Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Subaru Legacy Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• pilot1226pilot1226 Member Posts: 166
    I've heard on other forums that the head unit is linked to the speakers, so if you want to replace the head unit then you have to replace the speakers and vice-versa. I'll hunt down a link to get you a source.
  • longislander1longislander1 Member Posts: 112
    If you go here -- http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php? -- and do a search, you'll find plenty of threads on speaker and head unit replacement. I believe you can replace the speakers and they'll work with the existing head unit. People on the Legacy forum say they've done it. I've read you can't replace the head unit with an aftermarket model because the unit is integrated with the automatic climate control. Given the the '09 model is not redesigned and is essentially an upgraded '08, it may be possible to swap out the existing stereo equipment with the new Harmon Kardon stuff. However, I'm not sure how much that would eat into the $2400 price difference between the '08 and '09 that's been discussed on here.
  • jae_hungjae_hung Member Posts: 4
    Thank you in advance for all the info and help I could get from all of you.

Currently I am in the process of negotiating for my very first new car. I am eyeing on a Quartz Silver 08 Legacy Limited w/ VDC, MSRP $25,784. So far my best quotation from dealers is $22,695 (tax&license no included). I wonder how far more can they go for. Also, I will be financing for the car at 60 months term. Currently I am getting quote for 3.9% interest. Is this something that's negotiable? Are they willing to go down to 2.9%?

Please kindly let me know what you think as I am ready to go back and make the final decision. Just do not want to lose a couple hundred dollars because I didn't do research well enough! :P

Thank you! Hoping to get some answers going!
    I checked Fitzgerald Auto Mall in Maryland, which usually has the lowest published prices, and they have an '08 Limited listing at $25,500 MSRP and selling for $22,000, but they don't mention that any financing is included. Given that your car has a higher sticker price and you're also getting 3.9% financing for 60 months, it sounds like a good deal to me. However, I know the car buying environment has changed dramatically in the last few months so maybe there's more room to negotiate. I got my Limited in January for $22,900 (MSRP $25,400+) in NY, paid cash, and got a very fair trade-in price for my SUV (at a time when gas prices were much lower). See if they'll go to 2.9%, but I bet they feel they've hit rock bottom. Another possibility is to ask them to throw in an additional accessory or two.
  • jae_hungjae_hung Member Posts: 4
    I appreciate your feedback, Longislander! Your advise on this discussion was very helpful, especially during price negotiation!
    I just had some final negotiatoin with the dealer; Finally knocked off a couple hundred bucks and got a final quote at $22,200 (tax & license not included). These seemed like the lowest they can go. So I have asked them to throw in a All-Weather Floormat, and a free cap :)

So here is what I will be getting:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ----
    MSRP: $25,784
    Final Quote: $22,220 (tax & license not included)
    Finance Interest (60 month): 3.9%
    Subaru Legacy Limited w/VDC
    Quartz Silver
    Arm Rest Extension
    Auto Dimming Mirror/Compass
    All Weather Floor Mats
    A cap (yes, they threw in a cap, which is something you wear on your head :p )

Please let me know what you think about the price. If everything goes well, I will be on my way to dealership tomorrow and sign some papers!

Regards,
    Jae
    Sounds pretty good! The floor mats are usually "sticker priced" between 50-100 dollars, and honestly the difference between 3.9 and 2.9 is only a few dollars a month. While this does add up over the 60 month life of the loan, you have to keep in mind:

You can get around 3% - maybe higher using online savings accounts like ING. CD's, while somewhat inflexible with taking the money out, could put you above 4% APR interest.

I'm in a similar situation - going to talk final numbers with a dealer Tuesday about the `09 2.5i SE. I plan on putting just a little bit down - which will depend on the interest rate they offer me for financing - and the remainder will go into a 4 separate CD accounts.

1st for months 13-24
    2nd for months 25-36
    3rd for 37-48
    4th for 49-60th.

As these CD's mature, I imagine I will lock the remaining 3 in for another year.

It's a pain in the butt, but with CD's you generally get higher interest rates anyway so if you're got the money to stash away you can actually make the interest you're paying in a bank.
    Looking at the 09 Legacy 2.5i SE Automatic PZEV.

Quoted $21,855 (+tax, title, docs) at Wayne Subaru in Wayne, NJ. This sound like a good price? I'm not crazy about financing, was told the best they can do is 4.9% APR. I'd rather just pay it off in full immediately.

Subaru's color selections are dreadful. Black is the best "color" they have, haha!

Other question is what size tires does the Subaru take? There's another dealer nearby (Bloomfield) that offers free tires for life.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Subaru's color selections are dreadful

Typically you can choose from White, Black, and 3 shades of gray/silver inbetween.

True for the Forester, at least. Even the blue is silver-ish, and the green is a bit, too.

Free tires sounds good if you keep your cars for a long time.
    Yeah, I'm just not a fan of the colors. I mean, sure, I love the Obsidian Black Pearl, but there's nothing that catches my eye.

There's a single shade of blue available for all the 2009's - and it's a bright blue. Where's the navy? The dark greens? The deep red/maroons?

Seems like they ditched the old colors I see on Outbacks from earlier this decade in favor of bland shades.
    Forester has a nice red, but that attracts cops so we ruled it out.

The black shows scratches.

The gray is too dark, it's almost black.

The green is a bit light, more a greenish-silver shade.

The blue is nice - we bought that.

But yeah, no Rally Blue, no deep green, no real flashy colors.
    Biggest thing I'm fighting with now is to find out how much dealer holdback is typically for the Legacy Line.

I wasn't very impressed with the fact that almost as soon as I was in the dealership, they offered invoice pricing almost immediately. This makes me think that they're hiding something.

Granted, I know invoice pricing is so ubiquitous now, I'm sure dealers have rethought their "game" to keep afloat.

So, that being said, anyone know what holdback is typically like for a Subaru?
    I thought it was something like 2%? IIRC...

Even on a $20k car that's only about $400, so not too much wiggle room below invoice.
    Make sure they're including the cash back in their "invoice" price and as I've said before, check out pricing on fitzmall.com (no affiliation with them), which seems to have the lowest published figures of any dealer I've seen. When I bought my Legacy in January, no salesperson would give up any of the holdback. Times are tougher now.
    Congrats! That sounds like a great deal, about $750 less than I paid for a cash deal. Good luck. You'll find it's a great car for the money.
    I know they're 17" but I don't have time at the moment to go out and check the exact size. It's probably listed on the specs at subaru.com. The standard Yokohama Advans are $150 tires, so make sure the dealer offer doesn't include Brand X replacements worth a fraction of the price. Also, I believe these tires have pretty good treadwear, so you may only get one free set within the first 100,000 miles. It might be better to swap the tire deal for more cash back up front.

Some people don't like the Yokos, but I think they're fine. I also think it's pretty impressive for Subaru to include such a pricey tire as standard equipment -- another sign of the car's bang for the buck.
    Well, there's really no cash back as of yet for the `09's because they are still peddling the `08's. I'll make sure they're including all the numbers.

They've itemized Doc fees, titling fees, registration fees, etc. Kind of a nice breath of fresh air to get honesty from a car salesman.
  • linkfeeneylinkfeeney Member Posts: 58
    I live in South NJ
    what's the good price on a 08 or 09 on a 3.0R?
    MSRP is like $32000G
    with that price I rather just get a Infiniti!
  • ahqahq Member Posts: 37
    How much does a G35x go for these days? (G35x AWD, not G35 RWD.) I was looking around a local Subaru lot a week and a half ago... they had a 2008 3.0R Limited for around $29,500, I believe.
    Edmunds' has the sticker price of the G35x with the Premium Package (sunroof, power seats, etc etc) for just above 38,000 with TMV around 34,500. That's about 5,000 more than the 3.0R.

I don't know. Don't discount the Turbocharged Legacy 2.5 Spec B too, it's very comparable in terms of horsepower it seems.
  • night_rangernight_ranger Member Posts: 10
    Hi,
    Just wanted to post my numbers as this forum has been helpful to me in the past.

2008 Legacy GT Limited VDC Auto
    - Homelink Mirror
    - All weather mats
    - Wheel Locks
    $ 26,500 Out the Door.

Thanks!
  • msolomonsmsolomons Member Posts: 10
    My husband and I are looking at two new Subaru's, a Legacy and the Outback Sport. For the Legacy we've been offered this lease:

2009 Legacy Limited (standard leather, heated seats, etc) with factory installed options including spoiler, auto-dimming mirror, and all weather mats. MSRP according to the dealer is $26,645 and lease price (with tax at 7.5%, destination, processing, etc) at $25413 which we're told is $299 over invoice. Residual is 62% and monthly lease payment is $329 with $2500 down (includes taxes, fees, etc) for 36 months at 12K miles a year.

Is this a good deal?
    I'm trying to figure out where the $500 dealer cash back is hidden. Is the dealer making $299 plus the $500 which he's not admitting or is he really only getting $299 over invoice?

Thanks in advance.
  • hellagranthellagrant Member Posts: 31
    About the colors on a Legacy. I like the new colors that they added for the 09s. They have a Ruby Red, which would be good for a female in my opinion. They also added a Bronze which looks really classy and is very unique.

I personally like the shades of gray Subaru has. The light grey is a very clean and neat looking color. The darker grey is sleek looking and has a bit of a metallic shine to it.

Not a huge fan of the black and white. The black is kinda too flat for me and the white is a off-white, so it doesn't shine very well.

The blue is ok, but I really like the blue that comes on the WRX better.

The green isn't my cup of tea.
    Is that the same Bronze from the Tribeca? I like that color...
  • hellagranthellagrant Member Posts: 31
    Yup, the exact same one. I actually just picked up a Legacy in that bronze color. Really awesome color. Only Subaru has a bronze color like that currently (at least that I am aware of). Black and white are cool, but everyone has those colors.
  • brookotterbrookotter Member Posts: 6
    Hi -

Which dealership? I'm looking at similar, w/out the homelink and locks, but add spoiler and remote start, about 27,500 at the moment.

B
  • night_rangernight_ranger Member Posts: 10
    Subaru of Keene, NH
  • mssurreymssurrey Member Posts: 59
    I went to the dealer yesterday regarding an 09 2.5 SE and this is what they told/offered me:

Lease 24 month / 12k miles.
    MSRP is $24693
    Sale price is 21214.
    The salesperson didn't 'know' about any acq fee - but said if there was one it would be 'buit-in'.
    Doc fee 180
    T+R also 'built-in'
    Res is 75% (18519)
    MF is .00280

OTD inc 6% tax = $263-90 per month

Does anyone know what the actual invoice is for this as the sale price (if it includes the acq fee) is much lower that the invoice on Edmunds?

Are there any other financial 'incentives' that i should know about ?
    They say this lease deal is as per the national ads .?

I need a car in a week and really need to get my figures sorted within the next day or two. Any help would be appreciated...

Thanks Guys (and Gals!)
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,570
    What's your amount due at signing?

If it's minimal, that looks like a steal..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

O down and 24 payments.

This is a nationally advertised deal - 0 down, 24 months, 10/12/15k miles (any),
    239 plus tax (10k miles)
    No matter what the numbers are, the payment matters when leasing... and $260/mo. on a 24 month lease is dirt cheap...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• altimatealtimate Member Posts: 74
    That's an extraordinary deal. The national lease deal is 239/mo with 10000/mi and with a 6% tax that would be about 253/mo. That would be on a car with an msrp of about 23K (SE automatic). You're talking msrp of 24600 with 12000/mi and a selling price of $21200. That's $3400 off msrp on a car with about a $1200 markup.
    The only incentive that I know of is a $500 factory to dealer payment which the dealer passes along. If that price is for real I'd grab it.

BTW what options push the price to $24600? I'm getting after market leather and XM radio and 15000/mi which push the price to that level. But no way will I be able to get your price. I expect to pay a little over 300/mo which for all of the above I think is pretty good. Still don't see how you can get what appears to be more than $2000 under invoice. But like I said if this deal is real, grab it.
    The car is a regular SE ie with moonroof, HK sound system, and power drivers seat.

However, although the actual MSRP is $24695, the SE package of approx $1700 has a discount $1400 so its 'cost' is only $300.

BTW, the dealer told me that there's a $1000 dealer rebate/incentive so knocking the cap price down to $20665 after all discounts. 75% residual and 12 k miles per year with 0 down.

So I guess i'll go with this....
    Thanks for all your help guys....
    I'm going to sign up tomorrow
  • altimatealtimate Member Posts: 74
    I was told a week or two back that the incentive had not changed from August ($500).

What area are you in? I'm wondering whether the $1000 incentive might be regional to your area. I'm in Michigan.
  • fotomatt1fotomatt1 Member Posts: 3
    Just curious if anybody has any lease pricing experience with a 2008 or 2009 Legacy GT Limited...preferably with Nav, but without would be helpful too. My lease on my 2006 Forester is ending in a couple of months and I want to get an idea of what the LGT Limited will run me. Thanks in advance!
  • oppamenoppamen Member Posts: 6
    This is what I paid for when I got my car back in December 2007

All the standard option plus
    Auto-Dimming Mirror/Compass w/Homelink
    Center arm rest extension
    Spoiler
    $21980.00 before TTL.

Interest way kinda high when I got my car 5.9 for 5 years. I think I got a pretty good deal when 2008 was fairly new around December.. My friend wanted to get same exact one as mine but they wouldnt give it to him for the same price so he just walked out.
  • jdljrjdljr Member Posts: 11
    Just bought my first Subaru last night, an '09 2.5i SE, quartz silver metallic. On the lot equipped with auto trans/sportshift, armrest extender, fog lights, splash guards and spoiler. Actually, it was exactly what I was looking for (specifically wanted the fog lights, moonroof, spoiler, cloth interior and auto trans). Rides great, quiet, responsive, Extremely happy with the purchase and quality, safety and value. Honestly, I would have expected a higher price tag considering how generously it's equipped. Definitely a tight ride. I originally wanted the GT trim, but was dissuaded when I found out it takes premium fuel. Further, I did not desire leather and the other items that bring a higher price tag with the Limited trim. So for me, the base SE model with the added dealer options that I desired was a perfect fit.

My trade-in was a 2002 Honda Civic LX Coupe. It had 195,200 miles on it and was going to need some work/attention in the coming year. Although it had always had every recommended service at the required interval, some things had never been replaced and who knows when they would have suddenly caused a problem (hoses, starter, alternator, oil pump, fuel pump, clutch, thermostat, various sensors/modules). I was extremely happy with the Civic quality, as the only thing I ever had to replace besides preventive maintenance was the immobilizer (item that reads the ignition key code). I will miss the fuel economy (I was getting 41 mpg driving back and forth to work every day on a mountainous, curvy road, and 46-49 mpg on extended road trips). No, it was not a hybrid. But yes, my numbers are accurate. The dealer didn't give me much for my trade (do they ever?), but with the condition, upcoming work needed and miles (it also needed a little body work for a small dent on the passenger rear quarter panel caused by someone who backed into me) and to avoid the hassles of selling it privately, I am alright with what the dealer and I agreed on.

For my new Subaru I paid $22,462.00, minus my trade, plus fees of 3% tax, $56 tag transfer fee and $199 dealer fee. I got a finance rate of 4.9% thru Subaru (JP Morgan Chase). My dealer also filled the tank when I picked it up, the first service is free and they provide a loaner car for any service visit. Subaru's are VERY common in the mountains where I live and I think I got a good deal.

Definitely think Subaru offers a great value for the money. I primarily went with Subaru because of the AWD and safety rating. I hope that having the AWD will make a difference on snowy/icy days this winter.

Happy to now be among those that own a Subie!
    Congrats.
  • sainteyegorsainteyegor Member Posts: 1
    I just picked up my first Subaru last week at Stohlman Subaru in Herndon, VA for $27070. The MSRP was a shade under 32K. I also got financing for 3.9% via JP Morgan/Chase. I'm not sure if this was a fantastic deal or not, but it was a very painless transaction. I used subaru.com to find dealer stock that matched what I was after then pointed out to the dealer that another dealer had a nearly identical car for $700 less. They ended giving me the dealer holdback as well as the rebate.
  • connieyleeconnieylee Member Posts: 29
    I saw that bronze color online and thought it looked pretty nice, but is the beige interior very light? Are you worried about it showing dirt easily?
  • connieyleeconnieylee Member Posts: 29
    Have you actually bought at Fitzmall.com or have you used listings on that site to negotiate a price?
  • oppamenoppamen Member Posts: 6
    Whats the interest rate on 2008 Legacys right now? I went to Subarus website and it said 0% but didnt say if it was for 60 months or not.

Tell me what you guys think if you think its stupid or not. I have 2008 i limited right now that I bought in December with 60 months 5.9% APR. I have around $15,500 right now to pay off. I want to get 2008 2.5 GT model. When I was in dealership getting a oil change I asked the sales person if I can get a rough estimate how much the GT will go for. He just gave me rough estimate and told me I can get the GT for $28,000 before TTL. My trade in was around $17,000. Im sure I can lower the price of the car and try to get more for my trade in. Do you think its possible to get around $350 monthly payment for 60 months If I traded my car with GT with 0% financing? 5.9% interest is way to high but I had no choice and thats whats bugging me. I can get 0% and save that 5.9% and get better car. What do you guys think?
    $15,500 current loan
    $11,000 New car minus trade-in value
    $1,000 Sales tax (estimate)

$27,500 Amount financed

60 payments at ZERO% = $458.33 per month

Thats' assuming 0% is available for 60 months.. I have no idea.

5.9% is not a bad deal on a car loan.. maybe not the lowest, but not bad.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• ala2008ala2008 Member Posts: 2
    Hello everyone, has anyone happened to ask for price of the 08 Legacy 2.5i SE AT cars? A dealer quoted $19700 before tax, doc and registration fees. Note sure it is good. And one of the fees is called ETCH. It costs about $149. I never heard of it. Thanks.
    No. I did speak to a sales rep there who verified that the pricing is legitimate. They also offered to handle the transfer of the NY plates and registration for me. I searched and could not find any customer complaints on them (unlike the multiple complaints I found about another out-of-area, high-volume dealership). They seemed very well-organized and businesslike over the phone. I tried to use their pricing to do better with the Long Island dealers and found that it got me another another $200 or so. When I narrowed it down to two LI dealers, I couldn't get either of them to go below $22,900. Part of that might come from the fact that both offered me about $500 more on my trade than (as I later found out) prevailing auction prices. Another factor is the higher cost of doing business and lower volume for LI dealers vs. Fitzmall. In the end, I chose to go with a dealer very close to my home. For me, it was better to sacrifice the lower Fitzmall price for the convenience. I bought two '08s at the local dealership and they've treated me very well with the service. However, if I lived closer to Fitzmall, I'd probably try to take advantage of their lower pricing. Hope this is helpful.
    I'm pretty sure people were getting those prices on the SE a number of months ago when the car business wasn't in the tank, the model year was younger and people didn't know that the '09 SE would have upgrades like the Harman Kardon stereo and VDC. Remember, the '09s are out now and the Legacy is due for a major overhaul in 2010, so what you're considering is essentially a "leftover." (I read something to the effect that the 2010 model is going to be larger to compete better with Accord, Camry, etc.) With the economy the way it is, I think that any serious buyer walking into a car dealership today should be treated like gold. You should bargain very hard. On the other hand, if you need financing, the dealer will be holding some of the chips.

ETCH might refer to some number (VIN?) that's etched onto the car's glass as a tracking mechanism if it's stolen. To me, it's another gimmick primarily to boost the dealer profit, like rustproofing, etc. I'd be leery of any dealer that tacks this stuff on without an explanation. If you want the car, you should make like this isn't even there when you negotiate. The dealer should eat it because it probably costs him little or nothing. Good luck with your purchase.
  • ala2008ala2008 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks very much, longislander1.

It's very helpful.

Like what you said, I should and shall bargin very hard.
  • jdljrjdljr Member Posts: 11
    When I was purchasing my Legacy a couple of weeks ago, I inquired as to how far out the 0% financing goes on the 2008. I was told it goes out only 24 months. Beyond that, it was 3.9% up to 60 or 72 months. I ended up buying a 2009 Legacy and financed through Subaru (JP Morgan Chase) for 4.9% for 72 months.
  • canddmeyercanddmeyer Member Posts: 410
    Congrats on the new Subie. Just a word of caution though, if you had snow tires on the Civic I'd still recommend them on the Subaru.
    Congrats. Sweet car.