Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Subaru Impreza and Impreza WRX STI Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• jeffmcjeffmc Member Posts: 1,742
    No longer offering automatic tranny? That'd be pretty surprising to me. What it could hint at is introduction of the upcoming continuously variable transmission, a change to a 5-spd automatic, or simply the end of the '08 production run. Either transmission change could also debut with the '09 model year.

I searched my dealer's usually large inventory... they've got 18 WRX sedans, but only 1 automatic out of the bunch (black, by the way). If you want to buy now, my advice is to ask your dealer quickly to do a dealer trade to get your car.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Make sure it's just a clutch first.

Inspect for the common problem areas - wheel bearings and head gaskets.

With 200k miles, I would probably have a mechanic do a full inspection, with compression tests for each cylinder.
  • merrycynicmerrycynic Member Posts: 340
    A high performance CVT is very, very interesting!
  • terpfan30terpfan30 Member Posts: 7
    Dealership in Scottsdale, AZ is offering $27,225 for 08 WRX w/Navigation & Satellite Radio package + the following options:

Sport Trim (Body side molding & sport grille), Auto dimming mirror & compass, Security Shock Sensor, Subwoofer, Center Armrest Extension, & Short Throw Shifter.

After TTL & $399 doc fee (Isn't this high for a doc fee??), OTD it would be $30,171. Is this a good deal? Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks!
    Yeah, who knows where they'll implement the CVT... Impreza, WRX, Outback, maybe everything or maybe one or two models. FHI said they were stopping R&D on other types of automatic transmissions to focus on CVT, so I think they're pretty confident this technology will be their future direction. It'll definitely be interesting to see what happens.
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Subaru has always been a very conservative company. That being the case, my guess is that it will be a 2-step process. I expect to see CVTs appear first on mainstream 2.5 Subies first. Once they have proven themselves we should expect a HD version for higher-output engines. Again, just a guess on my part.

Bob
    "Once they have proven themselves we should expect a HD version for higher-output engines."

Yeah, typically, but how long can they wait? How long can they keep using a 4-spd auto on the turbos? Maybe they'd bring CVT into the n.a. models and bump the turbos up to the 5-spd auto. The turbos could really benefit from properly implemented CVT technology, IHMO. Could keep the RPMs in the fat part of the range when you want boost and could also really help the fuel numbers.
  • merrycynicmerrycynic Member Posts: 340
    Exactly. With proper sensors and chips, a CVT might be capable of improving utlimate performance, improve fuel economy and everything in between.
  • darius_darius_ Member Posts: 3
    I'm picking up a Subaru Impreza WRX w/ Automatic Transmission, which includes the Premium Package and the Mirror Dimmer/Compass, for $24,900. MSRP $28,287, invoice $26,622, OTD estimate $27,428. This below invoice price eats up the $1,000 dealer incentive and appears to eat into the dealer holdback. Is there any reason I should think that this isn't a good deal?

I'm trying to decide whether the 100k mile extended warranty is worthwhile - any advice from existing WRX owners? Anyone know what the dealer cost/margin is for extended warranties? Can the manufacturer extended warranty be purchased after vehicle acquisition, and from an alternate dealer?

I'm in Washington state.

Thanks.
    The warranty can be purchased from any dealer, and can be purchased any time up until the original 3/36 warranty expires.

Your price sounds good to me. :) What dealer?
  • darius_darius_ Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the warranty information. I worked through the Internet department at Chaplin's Automotive Group in Bellevue. Ray Pomerinke was the sales manager. Joe Spitz at Carter's Subaru had an equally competitive offer, but on a lesser desired configuration.
    I just purchased an '08 WRX with the Navigation & Satellite radio package. The model included the sport grille & body side moldings, subwoofer, auto dimming mirror/compass, and short throw shifter + 3 months free satellite radio. I also managed to get them to throw in 2 free oil changes, a $20 gas card, all weather floor mats, wheel locks, and a WRX keychain for free, we settled on $27k flat, got 3.9% financing through the dealership. I think I got a pretty sweet deal, anyone care to offer an opinion?
    Is it worth it to get any extended warranties?
  • tunatamertunatamer Member Posts: 3
    Four Door. Includes Sport Grille and Side Molding. $26,600....In NY.
    How did I do?

Funny, I had 2 dealers said they couldn't have the car built and this one said "No Problem". I wonder which one is giving me run around.
    I got the premium + navi & satellite radio package for just $400 more ($27k flat), also included sport grille & body side moldings plus a few other things...but I am not in NY, I'm in AZ so I dunno how much of a difference that makes but I'm sure there's a regional difference...
  • tunatamertunatamer Member Posts: 3
    From what I see the nav isn't available with the auto tranny for some reason. Is this so? I live on Long Island so the manual is a royal pain in traffic. Been there. No fun...
    Oh ya, I never even looked for an automatic so I'm not really familiar with what's available w/anything but the manual's, but definitely, I think where you are you have to go auto...
  • alvamalvam Member Posts: 3
    I am looking to buy an '08 Impreza with Premium package and the dealer gave me the following deal: "The MSRP on the vehicle is $20,303 and the dealer invoice cost is $19302 and you will receive a $2,281 discount for a final price of $18,022 plus sales tax for where you live".

Is that a good deal comparable to others or is there more room for negotiation.

This appears to be a good deal and the car has very good all around ratings.
  • alvamalvam Member Posts: 3
    Impreza with Premium Package & VDC

How does this rate for a deal in Colorado? This is direct from the dealer.

The MSRP on the vehicle is $20,303 and the dealer invoice cost is $19302 and you will receive a $2,281 discount for a final price of $18,022 plus sales tax for where you live
  • cycnetcycnet Member Posts: 15
    "2,281 discount for a final price of $18,022 " definitely is a great price. The dealer gives you the invoice price, marketing rebate ($500), full tank of gas, and the dealer hold back.
    Hope you can get it.
    Sounds good to me. The Premium package is a bargain.

Do you know that the lease residuals with the Premium package are higher (as a %) than they would be without it?

It's like you can't afford not to get it. Go for it.
  • dwz75dwz75 Member Posts: 2
    Hi all, I just leased a silver WRX over the weekend. The price was $21900 plus acquisition fee and etc... MSRP was a little bit over 26000. It's a 2 yr and 12k miles lease. I pay $340 a month.
    Congrats. Now the tough wait for the 1000 mile break-in period to end so you can enjoy that engine...
  • dwz75dwz75 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks, I'm new to stick too. Gonna baby it! :)
  • bags1bags1 Member Posts: 3
    I bought a new 2008 2.5i sedan w/ premium package + sport grill MSRP-19,598, paid 16,598 w/ zero % for 24 months.

Good?
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    That is great, which dealership and city, please?
  • msolomonsmsolomons Member Posts: 10
    The MSRP on the 4 door sedan standard transmission WRX with the premium package is $26,350. We just received a quote for $300/month with $2000 down for 36 months and 12,000/year, not including tax and registration It seems to be a good rate but I'd like some validation; I know that Subaru is offering incentives this month on many of their cars.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Mary
    backy,
    I picked it up in golden, co.

I took this ad around and to local dealers and saw who could beat it by the most.

http://www.gocarsandtrucks.com/index.cfm?vehicle=2008_Subaru_Impreza&action=Inve- ntorySearch&subaction=SearchDetailNew&InventoryID=16688831&inventorytype=New
  • coast2coastcoast2coast Member Posts: 13
    Hi Darius -

I'm in Seattle - looking for a WRX with PREM - Manual.

Going to check out the guys you mentioned and try to get a similar deal, thanks for sharing!
  • mdawg25mdawg25 Member Posts: 23
    I was looking at buying a used Impreza. I have been looking at the 99-2000 range for years, but would be open to any suggestions on a good model year. I want the 2.2L for reliability, andcould go either way on the turbo. Could I just put some bolt on performance parts on a non turbo and even come close to the turbo's performance? My parents aren't so crazy about the turbo (first car, higher insurance, etc.). Also, could go either way on transmissions. It wold be used mostly incity driving, but I wouldn't consider it "stop and go" I know in most cases on used cars manuals are more reliable because they are less sensitive to maintanience. Anyway, since it is my first car, reliability is extremely important, and I know subie's are known for that. How many miles can I expect out of it and how much canI expect to pay for it?
    Thanks for your input and sorry for the long post
  • coast2coastcoast2coast Member Posts: 13
    Is there a current rebate for the 2008 Impreza WRX? From forum posters it sounded like there was - but on Edmunds all other models except the impreza have a rebate posted. Was that an oversight?

How much and I am assuming it can be applied for Lease Purchases.

Thank You.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830
    Just got this on Saturday... sedan with manual transmission, premium pkg, and a few port installed options..

Total MSRP = $19,996

Selling price = $17,681

24mo/30K lease

Cap cost = $18,276 (selling price + $595 acq.fee)

Residual 67%

Money factor .00085

Payment = $231/mo. + tax

$ZERO due at signing.. so, just 23 payments of $244 incl.tax

Hope this helps!
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• gazingwagazingwa Member Posts: 4
    Working on a deal. I have on the table a new Impreza 2.5i Wagon Premium Package

MSRP 19648

Price 16298

Plus 150 over TMV's outstanding value on my trade.

Add in 3.9 for 60 months, how couldn't I?
    16 and change for a premium package?

Call the cops, you robbed them ;) .

Congrats.
  • gazingwagazingwa Member Posts: 4
    Actually.... they tried to rob me, after asking repeatedly is that for the premium package.... yes....

Well they were going to transfer the car for me (i wanted black interior) sooooo they said what city they were going to get it from, I got online and that dealer they were going to didn't have a premium 5dr black interior in stock. only base models, I called my dealer back and asked for the vin for my insurance, they gave it to me... sure enough, not premium. I confronted them they ran around and came back, well there was some confusion. you had said once that you didn't HAVE to have the premium package..... anyways this is the best we can do on a regular 2.5 wagon.... needless to say sounds a bit bait and switch to me, so no impreza for me, i'll stick with the good old 2006 sonata (I just hate my light grey interior, i spend soooo much time keeping it clean)

FYI the Stealer that tried to pull this was Annapolis Subaru

Glad i checked online before I drove 1.5hrs to get there
    ateixeira,
    If you follow the link that I provided they have the premium package sedan + grill for 16,997. Just go from there.
    I went to several dealers with this ad and got a couple more hundred bucks off the price. If a dealer won’t let you leave ask them what are they scared of. If they are truly providing the lowest price then their competitors will not be able to beat it by a significant amount (several hundred). If they still won’t let you leave then you’re not getting the best price.
    Sounds about right.
  • mrs_dunebuggymrs_dunebuggy Member Posts: 17
    Hello,
    We just got quoted $19,399 for an auto 08 Sube Impreza 5 door 2.5i w/ premium, & side door moldings. There's a $500 rebate so the "sale" price they're quoting us is $18,899. The competing dealer says he can't get his hands on one for us at all...so we don't really have anything to compare it to or negotiate against.

KBB says invoice is $18,743.00 (not counting molding). Edmunds says invoice is $18,551 (with molding). TMV is $18,826

Do we need to haggle further? Sounds like we're good? Esp. with 3.9 for 63 months.

In advance, thanks for any advice!

-MDB
    PS - Ateixeira --It's me, Hub Cap girl. Looks like we're going to have two Imprezas in the garage. Your hub caps are still in place and looking nice on my '97.
    I just bought a 2.5 sedan with premium package... selling price was $2300 under MSRP, including all rebates... That is also what they are quoting in the newspaper advertisments around here...

What is the MSRP on the car you are shopping?

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

According to Kelly Blue Book, the MSRP is $19,640.00. When I build it on Subaru.com, the price is $20,820.

With our rebate, we're at about $1920 under MSRP.
    Kelly Blue Book??!! Never heard of it!! Must be some fly-by-night organization.. :)

The $19,640 is for the manual transmission model...

The $20,820 seems right... I'd shoot for $19,000 even, with another $500 off for the rebate... $18,500 plus TTL..

I didn't have too much trouble getting that....

Good luck!
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Ha! You're right, it was for manual. Da! :blush: Sorry 'bout that. I just tried to configure with auto and it's not a choice for some reason. That's what I get for trusting shady sites nobody has ever heard of before. :shades:

Thanks! I'm going to email your post to DH. He's doing the negotiating. Might as well shoot for saving another $400.
  • hondalegendhondalegend Member Posts: 12
    Here's what I got e-mail from dealer

Aj,

Our cost on that car is $17,715. I would need to make something on it, keeping that in mind at what price would I need to sell you this car in order to make a deal?

Regards,

Rob Edwards

1 New
    2 5door base model
    3 auto
    4 Prm PKG

THanks

They were askin me 1,2,3,4 questions like those
    1. new or used
    2. 4door 5 door
    3. auto manual
    4. option and I just answered like that

and I reply if u can make that as an OTD price (17715) then we will make a deal
    and then he never answer my reply

I live in cleveland Im sick of a lot of snowing I ve been here for 3years Im lookin for resernable AWD car like impreza

My question is im wondering if subaru gonna make huge rebate for impreza..
    if no then I will pull the trigger bcoz I dont wanna miss the 0% financial deal..
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    ...and then he never answer my reply

In fact, he did give you an answer. The answer was "no" (or probably something more like "ROFL"). ;)

The sales rep was clear that he needs to make something above $17,715 to make a deal with you. Your response told him that you totally ignored what he said.
    Cool, and yes I remember.

We just sold that Legacy, which the hub caps came from, and replaced it with a new 2009 Forester Limited. :shades:

Glad to see her spirit lives on, LOL.

You're beating Edmunds' TMV so I think you're doing well. Compare those prices with fitzmall.com, since they publish no-haggle prices up-front, and have 2 dealers in the MD/DC area.
    Sorry to stray a little off topic, just thought I'd share this pic on my dad's actual Dune Buggy, which we drove around in while in Brazil recently. :shades:

PS E-mail me if you want the name of my salesman at Fitzgerald, he's really cool.
  • cyshescyshes Member Posts: 7
    I noticed a few people quoting a $500 rebate, but I didn't see any of the dealers around here mention it. Is it publicized, or is it the dealer rebate and more local. If I can get it would help tremendously. Thanks
    I wouldn't expect a big Impreza rebate anytime soon, for two reasons. First, Subaru is making a big effort to keep the invoice and MSRP low rather than overpricing vehicles and having to offer big incentives. Second, Impreza is selling well enough to not need a big rebate.
    We're picking up our "Nubaru" Impreza (we have a 12 year old one as well) tonight. We got it for about $2k under MSRP with a $500 rebate and 3.9% financing for 63 months. One dealer who was in the running backed out of the contest because he said he couldn't sell the car for as low as the competition's offer. Not really sure if that's legit, but it made us feel good.

I think our final price was $18,999 with 5 door, auto, premium pkg, homelink mirror/compass, fancy floor mats.