Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Subaru Impreza and Impreza WRX STI Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,175
    Subaru sells an STi short-shift kit that will tighten up your shifter... My base Impreza came with it (port-installed).. It's one of the best features of my car.. :)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    But the GTI is slower and wrong wheel drive...

Congrats on the WRX. :shades:
  • kmk6933kmk6933 Member Posts: 7
    09 WRX Premium Sedan
    Satin White Pearl, Homelink, Armrest Extension, etc.

MSRP $28,705 - $4,750 discount = $23,955+TTL
    Also offered 0%-48 or 2.9%-72

Could I go lower? I know someone got a non-premium 09 WRX for $23,800 OTD back in Sept.
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    That seems like a great price! How much of that discount is manufacturer cash?

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• andrewinla2andrewinla2 Member Posts: 13
    I know the GTI FWD aspect takes away from the car performing at its peak.
    But the high grade interior is nice to have on a daily basis.

On the dry streets of Los Angeles it may rain a 2-3 months out of the year and not very much.

For the few track events it will be benefit though, and too late to whine about it.
    Thanks!!!
  • andrewinla2andrewinla2 Member Posts: 13
    I got to $25K +TTL so your deal is real good.
    I got offered 0% for up to 4 years and 2.9% for 60 or 72 months.
    Im on the 4 year plan.

Do it if thats the car you want.
    Seems like 5 door is more difficult to find.
  • alex106alex106 Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone else had this experience, and found a solution to the problem? I am quite confused: the invoices as found on TrueCar, Edmunds, and KBB do not match, and by quite a bit. To make sure I was making the right comparison, I prized the 2010 Subaru Impreza, manual, 5 door (Hatchback), PREMIUM, with NO additional packages or options: the invoices still do not match: 19,040 (TrueCar); $18,354 (Edmunds); 18,818 (KBB) (these are all invoice prices that include the $695 delivery charge). Everywhere on the internet you find articles on how important (and possible) is to find the dealer's invoice, as a base for negotiation. You also read that the dealer's and your invoice must match exactly. Yet, the discrepancies between these three website - which are the three main ones - are so glaring to make these tools, at least for this car, useless. Any suggestions? Thanks!
  • gee_eye_joegee_eye_joe Member Posts: 1
    Anyone had any experience at Mid City Subaru of Chicago (Irving Park Road)?
    I am also interested to know what experiences people have had with having after-market stuff installed there?

I appreciate any input, thank you.
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    The experience I've had with Mid City was awful. Nearly every car dealer stereotype was played out.
    If the dealership is convenient to you, and you know exactly what you are willing to pay before you go there, take a calculator to double check the figures, and let us know your evaluation of Mid City.

Their Better Business Bureau rating is A+ for what it's worth.
  • rumc3rumc3 Member Posts: 31
    You probably already have your car, since I'm just reading your post on 3/4/10.
    Consumer Reports says the "invoice price" today is more of a marketing tool than anything.
    CR says the most important factor is DEALER COST, and the INVOICE is NOT it!
    I'm not sure what the percentage of MSRP represents actual dealer cost, but I'd be surprised if it were much more than 82-83%.
  • jpmiller99jpmiller99 Member Posts: 50
    A dealer has a 2009 Impreza GT that I am interested in with an MSRP of 28.2K.
    Does anybody have any idea of what to pay for this car, or if there are any rebates available? I couldn't find any incentives for the 2009's, if they even exist now.

Thanks in advance for any help.
    edited June 2010
    Use fitzmall.com as a price reference, if you're in the MidAtlantic region.

I think Van Bortel is another no-haggle dealer, they're in the NY area.
  • verinoxverinox Member Posts: 76
    Just leased a 2010 Impreza 2.5 premium sedan (MSRP 19,200 or so) for 235/mo including tax (7.75% for cleveland) and with all fees and first months payment rolled into the price of the car. Pretty happy with the deal I got - a little out of my comfort zone monthly payment wise (wanted closer to 200) but for a car like the Impreza, I'm happy with the price.
    Congrats. The Premium package is a deal, too.
  • babyjet2babyjet2 Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2010
    Is $16,900 + tax/service fee a good price for a new 2010 Impreza 2.5i 5 door, automatic in the Midwest? The dealership is offering 1.9% for 36 months or less or 3.9% for 60 mo. Wondering if I should try to negotiate anything...

This discount is because the 2011 are out. Does that mean I should buy now? I can wait till early August but don't want to miss out on any good leads.
  • milemmilem Member Posts: 39
    Hi,
    Has anybody purchase an Impreza 2010 or 2011 Premium or base lately ?

I'm trying to know what is a good price ?
    Thanks
  • bansweebanswee Member Posts: 2
    Hi. newbie here. Just traded in my 2008 CRV EX-L. I got the 2011 subaru WRX for $405 a month .

details: base WRX with center armrest, autodimming mirror, short throw shifter in WR blue color. MSRP of $26, 924.00.. they told I can get it by $25,052.00. + 2.9 % financing= $27,+++.00

payment: $405/mo.for 63 mos + $500.00= $26,015.00

They must have increased my trade-in value and they lowered the price of the car. (I think my price was lower than $700.00 from what they have offered)
  • dhamiltondhamilton Member Posts: 878
    If you think that Subaru dealers are making 16-17% on cars then I got a bridge to sell you. Only dealers making that kind of money are exotic guys, and every once in a while a used car that they stole on trade in.
    I was in the business for a long time, invoice is about 2-5% on a Subaru [most manufacturers]
  • bansweebanswee Member Posts: 2
    sorry. direct to the point please...
  • morganchiumorganchiu Member Posts: 8
    This is the dealer's offer without haggling. How low can it go? Any help is appreciated. TIA.
  • cooners77cooners77 Member Posts: 4
    We just purchased a 2011 Subaru Impreza 2.5i 5-door Automatic for $16,800 then plus tax and DMV fees, chose the 2.9% financing instead of the promotional 1.9% (would have had a higher monthly payment). Very satisfied, beautiful car, first Subaru for us have always wanted one! cant wait to take some adventures with it. At the end of the year i think you get better deals too.
  • hellagranthellagrant Member Posts: 31
    Sounds like you got a great deal. What was the MSRP of that vehicle?

Enjoy your new ride.
  • cooners77cooners77 Member Posts: 4
    The MSRP on our Subie was $19,791.00 and that was also an automatic that we got! My husband was on the phone with 4 different subaru dealers in our area negotiating prices! ha ha!! thanks! we love our subie :)
  • logs1logs1 Member Posts: 10
    That seemds quite low, and there was no additional doc fee? You are saying you were ++ OTD? Was this a base model, Auto, AWD, hatchback?

I am trying to buy the same thing but am not yet near that pricing. I assume you had no trade.

Thanks
  • hellagranthellagrant Member Posts: 31
    2011 Impreza Outback Sport
    Automatic
    no add-ons
    36months 12k

Selling Price 19,500
    Money Factor = about 0.0025
    Residual = 64%

down payment = $500
    monthly = about $250 not including tax

good luck everyone, thanks carman for many years of help

If you use this forum please post up your numbers after the sale. Help people.
  • plugin29plugin29 Member Posts: 1
    Would you please let me know which dealer or saleman you got the deal from? I am in need of a new car.

Thanks
  • jcl157jcl157 Member Posts: 2
    just got a used 2010 subaru impreza 2.5i premium w/ all weather package for 19.6K out the door. hopefully that's a good enough deal... the car only had 10K miles on it... so still fairly new. bought it from van bortel subaru.
  • scott6113scott6113 Member Posts: 18
    Here's what we just put a deposit down on:

2011 2.5i premium sedan with power moonroof value package. Auto.
    Armrest, side moldings, splash guards, spoiler. White.
    $19,600 out the door. Subaru of Manchester (NH). I have a purchase and sale that spells out that documentation, destination, dealer prep., full tank of gas, absolutely everything is in that price. All I have to pay is the state for plates, excise and sales tax, insurance to my insurer and my wife takes her princess home
    Consumer reports said cost including holdback on this car was $19837. MSRP was 21549.
    Dealers don't lose money, so there's something CR doesn't know.
    Cash, no trade. That is the only way to get the actual price. People who claim to get these cars for $16800 but had the dealer do the financing? So much can be hidden there. Why not use home equity and get the mortgage interest tax deduction?
    Salesperson said holdback was $800, CR said it ws $535. That would put his cost at $19572, still not sufficient profit. He said that those pricing services like Consumer Reports are inexact. $1949 off list. Quirk in MA says it does $1885, but I bet when you get there they tack on doc fees, etc..
    We had quotes from 5 dealers. This one was the best and no games. Yet. The car is in transit. The accessories are installed at the port, so we could get just what we wanted in the color we wanted, no more, no less.
    They had inventory not just in rows but filling the driving space between the rows. Some cars they'd have to move 10 other cars just to get out. I think they're motivated. They're close to having to rent out an extra lot, and that can't be free.
    Still, I wonder if with the model changeover later this year they'll be better deals with leftovers. Something to consider if you aren't in dire need.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,145
    If you live in a warm climate and recently bought a Subaru, a reporter wants to interview you. Please email pr@edmunds.com no later than Wednesday, March 9, 2011 and provide your daytime contact information and a few words about your decision.

Thanks,

Jeannine Fallon
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• sm5199sm5199 Member Posts: 4
    Hi Folks,

Here's the deal I recently made: (Car man-let me know what you think)

2011 Impreza 2.5i Premium
    all weather package
    spoiler
    moonroof package
    cargo mat (?)
    splash guards

MSRP $21403

sale price $18,767.23

residual value $14,334.39

money factor .00160

tax 8.75 % $567

acquisition fee $895

inspection,DMV,tire $97.50

This is for a 36 month lease. I will give them $1,500. I also have to pay $75 for registration.
    Monthly payment $180.

I did not find out where the $1,500 is being applied. I assume it will cover the tax and the acquisition fee.

The money factor and residual amount are numbers the dealer gave me.
    My credit score is 810, not sure if that affects anything.

Is the acquisition fee really that high? Seems a little outrageous to me.
    Well, let me know if you think this is a good deal or not and thanks for your help!

Susan
    Sounds about right. If it is an automatic. I assume sedan since the spoiler is added on. We purchased one outright for $19600 and your sale price plus acquisition is right there. I don't care how they slice it, money's money.

Ours is a sedan, premium, power moonroof value package (which includes heated seats, heated wipers, heated mirrors and fog lights, a deal at $500), automatic with arm rest extension, side moldings, splash guards and spoiler.

I'm an MBA and have crunched the numbers on leases. They practically never are good deals for consumers. FWIW, Suzie Orman agrees:

http://biz.yahoo.com/pfg/e16buylease/

:blush:

Scott
  • sm5199sm5199 Member Posts: 4
    Thanks, Scott.

Yes, it is an automatic. Same extras as yours except for the arm rest extension.

The Suze Orman article on Yahoo Finance was interesting.

Take care,

Susan
  • needgneedg Member Posts: 13
    I was in the process of purchasing a WRX limited in northern California and received offers from two dealerships for a WRX limited with the following options:

WRX Hatchback Limited $28,037
    S/T Shifter $231
    Autodimming Mirror/Homelink $182
    Rear Cupholder $57
    Armrest Extension $100
    All Weather Mats $39

Total invoice price is (according to dealer) $28,646, which is within $3 of Edmunds.com invoice pricing. Dealer selling price of $27,046, while Edmunds.com has a TMV of $28,951. Added fees of $8.75 tire fee, $55 doc fee, $401 license, and $2,506 San Jose sales tax. Out the door is $30,017.

Edmunds.com has a TMV $1,905 higher than what the dealers are willing to sell at, at least through the internet department. The price is also lower than what Truecar and CarsDirect are offering as the selling price. This is for a car being ordered from the factory (6-8 weeks lead time) and no trade-in considered. Subaru dealerships will apparently give lower prices on cars ordered from the factory versus purchased on their lots, as the lowest price that I could get for a car in stock was at least $800 higher than this price, and it is from the same dealer and salesman that is offering the $30,017 OTD price.

I placed the order for the WRX, but became impatient waiting for it and ended up purchasing an STI instead. I purchased a 2011 Plasma Blue Pearl STI with short throw shifter, roof carrier, all weather mats, homelink, rear cupholders for 38,616.70 OTD (9.25% sales tax, $495 DMV, $55 doc fee). Invoice was $35,576 and my price before taxes and fees was $34,839.

The STI is awesome. The deal I got on the WRX could not be beat, and a few dealers told me that they could not compete. The STI probably had some more room to negotiate, but I wanted it the next day and the dealer was going to have to trade.
  • junjjunj Member Posts: 3
    Scott,

What is the sell price?
    Thanks,

Jun
    $19600 out the door.
  • galevergalever Member Posts: 7
    edited April 2011
    Dealer in PA quoted me the following:

2011 Subaru Impreza 2.5i Premium
    Options Pkg 11 - Power Moonroof, Fog Lamp, All Weather Package
    MSRP: $21,704
    Discounted Price: $20,734 +Tax&Tags
    Center Armrest, Splash Guards & AutoDim Mirror w/ Compass

Is this a good price? I think it's good, but not great.
    The only thing the one you're describing has that mine hasn't is the autodim mirror. Doesn't seem to be worth the extra thousand. Mine has the center armrest, spoiler and side moldings. Mine has the premium package, the power moonroof value package also. Mine is the sedan. If you're talking the hatch that's five hundred more, so that could be a part of it.
  • galevergalever Member Posts: 7
    Sorry I should have specified that this is the hatch and automatic.
  • shawnsta505shawnsta505 Member Posts: 1
    I am looking into buying a used Subaru Impreza WRX. I am going in tomorrow to check out a 2005 WRX manual going for $17,300 w/ 61,000 mileage at a dealership.

What is a reasonable price and a good price? KBB says 16k and Edmunds says 13k.

I am comfortable spending 15k, is this too low?

Any advice would be great. Thank you!
  • bunballbunball Member Posts: 2
    Hi,

I went to a dealer recently. Tested drive a 2010 WRX Limited with only 3200 miles on it. The dealer offer $27,800 and I thought the deal was alright, but than I saw the new 2011 WRX (not limited) started at $25,495 (in Subaru official site). Am I being rip off?

Though, when I checked the edmunds, the TMV for 2010 WRX limited is still ~$28,000. I'm confused. Aren't there suppose to be some depreciation on a one year old car?
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    It's a supply-demand issue. The Japanese quake has made many new models scarce, thus forcing up the price of used models. Once new car inventories get back to normal (perhaps in 6 months or so), the price of used cars will drop a bit.

Bob
  • bunballbunball Member Posts: 2
    Thanks! That makes some sense.
    Even before the quake, residuals on recent Subarus are so strong, you may as well buy new. Interest rates on loans are also lower.
  • jamesp4jamesp4 Member Posts: 3
    Anybody negotiate a price on a 2012 WRX yet?

Saw the following on another forum:
    2012 Impreza WRX STi 4-door base model
    MSRP $34,845
    Invoice $33,013
    Your Sale Price with us $31,949

I'm looking for a Limited WRX (non STI) with just a few basic options:
    Dimming rear view mirror w/ homelink
    Armrest
    Rear bumper cover
    Bodyside moulding
    Wheel locks

JP
  • ods2010ods2010 Member Posts: 12
    Anyone has done a pre-order.

What is the cost that is been quoted for you ? please share your price.
    Looking for
    2012 Impreza Premium 5-Door with CVT auto transmission
    I guess in CA, PZE is automatic...

There are still a few 2011 Nissan Juke AWD in my area. I am confused to go with cheaper 2011 Nissan Juke or wait and give a deposit for Impreza.
    2012 Juke AWD cost same as Impreza so have a limited amount of time to decide.

Please share your experience and thoughts
  • techdudetechdude Member Posts: 87
    Test drove a 2012 Impreza Premium Hatch and was given a price of 21,240 with the all weather package (excludes tax, dmv, etc). What do you guys think? I'd probably add a few finishing touches as far as accessories goes. I drive close to 600 miles a week so fuel economy is very important and the the AWD is a major plus. I've narrowed it down to this and the 2012 Focus and trying to figure which vehicle will give the most bang for the buck without breaking the bank.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Is it CVT or stick? If it's a CVT, that's only $305 under MSRP. If it's a stick... it's OVER MSRP. You should be able to do better than that.

The Impreza Premium hatch with 5MT is in my top tier of choices for my next car, and I'm looking at the Focus also. Which Focus are you looking at? My favorite is the SE hatch with the stick and the lowest-priced package with cruise. On the X-Plan plus current incentives ($1500 in my area now) I could get that car for about $17,300. Adding sport package (if you need alloys) would be another $500 or so. If you let the Subaru dealer know you are considering the Focus SE hatch and give them a ballpark price (after doing some shopping), maybe they'll change their tune on their near-list offer.

Another hatch to check out is the Mazda3i Touring with Skyactiv. Great fuel economy, a blast to drive (especially with the 6MT), and list is only around $19.7k (MT), and incentives are available.

Of course neither the Focus nor Mazda3 have AWD.
    It was a CVT and i got another quote from a dealer a little further away for 20,099, but the accessories i wanted were priced slightly higher as well. I was going to throw out a number to them early this week and see if they are in the Christmas spirit. I'm following TMV pricing so hopefully i can land the Premium with all weather pkg for closer to 20k.

I also check out the Focus SE package with the 203A package and got xplan pricing as well for 21452. I like the Focus driving feel a little better, but think the Impreza is more refined. The AWD is also a good to have. I thought about the Mazda as well, but i'm always suspicious of first gen tech such as SkyActiv. Anyway, good luck with your search!
    I got two quotes for the same vehicle with all weather package for 21240 and another for 21099. Everyone i've spoken to who owns a Subaru swears by them and every other house where i live has a Subaru in the driveway. For the most part, they're not eye candy, but they get the job done. Good luck!
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,756
    If you're seriously considering the Focus, definitely compare it to the Mazda3. Considering the engine and transmission of the Impreza are both first-year offerings as well, you might as well not let that trip up your research too much.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250