Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Subaru Forester Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• luckyhuskyluckyhusky Member Posts: 3
    After reading the recommandation from this forum and my friends, I chose West Houston Subaru to buy a forester.
    The dealer there gave me the best price when I quoted (300 under invoice), and finally price for that car is 20700 pre ttl (I add some option like the mats, tint window, auto dimming mirror,etc.) I think the price is great!

It is a good experience dealing with West Houston Subaru because you don't need to haggle a lot.
  • alamocityalamocity Member Posts: 680
    That is a good price, best I've seen in my area is right at invoice for that model.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Congrats to you and to luckyhusky as well. :shades:

Forester sales were up 51% again last month, Mama Mia! Still the hottest crossover on the market. :surprise:
  • packrfanpackrfan Member Posts: 50
    Yeah, saw the stat's from the dealer on their sales performance - their Forester sales up 48% yoy and all other comp's very positive. Incredible that the deals are still as favorable - but not complaining!
    If you consider how far down the market is, they are picking up a lot of market share.

Unfortunately the Tribeca was down quite a bit. It has had some good months this year also, however.
  • mwasnidgemwasnidge Member Posts: 28
    I'm really hoping that they keep the 4.9% financing. I should be taking delivery in the next couple of weeks, and it would be my luck for the incentives to go away.

Anyone have input or know anything not published yet?
    The tendency is for the incentives to improve as the year goes on. I doubt it will change at all until near the end of the model year.
  • logic_choicelogic_choice Member Posts: 5
    Hey,

Just wanted your opinions on this deal.. 09 Forester Limited with puddle lights, aero bars and dimming mirror for 25780 (incl processing fee and temp tags) + tax.. I also get 4.9% interest for 72 months..

Looks like a good deal to me, but just wanted check with you guys..

logic_choice
    The deal sounds fair, but do you really want a 72 month loan? Can you afford 60 months?

With a 60 month loan at least the powertrain warranty is still in effect while you're making payments.
  • forester_flforester_fl Member Posts: 6
    I am planning on pulling trigger to buy a forester 09 premium w/all weather package in FL. But I will move to upstate NY in a couple of weeks. I can register my car in FL right now. I was told that NY requires PZEV, which I doubt the car in FL will meet it or not.

Is that wise to register the car in FL and change it after I move to NY? thanks!

the prices difference would be around 600 bucks.
  • chuckackchuckack Member Posts: 3
    hi all
    looking to pull a trigger this week on an 09 Limited.
    any suggestions on who to work with and who not to work with?
    i was expecting to pay around $25,500
    does that sound right?
  • sgloonsgloon Member Posts: 323
    You should be able to buy a PZEV car in FL (but don't know if it might take a while to get it???) The difference in price should be $200 not $600 for the PZEV.

Some things to consider:

1. As you are moving so soon, you would lose your FL registration fee (is that significant?) When I moved to NY, they gave you something like 30 days to register your car in their state. I don't live there any more, so don't know if the rules have changed... The state I moved from didn't give me any money back...

2. Also to consider would be the sales tax. You would pay the sales tax to the first state you register it in.

3. It is possible??? that you may not have a choice...I am still waiting for the paperwork to be processed so that I can register my Subie which I bought 6/21. They give you 60 days in my state to register it. I guess that is because it takes them so long to process the paperwork. :P

4. The PZEV has 5 more HP and is cleaner! Go for it!!!
    thanks! here I will pay 6% sales tax. the registration fee would be around 200dollars.

As I want to have a family trip with the car when I drive to NY. I really want to buy it in FL and avoid renting a car when I fly to NY. Any advice on the sales tax on a new vehicle in NY? thanks!
    Is it out the door or price before before ttl? A local dealer quotes me about 100 below invoice.
    As you are moving so soon, you could buy it in FL and register it in NY. No worries about your trip, either way. :shades:

I don't know the Sales taxes in NY anymore. Sales taxes vary a bit by location, so you could check with the town you are moving to. Where I am located now, I have to pay city, county and state sales tax. They all want their slice. :P

Off hand, it sounds like FL would be cheaper in general based on your numbers. Call the motor vehicle people in the town you would be moving to and ask them what all the charges would be. And don't forget to ask for the total cost of registering your new car, as there is also excise tax...

One other tidbit I found out recently...in my town, I am taxed on the MSRP of the vehicle, not the price I actually paid. They consider the MSRP the "actual value" of the vehicle. Strange, as what I paid for the vehicle should be what it is worth... :confuse:
    The price I got for a X limited is about 200 dollars below invoice but that is no PZEV engine. there is none PZEV in FL.

I understant that a non PZEV car will not be able to register in NY. Am I right?

I also contacted the dealer near the city I will move to. the sales tax is about 8%. but they do not have any in inventory.

Anyone knows if I buy a non-pzev forester in FL and then move to New York, what will happen? I will receive a ticket or has to replace the emission system to satisfy the requirement.

thanks!
  • capitanocapitano Member Posts: 509
    From looking at

http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/register.htm#california

It appears that if you bought and registered the vehicle out of state then you don't need the PZEV emissions standard. You also do not pay sales tax if the vehicle was purchased out of state and you paid sales tax in that state.

So the factors in your decision become

- sales price in Florida vs New York (+PZEV vs non PZEV)

- sales tax in each location

- cost of registering in Florida and then in New York vs registering PZEV in New York just once.

- convenience of having a vehicle to drive to the new state.
  • tinycadontinycadon Member Posts: 287
    That is not entirely true about the sales tax paid out of state. If your sales tax is 7% in Florida and you move to NY and their sales tax is 8%, they will make you pay the 1% difference on the value of the car, since its brand new, it would probably be 1% of msrp. So either way you're going to pay the highest sales tax, and you'd lose whatever registration fees you pay to Florida for that 1st year.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,046
    ... about registering out of state, just before moving.. If they think you are trying to avoid NYS sales taxes, you may have a problem..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• capitanocapitano Member Posts: 509
    The issue hinges on the residence of the car buyer. If you are a New Yorker and buy your car in Florida you can get the credit for the sales tax paid in Florida since it it unlikely that a dealer in Florida is authorized to collect NY sales tax. However, if you are a resident of Florida at the time of purchase you are exempt from the New York sales tax.

From the NY DMV site: (http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/register.htm#prooftax)

"If you were not a resident of NYS when the vehicle was purchased, use form DTF-803 to receive a non-resident exemption from NYS sales tax."
    Thanks guys for all your response. Actually this vehicle might drive in both NY and FL as my wife and kids will stay in FL whenn I work in NY. And I will keep my FL residence. I do not intend to avoid 8% tax in NY. We contacted the dealers there but they cann not have one in their inventory.

So I just pulled the trigger this afternoon and get the 09 forester, limited version, auto transmission with the following options: rear bumper cover, all weather mats, Auto dim mirror with compass and homelink, and puddle light kit.
    the color is green.

The price is 25000+1500 tax + 198 tag +398 dealer fee. The dealer also give us a full tank gas.

But I donot what service special the dealer usually offer. Any inputs? The premium version sells very well in FL too. The dealer we talked have no inventory. So we go for limited version.

Thanks again for all your help! :)
    Congrats, we also have a Limited.

I think you got a good price and supply is short, so you were lucky, in a way. A few of us had to order a car and wait several weeks.

Limiteds are awesome, don't look back! The perforated leather is nice and you will find a lot of other little extras you may not have seen at first.
  • giomangioman Member Posts: 5
    Just wanted to give some info into my buying experience at the end of July!

I just leased a Dark Gray Forester 2.5x AT with Popular Eq. Group 1A and Tail Pipe covers for $287/month including tax in the Philadelphia PA area. I could not believe how effective the fax attack method got me a great price. MSRP: $22,609, Invoice: $21,223 and my price: $19,999. That's $1224 below invoice. The lease breakdown was as follows:
    36 Months, 15k,
    money factor: .00175(4.2%)
    Residual: 59%

I am thinking this is good deal? Any one else getting this?? The only thing extra I paid was registration.
    The buy-price sounds great. What did you put down?
    Nada.......first payment and registration which amounted to $430.
  • jason119jason119 Member Posts: 5
    It looks like a good deal.
    Without cranking one of the calculators on the deal, with zero down, seems like a great deal. there are several other posts earlier in this thread with opinions on leasing vs. buying but assume the lease path isthe right one for you. Congrat's on this & know you'll enjoy your new sub!
    Hello,
    I am newbie for subaru, here is the what I can get from a local dealer:
    2009 forester 2.5x premium with all weather package, automatic.
    There is some other accessories in the list, but the car won't arrive until tomorrow,so we don't know the details.
    Invoice price + dest= $23831,
    The dealer said OTD is $24000(he didn't answer my question of how much is the TTL) Tax here is 6.85%
    Is this a good deal? Thanks!
    Jason119...

The best way to know if you are getting a good deal would be to solicit multiple offers from various Subaru Dealerships in your area. I sent out 19 faxes for dealerships within a 50 mile radius. I got back 9 offers. I also recommend waiting until the end of the month because the best deals are usually had during this period. I was lucky because the end of the month for July ended on a weekday.

Gioman
    Thank you for your reply. We are still contacting with another dealer who has similar car and ask him if he can beat the price. There is only 5 subaru dealers within 50 miles. We will wait and see.
  • cackercacker Member Posts: 9
    hi all
    does this deal sound good?
    $26,620 invoices cost (incl, splash guard, cargo net, rear bumper gaurd, fuel & fuel surcharge, wheel locks, $685 dest cost)
    residual $15,498.30
    money factor .0016

$2797.89 up front
    - $1310.09 tax, NYS 8.375%
    - $699 acquisition fee and DMV
    - $424 cap cost reduction

$363.87 per month
    36 mo lease, 15K miles per year
    I still can't believe these 59% residuals. Shop around and you'll see competitors' residuals are a lot lower, usually in the low 50s.
  • bears2bears2 Member Posts: 14
    That's not a bad price. Heuberger Motors in Colorado Springs has the best prices I've seen on these cars. I was quoted just over 22K for the same car (everything but tax). They also deliver anywhere in the country. I ended up with an XT for $24,300 and no other dealer would match that price. Good luck.
  • sullivanamsullivanam Member Posts: 5
    I'm just about to purchase a 2.5 x Premium with AWP. The maintence plan was offered, but I am not sure it's worth it. The dealership I am purchasing from is not the closest one to me so I am unlikely to get the car serviced there, but the plan is valid at any Subaru dealer.

Any experiences with the maintenance plan? Is it worth it?
    You could apply for a Chase Subaru credit card instead, then use the rebates to pay for your service. It might end up costing you nothing.
  • p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
    The maintence plan was offered

Is it a maintenace plan or an extended warranty? I know some dealers offer free oil changes etc but those are only good at the selling dealer.

-Frank
  • sullivanamsullivanam Member Posts: 5
    It was a maintenance plan for 2 years/24,000 miles. It's being offered at a discount. They said I could use it at any Subaru dealer. Basically, I guess it I'm paying up front for the routine maintenance
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,046
    I wouldn't do that...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

I would not bother, because your first major service isn't until 30k miles, so that first 24k miles isn't costly either way.

Fitzgerald Subaru offers every other oil change for free, so one every 7500 miles. I'll do the alternate ones myself.
  • doherty333doherty333 Member Posts: 2
    I am shopping for an 09 Subaru Forester XPremium pckg and after reading this message I have asked for prices at Heuberger in CS. They seem pretty good. What was your experience buying there? You know, first time internet buyer jitters.
  • doherty333doherty333 Member Posts: 2
    How much did the delivery cost?
  • p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
    Fitzgerald Subaru offers every other oil change for free, so one every 7500 miles

Actually, they're offering every oil change for free since the maintenance schedule in the Owner's Manual specifies one every 7500 miles. You've just made a personal decision to change it twice as often :P

-Frank
    My experience has been great so far. They didn't have the XT in the color I wanted (dark gray metallic) so they got one from another dealer (one that previously would not match Heuberger's price!) on the same day. I pick it up on Friday so I will let you know how it goes. I'm pretty confident...Heuberger is one of the top Subaru dealers in the country in terms of units sold. They didn't call me repeatedly or try any hard sell techniques on me like so many others...probably because they are a volume dealer and don't have to resort to low life tactics. One dealer who "guarantees" they will beat any deal in Colorado (Mike Shaw) refused to match Heuberger's price. They are also doing 4.9% financing on the car. Another positive is that they quote prices that include everything except tax.
    I got my car at Heuberger. It was delivered at no cost above the quoted price. I thought things would go pretty smooth, but they didn't. Short story, 8 weeks later, I still don't have all the keys for my car. It has been a very painful ordeal and I have wasted a lot of time and energy getting what was supposed to have come with my car originally.

The issue: when they delivered the car, they did not deliver all the keys & fobs and one of the tools from the back was missing. They would not have delivered it with the owners manual if I hadn't 've driven down to check out the car before I purchased it, and noticed that it was not in the glove box...so I asked about it. They also did not clean it before delivering it (grease on the upholstery). It had a dirty rag in the console box when they delivered it.

To make a very long story and tedious ordeal short... I contacted them right away to let them know things were missing. A week later, I got an email saying things were ordered. Suffice it to say, they never ordered anything. I think because the keys cost $100 each to replace. DO NOT LOSE YOUR KEYS!!! It'll cost you $150. A far cry from the $3 version. :P

They first sent up a dirty old tool and a key fob, both from a previous years model and not even close to the ones that were missing. They also sent up some cleaner, so I could clean the car myself, as there was grease on the upholstery. The cleaner solution was fine, as I wasn't going to go down there to have them detail it. Major disappointment that they didn't deliver my brand new car detailed.

There has been a lot of emailing and telephone calls over the last 8 weeks to try to get my stuff, that was suppose to come with my car. After I got the comptroller involved, I received the 4 missing items. However, after getting the keys reprogrammed, I found that one of the keys sent up was not laser cut to fit my car...so I need yet another key and I have to go yet again to my local dealer to get the keys programmed. (Which costs $50 BTW, just for the programming, so DO NOT lose your keys.)

I was concerned that after all this hassle, they would not pay the $100 that I was being charged for programming...as I have to go back and get this all reprogrammed again after I get the right laser cut key. So, seeing that I was exasperated with the ordeal just to get my keys...the cashier at Dellenbach (my local dealer) called over the owner. He heard what was going on and is taking care of it so I will have no out of pocket. That was such a relief, and he will be dealing with Heuberger in my stead. Thanks goodness!!! It has been an ordeal just to get the items which were suppose to come with my car originally...hopefully by the beginning of next week...or into week 9, I will have all my keys & fobs and working.

Things would have gone smoothly, I believe, if the car had not been transferred from another dealership. However, that is no excuse for the total waste of time and energy I have had to spend on this over the past 8 weeks...

I would not recommend my salesperson. And the internet manager, when I called him to fix the issues actually hung up on me. When I got the comptroller(she was great) involved...that's when things started to happen (I should have done that a LOT sooner). Yet,to date the issue is yet to be completely resolved.
    Wow...what a nightmare. Thanks for the heads up about Heuberger. When I go to pick up the car later this week, I will check to make sure everything is included and the car is detailed. I put down a $500 deposit for Heuberger to secure the car from another dealer...so I imagine there is little incentive for them to sweat the small stuff (if I walk away it's $500 profit!). Could be interesting. Hope your ordeal is over soon. Thanks again!
    Cheers!

If you walk away, you get your $500 back! They don't get to keep it. The deposit is just to "hold" the vehicle. They had asked me to pay $1000 deposit. Curious the difference...

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.
    Bears2,

I forgot to mention that they did try to add on a dealer fee for $389 (after they had given me my quote.) After I didn't contact them for a week, they wrote and said they would delete that charge. I think that was just my salesman trying to make extra $$. So watch for that as well...
    Sad that dealers still pad pricing with surprises like that.

What if we told them we had a "$389 customer fee" that they had to pay to earn our business after we shook on the deal? :D
  • mleomleo Member Posts: 10
    I have a lease that will end in NOV but I am shopping now so I don't have to rush on a making the right deal. I want to have enough time to negotiate and get multiple offers so I don't go in needing a car tomorrow.

A few questions -

How long is it taking to get a new Forester? I would like to order the exact color/options I want.

Can I go to a dealer now and make a good deal knowing that I won't be finalizing my deal until Nov.? Could I make a deal, go in and order/lock in, put down a deposit and wait?

will going in at the end of the month still be an advantage with the way I want to go about it, or does it not matter?

Thanks!
    My order took 5 or 6 weeks, but now people are being told it's more like 10 or 12.

Here was the cool part, though - my dealer said it any incentives arrived before delivery, then I would get them.

That didn't happen for me, but for you, that's months away, and while unlikely, it would be nice...