Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

PlaneJane Got Her Silverado!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

planejaneplanejane Member Posts: 167
edited March 2014 in Chevrolet
No more waiting!
Yes, went to the dealer last Wed. (Sept 1) and
picked up a 1999 - 3/4 ton (YEAH) with the
following options.

LS - Lock Diff, 3.73, 4x4, Cassette/CD Combo,
bucket seats with console, SB, Fog Lamps, Auto
Track, Firm Ride Suspension, etc.. had more than
what I wanted.

Same deal, $700 over invoice (I know they made out
good, but so did I - hehe).

WITH A VORTEC 6000 (Rides like a TANK)

Cindy is sooooo happy. Came with 160 miles :-( -
oh well. But no more waiting... all in the
beautiful Charcoal Grey Metallic - sooo sweet with
the wheel flares which only the 3/4 tons have
(those make the vehicle, you have to see it). When
I get my pictures developed, I will post them.
Went easy on the first 500, but now after a labor
day weekend trip to the U.P. of Michigan, have now
1300 miles. Tim, Bill, Quad, Vince4/5 all you
guys, thanks for listening to me whine for 2
months.

It's late now, will post my experiences with you
tomorrow morning. She's so high..... (oh, and so
is hubby).

Cindy

Comments

• quadrunner500quadrunner500 Member Posts: 2,721
    I think you can get those fender flares on the '00 1500's now, too.

Charcoal grey metallic is beautiful. Don't forget to tell us how you made the deal, found truck, etc.
  • vince4vince4 Member Posts: 1,268
    That's great news. I bet your dealer still didn't have an order number for you! I think you'll enjoy all the goodies it came with even though you didn't think you wanted them. So how about the carpet and the dog? I have the same problem but went ahead with carpet for the sound & heat insulation. I'm going to try a set of Catch All floor mats. What color interior does it have? Now you have to tell us all about programming the crazy door locks etc.

still waiting for a build date Vince
  • mgdvhmanmgdvhman Member Posts: 4,157
    Happy you finally got one.

The flares are available on 1/2's now also.

You should drive it to the dealer and ask if he has an order number yet..hehehe.

Get us them pics.

- Tim
  • planejaneplanejane Member Posts: 167
    After the trip to Michigan, the truck was FULL of dog hair, I have the graphite grey interior (better for hiding dirt) but the dog is a YELLOW Labrador Retriever. His hair was everywhere. I even took it on Saturday over the weekend while on the trip to a carwash and did vacuum it out. I couldn't take it. I was thinkin' - DOG? TRUCK? DOG? TRUCK? Just kidding, he's part of the family so we had to keep him, he's an excellent bird dog. But then after work Tuesday, I spent almost an hour vacuuming/cleaning out the entire truck and got it back to looking like new again. Can't wait to get a cap for it, then guess where doggie will spend most of his time ;-)

Had many stares/compliments already. Its a real nice highway vehicle. The first leg of the trip on Friday night was to Green Bay from where we are (SW Chicago suburbs). Hubs got a little nervous, not sure what to expect with gas mileage. But, it made it to our usual gas stop for the same amount of gas money as our piece of crap Blazer, the gas mileage isn't as bad as we expected. I will have to take notice of actual mpg when I get a chance.

If I could recommend to anyone, I would get the flares on the 1500. Next to a Silverado without one, you can really notice the difference. Makes it look real tough.

No, dealer did not have an order number. I didn't have to haggle much with prices originally anyway, my sister works there and they really like her alot, she said they tried to sell my truck to someone else the day before for $1500 over invoice. The guy refused, good for him!

Tim, I was just happy they had a 3/4 ton on the lot, it was nearly what we wanted, I guess my salesguy didn't call to tell me he had it because he thought I really didn't want the carpeting.

Be right back..... in a little while.
    Not sure yet about programming door locks, all I know right now about the doors is, if you want to activate the alarm, you lock the door with the remote or power lock on the handle BEFORE you shut the door. If you do NOT want to activate the contents theft alarm, use the keyless remote or power locks AFTER you shut the door.

ONE PROBLEM:
    There is a wind-like whistle coming from the area near the left side mirror or windshield that starts to whistle at about 30-35 mph. At first thought it was a brake squeak (thank goodness it wasn't) I can really tell that its a wind noise of some kind. Its not bad, but a bit annoying. I will check around to see if anyone else is posting this problem.. Otherwise everything else is perfect. No vibrations, shimmys at any speed, so far so good. Anyone else having a noise like that? Tim? Maybe I will start a new post on it??
    No whistle here girl.

Check out the Silverado III section. I am going to post about the Door locks next.

- Tim
    Well, someday I'll have the same color interior. I went in wanting the light gray but once I saw the graphite I fell in love. I have a chocolate lab so the brown hair shouldn't be too bad. One thing I'll get right away is some sort of seat cover I can take in and out easily. Maybe just a blanket or something. I have a few pet supply mags that have several choices. Are you interested in what I find?
    I read about the windshield gasket causing noise but I think it was a flapping sound rather than a whistle. Can't remember which topic, look around.
  • jaijayjaijay Member Posts: 162
    Is the whistle comming from the front driver's side? Is it a high pitch whine? I had this problem and after reading one of the posts, I do not know which one, had a fix using WD40 on the inside of the left front wheel. This did the trick. What a truck heh? I really enjoy mine. Hats off to the Bow Tie boys.
    Yes, JaiJay -
    The wind noise IS coming from the front driver's side, yes a high pitch whine too. Thanks! for the fix. I will try it. How in the world did you figure out that one? What is the noise in relation to?

The truck is so awesome. If I had all the money -(and I mean millions $$$$$$) in the world, I would be driving this very truck. Did you ever see it in Charcoal Grey Metallic? God, I worship it.

VINCE4:
    So far, like a fanatic, I have been vacuuming my truck out every day, it only takes about 5-10 minutes tops. But, I can't stand the hair.. it floats around and it drives me nuts. Can't spend another $2-3K on a cap yet, maybe this winter. SO, will have to keep up on the vacuuming til then. Yes, definitely let me know what you find as far as the pet supply catalog. THANKS.

Cindy
    I was gone for a week, and just checked Chevy III - there was a whopping 131 posts that I missed, saw my name a couple of times mentioned, and haven't had time to read those.

So, I have to do some serious catching up, I am missing alot.

Cindy
  • lukomskilukomski Member Posts: 6
    Hey Jane,

I didn't wait either. The dealership I started with gave me the runaround in a major way. I got fed up with them after repeating one of there comments to them and them calling me a liar.

I went to another dealer and they had 2000's on the lot only 2 days old (off the truck). I bought one that was $2000 more than my original order and am extremely happy with it.

It is a '00 ExtCab Z71 1/2 ton. 5.3/auto, locking diff, bucket seats. Color is Med Grey Metallic w/ matching fender flares. It is one great looking truck.

Vince4,

I have a Rhodesian Ridgeback who will be travelling with me in the back seat and would be interested in any info on a seat cover that is not to difficult to take on and off. Right now I am using a blanket.

Hope everyone enjoys their truck as much as I do.
  • andy_jordanandy_jordan Member Posts: 764
    Geez we cover everything here don't we.

Count me in on the dog proofing - I have an Alaskan Malamute - you know the dog that sheds more than any other.

BTW - Lukomski, ridgeback - nice dog.

Congrats on the truck pj, course you should have got a Dodge............ tee hee
    I almost ordered the rubber floor and was going to have them install it at a later time, ya know, then I thought... no way, there going to tear everything apart doing that, when you take stuff apart sometimes they don't fit so nice as the first time.

I told my husband, you brush the dog out every morning - I vacuum the truck out every night, that way, we can stay on top of it.. he says, sure!
    Then he was running late this morning and forgot. Knew that wasn't going to last long.

Will try that WD-40 thing tonight, hope that works, is it -- inside left front tire like behind the center of the rim? Well, I better check those posts... THANKS A MILLION>
    Cindy
    Ya! Vince finally gets a build date: Sept 20! Not so bad, I should have it by mid-Oct. That 2 week trip on the truck is frustrating. For $640 you would think they could speed it up a little.

Boy, quite a response on the doggy issue. Does anyone out there not have a dog? Cindy, why don't you try some sort of cheap full front rubber mat and see how that works. JC Whitney would be a good place to look.
    That's $640 PLUS sales tax don't forget.

Good Money to go what should be 15 minutes in my case.

I'm in the wrong business!..LOL!

- Tim
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    CONGRATS. I seen u put ur from chicago. Im from indiana about 40 min from chicago what dealership did u buy ur truck from? Maybe i missed it but do u have the x-cab? I know about the dogg thing have a golden retriever with a new 2000 blazer with graphite leather it shows all the hair. Let me know what dealership u got it from ok. Thanks
    Yes, mine has extended cab, with nice bucket seats. Its awesome, just vacuumed it again tonight! This sucks, but I won't have that new truck feeling if I don't stay on top of it, you know? I will try those full size floor mats, that sounds like a good idea.

I got mine from Brian Bemis Chevy Olds, Sycamore IL (kinda far from home, but my sister works there). they are nice people.

But like I said, I made a deal for $700 over invoice, did not haggle, I thought it was fair, not the best, but fair.
  • msb19981998msb19981998 Member Posts: 15
    Glad to hear you are finally driving that big TANK you wanted.

Nothing like the feeling of driving what you want!

Look at Cabelas Hunting and Fishing supplies catalog for options available for you pet. And be sure he has plenty of water...

Take Care,

Matthew
    Jane parents got a 2000 blazer at gibson chevy in south holland illinois for 27500 it listed for 32000 they got it for like way below invoice cause my dad has the gm supplier deal. They were great people to deal with u can bet i am going there next summer to get mine hopefullly he will get that supplier deal again from work. Hey CINDY what color interior is it??? Is it cloth??? im not to keen on the cloth options but i dont need leather let me know how u like it. Thanks
    I just read topic #656, it is all about the squeek and the WD40 fix. See that topic for details Cindy.
    I have the info on the seat covers for dog owners (or dog "guardians" as they are trying to legislate here in nutty CA) if anyone is interested. Send me an e-mail if interested, I have some scans. I found 1 cover and 1 blanket I like, both from www.drsfostersmith.com.

Guess Cindy is off driving that new truck...
    I love that darn truck soooo much. I haven't had the time to keep up with the posts... Thanks for all the info, I will definitely check #656, since it is still squeaking on the left side..
    Oh you make me jealous. Mine will be built next week so it's getting close, yes!
    I can't tell you anything to make you feel better (or more patient, rather). I was a whiner when I was waiting, until I could wait no more.

Took the truck on the highway today, it was making that slightly annoying wind noise. I still haven't gotten under the truck to spray it with WD40 yet. If that doesn't work maybe I'll try some 3-in-1 OIL AND SOME GAUZE PADS... (from the movie "Fletch" with Chevy Chase)- Great movie!

Anyway, not much else I can find wrong with it, it has now 2058 miles on it, tried the hour meter today (with the ignition off, press and hold the trip reset button for a couple of seconds) the hour meter said, 61.5, thought it was cool.

Going grouse hunting this weekend, so will have to take it out into the woods, not real happy about that, since it may get some scratches from branches. I will be cringing all the way.

Hang in there, at least you know when it will be here. I had no clue. By the way, what color did you end up with? Exterior and interior?

Cindy
    Pewter and graphite. I'm really happy with my choice every time I see a pewter truck. People on this board whine about pewter being so common but I don't see that. It is certainly popular but I see more trucks in the other colors. For me, I love the color and don't care what others have, I'll enjoy it.

Had my mind set on medium gray inside until I saw the graphite in person. Love at first sight.

By the way, I found some decent dog oriented seat covers (easy clean...) but decided on the blanket method. I want something I can take in and out quickly. Also I want access to the center arm rest which would be covered by a seat cover (bench seat). So now I'm thinking about a horse blanket or something similar. I want it thick enough to protect the seat from long toe nails. Any ideas??
  • andy_jordanandy_jordan Member Posts: 764
    Depending on how much of a chewer your dog is, I have found that an old duvet / comforter can work. Obviously this depends on whether you have an old one of appropriate size - not really a practical expense to buy new.
    I have my back seat in the up position, cover that with a blanket, and I put a thick moving blanket on the back floor. It seems to keep most of the hair off the carpeting. The front I just keep vacuumed for flying yellow dog hair.

There's so much room for my yellow lab back there, and he likes it alot (lays down in back). I know alot of people mentioned the cheap console between the bucket seats -but my dog with his long sharp nails jumped on it a few times and the tough, hard plastic does not scratch. Which on my old Blazer the other console was ruined by his nail marks.

Anyhow, when I do get a cap, I was wondering.. if I put my doggie back there, will he get any carbon monoxide or fumes from the exhaust? Any one know this first hand?? Now I may have to face the fact that the dog may HAVE to stay inside forever and I will be forever trying to fight the hair problem!!!

*(&&^^%$^%$^%$ Cindy
    That would have been my choice, but my other half wanted Metallic charcoal grey, I like that the same I guess. But the graphite interior - isn't it awesome???!!! Never saw a more snazzy interior color than that!

Hope you get yours soon!
  • quadrunner500quadrunner500 Member Posts: 2,721
    I too like the graphite interior for being pretty, but it's too dark in there! I like to see what I'm looking at. Guess it's time for a visit to the optomologist.
    I agree....Nice color...But too dark for me in any color. That's why we have options I guess.

- Tim
    Well I'll have to wait and see how happy I am with the graphite--we are all suckers for GM marketing, the color is black--interior. For now it's all a fantasy anyway. It's hard to believe I'll have it in a few weeks. First I waited for the new Ford, ugly and light duty. Then I waited for the Ford SD, still ugly and too heavy. Then I waited for the new Chevy, love it but don't trust first year. Wait for 2000. So it's almost here, too damn much waiting.

Anyway I'm done rambling now, Cindy it's fine to put the dog in the back. I wouldn't have a side window near the exhaust open though. If you are concerned, put you husband back there for a hundred miles or so and see if he turns green.
    Oh come out come out where ever you are!!!
    I am away (on a hunting trip or other excursion) with the new truck, I am gone on the weekends and have trouble catching up with all the posts! Husband said no go! Would not ride in the back, he wants to DRIVE! The nerve. (You know how wifes get the newer vehicle) He still gets to drive it most of the time on the weekend- when its fun. Phooey!
    Been talking about caps, not sure how much they run. Maybe 3-4K?

First want to get Rhinoliner or some kind of spray in. Now I have to go back and read all the posts on that!
    Well he's just no fun! Doesn't he care about the doggy's well being? You need to turn on the guilt machine to get him back there.

The spray in liners are nice but don't meet my needs. One thing to keep in mind with a cap is you can't slide stuff to the front with the spray in, you have to get in and pick it up to move it forward. At least that is what I've learned from reading many posts on the subject.

2.8 weeks and counting Vince signing out
    I can't wait until you get yours! Keep me posted OK!
    I guess I would rather not have things sliding around, I have a 2x6 in the spot where it fits on the bed just so things didn't move around too much last weekend.

Talk to you soon!
    Cindy, I remember you had a whistle noise from the mirror area in addition to the axle rub noise. I just read a fix for the mirror noise in the Silverado topic. I assume you saw it as well, yes?
    Not talking these days..

She's going Incognito!

...or she is looking in the back and thinking.."Hmmm..maybe the hubby could go back here and test it out for the dog?"

hehehhee

- Tim
    I have been swamped lately, I miss talking to y'all!!! REALLY!

I just printed the latest from Chevy III - Posts 1092-1191 so I can catch up. I did see the fix and again have to say how awesome it is to find some answers here on this site.

I now have 4400 miles on mine, I will take my roll of film in today, they should be back Thursday - then I will post my truck picture.

Finally. Whats new with you Tim and Vince?? Last weekend I went to the Covered Bridge Festival in Indiana (ROckville) then went to Salt Creek near the Portage of Indiana to fish for Salmon, they are spawning on the creeks near the mouth of Lake Michigan. There's so many of them you could see them jumping all over, we fished for 2 hours - saw them jumping - some over 10-20 lbs and they don't like to bite because they are busy spawning, but once you hook into one, watch out!!! THey will pull out all your line!!! Going back maybe next weekend if not to Wisconsin.

Talk to you guys maybe on Chevy III when I get the chance to write again.

Cindy
    Next time your in indiana stop over and show off your truck to me haha i live in hammond about 30 min from portage indiana not the portage of indiana. Cindy u should take a fishing trip to lake erie i went a couple of yrs back and it was cool lots of walleye. Do u have bucket seats or the bench im wondering about that i think im gonna go with bucket but havent decided yet im going to angola indiana this weekend to talk to the dealer im gonna order from this coming march. Also what options do u have that are necessities?
    Thanks
    Ryan
    Ryan
    I originally ordered a 2500 with 20/40/20 split bench. But I am glad I got the bucket seats. With the bucket seats I think access to the back seat is alot easier. With the bench, anything I need to get from the back would be a far reach over. However, if you want alot of seating room, go for the bench.

I have:
    2500 Ext. cab LS Shortbed
    firm ride
    locking diff
    3.73 gear ratio
    cd/cassette upgrade
    alum. wheel upgrade
    auto trak
    HD Trailering Package
    NO Z71
    in Med. Charcoal Grey Metallic
    (Can't think of anything else)

Order as much as you can afford! I wish I had the compass/temp rear view mirror. I use a cheap compass that suctions to the window and its never accurate - I am in the remote woods sometimes and need a good compass, it would have been nice built into the rear view mirror.
    Next Time I am in Portage Indiana - I will honk for you!!!
    Yes, I would get the locking diff, even just for minor purposes, because when you are out just in rain and the roads are wet/slippery, the locking diffs will get you going without making the tires spin, I imagine especially if you are going up hill or slight incline, where they normally would spin out a bit. This will also, I imagine, limit your use of even having to use Autotrak during rainy or wet terrain. On a truck, I would definitely get it. I wouldn't use Autotrac anyway unless there was snow on the ground, but in the brochure it says you can put it in "auto" mode even for just rain.

I know about the prices, it pretty outrageous once you add all your options, but consider what SUV and suburban/tahoe/explorer/expedition prices are way, way higher. I think in the $40K-$50K with options. Its getting ridiculous, the economy is good right now, so everyone is buying a new vehicle AND paying these prices. SO they get away with charging this much. Then again, there is so much technology into these new vehicles too than it use to be. I don't know. Once you get yours you will absolutely LOVE it. I can guarantee this.

Cindy
    i know i will love it im gonna be driving one on sat im going to the dealer and we are gonna go driving a little bit. The autotrac thing is great our new 2000 blazer has it and i used it yesterday in the rain worked like a charm only bad thing is it got dirty gotta get up at 7am before school to wah it tomorrow. Prices of these things are crazy our blazer listed at $32000 but got it for $27500 because of a gm supplier deal i hope to get this summer from my dad. How much if u dont mind me asking was your final price? I am just curious. Hey quit knocking the wheel flares on the 1/2's im glad they do it factory so i dont have to go out and get em on. Talk to u later

Ryan
    The 1/2 ton flares are an option right? They have to be ordered or else they don't come with???

??
    Yes a $180 option
    Cindy, didn't your Blazer have over 200k miles? Not sure how that relates to your ext. warranty.
    Yes, my Blazer has currently 211,000 miles. It's still going and going... the fuel problem never got fixed. My husband gets to drive it now, isn't he lucky? He has to drive it with 2 feet on the pedals - if he takes his foot off the accelerator, most of the time it will die out. We have yet to set aside the time to dissect the problem. It's one of those things, on a older vehicle.. you keep replacing until it works. Yes, that relates to the warranty, I guess you're right - most of the problems will show up long after 100,000 miles, especially with the new Silverado, seems to be a seriously reliable truck. Especially the 3/4 ton, huh?

Never thought about that, we were so devastated by the repairs. And the funny thing is, most of the life of that little S-10 Blazer was maintenance free. WELL I BE DARNED. You are very very observative, Ahhhh SO.

(By the way, did you read the stupidly crazy posts on the RUBLUTOO BASHING topic?????? Geez Louise these guys, they love that male bonding thing over there.)

Thanks, Cindy!!
  • 2500lt2500lt Member Posts: 18
    It's gone now.

Where did I leave off with the Ginsus??

next Contestant please..

- Tom Dunkel
This discussion has been closed.