Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Subaru Forester Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• jverricojverrico Member Posts: 2
    I think that's a good deal compared to the pricing I've seen so far here in Western NY. I'd drive home happy . . .
  • slateracslaterac Member Posts: 85
    Thank you all for your responses. We are going to go look at one as soon as we can. Definately by Saturday though. I talked to the dealer in the area that was overcharging me compared to the one up north and they couldn't match the price. I think it's a deal where they don't sell many so they have to make a big profit where the other one up north has sold more than the entire region last month and they can sell quantity and make money that way.

If all the numbers hold true, and the dealer said that he stood by this numbers, then I'll be reporting on a new subaru forester this weekend.

Side Note: With the price of gas what are you all experiencing? I have seen 26 avg. and 28 avg. but I didn't know.

Thanks.
  • tkaytkay Member Posts: 99
    Will be taking my 09 Bean in for the 1st. scheduled maintenance.(by the way dealer gave me 3yr.free scheduled maintenance) my dash mpg reads 26...I am expecting a little better. My odo reads 3260...
  • slateracslaterac Member Posts: 85
    That's not bad. Was it mostly city or highway driving? I'm expecting a little better on highway.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    26 ain't bad given it's not broken in yet. It should improve with more miles.
  • victor_pvvictor_pv Member Posts: 13
    Hi Slaterac,
    Usually all the cars available at dealers' lots have some extras. Dimming mirror, or spash guard, or something else. Usually between $500 and $1000 worth of extras.

If you want a car from the lot, you have to take it with those extras, no matter if you want them or not, but you can configure the car with the same extras in Edmunds to compare the MSRP and invoice price, and see if the dealer is offering you a good price.

For everyone asking if the price they got is a good deal, I would advice them to check what other people is getting in the same market.
    It is really better to compare the price to what other dealers can offer in your area, so ask for prices around and see what price they give you. Even if you are convinced to buy the car at the dealer next to your house, you can use the price from a dealer 100 miles away to compare, and to negotiate.
    But keep in mind the prices can be completely different in 2 different cities, and still both be a good deal.
    Personally, I think a bad deal is one close to MSRP, and when it is around the invoice price, it is not too bad. From there, you have to look for the lowest you can get.
    It seems some people is getting them at invoice, and some people is getting them way below invoice. So configure the car with the exact options the dealer is offering you at edmunds, and print the invoice price, and try to get the price below it :)
    When I finally decide if I buy the Forester, I will let you know at what price. Maybe I take the decission this week.
  • sgloonsgloon Member Posts: 323
    Slaterac,

As others mentioned, as we don't know your exact options nor the MSRP and listed Invoice Price, it is hard to say. I saw the suggestions on the board here for you to be able to get that information.

My general rule of thumb (at least for the area I live in with lots of subaru dealers to pick from...)
    The max I plan to pay is Invoice minus (dealer holdback amount). Without the consumer reports info, you can estimate dealer holdback to be about 3% of MSRP. It varies a bit depending on the make, location, etc...but it is a good rough number to start with. For myself, in my area, that would be the high end that I would expect the dealer to start negotiating from. While I start somewhere lower...because, of course, I want a better deal. From the bids I have gotten so far, some dealers are starting higher, some are starting lower and some are even much lower. But, if I recall, you are in NY state, so the territory will matter as well...how are they selling there...sitting on the lots or flying off?

Now the 250 gas card is $250 toward the price of the car and something you know you will use. If the dealer knows you are serious, they have things, like this gas card, or in a previous post, the first 3 years of regular maintenance paid for... At some point in your negotiations, they may suggest other items...you decide whether what they are offering is worth something to you. And whether it is worth adding to the total cost you are willing to pay for the car.

The main thing to remember is to keep your emotions, ie how much you like this car, out of the negotiation. Be bullet proof to dealer flattery. Do all your research before you start the negotiation. Set your goal (optimum price) for the negotiation before you start negotiating, know what you are willing to pay (max) and at what point you will walk away. And then, being willing to walk away if you don't get what you want.

In the end, only you can determine what is a good value for you. If you are happy with what you get the car for, including these extras. Drive away happy!

Good Luck this weekend!
  • aredfieldaredfield Member Posts: 11
    Am looking to buy in North Jersey. It's a pricey area. Want to get a 4 door Imprezza 2.5 automatic w/premium package. I will pay with a check (no financing). I have a few on line quotes, lowest being $18,650.

All my purchases in the past 8 years or so have been Saturns because I hate all this back and forth negotiation.

How does $18650 sound to people?
    Aredfield,
    They get a kickback when you finance with them. Some are willing to give you back this kickback if you finance with them... so suggest not telling them you will pay cash until you have closed the deal. Though always talk in terms of price of car, not the "monthly" payment. You can agree to a lot more without realizing it.

I haven't been looking at Imprezzas...but it is good to post the MSRP and Invoice cost when you ask on the boards, so we can be more helpful. :shades:
  • kkrtrekkkrtrek Member Posts: 51
    I seem to have completely forgotten this. When everyone speak of price quotes: "Invoice" or "Invoice plus $500," does that include destination charges, or are they added on top of that, like sales tax. So, if someone posts that they got their Forester for $24,000, that figure includes destination, and only taxes, license, transfer are added?

Gotta' sharpen my negotiation skills for that Forester I want in the driveway.
  • mickxianmickxian Member Posts: 7
    Hi Gurus,
    i want to buy a 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD w/Premium Pkg,VDC ,this is my first time to buy a car~i have no idea before until i see this forums~thx your guys~and here is Edmund's TMV calculations
    MSRP Invoice
    National Base Price $23,495 $22,079
    F9G Popular Equipment Group 2 $564 $410
    Includes wheel arch moldings and splash guards
    F9S Premium Sound Package 2 $547 $356
    Includes iPod interface, iPod/phone console tray and subwoofer/amplifier
    R8D Security System Shock Sensor $127 $83
    B8A Floor Mats, All Weather $69 $39
    Destination Charge $665 $665
    Total with Options $25,467 $23,632

i am in south california, How would I go about determining a good starting offer on my part? and what do your gays think the best OTD prize is?
    best regard
  • phdhuskyphdhusky Member Posts: 112
    Just start by getting quotes from your dealers around the area. I know up here in CT I paid 23200 for a car with an MSRP of 25800. (Not the OTD prices) Your convinence fee may be different also, so OTD will be diff. Personally I wouldn't get the sub/amp I would just do it aftermarket and get better ones. You should easliy get below invoice which i did and I got their holdback taken off also but took some negotiating.

Hope this helps
    what options did you get? and what is your final prize? i want to get a better sound system~but i have no idea of that~ :cry:
    My options were, wheel well covers, bumper cover, sport grill, splash gaurds, wheel locks, rear spoiler, and crossbars. Final was 23200, that's not my OTD since it will vary from state to state.
    i have got Internet price from a dealer~$24170(inc options requested)include
    Destination and Advertising not include tax, licence, Doc fee or any dealer installed accessories

do your guys think i can make more down?
    If this is the same vehicle you said a few posts back with a MSRP of 25400 with destination i think you can do better...at least 1k. Just basing this off my deal.
    OK~thank you very much~
  • go_car_go1go_car_go1 Member Posts: 4
    formally know as the 2.5X LL Bean. Got it for $400 below invoice. MSRP with options
    $27794, my cost $25414. This includes destination but excludes taxes, license, and doc fees. I may or may not trade my car which affects taxes. This is the Chicago Land area. I ordered it as a PZEV to be nicer to the environment, (and supposedly 5 more HP), although not required in Illinois. I was told it can take up to 8 weeks. I liked the combination of utility, safety, AWD, mileage, and good outward visibility and I will finally have heated side view mirrors. Some little things make a difference.
    Sounds very familiar, I paid the same (within $100) and ordered the same thing, PZEV even.

The cool thing is if incentives appear, I get them. Hopefully you would too.

I'm not holding my breath given demand is hot.

I will also apply $1600 Subaru Bucks to my deal, which will lower the actual price paid. :shades:
  • rodojvrodojv Member Posts: 5
    I was wondering if anybody knows of a website where I can get OEM Subaru accessories with instructions for a do-it-yourself type of guy?
    i have got Internet price from a dealer~25,300 out the door.it was 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD w/Premium Pkg with auto transmisson
    It has the ipod interface, luggage compartment cover, splash guards, rear bumper cover, and the tailpipe covers

do your guys think i can make more down?
    Mick,

What were the MSRP and Invoice for the features you have listed?

Where do you live?
  • mwasnidgemwasnidge Member Posts: 28
    Got this internet quote from a local dealer for the below package with my vip program discount:

Premium w/ All weather package:

Body side molding
    Wheel Arch molding
    Splash Guard kit
    Fog lamp kit
    Puddle light kit
    Rear bumper cover
    Luggage compartment cover
    Cargo tray

"The Forester premium with all weather package and additional options as you requested would have a MSRP of $26,284.00. The VIP program would allow you to purchase for $23,787.00 plus taxes and fees. This price is 2% below invoice"

What does everyone think this deal? I might wait another month and see what June incentives and rebates are on offer because I get those on top of the VIP program discount.
    I didn't think the Premium w/AWP would arrive until June, did you actually see one at the dealership?

Price sounds great. I'm surprised they accept the VIP program for a brand new model that wasn't even supposed to have arrived!
    Haven't seen one on the lot--this is just internet pricing, copied and pasted from the dealer. I wasn't aware of the All Weather Package coming in June. If there's a decent incentive and or low financing next month, i'll probably get it.
    At the launch cars101 said the AWP would not be available until next month, but it's great that it arrived early.
    2009 Subaru Forester
    2.5X 4dr SUV AWD w/Premium Pkg,VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)
    MSRP Invoice
    National Base Price auto transmission
    A note about advertising fees $23,495 $22,079
    Optional Equipment $697 $454
    E9A iPod Interface $223 $145
    O9A Luggage Compartment Cover $166 $108
    P9A Splash Guard Kit $132 $86
    Y8M Tail Pipe Cover - Dual Exhaust $98 $64
    P9J Rear Bumper Cover, Bulk $78 $51
    Destination Charge $665 $665
    Total with Options $24,857 $23,198

and iam in south california the dealer give me $25,300 OTD~
    Just FYI I paid 25200 OTD in CT for a car with MSRP of 25800. You prob could try go a little lower but not much.
    Anyone have any input as to what kind of incentives may be available next month or in the near future? I don't think the dealers even know until the day before though. From what I can see models haven't been moving off the lot very fast here in WI. I also notice that there are really good incentives for other imports like Nissan and Toyota available at the moment for the new model year. With my VIP program discount and something like $1000 off and 3.9 financing, I would probably wet myself!
    They really don't know.

Even if they did, I doubt they'd say anything, as it could make a customer wait until next month, and they could even change their minds. The dealer could lose a sale.

OTOH, they can suggest you come back next month if they suspect it might increase, and you were leaving anyway.

Keep in mind they lowered prices for the 2009s, so in a way the incentives are built-in. I do think they will appear eventually, but I have an order due in June or July and I'm not holding my breath.
    All good points.

I suppose I should be happy with anything under invoice and low financing...

I'll wait until June and then take the plunge.
    Sounds like a plan.

I'm not sure if mine will arrive in June or July, so we'll see. I just got my VON so I'm trying to get an ETA from SoA.
  • willyb1264willyb1264 Member Posts: 4
    Hey guys, is $18748 a good price for a base 2009 X with manual transmission? That price includes the doc fee but not tax or title. This is in Maine, which gets the PZEV version.
    Seriously?

Heck yeah! That's great. I don't think I had seen one yet under $20k, then again I've been focusing on the Premium and LL Bean models.
    I need buying advice. The dealership doesn't want to put the quotation in writing (so I can't shop the deal, goes their explanation) and the place is two hours away. What, then, can I do to bind the dealership to the deal before putting down a deposit and driving all that distance?
  • happy_potatoeshappy_potatoes Member Posts: 9
    Hi guys,

I'm very excited to make my first car purchase and my boyfriend has been combing this website for some great tips and advice. We wish there was a similar website for all of our purchases and decisions!

We're in the middle of shopping for a financing deal but it appears as though the Subaru dealer's 4.5% is hard to beat...

I'm looking at the 2009 Forester - Premium package with automatic transmission. So far, we've contacted a number of dealers with the CT area and the best we've been quoted has been $22660 but I'm not sure if this includes all the other fees such as the doc fees etc...

Is this a fair price? On Edmunds - it appears as though the invoice price is $22744. Does this include all the fees (doc fees)?

Thanks for the advice - we're noobies to this whole process :)
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Good choice—and congrats!

The price sounds pretty good. My only recommendation is that you may (?) want to consider the LL Bean (soon to renamed "Limited"), which comes with heated seats, outside heated mirrors and a windshield deicer—all real benefits in the winter. The model you're considering offers this as an option, but I don't think that package will be available until sometime in June.

We have these features on our Forester and WRX—and would never own a Subaru without them. Once you've experienced those bun warmers on a frosty winter morning, I'm sure you would agree. :)

If you think it will be too expensive, you might consider the Impreza Outback Sport, as those features are standard—and the car is much cheaper than a Forester. Another benefit of the Outback Sport is that it handles better than a Forester.

FWIW, we have a Forester, an Impreza Outback Sport, and an Impreza WRX—so I'm speaking from experience.

Bob
    Wow - your driveway is saturated with Subarus!

We were initially considering the Outback Sport and the Rav4 but I am leaning towards the Forester because of the size and looks :)

I think we may drop by a dealer again soon to check out the leather seats and extras in the LL Bean...

My boyfriend was trying to convince me to get the Impreza WRX but maybe he can upgrade to that car soon...

Thanks for the tips Bob.

- Lindsey
    The Forester is my wife's, the Outback Sport is my son's, and the WRX is mine.

All those items are grouped together in what's called the "All-Weather Package," or "AWP."

The heated seats I often use on chilly fall and spring days, not just in the winter.

The heated outside mirrors are useful year-round. What they do is "dry" the mirrors in rain and snow, so that they can be used in those conditions. I see it as a safety feature. It's hooked into your rear window defroster, which has a timer. So you would need to turn it back on every 15 minutes or so.

The windshield deicer helps keeping snow and ice from building up on your wipers while driving in a snow storm. It also speeds up cleaning your windshield if your car has been sitting outside in a snow or ice storm overnight.

Good luck! :)

Bob
    Willy,

The fact that they don't want to put it in writing is a possible red flag.

If you still want to go ahead with the deal, YOU can put it in writing just as well as they can. Email them the exact constraints of your deal. Including any options. The price you will be paying, etc. Be very specific!!! Have them respond to you that this is the deal you both are agreeing to. The reply in the affirmative on top of the email that you sent them should be binding enough.

They may just want to get you on site and then pull a bait and switch...or maybe not... ya never know.

You are still fully able to "shop the deal" without having something in writing from them. Let them know you know this. Be confident when dealing with them. Remember, you can always walk away. They are the ones that want YOUR money. BTW, have you shopped the deal already so that you know you are getting the price you want for the car you want???
    2009 Forester
    Automatic transmission
    Premium
    Rear bumper cover
    Side moldings
    Auto dim mirror
    Luggage compartment cover

$24459 OTD
    Where did you guys buy. I just bought a new 09 two weeks ago from Harte. Price sounds good also.

Congrats.
    Congrats—and enjoy your new ride! :)

Bob
  • jeffmcjeffmc Member Posts: 1,742
    Yep, good deal on a great car. Welcome to the Subaru family. :)
    Hey Ateixeira,

What model and options have you ordered?

Also, I really don't know what to do as regards my options: on the one hand I can get them all at invoice installed by the dealer, but on the other I could just get it almost bare and buy them online and have my Brother in Law (who does autobody) put them in aftermarket. I would have to do that over time gradually though...
    I did shop the deal around and the second lowest quote was $1000 or so more. The significant other nixed buying out of area and I didn't want to pay that much more than my lowest quote on the Forester so we settled on a second vehicle (a 2009 Hyundai Sonata) that was aggressively priced locally. The Forry will have to wait until next year when we replace the other car in the family.
  • mfletou1mfletou1 Member Posts: 508
    Not to sound like a crankly old man (though I am cranky, and most assuredly a man), but he's talked about his experience pretty extensively. Perhaps you could just scroll back a little bit and find it?
  • bclementsbclements Member Posts: 4
    After months of researching, deliberating, nearly committing to a vehicle, then delayed (by the stop-saled order), I was finally able to pull the trigger this weekend!

My Car:

2009 Subaru Forester 2.5XT Limited with VDC & Navigation
    Obsidian Black Pearl

Options
    - Auto Dimming Mirror w/compass & homelink
    - Puddle Light Kit
    - Rear Bumper Cover
    - Luggage Compartment Cover
    - Splash Guard Kit
    - Front Bumper Underguard

MSRP: $31,788
    INVOICE: $29,434

DEALER OFFER: $28,745 ($689 below invoice)

I had gotten quotes from 3 different dealers via the internet. One dealer had the same car, same options as above, except that it did not have navigation. Unfortunately they were not as flexible on price and were quoting $28,116, about $600 above invoice. I figured, why not pay the extra $500 then and just get the Navi, even though I fetl I didn't really need it. After using it the last few days, boy am I glad I got it! Its terrific!

All & all I feel I got a pretty good deal. The dealer I dealt with was top-notch, great service, and made the transaction very easy. I didn't really have to haggle much. The offer I got via the internet was already great.

One sidenote, when working with the dealer, he showed me his computer screen as we were working the numbers. He explained that he had a $600 holdback, plus a $200 incentive provided I financed with them, and that he was only making $110. Of course there could be other unknowns he did not divulge to me, but he seemed very honest. Additionally, this appeared to be a relatively new flagship dealership which had just opened recently.

In Summary: Best car-buying experience I have ever had, and I love my Subaru!

-Bill
  • jeffmcjeffmc Member Posts: 1,742
    Congrats, bclements! Will you share with us which dealership this was? Sounds like they deserve some good publicity. :) I know they've got a newer flagship store in Plano, TX, and are/were planning ones in CA & I think GA was the other.
  • bclementsbclements Member Posts: 4
    Thanks jeffmc! The dealership was called "Puente Hills" located in City of Industry, CA (los angeles area, about 25 minutes from disneyland)

Thanks,

-Bill