Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Subaru Forester Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    $23.8k sounds good with the AWP, congrats! :shades:
  • toddkddottoddkddot Member Posts: 7
    so I have agreed on a price with the dealer, '10 Forester X Premium with PZEV, AWP, and Popular equipment group 1A for $23899. Also get the oil changes, inspection, engine, and transmission or life.
    I've been doing all of the negotiating over email and now they want me to come in to fill out the buy order. What exactly is this? I googled it and couldn't find much. Are they ordering the vehicle or is this when they try to hit me with additional fees and add ons that I don't want?
    Also, I have financing lined up through my bank that I can use if the dealer can't beat 3.96%. I have never used 3rd party financing. Does the dealer send info to the bank about the exact price or do I handle this?
  • gigoypotpotgigoypotpot Member Posts: 21
    I have financed through my own credit union before and based on my previous experience, the dealer will write up a purchase agreement (or buy order), which you sign. after it has been completed, you take that paperwork to your bank so they can process the auto loan.

the bank will then send the dealership a cashier's check, then you get your car! :)

hope this helps!
    OMFG i'm pissed. I find out today that my dealer needs to order a vehicle and it will take 4-6 weeks for delivery. I never signed anything so I am starting to reach out to other dealers again. What a pain.
  • sgloonsgloon Member Posts: 323
    Re: State inspections you will not be saving any money...at least in my state. For AWD vehicles you get a waiver sticker on your vehicle when you buy it as the equipment that they use for the state emission inspections would harm the AWD, thus no inspections needed.
    Demand is hot and supply is short. :(
  • jingyeljingyel Member Posts: 6
    Hi asdf9, Thanks for the suggestion. Currently I am negotiating with premier subaru.

The model I want is 2.5X Auto Premier/AWP + autodimmer mirror, cargo tray, body side mold, splash guard, rear bumper cover, and front head cover. They don't have black color in stock and I need to wait till end of this month.

The offer I have is around $24074 + TTD (6% tax) and $26000 OTD.

I am not sure if this is a good, and how much room for negotiation.
  • johnliangjohnliang Member Posts: 8
    Thanks for all the information. buy a 2010 Forester 2.5x auto base today
    msrp 22973
    invoice: 21476
    final price: 23000 (including TTL)
    Optional accessaries:
    cargo tray
    all weather floor mats
    security system shock sensor
    auto dimming mirror/compass
    rear bumper cover
    carrier base

how about this?
    one question:
    I finance through Subaru, I do not get the certificate of title, the dealer told me that the title is now in the bank's hand, They will give it to me once I pay all my payment, is that correct? First time buying a car, many questions.Thank you for any comments
  • alamocityalamocity Member Posts: 680
    You didn't specify your location so it's hard for folks to comment on your price as taxes, document fees, etc vary from state to state. As to the bank holding the title that is standard practice since they technically own the car until it is paid in full, once you pay it off the title becomes yours.
    So here's what I got.
    2010 Forester Premium
    Automatic
    PZEV
    All weather package
    Popular group 1A
    oil changes, inspection, engine, transmission for life program

$23,888.
    in South FL, tax 1370, almost $400 tag and license, TTL total $1770, so the price for the car is $21230 with those options, Thank you alamocity,
  • alamocityalamocity Member Posts: 680
    Well I'm no expert but it sounds like you got a good deal, enjoy your new Forester.
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,762
    I can't argue with that assessment! ;)
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    very glad to here that, the dealer is good, exchange email several time and then almost fix the price, go to the dealership and get some extra discount (100 off), overall like this deal and love this car.
    Congrats. Our 2009 is also a PZEV. :shades:
  • goi829goi829 Member Posts: 5
    If the MSRP is $28,472 and the 'invoice' is $26,272 then how close is the invoice to the best reasonable price? This dealer states he will accept $26,500, not incl T and L.
    Edmunds.com has a TMV of $27,787 for this vehicle...seems high to me.

This is the pacific northwest region.
    Thx
  • asdf9asdf9 Member Posts: 26
    Have you bought it yet? That's a lot of options! Looks like their price is $400 over invoice. I don't have my bill in front of me, but you'll have to pay some fees too at the closing. Hey, a few hundred dollars is a few hundred dollars. If I did Edmunds right the price came too $23,670.

Do a Edmunds TMV pricing report and show them. The price they give is wayyyyyyyyy better than the competition. If you went somewhere else they would of gave you a MSRP quote!
    No, I have not bought it. I am trying to arrive at a reasonable idea of their bottom line.

The one I want is the 2.5X limited (non-turbo) with some options that add another $500 or so.
    The usual price I saw on Edmunds was $24,800 TMV 25,700.

So I will shoot for between these numbers tonight when visit them...
    The prior quote of $26,500 was too high for a non turbo.
  • cammie7cammie7 Member Posts: 1
    I live in the PNW and just paid $25,122 for my 2.5 Limited with 4 options: auto dim mirror with compass, rear bumper guard, splash guard, and luggage cover. Consumer Reports estimates that for my area, the dealer likely paid around $24,400 to Subaru for the rig. Edmunds came in high for me also. I was really happy that I paid $13 to Consumer Reports and calibrated their report with Edmunds and others. Do some more homework- $26,500 seems waaaay to high. What options are included?
    Cammie7
    Where did you purchase?
    I did the costco check and they came up with $25875 (not incl TTY) plus the costco $495.

This was $400 over invoice...

Your deal seems exceptional...
    Thx
    Are you looking for a car on the lot? I purchased my '10 Forester from Carter Subaru in Seattle and paid $300 under invoice with no haggling. I ordered mine (but didn't have to except that I wanted exactly what I wanted) and that was my OTD price; no other fees added. If you are a resident of the state then you would be subject to the state sales tax, of course.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    This has been very helpful, thank you all.
    The price quoted to me was at the TMV by Edmunds.
    Each of you have paid significantly less and from the SAME dealer...
    So, I have a deposit down, but no signature or purchase order.
    I will speak with them tomorrow about adjusting the price in an appropriate manner.
    Lets see what happens....
    Thx
    Well, good luck. If you would like to know the name of the person with whom I deal at Carter, please send me an email and I will get back to you as soon as possible. The only thing my contact asks of me is that I know exactly what I want and be ready to buy when I contact him. ;)
  • subbiesuesubbiesue Member Posts: 1
    I live in Idaho and I'm willing to drive to Seattle to purchase a Subaru Forester. I've emailed you and would most appreciate the name of your contact. Happy Holidays.
    Thx for your advice. It all worked out fine in the end. Similar deal to yours.
    Did you refuse to pay the document fee $150?
    Another way to boost the price.....
    That fee is "negotiable"....
  • pnw_davepnw_dave Member Posts: 1
    With all weather package, pupular equipment 1A, rear bumper cover, cargo tray, luggage compartment cover, splash guard kit, auto dim mirror wi/ compass and homelink, aero cross bars, all weather floor mats, tax (0.98%) and $300 document fee --- $27,000 OTD. Is it a good price?

I also look at the base model 2X with rear bumper cover, cargo tray, luggage compartment cover, cross bars (no roof rails), all weather floor mats for $24000 OTD.

I am torn between 2 above packages. Please help me to decide which one has a better value (resale, back reclining seats, etc). Is it worth 3000 for those premium upgrades? Thanks.
    You guys definitely pay higher prices up there in the PNW. For the region it may be a good deal, but I'd consider a road trip to Cali to get a better price.
  • n10forestern10forester Member Posts: 2
    I just bought one in Chicago area.
    Subaru Forester 2.5X Premium + options.
    MSRP $25,910
    Got it for $23,000 + TTL + Doc + Tax.

Great sale person came with the price in 5 minutes.
    Congrats. :shades:
  • matthewmmatthewm Member Posts: 47
    @n10forester - You got a great deal. I'm shopping for a Forester in the Chicago area. Which dealership did you buy from?
  • fortensionfortension Member Posts: 1
    Just purchased a 2010 Forester 2.5 Limited at $300 under invoice in Ohio. Another dealer that was an hour away was willing to go $375. A third dealer balked hard at $400. This was without much hard negotiation over the phone.
  • rubykatsrubykats Member Posts: 3
    Thought I did good negotiating, now see maybe not. Forester 2.5x Premium with AWP for $23,436. Got $1337 for my'94 Honda Civic, which runs great, but body a mess from hail damage, rust, etc, and engine light that won't go off. So, before taxes, am paying $22,000. Had no idea other options re rear fender, cargo mat, etc. even existed!!

I signed contract. They didn't take a down payment. Am I stuck? Should I feel awful?

Picking the vehicle up tomorrow. Am I right not to buy dealer warranties, paint coating?
    Re previous message: typo'd the price I paid. It was $23,346 less trade-in. Sorry.
  • n10forestern10forester Member Posts: 2
    Matt, try contact Grand Subaru via internet. pm me if you need more help dealing.
  • heyjude2heyjude2 Member Posts: 4
    I'm in upstate new york. MSRP on this vehicle is $25 706, plus I want door protectors (side moldings). Dealer will add those on for $256, so total is $25,962. Salesman gave me a price of $24,254 plus tax, etc. Through Edmunds, sounds like price is at about invoice. Sounds like a lot of people on this forum did much better. Also, interest rate is offered at 3.74% for up to five years. What do you think?
  • mjgracemjgrace Member Posts: 2
    Just purchased a 2010 Forester Premium 5MT from Riverside Subaru in Little Rock and wanted to give them a plug: got a bit of a discount being the end of the year and all but more importantly the sales process was almost entirely BS free.

There was no pressure: by way of example they didn't even try to sell me an extended warranty...

good folks to buy from.
  • hankr_1hankr_1 Member Posts: 1
    Bought a Forester PZEV X Premium with Automatic, All Weather Pkg and rear bumper cover.
    Sticker: $25,268
    Note: PZEVs are $300 more than non-PZEVs
    Cash Price: $23,216
    Includes all dealer prep/doc fees but before my state Title and Tags (no sales tax in NH, Live Free or Die).

I paid cash so did not take advantage of the factory APR offer and there was no rebate in effect. I got the sense that a year-end deal was important to them. There may have been another $200 to be had, but I didn't want to take the last dollar from a community-minded local dealer who is very supportive of civic and school groups.
    You did fine.

Not only is the price of the new car OK, but also they gave you WAAAAAAAAY too much for your beater Civic.

No offense, but $1337 for a 15+ year old beater with hail damage that won't pass emissions? I'd say the value was more like $500, and only to the right buyer.

You should teach a class on negotiating skills, that's how well you did. :shades:
  • versuspdxversuspdx Member Posts: 2
    Just got a 2010 Forester PZEV X Premium MT, All Weather Pkg, Popular Equipment 1A and auto dimming mirror compass for $23,448. I think I could have done better but I just couldn't find any other premiums with MT around Portland. Did I get ripped off? I know subaru's seem to command a premium here in the NW and I ended up about $200 over invoice.

Thanks.
    is this the OTD price including all?
  • versuspdxversuspdx Member Posts: 2
    It was $23,448 + $200 for fees so $23,648 OTD.
    OMG, no tax in Oregon, a pretty good deal, enjoy your new Forester!
    That same car would have been 6% more here in MD. ;)
  • sacco23sacco23 Member Posts: 4
    My wife and I decided on a 2.5x limited. Most people on this forum are finding deals between 6-10% below MSRP.

I live on Long Island and can't do better than 4.5%. I visited 2 dealers and rec'd 2 internet quotes. My best offer was

MSRP - $27,305
    Purchase price -$26,090

The dealer claims this is $200 over invoice. Includes all except for tax and DMV.
    Extras include rear bumper cover, luggage compartment cover, and rear cargo net.

What do you think of this deal? Any preferred dealers on Long Island?

My offers based on invoice pricing provided by Edmunds are quickly dismissed. I'm not looking for every penny, but want a fair deal.

Please help.
    Not sure if this will help or if it's kosher to post on Edmunds, but as a former Bethpage girl let me try: there's a site called TrueCar that culls actual sales to let you know what others in your area have paid. It also makes it very easy to determine what the car dealer paid for the vehicle (which is below the invoice price, when you take into account holdbacks and other things). Since you really can't compare LI to, say, Portland, it might help to know if your neighbors are paying the same price as you've been offered. I think most of us are not opposed to paying a fair price for our cars; we just don't want to feel we're being played for saps.

Also, have you tried the Internet route--contacting the internet sales people at each dealership via email and asking for their best price? I found an internet saleswoman who said she would go at least $100 below any other price I was quoted. This was very helpful when negotiating with my dealer.
  • carolina_guycarolina_guy Member Posts: 6
    Hey Sacco, I purchased a 2010 2.5X Limited or (XL) in September. I got the cold weather package, leather interior, rear bumper guard, side guard and cargo net. That custom order and after Taxes, dealer fee and all that mess, drove out the door for around your lowest quote there, almost exactly that actually. After many, many web sites and researching everything, I think that was a fair deal.

Subaru's are in BIG demand, and we all know the old economics of that. There aren't any good colored, good package Forester's lying around on lots for long.

just my $.02
    I was not charged a documentation fee. It was never mentioned in any way by the dealer or me. The only thing I paid to the dealer directly was the price of the car, which was $300 under invoice.
    I checked out TrueCar and found it helpful. According to the site my deal is ok. I have a few hundred that I can take off the table.

I'll keep trying..a new car would be nice, but the old one still works!!

Thanks rubykats!
    Hey Carolina...after seeing your post, I realize I have some more work ahead. I found a dealer who will order a car for me with the exact options that I want. Buying a car off the lot doesn't get me a discount.

I'm sure the tax rate is lower in Carolina, but the savings on your deal is substantial.

Thanks for the response.
  • clarkkentclarkkent Member Posts: 154
    They just want to get you car up on the rack so they can tell you all the other work they find for you to have done. Bet the small print says you have to keep your standard upkeep done or you don't get your free oil change. Standard maintenance work (as per owners manual) usually cost thousands of dollars over the first 100K and you probably need none of that done.

I knew a person who bought a new 80k Mercedes every 10 years. He usually put about 250K on in 10 years.

Once he bought the car he NEVER went back to the dealership, not for recommended maintenance or anything unless he had a problem. ie: needed break pad replaced (when they were worn out.).

He said his first car he followed the rec. schedule for preventive maintenance
    and spent over 15K just on preventive maintenance! in 200k miles.

His second car he did nothing until there was a problems and he spend k less that 5K TOTAL on the car in 200K

Standard (preventive maintenance is just a way to get a lot of money from the driving public. (It's ok if your an old lady who knows nothing about cars)

But it is a way for dealers to keep billing your forever.