Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Subaru Forester Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,591
    Check Joe Spitz's website for pricing. Is this price OTD or without TTL? Foresters on the west side of the state aren't too hard to get near invoice, and that's before rebates. Anyhow, price sounds high, trade in sounds low to me...

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Hop over to the Real-World Trade-in Values thread for a quick appraisal. It's quick and free.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,175

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Link is better, thanks. :shades:
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,175
    That's okay... thanks for pointing it out! :)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• dcwestbydcwestby Member Posts: 29
    Actually, I sent Lithia [Camp Subaru] the copied/pasted from the edmunds appraisal and I got a much better trade in offer... as high as over $14.3k tax credit trade in. So It would be likely that if I went for a forester, it would be with Camp/Lithia.

whats this ttd stuff?
  • jeffmcjeffmc Member Posts: 1,742
    Not exactly sure what you're referring to specifically, but I'd assume that's tax, title, documentation fee. :)
  • alanfszalanfsz Member Posts: 1
    I am looking at a 2006 Forester X Premium with 17,000 miles. It is steel gray with gray cloth interior and manual transmission. From what I can see, it has most available options and is in like new shape except for a few scuffs on lower plastic body panel from door dings. Has lowered price to $18,750.00. Is this a fair price?
  • th31415926th31415926 Member Posts: 1
    Just bought a 2008 2.5x auto for $18918, OTD $19834 in VA
  • ejb3232ejb3232 Member Posts: 2
    Anybody buy an 08 premium lately? Trying to gauge what they are going for. My best offer so far was for an 08 premium Auto with no options for 21,900 which included the destination charge. Alot of dealers are telling me their invoice price is 23,000 and some are at 22. Is this because of the area the dealers are in?
    What I was told at Camp was there are wholesale dealers and gross dealers. Gross dealers like Appleway tend to mark up the price more. Wholesale dealers, like Camp, will give you a far better deal. It sounds to me like your dealing with a wholesale dealer, but I could be wrong. The price is great in my opinion, considering the price at Appleway was inflated seemingly to a near total of 27k with trade in. If you can manage to get that for 22 or 23k, go for it.

I'm looking at an 08 X premium myself that has auto, the weather package and such. the one thing I would question is the cargo tray. I see that as a needless money waster and I could possibly convince the dealer to keep that item. its an extra 75$ that I could use for gas, you know?

Whats this premium with no options you speak of? The one I'm looking at has the weather package, which I think is part of the prem trim itself.. Not sure though.
  • p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
    According to Edmunds, the invoice for an 08X Premium is $22,726 (dest included) minus a $500 rebate so if you can get one for $21,900 that would be an excellent price.

-Frank
    I've not heard the terms "gross" & "wholesale" dealers but I suppose that's the equivalent of small and large volume dealers. It's simple business economics that the more of something you sell the lower the price you can sell it. So you're almost always going to get a better price from a larger volume dealer. The quality of the service dept is of course is a totally separate issue ;)

-Frank
    For an automatic, yes, congrats.
    I think that's a little high.

We just saw a brand new one minues the Premium package sell for about the same price.

In 2 years you would expect a little more depreciation, but Subies do really hold their value.

If it's that close, though, I'd just buy new.
  • growler5growler5 Member Posts: 67
    I'd keep the cargo tray - it's great for containing spillage from cat litter bags, potting soil bags, leaky liquid containers, etc.
    So, I went to Appleway first, told them that for some reason I felt uncomfortable [an unexplainable feeling] there and went to Camp.

I'm telling you, get a last day of the month deal. This is what I did...

Got GAP and oil change program included
    The protection thing
    Originally, they took my freestyle for 7500, but by the end of it, they took it for over 9000$, cutting the price from about 24k to over 16k and gave me a 6.9% apr total payments is about 25k.

I actually stood up and just about walked out the door at one point.

I pay 350$ a month for 72 months.

Salesman was impressed with me.

All in all, I just hope the economy holds out another 2 years...
  • kavoomkavoom Member Posts: 181
    The pics are starting. SubaruForester.org has some limited view pics but you can start to get an idea of it. It definitely is entering the realm of the larger SUV's, but is still a Forester...
  • ck7184ck7184 Member Posts: 5
    Do you think the GAP is worth getting?
  • madhops8madhops8 Member Posts: 1
    2008 Subaru Forester 2.5X Premium Package.

My curiosity is killing me. Just checking to see who got the better deal here, me or the dealer.

Premium Package (power moonroof, 6 CD changer, heated seats & exterior mirrors) + cargo net, custom tailpipe cover & all weather floor mats.

Final Price Paid: $21,142.38.

If I did the Edmonds TMV pricing report right with the above options:

MSRP = $24,804
    Invoice = $23,156

I did get $3,500 for a trade in...but in hindsight, I should have brought that into the mix at the end and not at the beginning...probably could've gotten a better deal if I threw it on at the end.

Any thoughts?
    My curiosity is killing me. Just checking to see who got the better deal here, me or the dealer.

Do you really want to know? From the info you provided and assuming you're not including TTL in your price paid, it sounds like the dealer fared better :(

According to Edmunds' TMV, 08 Foresters are going for right at invoice so... subtracting $3,500 for the trade should have brought you in under $20k. Instead it looks like the dealer subtracted the $3,500 from the MSRP.

Hope I'm wrong but regardless, you still got a great vehicle for a very reasonable price!

-Frank

P.S. You're absolutely correct about when to bring up the subject of a trade. Always lock in the final price of the new car before beginning to negotiate the value of a trade. Meanwhile, since it's to the dealer's advantage, the sales person will do his or her level best to combine the two deals into one. Your best bet when asked is to say you don't have a trade and then introduce it after you've locked in the sales price of the new car.
  • savyshprsavyshpr Member Posts: 2
    Going to buy a 2008 Forester 2.5 X Premium Manual
    It also has tail pipe covers and dimming mirror/compass

Based on the Consumer Reports price guide, I my initial offer should be 21,500, but this seems low compared to the Edmunds 22,579. Both prices are without the $500 rebate because we're going to finance.

MSRP is 24,154

Any thoughts/ideas? Thanks!
    Hmm... I'm getting different numbers than you. A 2008 Forester 2.5 X Premium Manual with tail pipe covers and auto dimming mirror/compass prices out with a MSRP of $23,565 and an invoice of $22,146.

Regardless, Edmunds TMV is currently about $500 over invoice (not counting the rebate) so that's what I would be shooting for. It's quite possible you can do better but also possible that you won't be able to get the dealer that low (there are too many variables for anyone here to accurately predict what the final selling price will be.).

Good luck and let us know how you fare :)

-Frank
  • savyshprsavyshpr Member Posts: 2
    Thanks fo the info, Frank. :)

As of right now we're at a standstill. We started negotiating at 22,000 and the dealer countered with 23,000. We went back with 22,600, and they countered again with 22,850. At this point I think we're going to wait-- we want to try to get them down a bit more from their initial offer of 23,000 (since they've only come down 150). Maybe they'll be more motivated as the end of the year draws near. :D
    You may or may not be able to get them to go lower. It depends on a number of factors such as:

a. Where in the monthly sales cycle you fall
    b. Has the sales person/dealer already made their quota
    b. How many other Foresters they have on the lot
    c. Whether or not the dealer thinks you're a serious buyer

I could go on but you get the idea.

Here's a thought for you though: at the end of the day, is a difference of $250 really a deal breaker? Naturally every buyer wants to get the best possible price but we're only talking about 1% of the sales price :)

-Frank
    I don't disagree with Frank, but your offer seems reasonable, as you more than met them half way. Let it brew a bit.

If they call you, the ball's in your court.
    I got my 07 for 21,674 Premium Package a year ago and it seems I have seen them go down from there with an actual reduction??? in invoice for 2008? You might go back through the posts. That was with all rebates, customer loyalty 500 etc. I ended up giving back a 500 rebate for the 4.9% so ended up that much...
    I checked and the prices did come down. There is presently a 500 buck rebate, but man if you could find an 07, there is a 2,000 rebate on everything through Jan 2nd. They must really want to move them, Subaru very seldom goes that high on rebates... I do notice that for awhile earlier this year they had rebates AND low interest rates instead of one or the other...

And if you can wait till the 09's are coming I bet they do everything they can to dump the old model body types... That is only about four months away...
  • redsnareredsnare Member Posts: 6
    The cash back and low rate can currently be combined on Foresters through the end of the month. Also, 0% APR special financing is available on terms up to 24 months.
  • windy101windy101 Member Posts: 6
    Forester 2008 2.5X premium package auto

Bought one at $21408+tax+reg. fee+doc. fee a month ago. The car has 2 options on it: auto dimmer mirror & premium group 1B.
  • geetageeta Member Posts: 2
    If all goes well, I'll buy a gold 2008 2.5X subie forester premium package tomorrow. I'm now driving my 1998 S forester, and it is time to upgrade. I'll let you know the price I get. I am not planning a trade-in. Too complicated for me. What I plan to do (since reading your letters) is to offer 21,000 and be willing to go up slowly to 21,500 max. That's before tax, license, and all that stuff. I am basing this 21,500 price on letters I've read here where people paid that and less. I should add that I am in Northern California. Please let me know if you think that 21,500 is an okay price, or should I, with the rebate, and being the last day of the month/year, go for less? But please get back to me quickly. Tomorrow is the day.
    I think you will get the price you want. Good luck!
  • geetageeta Member Posts: 2
    Well.....call it bad luck or good luck, but I did NOT get the subaru premium 2.5x. The dealer would not budge. I went up to 21,300 on a lovely gold one, and he looked at me as if I were nuts. Since he would not come down one dollar, I never even got the chance to bid the 21,500 as planned. We were one thousand dollars apart. It was tense, and I walked out, and he did NOT come running after me.

So I drove down the highway to Toyota, and bought myself the most gorgeous
    Rav4, 6 cylinder 4WD you've ever seen. Of course I paid a lot more, but I am happy about the purchase. Now to put my 1998 for sale on Craig's List...... geeta
  • jefbakjefbak Member Posts: 19
    I went thru hell last year at this time getting price down for a premium forster to $21,500. But I did it for a 24 month lease in the end. This was a year ago on the 1st as well.
  • slazengerslazenger Member Posts: 99
    Geeta,

You should have contacted a few more Subaru dealers. $21,500 doesn't sound completely unreasonable. Anyways, enjoy your RAV4. What color and trim did you get?
    This is a good example showing that similar to the housing market, all vehicle markets are local. So just because someone else on the other side of the country got one price, there's no guarantee that you'll be able to get the same price. You may be able to do better but there's an equal chance that you'll not do as good.

It's strikes me as a little ironic that you ended up paying lots more for a RAV4 but then I assume you felt that you were getting a "better deal" from the Toyota dealer :confuse:

Regardless, the RAV4 is an excellent vehicle and feeling good about such a big purchase is very important. Enjoy your new ride :)

-Frank
    Congrats. It's their loss that they were not able to please the customer.

You should drive by to show them your new ride. Next time maybe they'll try harder.
  • thundercrackerthundercracker Member Posts: 14
    hi all,

i got a price quote for an '07 Forester XT, for $22,400 before all taxes. Seems like a decent deal, given MSRP is around $26-27k. I did not hear about 0% financing, is this only in certain areas?

Is this a decent price for an '07? There aren't too many changes from 07 to 08, so I'm thinking this is an ok starting point. I am hoping to get this for $20k before taxes, but not sure if that is reasonable. Any feedback?

thanks in advance
    Wow, I remember those were $25k when they came out.

The only concern of mine would be the 09s are about to come out, so yours will seem 2 years old in a couple of months. That might hurt resale.

Shouldn't matter with that low price.
    $20k is too low. I'm gonna assume based on your MSRP numbers that this is the least expensive XT, which is a manual transmission XT Sports that has $26,620 MSRP and invoices at $25,000 (incl. destination). Take the invoice price, subtract the $2000 rebate, and you're at $23,000. No way a dealer can take another $3000 off of that. Your $22,400 price is pretty good. I'd estimate you could, at most, knock another $200-600 off.

Here's the rates for 2007 Subies, CAN be combined with 2007 Forester rebate:
    credit score...24mo...36mo...48mo...60mo...72mo
    700+...............1.9......2.9......3.9......4.9......5.9
    699-660...........4.9......5.9......6.9......6.9......6.9
    659-620...........5.9......6.9......6.9......6.9......7.9
    619-................9.9......9.9......9.9......9.9......10.9

Good luck shopping! Your find is pretty rare. :D I don't think there are many new '07 XTs left around... Fitzmall has over 60, but no '07s, and my dealer (Carter in Seattle) has over 100 Foresters in stock, but no '07s!
  • thundercrackerthundercracker Member Posts: 14
    thanks for all your replies. the price quote was for an AT '07 XT. it's really for my sister, and i was really surprised at how much rebates they were offering. will go back to the dealer and check to make sure they still have some left.
    That's a fantastic price for an automatic! If it's still around and she likes it, I wouldn't waste any time. Invoice on an AT is $25,900, after rebates leaves you with $23,900. They're offering another $1500 off, which is the most I can recall seeing... usually dealer discounts top out around $1200-ish, depending on what kind of incentives the dealer's being given by Subaru.
  • dcdamedcdame Member Posts: 24
    Can someone please explain the difference (in meaning) between alternative current Subaru promos?

Subaru currently offers alternative promotions for Forester buyers - choose (1) "cash back" plus APR incentive or (2) "customer cash" - what's the difference? The "cash back" and "customer cash" amounts offered are the same. Is one for people who finance w/the dealer and one for those who don't or what? If the former, why not just say "cash back" on all sales, plus APR incentive for those who finance w/dealer, rather than using two terms to describe identical cash offers? I don't get it.

I'm considering trading my 2005 Turbo Baja for a new Forester (will wait '09 models are released to see what deals are offered on '08s, plus I might like the '09s more, even though I'll pay more), but I don't understand the terminology used in the SOA promotions.

http://www.subaru.com/tools/financialsolutions/special_offers_results.jsp
    Sounds like no difference to me.

What differs is factory-to-dealer incentives.

Here in MD, that's actually better than cash back. The dealer can lower the price, so as a customer you don't pay sales tax on the rebate amount. If you get cash back in MD, you do pay tax.

That's an extra $50 in MD for every $1000 worth of rebates.
    Actually, that savings would be $60 now, thanks to the recent bump in the MD sales tax rate - 6% now - so even better. I'd be interested in negotiating on that basis, rather than customer cash/cash rebates, but how do I discover what factory-to-dealer incentives are in place at any point in time? I know, I know -- I should try Google before asking here (I tried a net search on my first question and got nowhere, but my current question sounds like I might get lucky w/a search). Still, if any of y'all have any suggestions/insights beyond Google (or the like), I'm all ears.
    One way to get a ballpark estimate is to check the prices online at Fitzmall to see how far below invoice they're offering. Add the rebates back in, see what the difference is between that price and invoice, and you've found the factory-to-dealer incentives. Their prices are almost always about as low as you can go, so it gives you a pretty good idea, although it's certainly not exact or scientific. ;)
    6%? Really? I had not even heard about that! :cry:
    What I found appalling was the way car dealers, during the end of the year, advertised heavily about the tax increase ("20% sales tax increase after 1/2/08!"), yet failed to let customers know that on the same day the new 6% rate went into effect, a new law would also be going into effect changing the way the tax on a car sale is assessed.

Before the increase, the 5% tax was assessed on the new vehicle purchase price, but now the tax is assessed, at 6%, on the difference between the sale price and the trade. So, if you bought a $20K car on 1/1/08 and had a $12K trade, you'd have paid 5% tax on $20K - i.e., $1000. If you waited two days and bought a $20K car with a $12K trade, you'd pay 6% tax on $8K, i.e., $480 - so you'd pay $520 less if you waited to buy. MD dealers publicized the taxes based on the assumption of no trade (i.e., "buy now before the 20% tax increase goes into effect!") to get people into their showrooms, even though many (most?) people trade a vehicle -- they didn't mention the potential tax benefit of waiting. Cash buyers and anyone having a trade worth less than 16.67% (1/6) of the purchase price would have been better off by buying before the increase (all other figures being equal) - everyone else would be have been worse off buying earlier.

I'm not thrilled the sales tax rate went up (still, it is the first increase since 1977, so I'm not surprised), but the change on the assessment method does remove one of the reasons I had considered keeping my car longer (i.e., not getting any credit for the tax I'd already paid on 2005 the purchase for the Baja). I'd still be smart (finances-wises) to keep the Baja for a few more years -- it's a great vehicle in general, except I'm tired of raising the heavy cover over the bed. Of course, even if I decide to trade the Baja, I've still got to make up my mind on what to get - a Forester or an Outback. Decisions, decisions!
    Hey just be happy that your sales tax is ONLY 6%! We're stuck with a 9% sales tax and I think parts of CA are even higher! :cry:

-Frank
  • erics6erics6 Member Posts: 684
    What's a sales tax?

-Oregon resident.