Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and earlier-Subaru Impreza and Impreza WRX STI Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    ndsax707ndsax707 Member Posts: 30
    I'm looking at an '05 WRX and I'm curious about your opinion. My best offer so far is $24,600 for the following options:

Premium package
    Turbo boost gauge
    Short throw shifter
    Titanium shift knob
    SPT exhaust - (anybody have this? is it worth getting or should I go aftermarket?)

How good of a price is this? I'd really like to get it under $24k.
  • Options
    njswamplandsnjswamplands Member Posts: 1,760
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    You're close enough to Fitzgerald that I would compare prices with fitzmall.com. Do a search for Impreza and see if you can beat that quote.

-juice
  • Options
    ndsax707ndsax707 Member Posts: 30
    Hey Juice,

That is the quote from Fitz. I'm trying to see if anyone thinks I can get a better deal. I'm also seeing if any dealers can beat it locally. I'm using your recommended sales person, MW, and he's been all class so far. Thanks for the advice.
  • Options
    LOL!

My bad...
  • Options
    sugarlandscotsugarlandscot Member Posts: 4
    On March 31 I signed a great lease deal on a 2005 WRX STi from West Houston Subaru - the whole deal took just a couple of e-mails and 90 minutes in the showroom. No pressure, no add-ons just an honest deal. I paid less than $600 down and drove away in an STi with 12 miles on the clock. West Houston Subaru also took my Audi A4 cabriolet and settled the balance on the old lease. All in all a painless and entirely pleasant experience. I would highly recommend this dealer. See other topic for my impressions of the car - in one word WHOOOOOSH!!!!
  • Options
    oomanamemnioomanamemni Member Posts: 1
    I'm currently in the process of trying to get a WRX. I own a 2003 GTI VR6 and am going to sell. I was wondering if it's possible to get a WRX Obsidian black pearl with only a security system upgrade for around 21700 + ttl?
  • Options
    byronwalterbyronwalter Member Posts: 220
    Best of luck with that STi. I've driven the '05's and think they are great. Like you I have an Audi A4 and am considering another Audi or perhaps the STi. Since my '02 A4 Avant is still under warranty I'm trying to stay put. The Avant is just so practical and good looking. Handles great with the sports suspension too. But the STi has the guts... love the sound of the engine! I guess we don't really want to even mention that 1.8 turbo in the A4:).
  • Options
    sugarlandscotsugarlandscot Member Posts: 4
    There are a couple of things I miss about the A4 - firstly the Bose stereo - it was awesome! Secondly some of the little toys like the remote-operated trunk release and the electric front seats; and finally all the clever electronic gizmos in the dash....however it just had no oooomph - and nothing compares with getting behind the wheel of the STi. However once when my A4 was in the garage I was given an A4 allroad as a loaner - that was a great car - 2.7 turbo and as tight as a duck's posterior! I was sorry to hand it back! I wonder if the S4 is worth trying? However for the money I still think the STi is unbeatable!
  • Options
    Isn't there one on the STi? Or did they remove that to save on weight?

-juice
  • Options
    I'd keep the 20k and drive the STi rather than the S4. Other than the so so gas mileage you just can't beat the STi.
  • Options
    bluewolfbluewolf Member Posts: 101
    Considering the RS $189/mo sign & drive lease. Since the money factor, residual value and payment amount are all predetermined, should I worry about negotiating the price of the car up front? :confuse:

Also, as much as I'd like to look at the sport pkg RS or even a basic WRX, the 2.5 RS with $500 dealer cash plus $1000 lease cash is really hard to pass up for a reliable daily driver at a low monthly payment.

Coming from a VW Jetta 1.8T, so if anyone can compare the two, I'd appreciate that.
  • Options
    The engine is fairly torquey, so it does its job well even with automatic trannies.

0-60 around 7.7s or so last time I looked.

Payment sounds good.

-juice
  • Options
    bluewolfbluewolf Member Posts: 101
    Thanks to the WRX I guess, insurance is high on the RS as well... nearly $400/yr higher than my VW turbo. The Forester is lower, and so is the 9-2X.
  • Options
    Get a quote on the Forester XT. Turbo engine without the boy-racer look (or insurance demographic).

-juice
  • Options
    fonzomonzofonzomonzo Member Posts: 2
    Hoping to get some opinions on these 2 choices:

1. Silver Sti, w/: floormats, upgraded alarm, wheel locks: 33,403> out the door

2. Grey STi,w/: short throw, upgraded alarm, wheel locks, floormats: 33,887> otd

I live in San Francisco and tax is a murderous 8.5%

What would you guys do? Are either of these reasonable considering it's already May? :confuse:
    thanks
  • Options
    You can get an STi shift lever for about $100-120 or so, so I'd pick #1.

-juice
  • Options
    5spot5spot Member Posts: 7
    Interesting to hear your opinion on the Allroad, A6 by the way, not A4 (unless this is a secret new model?). I recently sold a Cayenne S, and put my wife in an Allroad (2.7T) and find it a superb spacious comfort car, but definitely not a tight handler. In fact that is my criticism of it.

Meanwhile, I am contemplating selling our Volkswagen R32 (absolutely fabulous car), and replacing by slightly more practical WRX wagon (bikes on roof, stuff in back). When will the 2.5 WRXs be available?
  • Options
    Supposedly this fall. We'll see.

-juice
  • Options
    cartfan1cartfan1 Member Posts: 4
    One of my buddies from high school works at a local Subaru dealer and he gave me a 48 mo. lease price of about $356/month at 3.75% (.00156 I would assume?) w/1500 down, plus TTL with MT, compass/dimming mirror and spoiler. I told him I didn't need the prem. package. He put me on the corporate pricing where I pay 1.9% over invoice, does this sound like a good deal? After reading some posts, I'm not so sure. I would hope he'd give me a great deal since I know him rather well. He's selling me the car for about $2000 below sticker, am I being a cheap SOB?
    :confuse:
  • Options
    The starting price sounds fair, but what residual are they using?

Subaru announced a lease for the Tribeca that is under $320 a month, so to me that sounds kinda high.

-juice
  • Options
    cartfan1cartfan1 Member Posts: 4
    I called him back today and asked if Subaru gave extra discounts for extra options. I hinted that I might now be considering the Premium Package. He said the payment would go up about $25/month, bt then he said I'll se if we can play with the residual. So you may be right on the ball.
  • Options
    corockgirlcorockgirl Member Posts: 1
    I wouldnt buy a car in San Diego these days. Definatly say transport it to CA. The cost of living in San Diego is so much higher.
    It is a good all around car...I think you will enjoy driving it wherever you drive it. Remember they (recommend) only putting super unleaded in this car. When I was in Diego last month with my STI I paid right around $2.80-$2.95 a gallon for super unleaded. Enjoy your ride (I do)
    Rain :shades:
  • Options
    subyctsubyct Member Posts: 4
    I saw a 2005 STi at a dealer in Branford, Connecticut with 4,200 miles on it. Grey with gold wheels. Dr. bought the car and traded it.
  • Options
    formulaveeformulavee Member Posts: 14
    Hi, I'm new to the forum and have an insurance question. What sort of bump are you seeing in insurance for an STi (% increase of your old premium on something basic). For instance, I am a 31 year old male, married, driving a 2000 Moutaineer with V8, no tickets. What sort of bump up might I see?

Thanks!
  • Options
    I checked the hit out last fall and don't recall the exact numbers but I think it was around 33% for me. I presently drive an '02 Audi A4 1.8t Avant and have a squeaky-clean record. The STi comes in very close to a new Corvette. Just make sure that, if you do buy the STi, your 10 year old son doesn't take it out for a joy ride :P
  • Options
    formulaveeformulavee Member Posts: 14
    Thanks Byron, I appreciate the response. I figured it would be about that.
  • Options
    aiyerkaiyerk Member Posts: 1
    Hey,
    I have an offer for the '05 STi for 30K, with the floor mats, compass/dimmer mirror, wheel locks and the upgraded security system. At first I found it hard to believe, but I wanted to get a second opinion. I went to the dealership and looked at the car and evrything seems genuine. The car is platinum silver.

Thanks
    Kartik
  • Options
    Check the miles, if it's not a demo it's a deal.

-juice
  • Options
    hetchiehetchie Member Posts: 3
    A local dealer offered me a 24-month lease for an RS wagon with auto for $3,000 out of pocket, $250 a month, incuding 5% tax. Seems a bit high -- any thoughts? What would be a reasonable range? Thanks.
  • Options
    girmanngirmann Member Posts: 26
    Cash deal - no trade, no financing.

'05 WRX wagon (WR blue), manual, no other options. $20620 + $240 conveyance, tax, title, regs.

It's got 50 miles. Looking over the shoulder of the salesperson, I saw that it's been on the lot since 2/26. I can't think of a reason not to go for it.

I went in for an '06 Impreza 2.5i wagon, black, automatic, dust deflector, cargo tray, and wheel locks. $18445 + $240+ TTR.

Which do you think I should go for? I liked both (for much different reasons) Wife doesn't want to know about it if I bring home a manual... ;)

OK. Maybe I CAN think of a reason not to go for the WRX.

Mark
  • Options
    threesinthreesin Member Posts: 50
    Mark,

I currently own an '03 WRX, MT, and an '05 WRX, AT, along with a '00 OBS MT. I've regretted buying the AT right from the git-go, that's how I ended up with the '03. I found a good deal. Don't get me wrong, the AT is a good ride, but it's not a "fun" ride, IMHO.

I've found the '00 OBS with the 2.2L engine easier to drive through the curves because of the even power curve available. In order to use the power of the WRX, you have to be at or near 3K RPM, which means really keeping the revs up in the turns.

The '06 WRX with the 2.5 turbo and 230 HP is suppose to resolve this situation, and I was going to trade for a new WRX. And then gas went well over $3/gal for premium fuel. While there really isn't that much difference in the reported gas mileage for the NA & turbo vehicles, the turbo requires premium. In our area that's twenty cents/gal more than regular. That equates to about $2-$3 more per fill up. While this forum isn't for discussing economic issues, I can't see gas ever returning to the levels we once knew, not with the growth of auto ownership in China.

I decided that the WRX is a "luxury" I can live without. The cost of insurance is another issue which has already been discussed previously.

I will say that the WRX is a blast to drive, and I'm glad that I've done it. In fact, I'll probably hang on to the '03 WRX as my token "hot rod", but it wont be my daily driver.

Of course this is all just one person's opinion, and I'm sure there are many more out there. But that's the beauty of this forum.

Terry
  • Options
    Hmm... I guess my problem is, I can't aofford a new '06 WRX, but this '05 fell in my lap.

I've gone over the pros and cons in my head and I just can't decide. I have wanted a WRX since about 2000. If it were just me I could do it, there are a whole bunch of family things that enter into the equation. Like if I wanted to take the kids, I'd have to move the car seats since the wife can't drive a manual.

It would be a lot more money, both in fuel and insurance - especially since I drive a long way to work. Even though it's only $2k more OTD.

I also know that I'm getting older (well, okay... I'm 31...) and I don't know how much longer I'm going to WANT a manual...

Maybe I should move this to the "Help me decide" board.

As far as the deal goes. Can you think of why a dealer is trying to sell a new 05 WRX for that price?

Mark
  • Options
    raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    If it's truly a new '05 I have no idea why they are giving you that deal, I'd say go for it!
  • Options
    Mark,

I too wanted a WRX when they hit the mkt in '02, but I couldn't rationalize the $6k increase over the OBS, so I bought the OBS. I regretted that decision for the entire 2 years that I kept the car. (Traded it for my wife's '05 Legacy GT.)

After getting rid of the OBS I did the same thing again and bought another OBS. I'm a slow learner:-( A day later I saw a great deal on a WRX. I agonized for two days and nights before deciding if I didn't do it then, I might never have the chance again. (I'm older than twice your age!) With that decision, I traded the OBS I'd had for two days on the '05 WRX, AT. Hummm..........Another mistake.

I didn't and don't have your home life circumstances. Only you know what the consequences of your decision will be in your home life. But if you can live with those consequences and the added gas and insurance costs, I'd say go for it. Life is really short, so you ought to go first cabin when you can.........Good Luck

Terry
  • Options
    Mark,

As for the actual deal on the car, there are numerous reasons for selling at that price; and they're probably all economics: 1) The new models are out with a totally different engine and look; 2) The car has been on the lot for 7 months+/-; 3) In the past, dealers actually financed their inventory, and after a certain time period, 60-90 days, they started paying more interest on those loans.

As you can see, it's in the dealer's best interest to move that car ASAP.

Terry
  • Options
    Terry,

Okay, then the only other problem I have is that it WOULD be my daily driver... Hmm....

Mark
  • Options
    My WRX deal is officially done. Kaput. Fini.

The car seats don't fit.

Oh man, this sucks.

I only need 2 more inches of legroom to make it fit... can't they just add 2 inches to the car? How difficult could that possibly be?

So I admintted that it didn't fit. Now I have to look for something else. I can't believe it. They even let me take it home to make sure.... course they do have my deposit...

I even thought about buying new car seats...

AAARRRGGGHHH!!! Four years waiting... and now...

:cry:

Mark

I'm still in mourning...
  • Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Mark, what about a Legacy GT? Yeah, it's more expensive, but the car seats should fit, and it's still a hoot to drive.

You could get a great deal on a leftover '05 model if you hurry.

Bob
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,185
    Get new car seats... :surprise:

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    See if you can modify the seat track itself.

At least one Outback owner was able to remove a detent and get the seat to move back an extra inch or two. That may have been only for power seats, but it's worth a look.

On my Miata, I put washers as spacers to raise the front of the seat track. I had to get longer bolts, too, but it fit, and gives me a little thigh support. The bent knee creates more room, too.

Just some ideas.

-juice
  • Options
    zhengjdczhengjdc Member Posts: 1
    I am about to buy a subaru impreza 2.5i wagon right now, coz my old camry totally acted up! my aim is the basic, with manual tranny , no extras!, what's the best price I can get? I live in Scarborough, any suggestion will be very appreciated, coz tomorrow I have to talk to the dealer!

thank you all those who drop a line or 2!
  • Options
    skydvejamskydvejam Member Posts: 1
    OK I have a 2003 WRX that I just picked up 2 days ago, how old are your kids? I have a 2 year old and her car seat fit in that just fine. Granted I just got a booster because she is the right size for it and it gave her some more leg room, my wife LOVES this car, too bad I am heading back to Iraq for a few months, but I know what I have to look forward to when we get back. Instead of soldiers not wanting to ride in SGT. Pitman's (that is me) little truck, now they will find reasons for me to drive them, and I will be more then happy to. Granted now I think that they have made the rear a little smaller, and it is tight in the 2003, try looking for a used one if you need a little more room, these cars are GREAT!!!!
  • Options
    tinycadontinycadon Member Posts: 287
    I was looking through my owners manual for the 2006 impreza 2.5i and it says that oil changes are every 7 1/2 months or 7,500 miles (depending on easy/hard driving habits). Can this be right, 7,500 miles for your first oil change?
  • Options
    If you are on the Schedule B. Make sure you read the fine print, most people should be on Schedule A, 3750 mile intervals.

Hard to keep track of, I know. Get those windshield stickers from your local auto supply place. I get them from Advance Auto Parts since I buy my oil there usually.

-juice
  • Options
    raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    I think they recommend 3,000 miles; I'd go every 3,750.
  • Options
    My kids are 3 and 1. We have those huge Britax jobbies, so that was the problem. Two weeks and the purchase of a Mazda3 later, I realized I should have asked for another $400 off the price and I could have bought car seats that fit... :cry:

Live and learn (and buy a WRX next time...) (...or is that a B5?)

Mark
  • Options
    alobster7alobster7 Member Posts: 17
    Why do you say "if it's not a demo it's a deal." Are demos bad?
  • Options
    Not necessarily, they're just worth less, because they've been used a bit. There are laws about how many miles specify what's still "new" and what is a demo, which is technically a used car.

If you see a test drive car, even with 400 miles or so, I doubt those miles were gentle. I'd try to find one with 15 miles or less, i.e. delivery miles only.

-juice
  • Options
    alobster7alobster7 Member Posts: 17
    This was in FAQ at Beat the car salesman.com:

What is the difference between a "demonstrator" car and a used car? Aren't they both considered used?

A demonstrator (or demo) car is a new car that has been driven by the dealership's salesmen, managers or executives but has never been registered.

A used car is any car that has been registered.

Rule Of Thumb: Once a vehicle has been registered, it is legally considered "used". If the vehicle has never been registered (regardless of how many miles are on it), the vehicle is legally considered "new."

It looks like LEGALLY a demo is a NEW car. What is your opinion of this scenario - A customer test drives an 05 special edition vehicle. It has 1000 miles on it. This is troubling to the customer, however, the salesman offers a MASSIVE price break and a special deal. The car is super nice and has some features that aren't on 06.

In additon, they are not making an SE in that same vehicle in 06. Do you think it is wise not to discuss the deal because there are 1000 miles on the car?

Thanks for your time.