Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Subaru Forester Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• jefbakjefbak Member Posts: 19
    The lower rebate was a bummer. I don't know if it was because I purchased ours on December 31st or not, but I got the premium package for $21500.
    I really wanted the power heated seats.
  • jeffmcjeffmc Member Posts: 1,742
    I think that 19,500 is a good price, and over $20k is too much. Be proactive and just e-mail the low bidder to see what their additional fees are. If you're comfortable trying it, tell 'em you'll come in & buy that day if they drop the fee, or see if they'll offer a couple free oil changes to make up for the cost of the fee, whatever's reasonable.
  • erics6erics6 Member Posts: 684
    Guess I'm lucky to be on the West Coast. Very competitive market. Weekend ad prices for X auto's with some options $18.5k. Can't decide... go new or used. Don't like the 06+ front but the used market is crazy. A couple year old used ones with asking prices above new ones. Selling prices just a bit less.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    It was the same thing last year, except the rebate was 2k on the base X and just 1k on the Premium and higher models.

-juice
    At these prices, go new - you'll get a better vehicle, fewer maintenance expenses, better price when you go to re-sell or trade, often a better finance rate, and that "new car smell". :) When the next Forester bodystyle comes out, you can see if you like the looks better and then upgrade without too big of a depreciation hit.

We ran into that same dilemma purchasing our last 3 Subies. Started looking, expecting to purchase lightly used 1-year-old vehicles, and ended up buying new one 2 of the 3 times because it was actually cheaper to go new. The one time we did go with a used vehicle instead, it was because they no longer offered the trim we wanted (Outback 3.0R).

I'm just north of you in the Seattle area - pretty competitive pricing here, too. You've got Carr, we've got Carter, Nos. 1 & 4 in national sales. $18.5 is very good for auto X w/options. I wonder if the factory-to-dealer incentives have increased... I know Forester sales were down slightly.
    Amazing thing is, it's not Carr that has the deals right now. Carr has one on ad, but with fewer options. I really like the 03-05 X look. Not fond of the 06+ exterior redesign. Looked at the X Sport at the Autoshow, and while I like the new front there are no driving lights.
    Get an '07 X, change out the grille with the nice X Sports mesh grille. I bet it'd be pretty easy to do or have done.
    Bought a low mileage 05 X today... OTD for $16k. One owner trade on a new Saab (poor guy). Fair price. Looked at the 07's and just couldn't stomach the front end. I much prefer the black bumpers too.
    Hey, maybe it was traded in for a 9-2X (the "Saabaru"). That would be one Saab I'd own.
  • dfpinedfpine Member Posts: 9
    I'm thinking of getting extended warranty on the 07 Forester 2.5 X I'm picking up this week. Does anyone know how much a dealer would charge for Subaru's Gold Plus 7-year/100K-mile plan would cost? I read that they have $0, $50 and $100 deductible variations... Would someone know the price points for them?

I have AAA right now so if I get the Gold Plus plan I can get rid of it at an annual savings of almost $80. GEICO also has some basic roadside assistance plan for about $10 more per year.
    No... sales guy I dealt with was the same guy who took the Subaru in on trade. Bought a 9-5. At least it wasn't the 9-3. Last Saab I owned was a 85 900 turbo. Now that was a good car. Not the GM junk sold now.
    I saw the same opportunity.

We were paying $75 for AAA, in your case $80 over a 7 year period is $560.

The warranty should cost about $1400 or so, so really the incremental cost for you is much less.

Don't worry too much about a deductible, because even if you bring it in for 3 different issues, you only pay the deductible once, for each visit.

-juice

PS My wife used the roadside assistance once (flat tire IIRC) and it was very effective.
    Wonder if anyone has feedback on the factory security / alarm system on the 2.5 X on the 07 model. I see on the options list Subaru sells a shock sensor as an add-on for $79. Is that recommended? Does that make it more comparable to a typical after-market alarm? Would a dealer charge more than list price to install it? Thanks.
    I'm gonna shop around for a 6-year/60K Gold Plus plan with $0 deductible. We don't plan on doing too much driving so this seems like a good deal compared with the 7-year/100K plan. The difference between $0 and $100 deductible also isn't that great to go with the lower-priced one.

So far the best quote I got was $750 for the former.
    AAA alone would cost you $480. Go for it. Gold Plus includes roadside assistance.

-juice
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,761
    That isn't exactly apples to apples.. AAA covers me no matter what car I'm driving..

Does the Subaru plan do that?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

I believe AAA covers the card holder no matter what car they are in, even if you're in a friend's car. Correct me if I'm wrong.

AAA has higher rates for family plans, though the $80 might be covering your whole family, I'm not sure.

The company Subaru uses for roadside assistance cover the car itself, no matter who is driving. So it's backwards. :D
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,761
    I think $80 covers both drivers in our family.. (My wife already had it, and added me).

Yeah... if you can give up AAA, it is a savings, but it is sort of two different things.. The extra benefits of the Subaru warranty definitely have a monetary benefit.. It just might be difficult to quantify exactly.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• kavoomkavoom Member Posts: 181
    My dealer offered the plans at roughly half off the "retail" price. It was 350 for the Gold Plus 5 60K. I put lots of miles on mine...

He showed me the Subaru sheet and what the "dealer" pays for it... They want to keep you as a customer in their shop...

And do a search online. When I was looking, I found dealers who offered online specials. Not as good as my dealers, but maybe a hundred bucks less than yours. Your 750 is 100 bucks below "retail" I believe.

And it doesn't matter where or which Subaru Dealer you buy it off of.
  • swebb1swebb1 Member Posts: 5
    (I hope this isn't a double post, the forum is acting strange)
    I've been shopping for a Forester for a few weeks now. I had been thinking about a '03/'04 used Forester, but I am also considering a few new car options. One in particular:

2006 Forester w/ premium package and manual transmission. I haven't been very ipressed with the automatic transission on the Forester, so the manual is fine by me. The car was used as a service loaner by the dealership, and has about 5,000 miles on it. I wouldn't normally like the idea of a service loaner because it's more or less a rental car -- "drive it like you stole it". But, with only 5,000 miles I can live with that fact.

The dealer has made an offer at around $21,000. At first glance it seemed like a reasonable price:

$22,569 dealer invoice
    $625 destination charge
    -$1000 customer cash incentive
    = $22,194

But then I consider that it has 5000 miles on it -- that has to be worth something, I figure $1,000 (reasonable?). And you figure that it's not really a current model at all, the 2008 models are that far off, so that has to be worth something. On top of that I read about someone else buying essentially the same car, several months back (page 66 or 67, I think), with no miles on it for $21,000. SO, not sounding like a good price any more. What should I shoot for?

-Steve
    Too much in my book. When I was looking last week, one of the local dealers had a Forester X automatic rental return with 11k. They were asking $17k. Service loaner is the same as rental return in my book. Maintained but driven hard. I'd pass on it.
    I agree it's a bit too expensive... that would be an excellent deal on a brand new, no-mileage model. $20k would sound acceptable to me. Find out when its in-service date is to be sure of how many years of warranty coverage remain, so you'd be covered if any problems surfaced from its 5k miles of loaner use. If there were multiple problems over the remainder of the warranty period, you could always re-sell without taking too much of a hit. Or make them some type of offer... pay $21k if they include 6yr/100k gold warranty.

Oh, if you do go for this one, be sure they re-set the ECU so the transmission will "learn" your driving style.
  • kavoomkavoom Member Posts: 181
    Run Away Run Away!

I got mine new same set up with a 22,900 dealer invoice and with all the rebates (including dealer loyalty) I would have gotten mine for 21,974 without the 5K miles. I ended up giving back one of the rebates (500) for the lower rate, so my final was 22,474.

You would be better to go new. But that is a problem with Suby's is that they hold value so much that they very often lead you back to new. Oh, and take a look at the XT's...

Check here on Edmunds, go to Kelly, etc. Run the numbers, they will tell you... TMC...
  • jefbakjefbak Member Posts: 19
    You can get a 2007 for that. I got an automatic PP with 0 zero miles for $21,500 on Dec 31.
    You should get a used car deal for that loaner (18,500 tops).
    They expect to loose money on it... It is a write off for the dealer.
  • bzribeebzribee Member Posts: 27
    As far as I can tell there is only one dealership in San Diego (Convoy area) and they don't inspire me much. Does anyone have a suggestion for another dealership? Also, the Convoy one is close to where I live, but I hear they can treat you badly if you don't buy from them. Is ther any truth?

I expect to buy in the next month, though now I'm wondering if I should hold out for the June release of 2008's. After reading all these wonderful and informative posts, I've decided to stop looking for a used vehicle unless some miracle show up in my face.

Thanks for thoughts and all the previous posts throughout these forums.
    This is at a dealers--Kelly puts excellent condition (which includes maintainence records) at 17,795 and good condition at 16,520. Carfax says there are 4 reports, seems to say 4 reports for every car, so maybe that's the normal buy, return, auction, sell??? Anyone know?
    I have the car overnight and know they will pressure me to buy. I haven't bought the Carfax report yet--want to decide if I really want this or not. 2008's are coming out soon.
    According to dealer the car was registered at a marine base. That's all I was told when she looked at carfax. hmmm.
    I'd appreciate any comments.
    Assume you're talking a X automatic. I looked at a 06 rental return with 11k that was in nice condition. Dealer was asking $17k on a weekend ad. I'd shoot for closer to $17k. Around the Portland area you can pick up brand new 07 automatic for $18.5k.
  • vagabondvagabond Member Posts: 2
    I just bought my first Subaru Forester 2.5X and I’m very pleased with my purchased. It was the base model, and the only extra option it had on it was the popular equipment group 1 (rear bumper guard, cargo tray, and splash guards) I didn’t need this option, as the car had everything else I wanted on it, it was the only one they had in stock, in the color I wanted, and I didn’t want to wait for one without this minor option, which they threw in, if I was willing to purchase the car right then. I went through an online quote

Invoice $20,922.00
    Doc fee 58.48
    State Lic. 15.00
    Title 65.00
    County Tax 157.35
    State tax 1483.63
    Total 22,701.46
    Rebate -2000.00
    Paid 20,701.46
    THis is a manual, with privacy glass (only option, I think). I want to try for $16, 400 out door, including full tank of gas. Am I crazy?

Do Portland cars pass CA emissions? Maybe I should come up there? Any dealer suggestions?

Thank you for responding.
    Privacy glass in this case would be aftermarket tint film. Make sure it's well applied, and not peeling at the corners. Tint still isn't available on Foresters, even today.

-juice
  • vagabondvagabond Member Posts: 2
    forgot to mention this price was for an automatic.
  • lou16lou16 Member Posts: 2
    Is $24,555 (including destination) a fair/good/bad price for a new LL Bean Forester? That does not include the $225 processing, & tags & taxes. That is about $1,000 below invoice.

thanks in advance
    I see 24317 at fitzmall.com, and their processing fee is $99.

However, depends on the region. If you're in Alaska, that price is phenomenal. Depends on local supply/demand.

-juice
  • lou16lou16 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks! That was helpful. I am in the NoVa area - sounds like fitzmall would be a good benchmark price then since they are local to me.

thanks again for the input.
    Cool. Ask for Maurice if you go. Tell him AJ sent ya.

I actually have to go see him, tell him I'm looking for a CPO Tribeca and to keep an eye out for one for me. Also to get my trade appraised. It's a bit early for me, I want to see the 08s.

-juice
    I think your target price is going to be tough to get. Worth shooting for but I think $17k is more realistic. See how low they'll go. I assume OTD doesn't include sales tax. NW pricing is competitive. Don't remember if the 06 Subies are 50 state emmisions legal though. Carr Subaru in Beaverton has good weekend ad prices. List prices (including internet prices) are nutty. Carr is the #1 Subaru dealer in the nation. That being said, I've found better used deals at other dealers.

Honestly, I'd consider a brand new 07. Manuals are listed at $18k all the time around here.
    That's very nice. In NYC area the rebate is only $1,500 for 2.5X models.
  • hhmahhma Member Posts: 6
    I think the 2.5X rebate is $1,500 universally?

But that is an excellent price, nevertheless.
    One of the local dealers has 5 07 auto X's at $17,477. List is $22,620.
  • zy1zy1 Member Posts: 31
    This price is unbelievable, $5143 off the MSRP $22,620! If there are $1,500 rebate and $1,500 dealer cash, the cost for the dealer is about $17,688. Dealer loss $211 for each car they sell? Maybe the dealer gets more rebates from manufacturer.
    Where is this dealer? I want to get one! :D
    Carr Subaru in Beaverton. #1 Subaru dealer in the nation. They have good ad deals. Make up the loss in volume and used car sales. For good deals in the NW you just watch the weekend ad prices.
    Unfortunately, it is too far for me. I am in Denver area. We do not have any customer cash right now.
    The local dealer's ad is $18,998 for X MT.
    And no sales tax down there, you lucky ducks (beavers?). The dealer closest to my home advertises, but their prices aren't the best.

Hey, how can they make up losses with volume?! The more they sell, the more they lose!! Just kiddin'. :P (Wasn't that GM's strategy?)
  • occkingoccking Member Posts: 346
    A little help here... I have a 06 Tribeca, very pleased with it, now need to replace 10 year old van for my wife. Thinking about Forester, just want auto, no leather with roof. Is there such an animal out there, don't want leather. What could I expect on prices -- live up here in Southeastern, MA>
    There is such an animal - the "X Premium" Forester. You can scroll through to see the progression of equipment included on each of the Forester trim levels here, so it's easy to see what you're getting for the price differences:
    http://www.cars101.com/subaru/forester/forester2007.html#X%20std%20features

I'd anticipate a price of about $22k... any else here have better pricing info for an '07 X Premium automatic? You can always check the Fitzmall website to get a good idea of what kind of low pricing is out there right now... can be a good bargaining tool.
  • smackysmacky Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I'm looking to BUY not lease a '07 Forester with Prem Pkg at the following:

MSRP: $25458
    Dealer Price: $24174

Was able to get the dealer to come down to 23,500.
    Dealer had 500 rebate OR take the subaru financing option (e.g. 4.9% for 60 months). I would take the financing.

Is this a good price?? I'm female and can't help but feel like I'm being taken advantage of! Thanks!
    Firstly, you're definitely not being taken advantage of. You're doing great negotiating! :D

Based on the MSRP, it sounds like it's an automatic transmission with about $1000 in options. Is this right? If so, I think they're offering you a fine price. (for reference, invoice on an automatic Premium with no options is $23,600, including destination.) They're offering probably about $700 below invoice without any rebate. That's very good. Absolute best-case scenario, you could get perhaps another $400-500 off, but I don't know if that's even possible. Not sure what current factory-to-dealer incentives are. The price they're offering gives them a minimal profit.

What options are on the vehicle?

You can see invoice prices for most options (packages and individual) here: http://www.cars101.com/subaru/forester/forester2007.html#option%20packages
    You can check the price at fitzmall.com. For example:
    2007 Forester 2.5 PREM PKG 4EAT,
    Delivered Internet Price: $22,585
    Factory Invoice: $23,623
    MSRP: $25,120
    http://www.fitzmall.com/carfind/resultsb.asp?Search=NEW&ID=S726887&photo=SU077FD- - - &loc=LFO&mall=GA&year=2007&mk_code=SU
    Good idea, juice. When comparing, make note, though, that the prices Fitzmall shows include the rebate.