Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Subaru Legacy Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Congrats, I think you did well in a region known for higher pricing. Enjoy it.

-juice
  • yogayoga Member Posts: 5
    A dealer in New York has a large inventory of two types of vehicles that I might be interested in:
    1) 2005 Legacys and Outbacks that were slightly used by the factory as demos. They have around 3k miles. Not sure of the warranty.
    2) 2006 Legacys and Outbacks that were scratched or otherwise slightly physically damaged due to wind. These all have less than 10 miles and come with full factory warranty.

I am interested in one of these and wondering if anybody has any experience with a vehicle like these. I will be seeing them over the weekend and hoping to get somebody else's opinions (both optimists and pessimists welcome). Thanks in advance.
  • raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    I'm familiar with both. The demos are usually executive cars with 3-5K on the odometer. You lose warranty time and miles but may be able to make it up with a discounted extended warranty. Dealer cost is generally $1,000 less than new, about 20 cents per mile.

The wind-damaged cars are just that, wind damage on the paint voids that part of the warranty only, otherwise they're new. You'll want to have a close look at whatever you buy. These cars were purchased at auction so the dealer may have saved as much as $3,000+ on the vehicle. I've seen cars from these auctions that had little or no noticeable damage.
    If I could get a $3000 discount I'd be all over those. That would be sweet. Who cares about a paint warranty? Give my kids 2 days and the paint is already imperfect.

-juice
    Thanks for the replies. The savings is absolutely immense and potentially irresistable to pass up.
  • obscurantobscurant Member Posts: 1
    I am interested in one of these deals. Can you furnish the dealership name and city of the dealer in New York?
    There's more than one dealer with these cars. Do a search on Autotrader and you'll find a few of them. Another round of 2005 Outbacks were just auctioned off.
  • jchagtdijchagtdi Member Posts: 55
    Try Becker Subaru in Allentown, PA. I don't know how they can sell their vehicles so cheaply. I recently purchased a 2006 Legacy 2.5SE SDN 5 speed manual for $19,100. They advertise in the Allentown Morning Call paper with prices changing weekly. Last week prices were:

Forester X manual $17,999
    Legacy 2.5SE SDN manual $19,600
    Outback 2.5 manual $21,500

The first dealer I visited (closests to my home)wanted to sell me an '06 Legacy with 5000 miles for $500 off sticker. What a joke! I drove down to Becker and took delivery the same day.

Excellent dealer to do business with. If calling or emailing, reference the Ad in the Morning Call.

PS: If going with the 5 speed, I STRONGLY suggest the Momo short throw shifter availble through the dealer. It gives the car a much better, more sporty driving feel. It make shifting fun, rhather than a chore with the OEM gear shift.
    Curry Subaru in New York (Yorktown Heights) has been advertising on the radio lately about the 2006 wind-damage deals.

About those 2005 Outbacks, it is true that there are a bunch of 2005 Outbacks out there that were previously Hertz Rentals (& possibly other rental agencies.) I found this out by telephone calls.
    I'm pretty sure that most of the 2005's are Hertz cars. They seem to be in very good shape mechanically with a few dings, bumper scratches and the interiors need cleaning.
  • ronsteveronsteve Member Posts: 1,194
    I'm in NC and looking to buy a Legacy 2.5GT Limited (5M) sedan, and wondering what I should look for as a good price.

I'm sure it makes a difference that it would most likely involve a dealer trade, but how much of a difference should I figure? And how do I figure the "cost" of the options when it is a dealer trade (i.e. is invoice still really invoice here)?

Finally, I know that the true...i.e. post-rebate...base invoice is $25,9ish, and with the options on most of the stock around here $26,6ish... but are there incentives to the dealer that might be cutting into the cost even more (yes, I know about holdback, but beyond that)?

I think my first number would be $27... curious to know if you think I should legitimately be able to do better.
    2015 Acura RDX AWD / 2021 VW TIguan SE 4Motion
  • monitmonit Member Posts: 4
    Been to several CT dealers and not a pleasant experience. A big difference from 1993 when I bought my 25th Anniversary Edition Legacy. Recent quote is $20,800 out the door. Includes $2500 May rebate.
    $1300 tax
    $95 transfer fee
    $299 conveyance fee (I don't think so!)

I too have noticed a lot of special offers on wind damaged and special direct factory vehicles in NY with attractive prices. Makes me want to head for the border.
    Forgot to add the price quoted is for an 06 SE Sedan(can't afford my dream Limited) and includes one year free oil changes and $1000 trade on my 93 with 164,000 miles.
    Compare with fitzmall.com, though keep in mind we're Mid-Atlantic and you're probably under SoNE's umbrella, where some fees are a tad higher.

Ballpark price sounds right, though, what tranny is that?

-juice
    Automatic. Thanks for the info!
    That rebate could go away this month, your choice. I think you may be able to do a little better.
    Sounds good, then, the autos typically run almost a grand higher. Go for it.

-juice
  • ronsteveronsteve Member Posts: 1,194
    I was quoted $500 over invoice...less the $1500 factoy rebate...plus $249 doc if he can get his hands on it... but at the same time I've got the feeling he's light on my trade.

Anyone have a heads-up on what's happening to the rebates in June?
    2015 Acura RDX AWD / 2021 VW TIguan SE 4Motion
    Not sure on June rebate. Dealers claim they are not told ahead of time. However, I received a "you pay what we pay" letter this past Saturday in the mail, effective June.
  • dandersen2dandersen2 Member Posts: 8
    Just picked up a 2.5i Limited Wagon Automatic. I paid 23,000 even. It included crossbars and a subwoofer. I got several quotes around 23,500 as well, this was with some arm twisting. It was the last day of May and they said they had a quota to meet. This was in the Seattle area.
  • subawhosubawho Member Posts: 1
    Picked up in Fresno. Internet deal in Herwaldts Subaru. 23,700 OTD. In and out of there in 30 mins. Most painless deal ever...last day of May too.
    To both of you.

Join the Subaru Crew threads, and our chat on Thursday nights.

-juice
  • tibbatibba Member Posts: 13
    dandersen2, where in Seattle? I am looking for something similar from Seattle area.
    Thanks
    I used Edmunds and got quotes from several dealers in the sound sound. I ended up getting it in Renton.
  • jeffw330jeffw330 Member Posts: 13
    In Oregon, the SE AT Sedan was $20,500 + TTL in May when the rebates were $1,500. I am thinking that one could be had now for about $20,000 since the rebates went up to $2,000 this month.
  • mpansare1mpansare1 Member Posts: 29
    Hi, I'm getting an offer of $16,200 (plus tax and tags) for a light flood damaged 2006 Legacy Limited Sedan (new), has <20 miles on the odo, in VA. I've checked the car out and driven it. No damage/rust/odors etc. No water anywhere in the engine/tranny/exhaust as far as I could tell. Dealer has done a good job cleaning whatever little water got in. But it comes *WITHOUT* manufacturer warranty (written off as total loss thru' insurance) and flood title. Is this worth it? What can typically go wrong with these cars (should I need service in next 50K miles)? Any advice appreciated.... :confuse:
  • gofer79gofer79 Member Posts: 1
    Hey Guys,

I got a quote for a '06 Legacy GT AWD LTD Sedan 5MT @ $25K with destination charge included but before taxes. Is it a good deal? It has like 70 miles on it, but I usually like to get cars with < 20 on the odo. Please give your feedbacks.

Thanks!
  • mione1mione1 Member Posts: 1
    Just bought my first Subaru ever. I've been a Honda/Toyota guy for years but wanted an AWD car w/ great safety features and some toys too. It came w/ spoiler and compass/mirror and some add ons. I added splash guards and armrest extension. MSRP was $26,808. In South Jersey, dealers are giving $2,000 rebate and 0% financing for 24 months during June- never got a deal with both before! With 6% Jersey sales tax, tags, $1,500 trade in for a car w/ 140,000 miles, my bottom line price for the Legacy was $22,888. Most painless deal ever. Only had it a little more than a week- it handles like a toy. No observable defects :) Hope the service dept. equals the buying experience. I just may now be a Subaru only guy.
    I would check out the Inside Line story on New Orleans cars creeping onto the market and what could be wrong. I'd worry about water in the engine and any damage to the electronics.

Remember, also that you can't ever sell this car. Any buyer that runs a carfax report won't touch this with a ten foot pole. If it was written off as a total loss, I'm skeptical about the claim of light damage. A lot can be hidden by a thorough detail job. With a funky title, even without the funky smell, it could be trouble.

I would make sure you can get it financed and that you can get full coverage insurance for it.

TMV on a certified, no stories '05 is 21K. TMV in "rough" condition, which means problems but clean title is 16,700. If you decide to take this on, I would want a much steeper discount for your hassle.

You might see if your insurance agent could help you estimate what its worth. An insurance company probably has more experience dealing with cars of this kind than anyone else.
  • tdgtdg Member Posts: 6
    All,

I've been reading your messages for a few months now - and have found them a huge help. Here are my figures now:

Cash Price of Car: 24495
    Trade In: 3500
    Tax: 1417.17
    Title & Fees: 15
    Total Due: 22427.17
    Rebate: 2000
    Final Amount: 20427.17

This car is the Legacy 2.5i Limited Sedan + the all-weather floor mats and auto-dimming rear-view mirror with homelink.

I also got the 0.0% for 24 months, but instead opted for the 4.9% for up to 72 months (I took it at 60 months though).

Hope this helps you all. I love this car.
  • yogiowneryogiowner Member Posts: 117
    can i get a 2006 legacy 2.5 limited for $20K all fees included?
  • jskhojskho Member Posts: 107
    Are there any Canadian members here with buying experience to share?

A friend is considering a 2.5i auto sedan in Vancouver, BC.

Too bad invoice info is hard to come by in Canada.

Thanks!
  • jeffmcjeffmc Member Posts: 1,742
    Yogi, you didn't specify sedan or wagon, and there's about a $1k price difference between the two. Also, not sure if you also mean including tax. But either way, an '06 Limited for 20k? I don't think so. Invoice for wagon is $25,300 ($27k MSRP), invoice for sedan is $24,200 ($26k MSRP), both with destination. Take the $1500 rebate (may vary depending on where you live) off of the invoice, and you're at $23,800 for the wagon or $22,700 for the sedan. There's no way a Subaru dealer has $3k to $4k in factory-to-dealer incentives to throw in. I'd think your best possible deal would be about $22,500 wagon or $21,500 sedan - before taxes.

If you're shooting for $20k, I'd say go for the Special Edition instead. No leather, but it comes with plenty of goodies and a bigger $2000 rebate. We just purchased an Atlantic Blue Pearl Legacy SE sedan for $18,900 (about $3500 below invoice) from Carter Subaru in Seattle. Comes with AC, power everything, CD, moonroof, power driver's seat, etc. We added subwoofer/amp and all-weather mats.

Happy hunting and good luck!
    jskjo - Subaru pricing in Canada is pretty steep, way beyond just the currency exchange rate. This site below has great info regarding importing a Subaru from the US to Canada (from Seattle, so not far to Vancouver). Can save you thousands if you're willing to do a little paperwork. Doesn't sound too complicated.
    Also, due to NAFTA, there's no duty to pay on vehicles built in the US or Mexico. Legacy, Outback and Tribeca are all built in the U.S.
    http://www.cars101.com/canada.html
    Thanks for the info jeffmc.
    Warranty is a big concern though. From the website, it indicates that all warranty services must be done by dealer in the US...
    I still remember the exchange rate was ~0.6 only 4 years ago... and now it is >0.9. People were importing cars from Canada back then. The tide has changed.
    Hopefully your friend wouldn't need to use the warranty often, if at all, but it would be an inconvenience to have to drive a couple hours for warranty work.

My wife and I used to vacation in B.C. because it was a good deal. Now it's slightly more expensive than travelling in the States, I think, but we like it so much we still travel there regularly.
    This is the deal we got for a 2006 2.5i SE auto in Vancouver, BC.
    MSRP C$30394
    Wholesale C$27757
    Negotiated price C$29357
    All these numbers include C$1495 freight and PDI as well as C$100 A/C excise tax.

Can probably get another C$200 lower but it is hard to negotiate price in Canada.
    I know, you can easily get this car for $20k in the US but warranty and trade in makes this option unfavorable.
    Also the SE package costs C$699 in Canada but only $300 in the US.
    Got very good price on the trade-in though.
  • raven13raven13 Member Posts: 1
    Just purchased an 06 Subaru Legacy Sedan Ltd.
    Extra accessories:
    - Rear Spoiler
    - Auto Dim mirror with homelink and compass
    - Armrest extension - off black

MSRP: $26,732
    Price paid: $21,798 + TTL
    dealer document fees - $79
    Got the 2.9% APR for 36 months.

I think this is a pretty decent deal for such a wonderful car. I hope this will last for a loooong time without too many problems.
    Congrats to raven and jskho! These really are wonderful cars. My '06 SE sedan feels like I'm driving something much more expensive, and feels about 10 years more advanced than my '04 Outback, which I like very much.

Check out the "Subaru Crew Cafe - Meet the Members II" forum, where Subaru owners can introduce themselves to each other.
    What do people think about the Passat? What's the best deal one can expect to pay?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,681
    Hi yogiowner..

This is a Subaru pricing discussion... If you want to discuss the Passat, you can try here:
    Volkswagen Passat: Prices Paid & Buying Experience

Or, here:
    Volkswagen Passat 2006+

Thanks!,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Thanks! I didn't mean to place it here....
  • subahondasubahonda Member Posts: 75
    I live in Toronto. I don't do trade-ins - sold the old one for twice the trade-in through Autotrader (always do it that way or craig's list)- then the deal is simple. I'll bet the dealer in Bellingham has sold plenty to Canadians. In fact, there is a dealer in Oakville On who sells Subarus from the US (he's on autotrader - his price is $3000 less than in Canada and $5000 more than if you do it yourslef in the US). I bought a 2006 Legacy i-LTD in Buffalo for a about 30% less tyhan in Canada(check the price at kbb.com and edmunds.com). The warranty crosses the border (just ask Subaru Canada and US) - I confirmed this when I had warranty work done in Canada with no problem. The registrar of imported vehicles gives step by step directions (http://www.riv.ca/english/html/how_to_import.html). The main thing to get clear is that US entry point requires that the title be faxed three full business days ahead of entry and they are only open during business hours. They clear the car for export and mark it on the title. You can drive in Canada with no plates (I got a temp NY plate) until you complete the provincial stuff (after the RIV inspection at Canadian Tire) . The US models are completely acceptable for Transport Canada requirements (Daytime running lights, km/hr notations, French language on airbags). The import fee is $206 and there is no duty as the car is made in Indiana. You can get it for $500 over invoice less rebates and no US tax. Freight is included and there is no PDI fee. If you buy it in Canada the best I could find is $700 over invoice and no rebates. The difference is about 8k on the i-Ltd. There are differences in the features per model and colour schemes so shop carefully. A helpful salesman in the US is necessary. The "no recalls" letter can come from the dealer if its a new car, otherwise Subaru America writes it.
  • rbundyrbundy Member Posts: 3
    Quick question for you guys. I am looking at buying my first Subaru. I have priced out the 2.5i Limited wagon from a couple of dealers here in the Columbus,OH area and have gotten them down to Invoice - the $1500 rebate. Is invoice still a good deal, or are dealers willing to go below invoice these days. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Invoice is a fair deal, but if it's '06s you're looking at, you may be able to find a dealer in your area who'll go even lower. I'm in a different region (NW), so incentives for the dealers may be a little different, but I purchased a Specian Edition sedan (a step below your Limited) a couple weeks ago and received about $1500 below invoice before the rebate ($2000 on the SE).

Happy hunting!
    Wow, $1500 below invoice before the rebate is a great deal. I am looking at the 06 model, so maybe I will need to shop around a little more.

It didn't take much work getting the salesman down to invoice, so I was starting to think that I could still get a better deal out there.
    I'd e-mail other dealers in your area for offers. Often the internet pricing they offer is more competitive and no-nonsense right off the bat, because they know you're shopping around and may be a more educated consumer. Means less negotiating is necessary. For example, I didn't haggle at all. It was simply a low, take-it-or-leave it price. Invoice is still a fair price, but anything better is gravy. :) Right now, Subaru must be offering the dealers extra incentive. I think I captured all of that incentive.

The dealer still makes a few hundred on the holdback from the manufacturer, so they're not going broke, just not making much profit. They'll make it up in volume and in the service dept., hopefully. I do want the dealers that have earned my business to make money, so that they'll be around to buy from again in the future! If I find an honest dealership that gives good customer service and pricing, I'll stick with 'em as long as they continue to do so and as long as they're selling a quality product.
  • imoldfellaimoldfella Member Posts: 15
    The best I was offered (Philadelphia, PA area) was 21760.00 on an SE which $400 under invoice (neither of those numbers include the $2000 rebate). If anyone offers $1500 under invoice I'm all over it. Otherwise I'm going to let my SubaruBucks build a little more.
    Looks like Fitzmall is currently offering about $900 under invoice on SE models, before rebate. They're in MD.
    I just bought the 2.5i limited wagon for $1000 under invoice plus the $1500 rebate. I am not sure what sort of dealer incentives are going on, but there must be something extra the dealer is getting if they were willing to go $1K under. This was in Columbus, OH.