Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Subaru Legacy Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,435
    happened to be at the dealer today, and saw a legacy (standard) sedan parked next to an Outback sedan. basically, the OB looked like the regular sedan standing on it's tiptoes, or as if someone jack it up to raise the body up off the suspension.

The Forester is sorta a boxy, quasi-SUV wagon version of the Impreza. The outback is the jacked-up version of the Legacy.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• cwbarrettcwbarrett Member Posts: 40
    I agree with juice. I owned a 2001 llb outback wagon and recently bought a 2006 Legacy sedan special edition. The llb had a smoother, more quiet ride.
    Have an offer on the table for a Legacy 2.5i SE 5 speed. Not an eact match, but probably closest to an Accord EX cloth in content (power seat, moonroof, etc.).

MSRP is $23,200 (has a few trim options), and I was offered it for ~$200 below invoice, or $21,050. Deduct the 1K rebate, and I would be at $20,050.

Price wise, hard to argue, just have to decide if I like it (it's also not the color I wanted), so might be a tough call.

• raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    Did the dealer present it as $200 below and give you the price as $21,050 or did you reach that conclusion yourself? I'm asking because you're off by about $1000 on the low side. Subaru doesn't have a $2200 profit loaded into the Legacy, that looks like the total with holdback.
    this topic ended up running on 2 threads (my bad). I'll post my resopnse here also, since this is the better place for it.

according to Edmunds, there is just about 2K spread on that car. The deal was presented (I think) as 2% below invoice, which would be ~$400, but I believe there was also advertising fee tacked on.

I didn't actualy make the deal as invoice - anything. A friend had gotten that offer (the 2%), and they said they were doing the same for me.

In any case, I know the MSRP and the selling price, which is just about 2.2K below sticker, before the rebate.

I don't care what they say it is as related to invoice, I just care that it is a good deal that satisfies me. But, they sure ain't making much on the deal, but they made the offer to me, so who am I to argue.

Edmunds posts the invoice including holdback, that's the discrepancy. Don't let it be of concern, it's still a great deal. 2% below is splitting the holdback with you, even if they have a doc fee that's in the hundreds you're still doing well.
    got an offer on an SE 5 speed. MSRP 22,620, edmunds invoice 20.973, dealer "cost" 21,248 (diff is advertising charge I think).

Purchase price is 20,823, so ~150 below edmunds invoice, and ~1,800 below MSRP. Less the 1K rebate, makes the final price before TTL 19,823.

Certainly a good value IMO, since it is a lot of car for the money.

• chgojarheadchgojarhead Member Posts: 6
    Hope someone can help us here. We have an offer for a 2006 legacy 2.5i SE wagon, auto trans.(6BD) for 20,400. We're trading in an old Eagle Summit with a broken transmission, so we're getting this legacy for 19,900 plus TTL in Eau Claire WI.

It's new, dealer bought it at auction from subaru with wind damage so no paint warrenty. MSRP is 24,820, dealer invoice w/o damage is 22979, we were offered the car for 19,900 with our broken car. Wind damage is barely noticeable to us. CARFAX shows new car on title with no negative info. We think were getting a great deal. Do you? :)
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    I think these models are a great value. Both the deals above look good to me, it's probably what I'd buy for my wife today if we were shopping.

-juice
    Wind damage? As in Katrina?
  • sanman76sanman76 Member Posts: 2
    Just purchased a 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon. I LOVE IT!!! I paid $23,170.00. I feel it was a fair deal seeing I was ready to throw 24+ on a 06 WRX. Totally psyched I went with the larger Legacy. I am 6'6" and the WRX was a bit small. I had this car shipped from CT to MA because no one had GT wagon with a 5 speed. I bought the second to last GT wagon 5 speed there was. Mine is black and the last one was red. This car is really hot. THE BEST CAR I HAVE OWNED HANDS DOWN!!! :shades:
    Lucky duck, you must've got one of the last ones. Is that price correct? Not a typo? Dang...

-juice
    Raybear your sharp! Your a few steps ahead of me. Dealer says the damage occurred at the plant lot in Lafayette, IN. You know what though, I'm going to be bringing a few tools with me to look for any signs of damage other than wind tomorrow when we pre-inspect the car before signing the paperwork. You bet I'll be looking for any watermarks especially the under door sill plates, I'll take them off and look underneath for any signs of debris. And closely look at the interior for any tell tale signs. And I will sign the purchase contract stating that I have been advised that this is not a katrina special!! Thanks for thinking ahead! We really appreciate the warning we overlooked totally!!! :lemon:
  • sanman76sanman76 Member Posts: 2
    No typo my friend. Even after trade in (old 92 pathfinder that was falling apart) plus tax and fees I was well under 24k. It was a deal I could not pass. I tried having them trow in a sub or momo shift knob, but they would not budge. Basically they were not making a profit, just moving the last of the 05 models. Honestly though, I am really psyched. This car flies!!! :P
    Probably that's all it was, some minor damage in Lafayette...if the paint warranty is all that's affected then that'll be the case. If they have to slap some funky aftermarket warranty on it you have a problem.
  • gearhead4gearhead4 Member Posts: 122
    I assume by now you purchased the 06 Leacy Wagon.
    The deal sounds excellent (providing it isn't a flood car).
    Your paying about the same as I paid for my 05 Legacy Sedan with manual trans. So, your price is $2000 better than mine. Even without the rebate, I figure you're buying at $500 below invoice.
    Jump on it!
    Jim W
    Thanks for your help! Picked up our new legacy wagon this past Sunday. Really appreciate your input. Made us feel more secure.
    Hey Jim! Drove this one home on Sunday. The dealer told us that Subaru sold a bunch of these at auction that had the wind damage. They used a special light to look for the paint damaged vehicles that wasn't visible to the naked eye. The paint didn't match their quality control standards so no paint warrenty could be issued. So the title says used vehicle because of the damage. But were happy, we got a new vehicle for a 05 price! Same bumper to bumper warrenty. Thanks for the advice!!
    Congrats. Join us in the Subaru Crew threads under Owners Clubs. We also have a live chat every Thursday night.

-juice
    the Sube dealer finally upped the offer on my current car, so I now have a real deal on the table. The new one is a 2.5i SE 5 speed, sticker of 22,620, plus 671 for the STi shifter and homelink mirror. So, about 23,300 sticker.

Sale price is ~21,500, so about 1.8K discount, minus the rebate bringing it to $20,500.

This is a standard SE, without any of the trim options (side sills, splash guards, etc.).

Looks to be about $150 under Edmunds invoice, and $400 under dealer invoice (including advertising), before the rebate.

This seems to be about as good as it will get now, and is actually as good (or better) than the FItzmall price, so I doubt there is much left on the table.

Now, just have to make sure it is the car that I want to grow old(er) with, and that the $$ difference is worth it (to trade in my '05 tC Scion). Trade diff is about $6,500.

I love that package, you almost have to buy that model.

Price sounds good, you weren't expecting us to talk you out of it, were you? ;)

IIHS Gold, baby. You could get something less safe, like a Volvo, Mercedes, or BMW, if you like living dangerously. :D

-juice
    Thanks for the invitation! Will do, see you there!
  • grace_gtgrace_gt Member Posts: 14
    That's a good price! Is $23,170 the total price OTD or before the regular fees?
    I am considering an Outback, but tomorrow I am going to the dealer to test drive a left-over 2005 GT Wagon/Auto that they are pricing at $23,800.
  • ferazineferazine Member Posts: 8
    Picked up 2006 Legacy GT Limited sedan for $600 under invoice on 12/30. $35 documentation fee. After we drove the car home, there were 2 messages on the answering machine with dealers offering $850 below invoice or more.
    When we signed the deal, as usual with car dealers, the Subaru rep tried to get us to sign the credit report approval, claiming that the IRS need it due to post 9/11. I said no that it's not necessary, and the form said that the info is used to obtain credit report for the purpose of financing only, and that their privacy notice indicate that they can sell our names and info to anybody they like.
    They claimed that it was to make sure that we have the money to pay for the car. I waived the cashier check in front to them. More BS from them. I told them that if they want my info and SSN to verify with the IRS, then give me another form with those specific words. Then I took the partially filled out form, folded it, and put it in my coat.
    They said that they would check with the finance manager (this always happens and the finance manager always says that it's not necessary to get a credit report unless one pays for by cash). After they left, I said that we can always walk away from this deal and call another dealer. They came back and said that I didn't have to sign any paperwork that I don't want to.
  • chris47chris47 Member Posts: 25
    What happened to the manual on the GT Wagon? I saw it on the 2005 model – now it seems to be gone. Why bother with a GT wagon if you have to get an automatic? The price is already getting too high.
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    The manual GT wagon is history. It makes no sense other than demand was so low it didn't justify offering it.
  • chris47chris47 Member Posts: 25
    Oh well, goodbye Subaru hello Saab.
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Which is one reason why I bought a new '06 WRX Limited wagon.

Bob
  • thatmakerthatmaker Member Posts: 1
    On the bubble btwn a 2005 gt lmtd wagon w/5 speed (11K miles) and a 2006 gt limited sedan. I'd prefer the wagon, but the price is too close to a new 06 sedan to make the mileage hit worth it:
    05 wagon: 25895
    06 sedan: 26517 (carsdirect)

I'm in Redmond, WA, and am wondering what I should expect for an OTD price on the 05 after negotiations...or if the 06 price is the better choice (the extra space in the wagon is nice to have, but not a necessity).

-Travis
    I've seen a new 2005 GT Limited Automatic advertised for $24,209 so that one may be a bit overpriced.
    Figure the wagon is worth a grand extra. I doubt you'll ever regret having the extra space.

-juice
  • ravilynravilyn Member Posts: 6
    Dont know if I really got a good price.
    Car: 2006 Subaru Legacy Sedan, Limited.
    Extras: spoiler, dimming mirror & splash guards. none of them
    I wanted. So am not going to count them into the invoice
    price.

Edmunds invoice (including destination charge) 23,947.
    Subaru incentive 1000$. Actual price paid: 23,200.
    Works out to 253$ over invoice.
    (If you include these extras, it works out to $257 below invoice).

What kind of deal I got?
    Good, Bad or Ugly?
    Extras count, absolutely. You paid $257 under, which means the dealer basically gave you most of the holdback.

You robbed the bank, and should even feel a little bit of guilt! ;)

-juice
  • ravilynravilyn Member Posts: 6
    I am glad I did not over pay.
    I really dont mind the dealer making profits, even tons
    of profit. My peer group is other internet savvy consumers.
    If I end up paying a lot more compared to them then I
    look like an idiot. That was my worry ;-)
    Looks like I got a good deal for that day. :D

[Just a week after my purchase, Subaru is advertising
    "upto" 2000$ cash back :cry: . Dont know if it is for 2005 or
    2006, for all s or for selected s.]

Will post a comment on buying experience soon.
    I'm not certain but I *think* that's $1000 off plus $1000 in savings on the SE package.

-juice
    There's still the $2000 rebate on 2005's.
  • ncctncct Member Posts: 2
    I am considering two wagons. 2.5 limited and 2.5 special edition. I want to have fog lights and heated seats. They are available as an option and as an after market item at a total cost of $900-950 on the special edition This makes the cost difference between the two wagons a little over $900. I have heard so many bad things about the automatic AC do I really want to spend the extra money and get leather seats and AC that has problems? Any suggestions. Thanks. allan
    I rely a lot on the aftermarket, personally. I installed a lot of things after the purchase - cruise, 6CD changer, moonroof, trailer hitch, etc. No problems here, and the cost is often less.

Be aware that you might not get it all back at resale, but if you keep it a long time that should not matter much.

-juice
  • eperramondeperramond Member Posts: 1
    Hey all,
    After a long hiatus from Subaru-land, I am back, after trading in an 04 Mazda3s with the automatic. Juice, I've seen your opinions on the 2.3/w/auto, that was apparently binned out from Ford: what a horrible experience. We got stranded (nearly bucked of I-25) in Castle Rock, between Denver and C. Springs a few weeks back. That in a car with less than 13000 miles on it! Egads. So it's back to a good, trusty Subaru - a 2006 Red Legacy GT with about $1k in options, out the door for $26,700.00 - not bad, considering the performance. And yes, it's a slushbox, but given my urban commute, worth it. Cheers and howdy to all. - Perrito :shades:
    Congrats, sounds nice.

Our next car might be a slushbox; right now we have 3 manuals.

-juice
  • subi2006subi2006 Member Posts: 1
    I bought Silver Legacy Sedan 2006 2.5i Special Edition for 20270 + 125 paperwork fee on Dec 31. Great car, the only problem that got me in trouble is the VIN number. The first 7 chars - 4S3BL62 are the same for both Special Edition and Limited (both dealership and SOA confirmed that). Limited is fully loaded and costs $3300 more. Both my insurance company and DMV registered my car as Limited and happily charged me more in premiums. Paperwork from the dealership stating the model as SE is not taken into account. I actually tried to argue my case at DMV, and got an official letter from them stating that I own a Limited. Backed up with paperwork they got from one of the VIN lookup shops. According to which Subaru only makes 2.5i (4S3BL61) and Limited (4S3BL62). SE does not exist. Checked all online VIN lookups like Carfax, etc - my car comes up as Limited everywhere, so I guess it's across board. Does anyone else get into the same kind of trouble?
  • bigringbigring Member Posts: 1
    I faced a similar question when I bought my '05 2.5i Limited wagon (SE was not available for '05s). I definitely wanted heated seats and the moonroof, but didn't care for leather or the climate control. I like my choice. The CC is weird, but I've got used to it. Love the huge moonroof, and use the heated seats every day. Winter has so mild I can't comment on the heated mirrors and the wiper de-icer, but I live in metro Washington, DC, so they never would have got that much play. The one thing I hate is the stereo: it sounds great, but I'd take external (mp3) input any day over a six-disc changer. Given the option of SE + heated seats vs. Limited, the stereo would be the deal breaker than made me pick the SE.
    On the insurance side, why not ask your dealer for a letter clarifying the model? I've never had anyone with this problem. The complaints I get is the Outback being listed as a Legacy.
    All I can think of is that the moonroof makes it structurally more similar to the Limited model. The leather is cosmetic, but the moonroof is not.

So they see it more as a decontented Limited, vs. a dressed up base model.

-juice
    Deja Vue? Same thing happened to me. Insurance coverage is for a LTD when i have a SE. My VIN is 4S3BP62 for a 2006 2.5i SE wagon i bought Dec 05. The same happens when you try to look for a SE on line for sale, all you see is LTD's at dealers. I'm going to check again with my insurance company and take raybears advice. Your the icebreaker on this one. Good catch. Alot of SE's have been sold so this is going to be a common problem, especially come accident time with the insurance companies.
    Keep us posted on your remedy; good hunting!
  • turbodturbod Member Posts: 10
    I bought a new legacy gt silver auto with auto dimming mirror compas, subwoofer. Paid 24,000.00 new - love this car awesome performance for the price. Keep hearing has same motor as sti but detuned. Anyone hear what how to get the 300 hp in the gt ? :)
  • driven3driven3 Member Posts: 1
    I am 2 wks away from purchasing a 06 Subaru Leg SE. This is my first time purchasing a new car & was wondering the best way to go about it. I live in SO CAL & notice that prices are little more than the midwest & East coast dealers. I will have 10k to bring to the table & don't want to pay more than 22k. Please advise?
    Offer them 22K, and see what happens! Timmons and Irvine are both pretty agressive when they need to be.
  • rumbah1rumbah1 Member Posts: 2
    Congrats on your new subaru! I just bought a new 05 Legacy GT auto sedan w/auto dimming mirror compas/perim. alarm, for $21,899. After seeing your price I wonder if I got the best deal. I am thrilled w/my new car because I had been driving a 94 civic which was great but it was due time to upgrade. The legacy is such a beautiful vehicle. I saw one on the road about 4 months ago and wondered "what car is that??", and looked them up on Edmunds. You know if you see an owner of a one of these cars that they did their research and got a smart car.
  • benji123benji123 Member Posts: 104
    Hi turbod,

Congrats on the car!! I'm just about to get a Legacy GT Ltd myself. Which dealer did you go with? Was it an '06 or '05? Did you go with Subaru financing or did you get it through another source? Best offer I've received is $25,600, though I haven't really negotiated hard yet.

I've been researching performance modifications for the Legacy for a little while now, and the fastest way to 300hp is through www.cobbtuning.com. Cobb sells a product called the AccessPort, which you can use to reprogram your car's ECU. I think just a simple reprogram gets the engine to 290hp/305tq, while adding an exhaust, etc gets you over 300. That'll be what I order the day after I get my Legacy.