Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Subaru Impreza and Impreza WRX STI Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
edited January 2014 in Subaru
Share your purchase experience here!

Comments

• jokerman1jokerman1 Member Posts: 1
    Even though I did not want to pay more than list, my current leased car was being returned to volvo so I decided to bust a move. Going rate in the bay area at that time was $1500 over list. Tried to buy at list but nobody would budge (keep in mind this car is limited production and is a 04, not a 03 - no immediate depreciation hit). Only 2 silver cars in town at that time (out of 12 dealers). Walnut Creek Subaru in Concord did my deal, but I suspect Ron Price Subaru in SF would also have done the deal (they also had a silver one) if I had driven down there.

If you really want to buy this car, I'd recommend doing the following:
    1)find a dealer (or preferably two dealers) who has the car you want (call or check web inventory)
    2)visit the dealer in person and make your best offer
    3)be prepared to buy the car and drive it home
    (I left my current car and returned to pick it up the next day)
    I'm not sure when supply of this car will exceed demand, but I'm guessing it will take some time (especially if you want to pay list or under list - there are a lot of people waiting on the sidelines prepared to pay list).
    In the meantime I've driven 700 miles and am having the time of my life. CARPE DIEM!
  • onemoremileonemoremile Member Posts: 9
    East Imports in Grand Rapids Michigan (49512) will be receiving to STIs later this week. They are black with gold and blue with silver. Both are well equipped and will be sold at MSRP. There are the first STIs that have not been sold before arrival.
  • rickroverrickrover Member Posts: 601
    I've had my STi for 3 weeks. Only one dealer had any in stock in my area. I worked on them for 2 days and got them down to $1,800 over sticker (from $6,000). My STi had 5 miles on it when I drove it off the lot - I didn't even have them clean it up, it still had the plastic on it. I had it professionally detailed a couple of days later.

I love this car... it's worth every nickel I paid for it.

The dealer experience was great too, no complaints there at all.
  • krzysskrzyss Member Posts: 849
    What attitude .
    They robbed you and you are grateful.

Enjoy the car.

Krzys
  • axp696axp696 Member Posts: 90
    got them down to $1,800

Errrm... so you still paid a $1,800 markup over MSRP? Perhaps it depends on the area, every New England dealer has at least one sitting on their lot and they're more than happy to let them go at MSRP or even MRSP including a couple options.
  • penguinboypenguinboy Member Posts: 1
    Just drove home in my new 2004 WRX wagon for $22,700. All smiles so far.
    I wouldn't consider $1,800 over MSRP being robbed, not for a car with the capability of the STi. They didn't hold a gun to my head, absolutely no pressure, very professional sales/ management staff - the buying experience was excellent. There are no STi's available in my area and blue/ gold STi's are very hard to find. I didn't feel like waiting for one and the one they had was sitting in the garage with the plastic still on it with 5 miles on the clock - $1,800 over wasn't unreasonable IMO, I was glad to pay it - the STi is awesome.

Cars like the STi are going to bring customers into Subaru dealers that don't think $37.5k (my out the door cost with TTL) for a car is a stretch. I actually feel I saved about $30k buying my STi considering I was shopping M3's and base 911's - two cars the STi will hang with all day at the track - my STi was a screaming bargain.
  • krzysskrzyss Member Posts: 849
    For people coming from high end STi is dirt cheap, even with 1800 markup.
    On the other hand for people upgrading from Focus SVT, Neon (ACR anyone) - lower end - STi is good value but are less likely to accept markup.

Krzys

PS In Polish there is a saying:
    Point of view depends where one sits.
    Plus STi's are scarce in my area, there aren't any available. I felt lucky to get this one. Evo's can be had for $1,000 below MSRP - 3 or 4 sitting on each Mitsubishi dealer's lot around here.

I don't know if Subaru is going to open the pipeline on the STi in the future - now that I have mine I hope they don't of course :-)
  • thegsterthegster Member Posts: 6
    Went to Chase Parkway in Watertown CT to buy WRX, they refused to take my Grand Cherokee in trade, wouldnt even give me a price. Went right to Center Subaru in Torrington and got Kelly Blue book on Jeep and $2K off WRX. They are the best. When I called Chase to tell them I bought, they got mad at me, said I should have given them a chance. LOL
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Yeah, some dealers don't even want cars more than 3-4 years old. They'll just wholesale them out for auction or something.

Still, in this competitive market, they need to work with you. Congrats on the Rex.

-juice
    A friend bought a silver STi from the same dealer I did and paid $1k over MSRP. They got 2 in on Friday, he worked on them all weekend to get them down to $1k over. Both STi's were sold over the weekend - one silver, one black.

I've heard blue ones are hard to come by. Still totally satisfied with mine - just hit 1,700 miles.
  • wrxfanboywrxfanboy Member Posts: 25
    STi for MSRP and room to negotiate!

I just bought a 2004 WRX from these guys with 5 options; Premium sound, Performance, Popoular equipment, spoiler and armrest for 24,100. I was very happy with this dealership and how they treated me.
  • krnl9klinkkrnl9klink Member Posts: 3
    ¤ "This holdback amount is "invisible" to the consumer because it does not appear as an itemized fee on the window sticker. If the car sells within 90 days of arrival on the dealer's lot, the dealer is guaranteed a profit even if the vehicle is sold to you at cost. Because of the holdback, the dealer can advertise a car at $1 over invoice and still make hundreds of dollars on the sale."
    ¤ Subaru 3% of the Total MSRP (Amount may differ in Northeastern U.S.) http://www.edmunds.com/advice/incentives/holdback/ So If I'm Looking at a WRX STI at $31900 and HoldBack on this Car is Aproximately $1000, Should I Feel Confident with an Offer in the $31000 Range? And as Far as Reg, Tags, Title, & Liscence are Concerned, Can you do it yourself Or do Dealers Demand you Pay Inflated Fees [$400] for Minimum Wage Lackey Work as I Would Feel Better With a Nice Cash Money Envelope for the Vacume Man and Paper Chaser? In Closing I Just Wanted to Find out What Others Drivers Were Paying for Insurance on the WRX STI? Looks Like Edmunds Lists Yearly Insurance at Around $900. ThankYou for Your Time.
    Dealers have to eat, I wouldn't expect them to dip into their holdback, especially not on the hot STi. I think if you can negotiate invoice you should be offering seminars! :-)

-juice
  • terrahopperterrahopper Member Posts: 10
    Got my STi here in California; the Land of Terminator for Governor. My first offer from when I put a deposit was MSRP. When an STi arrived, the markup was ridiculous! $10,000! I'm sure many car stores around Cali do this to catch the desperate and impatient ones. The wheels weren't the ones I wanted. I waited a week. Magically, the markup lowered to $5,000. I said I'd wait, again. About 1.5 months later, my STi showed up. Markup? $2,500. I was at the car store when they told me this; I said I'd wait until the price was better. Instantly, it became MSRP. Of course, it wasn't that easy to get it down to MSRP, but if you're patient (and firm, yet courteous with the salespeople), you'll get the price you want.

Maybe someone in Cali will get an STi for under MSRP,
    TerraHopper :-)
  • krnl9klinkkrnl9klink Member Posts: 3
    ¤ I'm Using the All OnLine Approach and If You Can Find a Dealer that Will Go this Route a Bargain Can Be Had. I've Received 2 Quotes From 2 Different Oregon Dealers and if One of Those Dealers Happens to Be a Very Motivated Seller a Below MSRP Number and Extras May Be in Your Future. Here is My Approach From this Point Forward On a Subaru WRX STI With Alarm Upgrade, Wheel Locks, AutoDim Mirrors & Compass: Drive the Vehicle, Make it Known that the Interior is Substandard [No Leather Package, Less than Impressive Guage and Panel Arrangement, No Remote or Wheel Control for Stereo] and That the Cooper and RSX Type S Both Have These Options At $23,000. Walk off the Lot and Guage Dealer Motivation. If EMail Continues Ask For Lube for Life, Coustom Seat Covers, Custom Tail Pipe, ETC. If the Dealer Indeed Understands that Your Saving them Money with an All EMail Sale and they Recognize Dealer HoldBack is Only Good for 3 Months [3 % of MSRP or Close to a $1000 On the STI] Then You Can Proceed With the Mutual Knowledge that Most Dealer Profit is Made After the Sale. If They Treat You Well You Will More than Likely Service that Vehicle At the Dealer and Return Again for a Future Purchase. And Just Remember that Most Cars in the $30 K Range Have 1ST Year Depreciation in the $5-$8k Range So Holding a Dealer to a Reasonable MarkUp is Beneficial For Both Parties. If Anyone on the West Coast Needs an STI in the Aforementioned Price Range Let Me Know as I May Be Able to Offer My Services. Bad Oregon Economy = Good Oregon Deals. ¶€AC€ KRN£¤K£INK
  • asequeirasequeir Member Posts: 1
    My first experience at a Subaru dealer in southern california didn't go quite as I imagined.... the salesman locked my friend and I out of the car and refused to let us drive it. He said the price was $39,850 and that it was "non-negotiable." I understand that if this car was a limited edition Ferrari Enzo, or even a lowly Mercedes SL55 AMG I might accept that test drives are far and few between. But, this is a $30k SUBARU! Give me a break!

I thought perhaps maybe this [non-permissible content removed]-mentality was at only 1 dealer so I decided to visit another Subaru dealer in southern california. They said no test drives on the STi either. How are you supposed to buy a car without driving it first? I've never owned a Subaru, and apparently I never will because I refuse to buy a car I can't drive.

The problem is there are too many people who are willing to buy a car without driving it. There are too many people who are willing to pay more than MSRP. There are also too many other great cars to be accepting this kind of customer service from anyone.
  • raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    At many dealers the car was considered "owner driven", meaning no one was giving test drives with so many willing buyers at hand. It makes sense if you think about it bacause the first thing the buyer wants is a car with no miles on it.
  • karupt411karupt411 Member Posts: 1
    Hey, looking at the 2.5 RS. What are some prices paid in Canada? Only owned Honda's before but Subie seems to be the right one on paper to buy so far. Any happy canucks out there? I can't figure out if the AWD in Canada is that useful or is it not worth the lower gas mileage and increased maintenance and repair costs versus FWDs. Any comments? Funny to note that the 2.5 RS and WRX carry the same insurance rate. Too bad their MSRP don't match either.
  • dsattlerdsattler Member Posts: 135
    When the Miata came out dealers here had no demo units and no test drives. Want one, buddy? Put a deposit down and get on the waiting list, your "test drive" occurs when "your" car comes in and you've paid for it. Local Honda dealer wouldn't give test drives on the S2000 for a long time, either. You could drive a WRX and imagine the same thing, only more so.
    I knew of one S2000 salesman that said he'd give a 100% money back guarantee. So you had to buy it to drive it. Noone took their money back!

I would want a car with just a couple of miles on it also, especially if I were buying an exotic, so I can't say I blame them.

-juice
    I was able to test drive an STi but I had to let them pull my credit to show them I was able to buy it. They knew I was interested in buying it,not just taking it out for a test drive. They had two in stock and were using one for short test drives - I bought the one with 5 miles on it.

I can kind of understand a dealer not allowing test drives without someone proving they could buy it if they liked it. Although I had a much easier time getting a test drive in a new M3 and C32 AMG.

A friend of mine got a dealer down to $750 below MSRP on a silver STi this week.
  • hondasellertxhondasellertx Member Posts: 35
    Talk about a CSI killing survey just waiting to happen. IF the attitude and personality coming through in the posts by krnlklink are the true persona this is the salesperson's nightmare. The customer who will give the worst survey to a hard working salesperson is invariably the one who pinches the penny the tightest and believes they are doing a huge favor by buying the car at a barrel scraping figure.

No, I am not suggesting everyone should lay down and pay $xxxx over sticker price however if the situation were reversed and the salesperson were the customer in your hair salon, deli, appliance store or wherever and wanted your $20 styling service for $12 because Schmucks barbershop does a plain cut for that you wouldn't consider them reasonable and when you finished giving them a great style they'd be negative about it. Fill in the scenario with whatever business you are in and ask yourself if that's how you want people to think of you and expect you to do business.

There are plenty of honest and good salespeople working their butts off to give good service and FAIR deals. There are some who are looking for scalps every time. Don't let yourself be scalped but don't try to scalp the salesman either. He/she deserves to make a FAIR living just as much as anyone else.
  • spektrespektre Member Posts: 80
    I've noticed there are many, many STis just sitting at the local dealerships. This is probably a great time to get 'just' a WRX, as the STi is really the hot commodity... Anyone have any luck with this? Anyone recommend a dealership in the greater Boston area?

Also, anyone know what the max contract length is for the 0% financing Subaru is currently offering?
    We've got 4 STi's on the lot and enough WRX's to get through the winter.

Now is a good time to have a chat with your local dealer...
  • spektrespektre Member Posts: 80
    Raybear, since you're 'connected'... can you answer my second question - What's the max contract length for the 0%?

Also, what's a great deal for a '04 WRX auto wagon in this area?
  • dill6dill6 Member Posts: 120
    though I'm not in the new car market this year, I did stop by the local dealer to drool and chat yesterday. The guy who sold me my WRX was unusually animated about pitching the virtues of the STi to me, and offered, without my asking, that he had "just been authorized" to offer $750 off of MSRP on the STi.

Sign of the times.
    Makes the early markups just a bad memory.

-juice
    24 months.

We advertise a 60-month deal but you're paying for the buydown.
  • gordonsubygordonsuby Member Posts: 3
    I have not been in town hall in some time, and am surprised that there are still dealers out there trying to get MSRP, or over, for the STI. We have three blue/gold STI's in stock. One, we had a customer drive home to show has wife and she said there was no way their child was riding with him in "that" car. It has about 200 miles on it and is for sale at $2000 off MSRP. The other two are undriven and available for $1000 off, so if you are in the Northeast and looking...
    Tell me about it...I've got 4 in stock and 4 more in transit! With winter coming now is a really good time to talk discount!
  • pathstar1pathstar1 Member Posts: 1,015
    How about convincing the Canadian dealers! They are all still convinced they can get $6000 Can. over MSRP!
    At least you have AWD as a selling point. But yeah, slow season is coming...my buddy just came up and dealers are offering great deals on a Boxster he's looking for.

-juice
  • kevin111kevin111 Member Posts: 991
    Would make me much happier. Boxster/STi discounting? Now I have to be dreaming!
  • subyguy2subyguy2 Member Posts: 2
    These cars are truly fantastic. We just made a special purchase of them and have 15+ coming in during the month of November. We are going to sell them all at invoice. So, if you are in the Northeast, come and look us up!
  • leasimleasim Member Posts: 1
    a few days ago i decided to stop by my local subaru dealer to look at a blue w gold rims sti that had been sitting in the show room for about 2 months and found out why. when i entered the dealership there were about 3 sales people that saw me come in, they did not even say hello or look at me!they just sat there talking to each other and paid me no attention. so i looked at the car for about 5 minutes and left. they did the same thing to a friend of mine when the regular wrx came out so he had to buy his some where else. if you live in the cleveland,oh area dont buy a car at gantly west side imports they are pompus jerks.
  • subarusaleshousubarusaleshou Member Posts: 161
    The STi has got to be the car of the decade and is a major bargain at full sticker price. There is nothing that comes remotely close to touching it without spending seriously more money.

Please don't bother with the weak comparison to televisions and how people don't pay near msrp for a television or whatever item you want to compare to. The markup from dealer cost to msrp on a television is around 80% versus about 8% on this.

Yes, 8% is a fairly nice sum of money however it doesn't go far when divided among those whose living depend on it. I just wonder if those who think it's criminal for an automobile selling price to be anything over invoice feel the same way about their employer's product/service pricing.
  • prayerforprayerfor Member Posts: 161
    The STi... is a major bargain at full sticker price
    If there are dealers offering to sell them at or near invoice, then paying full sticker is not a bargain, it's a ripoff.

There is nothing that comes remotely close to touching it without spending seriously more money.
    That's pretty brash when you consider that more than one well-respected automotive publication has tested the STi head to head with the less-expensive EVO, and chosen the EVO.
    That's pure sales pitch. The local no-haggle dealer already discounts them about a grand off MSRP with no bargaining, because they believe that's the current fair profit level on the STi.

It's all supply and demand, now that supply is catching up to demand they will have to discount if they want to maintain sales volumes, period. You're just not going to find as many customers willing to pay MSRP.

In fact, a dealer that is stubborn and doesn't budge from MSRP will sell less volume, make less profit overall, and would therefore pay those same people "who depend on it" less.

-juice
    Around here dealers are advertising invoice now...
    Man, who would have known a couple of years back that there would be so much performance vehicles around $30K -

WRX STi, Evo, G35 coupe, RX8, 350Z, Upcomming Legacy sport, etc., I know I am missing a couple of vehicles
  • subarusaleshousubarusaleshou Member Posts: 161
    "If there are dealers offering to sell them at or near invoice, then paying full sticker is not a bargain, it's a ripoff."

No, it's not a ripoff it's just not as big a bargain. It's what the item is and does based on retail price that determines value, whether cars or stereos or frozen dinners. What one person sells an item for compared to another seller doesn't change that, it only determines who got a better deal. The STi is a bargain at retail based on what it is and does and what the purchaser gets for their money. Anything below retail is just bonus.

"...more than one well-respected automotive publication has tested the STi head to head with the less-expensive EVO, and chosen the EVO."

That's fine for today however I wouldn't want a Mitsubishi product several years out if I had the option of other brands. The price differential of about 3% between the two isn't enough to change the long term picture.

"WRX STi, Evo, G35 coupe, RX8, 350Z, Upcomming Legacy sport"

The Evo and the Legacy are the only two that really compare since the others are coupes not sedans. The Legacy is the only one that can compare both on similarity of product and long term reliability. I don't believe any of the 3 coupes offer the benefit of AWD.
    "The Evo and the Legacy are the only two that really compare since the others are coupes not sedans. The Legacy is the only one that can compare both on similarity of product and long term reliability. I don't believe any of the 3 coupes offer the benefit of AWD. "

- True, but here in SoCal, if I am looking at a +$30K vehicle, I will be looking at all the mentioned ones. Performance, interior, looks, and room would be much more highly considered than sedan vs. coupe. They all have their plusses and minusses. It just depends on which one I like the best and which one I can get the best deal on.
    The G35 will offer AWD soon, they're calling it the G35x I believe.

Makes you wonder if Nissan will offer AWD on the Z as well?

-juice
  • pathstar1pathstar1 Member Posts: 1,015
    The G35x will be available in December, according to their website. Was just checking this morning. It's the Skyline GTR in Japan (the G35 is the Nissan Skyline). There is no Infinity or Lexus there, just Nissan and Toyota.

Not quite the same as the STi, but close, I suppose. Paved street as opposed to rally car. Much nicer looking to my eyes, though ;-).
    I don't think a G35x would be much competition for the STi. The Infinity is heavier and has less power - it's more of a luxury car.

I am looking forward to the release of the various stage one kits for the STi, Vishu should have one out soon that adds about 70 HP for a couple grand.

I was one of the early STi purchasers that paid over sticker for it - I'd do it again, I love this car. I'm in sales - Real Estate - I don't mind if someone makes a few bucks off me, that's what makes the world go round :-) I knew if I waited I'd get a better deal but I wanted one then. Plus I was soooo close to signing for an M3 SMG - the STi saved me 20 grand for the same and soon to be better performance.

STi's are still commanding sticker in my neck of the woods, a friend of mine just sold his M Coupe and paid MSRP for his white STi last week. I'm in the sunbelt, you don't see a lot of Subie's around here, the dealers don't get much of an allocation - never below MSRP to my knowledge. I'm sure that will happen eventually.
  • lips1001lips1001 Member Posts: 2
    I live in Northern Virginia and cannot get a test drive in a STI. If anyone knows where I can drive one please let me know. As of two weeks ago a local dealer was still charging sticker. They have had a blue and sliver STI on the lot now for about three weeks. These in stock cars are a first. Also, you guys talking about STIs at invoice...where?
  • prayerforprayerfor Member Posts: 161
    saleshou --

Your "value" argument is pretty irrelevant here. Read the topic of the thread -- presumably the folks that are here are already convinced of the STi's "value" (as you define it), and are now wanting to discuss what a fair selling price is.

The most recent posts suggest that in many regions (the southwest is apparently an exception), market dynamics have pushed the STi's street price below MSRP, and in some places, all the way down to invoice. Therefore, if you're in one of these regions, then paying MSRP is a ripoff, and would be even if the STi was capable of transporting you to the moon.
    Not invoice, but fitzmall.com is close enough to you and they're knocking about a grand off the price. I'm not sure if they allow test drives, maybe not.

-juice