle and with care or the buttons get stuck.
  • wyman40wyman40 Member Posts: 2
    I will try your suggestion for the remote to correct the 'missing beep' problem. Thanks! As for the passenger sliding door....Both my husband and I did try to manually shut the door many times, but we were unable to get it closed. Right before reaching the closed position, the door would automatically open again, no matter how hard we tried to pull it closed. It was impossible to keep from opening. Will let you know how our visit to Nissan service goes.
    After nearly four months and three attempts (last one overnight) I am happy to say that the rattles in the sliding doors have been eliminated. The tech, working with the people at Nissan, found that the bolts in the guide to the sliding doors were too short. It has been a week since the fix was made so I am pretty well convinced that replacing them with the longer bolts have eliminated the rattles.
    I am now once again enjoying my new van.
    Just some more info from my weekend experience (see post above). I tried shutting my passenger sliding door 4 different ways, with the key fob, push buttons by door, push buttons overhead and manually with the doors turned OFF on the overhead. Nothing worked. the door would shut, then beep and reopen as if something was caught.

With the auto doors turned OFF on the overhead, I could shut the door, but it would not pull in and latch, which is why I had to hold it shut from the inside while driving home.

The next morning (Saturday) the door was fine which eliminates something caught in the track. Then the next evening it didn't work again, so I highly suspect that cold affects one of the latching components. For me the problem started at about zero degrees. It worked fine on Sunday when the temperature was 15-20 in mid-state NY.

My dealer is unaware of this problem (surprised?) and suggested it was ice. I told them I fully checked as many variables as I could and strongly believe it to be a sticky/faulty component at cold temperatures. So they will call Nissan and get back to me, hopefully with something useful.
  • happydave_cthappydave_ct Member Posts: 6
    First, I am glad to hear that others have experienced the door closing problem that we had and it seems to confirm that cold weather is the culprit.
    Weird thing happened on Saturday (a day where the temperature was in the single digits). I was driving around with my kids and after stopping at the grocery store for about 20 minutes, I came out and found that my SE would not start. The engine would turn over, but shortly thereafter (basically, in the time it would take to shift from Park to Reverse), would stall. Not sure if it was bad gas, the weather, or what, but it took me about 10 minutes before I got it running again. As soon as I got it running, I basically peeled out of my spot before it stalled. To be sure, I took it to a gas station and filled up with Super. No problems the rest of the day. I am hoping it was related to my gas and not to the engine's performance in the cold weather.
  • samy_casamy_ca Member Posts: 5
    I have received my QUEST SE on Dec 03 (August Production). I have the same problem and it was on the day I went to pickup my van in front of the sales manager. Initially they thought it is related to water freeze after the car wash since it was a cold day, But it ended up to be related to the Sliding door Lock cable getting stuck on cold days, which is not acceptable since I live in Canada with -20 C is common in the winter. I took the car back to the dealer where they ordered the inside cable lock for the door and another piece of electronic and they mentioned that I am case # 2 out of the 50 cars they sold. Now I am waiting on a back order parts that Nissan doesn't have in stock. Since this is a safety issue, I have requested a rental until the parts arrive. My advise for anyone who lives in cold city to keep a piece of robe as a stand-by in the car and make sure to turn off the power assist mode while trying to close the door if you face this problem. Another Tip if your lights stay on due to the problem you may need to disconnect the battery overnight or locate a fuse to just turn off the light (I wish they have description for fuses as part of the owner manual). FYI, the dealer couldn’t find any fuse that just control the automatic doors.
  • rickpctrickpct Member Posts: 71
    Deciding amongst the Quest/Odyssey/Sienna for next car purchase in March.

Appears that Quest has 2 issues - doors sticking and the AC problem. Are these issues with all models SL and SE or just SE. I recall someone having the sticking door and spraying WD40 to fix it - are there any other door issues? AC problem bothers me - I'll have to test the heater/AC when I test drive again.
  • gmiller_vagmiller_va Member Posts: 3
    Has anyone else had problems inadvertently activating the overhead console buttons? I'm not sure this is a Quest problem as opposed to an Owner problem, but I couldn't find a "2004 Nissan Quest+ Owner Problems" forum.

On at least four different occasions, I've bumped into the overhead console buttons while climbing from the passenger seat into the back to deal with the kids. Beep, beep, beep. . . both sliding doors and the rear hatch open up. Good thing we were parked each time, although once the rear hatch almost hit the top of the garage door opening (yikes!). I'm not that big a guy, but I don't seem to be able to climb in back without knocking into those buttons with my shoulder, or butt, or whatever. I'm thinking it would be nice to have some kind of retractable cover over the buttons or something. Am I the only klutz who has had this problem?
  • ronoboyronoboy Member Posts: 32
    We also have the radio problem in our van (S version), it has happened two or three times, as with other posters the display lights come on but there is no sound. We dropped our daughter off at school this morning and it wasn't working, when we started the van again it was working. I checked the fuse panel but didn't see anything obviously wrong with the audio fuse. If anybody discovers a reason or comes up with a solution please let us know - we probably won't bring it in until the first oil change to have this checked unless it stops working all together...
  • mitchdocmitchdoc Member Posts: 18
    Spoke to my dealer ship on the phone am not sure exactly the problem witht eh doors in cold weather but he did mention something to do with the latch and we will be going in when we can to fixi it
    gmiller_va, you are not the only one having the overhead console buttons problem. I'm not a big guy either (and nor is my wife) and we inadvertently hit the overhead buttons pretty regularly, most recently hitting the 'hands-on option' button. Like you, I fear one of these days I'm gonna activate the hatch door and hit my garage roof :-(.

A retractable cover over the buttons would be a nice idea. Perhaps we can suggest to Nissan for enhancements in future models.
  • tobleronetoblerone Member Posts: 19
    Hello everyone. We are about to get out of a 2001 Mitsubishi Montero Limited and into a 2004 Quest SE. We have loved our Montero, but Mitsubishi service has been horrible. We have exhausted all dealerships within driving distance. So, the Mitsu is going! We just turned in a 48 hour test drive Quest. I did notice a thump from the rear seat area and the driver side sliding door. I will pay close attention to it on the actual vehicle we will be purchasing. As for the HOT AIR problem, it is quite cold here (MD) so I don't think I will be able to check for this one.

Here are my questions......

1) HOW IS NISSAN'S SERVICE? I am interested in how they handle problems. I have read all 358 posts and it seems as though they are pretty competent. I understand that it takes time to learn a new model year. I want a company to STAND behind their products and hold their dealerships accountable. Mitsu. did not do this!

2) COULD ANYONE WITH NAV. GIVE ME FEEDBACK? We are trying to decide whether or not to kick out the $2K. For those of you who have it, IS IT WORTH IT? Would you buy it again? How accurate is it?

3) ANYONE OUT THERE HAVE XM OR CIRRUS? How do you like it? Did you get it through Nissan or aftermarket? Would you buy it again.

4) Has anyone figured out how to:

a) get two different sources on the two different flip down screens

b)get the rear speakers and the headphones to play at the same time

Thanks for all input. We are leaving for FL 1/23 and will be making the trade by 1/20. I appreciate ALL input!
    rickpct and Toblerone, we have had our SE since September. We've already got 10,100 miles on it (whew!). We have not experienced any door sticking or failure to open or close.

I notice that the people who experienced this seem to be in Canada or elsewhere in extreme cold. We have been down to 19 so far, with no problems, but they have all been in even colder weather.

It also seems to be a one time occurrence or sporadic occurrence. Toblerone I see you are in Maryland, so you may not have any problem with this. rickpct, you live where it really gets cold, so it's anyones guess. Ask you dealer what he's seen.

With regard to the heat issue...never had it. My only issue with the doors were rattles, which were eliminated by spraying WD40 on all the door connection hardware. I posted the full details earlier on this thread.

BTW, Toblerone, I wanted the Navigation system in the worst way, but ultimately did not get it because Nissan also requires that you get the DVD player to get it, making the cost to us $3,500. I did not want to spend the extra $1,500 for the DVD because we carry a notebook computer with a 15" screen to watch movies on. Way better and cheaper than the 7" screen they put in the van.
    Good Luck on your purchases.
This discussion has been closed.