Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Subaru Forester Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• gopalangopalan Member Posts: 6
    thanks for the response the site autobrag really helps me to find the price.
  • nycjswnycjsw Member Posts: 15
    I live in Richmond but most dealers can have a car shipped in from another dealer in a few days.

The autobrag site will help as will Edmunds by showing you the invoice for all the options. Don't be afraid to try to make a deal over the phone. That is how I'm doing it from now on when buying a new car.
  • xcountryflyerxcountryflyer Member Posts: 32
    edited March 2010
    Don't have the exact information in front of me, but will try to get more details.

2010 Forester Premium 5-speed Manual blue (encouraged her to get the manual to maximize the power and flexibility of the engine, especially since the auto is an outdated 4-speed). Unfortunately, the higher models only come with AT.

Options:
    All-weather package
    Day/night mirror
    Cargo mat
    Service package $1500
    Aftermarket leather $1600

From what I gleaned, they got the car under invoice before the service package and leather. Something like $3K below MSRP, which puts it under invoice. I wish they had asked or taken me, they definitely should have paid less for the service package and leather package. I guess the dealership made the profit on those two.

I'm encouraging her to get the fog lights. I think I can install them from reading that they are largely plug and play and the car is pre-wired.

This dealer is in the SF Bay area.
  • ary08ary08 Member Posts: 1
    I haven't bought a new car in awhile so I wanted to check this price:

2010 Forester Limited

no additional options

MSRP 26,990
    Invoice 24,355
    TMV 25,279 with destination of 695 included

Georgetown Subaru
    Norwalk, CT

24,799 including destination

+ 279 dealer conveyance
    +6% tax
    +163 DMV registration

so, 26,745 out the door

It seems like a ok deal and I like the fact that they emailed me a straight forward quote.
    Any feedback on this dealer, price or other CT experiences would be a great help.
  • nycjswnycjsw Member Posts: 15
    I was able to get almost $400 below invoice with the destination charge. If you get close you can always get them to throw in some goodies. I would think you could get another $500 out of the deal. But in your market the prices might be a bit more firm like in the NW.
  • firstsubfirstsub Member Posts: 11
    Just traded my 2009 Premium x Forester with 62,500 miles for a 2010! I was able to pay off the first loan and purchase another car with 0 milage for same payment. The 2009 Forester was going to need new tires and brakes soon, probably around $ 1000 complete. So now I'm drinving a new one. Saved $ Here's my deal:

Fitzmall, MD

2010 Forester X premium w/All Weather package-PZEV

auto dim mirror w/ compass
    body side mouldings
    rear bumper guard
    wheel locks
    luggage cover
    all weather mats
    lugage tray

$ 23,494 car
    $ 24,549 OTD with title, tags NY state tax

I traveled from Long Island top MD in 4 hours. Transaction took 2 hours. Very smooth. I would recommed this dealer. No one in my area would meet price.

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    We got ours their too, and had a similarly good experience.

Auto or manual?

Ours is a PZEV Limited (auto is the only way those come).
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,786
    Wow.... 62,500 on an '09! That's impressive! :surprise:
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    Auto X Premium w/all weather.
    My 2009 was one of the first. I bought in in May of 08. As you see , I,m in the car alot. As I mentioned, The car was running fine however it was more economical to purchase a new car since it needed routine maintenance like tires and brakes. I was very impressed with Yoko G95 tires. Long tread life. This car could easily run to 150,000 miles with normal maintenance The 2010 is very similar however I think they worked out some of the kinks. I don't know if I would purchase a new model year again.
    Congrats. Did you know that's the model that has the very best residual value? It holds the highest percentage of its original value, up to 62% of its MSRP after 3 years. :shades:

Best in class, also. So best Forester model and best small SUV for resale.
  • vitesse304vitesse304 Member Posts: 2
    2010 Forester 2.5x Limited
    Obsidian Black
    Auto Trans
    Popular Package 4B (puddle lights, auto dim mirror and homelink)
    Luggage Cover
    Rear Bumper Cover
    Splash Guards
    Subwoofer

$24,500
    $969 Warranty
    $270 Colorado State Taxes Only
    Congrats. How long is that extended warranty?
  • vitesse304vitesse304 Member Posts: 2
    5 yr / 100,000 miles.

we could have gotten the 7 yr, but we drive so much, we would most likely hit the 100,000 miles before 7 yrs.
    Yeah? I'm the opposite. It would take me 10 years to go 70,000 miles, mostly because we have 3 cars for 2 drivers.

Cheers.
  • wyldcat89wyldcat89 Member Posts: 8
    Just purchased a 2010 Forester X Premium with the all weather package and a manual transmission OTD for $21868 up in Vancouver, WA. The dealer up there beat EVERYONE's price without having to haggle. The transaction was smooth and effortless, probably the best experience buying a car so far.
    Congrats, great price!

What color?
  • kvuokvuo Member Posts: 2
    i suspect wyldcat89 bought at the same place I just got mine here in vancouver wa... I got the basic 2.5x automatic with se pkg (wheels and roof rails?) for $19988.. with WA sales tax and the rest of the nonsense, out the door ~$21700

as it is my first new-new car, I found the experience somewhat tolerable -- definately better than buying used.. I still don't understand why it takes 2 hours to buy a car when you're paying cash, though... and as usual, they will try to get you to buy warranties, security systems, once you're in the box.. I find it tedious after awhile - no no no i don't want that garbage.. just sell me the car at the price we agreed upon!
    Sounds great. The X's new SE package is really a fantastic deal. The 16" wheels should be standard on the Premium (rather than the oversized 17") and the roof rails alone are worth the $400 sticker price for the package. If this package was available last September, there is a good chance I would have gone with it rather than upgrading to the premium, even though I have grown to really like the massive sunroof and tinted windows.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • tpeggytpeggy Member Posts: 1
    We got a 2.5X on Apr 29. Spec:

4-spd auto w/sportshift,
    Pzev (Partial Zero Emission) model,
    16" alloy,
    Roof rail,
    Cargo net,
    Cargo tray,
    All-weather flr mat,
    Luggage cover,
    Rear bumper cover,
    Splash guard.

Price paid: $21,100 (1.9% APR with $500 down pay).
    Plus: $283 Doc. and State sales tax.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    If you bought a new Subaru in the past few months, a reporter may want to talk with you. Please email pr@edmunds.com no later than Friday, May 14, 2010 with your daytime contact info and the make/model you traded in.
  • carshcarsh Member Posts: 4
    What was your price pre-sales tax? I've got an offer of $21,800 + the destination fee + TTL, totaling a little over $24K OTD. I thought that was good, but seeing your deal makes me wonder. I'm not in WA, but I don't know how that could make a huge difference.
    The car is a 2010 2.5X Premium with AWP, auto transmission with popular option 1a and the auto-dimming mirror w/homelink. Even if you add in the extra thousand for the auto, I think your deal still is $1K cheaper, right? Is the difference in the options? Thoughts? How can I get my guy to go lower?
    I'd print what you read here and show it to him. Ask how are other dealers able to deliver better deals?

You have to be willing to walk, though. That gives you the leverage.
  • carshcarsh Member Posts: 4
    Can you tell me which dealership you bought from? Thanks.
  • pilotdadpilotdad Member Posts: 12
    2010 Forester Special Edition, 2.5X AT $22,100 OTD. No extended warranty. Subaru of Colorado Springs (Hueberger Motors), the largest Subaru dealer in the US. They have lots and will ship. Prices quoted on their website. No hassle. Very good experience. They also advertise on Ebay.
    We got ours at Fitzgerald Subaru in Rockville, MD. They're a no-haggle dealer so you can look up prices easily:

www.fitzmall.com
  • mont_manmont_man Member Posts: 5
    Just drove home my Steel Silver Beauty. MSRP $27190. Price paid was 25500 plus TTL. Purchased from Bertera Subaru of Springfield,MA. Very pleasant experience with no high pressure sales tactics.
    Congrats.

Now the longest 1000 miles of your life, waiting for it to break in so you can push the engine past 4000rpm. :P
  • filedeliverfiledeliver Member Posts: 1
    msrp 25155, dealer cost: 23529
    otd 23900 (6.75% tax)
    ohio byers subaru
    Sounds like a deal, congrats.
  • cocktailcocktail Member Posts: 1
    2010 Subaru Forester 2.5X Automatic Special Edition - $20500 + TTL
    Includes: All Weather Mats, Vertical Cargo Net, Luggage Compartment Cover, Rear Bumper Cover, Cargo Tray, Auto Dim Mirror w/ Compass and Aero Cross Bars

And Gold Plus Extended Warranty 7yrs/100000 miles with $100 deducttible for $1100
    Congrats. The SE package is a great value, in fact I'm not sure that dealers should order any vehicles without it.
  • alamocityalamocity Member Posts: 680
    Great deal, mind sharing where you got it from? Here the plain 2.5X with automatic seems to run about 20,990.
  • sleepycatsleepycat Member Posts: 1
    Good deal, I get a quote of base 2.5X + AT + Special Edition of 20975+TTL. No other options. Mind sharing where you got it from?
  • godeacsgodeacs Member Posts: 481
    Great deal! Here a "great price" according to Truecar.com is less than $21230....
  • misericordiaemisericordiae Member Posts: 2
    Hi I need some help.

I'm planning on to buy 2010 forester premium trim or limited trim.
    How much should I spend buying it?
    How much should I not go over?
    Start with reference prices from no-haggle dealers like Van Bortel Subaru and fitzmall.com.
  • bwenusbwenus Member Posts: 2
    Kvuo, would you mind sharing what dealership in Vancouver WA? I checked Mike Scarff's bottom line pricing and the car only price is 21K+. So, wondering where I can get the better deal than them? I am in WA. Thanks in advance!
  • georged4georged4 Member Posts: 34
    A local dealer is offering me a 2010 Limited with ncludes all weather floor mats, splash guards, and rear bumper cover and puddle lights for $25,579+ tax but is adding about $100 "billing fees."

I see better prices at Fitzmall. Should I keep negotiating or consider a trip to Clearwater? Should I object to "billing Fees"
    I always find such fees "objectionable." ;)

Good luck in your search!
  • jogousajogousa Member Posts: 402
    Bought one today, traded in 2009 VW Tdi Jetta Wagon.
    Paid 26,471 (that includes agreed $ 500 over invoice).
    This is my second Forester but this time it's a turbo.
    So far so good!
    Congrats. Let us know how it compares, as an owner you'd be the best one to ask.
    edited June 2010
    Cannot compare apples with oranges. I only wish Subaru would introduce their diesels on these shores. Bought Tdi Jetta last year hoping that Subaru would start selling diesels here.

But, as far as I know altough Subaru diesels are being built in Subaru plant in Indiana, all of them are exported to Europe.

Took a test drive of Forester diesel in Austria a while ago - with manual transmission.

Rumors are that the reason for not being sold here is two-fold:

It's not Calif. emission compliant and Daimler Benz's urea injection royalties are too hight for Subaru to pay.

And, Subaru does not have an automatic transmission to match their diesel engine (too much torque generated to utilize current automatic transmission).
    Let's see them address the trans issue first - a CVT that can take the torque of the turbo would be nice.
  • georged4georged4 Member Posts: 34
    Forester Limited 2010:
    Auto Dim, Compass, Homelink, Puddle Lights, Rear bumper cover
    All weather floor mat, Splash Guard, Luggage Cover, Interior illum kit
    Cargo Tray, Moon Roof deflector, I-Pod Tray (@ $1200 MSRP Options)

MSRP: $28,099
    Invoice: $25,802
    My Price: $25,600

I expected about $500 below invoice, but since Fitzmall prices were about the same thought this was good.
    That's pretty loaded up...congrats.
  • kvuokvuo Member Posts: 2
    edited June 2010
    bwenus it was dick hannah.

btw i noticed someone else in this thread someone talk about the 1000 miles break in... I passed 1000 last week sometime, babying it under 4000rpm, Finally noticed today I was willing to fully goose it.. 170 horse aint bad for lil' car like this after all :)

i can only imagine what you turbo boys experience :)
    Well, being a "turbo" boy, I am waiting for that 1000 miles mark! Just passed 400 miles now...it's boring now....
    Cannot find a decent cup holder anywhere in that car, other than rear seat arm rest.
    Have a fat water bottle that does not fit anywhere up front in those odd squares between the seat. Anysuggestions out there?
  • sokkossokkos Member Posts: 1
    To all you soon to be Forester owners - here's what I paid.

$20,795.00 - That's for the car itself. No options.
    Plus licence and plates, plus documentation fee and Illinois sales tax ( 8 % ). Grand Subaru, Chicagoland.

My best advice for buyers is my own recent experience. First, find every dealer that you are willing to travel to. Second, make an offer via the internet ( don't be timid ). That offer should be between 5 and 10 percent below invoice ( this depends on the consumer demand for the specific trim you are making an offer for. I'm assuming demand is low for the manual transmission Forester car I was intrested in. ). In my case I offered $20,790.00 ( on a 21,501.00 Edmunds invoice or this particular dealers 22,196.00 invoice ). Wait for the reply's. In my case there were only a few of the shifties in the Chicagoland area. I felt the dealers offer of 20,795.00 for a Premium ( 5 speed manual ) was more than fair. Another dealer told me to take the car, that it was a " great deal " - I did.

Tips.
    1. As always shop the last week of the month.
    2. A lot of the smaller options ( floor mats, cargo nets, splash guards etc...)
    can be purchased later and perhaps cheaper. At the dealer they add up. You can always get those dealer installed options later - you may find you don't mind not having them.
    3. Always get a good idea of the value of your old car. It's a bit of a hassle - but sell your old car privately. These days there are so many options to do just that.
    4. Research the invoice on the exact car you are buying. Find as many sources as possible.
    5. And for God's sake get the moonroof - it's #%$! fantastic.

That's basically how I went about buying my Subaru Forester - I hope it helps.

See ya in the snow,
    sokkos
  • mont_manmont_man Member Posts: 5
    Congratulations on your XT. I agree about the oddly shaped cupholders. The only thing you can try is to remove the plastic divider. It will give you a little wider space for your water bottle but it will not sit level.