Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Subaru Legacy Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• jeffmcjeffmc Member Posts: 1,742
    Congrats! That's a great price on a great car! There's still a dealer holdback of somewhere around $200-$300 that Subaru saves from its profit on each car and sends to the dealer. They're not making much on you're deal, but they're making something.
  • freejerryfreejerry Member Posts: 4
    I got a quote from my local dealer for $1000 below invoice price before $2000 rebate. How is this price? thanks
    Sounds good to me.

Dual-pane moonroof... *drool*. :)
  • in75in75 Member Posts: 1
    In New Mexico (Galles & Davis in Albuquerque), the dealer charged me $1250 below invoice. The price was further dropped by $2k due to the rebate, and I financed the entire amount (including taxes and license) at 0%. Premier Motors in Santa Fe were willing to go quite low as well -- $900 below invoice.

Overall, buying at G&D was very nice: the price was arranged beforehand by email (after an Edmunds price inquiry), the car was reserved for us and stayed on the lot till we came for it a week later. We test-drove it, filled some documents, and we left with the car without paying a single penny (well, we'll have to pay >20k, but that doesn't start till Sept) -- all in under an hour.

Premier motors in SF were also quite good -- in fact, when we test-drove an Outback for the first time a month ago, they let us take it for a light off-roading during the test-drive. However, eventually the lower price at ABQ, as well as their no-nonsense approach won (the SF dealer first wanted 100 above invoice and dropped to 900 below invoice only seeing that I have other offers, while the ABQ one just gave me a take-it-or-leave-it price of 1250 below).
    Another dealer called me said that they have a demo that they want to sell. I am a first time new car buyer. What is a reasonable price for a demo compared with a brand new one. Since I already have one dealer quoted for $3000 below invoice for a new one, what will be reasonble to take the demo instead, thanks
    I've found that almost new Subarus are essentially the same price as brand-new Subarus, as long as you're getting a great deal on a new one. I've seen used for $500 less than new, plus interest rates are usually higher on used. A demo? Depends on the miles... maybe just $300-$400 bucks less, that's my guess.
  • sfnjsfnj Member Posts: 1
    In New Jersey I've received a few internet quotes. Is $26,999 before rebate for a Limited with Automatic, Dimming Mirror w/Homelink, Shock Sensor & Armrest Extension a good deal? Rebate is 2K in this area. Edmunds invoice is $27,581.
  • carfanatic007carfanatic007 Member Posts: 267
    Don't even think about it! Why do you think there is "no warranty"? Light flood damage my eye! Give him over $16,000 for a car with no warranty? It could break down in one day and your screwed!
  • mikekrmikekr Member Posts: 2
    Yesterday we bought Limited Wagon from Rafferty Subaru in Newtown Square. Very pleasant experience.

$1,400 below invoice, before $1,500 incentive. Final price before TTL is $22,815. Invoice + destination is $25,715 (according to Edmunds).

I simply sent email (via Subaru site) to all dealers within 50 miles who got Limited wagons. If they replied with a price (and not all of them did) I would reply back stating my target price.

One dealer was late in answering my email, but came up with even better price - around $1,500 below , before incentive.
    But I already bought the car. Oh, well.
    Finally, I bought the new one. The dealer agreed to sell tht car to me at $1400 below invoice, so after rebate it is $3400 below invoice. Not bad at all!
    Everybody posting here is getting great deals! Way to go, all, and enjoy! I've always thought you get a lot with Subaru... at these prices, it's really an amazing bang for the buck.

Jerry, I think you paid the same amount under invoice that I did when I bought my Special Edition sedan a month ago. The Special Edition trim ads even more value to the dollars spent, I think. These are great cars. Average new vehicle sales price is somewhere around $27k, last I read. Paying around $20 grand for a car of this quality (and with the top safety ratings) almost feels like stealing. :)
    It was after I read other people's post when I knew what is a good price for the car. So when the dealer said that he could offer me $1000 below invoice, I would have jumped all over it if I had not came accross this forum.

But I do notice the huge difference between different dealers. The highest internet quote I received was about $2000 higher than the lowest one. So do shop around, and never give up! BTW, I am in Ohio.
  • mpansare1mpansare1 Member Posts: 29
    Hi, just picked up my 2006 Subaru Legacy SE wagon, Atl Blue with Taupe Interior.
    Options: Splash Guards and all Cargo nets (4) in the rear trunk area.
    Total out the door cost was $21,500 including tax and tags.

Breakdown:
    MSRP: $24973 (Note: cargo nets were thrown in at no cost, did not reflect in the sales price).
    Discount: $2876.24
    Less: $2000 rebate
    Selling price: $20096.24
    Taxes: $1109.76
    Dealer Fee: $99
    Reg/title: $20
    MD tire recycle fee: $4
    MVA fees - TTL - 128+ Title 23 + lien 20: $171
    Total: 21500.00
    Excellent salesman, very courteous and professional. No pressure/gimmicks. Even let me do a full test drive yesterday. Customary full tank of gas provided. Bought at Herb Gordon Subaru in Silver Spring (Briggs Chaney Rd auto park).
    I took advantage of the 'free money' (0% for 24 months, no processing fees here) for part of the purchase price. Why not?
    Service dept. let me pick up the auto dimming mirror/compass + homelink kit for $175 delivered outside the deal.
    :)
    Atlantic Blue Pearl w/taupe... same as my SE sedan. I recommend Scotchguarding the interior thoroughly ASAP.

Congrats!
    Already done yesterday - two coats!! Now I'm trying to figure out how to integrate my Garmin StreetPilot C320 unit in the cubbyhole above the radio/CD player. I've seen posts in the legacygt forums on how to do this, but the Garmin may prove challenging since the dimensions are bigger than the Magellan unit described in the forum. Also want to disable the DRLs - procedure for this is on the forum, so this should be no sweat. :D
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    I have a c320 as well. I think they fit in the bin at the top of the Forester's dash, but those may be bigger.

If you figure it out, let me know. I may try to integrate mine when I get a new car.

-juice
  • luvmbootyluvmbooty Member Posts: 271
    I'm looking for a sedan with great crash test scores, good fuel economy, a roomy interior (have 2 kids age 3 and 9), and at a reasonable price (around 20k, under if possible).

IIHS.org gave it a GOLD rating.

EPA rates city 23 and highway 30.

EPA passenger vol. 93 cu ft.

Are most Legacy's selling around invoice? Has anyone seen an SE with no options? Even at invoice I would be pushing my budget.

Was thinking of considering the VW Jetta Value Edition or Honda Civic EX. Should I consider anything else?
    Jetta VE comes with cheap plastic wheel covers, and reliability is a big question mark IMO.

Civic is a solid choice, but demand is so high some people are paying MSRP. $19,810 at Browns Honda, locally. That's actually more than a Legacy SE locally from fitzmall.com, which runs $19,557 (both automatics).

That's crazy. The Civic is a better value below $18k.

The Legacy gives you AWD and 17" alloys, plus a moonroof.

This is what I call a no-brainer. ;)

-juice
    I would agree 100% with juice. I got the Legacy SE wagon for a shade over $20K + TTL (see post #375). I would not even consider a Jetta because of reliability issues (nor a Passat, even if I had the money to spare). In terms of value, total cost to own, reliability and depreciation, a no-brainer....plus the added 4WD....go for the Subaru :D
    You should be able to get a Legacy SE sedan for anywhere from $2000 below to $3500 below invoice. At least get invoice minus the $2000 rebate. I paid $18,900 for mine (with auto trans, all-weather mats and subwoofer/amp) a month ago. I don't know if I'd call the Legacy's interior roomy, at least not the backseat legroom, but it's attractive, airy and comfortable. See how your kids fit in it. I'd recommend picking an exterior color (Brilliant Silver or Obsidian Black) that gets you the gray interior, not the taupe interior, which looks great but is light and shows dirt easily. If you don't like those exterior colors, make sure you Scotchguard heavily.

There should be plenty of SEs with minimal options. I think most will have at least one or two options, but there will be some that have very inexpensive options.

I think both the Jetta and Civic are overpriced, and wouldn't look at the Jetta because of reliability history. Civic is a good car, but won't be nearly as upscale or fun to drive as Legacy, and it's hard to get a good deal on one.
  • jfljfl Member Posts: 1,396
    When you are ready to shop Subaru, I assume you are aware that from the Subaru.com website you can select a dealer and view their inventory online. (However, not all dealers participate.)

I mention this because most dealers carry Outbacks and Wagons, sedans are sometimes a bit harder to find.

Jim
    and there are some in Long Island, Bayside, and Bronx (all NY area). It was posted to have one on Staten Island where I live but it must have been sold. I went there today.

Seems there are plenty in Jersey, though. White and Atlantic Blue exterior aren't too popular. More of those. Just a few Black and a little more Silver. I already own a 2006 Toyota RAV4 with Silver exterior so I think I'd rather have the Black.

Many of the MSRPs are listed as $23,840. Anyone know what the options might be? I could get this one under $20k, right?
    Would you consider a drive down to MD to pick one up on the weekend? Check Herb Gordon Subaru inventory - shows Atl Blue/Taupe sedan, AT, minimal options, for 18.8K. You should be able to get it down to $20K out the door for your state with tax and tags, or just pick it up with temp tags and get it titled in NY. Call them and ask to speak with their Internet sales rep. The one I dealt with was excellent. EDIT: Make sure they have the car on the lot. The one I bought last week still shows as available on-line...go figure ;)

Negotiate the total cost and get the paperwork in order over the phone before driving down.

Also keep in mind 0% for 24 months + 2000 rebate has been extended till Sept 5 on 2006s. :)
    In the $18s is incredible. Almost seems like the dealer would lose money on that deal.

-juice
    My dealer, which is one of the nation's largest, is out of '06 SE sedans now... seems like the rebates are moving the inventory here in the Great NW. I'd bite soon - the rebates won't get any better and your choices will be more limited pretty quickly.

$23,840 MSRP is about $500 over base SE MSRP, so I'll guess security system upgrade, autodimming mirror w/compass, splashguards and all-weather rubber floormats (which are in addition to the standard carpeted mats), which add up to $512 retail price and are all commonly installed options. Invoice for those options is about $330, FYI. You can find '06 Legacy options and their MSRP and invoice here:
    http://www.cars101.com/subaru/legacy/legacy2006.html#options
  • coffeebean1coffeebean1 Member Posts: 2
    Just got quote from dealer for a GT Limited for $25740 in new york, donno that is a good price or not. Help please. :confuse:
    A GT Limited sedan at invoice starts at $26,782 with a manual trany, automatic starts at $27,876, and atuo with Navi. starts at $29,700. Is it the sedan or wagon? Which does yours have and options included? Was this the first offer on this car?
  • coffeebean1coffeebean1 Member Posts: 2
    It's a manual sedan GT Limited, I not really sure about the option, yes this is the first offer. SHould I jump in or hold for better price u think. THanks
    Ask all the dealers around your area if they can beat that price. Make them compete with each other. Even ask dealers in next state just to get a lower price then if anyone does beat it, go back to this guy and see if he'll go lower. For a first bid, I bet he would. Good luck. ;)
  • subarufan1subarufan1 Member Posts: 85
    is $4000 below msrp a good price for a 2006 legacy gt 2.5 limited wagon :confuse:
    Again, manual or automatic, sedan or wagon, options included?
  • subarufan1subarufan1 Member Posts: 85
    stock legacy ltd gt 2.5 turbo wagon with an automatic. msrp is like 32 grand i belive? 4 grand below msrp sounds good but not sure? :confuse:
  • abl34abl34 Member Posts: 2
    I paid 23K out the door (after taxes and everything, no trade ins) on July 27th - do you think I got a good deal or could I have bargained it lower?
    Sounds great, that's really a Limited, and not an SE?

-juice
    In my state, taxes & fees run about 10% of the vehicle's cost, so I'll guess you paid about $21k for the car, which is about $2k more than I paid for my Special Edition (one step lower), and I got a very good deal. Paying a $2k difference from SE to Limited?... Sounds like you did well! Nice job & congrats. :)
    Yeah, the jump is usually bigger than that. That's why normally I say the SE models are a better value. You got quite a deal, though. You sure it wasn't a demo? How many miles did it have?

-juice
    Yes, MSRP's almost $32k on a GT Ltd wagon. Invoice is about $29,600, minus the $1500 rebate is about $28,000. Sounds like a good deal. Depending on demand for this vehicle, the dealer may be willing to go another $1000-$1500 off, but I think what you've got is a very fair & square deal, so I wouldn't feel bad about taking it if you can't get the price any lower. Good luck to you - that's a very nice car!
  • abl34abl34 Member Posts: 2
    I think it had like 6 miles. It's my first Subaru - I'm basically in love with it already and I don't think I'll ever purchase a different make (unless I make enough to buy a luxury car). They're solid perfect cars that feel like race cars.
  • saabskisaabski Member Posts: 61
    Hello all,

I have an offer of $26,999 on a 06 Legacy GT Limited Sedan (used, five-speed) with about 4300 miles on the car. Is this a good price? I thought this was quite high since NEW Legacy GT sedan is going at $25,750. I was thinking about offering $23,000.

Am I crazy or can I pick up this car for $23,000? This is through a local Subaru dealership.

Any comments would be appreciated.
    $23-24k sounds reasonable, but newer used Subarus don't drop very much in price vs. new. We had the same dilemma recently... I was expecting to get a slightly used Legacy, but with the rebates it was actually about the same for me to go new. It's even more attractive to buy new right now because Subaru's combining low financing rates with the rebates. Having a lower payment on a new Legacy than I would on a used one made it an easy choice. Plus, going new you'd be getting 4300 more miles of warranty, 4300 less miles of wear and tear, and the opportunity to break the engine in yourself. :)

If you've gotta spend $23,000 go with the used. If you're financing, consider going new instead. That's my 2¢.
    The asking price is pretty silly.

Value should drop 10% as soon as you drive it off the lot, so look for a 15% or so drop compared to a new one with those miles.

-juice
  • jae2jae2 Member Posts: 7
    jskho,
    was this a sedan or wagon as the invoice looks lower than expected? i'm looking for the '07 2.5i wagon, but was wondering if the '06 might be a better deal.
    thanks,
    The '06 2.5i SE wagon has cash rebate of $2,000. You should pay under invoice for one. ;)
  • jae2jae2 Member Posts: 7
    Was this in Canada or in US? - the rebate doesn't show up on any sites including carcostcanada. the SE comes out at:
    invoice 30561
    pdi 1495
    total 32156 +GST

thanks,
  • dpalumbodpalumbo Member Posts: 4
    Hi All,

First of all, these forums are great! Never realized just what a wealth of great information there is here...

Okay, to cut to the chase, I'm interested in purchasing a 2005 Legacy GT Sedan, manual transmission. Those are my requirements...not interested in the wagon or an automatic trans (or the "automanual" trans). Is it me or is there a scarcity of these vehciles on the market? I'm finding a heck of a time even finding these cars for sale.

Can someone recommend a resource or two in the Mid-Atlantic area that I might check out to get the best deal on this car?

I've been checking AutoTrader, Cars.Com, legacygt.com, eBay, CraigsList... There is a local Honda dealer in Edison, NJ who has one for $18,995.. 21k miles. This appears to be an okay deal compared with other dealers, but honestly out of all the colors this is the one that I really dislike.

Also, is there a "rule of thumb" regarding how much a dealer will come down from the initial asking price for these cars? i.e., if I did pursue the car above, any ideas how much the dealer could come off? I have nothing to trade (unless the dealer wants a 1995 Dodge Intrepid ;).

But much appreciated if someone could provide some tips on good dealers/resources to find this car at a good price in the Mid-Atlantic region (NJ in particular).

Thank you very much.

Regards,

- Dave
    Fitzgerald Auto Mall in MD is, I believe, the nation's largest-volume new Subaru dealer, so they should have a good selection of used, too.

I think part of the problem is that 2006 didn't have many dramatic changes that would've encouraged '05 owners to trade in.
    Thanks Jeff. Checked out their website, didn't see much..

So I actually looked at one today that was nice.. 23k miles, regal blue. The guy was asking $17,900 but he wasn't moving off that price at all. Not one bit. So I walked...

I thought he might chase me out the door, but nope... I may need to give him a call tomorrow, although honestly I'm not sure how to approach. We'll see...

- Dave
    If you don't like the color and can't find what your looking for, why don't you tell the dealer about the one you saw in Regal Blue. Tell him if he can beat his price, you'll go with him. Make sure you tell him your not crazy about the color. Also that you wanted to be fair. You could try calling the other dealer about the new price the of the undesired color and see if he comes down. You could always get a new paint job if the Blue doesn't work out. Post how it turns out. Good luck! :)
    Honestly, I think $17.9k is not a bad price for a GT. I'd check the tread wear on the tires... if they're the original stock set, they may not have much left on them. Otherwise, if the car's in excellent condition, I can't imagine you could go much lower than $17-$17.5k. Regal Blue's a nice color, too.

If they won't budge on the sale price of $17.9, and this is at a Subaru dealer, maybe you could get them to throw in a free 30k service, or something similar that doesn't cost them nearly as much to give to you as it would for you to pay for.
    You're right Jeff -- $17.9k is definitely a pretty good asking price. I also agree that Regal Blue is very nice on this car. In retrospect, I probably low-balled him a bit too much... I guess I was curious to see what his "real" bottom line was and thought I could determine that quicker by offering a figure lower than the car's worth. I also offered to trade my vehicle in, but admittedly it doesn't have much resale value.

Actually it's not a Subaru dealership...it is a dealer though. The only negative I see about the car is that it doesn't have a spoiler (and it's hard to call that a negative, more like a personal preference). A friend had a spoiler put on his Impreza WRX (2005) by a local Subaru dealer for $300 I believe... so that's not horrible.

I'm really starting to think I should go in there again. Any suggestions on what my next offer should be? I readily admit I'm not too experienced in purchasing cars from a dealer.

Thanks for the help...

- Dave