Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Subaru Forester Prices Paid and Buying Experience

1656667686971»

Comments

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,762
    Pretty good deal

That's a modest understatement! rameshb, I wouldn't lightly walk away from that offer. ;)
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • rameshbrameshb Member Posts: 4
    This is from Grand Subaru in Chicago. I'm from Detroit area and after reading through this thread wanted to get pricing from them. Glad I contacted them.

Well, what do you guys think about the navigation in the new Forester. Adding navigation and remote started would still keep me below $25K :)
  • karhill1karhill1 Member Posts: 165
    Leasing can be a great deal if the right vehicle is leased at the right time. The best leases are when the OEM subsidizes the lease with a low money factor and\or high residual value.

Most people do not understand a lease. The truth is with a leased vehicle, a person can do anything they can do with a purchased vehicle. They can keep it, sell it, or trade it at a dealer. In addition, they can just give it back at the end of the lease. That cannot be done with a purchased vehicle

With the right lease, people do not pay much more than if they bought the vehicle. They often do have less in equity but that is simply because they pay a lower monthly payment. Equity is not free.

And always, people need to negotiate the price of the leased vehicle as they would for a purchased vehicle.
    Me, not being a fan of tech-nannies, would have to recommend that you save your money for something more useful over the long run. If you really want navigation, you could get a better portable unit for far less cost.

Auto-starts are a nice convenience feature, but entirely unnecessary. Again, far better aftermarket units are out there, and probably at comparable cost to the factory unit.

The only drawback to either of these suggestions is that you won't be able to finance the cost of non-dealer/factory-installed options. ;)
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • verbmomverbmom Member Posts: 4
    I may be mistaken, but it appears that the only way that you can get a Forester with satellite radio is also to get navigation. I hope that I am wrong! I am interested in buying a Limited without navigation, but I also really want the satellite radio (without wires hanging out all over and without after-market installation).
  • g40txg40tx Member Posts: 4
    Chrisff1,
    Same price here in Houston, but I didn't ask the sale rep if the reservation or deposit that I gave will be deducted from the total price. Plus I have to wait till the end of the month for the vehicle to arrive. Any input from the group will help. Thanks.
  • kyakujakyakuja Member Posts: 1
    Hi, Schewmi,

I would like to buy a Forester Premium and I am living at Montgomery County. Could you please share with me the dealership name and the person that you were working with?

Thanks
  • kannon8833kannon8833 Member Posts: 7
    I was looking for a 2014 Forester. Best price around Baltimore area by far was at the Rt 40 West Subaru dealership - Russell. We ultimately decided to go with an 2013 Outback and then Jones Junction matched Russel's great price but also had lifetime oil changes. But if you are in Montgomery County, highly suggest checking Russell. The new Forester is a real nice car. Good luck.
  • novarpnovarp Member Posts: 2
    Hey all. Very excited about my first Subaru purchase. I live in Northern Virginia which is part of the Washington DC metro area. I have contacted a few dealerships in Va and Md, but not got any good quote. Would you'll share your buying experience and prices paid for the trim level in the subject line.
    Thanks in advance.
  • blgblgblgblg Member Posts: 1
    Dealer has a Subaru with less than 750 miles on it. Turned in from someone that did not like it. Base model with no options. They are asking almost MSRP for it. What is a good price. This is way too high. I was thinking $18-19K?
  • novarpnovarp Member Posts: 2
    Is this a good quote ?

$25,998 plus tax, title and processing fee of $299. MSRP $27,517.

Option Package 02: All-Weather Package.

Accessories:

- Front Bumper Underguard
    - Rear Bumper Underguard
    - Auto-Dimming Mirror Compass
    - Rear Bumper Cover
    - All-Weather Mats
    - Splash Guard Kit
    - Security System Shock Sensor
    It'd say about a grand less than the best price you can get on the same car new (there or anywhere else you'd be willing to travel to buy it) would make for a worthwhile deal. Remember that while this car only has 750 miles and is likely "new" in nearly every way, its in-service date (the date at which the warranty timer starts ticking down) started when the original owner drove it off the lot....
    edited August 2013
    It's not terrible, but is a little over invoice. I'd shoot for no more than $25,500. At the end of the day, though, a "good price" is any price at which you're satisfied! ;)
  • saccasacca Member Posts: 1
    Thought I'd pass on what I paid in Northern CA last week. 2014 Forester Limited with package 2 (mirrors/homelink), MSRP $29,461. They took $2750 off, but added $400 for body moldings and splash guards, so it came to $27,111 before tax (8.5%!), license, doc, tire, and CVR. Out the door $29,806. This vehicle might come in 6 colors, but in these parts, the only color we could get with the light gray interior was white.
  • mashleyvamashleyva Member Posts: 2
    Is this a good deal:

2014 Forester Limited, Rugged package #2
    Aero Cross Bar Set.
    Rear Bumper Cover.
    Luggage Compartment Cover.
    Splash Guard Kit.
    $26,695

OTD $28,323

Appreciate any feedback or information!
  • northnorth Member Posts: 6
    Sounds like a good price to me.....I'm in metro DC area, just beginning to look for a 2014 Limited.
  • mashleyvamashleyva Member Posts: 2
    Brown's Manassas Subaru was great, very painless process.
    Thanks so much,,,,,just curious, did this include the VA dealer "processing fee" and if not, how much was it in addition to the 26+ price?
  • carfan47carfan47 Member Posts: 4
    The best MSRP's I have noticed in my area (upstate NY) are around $26,300 for the premium w/just the All Weather Pkg. The splash guard and rear bumper guards are common, yet the - Front Bumper Underguard
    - Rear Bumper Underguard seem to be pricey! Also I would like the Auto-Dimming Mirror Compass but my dealer already has my Trade i and $700 cash deposit (I am financing w/him) and is not budging on the MSRP!!

Your dealer gave you $1500 discount so i would not even blink at the $299 processing fee. I think my dealer is making about $2000 on the sale, (MSRP) and nothing on the trade (maybe losing $100-$200) and has me at 4.9% financing for 72 months at $447/mo payment!

Your deal looks great, are you financing there, or trading in?
    edited September 2013
    I am usually smart enough to know when I am outclassed! Originally I wanted to keep my car payments to around $300/month. Now I am going over $400/month:

The exact car I have lined up is: New 2014 Subaru Forester 2.5i Premium w/All-Weather Pkg
    Model Code: EFF
    Options
    * Rear Bumper Cover
    * All-Weather Package
    * Satin White Pearl Body Side Molding Kit
    * Splash Guard Kit
    * Heated Exterior Mirrors
    * Heated Front Seats
    * Windshield Wiper De-Icer
    The only options not part of the All Weather Pkg ($500) are: Rear Bumper Cover,Body Side Molding Kit,& Splash Guard Kit.

The dealer is digging in on me paying sticker which is right around $26,870. Every on this forum people are getting like $1500 or better off sticker! Is that all done on the web?

My Trade In can best be described as slightly over scrap value (he allowed $500) and I maxed out with $700 down which the dealer has.

1) Our previous Purchase Order contract was for the MSRP of $24,262.00 For the Base 2014 Forester w/auto trans. etc. Tax came out to $1900 (after Trade in) and amount financed was: $25,060. Doc fees under $100.

Questions: With my own finding of Credit Scores at Only 594, with a recent paid off on time secured loan, is the monthly payment of $447.61 at 4.9% over 72 months, outrageously high? His first offer was $399 w/base at 4.9% 72 months and $447 over 72 months at 4.9%.

I feel the dealer is making a few grand on car, and maybe even splitting 2 or more percentage points with the financing!

I am about to sign off on this deal on Monday September 30th, and feel as if I am effectively "paying first pencil" because I am dealing with the Sales Manager, a real nice guy, but I really want a much better deal!

How can I get him to give me say even a $500-$1000 discount when he already has my trade-in which I towed in (but can tow away) and my $700 deposit/down payment? When I told him I wanted the base model for $350 per month or the premium for $400 per month, he said he could not get those payments and would let me out of the deal.

He did say once he swapped with another dealer to get my car, no refunds or exchanges. All I really wanted was under a $425 monthly (72payments) for the Premium with all weather pkg!!!

I feel as if I am being made to pay "top dollar" because he knows I love the car, which he swapped with another dealer to get in my color choice, and options!

I feel I am being loyal to the dealer, yet he is taking advantage, and trying to make too much profit. Comments, suggestions, ideas?
    I hear that! Nav is an expensive option, almost like a model upgrade!

Also, folks: I am Newbie to Internet car buying: Do they finance you too?

Chose 300 mile radius:

Maryland
    Maine
    Penn
    Philly
    Delaware
    Vermont
    New Hampshire
    Mass
    NJ

Only problem local dealer has a cash deposit!

Recc on Internet prices for areas above?

Seeking 2014 Forester Premium w/option#2 All Weather and:

Popular Package #1 ($567)

* Exterior Auto Dimming Mirror w/Approach Lighting
    * Rear Bumper Cover
    * Seat Back Cargo Net
    * Auto-Dim Mirror Compass
    * Driver's Side Mirror - Bulk
    * Passenger's Side Mirror - Bulk
    * Exterior Mirror Hardware Kit

Is satellite radio avail on Premium? I do not know if i would pay for Nav to get it either...
  • lservelserve Member Posts: 50
    Yes, unfortunately you need the Nav package if you want either built in Sat support or the new AHA integration. They've bundled it as a single technology package.
    With Apps like Waze, why would anyone want to spend 1K on a nav?
    Beyond the nav, the AHA functionality transfers app menus directly onto the console screen. You access your streaming presets from your car controls instead of fiddling with your phone. I think where Subaru faulted is not offering an option like this without nav. They really tie your hands, for something as common as in dash XM. Having Sat in 2 cars, one being an after market install, the other factory, there is a lot to be said for the factory install. You spend less time wondering why weird things are going on with your electrical system.
  • tmoney9tmoney9 Member Posts: 1
    So I got the EFA, 2014 Forester 2.5 manual with no accessories with the following in Denver:

36 month
    15,000 miles
    $2,500 down
    $220 per month

Is the residual percentage based off of Gross or Adjusted capitalized cost? If gross, the residual was 63% and my money factor was .0017. Acquisition fee was $595 and dealer fee was $500.

If anyone has an opinion on if this was a good or bad deal please feel free to share.

Also, has anyone negotiated the disposition fee off?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200
    Residual percentage is based off of MSRP..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• militarybrat75militarybrat75 Member Posts: 2
    2014 Subaru Forester 2.0XT Premium

Popular Package #2
    Rear Bumper Cover
    Ext. Mirror Auto Dimming Mirror w/Approach Lighting
    Seat Back Cargo Net
    Auto Dim Mirror w/Compass & Homelink

The vehicle also included an appearance pkg with side pin stripe and paint sealant.

Sticker Price: $30,695.00
    Final Price: $26,500 + tax and dealer fee

By far the best car buying experience over at Shortline Subaru. I think I got a great deal and they car has been great so far....my first subaru!
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    I'm with you...love Waze.

I have an S4 now but trying to negotiate a trade for a new Note 3.

Got it on a vent mount and hardly use my Garmin any more. Just about ready to pack it away, actually.
    I know this is a little late to the game, but anything over invoice is not a "good deal." What you have to decide is at what point you're willing to walk! Clearly, the dealer knows that you are in a tough spot. With a towed in trade, I imagine that you need yourself a set of reliable wheels? That, by itself, puts you at a disadvantage. If you haven't bought the car already, the best thing you can do is determine where else you might be willing to buy a car! Make the dealer compete for your business so that you have some leverage.

Right now, you are at the mercy of the dealer. If the seller doesn't have to give up anything and will still get your business (happy or not), what incentive does he have to do so (other than just being a decent person)?

My local dealer is horrible if trying to get a decent price on a car. The last time I tried to buy one from this dealership, they literally wouldn't give a single penny. Not on the price of the car, not on accessories... nothing. I got a quote from my dealer in Seattle (2,200 miles away) for close to $3,000 under what this dealer was asking, and he said, "if you want to go to Seattle to get a car, be my guest. The next person through the door will buy this car for MSRP." So, I did! Cost me ~$500 to fly down, drive it home, and winterize it, so I still saved $2,500 and had an awesome drive.

Ironically, the next week when I drove my car to work, there was the exact car I was trying to buy locally. When inquiring with the owner, she paid full price for it. LOL; the dealers know what they're doing.
  • eggpulusueggpulusu Member Posts: 2
    Dealer1 response: Price on a Touring with Eyesight and Pop. Pkg. 2 is $31,377.00 which is invoice. Went there but they do not have touring for test drive.

What do you think?

Waiting for other dealers.
  • eggpulusueggpulusu Member Posts: 2
    Dealer1: $31,377 with Total as $33,166.06
    Dealer2: $30,841 with Total as $32,293.84
  • exbauerexbauer Member Posts: 29
    Care to share this dealer? I am looking for an XT also.
  • tjforestertjforester Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2013
    Just bought a Forester Touring with Eyesight, keyless access (Package 30), Mirror Package #2 and Protection Package #2. MSRP including destination was $34,262. Purchase price was $30,640 plus $250 doc fee. I used a quote from out of town dealer as leverage. Just didn't tell then that the dealer was 1,200 miles away.

We had a 2010 Forester for trade-in but tried to keep the trade-in pricing separate from the 2014 purchase price, though near the end I targeted a net on the deal including doc fee, before sales tax. They ended up allocating the $30,640 to the purchase price and an amount to the trade-in which pretty much matched the NADA Clean Trade-in value I research on-line & brought with me. This was $890 more than CarMax offered for the 2010.

Having documented pricing and quotes made the process much easier.
    Hope this helps others. The Shoreline quote was better but too far away to make it realistic.
    Actually your reply is well timed. I suppose it's a bit ironic that local dealers who might have the most to gain, by offering the best deals, will of course play on the fact that people would rather buy locally than travel great distances.

Bottom line is that I am in still in the market for a new Forester and see that shooting for around $1000 below invoice (maybe even $1500) is not unreasonable. Internet sales agents seem to start at around $500 under invoice while local dealers dig in to MSRP!
  • fandangofandango Member Posts: 18
    2014 Forester 2.5i Premium CVT with...
    Cold weather package
    Popular Package #2
    Cargo tray
    Cargo net
    Aero roof rack bars
    Splash guards
    Cargo area cover
    $25,500
  • illus876illus876 Member Posts: 1
    I can't find any New 2014 Subaru Forester 2.0XT Premiums anywhere in Chicago or the surrounding areas... each dealer's website is the same... they all say "vehicle in transit"... how can I test this car out if the dealers don't have one? Are they in low supply or something?

PS. Can someone recommend a good dealer in the Chicagoland area? Thanks!
    I can see that as a problem given how in short supply these vehicles have been on the lots. I would think at some point supply will catch up with demand and there will be plenty to test drive. We just purchased a limited in a particular color and found in general, certain models are still in short supply in lots. I can't recall any of the turbo's around for test drives. We had checked out several dealers while shopping, settled on Evanston Subaru. They were really good to work with and are pretty much all about Subaru, not part of a multi brand store. Good luck.
  • dagrodagro Member Posts: 1
    This is interesting. My internet agent found a similar car (XT, package 30, rugged 2) for about $800 over invoice, so I am going to have to talk with them about their pricing criteria.
  • militarybrat75militarybrat75 Member Posts: 2
    Shortline Subaru
    Aurora CO

Let me know if you are still looking for an XT. Great sales agent
  • cjay10cjay10 Member Posts: 2
    edited November 2013
    Best Quote I got from a So-Cal Dealer
    Forester Limited
    Popular Package # 2
    Tweeter Kit
    All weather mats
    Splash guards
    Cargo area cover

MSRP : 29632
    Offer : 27150 including destination fee
    On road : 30163

Please let me know if this price looks good or Can I do better.
    This is a reasonable deal. Some of this May be regional, but in the Chicago area people are getting another point or two discount from MSRP.
  • cjay10cjay10 Member Posts: 2
    We did close the deal OTD at 29,363.

2.5i Limited
    Popular package 2
    Luggage compartment cover
    Splash Guards

2-year complimentary maintenance included for all subaru forester sold in california. I am not sure whether is applies only to state of California.

I also got same deal from Timmons Subaru, they were little late to respond. Recommend Santamonica Subaru & Timmons Subaru they were very much communicative and upfront on the pricing.

Thanks to all the contributors of this thread.
  • anhvu324anhvu324 Member Posts: 2
    what dealer give you that offer ?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454

Please help launch our new Facebook tab and be one of the first to share your car shopping experience.

• fred25fred25 Member Posts: 92

To Host:
    would it be possible to make "Subaru Forester Prices Paid and Buying Experience" in bold
    and relocate to the top position in this forum?

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200

We can't order the discussions.. the most recent posts rise to the top.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,145

@fred25 said:
    To Host:
    would it be possible to make "Subaru Forester Prices Paid and Buying Experience" in bold
    and relocate to the top position in this forum?

That happens only when there is a new post and you have the topic bookmarked. Since the last post before yours was dated January 13, I'm not surprised it "sunk" a little bit.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• fred25fred25 Member Posts: 92

Michael@edmunds.com
    Thank you

Fred

• cowxl4cowxl4 Member Posts: 12

MSRP: 29.6, sale: 26.5, OTD: 27.9

Thanks!