Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Subaru Forester Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• gotsprings12gotsprings12 Member Posts: 7
    That was the total on the check. I gave them that much and they gave me the car. That included all taxes, tags, and registrations.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Cool, in that case I think you did just fine. Congrats again.

-juice
  • km24km24 Member Posts: 36
    Hi

What is a good price on a 2005 Forester XT Automatic Transmission? How good is the auto dimming mirror? Also for how long to you think subaru will continue to discount the 2005 forester into the new year?

Thanks
    Khyle
    Check out the Edmunds TMV, ask them to beat that price.

They'll discount 2005s as long as they have them. The bigger issue is, inventory will dwindle as they sell them off, I think many dealers are already out of 2005s.

So, how flexible are you about color? How risk-averse are you? If you can find a 2005 that you like, hurry and buy it, or you might miss the chance.

-juice
  • gotsprings12gotsprings12 Member Posts: 7
    I just checked the TMV vale of my car.
    Customer Cash Adjusted True Market Value $26,567

What I paid $26523
    Differance of $34 bucks.

Does that TVM take into account Taxes and Tags? If not then I saved like $1200 :)

I am not that lucky ever...
  • higgledy1higgledy1 Member Posts: 6
    Looking for pricing on a Forrester 2.5X 5-Speed. So far I've seen about 19,500 depending on a few options.
  • raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    $19,500 would be extremely fair.
  • gmariegmarie Member Posts: 6
    Yes! I've gotten a chance to drive in lots of nasty weather already and I'm SO impressed. I have a tough commute from the seacoast up to northwood and between the bridges and rt.4 (and the logging trucks!) it can be pretty hairy. I still drive like I'm in my Jetta so I haven't gotten too arrogant (and hope I don't at all) in the snow yet.

i do feel like the wipers get icy real quick. even with the handy wiperheater it seems like the blades are a bit thin. i may upgrade. I was travelling back from boston on newyear's eve and went through low-visibility snowcovered I-95 easily but for the wiper situation.

-G in NH
    Not sure, did it ask for your zip code when you calculated the TMV? If so they'd know the state tax rate.

-juice
  • jeqqjeqq Member Posts: 221
    should I buy one now or wait and see what Subaru will offer next?
  • nhroadrunnernhroadrunner Member Posts: 6
    I have an offer of $21,700 (bottom line, walk-out-the-door) for a Forester X auto with premium package. This appears to be a good deal. Any comments/opinions? Thanks.
    That almost sounds too cheap. Ask what fees they will tack on to that price. Or freight?

If you really get that price, let us know where you bought it!

-juice
    I have the offer in writing from a local dealer. Based on my research, $21.7K is a great price for this car but there are a lot of experienced Subaru owners on this forum so I want to ensure I'm not missing something.

I asked them for their bottom line, walk-out-the-door price and they responded with $21.7K "delivered" including the title/doc fee. I'm from NH so there is no sales tax.

I'm waiting to hear back from another dealer but I don't think anyone will be able to beat what I already have. Once I finalize the deal, I'll let everyone know where I bought it.

Thanks for the feedback.
  • km24km24 Member Posts: 36
    Hi
    I called subaru today and they said that they would continue to discount the 2005 model year until May when the new 2007 line comes out but it may also end sooner if they run out of inventory.

Khyle
    Juice - I bought the Forester from Manchester (NH) Subaru for $21.7K. They didn't have the color I wanted (steel gray) so they immediately made arrangements to have one delivered. Overall, it was a decent buying experience and I would recommend the dealership.

I've been driving an Accord during the past six years so the Forester is definitely a change for me.

I have a few other questions/comments which I'll post in more appropriate forums.
  • losthat1losthat1 Member Posts: 93
    Yes, agree on the wipers. Driving in sleet up Rt. 16 was tricky the other day. I was able to continue driving with a bit of ice on the wipers but saw others pulling over to scrape.

We are most fortunate in this area. Many dealers to choose from keeps competition at a premium....dealers in New England seem to work with you on price more than elsewhere!

Love my Subies!
  • kumarikumari Member Posts: 72
    I haven't been able to find any 2005 XT's left in my neck of the woods. I'm interested in finding out what all of you have been paying for the 2006 XT Limited (before tax and license). It already comes with leather and the sunroof and upgraded sound, so that only additions are special goodies like dimming rear view mirror, cargo trays and nets, etc., that I'm not interested in paying $$$ for. I've done some cross-country shopping and have found them for around $25,500. Thinking that the prices should come down when the RAV4/V6's come out because that will be some competition for them. What do you all think?

Samantha
  • p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
    Samantha- I don't see the new RAV4 significantly impacting Forester sales. $25,5k is a good price for a 2006 XT Limited. I don't think you'll see Forester prices drop much until summer when the manufacturer rebates usually kick in.

-Frank
    Most people are reporting RAV4s at MSRP, with a few exceptions (fitzmall.com is one). The V6 will be in high demand at first, too.

The Forester XT already carries a price advantage, so I'm not sure if there will be much impact.

-juice
    I've been quoted 25,400 on an '06 LL Bean. It includes splash guards, homelink, tray, net and tail piece. Price does not include tax and rebate. How does this quote stack up?

TIA
    I can practically get an XT for that LL Bean price - I think it's around $1,000-$1,500 too high. You can get the X with the Premium pkg (but no leather) for around $21,000, so is it really worth paying an additional $4000 just for a slightly altered suspension and leather seats? Oh, and a little wood on the steering wheel? I'd do some internet shopping if I were in your shoes - and call some of the dealerships in outlying areas. They're usually primed to make better deals than the ones in metropolitan areas.

Samantha
    I think there's more to the LL Bean than leather.

To me the difference between the XT and the Bean is basically the turbo. Add on auto transmission and the xtras I got and your XT runs $1000 more. (I'm assuming you were quoted a manual transmission). Your deal is about $800 below invoice which is very good. Mine is quoted around $200 below. Are people really getting Beans for $1000 to $1500 less?

BTW, my wife does not want or need the turbo. We are looking for a safe economical car that runs on regular gas.

Thanks for your input; I do appreciate it.
    I think the price you were quoting was *before* the rebate - my mistake. When I mentioned the extra price "just for the leather", I wasn't talking about the XT - I was talking about the regular, non-turbo "X" with the premium package (which includes the sunroof and 6 cd changer, but not the leather).

I'm getting an XT Limited which comes with leather, the huge moonroof and the turbo - all as standard equipment - and I've been quoted anywhere from $25,100 to $25,800 for it. Those prices are after the $1000 rebate has been taken off. and don't include tax & license. Look at the base prices for the L.L. Bean vs. the XT Limited and prorate from there to see if your deal is good. These prices are for the Forester, not the Outback.

Good luck,

Samantha
    Forgot to mention, I'm been pricing the auto trans, not the manual. And, I'm in California. I hear that you may get better deals in Colorado where there is more competition - I got some good quotes from Arizona. There may be better deals in the close surrounding states to shop and then have your local dealer meet.

BTW, I didn't want or need a turbo either, but once I drove it, I had to have it. LOL!!! I was told by my mechanic that if I don't engage the turbo, I should get the same gas mileage as with the non-turbo. That should work for me as I only drive around 3000 miles a year and it's mainly less than 5 miles from home. I will only use the turbo for passing on the freeway or those rare times when i'm driving uphill. I plan to use mid-range gas, 89 octane. No one has done this so I don't know if it will work, but the way I see it, I won't need the high octane stuff for everyday driving, only when I go on a long trip.

If I didn't need an SUV to schlep around my dogs and for home repair supplies, I would probably get one of those Toyota hybrid sedans just for the gas mileage. Or, that Highlander V6 hybrid, if it wasn't so expensive. It, however, drives like a tank, not like the zippy little Forester. I also liked the RAV4, but hated the way the dash was laid out. It also drove very well. I'm basically just getting the Forester because it has the available Turbo for when I might need it and because I like the way the interior is laid out. I hate the exterior - looks like a miniature version of one of those old SUVs from the 1960's. Very boxy and uninspired.

After I took off the $1000 from your price for the LL Bean, it looks pretty good. But, I'll bet they're gonna do better deals with more rebates, so if you can wait ......

Best of luck to you.

Samantha
  • higgledyhiggledy Member Posts: 28
    I bought a Forester 2.5X premimum pkg 5-spd for 21,757.
    I got a quote for the 2.5 5-spd w/o pp for 18,999 at Becker Subaru (outside Allentown, PA). But I bought at Sharret in Hagerstown MD, they matched Becker's for the PP but not the price on the base model. I've never owned a Subaru before, I hope they are as good as Consumer Reports claim they are.
    Samantha,

For the small difference in price of gas, I would go with the proper octane. Why play around, if the consequences could cost you more in the long run. Turbos need a little more TLC, so take good care of yours when you get one. I had an Audi 2.7 turbo and made sure to keep the oil clean and I always used high octane gas. The turbos in an Audi are always spinning and you want them to stay cool. I don't know the insides of the boxer engine so I will defer to others on that.

It sounds like your Subaru is taking you on a cross country quest:)

Jeff
  • dstew1dstew1 Member Posts: 275
    Samantha, I agree with Jeff here; the minimal benefit of saving .10/gal on gas for the life of your car does not outweigh the potential damage it could do to your vehicle.

If my calculations are correct, assuming a paltry average of 20mpg for 20,000 miles/year, giving you a 10 year lifetime up to 200,000 miles, you'd only save $1000, or $100/year. If you average a more realistic 23mpg you will save $870 over a 10yr/200k mile life. Is it worth it?

Doug
    Thanks Jeff & Doug, for the fuel advice. You're right, it does seem like I won't be saving that much on gas. I guess it'll depend on the difference between the cost of 89 vs 91 octane. I don't know that much about how cars run - now I wish I had taken auto shop in school instead of home ec! I am unaware of the danger of using 2 less octane gas when I am not using the performance aspect of the vehicle. I only drive about 3000 miles a year, so I'm not saving all that much, but I'm just very frugal. If it will cause engine problems in the long run, it's not worth it.

I'm still trying to figure out how the car will run in the rain with the water getting sucked into the turbo! LOL

Samantha
  • dstew1dstew1 Member Posts: 275
    Generally 91 octane is 10 cents more per gallon than 89 octane. If you're only driving 3000 miles per year, averaging 23mpg, you're looking at $13/year in savings. You describe yourself as frugal, but risking your new car's engine at the gain of less than $15 a year seems beyond frugal to the point of illogical, if you ask me. Especially considering you could save thousands on the front end by purchasing a non-turbo forester and surviving on simple 86 octane.

Good luck in your purchse, whatever you decide. :)

Doug
    You won't save anything on 89 vs. 91 octane due to less efficient firing.
  • daveinnycdaveinnyc Member Posts: 2
    Hi -

Anybody buy a forester around NYC recently?

I've gotten a couple quotes for a 2006 SF X via edmunds for about 20,500, including everything except tax and plates.

And for the X plus PP I've been quoted 22,572.00

Any opinions?

Thanks.
  • kavoomkavoom Member Posts: 181
    Boy, I can't believe these prices. I got a killer deal one year ago on an X manual (2004) and now I am looking for my girlfriend (she wants an X auto/Champagne Gold) and I can't get anyone to talk about anything below 21,500 for a basic X automatic in the Kansas City area (within 100 miles). I am seeing 19,000 and some change on Fitzmall, but that isn't going to work for us.

And for the person wondering about how good they are... Enjoy. My last one (second) went 147K and I only put on front brakes, one set of tires, one set of brakes, one lifter (issue), timing chain and oil and filter.

The Forester so far makes the my previous ones look bad...

I had a friend with a RAV4 wishing he had gone with a Forester big time... Not that the RAV4 was bad, but for what he paid, what he has and after driving mine and knowing what I paid, he was obviously kicking himself.
  • daveinnycdaveinnyc Member Posts: 2
    I should have mentioned -- those prices are for an automatic transmission.
  • lottarocklottarock Member Posts: 3
    I am seriously considering flying out to Maryland to pick up an '06 Forester X Premium automatic from Fitzgeralds for $22,500. When looking over the details for the vehicle, it states it comes with styled steel wheels and a single CD player, although the Premium Pkg is supposed to include alloys and multi-CD. Is this likely just a typo, or is this how fitzmall can sell so cheap, by taking out some of the goodies...?
    Thanks!
    Excellent price, Dave.
    The X Premium Package only comes one way as far as the radio goes...contact them and straighten it out. Even if you add in the doc fee it's a great price, looks to be about half of holdback and the rebate thrown in.
    I think it includes alloys, must be a typo. Call to check.

-juice
  • lottarocklottarock Member Posts: 3
    I called Fitzgerald to check. It's a typo. All Premium goodies are included.
    Anyone out there buy a 2006 Forester XT Limited auto tranny? I'm planning L.A. is sooooo expensive, maybe there are better deals out there in other states that I can use as leverage to get the dealers here in L.A. to make me a better deal.

Samantha
  • xtsfoxtsfo Member Posts: 20
    I just bought (3 weeks ago) an FXT with the manual transmission and a half-dozen options all dealer-installed. The car itself had nothing on it from the factory. I basically got the car and the options for invoice. With a 3 yr SOA maintenance plan, and including tax & license, it was $30K out the door. Since you've mentioned driving few miles per year, the maintenance plan is probably NOT a good deal for you. The time will run out long before the scheduled maintenance items are due to happen. Look very carefully at that. Also, visit www.fightingchance.com and order the Forester package. It really is worth the money primarily because it will change your FOCUS during the buying process. No kidding. Highly recommended. Last but not least, the old subaruforester.com site has moved to subaruforester.org Some sort of battle with the old hosting company. Postscript: The only thing I've added since purchase is a "SUB1715 Grillcraft Hood Scoop Insert" for $94 (including shipping) from allsubaru.com (which is actually the parts dept. of Carter Subaru in Seattle.) My FXT is Steel Grey and I ordered the black insert. It looks very stock and will keep all manner of random road debris out of the intercooler. I had my selling dealer do the installation for free. The installation is trivial anyway. It only takes about 10 minutes.
    Shop fitzmall.com to get a reference point. Print it out and take it to your dealer, ask them to match the price.

They're on the East Coast, but it does not mean you can't try to use the street price as leverage.

-juice
    Thanks for the response. Because I'm in a different state with different tax/license fees, I'm curious what the base price of the car was? And, did you get the Limited edition? And, what were the options and their costs? You're right about the maintenance plan - for me it's not really cost effective. I will probably be getting the hood scoop insert however - I've already bookmarked the page to order it!

I've been doing shipping in Calif and surrounding states and have gotten anywhere from 25,183-25,785 for the basic Forester XT Limited w/o the extras such as cargo mats, extra nets, dimming rear mirror, etc. That price is AFTER they take off the $1000 rebate, but does not include tax/license (which would probably add another $2500 to the price).

Samantha
  • jackm2jackm2 Member Posts: 1
    First time car buyer and sold on SF2.5X.

In today's Chicago-area paper, 3 Subaru dealers are showing prices of $18,995 (for a set-up with MSRP of $23,220, in some ads this number appears ). Is this like the new MSRP minus the $1000 rebate? It includes all rebates but not T,T&L or $56 document fee.

Edmunds says TMV is $1000 below MSRP not including rebates, so should I be shooting for $18,995 before T,T&L?
    Fitzmall Delivered Internet Price is just above $19K.

If this is where I want to end up, where do I start without being insulting?
    If a Forester with an MSRP of $23,220 is selling for $18,995 that's a great deal.
    I agree, jump on it quick. Under $19k is historically about as low as a Forester will go, and for that MSRP is has some options on it.

-juice
  • kzhangkzhang Member Posts: 3
    I just saw a TV ads for $2,000 manufacturer's rebate for Forester Premium Package starting from today, 1/31/2006. Can any one confirm this?

I am located at northern CA.
    The program would have ended on 1-31-06.
  • xtsfoxtsfo Member Posts: 20
    Samantha,

I just saw your reply. I'll dig up my paperwork. First, regarding the XT vs. XT Limited, I believe that all 2006 XTs are "Limited" models and that the distinction between the two existed only in prior model years. I bought mine in Redwood City at Carlsen. Of the options I purchased, the only non-trivial (e.g. cargo nets, mudflaps) ones I got were the electrochromic (auto-dimming) mirror and the column-mounted turbo gauge. I also added the rear differential protector and towing hitch.

John
    I thought I heard $1000 off, plus $1000 in "package savings", which means the group of items cost $1000 less than they would have a la carte. But that's not the same as a $2000 rebate.

-juice
  • kzhangkzhang Member Posts: 3
    I think you are right. I do see a 1000 off premium package in the sticker. So, that discount is already included in the MSRP. Right now, the best quote I got for premium package is $22600, MSRP $26177. Is this a good price? Since Subaru sales declined on the first half 2006, I think they will throw out the better rebate or incentive.