Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Subaru Forester Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Compare with prices at fitzmall.com. The prices are legit, too, just add $99 processing fee, and tax/tags. No surprises.

-juice
  • lumber1lumber1 Member Posts: 1
    I am looking, searching the internet for a 2005 used Subaru Forester LL BEAN, hard to come by but what I want, the Premium Package would be cheaper but I just favor the beans looks! I did test drive a 2003 but waiting for a newer one with less miles, after months of researching and comparing, fitzmall's price (read on here to check there prices out)$22,995 (10500mi) & dealers around my area Toledo to Chicago - $22978(12700 mi)- or $24,495 (6766 mi). Before I go to test drive again, Is there any negotiating/ leeway of these prices advertised? or do they seem fair? I will not be trading in my car (passing it on to my teenager in a few months) :shades:
  • raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    Keep looking and you'll catch someone snoozing. Subies do hold their value fairly well. I've even seen used cars sell for more than new.
  • jibjabjobujibjabjobu Member Posts: 4
    This (22600) is around the price that I've been aiming at for a X Premium. Where did you get this offer?
  • kumarikumari Member Posts: 72
    $22,600 sounds great for an X Premium! The best I was able to find in Los Angeles was just over $23,000. That $2000 off deal is just a gimmick. They have been offering a $1000 rebate on 2006's since last year and the additional $1000 is off MSRP for the Premium package only - and the MSRP is a bullsh*t price anyway. When they give a $1000 discount off "invoice" price, that will get my attention.

Anyone out there come across a great price for a 2006 XT Limited with Auto trans? I could have bought one a month ago for $25,500, but I'm thinkin' I can do better. Any thoughts?

Samantha
    $25,500 and you turned it down? That was a great offer! There was a small amount of dealer cash offered last month and it's gone now. I'm looking at a base invoice of $27,468.00 before the $25 port fee. With $1148 in holdback and $1000 rebate there isn't much wiggle room there. Last month's dealer cash was only $250 on Foresters and you had to hit a certain number of sales to get it.
  • canaligatorcanaligator Member Posts: 10
    The DEALER'S bottom line cost for the Premium is $22,899 and that includes deducting their holdback of $748.
    The $25,500 wasn't even the cheapest price I got. If I drove 100 miles out, they were talking $25,380 with two years free oil changes. If I went to an adjoining state, I could have gotten one for $25,185 or so. That's why I didn't take the $25,500 deal. Plus, it included a rear bumper cover and something called a "shock sensor" that they couldn't even explain to me. I didn't want to pay for these extra goodies and I can afford to wait until they're giving better prices or more rebates. I didn't know about the dealer "holdback" amounts. The salesman should have told me that at the time. To be perfectly honest, I don't even know what a "dealer holdback" is!

This all went down the week before New Year's and he told me that he was giving me this deal because the salesmen would get a bonus if they sold a certain number of cars before the end of the year. I walked because I didn't want to pay the $200 for those two "extras" mentioned above.

If your base invoice price is $27,468, does the car have those expensive goodies like cargo mats, nets, dimming mirror, etc? That would explain the extra costs.

Oh well, I still have a car to drive and the cash for the new one, so I can always make a deal somewhere. I hate buying new cars anyway (prefer used), so that $25,500 was making me choke anyway. I can't find a private party used vehicle.
    No extras, we're talking XT Limited Automatic here, right?

The invoice gets squished together but here it is:

Subaru of New England Inc.
    Vehicle Detail Invoice
    2/8/2006 7:16:39 AM
    Dealer Number: 010-000
    Subaru xxxxxxxx
    xxx xxxxx xxx
    xxxxx xxxxxx xxxx

Ship / Allocation: 260/1031
    Load Number: 9732 Massachusetts\Connecticut - OK
    Delivery Date: 12/28/2005
    Vehicle Description
    Vehicle Identification Number: JF1-SG696X 6H723229
    Model Code: 6FL
    Model Description: 2006 Forester XT 4EAT 2.5 Turbo Prem. Pkg
    Transmission: AWD ">
    Exterior Color: GRC Crystal Gray Metallic
    Factory Accessory: RL AW/FL/Cruise/Auto AC/Side Airbag/AWP/MR/LTHR
    Body Type: XT
    Ignition Key:
    Engine Number: 0

Port Accessories
    Dealer Cost Suggested List
    Base Price 27468.00 28695.00
    HB5740000
    Port Fee 25.00
    MSV 28.00 WHEEL LOCKS 42.00

Suggested Retail Price 28737.00
    Transportation and Handling 625.00

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Total Dealer Cost 27521.00 Total Suggested List 29362.00
    I'm on the West coast. And wondering if these cost more in New England? If the dealer cost is truly $27,521, how can they afford to give the $1000 rebate, down to $26,521 - and then discount it even further?

P.S. to everyone looking to buy a Subaru - I found out through the "grapevine" that there is a good chance they're going to have a MAJOR sales event in March. I'm waiting 'til then to see what deals they are offering.
    They're only making a little holdback and perhaps some extra volume cash if they had the same stairstep program we did last month. I don't have a crystal ball to tell you about any March programs, in fact they want us to be among the last to know. Watch inventory levels...I've seen people wait past the best deals thinking things would only get better.
  • kavoomkavoom Member Posts: 181
    I've been looking at an X automatic for my girlfriend. I have an 04. Of interest on used is that the buyer for the dealership said one of their problems (they have 2 04's on the lot) is that used are so expensive to buy and then sell that they just sit on the lot as people say what the heck, I'll just buy new for the extra 2K and get a better rate and not lose the 20+K miles on the used. The new car sales people were just smiling...
  • au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,381
    While browsing the dealer lot this Sunday, I noticed a few cars with a banner that said 'pre-price increase'. Is this just delaer hype or is there really a price increase coming?

I would not think this to be a smart move as Subarus is struggling in the market right now.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

They usually have a price increase at the first of the year, it could be that these cars came in before then.
  • kavoomkavoom Member Posts: 181
    I'm glad we waited. There is a 2,000 incentive this month vs the 1,000 in February.
    Move fast, I remember the last time they did this the rebate got yanked before everyone was ready.
  • hooplehoople Member Posts: 12
    OK! Getting ready to pull the trigger

Auto
    splash guards
    cargo net
    cargo tray
    rear bumper protector
    luggage rack strips
    auto-dim mirror

$20,166 Plus tax, dest, docs

Includes the $2000 rebate

New Jersey

Any thoughts? Good Deal?
    Smoke
  • bearjjjbearjjj Member Posts: 4
    xfsfo,

I got my FXT last week, with 26500 w/o other fees, I am also interested in "SUB1715 Grillcraft Hood Scoop Insert", but I found it said for 2004 - 2005 XT, I wonder if it fit into 06 model? Thank you,

BTW, no more incentive down for March.
  • pisulinopisulino Member Posts: 78
    Well...happy for you about the $2,000 rebate.
    The question is what is the base price they do the discount from.

Dealers are not there to lose money.

They may sell cars in Jan/Feb for 22,500 after a $1,000 rebate.

and then,

In March for 22,500 after a $2,000 rebate.

So you should know the actual price at all times, otherwise the rebate could be just a fictitious claim.
    I got my FXT last week, with 26500 w/o other fees, I am also interested in "SUB1715 Grillcraft Hood Scoop Insert", but I found it said for 2004 - 2005 XT, I wonder if it fit into 06 model? Thank you,

BTW, no more incentive down for March.

Thanks for the price info, bearjjj! What additional equipment does your FXT have on it? (homelink, compass, cargo tray, etc.?) And, is this price of $26,500 BEFORE or AFTER they take the $1000 or $2000 rebate? So then it would really be $25,500 or maybe $24,500? And, is it an FXT LIMITED? (not sure if they still make a "regular" FXT).

This info is REALLY important to me as I still haven't purchased my FXT yet. I'm still waiting for the best deal/rebate to come down. I, too, will be getting the hood scoop insert, so I'm interested in your info on that as well. Have already got between $200-300 in Subie bucks accrued and haven't even bought the car yet!! ;)
    include splash guards and rear diff proctor and lifetime oil change, no other options,
    the price is final price after 1000 rebate, all 06' XT is limited,

as somebody said before, subaru increased price, if you can find a car made before Jan 06, then you can get hundreds bucks down. I guess next price adjustment may be in June or July when subaru release 07's .

good luck!

Does anyboy also install the hood scoop insert? Plese share your experience, Thank you very much!

;)

BTW I am in New England
  • mpolompolo Member Posts: 3
    We have a 2005 Forester 2.5X and want to upgrade the speakers.

What brand would you recommend, and where can I get them?

Thanks,
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,846
    Since this is a pricing discussion, you'll probably have a better shot at an answer here:
    Subaru Forester

Or...here:

Subaru Crew - Modifications II

regards,
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Plus destination? Only fair, there are a lot better out there.

And there's only one "r" in Forester.
    Thanks bearjjj,

I hope I didn't miss the boat. I could have gotten the '06 XT Limited with rear bumper cover and security system shock sensor (whatever that is) for $25,500 (this was the price after the $1000 rebate) in the last week of December 2006 and I didn't take it. Thought I could get a better deal if I waited a few months, plus I didn't want to pay $$$ for the security shock sensor. BTW, what the heck is a "rear diff proctor"???

The dealer ordered one for me with only the rear bumper cover and I'm waiting for the best price.

I read someone's post about the hood scoop insert. I think he had the dealer install it and it was very easy. I plan on buying one too. I'm wondering how they can sell the car without this protective piece of equipment as standard - or at least available as a dealer installed option. Seems to me to be more useful than most of the junk they do offer. If I don't install it, won't all kinds leaves and junk get sucked in the hood scoop???
    The dealer ordered one for me with only the rear bumper cover and I'm waiting for the best price.

You ordered it and still shopping?
    for AWD car, there is a device so that all four wheels can run together, rear diff proctector is a cover to protect it.

there is a filter under hood scoop, it's no hurt have another filter installed. I will talk with my dealer next week about that. Thank you!

Hope you get a deal for your subi!
  • turboturtleturboturtle Member Posts: 2
    I've been offered a new 2006 Subaru Forester LL
    Bean Edition with Popular Equipment Group 1 (MSRP
    $27,809) for $26,112. This does NOT include a rebate.

Two dealers and Edmunds say that dealer invoice is $25,812 for this model, package and destination.

According to another dealer who does not have any LL Beans available, this is $300 over invoice and a fair price. This dealer also said, if he had a LL Bean available, he wouldn't go less than one percent over invoice.

Comments/suggestions?
    You ordered it and still shopping?

Yeah, the general manager happened to be ordering more cars just to keep on hand, when I was on the phone with him, so I asked if he could order an XT Limited fairly stripped from all the add-ons and they're getting one in. Supposed to have been here already, but there was a screw-up. It's not being ordered specifically for me. If I don't buy it, someone else will.

Geez, by the time they get in the car I want, it'll be time for the 2007's to come in. Don't they arrive in July sometime? I'm wondering now if I should just wait - unless they take off $2000 from the invoice price for the 06.

Now, I just need to know what the best price is on this car from others around the country, so I will have negotiating leverage. ;)
    Finding out what others paid around the country will only give you a headache, there are too many people who will embellish on the deal they got. Send an email to a few dealers in your area and see what they'll part with.
  • p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
    Now, I just need to know what the best price is on this car from others around the country, so I will have negotiating leverage.

Raybear's right... too many variables. The number one factor that determines price is supply and demand and that can vary widely from one part of the country to another.

If you want, you can go to Fitzmall's website and find out their price for a comparably equipped Forester (FitzMall has some of the lowest no haggle prices you'll find anywhere). However, your dealer could easily laugh and tell you if you want that good a deal you should feel free to drive to DC to get it :P

-Frank
  • jeqqjeqq Member Posts: 221
    Samantha,

It sounds like this dealer is setting you up. When you buy a car you need to put it in writing. Leave a deposit and lock in your price. Also the best deal may not be the best deal in the long run. Buy the car from a reputable dealer that is convenient to get to for service, for the best price you can get. Dealers usually take better care of customers that bought cars from them; which in the long run will save you more money on the back end than up front?

Jeff
    It sounds like this dealer is setting you up. When you buy a car you need to put it in writing. Leave a deposit and lock in your price

Jeff, thanks for your suggestions, but the dealer is definitely NOT setting me up. The manager of the dealership knows I won't pay for options that I don't want or need, so it's to his benefit to order this car - he was ordering more cars for the lot anyway.

Why in the world would I want to leave a deposit and "lock" in a price if they will get me the car I want w/o my tying up any money of my own? Plus, if a better rebate comes along, I would be locked into the higher price! The last thing I want is to buy the car this month and find out if I waitied 2 or 3 weeks, I could have gotten it for $1000 less. At this time of the year, prices will only adjust down, not up! The new ones will be coming out soon, so they have to move the existing inventory. They had the sale on the X Premium, now it's $2000 off on the regular X model - a sale on the XT Limited is probably right around the corner. The XT's are not huge sellers. Most of the dealers in my area have lots of them just sitting on their lots. I have a feeling there will be a lot of motivation to sell them in the near future.

All I really want to know is what the LOWEST price (after the $1000 rebate) that anyone has paid for an 06 FXT and with what equipment. My lowest in the area is $25,500 - a little farther away I can get one for $25,200-25,300. That's after the $1000 rebate for a stripped XT Limited. No extras.
    there's an old Wall Street saying. Bulls and bears go home laughing; pigs go home crying.

BTW

When you place an order for the car you can negotiate that if the price goes lower upon delivery they will pass it along to you. Fitz seems to have about the lowest prices, use them for your comparison. Good luck and happy hunting:)
  • p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
    Dealers usually take better care of customers that bought cars from them

I disagree. While this is a commonly held belief, service and sales depts usually operate independently from one another. Also, warranty service is reimbursed by the manufacturer and for non-warranty service, one paying customer is pretty much the same as the next :)

-Frank
    Based on my own personal experience I have not found this to be true.

Jeff
    The service department at the dealership I work for does give slightly preferential treatment to customers who have bought cars from us and the sales department is quicker to give a better deal to a service regular.
  • poodog13poodog13 Member Posts: 320
    At this time of the year, prices will only adjust down, not up! The new ones will be coming out soon, so they have to move the existing inventory.

Not necessarily true....as we move out of late winter and into spring, some foreign makers pull incentives because the showroom traffic picks up naturally.
  • mknappmknapp Member Posts: 13
    I just got this quote from a dealership in Portland, Oregon and I was wondering if this is a decent deal or if I could get it a bit cheaper. My local dealer(Bend) says he will match any Oregon dealership quote......we'll see! :confuse:

2006 Forester 2.5 X with Premium Package:

Subaru Factory added options on this vehicle:
    Popular equipment group 1E
    Cargo tray, bumper cover and splash guards.
    Also tweeter and tail pipe cover.

AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION
    Manufacturers Suggested Retail Price: $27,003.00

Manufacturers Suggested Retail Price w/ Discount: $26,003.00

Dealer Invoice cost $24.203.00

YOUR WHOLESALE PRICE: $22,595.00 (includes rebates/incentives if any)
  • dirtbagdirtbag Member Posts: 57
    $22,595 sounds very good for that car. I've been quoted $210 less for a Forester with the exact same equipment, except with manual transmission. Sounds like I should talk them down a bit more.
  • mnfmnf Member Posts: 405
    If its Carr Subaru in Beaverton Oregon they have been one of the best priced in the NW area . In 2004 I received e-mail quotes from Portland , Seattle, and Spokane they were the lowest. I then asked the three dealers in my area to see if they would match and one did.

Good Luck...
    Price sounds about right to me.

-juice
  • dnau12dnau12 Member Posts: 4
    This price seems very low to me. Comsumer reports says the dealer holdback on the Forester 2.5 X is $748 below invoice. What am I missing here? For the dealer to be able to sell this car for $1608 under invoice when the holdback is only $748 does not seem feasible for the dealer in the long run. What other hidden profits are built in for the dealer? Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks
    There's a $2000 rebate. Still an exceptional deal.
  • dirtbagdirtbag Member Posts: 57
    Only $1000 on the X Premium.
    So you are getting the full $1000 incentive plus $608 of his $748. He makes a whopping $140 for all his time, plus whatever quota it helps him meet and future service.

Seems more than fair to me.

-juice
    Hi,

Thanks for the feedback. I was able to get my local dealer to match the price given by Carr, but he says he wants me to finance through Subaru. I thought that was a bit of an odd request, but I guess more money for Subaru.
    Find out what rate your bank would give you, then say as long as he beats it, you've got a deal. Why not? It's more convenient for you because he can arrange it on the spot.

-juice
    Sure.....that makes sense. It could be a win/win situation. Thanks! :)
  • jeffmcjeffmc Member Posts: 1,742
    We were pre-approved through Boeing Employees Credit Union when we purchased nearly two years ago. They've generally got great rates. Subaru (Chase) was able to beat the BECU rate, so we went with them and have no regrets. Perhaps there's some incentive for the dealer if Subaru financing is used.