Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Subaru Forester Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Compare to fitzmall.com, they're in the DC area.

-juice
  • p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
    Corey- Invoice is good. Just make sure that the dealer doesn't try a stick you with any dealer prep or document fees.

-Frank P.
  • coreypghcoreypgh Member Posts: 3
    I'm am about to pull the trigger on a XS premium for 23,685, which I believe is dealer invoice with options (security, dimming mirror...). Does anyone have any comments or advice? Is this about the best price that is out there now or no? Thanks.
  • coreypghcoreypgh Member Posts: 3
    Thanks Frank. We're actually got $200 under & 1.9%, so I feel pretty good. We're so happy we are going to spring for the bike rack (at cost!).
  • a1bogarda1bogard Member Posts: 13
    coreypgh, it depends on the options you're getting, and if it's MT or AT. I got an '04 XS PP MT with auto-dimming mirror/compass, sec. sys., and cargo bin for $22950 at the end of Sept., and I'm in an area with few Subaru dealers.

If you are getting AT then that sounds about right to me.
  • pgillpgill Member Posts: 84
    Does anyone know the definitive dealer invoice for 2004 XT AT (no PP) in Northeast? Edmunds, CarsDirect, and MSN Auto all seem to have different numbers.
  • mnfmnf Member Posts: 405
    After 3 quotes from the internet departments of the dealers the best one so far is $23,984 with options on a xs pp w/leather Auto. . This is $500.00 below invoice and from the post's that i have seen looks like a good price.
    Sounds like a good deal. Keep an eye on tacked on fees, but go for it.

-juice
  • raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    Current inventory is $24,342 including the port fee and gas, no additional options.

Cars delivered in January will show a price increase.
  • pgillpgill Member Posts: 84
    Thanks for the information. What is the port fee and how much is that? Also, what was the price increase in January?
    The port fee is $25 and gas is $15. Looks like around $170 increase, I'm not sure. You can still find cars that arrived in December so no biggie.
  • amtbooksamtbooks Member Posts: 11
    I had been to one subaru dealer today, they are now having a dozen of so-called "environmental fallout" Forester for sale. Environmental fallout means when cars were shipped to US, there were some sulfur(??) leaked from chimney that affect the paint of the whole shipment. Subaru put the whole lot on sale as used vehicle and void the paint warranty for these vehicle, they said I could purchase the paint warranty from them. The stick price is $500 below invoice.

My question is: will these environmental fallout have long-term effects on these vehicle? What is the appropriate price for them? $500 below invoice seems not a good deal.
    It does, but not when there is an incentive on all cars. You should get that incentive also.

fitzmall.com is selling new Foresters for $500-800 under invoice, undamaged. I'd shop around.

-juice
    There is no warranty that Subaru will honor on paint-damaged vehicles so proceed with caution. Remember Rusty Jones?

$500 below invoice on one of these cars is a rip-off, it should be closer to $3000 below.
    After shopping for 3 months i purchased a 2004 Forester XS Prem / PKG with leather for $500.00 under invoice plus 1.9% fin. The out of the area dealers (300 miles)were all ready to make the deal but local were not until i explained that i was going to buy weather it was them or not. Very happy from this X two car Honda owner.I have been reading this form since mid December and it has been great help thanks....M.F.
  • zmanzman Member Posts: 200
    Matt: Congratulations and welcome aboard. You hit the nail on the head: these Subie boards are great--lots of activity, information, and an occasional spat. Good reading (and happy driving).

Peter: FWIW, I tend to go by the prices listed online by VanBortel Subaru in Victor, NY (up near Rochester) to get a sense of what the best "going rate" is in the Northeast. Fitzmall (D.C. area) is generally lower, but a bit more spotty (in one location they have a Forester X MT w/5 minor options for 19,097 and in another of their dealerships the same basic vehicle with no options for 19,323).

Zman
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    You know, that two tone affect with the lower cladding on my Sube does have a spat look to it.

Steve, Host
  • zmanzman Member Posts: 200
    LOL. Nice link, too. Actually, the mudflaps on the monotones kinda fit the bill too.

Zman
    Congrats Matt! Join the Subaru Crew threads under Owners Clubs, you'll love it.

-juice
  • subewannabesubewannabe Member Posts: 403
    While I sit on the fence trying to decide between a Forester XT, 05 Legacy Gt or Outback XT, my local Subaru dealer comes up with a '04 Forester XT PP that they say was driven by the regional SoA rep. From the build date, it looks like it must have been one of the first FXT's to hit these shores and the guy put over 18,000 miles on it in 10 months! Except for some minor bug and gravel dings in the paint on the front, it appears to be in good shape......obviously, you need a lot of highway miles to add them up so quickly!
      Given that the new ones on the lot can be had for as much as $500 below invoice with 1.9% financing for 60 months from Subaru and this one has half of the factory BTB warranty gone already (in 10 months), Im thinking the dealer should be willing to let go of this car for under $18,750. If so, I would be able to use some of my savings for a factory extended warranty and still come out over $8K less than I would spend on an 05 Legacy GT LTD. Any thoughts on my pricing? Too high? Too low?

Mark
    I think that's about right.

Let my apply my usual rule of thumb, you lose 10% driving off the lot, 10% more every year after that. So let's say factoring in the miles, we subtract 25% of the original value.

The PPs sell for at least $25k now, so that puts the value at ... voila, $18,750.

Plus options. Realistically I think the dealer might try to get $20k for it.

-juice
    Juice, You did the exact same math I did. The car doesn't have any options on it, not even the auto-dimming mirror/compass. The dealer was willing to let me take it for a few days to test drive it but drug their feet about pulling the service records up on the computer ...which made me a little leery if it was supposedly the regional SoA rep's car.
      Bottom line, I told them I did not want to waste their time or mine haggling, especially since it was a Silver XT PP , my second-to-last color preference, after black...I wouldnt go above $18,750 and he wouldnt come below $20,000.
    Back to The Fence, waiting on your report from Vegas!
         BTW, the dealer confirmed he would go $500 below invoice on any new FXT in stock, plus customer cash back or special financing . They also have some really good deals on 04 LL Beans, but once the wife drove the Forester XT, there's no going back....We wants da' turbo!

Mark
    I'd buy new...you could price a 5 speed at about $22.8k, that's too close.

Then again the '04 PP has automatic and that moonroof.

-juice
  • colbstercolbster Member Posts: 7
    Well I did all my research, and after little bit of back and forth email haggling, I got the dealer to give me a price of $21045 on an XS,MT, with an MSRP of $23865 (with dest). Not too shabby, right? Ok, I show up at the dealer, and say, "Here's my trade, now give me a good price for that" Of course I am expecting the low ball worse price. No problem. Plenty of room to negotiate. Mind you, I'm not trading a run-of-the-mill Camry or Taurus. I'm trading something that is basically a desirable vehicle. My trade was a 2001 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab, immaculate, custom cap, full power, ac. New BFG's, etc. They said to me "We can't sell that truck. We'll have to wholesale it. I'm going to have to call around" They would NOT even give me a price??? What is up with that. I said "You are going to wholesale this vehicle???? Not even keep it on your lot???" They said "If you were looking to buy a truck like that, why would you come to a Subaru dealer??" This makes perfect sense, yet no sense. This is the busines they are in. I quickly spotted a 99-00 Chevy Blazer in puke gold, and asked what the deal was with that. "Well, blah, blah, blah." Now, NADA Trade-in is 15900 on my truck. Kelly is 13652 on my truck. I wasn't looking for a lot, maybe 14500. Which, when a truck like mine's dealer asking price is almost $19000 (same sources) leaves them room to make a lot of profit. I haven't heard back from them with a price yet....I'm not holding my breath.
    I've seen lots in my area that won't take anything more than 2-3 years old, so your truck would be borderline.

Wholesale will be a low ball anyway. At least go to a CarMax and compare what they'll give you for it.

New car sales aren't really profitable, even with a $400 or so holdback they have expenses, and prolly lose money. They can't also absord the cost of a truck they may not be able to sell.

The gold truck is sitting there unsold, I don't think that changes anything. It may even be why they don't want a 2nd truck.

Just playing devil's advocate. The Mazda dealer where we bought our 626 would not take our Mitsubishi Mirage, either. It was only 4-5 years old IIRC.

Happy ending - we sold it privately for $2250. The dealer had hinted he'd give us $500 wholesale, so we got 450% of what they offered.

-juice
  • stuhallstuhall Member Posts: 59
    If they won't take the trade in at a reasonable price then I'd talk to another dealer. Lay out your deal and your expected trade in. Let them make the call. At least then you've looked at more than one source. I ended up selling my old car myself and it was a huge hassle. If there is more than one Subaru dealer in your area see if they'll take the deal on your terms. Don't expect top dollar, but selling a car yourself is a time consuming process.
    I had the same experience when trading mine in they wanted to give $2500-$3000 less for a 2000 Accord in mint condition I am not sure what state you are in but where I am at there is a sales tax and so it would help me if I could trade it in for the tax difference You can do a little thing called a PASS THROUGH this is something that the dealers dont tell you about. What it is is you get a buyer for your car/truck and take him with you to the dealer and then you sell the car/truck to the dealer and then they sell it to your buyer for the price that you and the privet party have agreed on. They charge you a fee of $3000$500 to do all the paper work. It can save you a fair amount $600-$1000 on taxes you may want to slip the buyer a $50.00 to go along . This of course is only good if you are in a tax state but if not maybe it can help someone out there... Good Luck... Matt
    thats $300-$500 OOPS
    First voice message left, $13500 offer for my truck. No way I could do that. I was busy that night, never called back. Next morning at work, another offer, slighly higher. Then lo an behold they come in at $14500. This is about $500 less than I would have liked to have (but probably never would have) gotten. So... I said okey-dokey. To reiterate... $21000 for an 04 Forester XS, Manual. Nothing else in it. Pacifica Blue. $14500 for my trade. 1.9% from my own bank. Oh, the sales tax thing. Yep they do that in my state, but if a "commercial vehicle is involved in the transaction" you get no tax credit. None. So trading in a pickup for car? No tax credit. A car for a pickup? No tax credit. A pickup for a pickup?No tax credit. Also the Subaru dealer told me the Baja is according to the state tax office, a "Commercial vehicle" (as the brat was many years ago). I found this totally off the wall. If it's got an open box, it's a commercial vehicle. If they make an exception, they could end up opening pandora's box and lose a lot of tax revenue. When I bought my pickup, I contemplated trading in a Jeep Wrangler Sahara. I refused to take the dealer hit, ended up selling it myself. I sat on that thing for 1 year. By the time I lowered the price down to where it sold ($13000), considering all the payments I was making, I would have been better off taking the hit. Plus I had to list it in 3 or 4 places, listed it on ebay, etc, etc, about $150 worth of advertising.
    Sounds like you did pretty good. So about the tax credit, are you saying that you had to pay tax on the entire $21k and if so at what rate?

-Frank P.
    It really is a revenue generator for the state, nothing more. A commercial vehicle should be just that, a commercial vehicle - not a private passenger vehicle used for work, pleasure, school, etc. I wish someone with more money than me would file a suit against the state. But for now, I figure if they changed the rules and say, let a Baja be registered same as a private passenger vehicle, then what about a Ford Sport-Trac. If a Ford Sport-Trac, what about Toyota Double-Cab. Then what about a Toyota regular cab. How about a full size Chevy? So you see they are very much on top of this. But with all of the weird vehicles coming out (like the GMC XUV) they may find it more and more difficult to do this. Their logic is flawed, they have no reason to classify vehicles in such a way, except they would lose tax dollars on trade ins. There are an awful lot of trucks out there. Oh, by the way, Ford Excursion? Private Passenger Vehicle.
    Okay so what state are we talking about? I need to know where not to move ;-) Speaking of which, maybe you should move to a state that doesn't have any sales tax!

-Frank P.
    Alaska - no income tax and only a few local cities/towns have a sales tax. With the Permanent Fund dividend, they wind up paying you to live there. And there's some great conditions for testing your Forester in :-)

Steve, Host
  • splurgersplurger Member Posts: 5
    I found an X MT at a dealer about 4 hours away, negotiated a good price with a local dealer, and was eagerly anticipating delivery this weekend. Apparently, that dealer will not now "trade" vehicles with the local one, so the car has to be shipped. As a consequence, they want me to fork over an extra 350 for the trucking company. I find myself in a position where I really need to make a purchase quickly. Any comments?
  • gidogido Member Posts: 5
    I live in the San Francisco Bay area. I have an 03 Forester. I feel the dealers around here are crazy. I was quoted $400.00 for my 15,000 tune-up. I've called the three area dealers and each has a different quote around the same amount. The dealers say the all wheel drive costs extra. Maybe so but 400.00. Edmunds.com says it should be around $200.00. How much are other people paying?

thanks
    Did that myself, so I only paid for parts. Even those were at wholesale from Liberty Subaru - mail order.

splurger: I'd walk, that dealer made a deal and now they're adding to the price. That's textbook bait-and-switch.

The X model has incentives and the dealer should be motivated to sell. The 2005 gets a new 3 spoke steering wheel and soon will be in the lots competing with that 2004.

-juice
  • manindunemanindune Member Posts: 7
    Hi, guys,

I've been lurking this board for a while and it's been very helpful. I am posting the deal I got but I also would like your comments.

After driving Forester, CRV, Santa Fe and Outlander, my wife agreed with me that the Forester was the best, to my immense relief.

Anyhow, as I was going to move ahead with the purchase, I just asked about Legacy out of curiosity and the dealder hits me that there is $1500 rebate on Legacy this month as they want to clear the room for soon arriving 2005. I think I got the pretty good deal with Forester, but the Legacy deal was too good to pass on without some serious consideration. I just want your opinion if I indeed got a good deal on Forester and what you think about Legacy. I have 8 month old son so the safety of Forester was a big selling point to my wife (side airbag standard, highest rating, etc). I got this Internet quote from Stohlman Subaru in VA upfront and haven't tried to negotiate any yet. From what I've seen so far, I think this is pretty good deal and inclined to accept it whichever I choose. Would that be a mistake?

Forester X: $19895 (dest, dealer fee included) plus tax and tag, 1.9% special financing
    (invoice $20478 including dest on Edmunds)
    (It was $19559 from Fitz Mall but Stohlman is so much closer to me and they throw in some vouchers for loaner cars, maintanence discount, etc, so I am willing to pay a few extra for convenience)

Legacy L Special Edition: $17998 (dest, dealer fee included)plus tax and tag. (after $1500 rebate) no special financing with rebate. (invoice $19982 after $1000 rebate according to Edmunds)

I want the safest vehicle possible and we loved driving Forester. I am not too thrilled about Legacy, but it is almost as good as Forester and there are some added perks with Special Ed trim, such as double moon roof. I loved the moon roof in Forester, but I have to pay additional maybe $3000 for XS Premium, out of my budget range. It's really side airback/Forester/cool vs. Legacy/moon roof/(less cool)

Any comments will be appreciated. Thanks!

JP
    They both sound like great deals. As far as the rebate vs 1.9% financing is concerned, to determine which is the better deal you'd have to know the amount financed and for how long. They're both good vehicles but deciding which to get is really a personal choice. I suggest you make a list of which features you value most and base your decision on that. If you're still undecided then test drive both back-to-back (as they have distinct personalities) and if you still can't decide, pick the one the puts the biggest smile on your face. The bottom line is get the one you'll be happiest with and forget about which is the best bargain.

-Frank P.
    Dune man....take your port-a-crib ,port-a-swing, etc. to the dealer and see how it all fits in the Forester cargo area. Kid stuff takes up so much room, esp when you visit the relatives for the weekend, go to the beach, etc. Add a labrador retriever and you're crowded. Im mulling over the same question, Legacy v Forester, and while I like the Forester better to drive everyday, the extra room in the rear of the Legacy has real advantages.I saw a Forester with a really nice Thule luggage pod on the roof this weekend...that may be the solution for me since my girls are 7 and 13 and backpacks and duffel bags are easier to stow .

Good luck...you cant make a bad decision with those prices on two excellent, reliable cars!

Mark
  • jazzjazz Member Posts: 15
    First, many thanks to all who share their wisdom here. I've been a long-time Honda Civic owner, but it's time to retire it after 13 years and 175K miles. I hope to be the smiling owner of a Forester by the end of the month. I test-drove one for the weekend and there's no turning back now!

I'm comparing prices from several dealers and hope someone will weigh in with an opinion. One dealer gave me a price of $22,699 for a 2004 XS PP Automatic with cargo tray, arm rest extension, interior air filter and rear cargo net. Only other fee would be for the paperwork ($125) and I'll get the special 1.9% financing. This is in New England where I understand the prices to be a little bit higher than in many other areas. Edmunds shows the invoice to be $22,992. Sounds like a great deal to me, but I've only ever done this once before (with my Civic) so I thought I'd get a sanity check before signing on the dotted line. Thanks in advance!
    Too late to edit the message above - I don't think the Edmunds price includes the destination charge of about $550. If I'm right, the invoice price including destination would be $23,542. That's why I said I thought the dealer's quote was great. If I've gone wrong here, please let me know. Thanks again.
    $700 below invoice AND 1.9% financing sounds like a good deal to me.

-Frank P.
    Invoice - The base invoice price that a manufacturer charges a franchised dealer.

National Base Price - The national market price for the base configuration of this vehicle. This figure does not include optional equipment and destination charges.

Short answer - we don't include destination in the invoice price.

Steve, Host
    Thank you both for your input. I just needed some corroboration that I was looking at this the right way. I'll be a Forester owner by the weekend!
    Well, given we own both a Forester L and a Legacy L, I'll toss in my opinions.

I prefer the Forester. It's more tossable, fun, nimble, I dunno. It's hard to quantify exactly why.

The Legacy has more rear seat room and a bigger cargo floor, but Forester does everything else better. Full size spare, head protection air bags, better crash test scores.

The one big advantage is the Forester's seats are better, so be sure to try both for a few minutes.

The Legacy is an excellent value but I'd still pay more to get another Forester.

-juice
  • manindunemanindune Member Posts: 7
    Thank you for all your input. Frank's advice was really helpful and I am getting Forester since most of all, it really puts smile on my face just to think about it! If I need more room, maybe I will just get that Thule cargo box thing Mark mentioned. Yes, Juice, I definitely liked the feel of driving Forester myself.

Well, I got an even better deal from Fitzmall.com, Forester X for $19707 with the options like: cargo bin, arm extension, air filter, upgraded speaker and tweater kit. Thanks a lot! I wouldn't have known about Fitzmall if it wasn't for this board. I'm not even really paying that much more for Forester with all that options!

JP
    Say hi to Maurice, he's cool. Congrats. Did you pick it up yet?

-juice
  • chengcheng Member Posts: 1
    About to give a shot on this silver Forester X for $19478. (invoice $20478, I know this is not the lowest price, given manufacture to dealer $500 rebate, plus a dealer holdback 3% on MSRP, but salesman got to make some bucks!) The Dealer in my area can lower $113 with another color, because it's a 2003 manufactured car. Though both are 2004 model.

My question is: does it matter to get a car sit in a lot while longer? Besides, is this price good in Northern CA?

Any opinions appreciated. Getting excited to own this car for summer camping/hiking :)
    I thank you all for taking the time to post on these boards. I just bought a car for the first time in 13 years, and because of all of you it was a great experience!

I replaced my 1991 Honda Civic DX 5 Speed (175K miles - a great car that got about 40mpg all those years) with a Forester XS with PP, automatic, with armrest extension, rear cargo tray, non-slip mat for the cargo tray, splash guards, moonroof wind deflector, and interior air filter. MSRP is $26,100 and Dealer Invoice is $23,600 - both excluding the deflector. I paid $22857. The moonroof deflector is free, courtesy of the dealer, and while I don't know what the MSRP or Dealer invoice would be including the deflector, I figure that puts me about $1000 below dealer invoice. I also got the 1.9% financing for 63 months, and I'll use my new Subaru card from Chase Manhattan for the downpayment, thereby earning Subaru credit for future parts & service. I even managed to get $650 for my Civic - sold it to the mechanic who has been servicing it for me all these years.

Bottom line, this car cost me about $22,100! Good thing I saved so much - it's going to cost a lot more to register and insure the Forester than it did to keep the Civic on the road!

Thanks again to all of you. I couldn't have done it without your help!!!
    Congratulations Jazz and welcome to the club! That's a great deal you got. Please feel free to join us in the Subaru Crew topics and keep us posted on your driving impressions and ownership expereinces.

-Frank P.

P.S. I hope you realize that your days of getting 40mpg are gone for good ;-)