Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Subaru Forester Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• gooseberrygooseberry Member Posts: 1
    Hi Mikecolo -
    I have been doing some back and forth with the internet sales person at Flatirons Subaru and am not overly impressed so far... I specified that I needed numbers for the X with Premium package and got numbers for the base X, and when I questioned that, she gave me a lower price, which is obviously incorrect. Did you first negotiate via email or go straight into the showroom?
  • raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    Try contacting more than one dealer, and consider making a phone call to clarify your needs.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Sweet, I'm jealous. That's a heck of a first auto...I want exactly that vehicle, except maybe the color, as my next one.

-juice
  • mikemcolomikemcolo Member Posts: 2
    RE: Flatirons Imports in Boulder, i just asked them for the price via email and I thought it was ok so i didn't even try to negotiate.

After not having a good time at a local showroom, and talking to a couple other dealers online, I decided to go with Flatiron because the price seemed 'in the ballpark', they responded fast, they seemed really easy to deal with, and they had the color i wanted in stock.

I didn't really want to waste time haggling over a few hundred bucks. I was mostly concerned about getting the car i wanted, in the color i wanted, at a price i could be happy with, and getting it done quickly and painlessly.

I have no complaints, and I love the new car. But as with anything, I guess your mileage may vary. Best of luck!
  • retempleretemple Member Posts: 2
    I think I've decided on an 06 Forester X Premium which receives a $1k rebate through the end of the month. Should I hold out to June or July to see if I can get a greater rebate (when 07s come out??)?? Has the X Premium (or previous XS) ever received greater than a $1k rebate?
  • russkahnrusskahn Member Posts: 4
    That's a darn good question, retemple. I thought the same thing. Basically, there is no way to know what the rebate will be in June or July. But here's the thing: The 07s are coming out soon. Wouldn't it make sense for them to try to unload the 06s? Maybe add an incentive?

The dealer I spoke to said it could go up, stay the same, or even go down. Frankly, I don't imagine how a rebate would go down on a model that's about to be "old." If you can wait, I think it's probably a good gamble. We couldn't, unfortunately.
  • retempleretemple Member Posts: 2
    I think we'll hold out to June. We're not in a huge hurry and I would not be too happy if I bought one this week to find out I could have saved $1k if I had waited a few days. I don't know if we'd wait until July though.

I'm kinda surprised that they aren't offering GREATER incentives for the more expensive trim options. It seems that all I see on the road are base X's.. My local dealership had 3 LL Bean models on the lot (out of about 7 or 8 Foresters).
  • ozman62ozman62 Member Posts: 229
    You going 'automatic' on us, Juice? ;)
    Owen
    Wife and I have been discussing, right now we have THREE clutches and zero autos. We've pretty much acknowledged that one of the cars, the one used for family duty most likely, should be a slushbox. :(

We do road trips a lot, from DC to CT and also to the shore, and in B2B traffic the knees start creaking. I'll take a DSG if it's offered in the vehicle I want! :shades:

-juice
  • jeffmcjeffmc Member Posts: 1,742
    astralgoa (Chris in Vancouver) - 2007 Forester info now posted from Joe at cars101.com:
    "Prices on all models are are slightly lower! Due to California emission requirements there are now 2 non-turbo 4 cylinder models (like Legacy, Outback), one for 45 states, the other for California and other Northeastern states that adopted Ca standards. There are new colors and combinations, new front door panel trim with large cup/bottle holder, the X model gets the EBD (electronic brake force distribution) upgrade that has been on the other models. XT turbo gets 17" alloys, upgraded stereo; LL Bean gets gray colored alloy wheels... more to come"
    http://www.cars101.com/subaru/forester/forester2007.html#history
    A few more details at the link. Forester X does get the EBD for '07, but the rear brakes are still drum, apparently.

There's also good info on his site about importing Subarus from the US into Canada - could save you some bucks since Subaru's pricing seems to be fairly high in Canada. Here's the link for that:
    http://www.cars101.com/canada.html
    Hmm... that bit above about importing Subarus from the US into Canada wouldn't apply to Forester or Outback Sport. Only vehicles assembled in the US can go through that process, and those two vehicles are assembled in Japan. Never mind. :(
  • bigalbertbigalbert Member Posts: 2
    Actually, the process does also apply to vehicles built in Japan (like the Forester) - the only difference is that there's an additional duty (about 6.5%) on vehicles not built in North America. At the prices Subaru Canada is charging, and with the currently close US/CDN exchange rate, importing from the US to Canada still may make sense even with the duty.
    Ah... thanks for the correction on that, bigalbert! I don't understand why Subaru is charging so much in Canada in the first place. :confuse:
    That's nice but where's VDC? Sportshift? 5th ratio on the auto? Rear discs on the X?

They could have done more IMO.

-juice
  • jchagtdijchagtdi Member Posts: 55
    I just purchased a 2006 Forester 2.5X 5peed manual. No extras, price before tax was $18,099 with $2000 rebate. The '06 has a much richer look inside and out than earlier Foresters, and the '06 felt more refined and was quieter than my aunt's '99 Forester that I drove recently.

I purchased at Becker Subaru in Allentown, PA. They were great to deal with, and made they process very easy. I was surprised to have a choice of 4 exterior colors. They still have rows and rows (and rows) of more Foresters. They also seemed to have a staggering volume of Outbacks.

They regularly advertise prices in the local newspaper that are below invoice, and they sell A LOT of cars. I paid below invoice for the Significant Other's '06 Legacy 2.5SE in January...both deals were made without haggling.

We're a bit infested with Subaru dealers in the PA NJ NY tri-state area, and I have 13 dealers within 50 miles of my home. Despite this competition, Becker is the #3 Subaru dealer in the US for volume. They systematically deliver a good sales process/experience with prices that are hard to argue with, and a great selection of vehicles.
    Sounds like a good experience all around! Congrats on the new ride(s). Yes, Subaru's interiors have come a very long way.
  • mb789mb789 Member Posts: 89
    Has anyone experienced a similar problem with Chase Bank:

I purchased a Forester on April 27th. The contract I signed at the dealership said my payments would begin on May 27th, and would be due on the 27th of each month, but when my account was set up at Chase, they said my payment was due on June 1st.

And, Chase told me all the information they received regarding my purchase indicated I purchased the car on May 1st -- and I told them this wasn't true that I bought it on April 27th and signed the papers then. They are suggesting I fax my contract to them so they can investigate for discrepancies. My monthly payment amount is the same that the dealer stated, so I don't know what could be going on or where the fault should be -- with the dealer or with Chase. I don't know if anyone is really on my side.

Chase told me that if the dealer changed the paperwork without my knowledge, there is a possibility I could take action to void the purchase contract and get my money back. Suggestions??
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,196
    Why does it matter? If all the terms are the same, the result is you have three days on your loan, interest-free...

I wouldn't take the bank's advice on voiding your purchase. Not sure what you could do, unless you can prove some sort of monetary damages.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

My mortgage company lets me make payments on the 12th instead of the 1st, same thing - interest fee. I set up an auto-pay and took advantage of it. I'm earning interest for 12 days on that amount every single month. Why not?

-juice
    Congrats, $18,099 is $1200 less than I paid for my '98, which had a lot less equipment! Nice deal...

-juice
  • p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
    So let me get this straight... you're unhappy about getting an extra 5 days before making your first payment? :) In any case since Chase is the lender, what they say is the only thing that matters.

-Frank
  • awd4lifeawd4life Member Posts: 5
    Greetings all,
    I'm currently looking for a Subaru 2.5x model and just got a quote from a local Subaru dealership down here in Long Beach, California and this is what I received via email;

"Hi,

The lowest I can do is $19319.00 plus tax and license. This price is $700.00 below factory invoice price. This is for an Aspen White 2.5x Automatic with rear bumper cover, cargo tray, splash guards and tailpipe cover. "

I live in California and the tax would be .08 pct. I was wondering if any of you here from California can help me out in finding a good price for this car. I wanted to get the internet sales manager from Subaru to get it down to 19,000 INCLUDING tax and license..

'ya think this is possible?
    You'd have to be somewhere around $17,500 to get $19k w/tax & license. Invoice on that vehicle, including dest., is nearly $22k. Minus $2000 rebate (if it's the same in CA as in my neck of the woods) puts you around $20k. I think you'd have a hard time finding a dealer able to go $2500 below invoice after the rebate! I can't imagine the holdback is anywhere near that amount. I think it sounds like they made you a pretty good offer. You may be able to squeeze a few hundred bucks out of someone at the end of the month, but nearly $2000 less?... not likely in my opinion. Get rid of all the options and go with a manual transmission and you'd still probably come up $1k beyond your goal.

Maybe you could find a deal on an '06 Forester used as a program car, a loaner, or something, but for the little savings you'd find, a new '06 would probably be worth the difference.
  • raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    That's a really good deal they offered...more than fair enough. Don't be greedy.
    Thanks for the help! I actually ended up purchasing a Subaru Crystal Grey Metallic 2.5 x automatic instead with the port installed accessories I mentioned at another dealership down in Orange County, California. It seems as though the saleperson (won't mention her name) at the Timmons/Long Beach dealership was being VERY dishonest with me as she mysteriously "went on vacation" when I came down to try and close the deal for the 19,330 offer.

I ended up getting my Subaru 2.5x automatic for 21,750 out the door including tax&license and all the "hidden" fees. Not sure if I could've done better than with more haggling but it seems well worth it!

--Tony
    Congrats, Tony! When it comes to car buying, there's nothing better than getting a great deal on a great car from an honest dealership. Sounds like you did that. Nice choice on the crystal gray, too - it looks sharp with the gray interior, and hides the dirt very well.

Give the dealership that earned your business some good publicity! :) You mentioned the guys you didn't like, but where did you end up buying the Forester?
    Thanks Jeffmc. I ended up buying my Forester at South Coast Subaru/Acura in Costa Mesa, California. They were real honest with my only gripe being with their finance department.

For having excellent credit, the lowest apr the dealership was willing to offer was near 6.7 percent for 70 months + an optional 1000 dollars up front for an extended 100,000 mile warranty.

I tried my best to lower it down to 5 percent but couldn't. I then opted to go with my own Credit Union. It was then that we found out that the Subaru dealership had some kind of incentive plan with my Credit Union in that I could set up a plan for 60 months at an apr of 4.9 percent plus + an optional 300 dollars up front for an extended 100,000 warranty. Of course, I opted with the latter! Having excellent credit definitely pays off in the end!

Crystal Grey Metallic is an awesome color as it clearly stands out in the sun. Takes a whole new color of its own in lighted areas/direct sun light. I was VERY close in choosing the Royal Navy though (I think that's what it is called). For some reason, that color gave the Forester a totally different look. But I ended up with the Crystal Grey Metallic because I do a lot of mountainbiking so like you said, the color would definitely hide all that extra dirt!

--Tony
  • tracks66tracks66 Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a new 2006 Forester 2.5x 5 speed at Lancaster County Motors in Lancaster Penna.
    Base price was $21795
    auto dimming mirror and compass $183.00
    Equipment group 1H $298.00
    delivery $625.00

This gave me a total sticker price of $22,892.00

They deducted Subarus $2000 and the deducted another $2570 from the price. So my price was $18,322.00 plus tax,tag etc. I thought this was a good price so I bought my first Subaru.

Is this a good price for the car and could someone tell me how a dealer can give a discount of $2570 on a car and make any money? This dealer had row after row of 2.5X`s in stock and the window stickers were from all different dealers. The one I bought was from a dealer in Hanover Penna. Apparently he is buying up stock from other dealers in the area but how is he making any money with the discounts he is giving to customers.
    I hope he is making money some where so he stays in business because I will probably need parts and service somewhere in the life of this car.

I bought my wife a new Acura RL from Jones motors in Lancaster Pa. where I got a good deal but not as good as the Subaru percentage wise. Both were good experiences, no pressure or hassle.
    how a dealer can give a discount of $2570 on a car

You robbed them. Did you have a weapon? ;)

Sweet price, wow. Did they give you a 22% interest rate or something?

Dealers make money on used cars, but not new ones. They also make money on service. Those areas are far more profitable.

Occasionally, a hot new model comes along and they get nice margins on those. But it's a buyer's market for cars, so we see more break-even deals than we do profitable ones (for them).

-juice
  • tracks66tracks66 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for your reply. I thought it was a deal that I should not pass up and you confirmed that I was right.
    I paid cash for the Subaru and Acura and there was no trade.
  • kavoomkavoom Member Posts: 181
    This identical thing happened to my girlfriend and they said almost identically the same words just a couple of months ago.

What advantage is there to the dealer to do this? I think it is Chase... She is not happy with Chase at all. I personally have had no problem.
  • kavoomkavoom Member Posts: 181
    Wow, you did rob them.

I got a new base 2.5X 2004 for 18,000 K without the goodies and thought I got a good deal 18 months ago.
    Invoice on the vehicle is $21,077 (incl. destination), plus about $120 invoice for the mirror, and I'm not sure what Equipment group 1H is, but a similarly priced equipment pkg invoices for about $190, so figure $21,400 as the rough invoice cost. Minus the $2000 rebate puts it at $19,400, so the dealer dropped about $1100 additional dollars off, most or all of which would've come from a factory-to-dealer incentive. The incentive is better for the dealers than a higher rebate from Subaru, because the dealer still has the potential to capture some or all of that money based on the sale price they offer. The dealer isn't making much profit, but they won't be going hungry: they still make a few hundred dollars on a holdback from Subaru, and maybe they receive an extra incentive if they reach a certain volume of sales.

Subaru of America is under pressure to increase its sales volume, and is making room for soon-to-be incoming 2007s. It's a good time to buy a Subaru. You got a great deal. :)
  • fxterfxter Member Posts: 17
    I got a price quote(verbal) of $22,666 for 06-X-Premium-Manual not including the $1000 subaru rebate.

So the pricing would look like this:

$22,666 + tax - $1000(subaru rebate) + $625.

Does this price sound reasonable?

Thanks in Advance,
    Invoice is $22,569 (without $625 destination). Are there any extras added, like all-weather mats, auto-dimming mirror, etc, that would add to the invoice price? If so, it sounds like a good deal. If you want to call around or haggle, you may be able to shave off another $1000-$1200 or so, which I believe is a factory-to-dealer incentive, but the price they offered is certainly fair. I think shooting for invoice (before the rebates are applied) is a good target, and anything beyond that is a bonus.

X Premium's a very nicely equipped vehicle, and the manual should be even more fun to drive. :) What color are ya goin' for?
    It includes all-weather-mats, bumper-cover(not sure whether it is one of those Popular eqpt group 1?). There is no auto-dimming mirror included.

Man, if I can shave off another $1000, that would make my day.

Looking to get a Aspen-White or RED :D ...
    So it sounds like they're offering straight invoice pricing before the rebate. Try contacting other local dealerships through the internet and tell them what you've been offered. Find your best offer and give your favorite dealership the chance to match it.
    Some dealers are more willing to bend at the end of the month, but with the '07 Foresters now arriving, I think they'll want to move their inventory NOW.

If you happen to be in the Northwest, I like Carter Subaru in Seattle. Very no-nonsense through the internet. Folks here in the forums also say very good things about Fitzmall in Maryland (they also show locations in PA and FL). Check them out online, too.
    Jeff, thanks for the help. I am in the bay-area, CA.
    I would look up Carter-Subaru, Seattle too.

I don't mind picking up a new vehicle from seattle and camping/hiking in Olympic national park! Oh I wish.

Dude, I need a vacation...

Thanks again.
    What a sweet break-in drive that would be: Hwy 101 down the west coast, WA to CA.
    Finally, after 2 and a half months of research, I bit the bullet and went car-shopping last weekend.

Earlier, I talked with 5 different dealers over the internet via edmunds.com and subaru.com.. several email exchanges with these dealers....

After visiting two dealers and extended phone conversations, and about 130miles drive(with my wife) bought my first subaru :). I drove the subaru back, and wife in her corolla.

The deal:
    $21K + Sales Tax + DMV fees etc. = $23,108.

Thanks to everyone in the forum, especially Juice, Jeffmc.
    All you guys are awesome, learned so much about foresters from this forum.

This is my first MT car as well .. err... well.. let me save that for another post.

Oh, I forgot to mention that the car also has package 1C, tail-pipe etc.

I think it is an awesome deal. what do you guys think?

Thanks everyone again...
    Not sure what's included in 1C, or the cost of it, but it sounds like you probably came out $2300-$2400 below invoice. Nice work! :shades:

How was your dealer experience?

As an AT driver who's driven a manual tranny about a dozen times, I'm eager to hear how it's working out for you. I did enjoy shifting manually, but find AT more practical for me.
    Thanks Jeff.

1C consists of (Aspen White)splash guards, cargo tray, and rear bumper cover.

I love the internet.
    I requested quotes via Edmunds.com. I did most of the negotiations by email.

When I visited the dealer, I spent about an hour at dealer#1. He wouldn't reduce even a couple of hundred bucks. He says .. "take it or leave it". Then, I called the dealer#2 to find out if he could give me a better deal. I gave my word that, if he is willing to sell the car at my asking price, I will buy the car on the very sameday.

He agreed and I bought my forester.

I love the car. I still have to get used to the manual tranny. Couple of times I shifted from 2nd to 1st(instead of 3rd) and over-revved the engine :( . I hope that didn't damage anything inside the car.

While driving in streets with lots of stop-lights and traffic, it is a pain to drive a car with Manual-tranny.
    I think(and hope), this pain will disappear once I master the art of shifting...

I still stall the car every now and then.. ;) otherwise, it is indeed fun to drive the car with MT. No Lag whatsoever.
  • leo2633leo2633 Member Posts: 589
    Congrats, and good luck with your new Forester. Before you know it, the shifting will become second nature. Then, driving an automatic will be a pain, because you'll be going to step on the non-existant clutch! Take this from someone who has been driving stick shifts for 35 years.

Also, the white is nice...believe it or not, it doesn't show dirt as much as darker colors and it stays cool in the summer. Only problem is when waxing it; it's hard to see the white wax on the white paint!

Len
    2001 white Forester S 5 speed with 140K miles
  • dirtbagdirtbag Member Posts: 57
    quote: "I still stall the car every now and then.. "

If this is happening frequently, the hill-holder may need adjusting. Mine was too tight and it took me a while to realize that's why I was stalling the car; like trying to start out with the parking brake engaged. It was a one-hour free repair at the dealer.
    Thank you Len.

I enjoy shifting the gears... getting better at it everyday.
    Every now and then, I over-rev the engine.

My previous car was black in color(accord). I feel the difference already. My white-car does feel cooler.
    thanks for the suggestion dirtbag. It doesn't happen too frequently. May be it is just me.

Anyway, I am going to try out the hill-holder function this weekend to sense whether it is the culprit. If it indeed is the reason, I will take it to the dealer for the adjustement you mentioned. thanks.
    thanks for the suggestion dirtbag.

Hey, is that any way to talk to someone who offered you help? :P

Nice nickname, by the way, dirtbag.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    Made me hit the "delete" button for a brief second when I thought he was violating our policy on member conduct - no namecalling :)

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

hee hee. :) The daily trials of the ever-vigilant host.
    Oops! my bad... didn't occur to me at all.