Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Subaru Impreza and Impreza WRX STI Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• jethrotljethrotl Member Posts: 3
    I bought at Quirk Subaru in Bangor, ME. All other dealers in the area wanted about $1000 more. Whether I did better than your deal depends on how you value my trade. Quirk had several buyers interested in my car because of the low milage, and will probably be able to turn it over rather quickly in the $5000 range. Your price of $18,300 w/ options is very good.
  • wblchwblch Member Posts: 3
    $18,300 OTD? That sounds good. Mine is $18,900 before 5% tax and ttl, AT, no options added. So far this seems the best I can get, and the dealer is so firm at that price. I wonder how to get it down couple hundred $.
  • newmaniumnewmanium Member Posts: 2
    Just picked up a 2009 Impreza Outback Sport automatic w/iPod connector for $19.1k before TTL. 0% financing for 60 months. In the Northwest.

Other local dealer was having a "sale" on exact same model for $19.7k. Invoice looks to be about 19.9k, and there's a $500 rebate from Subaru... no clue how they're getting the price below that - either hidden trunk money, or just taking a loss to move metal. Woohoo!!
  • billynomatesbillynomates Member Posts: 3
    I just got the same deal in the Northeast. 19.1k for a 2009 impreza sport with arm rest and ipod connector. 2.9% for 36 months. Picking it up today.

Don't worry they are still making money off you. They get paid $84 or something from Subaru for selling the car, $400 if you finance, Whatever the volume bonus for the month is, a $500 rebate, and whatever markup they can squeeze out of the ipod.

I feel is is a fair deal all around.
  • newmaniumnewmanium Member Posts: 2
    I'm guessing they don't get $400 for financing on a 0% APR deal - bank isn't making any money on the deal, doubt they'd give money to the dealership for nothing.

Is the 0% thing regional? I notice you're paying 2.9%.
  • r2m45r2m45 Member Posts: 10
    Folks I'm contemplating buying the STI in base form. MSRP of $36,000.00. What Should I expect to pay this late in the 09 model year. I live in PA. Thanks
  • dpashkindpashkin Member Posts: 4
    Looking to buy a 2009 Impreza Outback Sport in Chicagoland. So far the best price I've got - $19,423 was from Evanston Subaru. It looks like it is possible to find it even cheaper, but what about the dealership experience? Is there anyone here from Chicago, who has dealt with Evanston Subaru? How are they?
  • abchin486abchin486 Member Posts: 78
    no, they still get the $400.

The financing is through the automaker, not a bank (although some get money through a bank, they just buy down the rate). If you finance through the automaker, they will get the commision. Through the auto makers eyes, you either get the financing or the rebate. If they give you both, the automaker will lose both the commision price and the cash back rebate, which is why combining both offers is only reserved for cars that are not selling at all (ie outback). So, what is worse, giving your customer $2000 to use towards a car, or giving the dealer $400 to let the customer get a really good financing rate?

If they finance through a bank. they may not get a commision, but they will add 1 or 2% to the rate and keep that added precentage as their profit.

The reality is, lots of automakers realized they could also make money by becoming their own banks. This is why they offer college grads those special rebates (and you cannot combine it with special financing and they encourage no money down). It forces them to finance through the automaker to get the rebate. With a rate of around 5% over 5 years (this is what toyota gives their top tier student rates now) they will easily recoup that $400 they gave to the dealer as commsion and that rebate they gave to the buyer. If they buyer just does minimum payments each month and he/she put not money down, that is easily $3000 for the auto maker over the life of the loan.
  • sbcookesbcooke Member Posts: 2,297
    I got my '08 Base STI July 2008 for about $32K ++ with the subaru vip program. I forget the exact discount, but it was below invoice. I would suggest with the given economy you should try to set the price. I would go in and offer $29.5K for an out the door price, give the sales guy your number and leave. You can always go back.

I doubt you will get that price, but unless you start below where they are comfortable you are working down rather than up. Perhaps they will come back with $29.5 but they cannot include tax/title and destination in the price and you will be around $31 walking away.
  • ponderpointponderpoint Member Posts: 277
    Cumberland Valley Subaru is willing to deal, I don't know if you're in the Harrisburg/Carlisle area.

For the first time ever we didn't have to go across the state line to buy a new car (Maryland) and picked up an Impreza Outback Sport for 18.3k - first time ever a PA dealership just gave a quote over the phone......
  • jinglecarjinglecar Member Posts: 4
    Just went to the dealer today, and got the following number:

Retail Value: $21,964
    Discount: $625
    Conveyance Fee: $329
    Tag Fee: $178
    Total (tax's not included): $21,846
    APR: 2.9%

According to some previous posts, some people even get around $16500(Tax not included) for a base model 09 Impreza 5 DR.

Do you guys think getting the total price down to $19,800 is a good deal? If any of you know a dealer is selling the 09 Impreza 5DR prem. pkge for around $19,800, please let me know.

Thank you.
  • tinycadontinycadon Member Posts: 287
    You're getting ripped off!!! Go to Fitzmall.com and look at what they're selling their 09 5-door Premiums for. They have 8 in stock that range anywhere from 18,200 to 19,750. Good Luck!
  • jinglecarjinglecar Member Posts: 4
    Thank you for your information. I will give them a call tomorrow.
    Besides that, have any of you done business with Fitzmall.com? If yes, do you know what are their procedures of out of state purchase? (I am from CT).

Thank you.
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    You don't have to deal with fitzmall if you aren't near them, but it gives you some idea of what the "bottom line" price for such a car is. I assume you want an automatic? It should be relatively easy to get it for $19,000 plus taxes and fees. If you are looking for a manual shift, $18K should be very doable.

Go to the websites for a couple of dealers near you, maybe three, and submit a request for a quote through the internet. You should get close on the very first round of responses, as tough as car sales are right now.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    We bought a 2002 Legacy and then a 2009 Forester from them. Prices are the real deal, just add $99 processing and that's it. Even better, VA dealers have fees around $3-400 so even that fee was the lowest I came across.

Strongly recommend them for purchasing. For service, not so much - IMHO they are overpriced.
  • bluewolfbluewolf Member Posts: 101
    Can somebody recommend a dealer (and maybe e-mail me offline with a specific salesperson) in AZ? Dealers nearest me are Power Subaru and Camelback Subaru.

Looking for an Impreza Wagon with AT & probably Premium Pkg in the next month.

Lastly - Are the AT's in the base Imprezas pretty bad? Wondering if I should look elsewhere for a fun to drive reliable car...
  • thefirstrulethefirstrule Member Posts: 2
    I paid $19,500 with 0% financing (for 63 months) three weeks ago at Shingle Springs (California) Nissan/Subaru. Got the color, options and accessories I wanted at the price I wanted. The 0% was just the icing on the cake.
    Took the car on a 1200 mile roadie and pulled about 30 mpg the whole way.

The dealership experience was a positive one. Low pressure and knowledgeable. The car I bought was the forth one I had test driven that day.

I thought about a matrix, but by the time a got the same options, the price went way up. I like Toyota cars, but hate the way they nickel and dime you out the door.
    Actually the automatics are fairly robust.
  • holisticnurseholisticnurse Member Posts: 3
    Hi all, I thought I'd already posted this question elsewhere but can't find it again.
    Could someone point me in the direction of a good website for WRX aftermarket parts or even parts I can get during the deal? The subaru website isn't great at showing what's available.
    Also, I have two toddlers & want to get most bang for buck. What is the best for actually having a life besides "racing": sedan, hb, or wagon? I thought the sedan would be the best, but now not so sure. The wagon seems pretty big for trunk space too. I have a fantastic Acura RSX Type S and I love it, but it's not kid-friendly. At least the WRX has the -go- and it has 4/5 doors.
    Any recommendations on SoCal Dealerships who play fair & work well with others?
    Many thanks gurus!
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830
    Hi holisticnurse

Welcome to CarSpace!

We have a lot of discussions related to the WRX. This is one is geared towards pricing of new cars, but you can see the other ones here: Subaru Impreza

regards,
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• minime5minime5 Member Posts: 41
    Hi everyone,

I just picked up a new Base Impreza 2.5 last night for my son. It's my first experience with Subaru. I thought it was a great deal. Base 2.5, only option addded was automatic trans.

Sticker: 19,1xx
    Rebate: 1,500
    Discount: 2,100
    Total before ttl: 15,540

Plus I got the 0% financing for 48 months. My original plan was to buy him a 3 year old 4WD little SUV (RAV4, CRV), but this turned out to be much cheaper.

So what am I now - a Subarite?
    So what am I now - a Subarite?

Smart.

;)

Amazing price. Less (a lot less) than some people are paying for Fits and Cubes, and you have a far more substantial car.
  • dk_drumsdk_drums Member Posts: 1
    Hello..

I've been trying to get a good price on a Outback Sport today, and the best I have come up with is 20,300 OTD in Connecticut (where I live). I would have thought that was a good price judging by Edmunds "TMV" (around 19,600 + tax/tags/conv), but I have seen lower prices advertised on Fitzmall.com and other dealerships in the DC metro area.

When I tell dealers around here about those prices, they act like I'm crazy or must be mistaken and there's no way they can sell it cheaper. What's my plan?

Right now I'm expecting to travel to Maryland or VA to buy my new car.
  • rpennarpenna Member Posts: 6
    I'm looking to buy a 2009 WRX. As of right now there's no incentives on WRX's, and locally (Northeast) the APR on a 60 mo financing plan is 3.9%. The current (non)incentives are good till August 4th.

I was wondering if anyone had heard any whispers of cashback or 0% coming on the 2009 WRX's next week. WRX's seem to be in short supply around here, so I'll jump on one if I need to, but don't want to miss saving some cash if there's some around the corner.
  • thefirstrulethefirstrule Member Posts: 2
    Should have gone with the manual transmission, automatics are weak.
  • robm2robm2 Member Posts: 53
    4EAT is a proven beast. Nothing weak about it. That's why they keep using it.
  • signalksignalk Member Posts: 13
    I looked on truecars.com and, according to them, a 2009 Impreza premium "good price" would be $15,750! This sounds insane but, if you take into account that 1. the 2010 Imprezas are going to be $1,000 less than the 2009's. 2.there is a $1500 cashback incentive in the Northeast so you're already looking at a bare minimum $2500 below MSRP, or $18,500 3. 2009 Inventory seems to be very high at this point and the 2010's are going to be out momentarily 4. These cars usually go for well below invoice...........A price of $16,500 might be achievable.
    I don't care if it's auto or manual or the color. Of course, I haven't tested this out yet and I'm sure I'll get the same dealer BS or "no way we can sell it for that" but I just might try it and see. Any comments?
    Make the trip. Come down by train, to go Union Station in DC.

You can then go over to the Subway stop and take the redline towards Shady Grove on the "Metro". You won't even have to transfer. Hop off at the White Flint stop, and Fitz has a shuttle that will pick you up.

I can vouch for them because we've purchased several cars there, including our current 09 Forester. If you want I can give you a referral to a specific salesman I like. It's coachjuiceman at gmail.com.

Then you can drive back. Heck, stay for a while and go say hi to the Obamas.
  • aaykayaaykay Member Posts: 539
    As a current owner of the 2007 WRX Wagon, I was recently seriously looking at replacing my other car with the STI (toy for myself) but never had seen an STI anywhere recently.

Anyway, one of our local dealships finally got one in stock and I was shocked with a couple of things:

a) Price: $40K Sticker. Talk about sticker shock ! I could not believe that they had the cojones to ask for $40K for such a product. I know that baser models that don't come with all of the BBS wheels and NAV and such, can be had for less but to be quite honest, asking $40K for basically a $30-32K car was stunning to me. Maybe the idea behind this move is to essentially price the STI out of the reach of the people interested in it, and channel such users into buying the regular WRX. But anybody with some knowledge of Subaru products, do know how much more superior is the hardware underneath the STI (front/center/rear high-end mechanical differentials, bullet-proof - and heavy - 6 speed transmission, large high performance Brembos and variety of other things big and small), over the cheaper WRX, even though purely from a horsepower standpoint, the new WRX is not too far off the STI's numbers. Subaru probably relies on the lowest common denominator looking at the horsepower numbers and some visual body cues and thinking the WRX is "close enough" to the STI for a much cheaper price.

b) The "Minivan" seats: Subaru should be ashamed to market this car as a raging high-performance product and equip it with such flat and useless seats. These should really be equipped with Recaros (like the STI's primary competition, the EVO). Hell, even the Honda Civic SI's come with seats that will truly hold one in place for sprited driving. The Subaru product planner who sanctioned such seats for the US-market STI, should be sacked, IMHO. I understand that the non-US market STIs do get high-performance seats and why in the heavens is Subaru shy about putting some good seats in such a product ? The spreading posteriors of the customers in the US ? Even the seats in my 2007 WRX are pretty lousy seats but such seats in the STI are a disgrace to the STI branding. :mad:
    Nobody pays sticker, so the price on that label is pretty much meaningless.

If you don't like haggling, just check fitzmall.com, walk in and pay the price on the window, already discounted to a real-world mid 30s level loaded up, low 30s base.

I agree it costs a bunch more than the base WRX, though, and indeed few people are going to make that jump.

Disagree on the seat, though, I HATE the seats in the EVO, can't stand them. Don't fit at all, extremely confining. I'd be more comfortable in an electric chair. :D
    Wow, I am 6'2" tall, 225lbs with fairly long limbs and I fit just fine in the recaros in the EVO. I find the Honda Civic SI seats very good too. So are the seats in the S2000, the NSX, the Porsche 911 Turbo, the BMW 3-series including the M3 etc. All of these have excellent support with no feeling of being uncomfortable. My neighbor's 2002 WRX also has EXCELLENT seats, except for a slight improvement needed for lumbar support.

I am guessing you must be a very large guy to not fit in the EVO's seats at all. :surprise:
    =================
    Nobody pays sticker, so the price on that label is pretty much meaningless.
    =================
    True, but when the INVOICE of the car is 38,000+, one wonders if buying the STI is a good deal or should one widen one's horizons into significantly more prestigious options that fall in the same price bracket.

Bottomline, it was essentially a $30K car that was loaded upto the wazoo with options that provide literally nothing over a base version. BBS wheels ? The stock wheels in the exact same size and width, are fully functional, as far as I am concerned. That cheap-looking NAV ? My Garmin 855 functions even better. Why should they load up the car with a bunch of these kinds of options and essentially drive away potential customers ? That car has been sitting unsold for a while now, according to someone I know but the dealers don't have too much scope to deal, other than trying to sell it for Invoice.....which too is over-priced.
  • catch822catch822 Member Posts: 9
    What did you end up finding in regard to the Outback Sport prices? I'm looking at an '09 model, AT, and here's what I've gotten from a local dealership:

$19884 before TT&L
    He says that price includes the current $1500 incentive that's available right now
    0.0% interest

Dealer claims he's discounted it as much as he can...and by now, I'm so tired, I can barely think straight. Any insight, Impreza experts?
    Don't like the S2000 seats, either. I'm about 6' and 213 lbs last time I checked.

The EVO's seats pinch, ah, the junk in my trunk. :D

Did they change over the last couple of model years? I haven't sat in one in a year or two.

I was one of the few people that thought the STI's seats improved that 3rd model year when they made them wider. Plus the alcantara is very grippy.
    I don't get why people complain about options prices for options they don't want anyway.

Got a Garmin? Me too. Sweet. Why complain about the $40k price if the STI you'd want doesn't even have NAV?

I have this same argument in the minivan threads regarding the Sienna. People screaming OH MY GOD they cost $42 grand.

Sure, if you need AWD, laser cruise control, HIDs, and a power folding 3rd row seat.

If you don't, get a loaded XLE+DVD+Navi+heated leather+moonroof for $33k street price.

That's still "loaded" to most people.

I guess you can complain that the dealer simply ordered the wrong model, but that's not Subaru's fault.
  • Old_SchoolOld_School Member Posts: 4
    Well,

I wonder if it would be better to for for aftermarket seats, if the stock ones are not up too snuff.

I don't know how much of the car's electronics are tied into the seats, but I would just budget the money and go aftermarket, if I was fine with the rest of the car.
    =========
    I wonder if it would be better to for for aftermarket seats, if the stock ones are not up too snuff.

=========

Yeah, but the stock factory seats have airbags and other SRS related stuff within it. I have no intention to add aftermarket seats by replacing those.
    ================
    I don't get why people complain about options prices for options they don't want anyway.
    ================

If I had an option, that is exactly what I would have done. Unfortunately, the dealer did a locate in-and-around Minnesota and found 2 09 STIs. One is the local one being MSRPd at $40,884 and the other is in South Dakota being MSRPd at $39000. Not too many options there ! :sick:
    True, but again, the dealers simply ordered the wrong models.

Maybe not, if they're able to sell them, I'm sure the profit margin is bigger.

When I went Sienna shopping, the funny thing was it was the loaded ones that sold first. I found TONS of base models, mid-line LEs, and fairly loaded XLEs.

Even right now kens (Legacy owner and former Forester owner) is actively shopping for a loaded AWD and cannot find them. He actually had to hire a broker, can you believe it?

Those are the ones that sell first, at least in the minivan segment.

The STI buyer is very, very different, though.
    ============
    True, but again, the dealers simply ordered the wrong models.
    ============

I agree that the dealers got the wrong models, since I have zero intention of paying at-or-around $40K for the STI, since such prices are really in the serious money ballpark where there are lots more heavy hitters available, including from seriously prestigious marques. And based on the amount of time they have been sitting unsold, it is clear that other potential buyers also have been having similar thoughts. Even the NAV in the STI/Impreza line looks cheesy and tacked-on, beside the classy-looking NAVs available in the Tribeca or the new Outback/Legacys.

Wonder what they were thinking when they ordered these STIs the way they did. Maybe having such a over-priced STI in plain sight, might act as an incentive to drive more volumes in WRX sales ? Where the buyers think they are getting "almost an STI" at a seriously reduced price, when they get a WRX ? Who knows what their reasons were. :confuse:
  • yaoyichiyaoyichi Member Posts: 1
    We got a 2009 Impreza 2.5 Premium yesturday (8/29) from Subaru Santa Monica.
    19629 plus fee and tax, 48 months 0% apr. You might get it cheaper if you ask around, but we were tired. I like the guy Billy Lourie who sold us the car. He was candid and upfront to us (didn't mention any of the usual dealer crap like 0% is free money, so we want to sell you more).
    The car runs good, we like it!
  • holisticnurseholisticnurse Member Posts: 3
    We went to Bob Baker (8-26) in Carlsbad for a base WRX sedan, and after shopping around & talking to 6 dealerships seriously, the best deal I could get was 22618 (with iPod/cargo tray/auto dimming mirror w/compass) before TT&L. We also did the 0% and no trade. Wasn't that excited about our salesman-the fellow I dealt with 99% of the time left just after we arrived to test drive & the co-salesman was kind of shifty. When it came time to do the deal, #2 tried to weasel out of what I had already negotiated with salesman #1. Although I did absolutely insist on a specific color (blue) and I'm sure if I would've been more flexible on the color I would've gotten a better deal. We also got a bunch of aftermarket parts (ie: exhaust, fog light package, grille/body side molding, amp/sub, etc) and the prices they charged were significantly different than those listed on Edmunds & CarsDirect. The salesman showed me their price list so I know I wasn't getting hosed. That might be more helpful to have a more accurate price list available.
    We love the car & are very happy with our decision. We're still awaiting our complete install of aftermarket parts which should take another 1-2 weeks.
    Cheers~
    Maybe this will make you feel better - I was reading a review of the Audi Q5 and the sticker was over $49 grand.

Yikes.

And it didn't even have every option. You could easily break $50k!
  • rayfinkel32rayfinkel32 Member Posts: 1
    NADA says the invoice on a base STI is just over 33k. So yeah, no way would I pay more than that. Not in this market. Any dealer that has the misfortune of having to sell an STI should be happy to get invoice.

I'd offer 10 percent under invoice just to see what they say.

http://www.nadaguides.com/subaru/impreza-wagon-wrx/2009/05308204.html
  • signalksignalk Member Posts: 13
    I received a price 8/31 ('only good for today") of $17,995 from a dealer in NJ for an Impreza Outback Sport M/T. This is one of the few '09's M/T left in the NY area, so there isn't much of a choice as far as color. I thought it was a great price until they added $299 admin fee and another $356 for NJ plates which we had to pay even though we are in NY (??). They said we would get back the difference once the registration went through. I didn't pursue it b/c we are not in any hurry. I figure now is not the time to buy because of limited inventory due to the clunkers rebates; in a month or so when the car dealers are sitting around with 2010 inventory on their hands we'll have more of a choice and probably more negotiating power. Plus what I really want is a base 5 dr M/T. FYI.
    I'd wait, for sure. More selection, it's not the model you want, prices will drop. You have no real reason to rush the purchase.
  • merrycynicmerrycynic Member Posts: 340
    Admin fee? NJ plate fee?
    What nonsense! Don't pay it!
  • ryanuscryanusc Member Posts: 1
    $18,225 + tax, license
    $20,100 OTD
    Negotiated free floor mats, cargo mat
    Barber Subaru in Ventura, California
  • davideason777davideason777 Member Posts: 1
    I just got my IMPREZA 2.5i premium auto 5 door in Reno NV.
    20500 OTD w/ lifetime oil change and floor mats. I hope this is a good deal. :shades:

Lithia Subaru, Mr. Bob
  • andrewinla2andrewinla2 Member Posts: 13
    Bought a 2009 Premium hatchback early in Oct 09 at Puente Hils Subaru.
    Car had 18" rims and STI lip spoiler with some SPT add ons that made the car sticker for over $30K.

I negotiated based on the $28K sticker before the add-ons.
    got the car for $25 +TTL.

Its not bad car and now that I have over 1K miles can get into the powerband.
    The car has power but leans heavily..this is a 2009 so the 2008 must lean more in turns.
    Its a nice looking car but Im over 35 and many ask me about my boy racer car.

Complaints are small but in order of significance:
    Lots of road noise, but it may be the 18" wheel/tire combo.

Cheap plastics used for door skins and dash parts.
    I could have had a GTI for less and the interior is so much classier and upscale.

A bit vague shifter.

MPG of 20 is not great but it does have high horsepower & you dont buy this car for MPG.

It is economy car body with high output engine so its deceiving.

Good things:
    Smooth ride
    Roomy
    Hatch design with 4 doors is all the utility I need. Why buy a SUV?
    Reliability...?hoping.