Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Subaru Impreza and Impreza WRX STI Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Congrats. What color? Trans?
  • ameliabediliaameliabedilia Member Posts: 2
    We were quoted a price of $19700 +$500 dealer fee for a 2008 automatic impreza ouback sport. The msrp is $22,281. It has a few extras, like the auto dimming mirror with compass and homelink.
    Is this a good price? Should I keep working it or just take it? We are in Denver, CO.

Thanks so much.
  • sbcookesbcooke Member Posts: 2,297
    I think invoice or below is what you should be shooting for. It looks like that is right around there. Perhaps you can negotiate a better rate to bring in more savings if you feel the price is right.
  • ameliabediliaameliabedilia Member Posts: 2
    Thanks! I saw on the fitzmall.com website that a comparable OBS had a final price of $19700 and I assume that means everything. I keep wondering if I should try to get out of paying that $500 dealer fee. I am tired of shopping and all the negotiating. This salesman was not pushy and I really liked his approach, but I know that shouldn't make me pay more for a car if I don't have to. We're supposed to pick it up this afternoon, so I will sit and stew about it all morning I guess!
    Yeah, the Fitz pricing is for real and includes freight. I think they add a $99 processing fee, but that's it.

I believe that in MD such fees are limited to $100, so that's pretty standard. In other states fees can be much higher.

Just include the fee in the price, and shop that final price.
  • longhorn5longhorn5 Member Posts: 6
    I have been offered this car for 18,500.00 plus TT&L. Note this is the hatchback style with manual transmission but with the premium package. I'd appreciate feedback from people on this price. Thank you!
    First thing I would do is compare to fitzmall.com's price for a similar model.
  • gazingwagazingwa Member Posts: 4
    Fitz has a Impreza outback sport 5m at that price, you need to get 1000 more off for a 5d premium..... The outback sport has heated seats and a couple more nice things.
  • longhorn5longhorn5 Member Posts: 6
    That helps, thank you both!
  • nandan02nandan02 Member Posts: 2
    I can attest to the wonderful buying expereince at Fitzmall. Having moved across to NJ from CA, and from the suggestions here, decided to get Auto Outback Sport. Contacted a whole bunch of dealers, in person as well as on telephone, here in NJ, and no on was willing to even consider going below 20,500 +TTL. Some even tried to bait & switch, but that's a different storey altogether.

Saw Fitzmall had an Auto Steel Silver OBS with Alloy wheel locks, Bumper Cover and Cargo Tray for 19,180 + TTL. Contacted dealership over phone on Monday, and scheduled to head over there on the Saturday and reserved the car with refundable deposit of $500.

We decided to go by Greyhound to Fitzmall---& the Sales Person whom we negotiated with, ensured that there was someone from the dealership to pick us up from the bus terminal. Not only that, he called a couple of timed during ou jourrney to make sure that everything was ok.

Anyways, reached the dealership at around 3-30PM in the afternoon. The car was washed, [non-permissible content removed] & span & ready with only 7miles on the ODO, as we were told on the telephone when we reserved the car. Since we had to drive back to NJ & it was a 5-hour drive, got all the formalities done within 1 hour and set out with the car.

Now, the Good part----

1) Fitzmall adjusts the prices of the cars depending on demand & market conditions. The car we had booked on Monday for 19,180 now was bumped upto 19,700--as confirmed by the VIN number. When we brought this to the attention of the Sales Person, he immediately went & talked with his manager who honored the 19,180 price!!

2) Besides the $500 deposit, we paid $1500 on top of that by credit card--->> more miles or cashback as the case maybe, which was awesome!!

3) Because we were from NJ and the car would be registered in NJ, Fitzmall did not even charge us the $99 Documentation Fee!! They mailed the paperwork within a couple of weeks by DHL--took those paperwork & other documents to the NJ DMV, and got the Registration doen in 45 minutes time----aid the entire $16xx by credit card-->> more miles or cashback as the case may be.

Best Part---
    For all the troubles of arranging transport to pick us up from the Bus Terminus, getting all the paper work done at the dealership in 1 hour---- there was absolutely, reapeat absolutely, NO pressure to buy any extended warranty or service plan or anything extra. The sales person as well as the other people at the dealership were a delight and a pleasure to do business with. (Having purchased 2 cars in Cali earlier in the past 3 years, it is the constant effort to upsell which is annoying and downright ridiculous.)

Sorry for the rambling post. Signed up & posting for the first time today---I thought I'd share my experience regarding Fitzmall, as I have benefitted innumerable times over the years from the suggestions & insights from the members here.

I'm not sure if it is aginst forum posting rules----in case so, moderators, please edit--dealership is the Kensington,MD Fitzmall.

Disclaimer---- I do not have any business relationship with Fitzmall or any of their employees in any shape or form. I'm just a very satisfied customer posting my own personal experience.
  • tmagtmag Member Posts: 1
    Hi all,
    Newbie here and to subaru, coming form a toyota family. Looking to replace my 4-runner, been offered 18400 for a 5-door auto w/premium pack. By the way Northern CA. Was really trying to close me tonight but I was just not ready was that a good deal or should I try for better deal? Thanks all for any advice.
    Glad to hear that, but I can't say I'm surprised. My family has purchased 5 Subarus from Fitzmall. :shades:
  • jeffmcjeffmc Member Posts: 1,742
    $18.4K is a good price. You might ask them to throw something small into the deal, (all weather mats, or rear bumper cover - a must have! - etc.) but I think that's about as good of a deal as you'll find. Total invoice (incl. destination charge) is $19,660, minus $500 rebate is $19,160. So they're offering $760 below invoice before the rebate is applied.

One other thing to consider... the 2009 Impreza models will be arriving sometime in September, and for '09 the Premium package will include a power moonroof, but will be more expensive. So, if a moonroof happens to be an important feature for you, it'll be available next month on the '09s.
  • harvptharvpt Member Posts: 40
    Anyone have news as to when the 2009 Impreza Sport is going to be released?? Thanks
  • jeffmcjeffmc Member Posts: 1,742
    Looks like at least one small shipment came and went already, but everywhere I look online there are only 08s... I'd guess Subaru is waiting to clear inventory. There are pics of '09s at a Seattle dealership here:
    http://www.cars101.com/subaru/impreza/impreza2009photos2.html
    Besides being labeled as an '09 webpage, you can also tell these are 09s because one of the models is the new Sage Green/Silver combo. But the dealership doesn't have any OB Sports in their inventory so they must already be gone. :confuse:
  • nerd1nerd1 Member Posts: 9
    I just bought an 08 STI from Chino Valley Subaru, they were awesome. I would recommend them to anyone. There was no pressure and they were very patient. I got the base model STi for $31500 before tax and Lic. I got the warranty for 7years/100,000 miles for $1650. I love the car. The only thing I noticed is the HID head lights come low, so I will have to position them higher.
    Sweeet. Congrats. What color?
    Yeah...see my posts followed by "learn how to use the high beams" replies.

They are really low. I looked, it doesn't look like there is a way to adjust them any higher than just the auto control on the dash.

I don't do a lot of night driving...however just last night...I couldn't see coming up an onramp and had to hit high beams...much to the delight of the people the low aiming is supposed to help.

I was going to ask at my 3750 mile checkup.
    Thanks, Dark Grey Metallic. They only had 6 left as of Saturday, no 5 in So Cal. So I pulled the trigger.
    I found some post on how to adjust the headlights, it seems pretty straight forward. I am going to try it tonight if I have some time. The only suggestion is to use a ratchet and not a screw driver, since you might damage the adjusters for the lights. Here are the links:

link How to Adjust Your Headlights

link IWSTI
    Cool. I will check it out.
  • akpakakpak Member Posts: 2
    I received an offer from a small Subaru dealer in NJ for a 2008 WRX w/ Prem Packg for $24k with 0% for 24 months. That's $100 below the invoice price for the base WRX! I should have jumped on it right. Except this guy only came back with that offer Monday night. I had gone home to NJ for the weekend and I was leaving Monday night because I had to work the next day. (I'd taken Monday off).

Now this was a great deal even considering that the better 09s were only weeks if not days away from going on sale. I don't think I'll get anything close to this deal on the new 09s or even on the 08s considering so few dealers in New England where I live even have them in stock.

I feel the opposite of buyer's remorse. Should I have stayed the extra few hours and jumped on that deal? Thoughts?
  • merrycynicmerrycynic Member Posts: 340
    I have a feeling that the '09's might have a much better resale value.
    Well, you'll pay more now, and probably get most of it back.

Buy the one you prefer. That matters more than a few bucks 7 years from now.
  • akpakakpak Member Posts: 2
    Yea, I'm starting to feel the same way too. The more I read about the '09s, the better I feel. It comes standard with a lot of things from the '08 prem package so even the base package might be enough. Plus, it's a MUCH better car.
    And considering the economic climate and how bad car sales are doing, I think I might be able to pick up an '09 for a reasonable deal within a couple of months.
  • connieyleeconnieylee Member Posts: 29
    Hi There
    I'm talking with the Fitzmall in Gaithersburg, MD, right now. Did you do any haggling at all with them? I sent them an email to see if they'd go lower if I pay in full up front, but I didn't know if that was kosher, since their prices are so low anyway :)

Thanks
    They don't - it's a no-haggle concept, the whole point is that everyone pays the same price.

You can pay their lower "internet" price, but then you don't get the free oil changes that you get with their slightly higher normal pricing (about $300 or so extra).

I still think they're a good deal. They only charge a $99 processing fee and freight is included in their price. Those 2 things could add $1000 to your total if you go to a VA dealer.
  • josswjossw Member Posts: 9
    I've been considering getting an 08 STI. Dealers here in SoCal are offering $9K off MSRP with 0% APR for 63 months. You can get a base STI for $26,000 with 0% for 63 months. I think that number will go down to $25K by the end of November.
  • jmt529jmt529 Member Posts: 2
    Can you let me know which dealer in SoCal offered you $9k off a base model STI? Thanks.
    Basically any SoCal dealership will give you $8K off immediately. If you do some haggling and calling around I've found that most people will take off $9K. Dealerships include Santa Monica, South Coast, Timmons, Renick, etc. Subaru is giving all dealerships $5K for selling an 08 STI so it trickles down to the customer. The 0% APR is combined with the savings.
  • icezhaobingicezhaobing Member Posts: 1
    Jossw, do you mind to give us more details? Is that a basic STI? Which dealer is that? They might give you $9000 off for a more expansive one (like with NAVI), but for basic STI, I don't think so. I have been searching a STI in SoCal for a while.

Thanks
    Sure Ice. Just contact the internet sales manager at Shaver. She'll give you $8,000 of ANY STI. Tell her Joss sent you. $9k is possible if you shop around. Trust me.
  • nyc6035nyc6035 Member Posts: 13
    Bought the base model. MSRP 19903 with Automatic, Floor Mats, Cargo Tray and Bumper Cover with Destination. Paid 19090 before tax and tags.
    I finally got arond to adjusting my headlights...the article was perferct. It took many more turns than I thought it would. I used a small box/crescent wrench.

Now I can drive around with the lights set to 3 and move them up and down. I was procrastinating doing the adjustment, but the other night out driving it was downright dangerous. When I would flip off the highbeams due to an oncoming car, at anythng greater than 30-35 mph, I could not see far enough down the road to be safe.

Thanks again for posting the instructions in your previous post
  • Old_SchoolOld_School Member Posts: 4
    icezhaobing,

It's pretty bad out there, and you can get deals all over the place. I HAD to buy my wife a new vehicle, and we got a Acura, saving 9k. And if her car hadn't died, I would have worked harder to squeeze the dealerships. And 2.9% financing was icing on the cake.

Now, if I just get a 2009 5 door in my garage too!!!!!
  • setampsetamp Member Posts: 16
    I am looking at a 2008 Impreza wagon, 5 door automatic i with the premium package. The MRSP is 20,964. The offer price is 19,799 which seems way too high. what should i pay for this car?
  • Old_SchoolOld_School Member Posts: 4
    This was on the Yahoo Front Page.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20081207/us_nm/us_autos_ports

It seems like they are hustling for storage space.

Do you think that will make it easier to get a 2009?

Old School
  • 1daniel11daniel1 Member Posts: 2
    Has anybody bought a new 2009 WRX, either base or premium package and can report on price paid? Thanks.
  • FisherWGFisherWG Member Posts: 4
    I just get a deal from a dealer for Impreza 2.5i 4door, MSRP 20000 with Automatic, Floor Mats, free deliver to my home. Dealer ask 17608 before tax and tags. How about this price? Does they make a higher MSRP?
  • ponderpointponderpoint Member Posts: 277
    I think most people are in observation of excellent bargains for a torturous year but.... I think it's going to be a lot worse in the coming months even for Japanese brands.

Dealerships are preying on that "Wow Christmas gift factor" more than ever before for the last measly bits of "I got a live one here/MSRP idiots" and those people that bought in that regime are going to be disgusted at what they see post Christmas.... Be careful and wait.

Please don't think me a raging economic sciolist, it's just my opinion and I could be wrong but my intuition tells me that "a perfect storm" is coming and the deals coming on cars for 2009/2010 are going to be nothing short of incredible.
  • zachgomezzachgomez Member Posts: 1
    I am in northern california, but i am willing to go anywhere for the deal. I have contacted some so cal dealerships that are out of stock. Does anyone out there know of any 08 STI deals similar to the 8k and 9k off from a few months ago.

Thanks
  • cocopupucocopupu Member Posts: 7
    Looking as well! Also would like to know if anyone in the so cal area knows a dealer that would do a short term rental ? Thanks, Carrie
    I seriously doubt they would offer an STI as a short-term rental. Imagine how long that clutch would last (a month? If that).
  • jsylvestrejsylvestre Member Posts: 8
    local dealer is offering me an 08 sti silver with bbs wheels and navi. it was a demo what ever that means and has 3300 miles offering it to me for $31,000 what do you think? can i get them down more going friday and really want to trade my 08 legacy 2.5i spec. edition for the sti. help me out
  • dfwhondadfwhonda Member Posts: 45
    I think that may be a price along the lines of what I've seen on '08 STI demos around the state of TX, although the price for the STI you are looking at may be a bit more competitive than those I'm looking at because your STI has bbs wheels and navi. I'm having trouble finding new '08 STIs in TX that the dealers are willing to offer $7k (or more) off of MSRP (similar to the November '08 deals that were floating around when inventory of the '08 STIs was greater).

Is your dealer offering 0% financing for 63 months with that purchase as well? Only some of the dealers I have contacted are willing to provide that financing with demos (if you are thinking about financing your purchase).
    no the financing is based on credit and finance duration is adjustable up to 72 months
  • dfwhondadfwhonda Member Posts: 45
    I wonder why some dealers are willing to offer the 0% financing on demos when others are not? Without the 0% financing on a demo, isn't a customer incentivized to try to find a new '08 and pay a couple thousand dollars more up front if you can qualify for the 0% financing for 63 months? That's what I'm trying to do until the end of this year, and if I don't find a new '08 STI, then my guess is that the demos will be on dealers' lots into '09...good luck with your negotiation.
    does anyone know when the 2009 sti will hit the dealers?
    I'd pass. 3300 miles on a demo STI? What are the odds that thing was babied. I'd say about zero.
    the dealer wont budge on the price and they wont even offer zero financing. i tried explaining to them. this is a demo with 3300 miles as put above obviously not babied. i can wait for an 09 with near zero miles.