Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler Cirrus

2»

Comments

• mlarson123mlarson123 Member Posts: 1
    We own a Chrysler Cirrus 2000, original owners with 56,000 miles. Last summer the gas light kept coming on and off and the fuel indicator on the dash drops slightly as the light is on then returns back to normal when the gas light is off, as we were driving. We replaced the gas cap and the problem went away till last week. It started turning on and off and the indicator started dropping again so I went and bought another gas cap yesterday and replaced it. I just drove a few miles and the light turned on and off with the indicator dropping at least twice. Any ideas??? We are desperate and leaving for a family trip on Friday.
  • eug65eug65 Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 2000 Cirrus with 122,000 kms (approx 70,000 mi) and am not sure of it's maintenance history because the seller only had this nice looking and operating car for about 10months. Are there concerns with faulty head gaskets on these models...I understand that the earlier models had issues. Also, is there an agreed upon mileage level at which the timing belt should be replaced? I'm searching a good parts site and there seems to be no timing belts available...so should I be looking to get the belt replaced or is it a matter of having a new tensioner? Will my mechanic be able to tell on inspection whether this needs to be done?

Any help would be greatly appreciated and if there are any other known issues with this model, do tell.

Thanx much for any help.
    Eug65
  • leitheiserleitheiser Member Posts: 6
    I bought a 99 about 3 months ago $2300. it had 143k miles. i love mine and the only other problem i seem to come across is the oil ligth when i stop at a red light, it idles low but has never died. i read somewhere that i should not worry about but my husband thinks its a sensor.

oh I fogot, my battery light did come on one about amonth ago, we had a freak snow storm and i drove through alot of slush. i shut the car off at work and started it when i left the light went out and never came back on.

again i just love mine, it has pwr and gets up and scoots and it's the 1st purple car i've owned. (thank god i no longer need a minivan) kids are driving themselfs. LOL
  • atfdmikeatfdmike Member Posts: 414
    You don't mention it, but I assume you have the V6 2.5liter. It is a nice motor, with not a lot of problems like the 2.7 motors have with oil leaks and low oil pressure. With wear, any engine may lose some oil pressure, but I would want to have it checked to be sure it is not too low. The oil pressure switch could be changed to see if it is the switch's fault, but a mechanical gauge would tell the whole story on actual oil pressure. Bumping up to a heavier weight oil could also help, although it may affect MPG a little. one guys opinion.
    yes a V6 2.5 liter. thanks for the advise. I will try it.. your awesome

Liz
  • spencers225spencers225 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2000 Chrysler Cirrus LXI 2.5L 6 cyl. I was driving on the freeway yesterday at about 70 mph in Las Vegas traffic when out of the blue the engine just dies. I (fortunately) was able to pull over to the side of the road. The car made no sound and gave no warning that there was a problem the engine just stopped running. I attempted to restart the car, but when I turn the key the engine will crank it just wont turn over. It has been almost 24 hrs since this happened and the car still wont start. I'm so confused and at a complete loss. If there is anyone out there that might know what would cause this to happen please let me know. I don't even know where to start. I'm on a pretty tight budget right now so if it's something that I can fix myself I want to try that route first. Please help! :confuse:
  • jspagna1jspagna1 Member Posts: 34
    I have the opportunity to buy a 99-00 Cirrus LXI V6 from my neighbor down the street. He bought it from an old lady who was the original owner. He is a car guy and he takes care of his cars, so I am sure it is in good shape. I can probably get it for $2,000-$3,000. But after reading all these posts on these cars I am very leary about buying it. It would be a first driver for my daughter. My question is should I keep looking? Thanks everyone.
    I bought my 99 Cirrus at about 93,000 miles, and it has been a good car.
    You should realize that the engine has a timing belt that must be changed at 100,000 miles. If the belt breaks the engine will be destroyed as it is not designed to be non interference. Other Xler engines are non-interference. If you are mechanically inclined, it will save you some money to do it yourself but it is not a job for amateurs either. I understand it is quite expensive to have it done by the dealer or professional. At the same time the idler and tensioner bearings should be changed, and the water pump. The theory is that it is an expensive/difficult job to do, so replace it all rather than have to go back in to fix a bad pump or bearing. It really does make good sense. Other than that, I find the car quite reasonable. I have also had to replace the fan thermistor that controls the blower fan speeds and the LH front wheel hub bearing. These are pretty common problems for any vehicle and these items were recent at around the 145,000 mile mark. My son drives the car and likes it. HTH One guys opinion.
  • dino7023dino7023 Member Posts: 2
    u need a crank sener on it ok and it shounld start ok
  • tgcleadertgcleader Member Posts: 1
    OMG I have a 1995 chrysler Cirrus and im having the same exact problem describing exactly what you said about it stalling at stop lights and i almost have to ease the gas cause of that and when i get around 25 mile an hour is kind of stals and the car shakewses a littleand i have no idea what the problem is and i wonder is this is a malfunction where we should have to repair it cause its not are fault and it sounds like other people are having the same problem. Please let me know if you figured out what the problem is thanks you.
    First the basics, when was the last time you changed the fuel filter? How about Spark plug wires and plugs? Which engine are you talking about? If the fuel filter, etc; is OK, then I would look at the cam sensor as that sensor is most likely at fault given the problem you describe. Generally, the sensor plays a larger role at 2000+ RPM. You don't say which engine, so I am assuming yours has one. Have you gotten a check engine light,as that would store a code to check too. HTH One guys opinion.
    Hello.. my car stopped stalling out until recently. It started it again. WOW we may need to check the crank sensor. what do you think? Other then that, the car seams to run great.
    no check engine light
    question, you stated you had to replace the fan control that blows the fan speed? Mine stopped working the other day and only works on high. How do you change that and how much roughly is the part?
  • dasboot72dasboot72 Member Posts: 115
    Hi, i have been a Chrysler mechanic for 15 years. You need a blower resistor which is located on the passenger side under the dash or behind the glove box depending on the year. Lust look for a plug with about 6 wires going to it, and it is held down by two 8mm bolts. simple repair.
  • justinsnannyjustinsnanny Member Posts: 1
    according to my son who changed his spark plugs,you do have to remove the valve cover assembly to get to all of the plugs
  • rsimcoxrsimcox Member Posts: 1
    1996 Chrysler Cirrus. Today after driving downhill on a very steep mtn road for 30 minutes when I got to the bottom (with what I'm sure were very hot brakes) suddenly the brake pedal went to the floor with only little friction... good thing no one was around me! For the next few minutes this happened off and on multiple times. If I pumped when I felt it going to far it would then work. After about 5 minutes all was well again. I had to drive 150 more miles to get home but it was mostly freeways or mild hilly highways.

What happened? Did the abs kick in when it wasn't supposed to? What is the likely problem? Thanks much. Randy.
  • sikmechanic520sikmechanic520 Member Posts: 1
    My car was recently a victim of complete stupidity and by that I mean someone failed horribly at stealing my car and they destroyed my ignition lock key cylinder I replaced it and car still refuses to start when I turn the key, accessories do not come on nothing..... its not the battery its something between the ignition cylinder and ignition switch...... anyone have any ideas? :cry:
  • chelledu251979chelledu251979 Member Posts: 1
    I've just had the crank sensor and distributor replaced and my car is still doing what yours is doing (the car idles, it dies while slowing down and the oil pressure light will come on but go off after I pull over and restart the car). I took it back to Meineke yesterday and they said vacuum hoses were loose and that they fixed it. Car still did the same thing today. I'm taking it back to Meineke tomorrow. I wonder what they'll tell me this time.
  • satarianosatariano Member Posts: 1
    keeps throwing a code says cam position sensor, replaced distributor three times, same problems help any one have any ideas
    What is the code number...likely you are getting a generic code and you need the actual powertrain code for the 2.5. Obviously it isn't the distributor, but without the code, diagnostics is tough!
  • sophiesmesssophiesmess Member Posts: 1
    New to this forum but have same problem with low oil pressure light, stalling, etc. How can you pull a code if the check engine light is not on? Did have check engine with generic exhaust code. Had it checked further and replaced cat converter. No light since and passed emissions inspection. STILL has other problem though. O2 Sensor doesn't seem to be problem since check engine is off now. Does anyone have the problem only when during or after wet weather? Thinking crank sensor but that is a lot of work on the cirrus. Want to be more sure before taking that route. Any other ideas... Thanks!
    edited April 2011
    You can still pull any codes that are in memory using a code reader. CEL does not have to be lit to do that.
    My experience with crank sensors is that the engine runs or it won't restart when hot. Not heard of missing as a symptom, not to say that is not possible, I just don't know. This engine is known to develop low oil pressure, best and cheapest fix is to replace the oil light pressure sensor (to be safe) and change the oil to a slightly heavier weight . Not much else you can do. Oil light symptom is more apparent in hot climates or hot running conditions.
    HTH One guys opinion.
  • sgeorge1981sgeorge1981 Member Posts: 3
    How long have you had this car for you to replace the distributor twice and what transmission problems have you had? Have you gotten the transmission flushed and filter changed when recommended?
    what transmission problems did you have. And what was up with the water pump. I have a 1995 Cirrus that I bought like 2 months ago. It needed a distributor and had a vaccum leak and sunday the a/c compressor went out on it but other than that it runs find. Did you get a transmission flush and filter change when suppose to?
    I just bought a 1995 Chrysler Cirrus from this white woman and it wasn't running because it needed a distributor. The owner pryor to that was an old woman who drove it very little and was the first owner. The car had around 86,000 miles when the second owner got it and when I bought it from them it had over 111,000 miles but they had all the maintenance recipts. Besides the distributor and the vacum leak which I got fixed and this past sunday the a/c compressor went out I haven't had any problems. What is up with the transmission problems for this year cause I havent had any yet but does anybody know why it has transmission problems? Im getting my transmission flushed and a new filter next week. What Im basically asking is do you'll think I have a pretty good vehicle. Its super clean inside and out along with everything under the hood looking good. I just dont want this transmission going out on me. Any suggestions to make sure I limit the possiblity of transmission problems?
  • sandra63sandra63 Member Posts: 1
    hello all, i am new here so please bear with me. I took my car to the chrsyler dealership to have the power steering pressure hose put on under a recall, after 13 years. my car is a 2000 chr. cirrus. anyway it has not worked the same since. there is motor oil leaking onto the spark plug covers which i chalk up to they took the little box off the top of the motor to get into the back of the motor to replace the hose. either they cracked something or have the gasket wrinkled under the part. also when it heats up there is a terrible squealling going on, so i dont know if that would be too much pressure on the steering pump or if it is the belt and pully, but it only does it when it heats up. please help. i am taking it back to the dealer for the oil leak and i know they are going to say well the car is old. could the new hose be too much pressure for the old steering pump and try to take me for a whack of money. neither one of these problems has ever ever happened before. thanks all for the help