Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Subaru Forester Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• jeffmcjeffmc Member Posts: 1,742
    I think $1500 and $2100 below invoice are too aggressive counteroffers, especially on a new model. From what I've seen on the Subie forums the last few years, the largest drop from invoice was somewhere around $1200-$1500 (not including rebates, of course). I'd be surprised if either dealer could go much lower, because I wouldn't expect Subaru to be offering much in the way of factory-to-dealer incentives.

Eager to see how your negotiations work out! Please post your results... if you can get lower prices, that's pretty impressive. :) (I think even the prices you've got already are very impressive, particularly this early in the model year. :shades: )
  • tap1495tap1495 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on what the invoice price might be for a 2009 Forester 2.5X with Premium Package is. Any insight would be greatly appreciated....

Thanks!
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Check the cars101 web site, that's your best bet.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830
    Right here on Edmunds!!

2009 Subaru Forester: Pricing

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• chibiichibii Member Posts: 5
    I'm planning on purchasing a 2009 Subaru Forester 2.5X LL Bean shortly and was wondering where you got your quote from?
  • ddub1ddub1 Member Posts: 1
    Same question here, please let me know where you got that quote for an 09 LL Bean.

I'm also curious about a couple of the comments about how edmunds has the TMV right. From what I see all the TMVs are MSRP for the 09. Am I missing something or are you referring to the invoices prices?

Thanks
  • bclementsbclements Member Posts: 4
    Updated offers from both dealers (pretty much final):

2.5XT Limited w/VDC ==> $26,700.00
    2.5XT Limited w/VDC & Nav ==> $28,600.00

Almost a $2,000 difference. And the one without the navigation does come with the front bumper guard. I really want the Nav, it just looks slick, and its going to look better than anything aftermarket I could put in there. Will have to give this some thought...

-Bill
  • reydelroblereydelroble Member Posts: 12
    My quote was from internet sales at a dealer in Portland Oregon, my local dealers here in Washington are much harder to deal with, they will eventually match a deal... or so they say.
    I hate to be more specific until I buy my Forester then I will tell all if it helps.
  • acesoverkingsacesoverkings Member Posts: 3
    Hi folks,

I've lurked around here long enough that I wanted to give a little information back to the masses now that I've finally made a decision and started the purchase process.

Last Friday afternoon I ordered an '09 Forester L.L. Bean (Red, no Nav).

After about 8 months of agonizing research looking for a safe, fuel-efficient, winter-capable vehicle, I settled on the Forester. Not too big, not too small. Hopefully it will end up being "just right." I wasn't going to make any decisions until the crash tests were out, but I found the Australian crash test results, and they reassured me that Subaru didn't do anything to screw up the good safety reputation they've built with the Forester.

I configured the vehicle on Edmunds and requested quotes from the four nearest dealers. Despite my concern about the value and usefulness of accessories, I ended up ordering a whole slew of them.

I received automated responses from 3 dealerships, and a personalized, "real" email from the internet manager at the 4th. She looked at my list of preferences and said that she could track down the vehicle from another dealership and then install the options, but it would be much less expensive if I wanted to special order it and wait.

She offered to order the vehicle and accessories at sell at invoice, bypassing dealer installation charges on the accessories by having them installed "at the port". We set up a final test drive, and then sat down and we went through the order process. We went right down the screen selecting the options I wanted, and I cross-checked the invoice price against what Edmunds has. There weren't any surprises -- all the invoice prices checked out.

There was a snag that some may find humorous or interesting: I wanted the wheel arch moldings and splash guards, but the system would not let us check both. It gave an error message that they are incompatible with one another. I had to bring it to the sales folks' attention that the advertisement for the moldings clearly says, 'Looks great with the accessory Splash Guards!" and vice versa. They had a good laugh over that, but I was mildly annoyed.

Also, a rear backup sensor was on the list of possible accessories, but does not appear in any "build-your-own" configuration tool I've seen. Also disappointing is that the iPod interface kit evidently is not compatible with the "improved" audio system in the L.L. Bean trim level. My understanding is that the kit improves over the basic auxillary input by allowing iPod control from the stereo controls, and charging, turning off the iPod when the vehicle powers down, etc.

At any rate, the final ordered vehicle went something like this:

(2009 L.L. Bean Forester, Camellia Red, No Navigation)
    ++ Rear Bumper Cover
    ++ Subwoofer
    ++ Spoiler
    ++ Splash Guards
    ++ Wheel Arch Moldings (?)
    ++ Rear Backup Sensor
    ++ Moonroof Air Deflector
    ++ Puddle Lights
    ++ iPod Tray
    ++ Body Side Molding
    ++ Auto-Dim Mirror with Compass and HomeLink
    ++ PZEV (Massachusetts)

Cost was $27K even. This is consistent with the invoice prices listed on Edmunds and elsewhere. (I didn't want to reward her forthright offer to order the vehicle and save me money by greedily attempting to negotiate lower than invoice). Had to deposit the cost of the accessories, and now I just wait. Forecast was 4 to 8 weeks.

So that's the story so far. I'll keep you guys posted on the rest of the buying experience as it develops.
    Congrats. Let me know how you like it when you take delivery.

We may end up with the same model, but probably a different color.
    Sounds good... the red Bean would be my 1st choice as well. Let us know what dealer you went through. Can't list salespeople's names, but dealership's OK.
  • acesoverkingsacesoverkings Member Posts: 3
    Planet Subaru is the dealership.

Goofy name.
    Horrendous dealer badge/insignia.

Excellent internet customer service and freebie warranty incentives.

edit: www.planetsubaru.com In case there's more than one out there.
  • chibiichibii Member Posts: 5
    I'm planning on purchasing a 2009 Subaru Forester in the US and bringing it back to Canada. Any advice?
    Advice? Yes, check out http://www.cars101.com/canada.html for some good information on the process.
    It's not a bad deal, but I'm sure it can be beaten. E-mail the internet sales dept at Carter Subaru (N. Seattle) with the exact model you want (you can view their inventory online) and they'll send you a no-haggle take-it-or-leave-it offer. Great to work with. Also heard of good deals from Chaplin's Eastside through online sales.
  • akdl07akdl07 Member Posts: 4
    Just plased an order for 2009 Subaru Forester Auto /Premium pkg.
    Negotiatd price $23,135 (including dest) + 8.375% Brooklyn.NYC sales tax,
    plus $ 59.00 FOR FULL TANK OF GAS.
    plus $227.00 DMV/Plates.
    Total PaiD $ 25,360.00
    car should be in dealersship from 4 to 6 weeks.

I'm not sure if his is the best price, but i think it is pretty good.
    i Negotiated & confirmed all PRICES over e-mail. Came in for a test drive AND PLASED the order.

So far everything went smoth trasaction.
  • leseuldanielleseuldaniel Member Posts: 45
    Make you calculations.

MSRP of equivalent limited (LLbean) is approx 6-7 K more in Canada, but:

You have to pay 6.1% duty upon import.
    You have to pay cash (if you have it, good, if you don't, you need to finance and take into account Subaru of Canada rates and promotions)
    You have to buy, no lease
    You have to pay docs, plus traveling to US.
    You have to pay inspection
    You can't trade in you car, nor can you apply graduate rebate.
    Warranty is honored, but you need to pay upfront.
    Resale value 'might' be lower in Canada.

Since the 2009 canadian prices were reduced by 1500-4000$, you need to make sure it is still worth it to buy US. In most cases, I think it still does but it is much less worth it than in 2008. Let's say they adjusted prices up to the point where you ask yourself if you should still go for it. Marketing strategy...
    Congrats. Let us know what color you get.
    Color is Spark Silver Metalic wityh Black Cloth .
    Good choice, I believe our test drive was in the same color, except it has a leather interior.

The roof rails and grille blend in well with that color.

Congrats again.
  • mfletou1mfletou1 Member Posts: 508
    They're making you PAY for full tank of gas?

$59????? My Odyssey costs less than that to full up!
    yes, $59 for gas...I dont mind. it comes out to $3.49 a gallon...at current prices it is OK.
    I heard there will be no more LL Beans, that Subaru has cut the deal and the Forester will only be available with a limited package instead. I hope the same features will be included as well as options and colors.
  • skeletonskeleton Member Posts: 37
    Just placed an order for a 2009 Forester Premium. Saved about $4000 off the Canadian list price all tolled. Also have a PZEV model - can leave the car idling to help clean the air Toronto.

Very easy. Just called the dealer and they do all the work. Takes 72 hours. Will pick it up early next week.

If this ends up being as easy as it is so far, Subaru Canada needs to make some big changes as there really isn't a reason to spend the extra $4K, even with the warranty re-imbursement issue. I don't know the figure but I would guess that 80% of the Canadian population live within a few of hours of a US Subaru dealer.

I had called Subaru Canada today and told them that I was planning on buying in the US and that they should let me know now if they plan on offering any rebates or low financing rates as I would prefer to keep my business in Canada. However, given that I'm buying a PZEV car, I'm actually feeling better (guilt is reversed) about buying the US model at this point.
    Only thing missing from the Limiteds will be the LL Bean logos on the seats, floor mats & rear hatch. Same content. :)
    Congrats on your purchase, skeleton. That's a substantial savings. And Canadians who purchase US-built Legacy, Outback or Tribeca would save at an even greater rate due to NAFTA (no duties). If the tables were turned, I'd drive a couple hours north from my home to Vancouver for a $4k savings. Keep us posted on the process.
  • leseuldanielleseuldaniel Member Posts: 45
    Congratulation. Would you mind sharing the price you paid?

By the way, you should feel no guilt at all about not buying in Canada from gouging manufacturers! You can spend the saved 4000 at canadian companies that do respect you as a customer. I know I will...And yes, PZEV sure make you feel better about buying SUV.
  • skeletonskeleton Member Posts: 37
    I'm paying around $400 over invoice. They had the colour and addons I wanted already installed.
    I think all you Canucks are buying up the LL Beans from America!

My dealer still didn't get one! :(
  • lmn908lmn908 Member Posts: 34
    Hi Juice:

Heritage Subaru has a silver LL Bean w/o Nav, if you're up to a drive to Balawmer (Owings Mill actually). Saw it this morning when I was having my outback serviced - looks pretty nice.

Larry
  • mfletou1mfletou1 Member Posts: 508
    The day I pay for a tank of gas in a new car is the day I don't buy a new car. Hell, my Ody was 3/4 and I made them go fill it up.

Cheap b***tards. (Dealers).
    I think those have black interiors. She wants platinum leather.

I think she's going with blue. The dealer is looking for one and will do a dealer trade.

Bob called me with a similar tip.

Thanks for keepin' an eye out.
  • lmn908lmn908 Member Posts: 34
    Good luck. I know from following these boards how patiently you've been waiting.

Annapolis Subaru is showing a blue LL Bean with gray (not dark gray) interior in their inventory.

Larry
  • sladeboysladeboy Member Posts: 4
    Where did you get it from?
    Fitz will find it and do a dealer trade.

I'm not in a hurry because I want to wait until May 1 just in case any incentives appear. I doubt it, but I'd hate to miss them by a day.
    I found Carter Subaru the most arrogant and least helpful of all the dealers I talked with. They also would not quote me a price but merely kept insisting I "come in". They finally said to go somewhere else where someone would have more time to help me-so I did.

Here is my deal from a dealer in Portland Oregon
    Total Vehicle Price: $ 27,446.00

Factory Order Option:

2009 Subaru Forester 2.5X Limited (AT) PZEV in Sage Green with Platinum leather interior
    MSRP Invoice
    2009 Forester 2.5X Limited (incl. Destination) $ 26,195.00
    - All weather floor mats
    - Auto-dimming mirror/compass with Home Link
    - Aero cross bars
    - i-pod/phone console tray
    - XM Satellite radio kit
    - Rear bumper cover
    - Puddle light kit
    - Hood protector kit
    - Wheel arch molding kit
    - Security system upgrade (shock sensor)
    - Body side molding kit
    - Rear spoiler
    -PZEV
    Total Vehicle Price $ 28,748.00
    Invoice $ 26,963.00

MY On-Line Price: $ 26,663.00

$300 under invoice with no fluff charges of any type, just tax and license. Of course it must be ordered and will be a limited not an LL Bean.

PS My deal has now been matched by a dealer in Marysville WA.
    Is that through the internet sales at Carter? If so, I'm very surprised. I always get low quotes upfront from them. Sorry your experience was otherwise. They've been very hands-off w/me, maybe that came across as arrogant? :confuse:

Though it's the closest one to my home, I've never been a fan of the Marysville dealer (Roy Robinson)... Subaru is relegated to a small portion of their showroom and the folks I've talked too there haven't seemed to be Subaru "experts". Always felt like they'd much rather sell me a Chevy. If they'll match the price and are more convenient for you, might not be bad. And maybe they've improved since I was last there a couple years ago.

Who's the Portland dealer, Carr? Ask kurtamaxxguy (2009 Forester thread) where he bought... think it was Salem, OR. He preferred them to Carr and got a good deal.
    Yes, the Internet at Carter. I have friends who bought there and got good deals and I told him that as well but maybe they have more business than they can handle. I was shocked by the attitude and E-mails I received.
    I use to live close by and my gal was ignored when she went in to look for a car.

Your guess is correct for Portland and I have saved the local chevy/subaru dealer for last as they will probably be my service dept. Another friend has had continued good service on his Forester there.

So, do you think $300 under invoice is not good enough on a new model?
    I haven't seen anyone come close yet. Had a friend buy one through the Costco program last week for $300 over invoice.
  • p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
    Sounds like a great deal to me! Plus... no sales tax in Oregon. I hate you :P
    Yeah, I've wandered the lot at Carter as well, and even the showroom, and sometimes had no one approach me. Compared to some places where they stalk your car as you pull onto the lot, that can be a good thing. ;) Customers should be at least greeted, however.

I guess I never said it in my reply, but I think $300 under invoice is great for a new model w/no rebates! :shades:
  • firstsubfirstsub Member Posts: 11
    Just bought my first subaru! I was looking for a larger vehicle than my 2006 Altima so I could tote camping gear, kyacks, and take the girls back to college. I 'm in the car for business for 28,000 miles a year so comfort was my first consideration. I felt cramped in the cockpit of both the CRV & the RAV4 with the RAV4 feeling the most cramped. My right knee kept hitting the center console and the cloth seats seemed very hard to me .. I stopped at a Subaru dealer early in the hunt & looked at the 2008 Forester. Looked very spartan to me. Dealer suggested wating until the 2009. Finally test drove the 2009 and loved it. The drivers seat was very comfortable with plenty of room for my legs. I deceided to purchase. However, I am very dissatisfied with the Yokohama G-95 tires. VERY NOISY. I can't stand it. Contacted Yokohama and they are replacing .. I've selected the Yoko AVID H4S. I'm hoping this will quit the ride. Here's my pricing:

2.5X with premium package
    Aero Bars
    Rear bumper cover
    Cargo tray
    All weather floor mats
    Cargo net
    Wheel locks invoice $ 23,155
    PZEV paid $ 23,300
    not sure if dealer pays for PZEV($200) if so invoice would be $23,255. Shopped by internet.. Came down to 2 dealers.. Bill Kolb JR-Rockland County NY and Libery Suburu- NJ just over GW bridge. Both we're $100 of each other. Bought at Bill Kolb.. Very happy with them . No extras or hidden charges and very professional.. Could have saved $600 at Fitzmall howvever felt I wanted to have a local dealer if I ran into any problems.
    Out-of-state residents still have to pay sales tax on vehicles even though they purchase in OR. :(
    Congrats, firstsub! PZEV increases the invoice, so it's more the dealer has to pay when they purchase from Subaru of America.

Is Yokohama replacing free of charge? Let us know how the new tires affect the ride/sound levels.
  • firstsubfirstsub Member Posts: 11
    Spoke with Yokohama & they will replace through authorized dealer with tires of comprable price and pay for mounting & balancing. I'm not crazy about Yokohama but there is nothing I can do except pay for a new set of tires my self.. No one has any specs on this tire. neither Yokohama America, tirerack or Subaru.. too new. Called subaru and they are following my case. They seem interested to help & find out comments about the new Forester. Will adivse
  • leo2633leo2633 Member Posts: 589
    Congratulations on your new Subaru. We bought our last two Subes at Kolb and have been very satisfied with them, both with the sales and service departments. Stick around these boards for lots of Subaru info and insight. Best of luck with your new ride.

Len
    I agree, it can be a good thing to be left alone at a car lot. I sometimes cruise them after hours for that reason, but if your a woman, you get a different take on the experience. :mad:

What about the lemon law? :lemon:
    I was told by a dealer that it only applies if I buy in WA and would not apply if I buy in OR.
  • asdf9asdf9 Member Posts: 26
    You know I hate SUV's but for some reason the 2009 forester is nice. Anyhow, is all the hype about waiting till the end of the month valid to get a good deal on a new car. I'd hate to wait till the end of may. I need a new car! The only option I need is the hitch bike rack. I wonder if that is removable.
  • p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
    I wonder if that is removable.

Well the bike rack obviously is but not the hitch. However, the hitch is just a receiver which doesn't protrude from under the bumper so it's not all that noticeable.

-Frank
    "I was told by a dealer that it only applies if I buy in WA and would not apply if I buy in OR."

Seems to be true:
    http://www.atg.wa.gov/LemonLaw/General.aspx
  • skibum1026skibum1026 Member Posts: 1
    Went in to buy a limited legacy for $800 under invoice plus the $1,000 rebate. They did not have the color we wanted so we ended up picking out a black on black L.L. Bean Forester. We paid $25,300, so $300 over invoice which we didn't think was too bad. We added the bumper to bumper subaru gold plus plan to 100k miles and 5 yrs for an additional $900. We paid 7% sales tax here in Illinois. Sounds stupid, but we like the little up to date details like the blue accented instrument cluster and the blue lights in the rear cup holders. Car drives great, and impressed with the quality. And the sunroof is awesome! Its huge. Gerald Subaru in North Aurora took care of us pretty well and the car came with a free lifetime powertrain warranty good anywhere in the country, $100 deductible at no extra cost to us. The one thing I don't get, why are Subaru's services at 30k, 60k so expensive!?