Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Subaru Forester Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• fsrphfsrph Member Posts: 3
    Thanks everyone for the help. I definetly want the Premium package with a manual transmission. I don't need many more options as a lot of features are standard or in the Premium package. I live in Northeastern Pennsylvania. I only asked about Subaru's rebate history because with my luck I'd buy one then in Nov or December there will be rebates.

I'm not sure if I should wait or not because I plan on trading a 2003 Nissan 350Z and will receive more for it now compared to trading it in the middle of winter. Thanks.

Frank
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    The bargain right now is the Tribeca - I saw an 08 cloth 5 pass for $23.6k, unimaginable a year ago. This was the last one fitzmall had left so it may be gone now.

Gas prices are dropping, so if fuel economy is not a priority that's quite a steal.

That was a $29,000 vehicle 2 years ago.
  • connieyleeconnieylee Member Posts: 29
    Anyone here from NJ looking to buy a car sometime soon? I was thinking it would be a great idea to get some people together to buy a car from the same dealer/salesman. There's nothing like walking in and saying "How'd you'd like to sell 4 cars today" to get a nice discount... Let me know if you're interested! :shades:
  • cyrus1000cyrus1000 Member Posts: 12
    Purchased Forester 2.5X Limited on 10/12/08 with the following options:

Touch-Screen GPS Navigation
    Sirius Satellite Radio (works nicely with the navigation)
    Bluetooth
    Splash Guard
    Rear Pumper Cover
    Auto Dimming Mirror with Compass and Homelink
    Puddle Light Kit
    Luggage Compartment Cover
    Aero Crossbars
    PZEV Certified (California)

MSRP: $30, 544
    Invoice: $28,244
    Paid: $27,549 before taxes and fees

Out the door with California tax and fees = $30K even.

I think the fact that I had no trade-in and paid cash helped the deal. Seemed like a fair deal, but I didn't do a lot of shopping around, so I'm not sure. I just went to a reputable dealer. I was debating whether I should wait for a few more weeks for possible rebates, worsening economy, and dealers being more motivated to unload inventory towards the end of the year. But, I just couldn’t wait! Happy shopping to those of you still shopping for one.
  • packrfanpackrfan Member Posts: 50
    I'd be fascinated to see how this works out! Please keep us all advised and best of luck - go get 'em!
    Thanks so much! I got the idea from my doctor who told me he told his salesman he would buy two cars if he'd take $1000 off each. Then he sold one immediately to a friend. I don't have the capacity to purchase two cars with cash, but it would be pretty cool to bring a mini army with me to the dealer and do the sneak attack!
    Hope someone can help me with pricing on a 2009 2.5x Limited PZEV (I'm in NJ) - this is my first time purchasing a car and calculations are making my brain mush.

All calculations below don't include any dealer fees:
    Consumer reports reports invoice:
    $24,330 + $665 destination + $200 PZEV = $25,195
    Then they state holdback = $780, so dealer cost is $25,195 - $780 HB = $24,415

Now, the dealer gave me "supposedly" $200 below invoice pricing at $25,615
    He even faxed me the "factory invoice" which states this price.

Am I to believe Consumer Reports and this supposed factory invoice pricing includes a huge chunk of holdback? If I believe Consumer Reports, then if I offered $24,800 base it would give the dealer a $385 profit (i.e. Dealer Cost $24,415 + $385 HB= $24,800).

HELP!!!!! :sick:
    Fitzmall has Subarus in PA? Where? I thought they only sold Subarus in MD?
  • slazengerslazenger Member Posts: 99
    Hi,

The invoice for PZEV Forester Limited is $25231 (24566+665). The dealer invoice may be different from the manufacturer invoice as it may include advertising fee for the region.

Fitzmall.com is selling the same car with popular equipment Grp B (puddle lights + auto dimming mirror/homelink) for $24995. This is $565 below the manufacturer invoice (25231+329=25560).

Here is my suggestion:

1. Go to your dealer web site and pick a car you like from their inventory so that you get the exact list of options on the car.

2. Calculate the price you want to pay. In your case, shoot for $500 below invoice + invoice for options ($25231+invoice on all options).

3. Contact the dealer by email and let them know the exact car you are interested in and the price you are willing to pay. I suggesting communicating by email as you will have all the numbers in writing. Once you negotiate the car price, ask the dealer to email you "out the door" price which includes car price + dest + TTL + documentation fees.

If you are happy with the car price and documentation fees, purchase the car. I wouldn't mind paying extra $200-250 from the target price, if the dealer is courteous and pleasant to deal with.

Good luck!
  • tester1tester1 Member Posts: 33
    May I ask where you bought the car from in Cal? and which dealer?
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A reporter is interested in talking with owners of a 2009 Subaru Forester. If you are interested in commenting on your experience, please reply to jwahl@edmunds.com no later than Monday, November 3, 2008 and include your city and state of residence, the model year of your vehicle and the age of your child/ren.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• gooch5gooch5 Member Posts: 14
    New York
    $382/mo
    $1224 total out of pocket

Including all weather mats, cargo tray, and dimming rear mirror.
  • gooch5gooch5 Member Posts: 14
    This is a 15k/ 36 month lease.
    Hi!

I was shocked when a NJ dealer emailed me with this first offer of $25,000 for a sage green 2.5X Limited PZEV with factory-installed options:
    AUTO DIM MIRROR/COMPASS W/HOMELINK
    BODY SIDE MOLDING KIT
    SPLASH GUARD KIT

Now, I actually only wanted remote starter, all weather mats, and rear bumper cover, so he quoted me the retail price of those, not invoice.

I will ask if I can have those options at invoice, but do you think I'm pushing my luck if I do a little haggling? Part of me feels weird taking his first offer, and part of me feels guilty since I know this is a very good deal already, as he basically quoted me $200 below invoice without even considering the factory-installed options.

Advice? :shades:

Thanks!
    Connie
  • kkrtrekkkrtrek Member Posts: 51
    I am still at the stage of being a Forester-wanna-be owner, so take my suggestions with a grain of salt. If I could get a Forester Limited tomorrow at the price you quoted with the options I wanted (not sure, but probably bumper cover and weather mats), I would take it. I am not someone who will try to haggle and haggle to get the lowest possible price, but I still want a very good deal. What I would do (and this is not meant as advice, but to tell you what I would do) is get the invoice price of the options you want, add them up, round down to the nearest hundred and offer something around that. An alternative, of course, is just to tell the dealer to throw in the options you want and you'll sign tomorrow. That seems like a pretty good course of action, too, and probably also makes sense. Either way, I think you are doing well. If the dealer is courteous and professional, all the more reason to give them your business. I would rather pay a bit more and deal with a professional dealership than save $150 and deal with %$&**&#@s. Also, be sure everything is included in that price--except TT&L.

Just my $.02. Let us know how it turns out for you. I'll use your experience in my negotiating.
  • sgloonsgloon Member Posts: 323
    Connie,

Haggle away and get the vehicle you want. It will be worth it.

You can always go back to his first offer as fall back, but given the economy, he may just throw in those other items you want. Who knows...

Good Luck! :shades:
    Thanks - very good advice. I'll try the "throw in these 3 options" method as that sounds like I'm robbing them less, even though it turns out to be about the same as asking for $500 off.

In what state are you registering your Forester?
  • mleomleo Member Posts: 10
    "I make that out to be $250 under invoice which is a pretty good price. If you're in eastern PA, check the inventory at Fitzmall.com. They're currently selling Forester X Premiums for between $350 and $650 below invoice (depending on configuration)."

Hey thanks Frank - that was a Fitzmall quote I was referring to. We are driving down to Fitz to pick it up this week.
  • catch822catch822 Member Posts: 9
    I'm looking at a 2008 Forester X, automatic, with around 9,000 miles. No extra bells and whistles. The car looks and drives like it's in great condition. It's a Certified Pre-Owned vehicle, and the dealership says it was their loaner car. The price is $18,000 (down from $19,995, which is what the dealership was asking for, per the sticker).

Should I be concerned about it having been a loaner car, even if it's Certified Pre-Owned?

Thanks in advance for your help. I'm a bit of a newbie when it comes to buying a used car.
  • kaiserchieffankaiserchieffan Member Posts: 13
    According to Edmunds TMV it would appear to be a good deaI.

That being said, and perhaps I'm biased as a 2009 Forester owner, but if you can afford it I would look at a 2009. Sticker price on a 2.5X Auto w/o extras is $21,995 and invoice is $20,000. Potentially $2000 more than you planned but w/o 9,000 miles that you didn't put on.

At least that's my 2 cents.
    Don't worry about buying used: Buy new. I'm with kaiserchieffan--even more so. For maybe $2500 more you can get a brand new 2009 X automatic. If you can't swing that, you should have no trouble getting the manual well under $20,000. Much better than a 2008 with 9000 miles on it. Good luck.
  • catch822catch822 Member Posts: 9
    I test-drove the 2009, and I liked it very much, but the visibility didn't seem as good as it was in the 2008. I'll take a second look at it, because I would feel more comfortable buying new than used. Thank you both!
  • p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
    The Forester lost a little bit of visibility with the 09 redesign but it's still the best in class :)
  • forrest39forrest39 Member Posts: 4
    We test drove the turbo forester and liked it better than all others we were comparing. (CRV, Santa Fe, Rav, Tiguan). We kept coming back to the CRV but when we floored it... just too anemic.

The Forester fit the bill the best but they couldn't find what we wanted in stock. Fortunately, one is on the boat that we want and will be here in a month, so we made a deal.

Forester XT Limited w/nav
    Steel silver
    a few packages that I couldn't find online, but the gist of it is...
    Bluetooth
    iPod control interface
    iPod tray
    subwoofer
    cargo cover
    cargo tray
    bumper cover

Price & destination: 29,195

I'll post again with the final figures when we pick it up.
    Cheers!
    -Forrest
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Congrats, then!

You should change your name to just one R. ;)
  • dj_davedj_dave Member Posts: 16
    Subaru.com is still showing the old incentives for the 2009s (4.9% financing) which expired on 3 November. Is it likely they will roll out new incentives this month, or go for a while without any? Does anyone know what they've done in the past around this time of year?
  • capitanocapitano Member Posts: 509
    Those incentives tend to roll over quite a bit. It's been 4.9% since at least July when I started looking at the Forester.
    It had mats, all weather mats, the autodimming mirror, rear bumper cover and the luggage compartment cover. Stickered at $29,565. They let it go for $26,180 which was less than the $26,782 they show on their site for the identical model. I never got a straight answer about the price difference, but I wasn't going to push it. I suspect that it may be the difference between pick up at the dealer and delivery to you.

The experience was very smooth. They picked me up at the airport. We drove the car, did the paperwork and then waited for the F&I guy. He was friendly and didn't push terribly hard on the mop&glo products. I'd buy from them again.

The worst part of the whole experience was the choppy ride on the puddle jumper into Colorado Springs. I was pretty queasy when I got off that plane.
    My six month membership in IMBA will allow me to purchase a Forester in January using the VIP Program. Yet it seems as though people are buying for prices that are as good as or better than the VIP pricing. I'd like to know anyone's best estimate of the VIP Program price, relative to invoice, for example. I am likely interested in an X-Limited (not sure of options), so the dealer invoice is $25,261, including destination. What might the VIP price be? For anyone who wants to chime in, what kind of negotiated price did you get that might compare to VIP pricing?

Thanks all.
  • pokeyonepokeyone Member Posts: 1
    Hi all,

I've been a lurker for a couple of months gathering info and I appreciate all the posts!

This week I will be taking possession of the '09 Forester to replace my '97 GT Limited which served me well.

Steel Silver

Moonroof Air Deflector
    Subwoofer
    Ash Tray

25K + t/t

Could have had the same with Utility Pkg for 25.6K but personally I don't care for the look with the wheel arch molding.

Anyone in SE PA or N Delaware should consider Rafferty Subaru in Newtown Square PA...customer oriented folks who found me the configuration I wanted at, what I think is, a fair price.
  • lakeshorelakeshore Member Posts: 2
    Hi All,

I am a lurker for a while also. Wondering any folks here would recommend Subaru dealers at Chicago area? :confuse:
    Checked this thread but didn't find a decisive recommendation.

Thanks a lot.
  • golfnffgolfnff Member Posts: 7
    Ok, I went to bat for you. I have been working him over a bit. I have a 2009 Forester 2.5XT silver steel metallic w/gray leather interior. pw/pl/pm/ac/cc,ab/sab/17 in aly whl.tnt glass/sun rf/vdc,pwr seat/ltr, prem audio/AWP/fl,roof splr. Popular Equipment 1A: luggage compartment cover, cargo tray, rear bumper cover and splash guard kit.

MSRP: $ 29,311.00.
    36 months/12 k miles
    $1000.00 down
    $423.77/month
  • golfnffgolfnff Member Posts: 7
    Just put a deposit on a 2009 Forester 2.5XT w/popular equipment 1A
    Worked out a lease deal as follows
    36 mo/12k miles
    1000.00 down (included first month payment, bank fee, title, license)
    $412.21/month

Figures were as follows: paid approx 300.00 over dealer invoice for vehicle
    Residual- 60%
    Money Factor- .00175
    Happy with the deal and excited to get the car!
    Hey congratulations! Sounds like you had a great buying experience.

"didn't push terribly hard on the mop&glo products"

Love that description :D

-Frank
    "'09 Forester to replace my '97 GT Limited"

Wow! That's going to be a night-&-day difference :shades:

Here's wishing you another 12 years of happy Subaru ownership!

-Frank
  • kaiserchieffankaiserchieffan Member Posts: 13
    I have very limited experience with a couple of dealerships in Libertyville, but if you're interested in doing a little traveling I highly recommend Don Jacobs Subaru in Milwaukee. They honored an internet quote from another dealer, never did the full court press to make me buy (probably cuz they knew I was getting a Forester from somebody), and they offer free oil changes for life.

Worth driving 80 miles or so....maybe, maybe not. But I say when you know exactly what you want start requesting internet quotes from far and wide.
  • lily4lily4 Member Posts: 4
    Hi, I will buy a 2009 forester from Heuberger, colorado. Anyone has experience with them? I live in SLC, utah. So they will ship the car to me. Do they pay TTL and registration fee if you buy from other states? In Salt Lake, both fees are included in final price, which means you go to DMV and buy plate and don't need to pay any other fee there. I asked them if this final fee includes TTL and registration fee, they don't give me an answer. Thanks!
    I bought from Heuberger as an out-of-state customer. They processed the paperwork for my state and charged me the sales tax required for my area. I haven't gotten anything from the local DMV yet.

I am not terribly concerned about the tag cost and title fee since those are typically small potatoes. If Heuberger screwed it up somehow and I have to pay $50 to the local DMV that's OK. My main concern was getting the sales tax right since that is thousands of dollars. I checked with my local DMV before I went to Colorado and verified the right % with the F&I when I got to Heuberger.
    They do charge the right sale tax for me. There is a separate file showed the right tax rate. But TTL and title fee is more than $200 here. If it is $50, I will pay it.
    Hi capitano, did they show TTL fee in the document you signed? When you went to your local DMV, did they charge you some fee except plate fee? Thanks!
  • lakeshorelakeshore Member Posts: 2
    Thanks. Will check it out. We live in downtown, maybe a little far, but it won't hurt to ask.
  • KingAJKingAJ Member Posts: 1
    Had a great experience at the Lou Fusz Subaru in St. Peters, MO. Those guys were awesome. I highly recommend going there. They helped me purchase a 09 Forester X Premium w/ All-weather package 4spd auto. The dealer also added:

-Auto dimming mirror/compass
    -Cargo tray
    -All weather floor mats
    -Fog lamp kit
    -Rear bumper cover
    -Splash guard kit

Sticker price: $25.501
    Invoice: $23,750
    Purchase price: $23,441

The price includes destination charge.$107.00 in other fees were added too, but I still ended up under the maximum amount I was willing to pay. I also qualified for the 4.9% APR.
    I just completed the registration this morning. The county treasurer got the documents on Friday. I wasn't terribly concerned about all the fees. My main concern was the sales tax. I hadn't registered a vehicle here before, but I knew the fee wasn't much as they charge property tax. I wasn't worried about that either as I get a military exemption for that.

Anyway, Heuberger charged me the correct sales tax for my county. They were going to charge me more, but they did as I instructed and just had me initial where the rate was on one of their forms. They charged me a TTL fee of $17.20 which turned out to be wrong. The registration was $18 and title was $10 so they should have charged $18. The other mistake was that they didn't include their $389 doc fee as part of the taxable amount so they undercharged me on sales tax. That's not their fault though. When it was all said and done I had to pay $12 to get my plate this morning.

Heuberger aren't experts on every state's rules and fees. If you research everything up front you can tell them what things to add to the contract so you can get as close as possible and get as much of it rolled into the loan as you want.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A reporter from a large business magazine would like to speak with consumers who downsized from an SUV to a crossover or minivan to get better fuel economy. If you downsized for better fuel economy, please respond to ctalati@edmunds.com with your daytime contact information no later than Monday, November 24th.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• lickwidlickwid Member Posts: 2
    So I've decided to go with the 2.5x Premium + All weather package in Manual. This is what I've been quoted:

2009 Subaru Forester 2.5X Premium w/ All Weather Package Manual:
    MSRP $23,760
    E-Price $21,720

2009 Subaru Forester 2.5X Premium + AWP Manual + luggage cover, cargo tray, bumper cover, splash guards, and tailpipe covers:
    MSRP $24,309
    E-Price $21,994

Or with this option, $100 more for Aero cross bars as well.

All this includes destination costs as well. Are these a pretty good deal or should I try to negotiate some more. Also, financing deals are pretty important to me, but doesn't look like Subaru has anything better than 4.9% right now. Anyone here about better ones lately? Thank you.
  • fastLaynefastLayne Member Posts: 1
    Getting ready to purchase automatic 2009 Forester Premium with All-Weather Package for $23918 that includes:

splash guards
    luggage carrier
    rear cargo net
    bumper protector
    cargo tray

Dealership also says Subaru offers vehicle maintenance program and says it covers all service including oil changes up to 36000 miles for $995.

They also mentioned a tire and rim 5-year protection for $399.

I am curious if I am getting good deal and if the service and tire protection is worth the money. Thanks
  • crv16crv16 Member Posts: 205
    2009 Subaru Forester 2.5X Premium w/ All Weather Package Manual:
    MSRP $23,760
    E-Price $21,720

I bought one just like this, except with Ipod interface added on, for 21,500 OTD. It seems you should be able to grind another 300-500 off
  • lickwidlickwid Member Posts: 2
    2008 Subaru Forester Sports XT Sport Utility
    15K Miles
    Standard features as far as I can tell.
    $22,875
  • RLM_NJRLM_NJ Member Posts: 1
    kkrtrek---did you ever figure out an answer to this question?

I am considering buying an 09 Forester Limited and I have the ability to get a VIP program discount, but from reading this board it seems like people may be able to beat that program discount through getting dealers to give lowest offer online......

As far as I know the VIP price is 2% below dealer cost (for both car & accessories) but I am unsure how that compares to what you'd be able to do if you negotiate online.

I'm considering trying both options, but I part of me doesnt want to go through the trouble of negotiating with dealers online...

The other question around the VIP program for me is whether to bring that up before or after I negotiate trade-in value and define available financing terms..... I'm just worried the dealer will short-cut my tradein to make their money if they know they won't make it on the car price..... I'm not planning to buy until mid-December so if you buy before then please let me know how it goes !! :)
  • MplsmanMplsman Member Posts: 11
    2.5 X Premium, Auto, All-Weather Package, Utility Package (aero cross bars, wheel arch moldings, rear bumper cover and splash guards), Auto Dimming compass mirror with Homelink, All Weather floor mats--

$23,899

I figure this to be approx. $60 over invoice. Seems like a decent internet quote. Any advice on where to go from here? Is this a quote I should take to other dealers? I'm going to need a really good purchase price to get to the kind of lease payment I need.

Thanks much, appreciate all the great feedback and info here.