Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Subaru Forester Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• gf2020gf2020 Member Posts: 49
    Does anybody know what the rebates are on leftover '04s?

Here in New England it was $1500 on the XT until 11/30. Did it change at all?
  • jenny8jenny8 Member Posts: 2
    Hi everyone,

I'm looking to buy a Forester but the color combination I want is not available - white with the plastic textured grey side panels and bumpers.

A salesman that I've been talking to says they can switch up the panels there at the body shop at the dealership and I think that sounds like a great solution.

So question #1 - I'm wondering if this would effect my ability to bargain with them for the best price? Because it's sort of a customization.

Also, there are only two models that come in white so I'm looking at an XS or the LL Bean model. I really hate the interior fabric on the XS and I'd almost be willing to shell out the extra dough and get the LL Bean edition.

Which brings me to question #2 - Any opinions on whether they're more likely to go closer to the TMV if it's a pricier model. (If the profits bigger, then it doesn't hurt them as much to chip away at it a bit...?)

Thanks for any input and happy driving,

Jenny
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Sounds to me like you should get the LL Bean.

It comes in two-tone, so no customization is required. Plus you like the fabric.

So that's the one to get. Least hassles, most happiness!

If you're on the East Coast, check out Van Bortel Subaru in NY and then Fitzmall.com in MD and FL. Those no-haggle dealers will give you an idea of what you would pay.

I think you can beat TMV and not even have to haggle. Good luck!

-juice
  • agateroadagateroad Member Posts: 4
    I just bought (on Dec 29th) a 2005 Forester 2.5x, manual with group 3b and group 6,listed as $446 worth of options for $18074 plus tax and license.

That included the $2000 rebate. I think this was a good price, but the local adds in the Sacramento paper always made the claim they had (one only) for about 18K that was automatic. When I would stop the (one only) wasn't around. I bought at Gold Rush Subaru in Auburn CA, the salesperson was knowledgeable and polite but seemed to bottom out at $18074. Jim
  • etomidateetomidate Member Posts: 14
    Well just got the XT PP w/ Leather. There seemed to be a huge variation in prices from the internet and dealers. However, after much research, I bought it from South Coast Subaru in Costa Mesa, CA. Nice guys, but a little silly with their jokes and such. No hidden charges such as Pre-inspection stuff...no pressure about getting options that I didn't want...Only problem was the finance guy trying to sell me the 7yr/100K warranty for $2100. Turned down the Lo-Jack as well (not a highly stolen car from my understanding). Also watch for the interior protection plan (totally bogus).

However, I must say that they were the most upfront about the price.

Now the actual car:

Options: splash guard, bumper cover, cargo tray

Color: silver (1st choice)

Trans: auto

Price: +26,100 (plus taxes and license)

Rebate: -1,500 = 24,600 (+taxes/lic)

I know that I could have gotten a few more hundred bucks off or better options. If I went to another dealership with their price, but got tired of pitting dealship prices against one another.

I'm wondering how they are making money at the dealership at these prices. However after looking at consumer reports price buying guide, I realized that they made ~$400 on the deal. And then again, I went in when it was down pouring here in Los Angeles. Not one person was in the dealership and we really didn't test drive the car due to the flooding around the streets. The sales person was quick to make the deal...Do these guys have to fill a quota or something?

Can anyone explain to me why there is such range of prices? Who actually pays close to the full price?

Thanks
    I can't believe what people are paying now. Congrats.

-juice
  • njswamplandsnjswamplands Member Posts: 1,760
  • maimai Member Posts: 10
    Hi all,

this is the first post for me. I am very close to purchasing a forester xs 5spd in the columbus ohio area. So far I've been able to talk both dealerships down to $22,359 and with the rebate of $1,300 the price will be $21,059.

Is this a good deal? I got them to take of the $275 advertising fee b/c I felt it was their cost of doing business and I didn't need to pay that.

I'm buying the car with no additional options and the edmunds TMV is about $22K. Does anyone know if I can get them to come down on the price more?

Thanks in advance!
  • suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    When you say "both dealerships" do you mean the two Byers? There's also a Hatfield Subaru farther south. That being said, there are only those 3 in the whole central Ohio area (and Hatfield's is very far south on Georgeville road), so there's only so much negotiating you can do.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • atapulatapul Member Posts: 6
    Hi,

I purchased a Blue '04 X Auto no options for $17,500 including the NE rebate. I have driven it since september put 14,000 miles on it and I find same mileage forester X's for sale at cars.com for more than $17,000.

I e-mailed tri-city subaru at Dover, NH and asked the internet manager if he would take my offer. He called back and said yes only if I gave a $1000 deposit.

I picked it up the same day.
    I guess I should clarify, I have been in contact with Byers Subaru (not Byers Imports, although they are technically the same) and Hatfield. They have both come back and said they are willing to get rid of the advertising fee of $275. They were both so agreeable I was wondering how much more I can get them to come down on the price and still be reasonable.

Would asking $20,800 be out of the question? I don't want to get laughed out of there. I have not gone to see either dealership yet, as I have been negotiating via email.

Thanks for the help.
  • mpgmanmpgman Member Posts: 723
    Paid $19,800 delivered plus tax and tags for an 05 champagne gold automatic X with the following:

after market leather (looks terrific; side arms rests too)

splash guards

arm rest extension

full set of nets side and back

cargo tray liner

I think I got a fair deal. Ths included the rebate. What do you think?

Thanks.
    Well, I think that I will be heading to the dealerships next week and offer them $20,800.

The one dealership is offering me my first year of maintenance free. I will see if I can get some options in lieu of the maintenance.

Wish me luck! I'll keep you all posted when I finally get the car...
  • etomidateetomidate Member Posts: 14
    Mai:

Honestly, it sounds to me that you need to research the pricing a bit better. Check out the consumer reports guide. It costs $12 and is worth every penny b/c it arms you with the pricing for every option, kickback/holdback, rebates, etc.

As you mentioned the "advertising fee" is totally bogus...pure profit for them.

What I have found in Los Angeles is that everybody is willing to beat the other guys price. Don't let them make you feel bad as if you are cutting into their profits. Obviously the won't sell under what they pay for the vehicle and they have to eat. However, I paid for my 05 XT w/ PP and leather only $500 buck above invoice (this included the dealer kickback from Subaru).

Trust me the dealers will make money from the servicing of the cars. And any respectible dealer will never make you feel bad, even if you offer them a price below the invoice. They will kindly remind you of the fact.

Of note, this is for only the AUTOMATIC

xs $23,086 (dealer's invoice)

holdback is $735

bring the total to $22,351

rebate $1300

finally $21,051

so for a manual transmission, not too bad of a deal.

Best of luck.
    Etomidate,

thanks for responding. I am going this tuesday and wednesday to test drive the car at the two different dealerships.

Would you suggest that I take $727 off that above price? That is the difference between the manual invoice and automatic invoice.

If so, should the xs 5 spd. asking price be roughly $20,324? ($21,051 - $727 for a 5 spd.)

Any help is greatly appreciated. If this is a more realistic asking price (instead of the $20,800 I was considering) then it is a big relief to read your post.

Thanks for your help and suggestions!
  • suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    The prices you're considering offering are only a couple of hundred dollars apart, so I wouldn't sweat it. Also, you may not have as much negotiating room in Columbus, Ohio as you would in a larger urban area with more dealerships and competition. Sounds like you're doing everything right. Hope you get the car you want. Be careful about letting a year's free maintenance swing the deal, though. Subaru Dealer service is a problem in Columbus and you might not like the service where you buy the car and want to get dealer service somewhere else.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • peakpropeakpro Member Posts: 65
    This is my first quote from a NJ dealer for a 2005 XT with manual....from an email I just received.

"....The vehicle that I am quoting you on is a Subaru Forester XT, premium package. The package includes: cargo tray, bumper cover, splash guards, auto dimming mirror/compass, security system upgrade, and cargo net.

$23,499.00 that is with the $1500 Rebate already taken off instead of the finance special......"

Should I try to do better.

thanks
    Use Edmunds' TMV tool. If you're below that and they don't tack on fees when you buy it, I think you did fine.

-juice
    Ok, I know in previous posts I said I was going to buy the xs forester. Well, since I was not able to get the price I wanted, I decided to go back to my original choice of the x 5spd.

Here is what I got:

-'05 forester x 5spd. in green (woodland green?)

-cargo tray

-all weather mats

Price paid

$20,100 (not including tax, title etc), so with the $2,000 rebate, the price was $18,100. Not bad for my first car. I'm so excited because there was some snow in columbus yesterday (not much) so I get to test out the AWD!

Overall, it was a good buying experience, I went with Byers Subaru instead of Hatfield Subaru, b/c the Hatfield people were a bit pushy. They fed me the "you must come in by tonigt or the price is no longer good" line.

The internet sales guy at Byers was much nicer and the people were not pushy in the F&I dept.

This is my first new car purchase ever, I just graduated from college and this is a great first car for me I think. Thanks to all who gave me their two cents worth on this forum, it was extremely helpful when it came time to negotiate.
  • mnfmnf Member Posts: 405
    Welcome now its time to get some after market goodies... Enjoy...Matt
  • SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    of off-topic posts were removed. Thanks for staying on subject of Prices Paid & Buying Experiences.
  • njswamplandsnjswamplands Member Posts: 1,760
  • ch-ch-ch-chiach-ch-ch-chia Member Posts: 3
    Hello everyone! When reading at the differences between the X and XS models, I noticed that the X model has front disc brakes and rear drum brakes while the XS model has both front and rear disc brakes? Could someone kindly tell me the difference between these two types of brakes and whether one kind is safer over the other? Much thanks in advance!
  • p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
    mai- Congratulations as a new Forester owner. That's a really good price. I'd say you did quite well as a first time buyer and the X is an excellent value since it comes so well equipped.

-Frank
    Excerpt from Edmunds tips and advice section:

Drum vs. Disc: Today

In today's automotive pantheon, it's not uncommon to find four-wheel disc brakes as standard equipment on medium-priced, non performance-oriented models. The majority of new vehicles, however, continue to utilize a front-disc/rear-drum brake setup. What does this say about the current state of braking systems? Are these manufacturers sacrificing vehicle safety in order to save a few bucks by installing disc brakes on only the front wheels?

While a "yes" answer would certainly be great for increasing Town Hall traffic, the truth is that today's disc/drum setups are completely adequate for the majority of new cars. Remember that both disc and drum brake design has been vastly improved in the last 20 years. In fact, the current rear drum brake systems on today's cars would provide better stopping performance then the front disc setups of the '70s. And today's front disc brakes are truly exceptional in terms of stopping power. Combined with the fact that between 60 and 90 percent of a vehicle's stopping power comes from the front wheels, it's clear that a well-designed, modern drum brake is all that's required for most rear wheel brake duty.

High performance cars like the Viper, 911 and Corvette can justify a four-wheel disc brake system, especially if their owners participate in some form of sanctioned racing activity on the weekends. The rest of us get more of a benefit from the lower cost of drum brakes. Expecting every vehicle built today to come with four-wheel disc brakes would require an across-the-board increase in purchase price, and that could stop new car buyers much quicker than any brake system.

Bottom line is that disc brakes do a slightly better job of stopping by dissipating heat faster but I don't know that you'd ever be able to tell the difference.

-Frank
    Rear disc brakes offer better cooling, so if you carry heavy loads or tow, on a long descent they'd perform better. In normal driving you won't notice a difference because the drums can easily engage the ABS.

You also get a rear LSD, i.e. the rear axle can shift power side to side for better tracion in snow. It's an incremental improvement, but still nice.

You get climate control instead of manual A/C. On 2004s, they called it HAL, though, it was such a nuisance. The 2005s are better, but I still won't call it an advantage.

You get a leather wrapped steering wheel, heated front seats (nice feature), power driver's seat, heated mirrors, wiper de-icers, alloy rims, and a 6CD changer instead of a single CD.

That's a lot of stuff, but it does cost a bunch more.

If you want more than half of those things, I'd say go for it. Especially the all-weather gear if you live in a cold climate.

Good luck.

-juice
    Thanks Frank and Juice for the helpful info! I wasn't sure if I would be sacrificing safety over the price but since there is no major difference, with the brakes that is, I'm going to focus more on the X. It suits my budget more. =) Could anyone recommend me a subaru dealership in NY? Preferable in Orange or Dutchess county. Thanks again!
    Try Van Bortel on the web to get an idea of no-haggle street prices. I'm not sure if they're close, but if not ask a close by dealer to beat their price.

-juice
    I'm originally from upstate NY and Van Bortel is no where near those counties. It is in the Victor/Rochester area. Are those counties near the Hudson Valley/Albany area? My recommendation would be to go to google and type in "subaru dealers NY" and see what you get back.

Although if you wanted to get a quote to from Van Bortel to use as leverage, that wouldn't be a bad idea either as the previous post suggests.
    You can search for the closest dealer on Subaru.com. They listed 7 near me.

-juice
    Thanks everyone! I found 3 dealerships that are within 30 mins of me. This is my first time buying a car. Can anyone give me any tips and pointers on how to go about in bargaining for the price, what my aim asking price should be, what to be cautious of, etc. Any advice will be greatly appreciated!
    Easiest is probably to shop on the internet, find competitive prices, then ask them to beat it. Let them know you are a serious shopper and don't want to play games.

Check out fitzmall.com and Van Bortel Subaru, but will give you price references.

Or if you prefer, use a buying service like the one for Costco members.

Yet another option - Edmunds TMV. Take print-outs with you and ask them to match or beat that. Nice thing about those is it's regional, so they account for supply and demand.

-juice
  • tdphataktdphatak Member Posts: 2
    I'm about to buy an XS LL Bean Forester. I just got a quote from Coleman Subaru in Trenton, NJ today for $22486 for a car equipped with:

armrest extension

cargo bin

cargo net

woofer/amplifier

tweeter

rubber floor mats

includes destination charge

This of course excludes, tax, title, etc.

The offer was almost $1300 less than other offers I got (even when you compare them all with rebates taken into account).

How does this sound? I sent a price quote request to over 18 dealers using the Fax Attack technique from fightingchance.com and have to make a decision tomorrow.

It looks good to me! Any input would be great.

Thanks.
  • philliesfan2philliesfan2 Member Posts: 14
    My wife and I are giving some thought to replacing her 95 Impreza this year.

She is trying to decide between buying another Impreza or switching to a Forester.

Her car is running fine, so we are not under any pressure to get a new car, but she would like a new one after 10 years and is interested in having a safer car.

Given that we are under no pressure, what are other poster's opinions as to the best time to buy?

Are the Subaru incentives apt to increase later in the year?

Selection is good right now, which is to our advantage.

Thanks for the feedback.

David
    Sounds good for the very well equipped Beaner.

David: based on price alone, the best time to buy is the month before a new model arrives. You still have some selection, but the incentives are in full swing.

To be honest, I doubt the Forester will get more than the $2000 on the hood it has now, so if you choose that I'd say go for it now.

-juice
  • kavoomkavoom Member Posts: 181
    Subaru doesn't deal much. For research there is a dealer out of Seattle (WA)that has an unofficial research site. Cars101.com Go there first to get a feel for invoice pricing and MSRP. Do NOT even mention your trade in until you have a clear hard price on what you want.

I got my 2004 X(brand spankin NEW)yesterday. I was looking at Baja's (20,995 about best deal) could maybe go another five hundred. Forget used with the present interest rates.

Well, I found a deal I couldn't refuse. They were desperate to get rid of a 2004 X model with a stick. Invoice was 19,700. I got it for 18,959. Yee Ha!. Nailed down a good down payment as I didn't have to get a new clutch (and linkage problems), timing chain and tires (wear marks showing 75K) for a total of about 15K costs for my 99 Outback Sport with 147K miles with a bent front quarter panel also driven hard and put away wet but a wonderful wonderful auto.

So, let's see, I had around 1,500 bucks staring me (NOW) in the face on the Outback Sport, they gave me 2,200 on it (It probably under optimum conditions had a 3,200 trade in-mine not optimum). So I figure I got around 3,700 in "real" value trade in.

My favorite color is the dark forest green with the tan interior (beige). And a five speed. If I was going to custom order one, this would have been it. So much for the Baja. bye bye...

And there is NOT MUCH Difference between an 04 and 05. This is the second best deal I ever got on a car. And a 250 a month payment...

Good deal???
  • kavoomkavoom Member Posts: 181
    I just posted on getting a new 2004. You might ask around and see if there are any left that someone would trade around with your dealership...
    '06 is the face-lift; your 04 was a deal, yes.

-juice
  • papaya1040papaya1040 Member Posts: 26
    automatic with cargo tray/armrest ext/splash guard/mirror w/homelink/rear bumper cover/all weather mats.

List 29429, got it for 24800+TTL. That's more than 2k below invoice. Not much bargaining needed, I test drove almost everything there made by Subaru except STI. Salesman was very knowledgeable. He mentioned the B9 base will start at 30k, and the 3rd row seat is definitely not for adult

I found that the TMV of Edmunds and Carsdirect were a bit off.

Been looking to get an Outback XTLTD 5EAT, just can't justify spending 4k more for an Outback. For performance, Legacy GT is the choice; for functional and bang for the buck, FXT is the answer, at least for me.

Thank you all

Pete
  • hillflahillfla Member Posts: 90
    Hi -

I am in the middle of a deal to order a new 2005 XT from my dealer. He says he'll order me one however I want and it will arrive in mid-April. And if the rebates are not there - then he will refund my money and I can walk away. I am seriously considering this. I think I want a white one but there are none to be had around here (St Louis area) and he could not find any within a 7 state area! He said white is the most popular.

Anyways - to get to my question. Can I get some feedback from this forum on colors? I am considering white or silver. I currently have a silver car and I love the way it hides the dirt. Does white show or hide dirt? And having not seen a "real" white one - its tough for me to know for sure how great the Forester looks in white? I think it would look sharp in white with the XT's black interior.

Any and all comments sure would be appreciated!
    Thanks!
    IMO silver does the best job of hiding dirt with white a close 2nd. Neither color is going to exactly stand out in a crowd but then they won't attract unwanted attention from law enforcement officials when your foot gets a little heavy on the FXT's gas pedal :-)

-Frank
    I have a white Miata, and I would not recommend that color. It stains too easily, a simple leaf falling on the car when it's wet causes a tea stain.

Pollen looks yellow.

The only time it's good is when there is snow/salt on the road, and even then only the first day.

Go for silver if you want low maintenance.

-juice
  • hillflahillfla Member Posts: 90
    Thank you both very much for your inputs. I am definately swayed toward silver now. And it honestly makes my purchase easier, because there are two silver ones within 100 miles of my town. Only one problem with both of them, neither one has an armrest extension. Does anyone know if that is something that can be ordered and installed at the dealers?

Cheers!
  • mnfmnf Member Posts: 405
    You can install it in less than 5 minutes with a screw driver and two screws that come with it. Trust me if I can do it anyone can... Good Luck... Matt
  • gmode71gmode71 Member Posts: 4
    Can you share with us the price request you used in your fax attack for the XS LL Bean Forester? Was it for an automatic or manual?
    Thanks.
  • rxman01rxman01 Member Posts: 4
    I am shopping for the same car in the NYC/ Long Island Area. The best price I found was 25,588, plus tax, minus the 1300 rebate and add various fees.

I am told that this would work only until Feb 28th.

I wonder if the March Rebates will be better?

ANYONE have any Ideas at all?
  • rxman01rxman01 Member Posts: 4
    I am shopping for the same car in the NYC/ Long Island Area. The best price I found was 25,588, plus tax, minus the 1300 rebate and add various fees.

I am told that this would work only until Feb 28th.

I wonder if the March Rebates will be better?

ANYONE have any Ideas at all?
    Don't use the refresh button, it creates duplicate posts. Instead, click on "Recent Msgs".

I find that price a bit high. Try Van Bortel Subaru, they're in NY and offer no-haggle prices, likely lower than that. Then see if your dealer can match or beat it.

-juice
  • dcabdcab Member Posts: 101
    Van Bortel seems high these days. Our two local dealerships beat Van Bortel in their ads. We bought our 97 Outback from Van Bortel but stayed local our 03 Forester. Fitzgerald's is showing much lower prices on their website.
  • sweet_subiesweet_subie Member Posts: 1,394
    yes, they are way too expensive. even the 1st quote given by boston local dealers are 1,000 cheaper than vanbortel