Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Subaru Legacy Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• upperlynnupperlynn Member Posts: 1
    I'm wondering if someone can tell me what's a reasonable price to pay for a Legacy 2.5i Wagon (manual) in Vancouver, British Columbia? The vehicle I'm looking at has an MSRP of CAD$29,500. The most I've been able to knock off the price so far is $1800. Can I do better?
  • deadeye5deadeye5 Member Posts: 93
    Hi All Have been scanning SUBARU web site & Edmunds for
    costs.One shows clading on the lower body,other does not. Is the Legacy a little more $$ than Outback.??
    They both have the Turbo 2.5 I guess the dealer can ans the questions-will see him in a few days. Perhaps some of you can help before then tho ??? Have an 04 XT-love the
    power in it ....

Deadeye
  • raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    The Outback XT Limited automatic costs more than the Legacy. Try them both and decide if you want the added ground clearance the Outback offers; I think the GT offers a sportier ride.
  • benji123benji123 Member Posts: 104
    Just thought I'd put in a general request here that anyone who finds out what Subaru's incentives and finance rates are for March please let us all know!
    Most incentives got better, leases included...finally.
  • davis10davis10 Member Posts: 2
    I have an opportunity to purchase either an 05' VDC with very few miles (less than 5K) or an L.L. Bean with 30K miles on it. Both cars are like new but the VDC is priced about $5K more than the VDC. I'd appreciate any wisdom on which would be the wiser purchase and why. Thanks !
  • davis10davis10 Member Posts: 2
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    $5k is a big difference. You give up stability control and a few miles, but the H6 should last forever since it has a timing chain.

Call me cheap, but I'd pocket the $5 grand and get the Beanie. I think the VDC is worth $2-3 grand more, about.

-juice
  • alaskanwillalaskanwill Member Posts: 28
    Here's a nice lesson in supply and demand - people are bonkers for Subarus in Alaska. I'm looking at a 06 Legacy 2.5i SE wagon 5MT, optioned at $24,826 MSRP/$22,904 invoice including Alaska delivery. "List price" is $26,977. I told the internet salesman that I was looking for something closer to invoice before application of customer cash, and he replied with an "Internet Sale Price" of $24,802.

It looks like I won't be on here bragging about a good deal anytime soon! By the way, the Edmunds TMV is $24,171 for my Anchorage zip code.
    When I worked for one of the internet companies we had a lot of Alaskans buying cars in Seattle.
    That still happens often.

-juice
  • turbodturbod Member Posts: 10
    Hi rumbah 1,

Sorry for late reply havent been at edmunds in a while.
    Congrats to you also on your new subie ! You paid 21,899.00 ? wow ! Yeah I thrilled with my GT also great car. Great machine for the money ! Loved new r&d article on AWD test Legacy did great against more expensive cars. Seen it ? What state did you buy yur subie ? damn 21,899.00 new ?
    Hi benji 123,

Did you buy your GT yet ? Im in TN bought mine in nashville.
    Subies not so popular in TN so you can get a good price.Didnt go thru Subaru financing was pre approved already,so that enabled me to just talk price with the dealer not payments etc.
    Damn great info on performance mods thnx !!
    Let me know when you reprogram yours how worked etc !
    Keep in touch .
    What state you in ?
    My GT is 05 sedan to answer your question.
  • pjaxelpjaxel Member Posts: 2
    I'm looking at purchasing an 06 Legacy SE Wagon w/ auto this week. My best offer so far is from Stohlman at 20,995 rebate included, plus tax, title, tags, and a $225 processing fee. Any recent purchasers in the DC area with experience and/or advice? Thanks.
    That sounds pretty fair, and I've heard good things about Stohlman.

For comparison purposes, shop fitzmall.com as well (they are in Rockville and Gaithersburg). But I don't think you'll do any better.

-juice
  • bill82bill82 Member Posts: 1
    Hi Mike. I just took delivery of an '06 Legacy Limited Wagon which I ordered from the factory. I was able to negotiate a price of $26,600.00 (US). This included Console arm rest extender, auto dimming mirror with home link and compass, mud guards and rear protective matte. This price, which includes sales tax also included the $1000.00 rebate that Subaru was offering at the time of order. As far as GT vs normally aspirated, my decision was easy. I drove both, and although I was very impressed with the GT's performance, I was also impressed with the base engine. When I considered premium fuel and much less gas milage, it was easy choice for me. The Legacy Limited wagon is an unbelievable car for the money. And that statement is from someone who has driven Honda Accords for 12 years. Hope this helps, Mike.
  • pjaxelpjaxel Member Posts: 2
    Thanks, I did get a quote from Fitzgerald that was $300 less. Stohlman matched it without any problem. I ended up getting an 06 Legacy SE wagon, with only wheel locks extra, for $21,387 out the door. Very nice car. I would recommend Stohlman's internet department, low pressure and pleasant.
  • harriganharrigan Member Posts: 13
    Hi folks. Until recently I was considering leasing an 06 Legacy GT sedan with 5-spd tranny... am now thinking of buying. My numbers look okay compared to the Edmunds stuff, but it looks like other people are getting better deals. (I'm in Colorado.)

Dealer is offering $27,994 -- includes Homelink Mirror, Rocker Panel Trim, Subwoofer, Armrest Extension, Spoiler, Moonroof Deflector, Momo Shifter and window tinting.

That breaks down as follows: $29,029 for the car from the factory (includes Homelink Mirror, Sub, Rocker Trim and Armrest Extension). The options are the killer -- $486.50 for the Spoiler, Moonroof Deflector for $167, Momo Shifter for $112.50 and window tinting for $199. All "installed," which is why they say they're more than the factory invoice.

The $27,994 includes an "Internet Savings" of $952, but not the $1500 cash-back Suraru offer. So I'm out the door on this car for $26,494 + tax.

Fair price for Colorado?

I'm also considering third-party financing (5.95% through CapitalOne for 60 months) and am wondering if they're going to balk at that regarding the Internet Price and Cash-Back...

Thanks in advance,

-Harrigan
    One more question...

Since the dealer-installed version of these options costs more than the factory equivalent, it's actually cheaper for me to order the car from the factory. But that'll mean different incentives will apply. Anyone know if the incentives are supposed to improve or decline in the next two months?
    I had someone order an Outback when the rebate was $1000, now it's $1500, he wins...always a toss of the dice with Subaru, they like to give and take.
    Yeah -- so I guess the question is what have the rebates looked like over the past six months or so? Is the current $1500 rebate low, high, average, etc.?
    It depends on inventories, there's a chance it'll go to $2000 like the base model but you never know.

We had a $2000 rebate on the base Forester for the 2004 closeout and once they sold enough cars it went to $1500.
    I say if you find the exact car you want, color and options and tranny, then go for it now. Even if the price does drop, so does selection, and you'd probably have to settle for at least a color you did not want, maybe options too. And the options would eat up any price advantage.

So if you can find your exact car, I would not wait.

-juice
  • rumbah1rumbah1 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks! Yeah, 21,899... new 05 (650 miles), auto nonlimited GT, got it in Feb. I've read that article, pretty impressive. I bought my subie in Northern VA. Great experience,love my car, but got rearended the day the tags were put on! :(
  • ronlogicronlogic Member Posts: 4
    2006 SE sedan automatic transmission, no other options.
    Just under $22,450 out-the-door, including California TTL.
    I hope that's a reasonable price.
  • kernickkernick Member Posts: 4,072
    How do we know if it is reasonable since we don't know how much of that was TTL; therefore we don't know what you paid just for the car.

For example here in NH we have no sales tax, and we simply pay for the car at the dealer. Registration fees are done later at gov't offices. So let us know what you paid for the car (base+options+delivery+any dealer fees).
    Don't have the exact breakdown in front of me right now. I think the out-the-door amount included about $1800 in California taxes, $250 in various fees (dmv registration and documentation), plus a $9 "tire fee".

I worked strictly with out-the-door total quotes, because I didn't want to be "surprised" by various other added options, fees and charges after I got to the dealer (e.g. other ways to hide their markup). So I have no idea what they wrote in for the vehicles price or dealer fees. It's a 2006 2.5i SE automatic sedan with zero extra options. Maybe something for California emissions.

I'm very pleased with my new Legacy so far. I'd been driving my trustworthy Celica for 23 years, but, after 325k miles, the Toyota 2.2R engine was starting to burn oil a bit too much. My near base model new Legacy feels like a luxury sports car in comparison.
    Damn ..you got a great price !! Yep was cool article glad you had chance to read it, subie kicks [non-permissible content removed] ! love my GT also. Wow sorry to hear you had accident. Was much damage ?
    Gotten it fixed yet ? Rearended grrrr.
  • acuraowner1acuraowner1 Member Posts: 3
    No doc fees just 6% tax, tag, and title. I got a quote from a young tattoo sales dude (don't want to mention the name due to privacy) from Subaru Satellite blvd. for that price. I went there and drove the car. It had enormous power and superb handling. My wife did not like the noise it made from inside. But, still we wanted to get the car with black int. because beige gets dirty unless you are careful. Unfortunately, the entire South East did not have what we were looking for. The tattoo dude was very helpful in searching. Later, the Tronkali Cumming dealership was able to matched the same price, but can't locate the car. Later on we went on to completely another direction by buying Acura TL Auto with Nav for $32,800.
  • tima3tima3 Member Posts: 6
    Becker in Allentown, PA.... 19,169... including doc fees and temp tags.. (+ttl)... Deal went smooth... gotta love it :shades: Happy Happy Joy Joy
    $19,169. Wow! I think that that price is around $1200 less than
    I paid in Northern CA for an identical -06 2.5i SE Auto a few weeks
    ago (plus over $1800 in additional state taxes).

Guess I should have done more research on the actual dealer costs
    versus the various "invoice" prices I found online.
    Actually Ron ... you did get an excellent price.... The dealer cash often varys according to sales volume and the rebates vary by region... (2000 on my deal)...
    You got a $500 greater manufacturers rebate than we did last month. Also, not sure about PA, but CA does require more smog emission equipment added to the vehicle than some other states do.
    Wow, not too long ago you couldn't get it in under $20k, and that's for a sedan.

-juice
  • steve98steve98 Member Posts: 18
    Was that for a wagon or sedan?? Becker does have great pricing!

Thanks
    sedan
  • sobalosobalo Member Posts: 2
    Hi all, I'm a newbie here and I've been reading the legacy threads for the past few days and I think I'm ready to pull the trigger.

My question is, what is considering a fair deal for a 06' 2.5i Ltd Wagon? Around the edmund invoice price?

Also, is it a better deal to take the 0% for 24 months offer over the $1500 rebate? I assume it's either or, right?

Thanks in advance for any insight.
    If you have Excel on your computer, use the PMT() amd IPMT() functions on that. You can find out how much interest you would pay in each period.

Or just add up all the payments, then subtract the price of the car, and you can figure out the total interest paid. It may or may not be more than $1500, depending upon how much you borrow.

I'd take the cash. 24 months is a very short term.

-juice
    I think the Edmunds invoice price is after holdback, so no, it's not fair. Take the rebate.
  • girmanngirmann Member Posts: 26
    I am seeing these all over CT and was wondering what the deal was.

website example: http://www.center.sne1.com/03_AdWizardMainMenuNew.asp

The 06 XT Limited's invoice including rebate is 29,004, website deal is 28,200.

Are these 2006's prices too good to be true? Am I missing something?

Mark
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,215
    The ad says they are used.. Maybe distributor cars, or ex-rentals? Scratch and dent?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Paint-damaged cars bought at auction. Really a good deal, no warranty on the paint but everything else is covered.
  • sobalosobalo Member Posts: 2
    I just want to report what I ended up getting. I got a Legacy 2.5i SE Wagon for $20750 (after $1500 cash back, but b4 tax and license fees). The dealer also threw in a remote starter.

Thank you all for your input.
    Congrats. The SE package is hard to beat for value.

-juice
  • bad2krtbad2krt Member Posts: 3
    Just bought a new GT limited wagon w/homelink, rocker panel trim, armrest and alarm for $27800. $800 less than cars direct.com. Bought it online at thousand oaks subaru. Completed whole deal from Japan including tradein so all the wife had to do was sign the dotted line. Easiest purchase ever
  • cknoxcknox Member Posts: 8
    Does anyone know what the May '06 rebates will be? Haven't seen them announced yet on the site, and it's 4 days in to the month.

Also, does anyone know when the '07 models are expected?
    Just saw them, they look pretty familiar.

-juice
    They got a boost in New England on the Outback 2.5i and Legacy SE.
  • zy1zy1 Member Posts: 31
    Did anybody buy a Legacy SE AT sedan recently? What's the price before the TTL?

I lived in Denver area and there are $1000 rebate to customer and $1500 incentive to dealer. What's a good deal, invoice - $1000 - $1500 -$? ?

Thanks.
  • alaskanwillalaskanwill Member Posts: 28
    Drove it home yesterday: 2006 2.5i SE wagon, silver, 5MT. Options included Homelink auto-dimming mirror, block heater, cargo cover and cargo area net.

Paid $22,000 even plus TTL - I am positive that this is the best price I could have gotten for up here in Alaska, although you should be able to do better almost anywhere else. The rebate right now is $1500 up here. The final price came to about $800 under invoice I think.

I'm just glad to have this process over with. Even though it might not have been a good deal compared to elsewhere in the country, I feel that it's a good price for what I got. Now all I have to do is sell my old Legacy! :)